Growing Pains

Guest Red Ranger 1

And another one I promised a short while back.Hope that everyone who wanted to know what happened after the original story enjoys it.

Story Title: Growing Pains

Type of story: Short/Medium Fic

Main Characters: Jai and Annie and maybe some others

BTTB rating: T

Genre: You know, the whole "Coming of age" thing probably still fits...

Does story include spoilers: No

Any warnings: Sexual content:Mild to moderate references.Violence:None.Language:None.

Summary: Annie returns to Japan to find Jai apparently settled but it soon becomes clear they both have to make a decision about their future.

CHAPTER 1

“So what are we doing here?”Jai asked, somewhat bemused.

Nina looked at him, disappointed.“It’s the last day of the holidays.”

Jai processed this information.“And?”he said at last.

“And, well, this is where it all started.”

Jai stopped and looked about them.Todoroki Ryokuchi park.He remembered that first day, just after they’d said goodbye to Annie, when they’d sat on one of the benches and she’d asked him to spend the holidays with her.“I really should have remembered that, shouldn’t I?”he sighed.

Nina shook her head in amusement, linking arms with him.“Australian boys.You are so clueless!”

“But why this part though?I mean, if we were in one of the parts with flowers and grass and stuff, wouldn’t that be better?”

“You don’t like the open air museum?”

Jai paused.To be fair, it was quite a nice place to be, with examples of traditional Japanese architecture all about them.He smiled.“I like.”

“Good.”She took his hand.“Then let’s take a look then.”

Jai pulled her back.“Wait a second.Are we seriously going to spend the last day of the holidays going round a museum?”

Nina gave him a look.“You have another suggestion?”She saw him starting to stammer and smiled.“My parents have invited you round to tea.”

“They have?Why?”

“They just think that, because we’re closer friends now, they should get to know you better.”

Jai thought this over.“Yeah, I like the sound of that.”

Annie wasn’t quite sure if she should mention that she was finding breathing difficult.Mrs.Komano had grabbed her in a tight hug as soon as she’d stepped through the door, jabbering away in Japanese in a delighted manner, even though Annie could only understand the basics of the conversation.Eventually she released her and clapped her on the cheeks.“Welcome,”she said.

Annie smiled.“Thank you, Komano-san.”She looked around.“Is Nina here?”

Mrs.Komano shook her head.“Nina not know you here.”

“Oh!”Annie wasn’t sure how to take the news.Coming back to Japan had happened in such a rush in the end, after all the weeks she’d had to decide, and she hadn’t had a chance to talk to Nina about it.Knowing that her friend wasn’t aware of her return had wrongfooted her slightly.

“Surprise,”Mrs.Komano assured her,“Nice surprise.”She gestured to a chair.“Sit.Back soon.”

Annie watched Mrs.Komano go back into the kitchen but she didn’t take her up on the invitation.Instead she went to the window, looking up and down the street.She was pleased to see Nina in the distance and somewhat surprised to see Jai with her.She’d had even less contact with him than she had with Nina over the holidays but she was looking forward to seeing him again.This was a chance to see them both together.

Jai and Nina stopped suddenly, a few yards from the house.And then they kissed.Not a peck on the cheek, a real proper, serious kiss, like Romeo had given her.Like Jai used to…

Annie stepped back from the window and sat down in the seat, suddenly feeling like she was intruding.

“Should I have brought something?”Jai asked as he and Nina came in the front door.

“What, like a bottle of wine?”Nina teased him,“Or perhaps a tiger that you have killed with your bare hands and brought as an offering.”

“Or…flowers?”

Nina smiled.“You being here will be enough.”She kissed him lightly on the lips, took his hand and led him into the sitting room.

They both froze in the doorway.

Standing in front of them, Annie raised a hand awkwardly in greeting.“Hi, guys.”

Thanks for your comments, everyone, I hope you like where this ends up going.

CHAPTER 2

There was a long pause.

“I…I didn’t know you were coming back,”Jai said at last.

“It was kind of a last minute thing,”Annie agreed,“I mean, it only got decided properly yesterday.I got in touch with the school and…and they spoke to your mum and she said it was fine for me to go on staying here…”

“Mum knew you were coming?”Nina asked.

“Yeah, I thought she would have told you but…I think she meant it to be a surprise.”

“It worked,”Jai confirmed.

Mrs.Komano came back in.“Surprise!”she announced.

The three teens smiled, but they had to force themselves to do so.“I should probably go,”Jai decided at last.

Mrs.Komano looked surprised and more than a little disappointed.“Stay!Eat!”

“No, really, I’m sure Annie and Nina want to catch up.”

“No, I’d like you to stay,”Nina assured him, grasping his hand.

Annie nodded.“Me too.”

Jai looked back at Mrs.Komano.“Stay.Eat.”

Although Jai kept his promise to stick around for dinner, he made his excuses soon afterwards.Mrs. Komano persuaded her husband that there was something they urgently needed to do in the kitchen, leaving Annie and Nina alone in the lounge.

“So how was home?”Nina asked.

