Story Title: - A Second Chance

Type of story: Long

Main Characters: Charlie and Ruby

Other Characters: Scott, Angelo, Annie, Ross + Others

BTTB rating: G/T

Genre: Drama/Romance/Relationships

Does story include spoilers: No

Any warnings: Will warn at beginning of chapter if any

Summary: Charlie and Ruby arrive in Summer Bay to start a new life. Soon enough Charlie’s past catches up with her and Ruby is finding it difficult to settle into life in Summer Bay. With their relationship already fragile will events that occur bring Charlie and Ruby closer together or tear them even further apart?

In this fiction, Ruby has always known that Charlie is her mother. Charlie was 16 when she had Ruby and she was not raped.

Chapter 1

Charlie threw the test in the bin as she felt a tear rolling down her cheek. She wiped it away quickly before running out of the toilets and along the corridor. She ran into the room and took her seat at the back of the class.

“Miss Buckton so nice of you to join us” her teacher said as Charlie was rummaging about in her bag trying to find the folder she needed for class.

“Sorry, I was at the toilet” Charlie said as she still looked through her bag.

“Charlie that’s what break and lunch time is for” her teacher said.

“Yeah right whatever” Charlie mumbled as she nodded her head. The teacher walked down the classroom and stood in front of Charlie’s desk and cleared her throat which caused Charlie too look up at her.

“Yes?” Charlie asked

“Are you ready to start class?” her teacher asked as Charlie pulled out her folder and grabbed a pen and lay them down on the desk before looking back up at her teacher.

“Ready miss” Charlie said cheekily as she smirked at her teacher.

“Great, now Charlie is ready we can all begin” her teacher said as she rolled her eyes before she turned around and walked back up the classroom.

“Charlie....Charlie” A male voice whispered and Charlie turned her head to the left and looked at him. “You alright?” he asked but Charlie ignored him and turned back to look at the front of the class. “Charlie” the voice said again and she turned round and looked at him.

“Are you alright?” he asked again and Charlie nodded her head.

“I’m fine” Charlie said before she looked back to the front of the class. She put her hand on her stomach and closed her eyes as she sighed. She would tell him later. English with Miss Smith really wasn’t the right time to tell your boyfriend you were pregnant. After what seemed like forever the bell finally rang and the students quickly got up and left the room. Charlie walked quickly along the corridor and pushed the door open to get outside. She started to walk across the school grounds and ignored the shouting she heard from behind her. She started to walk faster but was soon stopped when someone grabbed her arm.

“Didn’t you hear me shouting on you?” he asked as he tried to catch his breath.

“Eh no sorry” Charlie said trying to sound convincing.

“That’s alright” he smiled “Where do you fancy going for lunch?” he asked as he tried to take her hand. “I need to speak to you about something” he continued as Charlie pulled away from him.

“I’m going home. I don’t feel well” Charlie lied as she started to walk away.

“Well do you want me to come with you?” he said looking concerned for his girlfriend.

“No its fine” Charlie said as she walked away. She walked out of the school grounds and made sure she was out of his sight before she ran all the way home. She ran into the house and up to her bedroom and collapsed on her bed in tears. She knew she had to tell him and she would soon but she just needed more time.

16 Years later

“Ruby are you ready?” Charlie shouted as she walked along the corridor and leaned against the door frame of her daughter’s bedroom. Ruby was lying on her bed reading a magazine with her headphone’s in her ears. Charlie looked around the room and noticed that none of her packing had been done. She looked at her watch and sighed before walking along to the bed and pulling the magazine away from Ruby.

“Hey, I was reading that” Ruby shouted as she pulled the headphone’s from her ears before trying to grab the magazine from Charlie’s hand.

“Yeah well less reading and more packing would be nice” Charlie said as she threw the magazine down on the bed.

“I told you I’m not moving” Ruby shouted and Charlie sat down on the bed next to Ruby and rubbed her forehead.

“Ruby please start packing your stuff” Charlie said

“No” Ruby shouted as she picked the magazine up and opened it again.

“Ruby” Charlie yelled as she pulled the magazine from her again.

“What?” Ruby shouted as she looked up at Charlie.

“You’re stuff. Get it packed. Now” Charlie said sternly.

“No. I’m not moving” Ruby shouted as she got up from where she was sitting. She walked across her bedroom and looked out of the window before turning around and leaning against the ledge. “I love it here mum. I don’t want to go live in a stupid little beachside town.” Ruby shouted.

“Well that’s just too bad Ruby because we are going” Charlie replied.

“Why? Because stupid Scott wants to?” Ruby shouted and Charlie shook her head.

“We both want to move Ruby” Charlie told her and Ruby sighed as she shook her head.

“Yeah and what about what I want? I don’t want to go but I don’t seem to have a say” Ruby yelled and Charlie sighed before putting her head in her hands. She sat like that for a few minutes before she looked up at Ruby again.

“Just pack your stuff Ruby, we are going” Charlie said as she stood up and made her way to the bedroom door.

“Ah I hate you” Ruby shouted as she walked across to her wardrobe and started to pull her clothes out and chuck them violently into the suit case that was sitting on the floor.

“Aww, I love you too” Charlie shouted as she walked out of the bedroom and along the corridor. She walked into her bedroom and sat down on the bed and sighed. She smiled as she felt a hand touch her shoulder and saw the figure sit down next her.

“Someone’s excited about the move” Scott said before letting out a small laugh. Charlie looked up at him and shook her head.

“Don’t Scott, it’s not funny” Charlie said

“Yeah I know sorry” Scott said and Charlie smiled at him. “I’m sure she will come round to the idea eventually” Scott continued and Charlie shrugged her shoulders.

“Yeah well we are going tomorrow so she doesn’t have long” Charlie said and Scott put his arm around Charlie and Charlie rested her head against his chest.

“Sorry babe” Scott said as he placed a kiss on Charlie’s head.

“What have you got to be sorry for?” Charlie asked with a puzzled expression on her face as she sat back up to look at him.

“Well I was the one who suggested the move” Scott said and Charlie shook her head.

“I wanted to move too” Charlie said and Scott nodded his head as he smiled.

“Once Ruby get’s there and settle’s into school and makes some friends I’m sure she will be fine” Scott said.

“Yeah I hope so” Charlie smiled.

Thank you for your comments. :) Hope you like this next part.

Chapter 2

Ruby was standing at the front of the class room being introduced to the class as the new student. She felt so embarrassed she just wanted to run out of the building and not stop till she got back to the city to her old school with her old friends. She let out a heavy sigh as the teacher was saying something, she wasn’t quite sure what and she didn’t really seem to care. She didn’t want to be there and she wasn’t going to make an effort to try and fit it.

“So Ruby, do you want to tell the class something about yourself?” the teacher asked for the second time before Ruby heard.

