A Second Chance

Guest Danni02

Thanks for the comments! :D Hope you like this next part...

Chapter 11

Scott walked up the stairs and knocked on the door to Ruby’s bedroom.

“Come in” Ruby shouted and Scott took a deep breath before opening the door. Ruby looked up and saw that it was Scott. “Oh it’s you” Ruby said as Scott walked along the room and took a seat at her desk. “What do you want?” Ruby asked.

“We need to talk” Scott said

“About?” Ruby asked

“The weather” Scott said and Ruby scowled at him. “Well what do you think Ruby?” Scott said.

“How we get along oh so well” Ruby said and Scott nodded his head.

“Yep that’s the thing” Scott said before they both sat in silence for a few minutes.

“Well.....say what you wanted to say then” Ruby said.

“Look I don’t like you and you don’t like me, agreed?” Scott said

“Agreed” Ruby said

“But we both love Charlie, right?” Scott asked

“Yeah” Ruby replied as she nodded her head

“So we have to get on for her sake. So I would really appreciate it if you stopped acting like a little brat and was actually nice to me” Scott spat and Ruby sighed as she shook her head.

“Don’t just put all the blame on me” Ruby shouted “You don’t make it very easy” Ruby said.

“Yeah well I’m not good at the parent thing” Scott said

“Well I don’t need you to be my parent” Ruby snarled “Mum and me were doing just fine before you came along and beside I’ve found my dad now”

“You what?” Scott said sounding rather shocked

“Hasn’t mum told you? She’s known he’s been here since the day she started work” Ruby said rather proudly.

“You’re such a liar. Charlie wouldn’t keep that from me” Scott said and Ruby shrugged her shoulders.

“Oh well believe what you want” Ruby said “Got anything else to say or?” Ruby asked as she looked up at Scott.

“Yeah, look we either need to pretend we are getting along for Charlie’s sake or just avoid each other from now on”

“Better yet, you could just leave” Ruby said

“Ruby” Scott said

“Yeah okay we can make more of an effort to get along. Mum would know if we were only pretending and no offence but I think it’s a bit stupid to avoid each other as that’s not going to fix the situation or let mum see we can get along” Ruby said and Scott nodded his head before he got up to leave the room.

“Oh and just so you know I’m only doing this for Charlie’s sake. I would much rather you where out of my life” Scott said before opening the door.

“Right back at you” Ruby retorted before Scott opened the door and left the room.

Scott walked along the hall and into his bedroom. Charlie looked up at him and he smiled at her and he walked across to where she was.

“Well how did that go then?” Charlie asked

“Fine, we are going to make an effort” Scott said and Charlie smiled apprehensively.

“Wonder how long it’ll last for this time then” Charlie said but Scott ignored this remark and asked Charlie a different question.

“Nothing you need to tell me Charlie?” Scott asked and Charlie looked at him with a confused expression on her face.

“No, I don’t think so” Charlie said

“Oh so she was lying then the little brat” Scott said

“Will you please stop referring to my daughter as a brat” Charlie shouted and Scott sighed.

“Well she has just told me she that her dad lives here, I knew it was a lie” Scott said.

“Oh well actually that is true” Charlie said as she looked up at Scott.

“What?” Scott shouted “Why the hell haven’t you told me?”

“Because we had that huge fight then you left for a week and you only got back today and we had yet again another argument” Charlie said and Scott nodded understandingly.

“Okay fair enough. Guess there was never an appropriate time to tell me” Scott said. “So Ruby said you met him at work, I guess he is a cop too?” Scott asked.

“Eh yeah he is” Charlie said

“Is he your partner?” Scott asked as he took a seat at the edge of the bed.

“Yeah he is” Charlie said

“Do you get along with him okay?” Scott asked

“Eh, yeah we get along fine” Charlie told him

So it’s not weird working with your ex?” Scott asked and Charlie pulled a face.

“It’s not as if we broke up a month ago Scott. It was 16 years ago” Charlie said.

“Yeah okay, does he know about me?” Scott asked and once again Charlie pulled a face.

“What’s with all the questions Scott? All you need to know is that he is Ruby’s dad and she is getting to know him” Charlie said before walking out of the bedroom.

Charlie knocked on the door before walking in. She found Ruby lying down on her bed listening to her iPod. She took a seat next to her and Ruby looked up at her before taking the headphones out of her ears and sitting up.

“Have you come in here to lecture me?” Ruby asked

“What makes you think that?” Charlie said

“Well I should be at school right now and I was at home with a boy” Ruby said

“Honestly, I’m beyond trying Ruby. Whatever I say you don’t listen so is there really much point?” Charlie and Ruby looked away in shame.

“I’m sorry” Ruby said before looking back round at Charlie. “I’ve realised something now and I promise that I am going to be me again” Ruby said and Charlie smiled.

“What’s that you’ve realised?” Charlie questioned

“It’s not just about what I want” Ruby said as Charlie pulled a face looking confused.

“I’m not sure what you mean Rubes” Charlie said and Ruby took a deep breath before talking.

“All this behaviour, I’ve been doing it to try to get Scott to leave” Ruby said

“Why?” Charlie asked

“Because” Ruby said before she paused. “I’m not saying, you’ll laugh at me. It’s stupid”

“Rubes, I won’t laugh at you” Charlie said and Ruby took another deep breath.

“Ever since I was little I had this dream that you and my dad would meet up again and get back together and we would be a proper family” Ruby said before looking away from Charlie.

“Aww Rubes that’s not stupid” Charlie said as she rubbed her daughter gently on the back.

“It is though, I’m 15 I should know stuff like that doesn’t happen by now” Ruby said as she looked back up at Charlie.

“It’s not stupid to want your parents to be together Ruby, but....” Charlie stared to speak but Ruby spoke over her.

“It’s not going to happen, I know” Ruby said

“Well actually I was going to say that you behaving like that to try and split me and Scott up is pretty stupid” Charlie said and Ruby laughed.