Annie paused, thinking.“It was…different.And also kind of exactly the same.”Nina looked at her, puzzled. “I guess it was me that was different.It still felt like home but…I didn’t really feel like I belonged there anymore.It felt like I’d gone backwards in my life.”

“What about that boy you mentioned?”

“Romeo, yeah.”Annie gave a sad smile.“We went out for a while and that was nice.”

“Just nice?”

“Yeah.”Annie thought for a moment.“I mean, it was more than nice, I guess, it was wonderful and romantic and a year ago I probably would have been bowled off my feet by the whole thing but…being out here, it amazed me.I kept waiting for that same feeling, that amazement, and…I never felt it.”

Nina sat with her in silence for a moment then placed a hand on her shoulder.“Well, we’re all glad to see you again.”

“Thanks.”Annie paused before asking,“So…you and Jai?”

Nina smiled awkwardly.“Yeah, I guess you weren’t expecting that.”

“Not really, I mean, how did that happen?”

“I suppose it was when we were all doing that concert together, we began spending time with each other and something just clicked, I realised that I liked him.It developed over the holidays.You’re all right with it, aren’t you?I mean, I know that you and him used to…”

Annie raised a hand dismissively.“Hey, I’m over it.I just wasn’t expecting it, that’s all, one of my best friends and…one of my other best friends.Is Jai all right?He left pretty quickly.”

Nina nodded.“He’ll be fine.”

Jai’s head was in turmoil.Finding Annie standing in Nina’s living room when they’d just come back from a date was not something he’d been expecting.If he was honest, despite everything she’d said before she left, he hadn’t expected to see her again.He’d always thought that if she and Romeo had a chance to spend some time with each other then they’d get together and live happily ever after.What exactly had happened back there?

He was pleased to see her, of course.Well, he thought he was.He knew that he’d missed her when she went away.But now that she was back, he wasn’t really sure what that meant for them.He’d spent most of the past year having to stand by and watch as Annie went out with other people…and now suddenly the boot was on the other foot.

He’d just got back into the house when he bumped into Boshirou.His friend looked at him, probably surprised that he was home that early.“Good date?”

“Yeah, good date,”Jai confirmed but he knew he had to say more than that,“Annie’s back.”

Boshirou looked confused.“You go on date with Nina?”

“Yeah, I went on a date with Nina.But Annie’s back living with her so I saw her at the house.”

Boshirou nodded.“I need help,”he said at last,“Date.”

Jai had to smile at the idea.It had been on the rockclimbing trip that he and Nina had gone on at the start of the holidays that Deiji, one of Nina’s friends, had had a falling out with her boyfriend and broken up with him.Then when he and Nina had started dating, their friends had started spending time with each other and, somehow, no-one was entirely sure how, Boshirou and Deiji had ended up agreeing to go on a date.

It was a prospect that seemed to excite and terrify Boshirou in equal measure.

Jai put his arm round the other boy’s shoulder and led him upstairs.“Okay.Let me give you the benefit of my not-so-vast experience…”

Glad people are reading this, hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 3

Annie had rushed to answer the door without really thinking who it might be.Finding Jai standing there brought her up short.“Oh, er, hi.”

“Hi,”he returned, hovering in the doorway as though uncertain if he was welcome or not.

“You’d better come in,”she told him, showing him into the sitting room.In truth, she should have realised they would bump into each other eventually, even if they were in Nawasaki rather than Summer Bay.In fact, given that she’d been about to leave for school, she was expecting to see him sooner rather than later. Just not that soon.

“I’m supposed to be walking to school with Nina.”

“She told me,”Annie confirmed.She gave an awkward smile.“So…you and her, eh?”

Jai nodded.“Yeah.”

“You never said.”

He shrugged.“It never came up.”

In truth, Annie had to admit, there was a lot they hadn’t said.They’d exchanged a few e-mails but they’d been short on details, mainly concentrating on how they were and things that the other already knew or that didn’t affect them.She’d never mentioned her relationship with Romeo, just as he’d never mentioned that he was seeing Nina.

“So, how serious is it between you two?”

Jai considered this.“Pretty serious, I guess.I mean, I like her, I like being with her…”

“How far has it gone?”Annie blurted out the question, not even sure why she was asking.Taking an interest in your friends’ relationships was normal, right?

Jai blinked.“You mean, have we..?”

“Yeah.Cos, I mean, Romeo and I did.”

He stared at her.“You..?”He didn’t seem able to finish the question.

Annie nodded, aware that things were getting more and more awkward by the second.“Yeah, just before I left.I mean…I think we both knew that we wouldn’t see each other again and we loved each other so…I wanted him to be my first time.”She swallowed hard.“You and Nina?”

Jai hesitated for a moment longer.“Yeah, we’ve done it,”he said at last,“After we’d been going out a couple of weeks.It just seemed like the right time, you know, for both of us.”

“Yeah, I know.”Annie had expected the revelation to ease the tension in the room but things still seemed just as awkward.“It’s good we can talk about things like this.”

“Yeah,”Jai agreed, seeming less than enthusiastic.

It was perhaps a relief to both of them that Nina appeared in the door at that moment.“Hey, you’re here,” she greeted Jai.