“Oh uhm not particularly” Ruby replied

“Okay so you don’t want to tell them a bit about yourself so they can get to know you?” the teacher asked and Ruby shrugged her shoulders.

“Don’t really care” Ruby said “Cant I just go sit down”

“Very well” The teacher said as he pointed to the seat and Ruby walked down the class room as every other student’s started at her as she did so. She took a seat at the desk and slammed her folder down. She looked to her left then to her right and noticed a girl staring at her with a big cheesy grin on her face.

“What you looking at?” Ruby snarled

“Hi. I’m Annie” The girl said still with a smile on her face. Ruby rolled her eyes and looked back to the front of the class. The teacher started to talk and Ruby started to doddle on her work book. After what seemed like forever the bell finally went and Ruby jumped up as quickly as she could and started to walk out of the class. She was walking along the corridor when Annie ran up beside her.

“Hey. You want any help on finding your next class?” Annie said as she tried to take a look at Ruby’s timetable.

“Double science. No thanks” Ruby said as she walked out of the school and made her way to the gates.

“Where are you going, you can’t just skip class” Annie said sounding rather appalled at Ruby.

“Says who? You?” Ruby laughed. “It’s not like I’ve never done it before” Ruby said sounding rather pleased with herself.

“Hey, you’re the new girl right?” A male voice said as he approached Ruby and Annie.

“Yeah, so what’s it to you?” Ruby snarled.

“Just wondered” the boy said. “So what are you doing up here and not on the way to class Annie Campbell? He asked

“I was going to show her to science but she said she was going to skip class” Annie said

“Wow Annie Campbell is going to skip class?” he questioned sarcastically.

“No, I was trying to tell her to come to class” Annie said

“Skipping class sounds better than science” he laughed “Mind if I join you?” he asked

“Sure why not” Ruby said as she nodded her head. They started to walk away from the school grounds as Annie turned around and made her way to class.

“I’m Gonk by the way, stick with me and you will be fine” he smiled as they walked along the road away from the school.

Charlie was pacing around the living room waiting on Ruby to come home. School had phoned Charlie to say she had left after first period and hadn’t come back. Charlie had tried calling her and she drove around the town looking for her but she couldn’t find her. She called her friends in the city and they swore that Ruby hadn’t turned up there and all Charlie could do was believe them. It was a few hours after school had finished but Ruby hadn’t appeared home. She was about to go out to look for her again but then Ruby burst through the door in fits of laughter.

“Hey mum this is Gonk” Ruby said as they walked through the house and Ruby started to walk up the stairs with Gonk behind her.

“Eh not so fast Ruby” Charlie said and Ruby sighed and stopped walking.

“What?” Ruby shouted as she folded her arms.

“Get down here sit on that couch now” Charlie said with authority in her voice. Ruby sighed as she rolled her eyes and stomped down the stairs and sat down.

“You can just go home now” Charlie said as she looked at Gonk. He nodded his head and ran out of the house. Charlie looked at Ruby and sighed before she sat down next to her.

“So how was school?” Charlie asked casually.

“Yeah fine. You know how school is” Ruby said

“So you stayed there all day?” Charlie asked and Ruby nodded.

“Yes. Where else could I go in this dump” Ruby retorted

“I don’t know, why don’t you tell me Ruby? Because school rang and you certainly weren’t there” Charlie said and the smug expression on Ruby’s face dropped and she sat there in silence.

“Well answer me” Charlie shouted

“Just out and about” Ruby said

“Ruby I thought you were going to stop this” Charlie sighed.

“Stop what?” Ruby asked, even though she knew full well what Charlie was talking about.

“Skipping school” Charlie said.

“Oh that” Ruby laughed “Nah” She said

“Ruby is there anything you want to talk to me about? Is there something bothering you? Charlie asked as she rubbed Ruby gently on the arm.

“No” Ruby replied as she let out a small laugh.

“Well then why are you behaving like this?” Charlie asked

“Like what?” Ruby shouted as she moved her arm away.

“Do you really need me to answer that Ruby?” Charlie yelled and Ruby nodded.

“Well that’s why I asked” Ruby retorted.

“See that’s exactly what I’m talking about Ruby. That attitude, talking back, skipping school, not doing what I or Scott asks you, it’s not you Ruby” Charlie said

“Yeah well people change. Just look at you” Ruby retorted.

“And what’s that supposed to mean?” Charlie asked sounding rather confused at Ruby’s comment.

“Well you’ve not been yourself lately either” Ruby said

“How have I changed?” Charlie asked

“Dunno, you just have” Ruby said as she shrugged her shoulders.

“Well maybe that’s because I’m at a loss at how to deal with your recent behaviour transplant” Charlie snapped.

“Oh whatever” Ruby shouted as she jumped up from the couch and made her way to the stairs.

“Ruby, I’m not finished talking to you” Charlie shouted as she followed her up the stairs.

“You know what mum, I’m surprised you’ve even talked to me for this long” Ruby shouted

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Charlie asked with a puzzled look on her face.

“Like you don’t already know” Ruby shouted before running up the stairs and slamming her bedroom door shut. Charlie thought about following Ruby up to her bedroom but instead she took at seat on the couch and put her head in her hands as she sighed. She looked up as she heard the door opening and Scott walking into the house. He took one look at her and from the expression on her face he knew something was wrong.

“What’s wrong?” he asked as he walked across to her and pulled her up from the couch and into a hug.

“Oh just Ruby being......Ruby” Charlie replied. “You know I don’t know what’s gotten into her lately” she continued.

“Yeah, me either” Scott said as he cleared his throat.

Thank you for the comments! :D Here's the next part, I hope you like it.

Chapter 3

Charlie walked into the station and stood next to the desk her eyes wondering around the room. She waited for a few minutes before someone appeared out of the office and walked up beside her.

“Can I help you?” He asked and Charlie nodded her head slightly.

“I’m Charlie Buckton. You should be expecting me here today” Charlie said and the man nodded.

“Oh yes, you must be the new officer” the man said as he held his hand out for Charlie to shake.

“I’m Jack, Jack Holden” he said as they shook hands. “I will just go get Fitzy” he said before turning around and walking back into the office. About 5 minutes later and she appeared in the room.

“Charlie, sorry about the wait, you came earlier as I expected” she said as she walked across the room and stood next to Charlie.

“Sorry, I dropped my daughter of at school and then thought I may as well come in” Charlie said and Lara smiled.

“That’s not a problem, shows you’re keen to start.” Lara laughed. “Anyway you can come through to my office and we will get everything sorted” Lara said and Charlie nodded her head and followed her through.

Ruby and Gonk walked along the road and into the house. They threw their bags down before walking into the kitchen. Ruby started to make them some lunch just as Scott walked into the house. He saw the school bags in the living room and shook his head automatically thinking that Ruby was skipping school again.

“Ruby, what the hell are you doing here? You promised you would stay at school all day today” Scott shouted as he walked from the living room to the kitchen. Ruby turned around too look at him.