“I know. I’m really sorry. And seeing you leaving like that this morning and crying over it, it made me realise I was being selfish and not thinking about what you want. You really love him mum and because of me all you have done is argue lately. I really am sorry” Ruby said

“We still argued before you rebelled Ruby” Charlie said and Ruby nodded her head.

“I know but not like really badly” Ruby said and Charlie sighed.

“Rubes, if anything you have just made me realise that me and Scott aren’t right together. He’s never been that interested in getting to know you” Charlie said

“Well we are going to make an effort now I promise. We both love you so much” Ruby said and Charlie smiled as she felt a tear roll down her cheek.

“Maybe it’s too late now” Charlie said and Ruby leaned over and hugged her. Charlie smiled as she welcomed the hug from her daughter – something that hadn’t happened a lot of late. Neither of them spoke as they just sat there embraced in the hug. Charlie thought about all the arguments she had had with Scott lately and the relationship he had with Ruby and wondered if they really did have a future together or if it really was too late and time move on.

Thank you so much for the comments! :) Here's the next part, hope you like, its a bit short....:unsure:

Chapter 12

Ruby answered the door and invited the man into the house.

“Hey how are you today?” She asked as she gave him a hug.

“I’m good thanks, how are you?” Angelo asked.

“Yeah I’m good” Ruby smiled before putting her hand on Lucy’s head and ruffling her hair.

“And how are you?” Ruby asked

“Good. We are going swimming today” Lucy beamed as she looked up at Ruby. “And we have the picnic basket all made up”

“Cool. Sounds fun” Ruby smiled just as Charlie walked down the stairs.

“Hey Charlie!” Lucy shouted “Are you coming to the picnic on the beach today?” Lucy asked as she ran forward and took Charlie’s hand.

“Eh no I’m not” Charlie said and Lucy pulled a sad face.

“Oh you should come. Daddy why is Charlie not invited?” Lucy asked and Angelo laughed before answering his daughter.

“Charlie is more than welcome to come. In fact I’d really like that” Angelo said as he looked up at Charlie and smiled.

“Yeah mum you should come” Ruby said and Charlie slowly nodded her head.

“Yeah okay” Charlie smiled. They then walked down to the beach and straight away Lucy dragged Ruby off into the sea leaving Charlie and Angelo sitting together. They were silent for a few minutes Angelo spoke.

“So are things getting any better with you and Scott?” Angelo asked and Charlie shook her head as she looked down at the sand.

“No. Ruby has made the effort like she said she would, but Scott” Charlie said before she stopped talking and looked up at Angelo.

“Still being a jerk” Angelo said

“He’s not a jerk Angelo, he’s...” Charlie paused and looked away from Angelo again.

“A jerk” Angelo said “I can’t believe you are still with him” Angelo said and Charlie looked up at him and pulled a face.

“And what’s it to do with you who I’m with anyways?”

“I just know he isn’t a good guy and he’s not right for you” Angelo said

“No you don’t, you don’t know him Angelo” Charlie shouted

“I know him well enough from what you and Ruby have told me about him” Angelo spat and Charlie looked up at him before she felt a tear rolling down her cheek.

“Sorry, Charlie I didn’t mean to upset you” Angelo said and Charlie shook her head.

“You haven’t Angelo” Charlie said as she wiped the tear from her cheek.

“Your right. He isn’t right for me and I know I need to end things but it’s hard because....” Charlie trailed off and looked away from Angelo.

“I know. You love him” Angelo said as he put his arm around Charlie and rubbed her arm gently.

“I can’t stop thinking what would have become of me and Scott if Ruby hadn’t acted the way she did” Charlie said as she looked back up at Angelo.

“He’d still be a jerk Charlie” Angelo said and Charlie looked up at him before nodding her head.

“Yeah you’re probably right” Charlie said before leaning her head against Angelo chest. Angelo softly placed a kiss on Charlie head. “Those two get on really well” Charlie said as she sat back up and pointed down to Ruby and Lucy.

“Yeah they really do, it’s like they have known each other all their lives” Angelo smiled.

“Yeah” Charlie agreed

“She really likes you too” Angelo said and Charlie smiled. They sat in silence for a few minutes until Ruby and Lucy ran back up where they were sitting.

“All that playing has made me hungry” Lucy said as she reached into the basket for a sandwich. Angelo and Charlie both reached into the basket at the same time and their eyes met as their hands brushed against each others. Ruby noticed the look they gave each other and smiled. She had a feeling that her wish might just come true after all, even if she did have to help them along a little bit. All that she needed now was a plan.....

Thanks for the lovely comments! :) Hope you like this next part.

Chapter 13

Scott was sitting at the kitchen table in darkness when Charlie returned home from work. She pulled a confused expression on her face before walking across the room and switching the light on.

“Why are you sitting in the dark?” Charlie asked as she walked over and stood next to where he was sitting. Scott looked up at her and stared blankly before looking away again.

“Anything you want to tell me?” Scott asked as he stood up from where he was sitting. Charlie stood in silence and wondered if he had found out about her kiss with Angelo, but then quickly changed her mind as they were the only 2 people to know about it and had agreed never to mention it again.

“No, what’s up Scott?” Charlie asked as she noticed he had something in his hand but she couldn’t quite make out was it was.

“This” Scott shouted as he threw an empty pregnancy test box at Charlie. “Are you trying to trap me? Are you trying to trick me into being a father?” Scott said and Charlie shook her head.

“No Scott I swear it’s not mines” Charlie said

“Don’t lie Charlie” Scott shouted

“Scott I swear it’s not mines” Charlie shouted.

“Well who’s else can it be” Scott yelled.

“Aww Ruby” Charlie said and she rubbed her forehead as she let out a sigh.

“I knew it would come to this. Like mother like daughter and all that” Scott spat.

“Oh shut up Scott” Charlie said as she left the kitchen and made her way to the stairs.

“Where are you going?” Scott shouted as he walked after Charlie.

“To speak to my daughter” Charlie shouted as she continued to walk up the stairs. She knocked on Ruby’s bedroom door before walking in.

“Hey, we need to talk” Charlie said and Ruby sighed before looking up at Charlie. Charlie took a seat next to Ruby and took a deep breath before going to talk but Ruby spoke before her.