He got to his feet and gave her a peck on the lips.“Shall we go?”

Nina glanced at Annie.“Do you want to walk with us?”

Annie shook her head.“You don’t want me getting in the way.”

“Okay, see you there.”

As she watched them go, Annie wondered why she’d lied.She hadn’t slept with Romeo, of course, hadn’t even discussed it with him.But she wanted Jai to feel he could tell her things and knowing that she was being open with him would help, wouldn’t it?

Even if it was a lie.

“Are you all right?”Nina asked when Jai had been silent for half the journey.

Jai had been deep in thought but her comment drew him out of it.“What?Oh, yeah, sure.”

“Did Annie say something?”

Jai wondered whether or not to tell her, whether discussing your ex with your current girlfriend was a sensible thing to do.“She slept with Romeo.”

“Oh!”Nina looked surprised.“She didn’t say anything.”

“Really?”Jai had always thought that girls told each other things like that.But he was beginning to suspect he didn’t understand girls as well as he thought.Especially Annie.

“Does it bother you?”

“It shouldn’t,”Jai acknowledged,“But…when we were together, she always said she wanted to wait until she was married.And then she has, what, goodbye sex with Romeo?”He sighed.“I guess it was me she wasn’t interested in, not sex.”

Nina felt slightly uncomfortable at his sudden admission.“I know we’ve talked about it…”

“Yeah and we decided we weren’t ready,”Jai agreed.

“I mean, I know I slept with Hugh but…”

“But you want to take it slowly this time.I know, so do I.”Jai nodded decisively.“It needs to be right.”

Nina smiled at him.He wondered if she’d still be smiling if she knew what he’d told Annie.

Thanks for all the comments.

CHAPTER 4

“So how was your first day back?”Jai asked.

Annie had been waiting by the gates for Nina and hadn’t heard him approach.“I don’t know, I seem to have just slipped back into it,”she admitted,“Um, I was waiting for Nina, were you two going..?”

“No, no,”he reassured her,“I need to get home, Boshirou’s in the middle of a crisis.I was just wondering, we haven’t had much of a chance to catch up on the gossip from back home.Did you see anything of Miles while you were there?”

“A bit,”she answered,“I mean, I saw him around school.”She smiled as she remembered the details of her visit.“I got the lead in the school play.”

“Oh, what was it?”

She gave an embarrassed cough.“Ah, Romeo and Juliet.”

Jai’s face clouded over slightly.“Guess Romeo was Romeo, huh?”

“Um, no, actually, I was.”That prompted a bemused smile from him.“Mel Blakeney was directing it, she had some funny ideas.”

“Are you two catching up?”Nina asked as she approached them.

“Yeah, just finding out what’s happening back in Summer Bay.”Jai kissed her on the cheek before heading off in the direction of Boshirou’s house.

Nina linked arms with Annie and led her in the opposite direction.“So, have you been keeping secrets from me?”

Annie looked at her in surprise.“What do you mean?”

“Why didn’t you tell me you slept with Romeo?”

Annie hesitated.If she told Nina the truth then it might get back to Jai that she’d lied.But Nina was her friend, she didn’t feel comfortable lying to her.“I didn’t.”

“That’s what I said…”

“No, I mean…I didn’t sleep with him.”

Nina looked confused.“But Jai said…”

“I told Jai I did but…I didn’t.”

They’d stopped walking now, Nina staring at her.“Why?”

“Because I wanted him to feel he could talk to me about you two and I thought if I told him something that big about me and Romeo it might make him feel more comfortable.”

“Annie…you don’t still like Jai, did you?”

“No, I told you, that’s long over.I just…I want us all to be friends.”

She was relieved when Nina smiled.“Me too.”

It was D-day.Which, Jai supposed, stood for Date-day.Boshirou was meant to be meeting Deiji in a little over an hour for a quiet meal and a violin recital at Todoroki Arena.It was probably going to take him most of that to decide what to wear.

Boshirou held up a multi-coloured shirt, a swirling mass of reds, yellows and greens.“This?”

It had to be said that Boshirou’s dress sense could come across as eccentric at times and the shirt was at least an improvement on his usual smocks.Jai thought it was a shame that his friend was so much shorter than him and so lending him a shirt was out of the question.“Hang on, let me take a look.”He moved past him and looked through Boshirou’s wardrobe.It had to be said, the shirt was the best thing on offer.“Yeah, good.”

Boshirou smiled and placed the shirt on his bed.“Now…how to be?”He looked at Jai as though expecting some wondrous and magical answer.

“Boshirou, I’ve only had two girlfriends,”Jai complained.How did he suddenly become the expert on relationships?

“Tell me,”Boshirou insisted.

“Okay, um…Take an interest in her, ask her what’s been doing, tell her she looks nice.Girls like that.”

“Talk?”He didn’t look too at ease with the prospect.

“Well…if you do it right, maybe she’ll talk and you can listen.Um, open doors for her, hold her chair out, do the whole gentlemanly thing.They like that too.”He sighed and patted his friend on the shoulders. “You’ll be all right.”