“Yeah and I have” Ruby snapped.

“Oh yeah it looks like you are in school” Scott spat and Ruby shook her head.

“It’s lunchtime. I’m allowed to come home and get something to eat am I not?” Ruby shouted.

“Oh right. Yes” Scott said he picked up some papers he had left lying on the table.

“Anyways, I just came home for these. Best get back to work” Scott said as he put the papers away in his briefcase. “Straight back to school after lunch Ruby” Scott said sternly and Ruby looked at Gonk and made a face before nodding her head ever so slightly. “Ruby” Scott shouted

“What?” Ruby shouted as she turned to look at him.

“School” Scott yelled.

“Yeah I heard you the first time” Ruby retorted before turning back around and finished making her sandwich. Scott shook his head before walking out of the house.

Ruby passed a sandwich to Gonk before they walked back into the living room.

“Don’t get on with your dad then?” Gonk asked as they sat down on the couch.

“He is not my dad” Ruby said with emphasis

“Oh right” Gonk said. “See your dad much then?” Gonk asked and Ruby shook her head.

“I’ve never met him. Don’t really know anything about him” Ruby said looking down at the floor and Gonk nodded choosing not to say anymore on the subject as he notice Ruby didn’t feel comfortable talking to him about it.

“Anyways can I get you a drink or something? Ruby said as she looked up at him.

“Ehm yeah sure” Gonk said and Ruby stood up and made her way to the kitchen. She walked back through and passed him his drink before sitting back down on the couch. After about 10 minutes Gonk looked at his watch and sighed.

“We should really head back soon” Gonk said

“Or we could just hang out here” Ruby suggested and Gonk nodded his head.

“Yeah beats school” Gonk laughed.

Charlie was speaking to Lara, Jack and a few other officers in the station when she saw him. He walked into the room and up to where they were all standing.

“Charlie, this is….” Lara started to speak

“Angelo?” Charlie said rather shocked at who she saw standing before her. Angelo’s face dropped as he walked closer to where Charlie was standing.

“Charlie?” He said sounding rather surprised.

“Do you two know each other?” Jack asked looking slightly confused as he pointed to Charlie then Angelo as he spoke.

Charlie looked away from Angelo as thoughts were running through her mind about the last time she saw him and how things were between the two of them before he left. She didn’t know why, she never really got a proper explanation. Charlie sudden realised someone had asked her a question and she looked back up at Jack.

“Ehm yea we know each other from High School” Charlie finally spoke and Jack nodded his head.

Wow, thank you all so much for the lovely comments. They make me smile! :) Here's the next part. Hope you like it.

Chapter 4

Angelo looked round at Charlie and smiled at her. Charlie however could not smile back she just stared at him with an angry expression on her face. She was angry that he left without saying anything to her and even more angry for their daughter, Ruby, for never having her dad in her life when she was growing up.

“Sorry, I have to go” Charlie said as she ran out of the station and along to the beach. As she sat down she picked up a clump of sand and parted her fingers slightly letting the grains fall through. She heard footsteps from behind her and looked around to see Angelo getting closer and closer to her. She thought about getting up and running but she quickly changed her mind. She knew she would have to face Angelo sooner or later and they were going to be working together so she had to talk to him.

“Why did you run away?” Angelo asked as he took a seat next to Charlie and Charlie looked down at the sand and shrugged her shoulders.

“I guess I was just shocked to see you after all this time” Charlie said keeping her gaze firmly on the sand.

“Yea” Angelo said as he nodded his head. “I didn’t expect to see you again” he continued. Charlie just sat there staring blankly as she played with the sand with her fingers.

“So how have you been?” Angelo asked as he tried to break the silence.

“Alright” Charlie said and Angelo nodded his head.

“Good” he said.

“You just left. Without saying anything” Charlie said looking up at Angelo for the first time since they started speaking.

“I’m sorry Charlie. I did try to tell you a few times, but then I didn’t, for some reason” Angelo said.

“So you just thought let’s not bother telling her at all” Charlie retorted and Angelo shook his head.

“I’m sorry Charlie. I did leave you a letter” Angelo said and Charlie let out a small laugh.

“Oh right yea. ‘I’m sorry, I’m moving’ some letter Angelo” Charlie said Angelo sighed.

“I know I’m sorry. But we were only young Charlie. It wasn’t as though we were that serious” Angelo said

“We were sleeping together Angelo; we said we loved each other. It felt pretty serious to me” Charlie shouted sounding rather shocked and upset by Angelo’s comment.

“C’mon Charlie we were only 15 – 16 do you really believe we would have lasted?” Angelo said and Charlie shrugged her shoulders.

“Maybe, if...” Charlie started to speak but Angelo spoke over her.

“Look is there much point in us arguing about the past now?” Angelo asked and Charlie shook her head.

“No I guess not” Charlie said before down at the sand again.

“So how have you been?” Angelo asked

“You already asked that” Charlie said and Angelo nodded his head before they fell into silence. Charlie felt awkward sitting with Angelo after all this time knowing he has a daughter with her. She knew she needed to tell Angelo about Ruby but she didn’t feel she was able to just come out and say it. They sat in silence for a few minutes before once again Angelo broke it.

“So I see that your engaged” Angelo said he looked down at Charlie’s hand. Charlie looked at Angelo and felt somewhat surprised by this comment. She nodded her head slowly before looking away from him.

“Look Charlie, I sense you are still mad at me for whatever reason but it was 16 years ago now is it really still worth getting mad over?” Angelo asked and Charlie sat in silence for a few minutes before answering.

“No I guess not” Charlie said.

“Good because we are going to have to get on, we are going to be partners” Angelo said and Charlie nodded her head as she noticed a small child running along the beach and up to Angelo.

“Daddy” She shouted as she leaped onto him and gave him a big hug before sitting down beside him. “Hello I’m Lucy. What’s your name?” the little girl asked as she smiled at Charlie.

“I’m Charlie” Charlie said as she looked down and smiled at her.

“Are you my daddy’s friend?” She asked and Charlie paused before nodding her head slightly.

“I work with your daddy” Charlie said and Lucy nodded her head just as a woman walked up to where they were all sitting.

“Hey, sorry she wanted to come and say hello” the woman said and Angelo smiled and he looked up at her.

“That’s alright” Angelo said as he sat his daughter on his knee and gave her a hug.

“Daddy are you coming home now?” Lucy asked and Angelo shook his head.

“No sweetie I’m working” Angelo said and Lucy sulked as she looked down to the sand.

“But I want you too” Lucy said as she started to throw the sand at the woman that was standing there.

“Lucy stop throwing sand” Angelo said and Lucy shook her head.

“No” she shouted before she stood up and started to run away from Angelo. “Bet you can’t catch me daddy” Lucy said as she ran and Angelo jumped to his feet and started to chase after his daughter.