“I’m not pregnant” Ruby said and Charlie breathed a sigh of relief.

“But you thought you were?” Charlie asked and Ruby looked away as she shook her head.

“No I didn’t. I can’t be. I haven’t....” Ruby said before she stopped talking. Charlie smiled as she put her arm around her daughter.

“So you want to explain how the box got here?” Charlie asked and Ruby looked up at Charlie bit her lip before looking away again.

“I’m sorry. I put it in the bathroom to cause an argument with you and Scott. I knew he would take it badly thinking you were pregnant” Ruby said and Charlie sighed just as Scott came barging into the room.

“You did what?” Scott shouted as he grabbed Ruby’s wrist and pulled her up from where she was sitting.

“Scott get off her now” Charlie shouted as she stood up and tried to push him back. “Explain yourself you stupid brat” Scott said as he freed Ruby from his grasp. Ruby sat back down on the bed as she rubbed her wrist which Scott had grabbed.

“I...I...” Ruby said quietly as she looked down at the floor.

“Well c’mon” Scott yelled.

“Scott will you calm down and get out” Charlie shouted.

“No I want her to explain her reasons to me” Scott replied.

“Rubes sweetie, why did you do it?” Charlie asked as she rubbed Ruby gently on the back.

“Don’t sweetie her” Scott spat “Stupid brat needs a good telling off”

“Scott will you just shut the hell up” Charlie yelled before looking down at Ruby again.

“Well Rubes?” Charlie said and Ruby looked up at her.

“I’m sorry. I tried mum, I really tried to get on with him for your sake but he just didn’t so I was sick of making the effort if he wasn’t. Then when Angelo, Lucy, you and me were at the beach the other day I saw something I hadn’t see with you in a while” Ruby said

“What was that?” Charlie asked and Ruby looked up at Scott then back to Charlie.

“The way you looked at Angelo. It was the way you used to look at Scott” Ruby said quietly.

“That’s just ridiculous” Scott bellowed

“It’s true, I saw something between them” Ruby shouted and Charlie sighed

“Ruby, regardless of whether you thought you saw something between us or not, its gives you no reason or right to try to split us up again” Charlie said and Ruby sighed.

“Wait a minute. Did you just say she’s been trying to split us up?” Scott said as he looked down at Charlie.

“Well yeah, that’s what all this behaviour’s been for” Charlie said and Scott looked down at Ruby shook his head.

“You little bitch. Can’t you stand to see your mother happy” Scott shouted as he once again grabbed Ruby by the wrist.

“Scott that’s enough. Just get out” Charlie shouted

“No, we need to talk about this Charlie” Scott yelled

“No Scott we don’t. I’m done with talking, I done with arguing, I’m done with pretending everything is fine with us when it’s clearly not”

“So what are you saying Charlie?” Scott asked

“We’re done. Us, this it’s over Scott” Charlie shouted

“Charlie no, we can get through this, all we have to do is take her out of the equation and we will be fine” Scott said as he looked at Ruby.

“What?” Charlie yelled “Do you seriously think I would choose you over my own daughter?”

“Well...” Scott said before he stopped talking

“Just get out Scott, we are finished” Charlie shouted as the tears fell down her face and Scott took Charlie’s hand and shook his head.

“Please Charlie don’t do this” Scott said as he tried to hold back his tears.

“Just leave” Charlie shouted as she pulled her hands away and looked away from Scott. Scott stood and looked at Charlie for a few minutes before walking across the room and looking back once more before he walked down the stairs and out of the house. Charlie sat back down on Ruby’s bed and put her head in her hands as she cried. Ruby moved closer to her and put her arm around her but Charlie quickly shrugged her off.

“Mum, I am so sorry” Ruby said

“Why? You got your wish didn’t you?” Charlie said before standing up and walking out of Ruby’s bedroom and walked along the hall and into her own slamming the door shut. Ruby walked along the hall and knocked on the door and waited for a response.

“Just go away Ruby” Charlie shouted but Ruby decided to ignore this comment and walked into the room anyways. She found Charlie sitting on the bed with tears streaming down her face. She took a seat next to her and put her arm around her.

“I’m so sorry” Ruby said and Charlie shook her head as she looked up at Ruby.

“No, you’re not. You hated him Ruby and you’ve been trying for months to split us up so don’t sit there now and tell me you are sorry for what you’ve done” Charlie said before she wiped the tears away from her face. Ruby sat in silence as she stared blankly at Charlie.

“I tried mum, I really did try these past few weeks” Ruby said and Charlie nodded her head.

“I know Rubes, but a few weeks of playing the good girl doesn’t change the months of your awful behaviour” Charlie said and Ruby nodded her head slowly before looking away from Charlie.

“But I guess you’re not the only one to blame. A lot of the time Scott just made the situation worse and me, well I should never have stayed with the guy as long if he clearly wasn’t going to accept you” Charlie said

“No mum, none of this is your fault” Ruby said

“Thanks Ruby, but I know I’m as much to blame for this mess of a relationship as you or Scott were” Charlie said and Ruby shook her head and was about to respond when Charlie spoke again.

“But listen how Scott and I ended and who was to blame can be debated about for ages and it won’t make the slightest bit of a difference to the fact that we are finished. All I care about just now is trying to fix us Rubes, that’s what’s important to me” Charlie said as she moved Ruby’s hair from in front of her face. Ruby smiled before she gave Charlie a hug.

Thank you for commenting. :) Hope you like this next part.

Chapter 14

It was a few days after Scott and Charlie had broken up and Scott had come back to the house to collect the rest of his belongings. While he was there he started asking Charlie to reconsider.

“Charlie please gives us another chance. I will change, I promise” Scott said as he took hold of Charlie’s hands. Charlie pulled her hands away and took a few steps back as she shook her head.

“No, Scott. We’re finished” Charlie said.

“Please Charlie, I love you so much” Scott said as he once again tried to take hold of Charlie’s hand. Charlie pulled away from him once more.