Thank you for all your comments, it's good to know that people are reading this.

CHAPTER 5

The knock on the door was light and fairly inoffensive.But it was enough to have Boshirou practically shaking in his boots.“You answer,”he told Jai.

Jai looked at him in exasperation.“You need to see her at some point.”

Boshirou shook his head.“Not ready.”

“Ready.”Jai pushed him in the direction of the door.“Go on.”

Jai stepped back out of view around the corner of one of the doorways, watching events unfold in the hall. Boshirou answered the door to reveal Deiji standing there.Jai strained to listen to their conversation, wishing he had more than a basic grasp of the language.

She was smiling.That was good.Better than that, she seemed to be smiling at something he’d said. Boshirou’s tone was becoming slightly more confident as the conversation went well, obviously remembering there was a reason they’d arranged the date in the first place, that they got on with each other. She offered her hand to him and he took it, carefully closing the door behind them.

Okay.So far, so good.

“The third day was even better.That was when we got to do some abseiling.”Nina was filling Annie in on the details of the rock climbing trip.

Annie’s eyes widened in astonishment.“Weren’t you scared?”

“A bit.It was safe, we had ropes and the supervisors checked the safety equipment beforehand.No-one fell off a cliff or anything.”

Annie sighed.“I wish I’d been there.”

Nina smiled back at her.“I wish you had too.But you got to be the lead in a school play and have the big romance with your leading man.Or should that be leading girl?”

Annie smiled.“Yeah, there is that, I guess.What about you and Jai?Was it on the trip where it happened?”

Nina faltered for a moment.“I suppose so,”she admitted,“I invited him on the trip because I liked him and I think he knew that by then.We spent most of those first few days together.”She smiled.“Had our first kiss on the top of a mountain.”

Annie was pleased by her friend’s openness but there was one detail she seemed to have left out.“And when did you…take things further?”

Nina looked at her, confused.“Well, we went on a few dates together when we got back…”

“No, I mean, when did you, you know…”Annie was finding the words uncomfortably difficult to get out, not helped by the fact that Nina really didn’t seem to have a clue what she was talking about.“Sleep together?”

There was a mildly offended look on Nina’s face.“You think I’ve slept with Jai?I know things happened with me and Hugh but…”

“No, it’s all right!”Annie interrupted desperately, realising she’d said the wrong thing,“He told me!”

The comment didn’t seem to change Nina’s confusion.“Told you what?”

“Jai, after I’d told him about me and Romeo…”

“After you’d lied.”

Annie bit her lip but couldn’t deny the truth of the remark.“He told me that you had as well.”

Nina stared at her in a mixture of confusion and anger.“Jai told you that we’d slept together?”

Nina pushed her way past Jai into the house.“How could you?”

He stared at her, flummoxed.“How could I..?”

She shoved him angrily.“You told Annie we’d slept together!”

Jai looked around worriedly.“Careful, Boshirou’s parents might have been home.Raised voices sound the same in any language…”

“It’s a bit late to worry about who hears, who else have you told?”

“No-one,”Jai insisted,“It’s just…”He broke off.

“Just what?”Nina demanded.

“It’s complicated.”Jai sighed.“Annie and I kind of have this history, she didn’t believe in sex before marriage and I respected that but…I guess I didn’t believe in it quite as much as she thought I did.We were together for ages and I waited and then she tells me that she slept with Romeo?When they’d only been together a few weeks?”

Nina looked unimpressed.“So, what, you felt you needed to keep up?”

Jai hesitated.“Yeah, I guess that’s pretty much it,”he admitted,“Look, I’m sorry, I’m an idiot, I didn’t stop and think how it would affect you.If you want, I’ll go to Annie right now and tell her I lied.”

Nina faltered, considering that.In truth, it was only Annie who knew and she was unlikely to tell anyone or judge her for it.And then there was the fact that Annie had lied too:If Jai told her the truth, would she feel the need to do the same?And would Jai then find out that she’d been keeping it from him?How had she ended up helping the two of them lie to each other?

“It’s okay,”she said at last,“I guess we’ve all got secrets.”

Thanks for all the words of encouragement, hope you like this.

CHAPTER 6

“Do you know what they’re saying?”Jai asked.

Nina strained her ears then shrugged.“Too far away.”

They were standing at the other end of the school playground, watching Boshirou and Deiji chatting.They had both spoken to their respective friends after the date and gathered that it had gone well but hadn’t really managed to gather any information beyond that.

“They’re smiling,”Jai noticed,“That’s got to be a good sign, right?”

“It could be a ‘Just good friends’ smile,”Nina pointed out.

“Really?”

“Well, you smile when you and Boshirou talk to each other.”

“Do I?”

“Sometimes.”

She continued looking at the pair while Jai considered her words.“Yeah but I don’t smile like that though, do I?”

“Hey, wait.”Nina nodded in the pair’s direction.“Watch.”

They saw Deiji give Boshirou a gentle kiss on the lips, having to bend down in order to do so.They both carried on smiling and chatting.

“I kinda feel like a proud parent,”Jai noted.