“I bet I can” he shouted and Lucy burst into laughter as she ran down the beach with Angelo following her. The other woman sat down next to Charlie and smiled.

“Hi I’m Jane” She said

“Charlie” Charlie said as she smiled at the other woman.

“He’s great with her” Jane smiled as she watched Angelo and Lucy running around together. “It wasn’t easy for him at first coping alone but he’s really great. Lucy’s a great kid” Jane said and Charlie pulled a face feeling slightly confused.

“I’m sorry, I don’t really know what you mean” Charlie said

“Well you know with his wife dying shortly after Lucy was born” Jane said and Charlie’s mouth opened in shock.

“Oh I didn’t know” Charlie said and Jane looked at her with a rather puzzled look on her face.

“Oh I assumed you would have known, you know, being his colleague and all” Jane said and Charlie shook her head.

“No, I only started today” Charlie replied

“Oh okay” Jane said as she nodded her head. Charlie smiled at Jane before looking up at Angelo and watching him playing with his daughter. Part of her felt angry that Ruby had missed out on all those times with her father but then there was this other part of her that felt a huge rush of sympathy and admiration for him. She smiled as she saw Angelo scoop Lucy up into his arms and flung her over his shoulder. Lucy was screaming and giggling with delight as Angelo walked back across to where Charlie and Jane were sitting. He sat back down in the sand and squeezed Lucy and she squirmed to get away.

“Daddy let me go now” Lucy said as she broke free and stood up next to Jane. “Let’s go now” Lucy said as she tried to pull Jane up to her feet. Jane stood up and Lucy took hold of her hand. They said goodbye then Angelo watched as they walked away across the beach.

“Ah she’s a great kid” Angelo smiled as he looked round at Charlie. “She can be a handful but it’s all worth it at the end of the day when I’m tucking her into bed and she looks up at me with those big brown eyes and she tells me she loves me” Angelo grinned “I just wish her mother was here to see her grow up. She…”

“It’s okay, I know” Charlie said and Angelo looked at her confusingly. “Jane mentioned it. I think she thought I knew. I’m sorry Angelo” Charlie said

“It’s alright. Thanks” Angelo said and Charlie smiled sympathetically. “Jane’s great with her too” Angelo continued to talk. “She’s my next door neighbour and babysitter. Never had a family of her own” Angelo said before he stopped talking and looked up at Charlie. “Sorry, I’m rambling aren’t I?” Angelo said and Charlie shook her head.

“No its fine” Charlie said although she wasn’t sure she knew how she felt hearing Angelo talk about his daughter like that.

“So do you have any children?” Angelo asked and Charlie sat there for a few moments in silence. She knew she had to tell him about Ruby and she knew it would get harder to tell him the longer she left it. She took a deep breath before looking up at Angelo and nodded her head slowly.

“I have a daughter” Charlie said as she bit her lip.

“Aw great, how old is she? Maybe if she is similar ages with Lucy we can arrange a play date” Angelo laughed and Charlie smiled awkwardly at him. She took another deep breath before answering Angelo’s question.

“She 15, Angelo, almost 16” Charlie said

“Oh well I guess a play date is out of the question. I doubt a 16 year old would want to play with a 4 year old” Angelo grinned and Charlie laughed awkwardly.

“16 you say? You must have been young when you had her?” Angelo said and Charlie nodded her head feeling slightly surprised that Angelo hadn’t seemed to make the connection yet.

“Angelo….” Charlie started to speak but Angelo spoke over her.

“Well I best get back to work” Angelo said as he looked at his watch and stood up. He walked away from Charlie and Charlie sighed before she rubbed her forehead. She sat in the sand looking out to the sea thinking of how she was going to tell Angelo that her daughter was actually his daughter too, but before she had the chance to think of anything Angelo reappeared at her side.

“Uhm, Charlie, is there anything you need to tell me?”

Again, thank you so much for the lovely comments you leave. :) Here's the next part, sorry its kinda short. Hope you like. :unsure:

Chapter 5

Charlie looked up at Angelo and went to speak but before she got the chance to Angelo spoke again.

“Your daughter, she’s my daughter, our daughter” Angelo said as he stood there staring down at Charlie. Charlie just sat there and nodded her head. Angelo’s mouth opened in shock as he put his hand on his chest. “Wow, I have another daughter” Angelo said as he sat back down next to Charlie. “Did you know before I left?” Angelo asked and Charlie looked away from Angelo as she nodded her head.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you but I…” Charlie started to speak as she turned to face Angelo and she saw an angry expression on his face.

“How long did you know for?” Angelo asked and Charlie bit her lip.

“Three, four days” Charlie said and Angelo shook his head.

“You knew for four days and didn’t tell me?” Angelo shouted

“I’m sorry Angelo but I was in shock. I was scared. I was only 15” Charlie replied and Angelo shook his head.

“That’s not the point Charlie, I had a right to know” Angelo spat

“Just like I had the right to know you were moving away, you must have known about that for a while” Charlie retorted and Angelo sat in silence for a few minutes before talking.

“Yeah your right. Sorry” Angelo said

“Would it have made a difference even if I had told you?” Charlie asked and Angelo shook his head.

“I don’t know. It was for my dad’s job, we had to move” Angelo said and Charlie sighed.

“I can’t imagine your parents being too happy with you. You’re dad was pretty strict” Angelo said.

“Yea he was mad, really really mad. Maybe it was best we didn’t know where you went or you might not be here today” Charlie laughed and Angelo nervously joined in.

“Yeah well he never did like me” Angelo said

“That’s because you led me astray” Charlie laughed

“I don’t think so” Angelo laughed “More like the other way around” he said as he playfully hit Charlie on the arm. They looked up and met each other’s gaze and were silent for a moment.

“Ruby” Charlie said as broke away from the gaze.

“What?” Angelo asked confused at Charlie’s sudden outburst.

“Her name is Ruby” Charlie said again and Angelo nodded his head understandingly.

“I like that name, it’s nice” Angelo said and Charlie smiled.

“Lucy kinda looks like her a bit” Charlie said

“She’s always wanted a sister. I guess now she has one” Angelo grinned. Charlie smiled back at Angelo before sitting in silence.

“So can you tell me about her?” Angelo said and Charlie looked up at him.

“Yeah, sorry, I just didn’t expect all this to happen, I’m a bit shocked” Charlie said and Angelo laughed.

“You’re shocked? I’ve just found out I have a teenage daughter” Angelo said before taking a deep breath. Charlie was about to reply to him when she spotted Lara walking along the beach and she didn’t look happy with them.

“You two are supposed to be working, not sitting out here chatting” Lara said sternly.

“Sorry” Charlie and Angelo both spoke at the same time as they stood up.