“It’s not enough Scott. Maybe if I didn’t have Ruby things would have been different for us but I do and you can’t deal with that” Charlie said

“So that is, you are going to throw away two years just like that” Scott asked

“It wasn’t my doing Scott” Charlie said

“No it was your stupid brats” Scott spat

“Just get the rest of your stuff and go” Charlie said “Oh and I guess you can have this back” Charlie said as she handed him back the engagement ring he had giving her months before. Scott looked up at Charlie and he took a deep breath as he held back the tears.

“I’m sorry, Charlie” Scott said before he picked up the last of his things and walked out the front door. Charlie walked over the couch and sat down. She put her head in her hands and felt the tears falling down her face. A few minutes later and Ruby came home from school to find Charlie sitting crying on the couch.

“Aww mum” Ruby said as she sat down next to her and put her arm around her. Charlie looked up at Ruby as she wiped away the tears from her face.

“Its fine, I’m fine” Charlie said as she let out a forced smiled.

“You sure?” Ruby asked Charlie nodded her head.

“Yea I am” Charlie said

“I saw him driving away, I guess that he’s got all his stuff now” Ruby said

“Uhm yeah, he has” Charlie said quietly. “So anyways what do you want to do for your birthday next week?” Charlie asked as she was keen to change the subject.

“Uhm I was just thinking you, me, Angelo and Lucy could go out for dinner” Ruby said and Charlie nodded her head as she smiled.

“Okay, that sounds fine but do you not want to do anything with your friends?” Charlie asked

“I have no friends” Ruby said sadly

“What happened to that Gonk boy?” Charlie asked

“He just wasn’t the best person to be hanging about with” Ruby said

“Well I’m glad you realised that” Charlie smiled. “But surely there is somebody in your class you could be friends with” Charlie said.

“Well considering I was pretty nasty to most of them I doubt they will want to know me now”

“Well have you tried apologising?” Charlie asked

“No” Ruby said as she shook her head.

“Well maybe that would be a good place to start” Charlie said

“Yeah I guess. I’ll try speaking to some of them tomorrow” Ruby said and Charlie smiled.

“Hey, I was thinking of going to see dad at the weekend. There’s a lot we need to tell him” Charlie said as she played with her now bare wedding ring finger.

“Yeah that’ll be good. I can tell all about dad” Ruby smiled

“Yeah. And with you being in the city you could catch up with your old friends” Charlie said and Ruby pulled a face.

“They don’t speak to me anymore either. They did for the first few weeks but then they seemed not to care when I phoned. Some friends they were” Ruby sulked and Charlie put her arm around her.

“Well you’ll make friends here soon enough, you just have to show people you have change” Charlie said.

“Yeah I know. And thanks for being so nice to me” Ruby smiled.

“What?” Charlie questioned confused at her daughters comment.

“Well I mean, the way I’ve acted lately and I ruined your relationship with Scott and you haven’t seemed to hold anything against me. I mean you really loved him and I ruined that” Ruby said.

“Yeah, but I love you more Rubes” Charlie said as she moved Ruby’s hair away from being in front of her face. “Maybe it would have been better if you had spoken to me about how you felt instead of acting out, but thinking about it, I think you probably have done me a favour. Scott wasn’t suited to me and I’m sorry it took me so long realise that” Charlie said

“Well at least he is out of our lives now. And my dad is in my life and my sister. Maybe we could be a proper family now” Ruby smiled before she got a look on her face that suggested she was thinking about something.

“Ruby, I hope you aren’t getting any ideas about me and Angelo getting together now” Charlie said and Ruby smiled slyly.

“Eh, I’m going to go do my homework” Ruby said as she jumped up from the couch.

“Rubes” Charlie said and Ruby looked back round at her.

“What? I’m not thinking of anything” Ruby said before she ran up the stairs.

Thanks for commenting. :) Here's the next part.

Chapter 15

Charlie and Ruby got out of the car and walked up the path to Ross and Morag’s house. Ruby was excited to tell Ross about how she had met her dad and even wanted him to be there when she told him but Charlie had decided that was a bad idea as Angelo had never been Ross’ favourite person and thought it would be better for Ross to find out without Angelo being present. Ruby rang the door bell and jumped with excitement as she thought about the news she had to tell her granddad.

“Charlie, Ruby what a surprise” Ross said as he answered the door.

“Hey dad” Charlie said as she gave her dad a hug.

“Hey granddad” Ruby shouted as she jumped up and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“What’s wrong with her?” Ross asked as he watched Ruby skip excitedly down the hall and into the living room.

“She’s just in a good mood” Charlie smiled as they walked down the hall and joined Ruby in the living room.

“Makes a change from her moods lately then” Ross said and Charlie nodded.

“Yeah, I think those moods are behind us now” Charlie smiled.

“Good to hear” Ross said as he took a seat next to his granddaughter.

“Yeah, you’ll never guess what granddad” Ruby beamed as she took his hand in hers.

“I’ve found my dad” Ruby said excitedly and Ross opened his mouth in shock as he looked round at Charlie.

“When was this?” Ross asked

“A month ago. Right when we moved to Summer Bay. He’s a cop, just like you and mum” Ruby said

“Didn’t you think that was something you should have told me?” Ross asked as he looked round at Charlie.

“Well obviously yes, I would have got round to it but with seeing him again and Ruby behaving how she was and Scott and I arguing all the time things were just a bit hectic at home” Charlie said.

“Very well” Ross said as he nodded his head. “So where’s is this fiancé of yours anyways?” Ross asked and Charlie sat in silence for a few minutes before speaking.

“We broke up” Charlie said quietly as she looked down at the floor.

“What? When?” Ross asked

“Beginning of the week” Charlie replied

“Well I’m not going to lie to you Charlie, I’m not sorry to hear that” Ross said and Charlie looked up at him and felt her eyes stinging.

“I still loved him. Can’t you at least say something comforting?” Charlie asked as a lone tear fell down her cheek and Ross just sat there and shrugged his shoulders. Charlie sighed as she got up from the couch and walked over to the window and looked outside. She wiped the tear from her eye and turned round again looking at Ross and Ruby.