“Guess Deiji really loves violins,”Nina commented.

Jai paused and looked at her nervously.No matter how friendly their conversation was, he couldn’t help wondering about their argument the previous night.“So, er, about what I told Annie…”

Nina didn’t look at him.There was a studied casualness about her expression, as though she wasn’t entirely sure how to react.“It’s okay.”

“I mean, I guess I didn’t really think about how it would affect you…”

“Jai.”She looked at him and gave an awkward smile.“It’s okay.”She gave his hand a gentle squeeze.

He smiled back, just as awkwardly.“Good.”

Annie was alone.She wasn’t entirely sure how that had happened.She’d spoken to Aki and Deiji and some of the other girls at school about how she needed to go shopping for some new clothes but they’d all been busy.Normally she’d have asked Nina and, failing that, Jai, who could normally be relied on to carry shopping bags and avert his eyes in an embarrassed manner when she asked him for his opinion.But since she’d got back, she’d found that, as a rule, if one of them was unavailable you could guarantee the other one was too.

Annie was just looking through the windows of one of the dress shops when a voice behind her asked, “How you doing, Annie?”

She spun round at the voice, astonished, equally astonished when she saw the face that went with it. “Hugh?”

Hugh grinned at her.“No need to sound disappointed.”

“What…what are you doing here?”Hugh had been the other exchange student when Annie and Jai had first gone to Japan but unlike them he’d chosen to go back to Australia.

“I had a bit of holiday time back home, I thought I’d come over here and visit Piko.”Piko had been the son of Hugh’s host family.“I’m in the country a few days.”

“So, how are things back home?How did your dad feel about you going back?”

“Actually…he was better than I expected,”Hugh revealed,“He said he felt I’d done a bit of growing up since I was away.I’m doing well at school.”He smiled.“I’ve even got a girlfriend.”

Annie raised an eyebrow slightly at the remark.After all, both she and Nina had gone out with Hugh during his time in Kawasaki and quickly decided they were better off as friends.“And that’s unusual?”

“No, I mean…I kinda listened to your advice about how to treat girls.She’s someone I’ve had my eye on for quite a while, but I never really managed to catch her attention like I did other girls.I mean, she never went to any of the games…”

“Never stood on the sidelines gazing at you adoringly?What was wrong with her?”

Hugh smiled at Annie’s sarcasm.“Yeah, something like that.So I ended up asking if I could work with her on a Geography project and we got talking and we hit it off.Been together nearly two months now.”His expression took on an irritated touch.“No sex yet though.”

Annie couldn’t help smiling.He obviously hadn’t changed that much.“Well…sometimes waiting works.”

“So, what are you up to now?”

Annie gestured at the shop.“Well, I was just about to buy a new bra.You want to help?”

Hugh looked as lost for words as she’d ever seen him.“Well, er, I…”

She smiled and took his arm.“Let’s go for a coffee.”

Thanks for your comments.

CHAPTER 7

Annie and Hugh had found a quiet coffee shop to have a drink and were sitting by one of the windows.“So, what have I missed?”Hugh asked.

“Not a lot,”Annie admitted,“You know I went back home not long after you?”

“Yeah.What happened to that guy you had back home?”

“We went out for a bit but it didn’t work out.”Annie hoped Hugh would consider that subject over.The last thing she wanted was another discussion about Romeo.

“What about Jai?”

Annie sighed, feeling more unhappy about the answer than she cared to admit.“He’s dating Nina now.”

“Really?”Hugh looked surprised.“Didn’t see those two coming.I was sure that if you came back you two would end up together.”

It was Annie’s turn to look surprised.“Really?”

“Yeah, everyone knew that he still liked you.”

“Yeah, I know,”Annie admitted,“but…I kept saying it was over.”

Hugh was giving her an unusually insightful look.“And how did you feel when you found out about him and Nina?”

“Surprised.”Hugh was still given her that look.“And…a bit disappointed,”she admitted reluctantly.

Hugh nodded, satisfied.“You liked the fact that he liked you.”

Annie winced.“You’re making me sound like some sort of horrible person.”

“No.Trust me, I know it’s nice to have people look at you like that, even when you don’t really want to go out with them.”

“Okay, now you’re really making me sound like a horrible person.”Annie thought about what he said.“I dunno, I want him and Nina to be happy and…and when he kept trying to get back with me and not accepting it was over, I just found him irritating.But, I don’t know…when I found out him and Nina were together, I guess I was kind of disappointed that he’d moved on.”She glared at Hugh.“You were a lot more fun when you weren’t so clever.”

Jai and Nina had gone to one of the city’s bars for dinner.Fortunately, it was still early in the evening and the ubiquitous karaoke machine hadn’t had many patrons so they’d been able to carry on their conversation in relative quiet.

“I was talking to Annie about the rock climbing trip earlier,”Nina remarked.

“Oh yeah?What did you tell her?”

“About our first kiss and our first night of passion…”

Jai grimaced slightly at her teasing.“Yeah, okay, I think we’ve got enough mileage out of that one…”

“Mmm, no, not yet.”Nina’s expression changed as she remembered her original point.“It’s a shame she didn’t come with us.”