“We’ve had a call about some teenagers causing trouble down at the bait shop. Can you go and check it out please” Lara said and Charlie and Angelo nodded before heading for Angelo’s car. They sat in the car in silence during the short drive to the bait shop. When they got out of the car they saw two teenagers shouting at an older man. As they started to walk across to them the teenagers started to run away and Angelo and Charlie quickly chased after them. Angelo quickly grabbed hold of one of the teens while Charlie got the other one. Charlie looked down at the girl she had in her arms and a rush of disappointed fell over her.

“Oh what you going to do, arrest your own daughter?” Ruby sniggered and Charlie sighed heavily as she looked up at Angelo.

“Angelo, meet Ruby”

Thank you for the comments. :) Here's the next part, hope you like....:unsure:

Chapter 6

“Flaming mongrels were trying to steal some dive equipment” Alf said as he was walking across to where Charlie, Angelo, Gonk and Ruby were standing.

“Borrow. We were going to borrow some dive equipment” Ruby said as she leaned forward and pointed at Alf before she burst into a fit of laughter.

“What’s so flaming funny?” Alf asked

“Because I don’t know how to dive” Ruby said as she was still laughing.

“Ruby have you been drinking?” Charlie asked as she looked back down at her daughter.

“No” Ruby said before looking at Gonk and laughing. “Well okay, maybe just a little bit” Ruby said as she made a gesture with her hands, but she lost her balance and fell back causing Charlie to hold her upright again.

“Shouldn’t you be in school anyways?” Angelo said and Ruby looked up at him and cheered.

“Way to point out the obvious” she said.

“We thought this would be more fun” Gonk chipped in.

“A good lesson in discipline is what these two needs” Alf bellowed and he pointed to Gonk then to Ruby. “Parents are too soft these day’s” Alf said as she shook his head. Charlie looked up at Angelo and he shrugged his shoulders before he started to walk Gonk over to the car. Charlie followed with Ruby.

“Do you want to make a statement or press charges against anything Mr Stewart?” Angelo asked and Alf shook his head.

“Just give them a good talking too” Alf said as he walked away. Angelo got in the car and looked at Charlie but she looked away from him and out of the window. She was embarrassed. Embarrassed by the way he had been introduced to his daughter, embarrassed for Ruby for behaving like that unknowingly in front of her dad who she had be wanting to know for as long as Charlie could remember and even more embarrassed for herself and how she must look as a parent with Ruby behaving how she was. Angelo drove up to Gonk’s house and took him inside and spoke with him and his mother while Charlie stayed in the car with Ruby. They sat in silence for at least 5 minutes before Ruby spoke.

“So are you going to say anything?” Ruby asked and Charlie turned around to face Ruby but she didn’t say anything, she just stared at her with a look of disappointment on her face. Ruby flung her head back and rested it against the back of the chair. Charlie sighed lightly before turning back around in the seat and looked out of the window. A few minutes later and Angelo came back out of the house and got into the car. He drove Charlie and Ruby to their house and walked in with them. Ruby stopped at the bottom of the stairs and turned around to face Charlie and looked up at her. She stumbled back slightly and fell on the stairs, before sitting up and leaning against the wall.

“Can you not shout just now” Ruby said and Charlie shook her head.

“Just go to your room Ruby” Charlie said and Ruby slowly got up and walked up the stairs. Charlie looked round at Angelo and felt embarrassed once more. She looked away from him and walked over to the couch and sat down, putting her head in her hands as she sighed. Angelo walked over to where Charlie was sitting and sat down beside her.

“She seems….” Angelo started to speak but Charlie spoke over him.

“She not normally like this Angelo” Charlie said as she looked up at him “That girl you’re seeing, it’s not Ruby. Well I guess for the last few months she been a bit……..” Charlie stopped talking, trying to find the right word to use. “Difficult” Charlie said and Angelo nodded his head understandingly.

“But drinking, getting in trouble with the police. It’s not Ruby” Charlie sighed.

“Just seems to me that she is being a teenager” Angelo said “But I would try and keep her away from that Gonk boy. He’s trouble”

“Cant really make her do much these days” Charlie replied sadly and Angelo smiled.

“Can always chuck her in the cell for one night. Might scare her a bit” Angelo said.

“That’s not a bad idea” Charlie laughed before they sat in silence for a few minutes.

“Were we that bad as teenagers?” Charlie asked and Angelo shook his head

“No, we were pretty well behaved. Never done anything wrong” Angelo said “Well apart from getting you pregnant at 15” Angelo added quietly and Charlie let out a small laugh.

“Maybe its best we don’t tell her today about who you are” Charlie said

“Oh” Angelo said

“Just, I think things need to calm down a bit” Charlie said and Angelo nodded his head.

“Okay, I guess we have a lot to talk about anyways. I mean there’s Lucy and your partner to consider as well” Angelo said and Charlie nodded. “Anyways I guess we should really go back to work. Don’t want Fitzy getting mad at us again, especially as it is your first day” Angelo laughed.

“Yeah I guess” Charlie said as they stood up and made their way to the door.

“What about Ruby?” Angelo asked and Charlie looked up the stairs and sighed.

“I will deal with her later” She said as she walked out of the house.

Once again, thank you all so much for the comments. They really keep me going. :) Here's the next part. Hope you like it.

Chapter 7

Charlie was dishing up the diner and telling Scott about what had happened with Ruby and about the argument she had had with her when she returned home from work. As expected Ruby had been less than enthusiastic to talk to Charlie and the argument had once again ended with Ruby storming up the stairs to her bedroom and she hadn’t appeared out since.

“You are going to have to have a serious talk with that girl of yours” Scott said as Charlie put the plate’s down on the table.

“Don’t you think I’ve tried that?” Charlie replied

“Well obviously not hard enough” Scott spat “She can’t get away with this behaviour anymore”

“I don’t see you trying to help” Charlie snapped and Scott shook his head.

“She’s not my problem is she?” Scott shouted

“Ah that’s just great Scott, thanks for the support” Charlie shouted as she shook her head and got up from the table and made her way out of the kitchen.

“Charlie” Scott shouted as he chased after her and grabbed her arm to pull her back. “Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that” Scott said

“How did you mean it then?” Charlie asked and Scott stood in silence with a blank expression on his face.

“I just, I don’t know Charlie” Scott said quietly and Charlie screwed up her face.

“What do you mean you don’t know?” Charlie asked and Scott let out a heavy sigh.

“Well you know she won’t listen to what I say” Scott shouted

“That’s not the point Scott” Charlie yelled “I still need to feel like you are supporting me”

“Well its hard Charlie. You know how I feel about kids, I just, I don’t know what to say” Scott said and Charlie shook her head.

“Then why ask me out, why move in with me, why propose if you don’t want children. It’s not like I kept Ruby from you, you knew about her before we even started dating” Charlie yelled

“Because she was 14 when we started dating Charlie, I guess I thought she would be past needing much parenting” Scott said and once again Charlie made a face.

“That’s just stupid Scott” Charlie said

“Yeah I know but its how I feel. I don’t want to be a parent Charlie” Scott said

“Then what are we doing together?” Charlie asked after taking a seat at the bottom of the stairs and putting her head in her hands.