“Well I’m sorry Charlie but you know how I felt about him. He wasn’t good enough for you” Ross said and Charlie sighed.

“Is anyone ever going to be? You’ve always found a fault in my boyfriends” Charlie said

“Yes well you are my daughter Charlie, no one is ever going to be good enough for you in my eyes” Ross said and he got up from where he was sitting and walked across to where Charlie was standing. He put his arms around her and gave her a hug. “Scott was a scumbag, you are better off without him” Ross said as he parted from the hug and Charlie nodded her head. They then went to sit back down on the couch.

“Well I suppose he wasn’t as bad as Angelo” Ross said and Ruby gasped with shock.

“Hey, that’s my dad you are talking about” Ruby said.

“Well what can I say Ruby. He was a bad influence on Charlie” Ross said.

“No he wasn’t. He didn’t make me do anything I didn’t want to do” Charlie said

“But he was 16 when you got pregnant and you were only 15. He broke the law” Ross said

“Yeah and so did I” Charlie said raising her voice slightly.

“Hey let’s not talk about this now. It was like over 16 years ago and if it didn’t happen I wouldn’t be here and you wouldn’t have an awesome granddaughter” Ruby said as she gently hit Ross on the arm. Ross looked down at Ruby and smiled

“Yeah you’re right” he said

“And he is a really good dad. And I have a little sister” Ruby grinned

“Oh so he’s married?” Ross asked and Ruby shook her head

“No, his wife died shortly after Lucy was born” Ruby said

“Oh” Ross said

“Yeah but I’ve got a feeling he won’t be single for much longer” Ruby beamed as she looked up at Charlie and Charlie shook her head.

“C’mon mum you like each other it’s so totally obvious” Ruby said “And Lucy really likes you too. We would be such a great family” Ruby smiled

“Ruby, what have I told you about this?” Charlie said and Ruby sighed choosing not say anymore on the subject for now. They stayed at Ross’ for a few more hours before Charlie drove them back to Summer Bay.

Charlie and Ruby went into the Diner to get something to eat and they saw Angelo and Lucy were there eating their dinner.

“Ruby, Charlie” Lucy shouted as she ran across the diner and gave them both a hug.

“You can sit with us” Lucy said as she took their hands and dragged them across the Diner.

“Yeah cool” Ruby said as she was about to take a seat.

“No Rubes, they are eating let’s just leave them” Charlie said as she looked down at Angelo.

“It’s fine by me, you’re more than welcome to join us” Angelo smiled. Charlie and Ruby sat down at the table and Leah came across to take their order.

“So how was your day?” Angelo asked as he looked up at Charlie

“Yeah it was good, yours?” Charlie replied

“Yeah was good, took this one swimming again. She loves the water” Angelo said as he pointed to Lucy who was too busy enjoy a big bowl of chocolate ice cream to realise she was being spoken about.

“We went to see granddad” Ruby said “Told him about you”

“Oh, what did he say?” Angelo asked

“He still loves you” Charlie said before laughed.

“He’ll be fine once he sees what you’re like now” Ruby said before she ate her dinner. They were all about to leave the Diner when Annie, Jai and Xavier walked in. They looked over at Ruby and she smiled at them but they all quickly looked away. Ruby looked up at Charlie and sighed.

“I did what you said. I apologised at school but they still don’t want to know me” Ruby said sadly.

“Well why don’t you try again?” Angelo chipped in and Ruby looked round at him and sighed.

“Why bother trying again they obviously don’t want to know me” Ruby said

“Go on, just give it another try Ruby” Charlie said and Ruby took a deep breath before standing up and walking over to where they were sitting.

“Hey guys” Ruby said and Annie, Jai and Xavier stared at her blankly. Ruby stood in silence for a minute before she turned to walk away.

“Hey” Xavier said and Ruby smiled slightly before she turned back around.

“Hey” Ruby said again as she made eye contact with him.

“So, listen guys, I’m really sorry again for how I acted and what I said to you and stuff” Ruby said before she looked down at the ground.

“It’s okay” Xavier said “I forgive you” he said and Ruby looked up at him and smiled.

“Eh yeah me too” Jai said.

“Thanks” Ruby said before looking round at Annie who hadn’t said anything yet.

“We are heading to the Surf Club after dinner if you want to join us?” Annie said before smiling.

“Yeah I would like that thanks” Ruby smiled.

“Great, you can be my pool partner” Xavier said “Not that I need much help, those two suck” Xavier laughed as he pointed to Annie and Jai.

“Okay” Ruby laughed “I’ll just go tell my parent’s” Ruby said as she pointed back to Charlie and Angelo.

“Sure we will wait here” Jai said as Ruby walked away. She walked quickly back to the table with a big grin on her face.

“Take it things went well then?” Charlie asked and Ruby nodded her head.

“Yeah, can I go to the Surf Club with them?” Ruby asked and Charlie nodded her head.

“Yeah sure” Charlie smiled.

“Cool, well see you later then” Ruby smiled before she went back over and joined Annie, Jai and Xavier.

“Charlie do you want to come to my house and watch hocapontas? Its’ my favourite” Lucy said and Angelo let out a small laugh as Charlie looked slightly confused.

“She means Pocahontas” Angelo said and Charlie nodded.

“Oh, of course she does” Charlie laughed before looking back up Angelo

“You can come round if you want. It’ll be nice to have some adult company” Angelo said and Charlie nodded her head.

“Yeah okay” Charlie smiled.

“Yay” Lucy shouted as she threw her arms in the air.

“Well I’ll go pay for this” Angelo said as he got up from the table.

“Here’s money for mine and Ruby’s” Charlie said as she handed Angelo some notes.

“No its fine, I’ll pay for it” Angelo said and Charlie shook her head.

“Just take the money Angelo”

“No, I’m buying” Angelo insisted

“Thanks” Charlie smiled

“No problem” Angelo grinned before he walked up the counter and paid for the dinner. Charlie looked round at Angelo and smiled. No matter how much she tried to deny the feelings, she knew Ruby was right. She did like Angelo and she could see them being together and being really happy as a family.