“Things might have worked out differently if she had.”Jai saw Nina give him a sharp look.“I mean… you’d probably have spent all your time with her,”he explained hastily.

Nina seemed to accept the explanation.“All the same, I think she would have enjoyed it.It’s a shame we can’t go again.”

“Not enough money or school holidays,”Jai agreed.He suddenly looked thoughtful.“Unless…”

Nina looked at him, confused.“Unless what?”

“Do you think it would be possible…”

“There’s Jai and Nina!”Annie called suddenly.

She and Hugh hurried across the street to their friends, who had just come out of the bar.“Hey, you two!” Hugh called.

Jai gave him a curious look.“Hugh.I didn’t know you were back here.”

“Just for a couple of days.Thought I’d catch up on some old friends.”

“And what, you started with Annie?”

“We just bumped into each other,”Annie explained,“We went for a coffee together.”

“Annie told me about you two,”Hugh noted,“Congratulations.”

The comment seemed to stop Jai eyeballing him slightly.“Thanks.”

“Actually, we were just talking about you,”Nina told Annie,“We had an idea.”

Annie looked at them, interested.“What?”

“Well, nothing’s decided yet,”Jai explained,“But we were thinking of talking to Mrs.Hayashi at the school…”

Thank you so much for your comments, I hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 8

“I can’t believe Mrs.Hayashi agreed to this,”Annie remarked as she and Jai stood beside the coach.

“I guess Nina and I put up a pretty convincing case,”Jai replied,“I mean, a school rock climbing trip does inspire teamwork and teach students useful skills.”He floundered for a moment.“Or whatever the argument we used was.”

“So it wasn’t just about showing me what I missed out on?”

“Who says it’s about you?”Jai asked innocently.He shrugged.“I dunno, the trip wasn’t the same without you.”

“You had Nina.”

“Yeah, I know and…I’m glad we had the opportunity to…get to know each other better.But it felt odd not having you around.Guess I’ve kind of got used to it.”

Annie felt suddenly uncomfortable.“Jai…”

“I mean as a friend,”he added hastily,“I’m with Nina, you’re with…well, you were with Romeo, I just like hanging out with you as a friend.Come on, wasn’t there just one tiny moment while you were back home that you thought ‘Hey, I wish Jai was here’?”

Annie smiled.“I guess there was one tiny moment.”She suddenly became serious.“You’re my oldest friend, Jai, I don’t want to lose that.”

Before Jai could answer, Mrs.Hayashi appeared on the steps of the coach.“Jai!Annie!Sassato!”

Jai gestured towards the coach.“We’d better go.”

The party’s guide had assured them that it would be an easy route, since they were only there for a day. Although they would be going high up, the walk would be almost flat for a lot of the time.Nevertheless, because of the dangers, they were all fitted with safety ropes, connecting them to the rest of the party.

As one of the more experienced members of the party, Nina was near the front of the group of two dozen or so students.Jai was right at the back, with Annie just in front of him, the pair giving each other the occasional word of encouragement or helping hand.

“Mizu!”called the guide, gesturing for them to stop.

Understanding the instruction, Jai and Annie unhooked their water bottles and took long, grateful drinks, as did the rest of their party.“You didn’t tell me it was this much hard work,”Annie gasped.

“I guess I forgot,”Jai admitted,“Maybe we shouldn’t have talked Mrs.Hayashi into arranging this after all.”

“Are you kidding?”Annie asked incredulously,“This is great!”

“What, being hot and sore and sweating and thirsty?”

“No, I mean…I didn’t think I’d ever try anything like this but I have and…turns out it’s not all that difficult.”

“Tell that to my aching calf muscles.”

“Okay, maybe it is difficult but…doesn’t that give you a sense of achievement?”

Jai gave a reluctant smile.“Yeah, okay, achievement.There’s something in that.Talking of which…”He nodded over to where Boshirou and Deiji were laughing and joking about something, sharing their water bottle.

“Aww, it’s so romantic,”Annie sighed.

“Guess you never forget your first girlfriend,”Jai commented.Then he realised what he’d said.“I mean…”

“You mean especially when she follows you to another country, right?”Annie asked with a smile.

“Yeah, something like that.”Jai took another gulp from his bottle then poured the contents over his head.

“Risuta-to!”the guide called.The line started moving again.

Jai fell into step but forgot about the puddle of water he’d just created.He slipped on the wet rock and fell heavily.

Annie came back to him.“Are you all right?”

Embarrassed, Jai scrambled to his feet.“Yeah, I’m okay, go on.”He felt a slight stab of pain in his ankle as he put his weight on it but ignored it, carrying on after the rest of the party, hobbling slightly.

The route reached one of the more difficult parts, a steep slope up to the next stage of the walk, with the rock face to the left of the slope and a steep drop to the right.Many of the party had to go down on their hands and knees to get up it.

Jai watched the others cross the slope and put his foot on it tentatively.It felt as though he could stay upright if he tried hard enough.He started across and was about halfway up when his ankle gave way.His leg flew out from under him, causing him to land on his stomach and slide back down the slope.He hit the end heavily…and bounced over the side of the drop.