“I thought you were fine with not having any more children?” Scott questioned and Charlie looked up at Scott and sighed.

“I am. I have Ruby and she is enough, but you need to accept that she is part of my life” Charlie said and Scott nodded his head.

“I’m trying Charlie but it’s hard, she’s been awful lately” Scott said and Charlie nodded her head.

“I know, but hopefully she’ll change back to her usual self again soon” Charlie said and Scott nodded.

“Well I was thinking we could send her away” Scott said before pausing. Charlie looked up at him with a puzzled expression on her face.

“You what?” Charlie shouted

“There’s this Boarding School that I think will work wonders for Ruby” Scott said and Charlie shook her head.

“I can’t believe you’ve just said that. I am not sending my daughter away” Charlie shouted and Scott shook his head.

“You see I can’t win with you Charlie. You say you want me to help and want my support but then when I give you a suggestion you just blow it off without giving it any thought” Scott yelled.

“Yeah I mean help me to discipline her, have conversations with her and spend time with her. Not try to ship her off to some boarding school” Charlie yelled.

“Yeah well you asked for my help and that’s what I suggest. You don’t want her ending up like you, do you?” Scott spat.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Charlie asked

“Knocked up by 16, because I tell you that’s the way she is heading” Scott said and Charlie shook her head before standing up and running up the stairs.

“Charlie” Scott shouted as he ran up the stairs and along the hall. He almost caught up with her but before he could walk into their bedroom the door slammed shut in his face. He took a deep breath before he went to open the door.

“Just go away” Charlie shouted

“C’mon Charlie, I have to leave for the airport soon, I have that business trip remember” Scott said and then he waited for a reply from Charlie but it didn’t sound like she was going to respond to him. “I’ll be away for a week” Scott said

“Have a good trip then” Charlie shouted

“C’mon Charlie do you really want me leaving when we are like this?” Scott asked but there was no reply. Scott sighed heavily before walking back down the stairs. Ruby sat in her bedroom with a huge grin on her face after hearing all of the argument that Scott and Charlie had just had.

A few hours later and Charlie left her bedroom and headed out. She went into the Surf Club and got herself a drink. Before she had the chance to pay for it she heard a male voice telling Alf he would buy it for her. She looked around and was pleased to see it was Angelo. She thanked him before they walked over to a table and took a seat.

“You look like you really need a drink” Angelo laughed. “The chat with Ruby not go down to well?”

“It wasn’t that bad actually. Well compared to the fight Scott and I just had” Charlie sighed before taking a drink.

“Oh” Angelo said

“So I haven’t had the chance to tell him about you yet. And now he is away on business and won’t be back for a week” Charlie said quietly and Angelo nodded his head. “But I’ve decided, we should tell Ruby tomorrow. The longer we are all living in this town and don’t tell her, the more mad she will be when she does find out” Charlie said.

“Okay great” Angelo smiled. “But what about Scott? Won’t he get angry when he comes back to all this?” Angelo asked.

“I don’t really care what he thinks at the moment” Charlie replied. “But it’s not really about Scott. It’s about Ruby and us” Charlie said and Angelo nodded. They sat in silence for a few minutes before Charlie spoke again.

“What are you doing in here at this time anyways? Don’t you have a small child to look after?” Charlie asked.

“Oh yeah, I just left her to watch a DVD and told her that her diner was in the oven if she was hungry” Angelo said. Charlie laughed before she gave him a quizzical look.

“She’s at Ana’s mothers. Goes there every second Wednesday for the night” Angelo said and Charlie nodded.

“Ana was your wife?” Charlie said tentatively and Angelo nodded before taking a swig of his beer. He didn't say anything else and Charlie didn’t want to push it. She smiled at him before drinking the last of her wine.

“Can I get you another?” She asked as she pointed to Angelo's beer bottle as she stood up.

“Yeah thanks” Angelo said as he looked up at Charlie and smiled.

Thank you so much for the comments. :) I think this is the chapter you have been looking forward too, so I hope it doesnt disappoint. To be honest, I wasnt sure how to write this and dont really feel to pleased about how it turned out. But going to post it anyways. So yeah.....enjoy. :)

Chapter 8

Ruby opened the door to find Angelo standing on the other side. She gestured for him to come into the house before shouting across the room to Charlie.

“Some guy is at the door” Ruby said before she turned around and started to run up the stairs.

“Angelo, hi” Charlie said as she walked across to the door.

“Ruby come here” Charlie said as she looked up at Ruby who was now half way up the stairs. Ruby stopped walking and turned to face Charlie.

“What? Why?” Ruby asked

“Come down here please, we need to speak to you” Charlie said and Ruby sighed before running down the stairs and taking a seat on the chair. Charlie and Angelo looked at each other and both took a deep breath before they sat on the couch.

“Is this about what I did yesterday?” Ruby asked as she looked from Angelo to Charlie. Charlie and Angelo looked at each other before looking at Ruby and shaking their heads.

“No Rubes, it’s not” Charlie said and Ruby breathed a sigh of relief before a look of confusion hit her face. “Well what is it then?” Ruby asked. Charlie looked back round at Angelo and he nodded his head slightly. Charlie looked back round at Ruby and took a deep breath.

“Ruby this is Angelo” Charlie said and Ruby sat there, the expression on her face changing ever so slightly.

“Angelo?” Ruby said before a wave of realisation hit her. “What you mean Angelo as in your Angelo?” Ruby said as she looked at Charlie and Charlie nodded her head.

“Ruby this is your father” Charlie said and Ruby’s mouth opened in shock before she put her hand over it. She sat there speechless for a few minutes and Charlie and Angelo just watched her and waited for a response.

“Is that why you wanted to move here? Because you tracked him down?” Ruby asked and Charlie shook her head.

“No Rubes, I didn’t know he lived here” Charlie said and Ruby nodded.

“So just luck then” Ruby said as she looked up at Angelo smiled at him. She took a deep breath before talking to him.

“Hi” Ruby said as she looked up at Angelo before laughing nervously.

“Hey” Angelo said as he looked at Ruby and smiled.

“So when you met me yesterday did you know who I was?” Ruby asked and Angelo nodded his head.

“So if you knew that my dad was here yesterday then why didn’t you tell me sooner?” Ruby shouted as she turned to face Charlie. Charlie sat there slightly startled at Ruby’s sudden outburst.

“Because there was a lot to talk about Ruby and with your behaviour yesterday it just didn’t feel the right time” Charlie said

“What so just because I got into a spot of bother you think its gives you the right not to tell me that my dad is here?” Ruby shouted and Charlie sighed before rubbing her forehead.

“It was my choice Ruby” Angelo said and Charlie looked round at him and smiled at him.