“You ready then?” Angelo asked as he walked back over to the table.

“Yeah” Charlie smiled as she got up from where she was sitting. Lucy jumped down from the seat and ran out of the Diner. When she got outside she took Charlie’s hand in hers and took her dad hands with the other. The three of them walked down the road together to Angelo house. Lucy ran into the house excitedly and ran straight to the unit and pulled out the Pocahontas DVD and ran back up to Angelo.

“Daddy put it on now quickly” Lucy shouted as she ran up and sat on the couch.

“Just make yourself comfy” Angelo said as he looked up at Charlie and she smiled at him before going to sit on the couch. Lucy looked at her and shuffled herself along the couch so she was sitting as close to Charlie as she could. She put her hand on Charlie’s leg and looked up at her and smiled.

“This is the bestest film” Lucy said before turning back around and looking at the TV screen. Angelo looked at Charlie and smiled before he sat down at the other side of Lucy. They watched the movie in silence and Angelo looked pretty pleased when it was over.

“C’mon you, its bed time” Angelo said

“Aww dad 5 more minutes please. I wanted to play a game with Charlie” Lucy said and Angelo shook his head.

“No its bedtime. Say good night to Charlie” Angelo said

“Goodnight Charlie” Lucy said as she gave Charlie a hug before kissing her on the cheek.

“Night Lucy” Charlie smiled.

“I won’t be long” Angelo said before he took Lucy up the stairs. He appeared back down a while later and offered Charlie a drink.

“Can I get you a wine or anything?” Angelo asked

“Yeah please” Charlie replied

“So how are you feeling?” Angelo asked and he handed Charlie the glass of wine and took a seat next to her.

“Yeah I’m fine” Charlie said

“You sure? Because you know you can talk to me about it. I know break up’s can hard” Angelo said and Charlie smiled uncomfortably.

“It’s fine. I just want to concentrate on getting things back on track with Ruby. She become quite distant during the past few months so will be nice just being us two for a while” Charlie said and Angelo smiled.

“Well you raised a great kid Charlie. Despite how she might have behaved when I first met her you really have raised her well” Angelo said and Charlie smiled.

“Can’t really call her a kid now. She’s going to be 16 on Monday. I can’t believe it, she’s grown up so quickly” Charlie said

“I hate that I missed out on so much of her life” Angelo said sadly.

“Yeah, me too” Charlie said “Do you think it would have been any different if you didn’t have to move away?” Charlie asked and Angelo shrugged his shoulders.

“I don’t know. We were young Charlie it’s hard to tell” Angelo said

“Yeah I guess” Charlie replied and she looked up at Angelo and smiled at him. They stared silently at each other for a moment and before Charlie realised it they were kissing. The kiss became more passionate then Charlie quickly pulled away.

“Sorry Charlie, I though....” Angelo started to speak but Charlie spoke over him.

“No don’t be sorry Angelo” Charlie said before pausing for a moment. “I like you, I really like you but Scott and I, we just broke up this week and I need more time” Charlie stopped talking and looked up at Angelo. He nodded his head slowly.

“It’s okay Charlie, I understand” Angelo said and Charlie smiled.

“Well I’m going to go home” Charlie said as she stood up.

“Charlie, don’t leave because of what happened, we can still talk” Angelo said

“I’m not leaving because of what happened. Rubes will probably be home by now and she will be wondering where I am” Charlie said and Angelo nodded his head.

“Okay, well see you at work on Monday then” Angelo said

“Yeah, bye” Charlie said quickly before walking out of the house.

Thank you so much for your lovely comments! :) Hope you like this next part.

Chapter 16

Charlie walked home as quickly as she could as when she got home she found Ruby pacing around the living room with her arms folded.

“Where have you been?” Ruby asked

“I was with Angelo and Lucy” Charlie said as she pulled a face.

“Well you could have told me where you were” Ruby said

“You knew I was with them Ruby” Charlie said before she took a seat on the couch. Ruby went to sit down next to her.

“Yeah but you have been ages since dinner finished” Ruby said and Charlie rolled her eyes.

“Okay sorry mum, I will let you know where I am next time” Charlie said and Ruby laughed.

“What did you do after the Diner?” Ruby asked

“Went round to Angelo’s and watched a DVD then Lucy went to bed and we just chatted” Charlie said and Ruby nodded her head.

“Okay cool” Ruby smiled.

“What’s that grin for?” Charlie asked

“Oh I’m just happy” Ruby said “You know the guys from School giving me another chance”

“Okay so did you have a good night?” Charlie asked

“Yeah it was good” Ruby smiled “We played some pool and had a juice”

“Good. I’m glad you had fun” Charlie smiled

“Yeah, we are going to go to the beach tomorrow” Ruby said

“That’s nice. I’m glad you got things sorted with them”

“Yeah. Me too.” Ruby smiled. “Well that one thing crossed of my list anyways” Ruby said and Charlie gave Ruby a quizzical look.

“What do you mean one thing?” Charlie asked.

“Oh nothing” Ruby said as she jumped up from the couch and made her way to the stairs.

“Ruby, you better not be having any ideas about me and your dad again” Charlie said

“No of course I’m not” Ruby said quickly before running up the stairs.

“Ruby are you ready yet?” Charlie shouted as she stood at the bottom of the stairs.

“Not yet, just go ahead I will catch up” Ruby shouted from her bedroom.

“No I will just wait but hurry up” Charlie shouted

“No honestly go ahead and get a table” Ruby shouted

“Okay” Charlie said as she rolled her eyes. Charlie walked into the Diner and took a seat. A few minutes later and Angelo came walking in and sat down at a table two tables along from Charlie.

“Hey” Angelo said and Charlie smiled at him.

“You look nice, do you have a date? Don’t tell me you are getting back with Scott?” Angelo said and Charlie shook her head.

“No way, I am not going back there” Charlie said “I’m meeting Ruby, what about you do you have a date?”

“I thought I was meeting Ruby” Angelo said and Charlie pulled a face as she shook her head.

“That little....” Charlie trailed off as she looked back up at Angelo.