Annie turned at his shout, horrified as she saw what had happened.So much so that she didn’t even think about the rope connecting them.Until it jerked her off her feet and dragged her towards the edge as well…

Ever seen the film 'Touching the Void' ?

I hope for Jai's sake that Annie hasn't.

No.But I have seen the first season finale of 'Hamish MacBeth', which features an even more similar scenario and an even less happy outcome.I really do have no original ideas...

Hope you enjoy this.

CHAPTER 9

Annie’s yelp of fright, coming so soon after Jai’s own panicked bellow, managed to attract the attention of some of the other members of the group.Piko, a few places in front of her, ran back and grabbed Annie’s arm, managing to halt her slide after Jai over the edge.

Some others grabbed hold of Annie as well, helping to take both her and Jai’s weight.For Annie, the situation seemed little improved.While she was no longer being pulled towards her death, she still had Jai’s weight hanging off the lower part of her body.The strain was enormous and it almost felt like she was being pulled in two, the rope threatening to drag her downwards whilst the helpful arms of her classmates pulled her in the other direction.

The party’s guide had coming hurrying back and was shouting hurried instructions in Japanese which Annie had a hard time comprehending.She was horrified when she saw the next girl in the line unclipping the rope that connected her to Annie, leaving her as the only one feeling the pull from Jai’s fall.“No, no,” she murmured helplessly, her words seemingly unheard by anyone.

Down below her, Jai was in an even worse state.He had no idea of anything that was happening above him and could only seek comfort in the fact that he was dangling precariously over a sheer drop rather than falling down it and that Annie hadn’t appeared toppling after him.The rope was digging into his waist in an excruciatingly painful manner but since it was all that was saving him from death he wasn’t about to complain about its presence.

The guide had unclipped himself from the rest of the group as well and was rummaging in the rucksack he had brought with him.He called instructions down to Jai in Japanese, instructions Jai had no home of comprehending.“I don’t understand you!”he called up desperately.

“Get a hold on the rocks!”Nina called back,“Take the weight off the rope!”

Neither Jai nor Annie had realised that Nina had come back from her position near the head of the line.But Jai was grateful for her presence and for the translation.He searched the rock face in front of him, finding the deepest crevices he could and grasping them with his hands so firmly that they almost bled.He searched around with his feet, finding gaps to wedge them into, stopping himself from hanging so dangerously.He wasn’t entirely sure he’d be able to keep his grip without the rope and he had no hope of climbing up without it but at least it wasn’t the only thing keeping him safe now.

The pressure on Annie relaxed slightly as Jai’s position became more secure.She gave a gasp of relief but was grateful that the strong hands holding her in position didn’t relax their grip.She wasn’t entirely confident that the gravity wouldn’t drag her over the edge anyway and then Jai’s fragile balance would definitely be too little to save them.Mrs.Hayashi had crouched by her and was making soothing noises. “Good girl,”she said quietly,“You are very brave.It will not be long now.”

The guide had attached another rope to his belt and hammered it into the upper rock wall.Then he began abseiling down the cliff face towards Jai.He came level with him and took a second rope, using it to attach his own belt to Jai’s.He said something that Jai didn’t understand.Noticing the boy’s puzzled expression, he gave him an annoyed look then removed Jai’s hand from the rock face and put it around his own waist. Then he took out a knife.

Jai gasped as the guide slowly cut through the rope connecting him to Annie.Up above, Annie began coughing as the pressure on her stomach ceased and her breathing became easier.The others let go of her but the pain was too great for her to move from the lying position.

At the loss of the link, Jai lost all his grip on the rock face and for a second he began to fall.The guide quickly wrapped an arm around his waist, steadying him and directing him to regain his hand holds.Then they began climbing, the guide helping Jai every step of the way, showing him where to put his hands and feet, helping him reach the difficult crevices, the rope helping keep them together.

Finally, they reached the top of the cliff face.The guide gave Jai a last push to send him up over the edge. He collapsed next to Annie.All around them people continued giving instructions but neither of them was listening.They just lay on the ground, Jai rolling over onto his back, Annie not even able to move that much, breathing heavily.

A helicopter had been summoned to take them back to the city and to hospital.Jai had been ushered away by a nurse while a doctor had taken Annie into an examination room.Mrs.Hayashi had stayed with her to act as an interpreter.

In the end, the doctor had finished and Annie had been left alone.She was just beginning to breathe easily when Jai appeared in the doorway.“Hi,”he said nervously.

“Hi, yourself,”she replied, giving him a reassuring smile.

Jai held up his arm.There was a small plaster cast around the lower part.“Fractured wrist.They think I must have hit it during the fall.Plus my ankle, which turns out was only sprained.And a bit of bruising. You?”

Annie raised her top slightly, revealing the bandage around her abdomen.“Cracked ribs.”

Jai winced.“Ouch.Does it hurt?”

“Not if I stop breathing.”

He came over to the bed, still hobbling slightly.“Sorry.”

She shrugged.“It was an accident.”

