Career Advice

Guest martha-jack

If there is a thread for this please feel free to close.

Ok so as I have left school I've been thinking about what career I want to do and thinking realisticly the only job im interested in at the moment is teaching, I'm currently studying being a teachers assistant, but the more I think about what I want to do I can't see myself doing anything apart from my dream job which is acting, I have been told many times I'm a good actor and it's been my dream job since I can remember I just havn't ever had the confidence to act in front of people especially in drama in secondary school, but since I left my confidence has grew a lot and I can't imagine not acting as a career, the thing is I wouldn't no were to begin, could anyone help me!

Good on you for pursuing a career that is pretty competitive. A lot of people would be put off by how unrealistic it is and I'm happy to hear you're going to go for it! :) If you love it, you should definitely go for it. I can't say I'm familiar with the acting industry but why don't you look into small theatre groups? There might be community productions happening. Are you considering studying at uni? You could apply for an acting course? Uni is also great because there are always student productions happening, especially with student unions. I think a lot of arts industries like music, stage, writing, building connections is great and you'll find a lot of opportunities by word of mouth which is why uni would be great but also by just getting yourself involved in anything you can. Good luck!

thanks so much, that's give me quite a few ideas now, I'm going to have a look around for theatre groups and I'm also going to keep studying for my teacher course just in case, I've thought about going to uni for acting but don't you need to have done drama GCSE or something?

Its a good idea to keep studying the teaching as a back up job. You can always get a job as a teacher/ teaching assistant if acting jobs are scarce [not saying they will be but you never know]. I was a teaching assistant for 10 years and schools/ colleges are crying out for them, so you'll never be without a job. And you can obviously use life experience from the teaching to help your acting: kids are the best people to learn about life from, and they will always tell you things straight.

Its a good idea to keep studying the teaching as a back up job. You can always get a job as a teacher/ teaching assistant if acting jobs are scarce [not saying they will be but you never know]. I was a teaching assistant for 10 years and schools/ colleges are crying out for them, so you'll never be without a job. And you can obviously use life experience from the teaching to help your acting: kids are the best people to learn about life from, and they will always tell you things straight.

Yer the teachers assistant I will keep at as it's something for me to fall back on and not only that I think it really helps with my confidence.

Archived