“I somehow don’t think Ruby is coming” Charlie said

“What?” Angelo said

“She’s had this idea for, well I don’t know how long exactly, but she wants us to get back together” Charlie said before pausing “So I guess she has set us up”

“Oh right” Angelo said before grinning

“What’s that face for?” Charlie asked

“Well we both like each other so what’s stopping her getting her wish?” Angelo said and Charlie sat in silence with a blank expression on her face.

“I don’t know Angelo” Charlie said

“Well we can talk about it over dinner” Angelo smiled as he moved across to sit at the same table as Charlie.

“So seriously Charlie, what’s stopping us?” Angelo asked and Charlie bit her lip.

“Like I said the other night after we kissed, I’ve just broken up with Scott. I don’t want to rush into another relationship. I just want to concentrate on me and Ruby right now. Being with another guy will probably just complicate things again” Charlie said

“But I’m not just any other guy Charlie. I’m Ruby’s dad so it’ll be different. And she wants us to be together. I want us to be together” Angelo said before pausing. “You want us to be together” Angelo added and Charlie looked away from Angelo and pursed her lips together.

“I know but...” Charlie said

“So let’s just give us another try” Angelo butted in.

“Angelo, it’s not that I don’t want to start a relationship with you” Charlie said before pausing.

“Just not one week after your engagement ended?” Angelo said and Charlie nodded her head.

“Yeah, I just need some time” Charlie said and Angelo sat in silence for a moment before he nodded his head.

“It’s okay. Take as long as you need” Angelo said and Charlie smiled as Leah came across to the table to take their order.

“Hey, what can I get you?” Leah asked and Angelo looked at Charlie.

“Are we staying? Angelo asked

“Yeah sure” Charlie smiled before they ordered some dinner. They enjoyed the meal and each other’s company for the rest of the night. After they paid for the meal Charlie went back to the house to have a chat with Ruby about what she had done. She walked into the house and ran up the stairs and went straight into Ruby’s bedroom without even knocking.

“Hey Rubes” Charlie said and she walked across the room and looked at Ruby who was lying on her bed reading a magazine. Ruby jumped up and sat on the bed and watched as Charlie sat down next to her.

“Hey mum, you have a good meal then?” Ruby grinned

“Yes I did it was lovely thanks” Charlie said and Ruby smiled.

“Good, so does that mean you are not mad at me for setting you two up?” Ruby asked hopingly.

“I’m not mad” Charlie said and Ruby smiled “But I’m not happy with you either” Charlie added and the smile quickly fell from Ruby’s face.

“Oh” Ruby said

“I told you not to do anything Rubes” Charlie said and Ruby sighed.

“I’m sorry, but I just really want my family to be together” Ruby said

“Look, Rubes, you’re dad and I, we both like each other and want to get together but it’s not going to happen right now” Charlie said

“But why if you want to be together?” Ruby asked sounding rather disappointed.

“Because I’m not ready to jump into another relationship so soon after Scott” Charlie said and Ruby nodded understandingly.

“Well okay, but it will happen; I mean you two will get back together?” Ruby asked and Charlie nodded her head.

“Yeah we will, but please promise me you will do no more of your match making or scheming or anything like that. Just let me and Angelo figure things out between the two of us, ok” Charlie said and Ruby nodded her head with a huge grin on her face.

“Yeah sure” Ruby smiled before looking up at Charlie with a puzzled look on her face.

“Mum, do you believe in fate?” Ruby asked and Charlie pulled a face.

“I’m not sure Rubes, why?”

“Well think about it. I have wanted for so long to meet my dad and for you two to get back together and for us to be a family and we move here and we find him and you are going to get back together, don’t you think it was meant to happen, it was your fate” Ruby said

“I don’t know Rubes, probably just luck that we found him again” Charlie said

“Well I’d like to believe otherwise” Ruby said “Believe that it was always going to happen at one point. That we have been given a second chance at being a family” she continued.

“Well you believe that sweetie” Charlie said as she patted Ruby on the shoulder before standing up and walking out of the room.

Thanks for the comments. :) This is the second to last chapter, hope you like, sorry its kinda short. :unsure:

Chapter 17

Four months later

Charlie walked up the path and rang the door bell and waited for an answer.

“Hey, you look lovely” Angelo smiled

“Thanks don’t look to bad yourself” Charlie replied

“Hey dad” Ruby smiled as she walked into house.

“Hey” Angelo smiled as he looked down at his daughter. Ruby walked along the hall and into the living room and over to Lucy who was sitting on the couch watching a DVD.

“Hey Luc, what you watching” Ruby said she took a seat next to her.

“Hocapontus. Now Shhh” Lucy said as she brought her index finger up to her mouth. Ruby pulled a face at Lucy before she joined her in watching the film. Charlie and Angelo walked down the hall and into the living room.

“Be good for Ruby” Angelo said but Lucy didn’t even acknowledge that he has spoken to her she was too engrossed in the movie.

“Lucy” Angelo said and he walked forward and ruffled her hair. Lucy quickly looked up.

“What daddy I’m watching this” Lucy said as she pointed to the TV.

“Be good for Ruby” Angelo said again

“Yes of course I will” Lucy said before she smiled cheekily.

“Bye then” Angelo said before he and Charlie walked back out of the house.

“So where are you taking me?” Charlie asked

“You’ll just have to wait and see” Angelo grinned. They walked along the road and down the path to the beach. They walked along the sand and Charlie gasped as she saw a table beautifully decorated with candles and scattered rose petals.

“Aww Angelo it looks lovely” Charlie smiled. He took her hand and led her to her seat, before he sat down in his. Angelo took the bottle of champagne from the cooler and opened it and poured a glass for Charlie before pouring his own. They clunked their glasses together before taking a drink. Charlie was startled when a man appeared at her side with a menu. Charlie looked up and realised the man was Roman, the chef from the Diner. He handed the menu to her and she realised it was one specially made up for this date. Charlie looked at Angelo and smiled at him before they choose what they wanted to eat and Roman walked back up to the Diner to cook the meal for them.