“Why?” Ruby shouted

“Because I didn’t want that to be our first meeting. I mean would you want the first time you met your dad to be with him almost arresting you?” Angelo said and Ruby sat in silence for a few minutes before shaking her head.

“No, I guess not” Ruby said “Anyways, at least I’ve met you now” Ruby smiled before a wave of embarrassment hit her face. “I’m sorry for speaking to you like that. I acted like a right brat” Ruby said as she looked away from Angelo in shame.

“Well it wasn’t the best first impression I must admit, but let’s hope we can change that” Angelo smiled. “Well assuming you want to get to know me” Angelo said and Ruby looked up at him as she nodded her head.

“Of course I do. It’s all I’ve ever wanted. Isn’t it mum” Ruby said as she turned to face Charlie. Before Charlie even had the chance to reply Ruby started speaking again. “Hey, do you have any other kids?”

“Yeah I have a daughter” Angelo said

“I have a sister” Ruby beamed “What’s her name?” She asked with a huge grin on her face.

“Lucy, she is 4 years old” Angelo said and Ruby let out a scream causing both Angelo and Charlie to get a fright.

“I can’t believe this has finally happened. I have finally met my dad” Ruby smiled and she looked at Angelo before letting out another squeal. Charlie smiled at her daughter as she saw how happy she was. “And I’m not an only Child” Ruby beamed “I have a sister” She said with a smile on her face.

“I would love for you two to meet” Angelo said and Ruby smiled before looking down at her watch.

“I have to get to school” Ruby sighed. “Can I come round to yours later or will you be here or we could go to the Diner for something to eat or we could go for a walk” Ruby said before getting interrupted by Angelo who laughed slightly.

“Yeah we can sort something out” Angelo said and Ruby smiled.

“Well bye then. See you later” Ruby said as walked across the room and out of the house.

“Well that went better than expected. And she has actually voluntarily made her way to school today” Charlie said sounding surprised. “In fact she was rather pleasant last night when I returned home and she even started up a conversation with me this morning” Charlie continued.

“And that’s not normally the case?” Angelo asked and Charlie shook her head.

“Far from it” Charlie said. “These past few months have been hell”

“So what do you think has brought it on?” Angelo asked and Charlie sat there with a puzzled expression of her face as she shook her head.

“I don’t know” Charlie answered.

“Did anything happen to her or to you to make this change happen?” Angelo asked and Charlie sat in silence while trying to think of anything that might make Ruby act out.

“Scott” Charlie said and Angelo made a face looking confused. “He proposed, but I don’t see how me getting engaged would make Ruby’s behaviour change” Charlie said.

“Do Ruby and Scott get on okay?” Angelo asked

“They don’t have the best relationship, no.” Charlie said. “Ruby doesn’t want to accept anyone else as a father and Scott…..well Scott just doesn’t want children so he tries to stay away from that responsibility as much as possible” Charlie said and Angelo nodded his head.

“Can I ask you something Charlie? Angelo asked and Charlie looked up at him and nodded her head.

“If Scott doesn’t want children and I presume cant accept Ruby being a part of his life for that reason, then what are you doing with him?”

“I….I” Charlie said unable to answer this question. “We should get to work” Charlie said as she stood up and avoided Angelo’s question.

Thank you all so much for the comments! :D Here's the next part, I hope you like it...:unsure:

Chapter 9

A week had passed since Ruby found out Angelo was her dad and they had met almost every night since trying to build up a relationship. Charlie had become pleasantly surprised at the change in Ruby’s behaviour and wasn’t sure whether to put it down to Scott’s absence from the house or the fact that she finally knew her dad. Although Ruby still had the tendency to skip school and was still hanging about with Gonk, she had become much more pleasant when speaking to Charlie.

Charlie was in the kitchen when Scott walked into the house.

“Hey, I’m home” he shouted as he walked across the room to where Charlie was standing. He walked up behind her and put his arms around her and attempted to kiss her but before he got the chance to Charlie pulled away and walked away from him.

“You’re still mad at me” Scott said and Charlie just stood there staring at him but not saying a word. Scott sighed before going into his bag and pulling out a box. “I bought you a present” Scott smiled as he walked across to Charlie and tried to give her the box. Charlie hesitantly took it from him and opened it.

“This you’re apology then or are you actually going to say something?” Charlie asked as she looked at the bracelet before shutting the box and throwing it down on the table.

“I was hoping that would work” Scott smiled as he moved closer to Charlie and took her by the waist and pulled her close to him. Charlie smiled and Scott move forward and went to kiss her. Just before their lips met Charlie pulled back and freed herself from Scott’s grasp.

“Thought you would have learned by now that that doesn’t work. You think you can buy me a piece of expensive jewellery and that all is forgotten?” Charlie said as she walked away from the kitchen. Scott sighed as he quickly chased after Charlie. He grabbed her arm and she stopped walking and turned around to face to him. He put his hands on her arms and looked deep into her eyes.

“I’m sorry. I really am and your right, I do need to start showing that I care for Ruby because I do, I really do. What I said was out of line and I didn’t mean to upset you Charlie, it was just said in the heat of the moment and I didn’t mean it” Scott said and Charlie stood there silent for a moment before nodding her head.

“Okay” Charlie said before she walked away from Scott and started to walk up the stairs.

“Okay as in you forgive me?” Scott asked

“Okay as in okay” Charlie said before disappearing from Scott’s view. Scott sighed as he walked back into the kitchen. He knew Charlie was still mad at him and he knew it would take a lot for him to get into her good books again.

Ruby and Gonk were walking along the beach when Angelo and Lucy saw them. Lucy had taken to Ruby straight away and was happy when she saw her.

“Ruby” Lucy shouted as she let go of Angelo’s hand ran along the beach and up to Ruby and gave her a big hug.

“Hey Lucy, how are you?” Ruby said as she bent down to Lucy’s level.

“I’m good. Daddy has just been in the sea with me” Lucy grinned.

“Ah cool, did you have fun?” Ruby asked and Lucy nodded her head as she was still grinning. By this time Angelo had caught up with them and he looked at Ruby and Gonk before looking down at his watch.

“Shouldn’t you be in school?” Angelo said and Ruby looked down at the sand in silence before looking back up at Angelo.

“Guess you wouldn’t believe me if I said it was a free period?” Ruby said and Angelo shook his head.

“Okay, I’m going, I promise” Ruby said before grabbing Gonk’s hand and pulling him away.

“We’re not really going back to school are we?” Gonk asked and Ruby shook head.

“What do you think?” Ruby said

“My place or yours?” Gonk asked and Ruby thought for a few minutes.

“Mines” Ruby said

“You sure your mum is out?” Gonk asked

“Ehm, yeah she is working, I’m sure she is” Ruby said and Gonk nodded his head. They walked for another 10 minutes or so before getting to the house. They walked in and threw their school bags down as they made their way to the kitchen to get a drink before making their way into the living room and taking a seat on the couch.