“No, it was me being stupid and macho and trying to carry on when I should have told someone I was hurt.If it wasn’t for you…”

“Well, I didn’t really do anything except lie there and moan in pain but…I’d rather be in pain for a bit than see you get splattered.”

Jai nodded gratefully.“I don’t think I’ve ever been so scared.”

Annie looked at him curiously.“Not even when we were trapped in that burning hall?”

“Well…I was unconscious for most of that.”

“Or when you got shot and picked up that infection and collapsed on the trek?”

“Well…”

“Or when Matthew Lyons pushed you off the wharf and you nearly drowned?”

Jai paused.“We’ve been through the wars together, really, haven’t we?”

“Guess we must be each other’s bad luck charm,”Annie commented.

Jai considered for a moment.“Or lucky mascot.”

Anyway, here's another update for you.

CHAPTER 10

Annie tried to sit up and winced with pain.It was a few days since she’d been allowed to come home but she was still mostly confined to bed.Nina came over to her at the noise.“Are you all right, Ann-chan?”

Annie sighed and then wished she hadn’t as another surge of pain went through her ribs.“Ooh.I think I’m getting there.”

Jai suddenly stuck his head round the doorway.“Hi.Your mum said it was okay to come up.”

Annie smiled at the sight of him.“Hey, Jai.”

He came over and gave her a hug.“You’re looking better.”

“Really?I don’t feel it.”She suddenly noticed his arm and lifted up the wrist.“Hey, no plaster cast!”

“Yeah, I had it taken off yesterday.They said the fracture had healed.”

Annie tapped her own bandages carefully.“Lucky you.”

Nina had watched the exchange from a few yards away.“Um, sorry to leave you alone, Annie, but Jai and I were going somewhere.”

Jai looked at her in confusion for a moment but caught the frantic gestures she was making.“Um, yeah,”he agreed.He patted Annie on the arm.“See you later.”

He followed Nina downstairs and then caught her arm.“Were we planning on going anywhere?”

“Is there anyone at your place now?”

“Um…no.”

She kissed him lightly on the lips.“Well…perfect for some alone time then.”

He smiled slightly and let her lead him out the door.

“Miso soup!”Mrs.Komano announced as she came up to Annie’s room, carrying a tray with a bowl and an oddly shaped spoon on it.She laid it down in front of her.

Annie smiled.“Gurache, Komano-san.”She took the spoon and began sipping at the soup.

Mrs.Komano sat down on the bed, watching her while she ate.“You are…good?”she asked at last.

“Very good, Komano-san,”Annie assured her.

“I am sorry that…you hurt.”

Annie looked at her in shock.“Komano-san, it wasn’t your fault I was hurt.”

Mrs.Komano shook her head.“We…look after you.”

Annie took the woman’s hand.“You do look after me, Komano-san.Thank you.Gurache.”

Mrs.Komano smiled at the comment.She got to her feet and kissed Annie on the top of the head.“You good girl.”

Annie watched her in surprise as she left the room.She’d always got on well with Mrs.Komano, always liked her, but she hadn’t realised the Japanese woman was so fond of her.She still thought of Summer Bay, of Irene’s house, as home but now…now she was beginning to suspect she had two homes.

Nina called out in Japanese as they arrived at the house but there was no answer.“Just checking if anyone was home,”she told a confused-looking Jai.

He nodded and went to lead her to the front room.Instead she pulled him back and kissed him, leading him upstairs, kissing as they went.She led the way into his bedroom and fell back onto his bed, pulling him on top of her.

Jai suddenly realised where she was going and broke off the kiss, but didn’t shift his position.“Hang on, what..?”

She was lying underneath him, her face scant centimetres from his.“Don’t you want to?”

“I thought we were waiting.”

“Well, if I want to and you want to, why wait?”

He smiled nervously and started kissing her again.He felt her tugging at the lower rim of his t-shirt and raised his arms, letting her pull it off over his head.He began fumbling clumsily at the buttons of her blouse, his hands shaking nervously.Eventually he undid it and slid it from her back.He relaxed slightly, continuing to kiss her, feeling the sensation of their semi-naked bodies touching.

They’d been kissing like that for about a minute when Nina broke it off.“Aren’t you going to do anything else?”

Jai started at her words, wondering why he was making such a mess of this.She was gorgeous, he liked her, she wanted to sleep with him.What was his problem?“Um, yeah, sure.”He kissed her again and fumbled with the button holding her skirt in place.

She pushed him off her and got to her feet, refastening the skirt button.“Just forget it.”

He half lay on his back, still not sure about the turn of events.“Look, Nina, I’m sorry, I do want it…”

“Why?So you can call out Annie’s name halfway through?”

He looked at her, bewildered.“I wasn’t thinking about Annie.I mean…I really wasn’t…”

Nina gave him a long look, evaluating his truthfulness.“Maybe not,”she conceeded at last,“But if I was her, you wouldn’t have a problem, would you?”

“Annie and I are over,”he assured her,“I’m not what she wants.”

Nina picked her blouse up off the floor and headed for the door.“Just talk to her, Jai.You both need to just talk to each other.”

Archived