“So what’s going on with Ruby and that boy?” Angelo asked

“Xavier you mean?” Charlie said

“Yeah” Angelo said

“Well as far as I know he is her boyfriend” Charlie said and Angelo got a shocked look on his face.

“Her boyfriend?” Angelo and Charlie nodded her head.

“Yeah” Charlie said

“Are you’re okay with that?” Angelo asked

“Well yeah, I mean she’s 16 Angelo. I can’t stop her having a boyfriend” Charlie said and Angelo nodded his head.

“Yeah okay, I guess.” Angelo said and Charlie started to laugh.

“What’s funny?” Angelo asked

“Well here we are on out first date and we are talking about our 16 year old daughter” Charlie said and Angelo grinned before laughing.

“Okay, no speaking about Ruby” Angelo said and Charlie smiled. Roman came down with their food and then left them again to enjoy their meal. After they had eaten they walked along the beach hand in hand. They stopped walking and Angelo stood behind Charlie and wrapped his arms around her as they watched the sun set.

“This was a perfect night Angelo” Charlie smiled as she turned around to face him.

“Yeah it was great” Angelo said before they shared a kiss. Angelo looked down at Charlie and smiled.

“So will there be a second date?” He asked and Charlie smiled as she nodded her head.

“There will be a second date” Charlie said before they kissed once more.

Thank you all so much for reading and commenting on this! This is the last chapter. I hope you like it. :)

Chapter 18

Eighteen months later

Charlie got out of bed and made her way down the stairs. She walked into the kitchen and smiled as she saw Angelo, Ruby and Lucy were already eating their breakfast.

“Morning babe” Angelo said as he walked across to where she was standing and put his arms around her waist and kissed her softly.

“Eww, please don’t do that in front of me” Ruby said

“Yeah don’t do that, kissing is yucky” Lucy added. Charlie and Angelo look round at their daughters and laughed. They then walked across to the table and ate their breakfast.

“Can we go to the beach today?” Lucy asked

“Yeah sure” Angelo said

“Yey” Lucy shouted

“Do I have to come? I was going to meet Xav later” Ruby said

“Well you can come until you meet him” Charlie said and Ruby nodded her head.

“Yeah I guess. C’mon you, we will go pack stuff for the beach” Ruby said and Lucy jumped off her seat and ran up the stairs with Ruby.

“So have you thought anymore about that holiday?” Angelo asked as Charlie was pouring herself a cup of coffee.

“Yeah, I think it’ll be good” Charlie said and Angelo smiled. “Not sure we will be able to tear Ruby away from Xavier for two weeks though” Charlie laughed

“We could away ask him if he wanted to come with us. Might make Ruby more open to the idea” Angelo said and Charlie thought about it for a few moments before she nodded her head.

“Yeah maybe” Charlie said before she finished her breakfast. Lucy came running down the stairs and jumped on Charlie’s knee.

“Can you put my hair in pigtails” Lucy said as she shoved a hair brush and some bobbles in Charlie’s face. “In plaits” Lucy said and Charlie nodded her head.

“Yeah, I can” Charlie said

“Thank you” Lucy smiled

“I thought you were getting stuff for the beach” Angelo said and Lucy let out a little laugh.

“I made Ruby carry it down” Lucy said just as Ruby walked into the kitchen with the beach towels, beach ball, bats and ball and the beach bag and she threw them down on the floor.

“Can we go soon as I did have plans to meet Xav” Ruby said.

“Yeah just let me go get dressed and we can leave” Charlie said as she tied the bobble in Lucy hair.

“There you go” Charlie said as she lifted Lucy off her knee and stood up.

“Thank you” Lucy said again. Charlie went up the stairs and quickly got herself showered and dressed before appearing back down the stairs again. Lucy ran up to her and took her hand.

“Are you ready for the beach now?” Lucy asked

“Yup, let’s go” Charlie smiled

When they got to the beach Charlie, Angelo and Ruby all sat down in the sand. Lucy quickly pulled off her dress and tried to pull Ruby to her feet.

“Ruby come in the sea now” Lucy said as she was desperately pulling her arm trying to get her to her feet.

“Yeah okay” Ruby said as she jumped up to her feet and stripped off to her bikini. She took Lucy’s hand and they walked down to the sea together. A few minutes later Lucy came running up the beach and pulled at Charlie’s hand.

“You come in too” She said as she tried to pull Charlie to her feet.

“I will come in later” Charlie said and Lucy shook her head.

“No now please” Lucy said before she pulled a sad face.

“Don’t do that face Lucy you know she can’t say no to that” Angelo laughed and he playfully hit Charlie across the arm.

“I know. That’s why I did it” Lucy laughed “You come in too daddy” Lucy said

“Okay” Angelo said as he stood up.

“You too Mrs” Angelo said and Charlie shook her head.

“Right Lucy if she isn’t going to come it looks like I’m going to have to make her” Angelo said as he looked down at Charlie will a grin on his face.

“Don’t you dare” Charlie said as Angelo bent down to pick her up. He took her in his arms and started running down to the sea with Charlie screaming at him to put her down and Lucy running alongside them in fits of laughter. Angelo reached the waters edge and looked round at Ruby.

“I wouldn’t if I were you. Unless you want killed, that is” Ruby said before looking at Charlie and laughing.

“It’s a risk I will have to take” Angelo said before he ran further into the sea and dropped Charlie under much to the delight of Lucy. Charlie emerged from under the water to see three faces laughing back at her she looked up at Angelo and he started to run and Charlie chased after him with Lucy and Ruby following her. Charlie grabbed Angelo from behind and pushed him down into the sea. Lucy jumped on top of him and they all started to splash him. After about 10 minutes of mucking around in the sea Charlie and Angelo ran back up to the towels and took a seat. Charlie looked round at Angelo and smiled before moving closer to him. She put her arms around him and rested her head on his shoulder. Angelo looked down at her and planted a kiss on her head before putting his arm around her. They sat in silence as they watched their girls playing the sea. Charlie smiled to herself as she realised that not only Ruby, but she too had everything she’d always wished for. A perfect family.

Comments

Archived