“What?” Ruby asked she noticed Gonk was staring at her.

“Nothing” Gonk said shyly before looking away.

“C’mon Gonk, what is it?” Ruby asked and Gonk looked back around at her.

“Well I was just thinking what it would be like to kiss you” Gonk said

“Oh” Ruby blushed before moving slightly closer to Gonk. Gonk smiled and leaned in and kissed Ruby softly on the lips. They pulled apart and looked at each other and smiled before they kissed again.

“What the hell is going on here” Scott shouted as he walked down the stairs. Ruby and Gonk quickly pulled apart.

“Scott, I didn’t think you were home till later” Ruby said as she jumped up from the couch.

“Well I am here now. So answer my question” Scott shouted just as Charlie was walking into the house with some shopping.

“What’s going on?” Charlie asked

“This pair where almost at it on the couch” Scott yelled

“Hardly” Ruby shouted. “It was one kiss that’s all” Ruby said as she looked up at Charlie. Charlie sighed heavily before looking up at Gonk.

“Can you go home or to school or something” Charlie said and Gonk quickly grabbed his school bag before running out of the house.

“I know what I saw Charlie” Scott said

“You obviously don’t. It was just one small kiss” Ruby shouted.

“And what makes you think she will believe you” Scott shouted “You’ve been nothing but a little brat lately”

“Scott that’s enough” Charlie shouted

“Mum you believe me don’t you?” Ruby said

“If she’s got no sense she will” Scott retorted. Scott and Ruby started shouting at each other and Charlie sighed feeling stuck in the middle.

“Shut up, the both of you” Charlie shouted. Ruby and Scott both stopped what they were saying and looked round at Charlie who was close to tears.

“I can’t deal with this anymore” Charlie shouted before she ran out of the house got into her car. She felt herself driving to his house, she hadn’t been in the bay for that long and Angelo was really the only other person she knew. She knocked on the door and was relieved to find he was in. Angelo opened the door to a tearful Charlie and showed her into the living room. They sat down on the couch and Angelo asked her what was wrong.

“Ruby and Scott. I can’t do it anymore Angelo”

“What happened?” Angelo asked

“I went home just now and they were arguing about Ruby and that boy” Charlie said and Angelo sighed.

“I just saw them on the beach, she promised me she would go to school” Angelo said

“Well she was at home” Charlie said before sighing.

“This situation isn’t really working” Charlie cried and Angelo put his arm around her held her. After a few minutes she looked up at him and smiled.

“Thanks for just listening Angelo” Charlie said and Angelo smiled.

“No problem” Angelo said before they stared deep into each other’s eyes. Charlie smiled again before leaning close to Angelo and they kissed softly.

Thank you for the comments! :D Here's the next part, hope you like it. :)

Chapter 10

Charlie pulled back from the kiss and looked away from Angelo.

“Sorry, I shouldn’t have done that” Charlie said as she made to stand up. Angelo grabbed her arm and Charlie turned round to face Angelo again.

“Don’t be sorry” Angelo smiled

“No, I shouldn’t have done that” Charlie said as she pulled her arm away freeing herself of Angelo’s grasp. “I’m going to go” Charlie said as she started to make her way to the front door. Angelo stood up and followed her to the door.

“You don’t have to leave Charlie, we can talk some more about things” Angelo said and Charlie shook her head before walking out of the house.

“No, I have to go” Charlie said. Angelo watched her as she walked up to her car and drove away. Charlie went back into her house to find Ruby sitting on the couch.

“Where’s Scott?” Charlie asked and Ruby shrugged her shoulders.

“He stormed out of the house not long after you left” Ruby said. Charlie walked across to the couch and sat next to her daughter. She turned to face her and Ruby looked away for a moment before looking back round at her.

“Where did you go anyways?” Ruby asked

“Eh… I just went for a drive to calm down” Charlie lied and Ruby nodded her head.

“I swear Scott was exaggerating, mum” Ruby said

“Its okay, I believe you Rubes” Charlie smiled as she put her arm around her daughter.

“But Rubes all this with you and Scott it has to stop. It’s not fair putting me in the middle” Charlie said

“Well maybe if he was a nicer person we wouldn’t argue as much. I can’t believe you are still with him” Ruby said “Why are you still with him?” Ruby asked and Charlie looked away from Ruby and down at the floor. She was silent for a few minutes before she looked up at Ruby.

“Because I love him Ruby” Charlie said quietly. “I know it’s not right and we don’t work as a family but I love him and I don’t want to let him go” Charlie said as she started to cry.

“Oh mum” Ruby said as Charlie leaned her head against Ruby’s shoulder as she cried. “I’m sorry, it’s all my fault” Ruby said and Charlie wiped the tears away from her eyes before sitting up and facing Ruby.

“It’s not all your fault Rubes” Charlie said “Scott’s just as bad. Sometimes it’s like I have two teenagers in the house” Charlie said and Ruby laughed.

“But seriously though it is my fault” Ruby said before taking a deep breath. “Mum the reason I’ve been behaving like this lately, it’s because….” Ruby started to speak but stopped talking when Scott walked back into the house.

“Yeah go on” Charlie said as she put Ruby’s hair behind her ear. Ruby looked up at Scott and sighed.

“Never mind” Ruby said as she stood up from the couch. Charlie stood up after her and followed her to the bottom of the stairs.

“Ruby say what you were going to say” Charlie said but Ruby just continued to run up the stairs.

“Just leave it” Ruby shouted before disappearing from view.

Scott walked over to Charlie and put his arm around her but Charlie was quick to shrug him off.

“C’mon Charlie are we going to talk about this?” Scott asked

“Talk about what Scott? About what happened before you went away or about what happened just now or about….” Charlie paused and looked down at the floor. She was silent for a few seconds before she took a deep breath “Or about how this just isn’t working?” Charlie asked as she looked back up at Scott and took at seat at the bottom of the stairs.

“Everything I guess” Scott said quietly as he sat down next to Charlie. Charlie sat in silence for a few minutes before looking up at Scott.

“I think we have been kidding ourselves for a long time now” Charlie said “Or at least I know I have” Charlie looked away from Scott again as she felt a tear rolling down her cheek.

“What are you saying Charlie?” Scott asked trying to stay composed.

“Us Scott, it’s not working” Charlie cried as she looked around at him again.

“Well we have the odd argument but what couple doesn’t?” Scott asked

“C’mon Scott you can’t seriously believe everything is fine between us”

“Well no but we will work through it we always do” Scott said

“Maybe the fact that we keep coming to this is a sign that we can’t” Charlie said and Scott shook his head.

“It’ll work this time I promise” Scott said as he put his arm around Charlie and she hesitated for a second before she leaned into him. He kissed her softly on the head before they sat in silence for a few minutes.

“How can you be so sure?” Charlie asked

“Because me and that girl of yours are going to have a little chat” Scott said before kissing Charlie once more.

Archived