I'll Be Here For You

Guest Danni02

6 months later

Chapter 31

Charlie looked up at her daughter and a single tear fell down her cheek.

“Don’t start the water works again mum” Ruby said and she gave her a hug

“Sorry, you just look so beautiful. My girl is getting married. I’m allowed to be emotional” Charlie replied

“Champagne anyone?” Martha said as she opened the bottle and started pouring it into the glasses.

“Me me mummy” Olivia shouted and jumped up and down.

“I don’t think so” Martha laughed “It’s for the adults only” She continued as she handed a glass to Ruby, Rachel, Annie, Nicole and Gina and then passed one to Charlie who hesitantly accepted the glass. She put it down on the dresser and then finished doing Ava’s hair for the wedding. Gina walked across to Ruby and gave her a small box.

“I would like you to have this” Gina said.

Ruby opened the box and took out a silver brooch with a small blue sapphire in it.

“It belonged to my grandmother and I intended to pass it on to my daughter, but you’re the closest thing I’ve ever had to a daughter, and I would be honoured if you took it” Gina told her.

“Gina its lovely thank you so much” Ruby said as she gave her mother-in-law to be a hug.

“I’m so please Xavier moved to the bay and met you” Gina said. “You are a lovely girl Ruby”

“Thanks” Ruby smiled as she pinned the brooch onto her dress.

“Ready to become Mrs Austin?” Charlie asked as the wedding cars arrived. She gave her daughter another hug and Ruby took a deep breath.

“Yes, I can’t wait” Ruby replied and they got in the car and made their way to the church.

After a heartfelt ceremony the minister finally uttered the words. ‘I now pronounce you husband and wife, you may kiss the bride’ and Xavier and Ruby kissed. They all walked outside the church and Ruby threw the bouquet and Nicole caught it and glanced quickly at Geoff and smiled.

“Looks like you’re going to be next mate” Xavier said and he patted Geoff on the back.

Charlie was standing at the edge of the dance floor watching Ruby and Xavier dance and watching Ava, Emily, Olivia and Sophie running around the floor in circles. Angelo came up from behind her and put his arms around her and onto her stomach and kissed her neck softly.

“I wish we could tell people about the baby” Angelo said as Charlie turned around and put her arms around her husband’s neck.

“And we will, but just not today. Today is Ruby’s day. We have plenty of time to tell people” Charlie said then she kissed her husband softly on the lips. Ava came running up to them and snuck herself in-between them and they pulled apart.

“Daddy will you dance with me”

“Well I was just about to dance with your mummy”

“No, daddy dance with me”

Angelo looked up at Charlie and she nodded her head and Angelo went to dance with his daughter. Charlie sat down at the table and noticed Ruby coming across to sit with her.

“Hey mum, you alright?”

“Yeah I’m great” Charlie replied

“How about you? You having a good time?” Charlie asked as put her arm around her daughter.

“Yeah the best” Ruby said. “So when where you going to tell me you are pregnant?”

“What makes you think I’m pregnant?”

“Well I got my first clue when I knocked the bin over in the bathroom last night and saw the box. Then you never touched the champagne at the house this morning or when you came in here and you never had anything when we had the meal and Tony just bought you a wine but you put it down on the table and so far haven’t touched a drop.”

“Okay, well yes, I am” Charlie smiled

“Well that’s great news mum, why didn’t you say anything?”

“Because it’s your day Ruby. I don’t want to take anything from it”

“Aw mum” Ruby said then she gave her mother a hug. “Congratulations”

“Yea thanks” Charlie smiled and Angelo and Ava came back to the table and Ava climbed up on to Charlie’s knee.

“I having lots of good fun Ruby” Ava said then let out a big yawn.

“Good, I’m having lots of fun too” Ruby said as Xavier walked across to the table.

“Do you mind if I steal my wife back?” Xavier asked as he took Ruby’s hand and pulled her off the seat.

“No problem” Charlie laughed and Ruby and Xavier left.

“Mummy I’m tired” Ava said and she cuddled into her and within minutes she was sleeping in Charlie’s arms.

The next day and Ruby and Xavier were saying goodbye to everyone as they were going back to the city.

“So he’s not even taking you on a honeymoon?” Gina said as she hugged her new daughter-in-law goodbye.

“No, we can’t afford that, we are poor students” Ruby replied “But I don’t care, I don’t need a honeymoon” Ruby said and gave her husband a quick kiss.

“Well you won’t be wanting this then” Charlie said as she handed Ruby an envelope. Ruby took it from her and looked up at her and Angelo and then to Gina then to Xavier.

“Well open it then” Xavier said. Ruby opened the envelope and screamed.

“Its three weeks in Thailand, Xav. We leave on Tuesday.” Ruby said

“It’s from the 3 of us” Charlie said. “Our wedding present to you” Angelo added

“You already did enough by paying for the wedding” Xavier said. “Thank you so much”

“It’s no problem” Gina said as she gave her son a hug. Ruby gave Ava a hug goodbye then Charlie.

“Ruby get me lots of presents from Thailand” Ava said to her as Ruby was getting in the car.

“Oi cheeky” Ruby laughed “I will think about it” she said then stuck her tongue out at Ava. Charlie, Gina, Angelo and Ava waved them off then Gina went back home to the city.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all so much for reading and commenting this. Im really glad you liked it as it was my first attempt at a fic. This is going to be the last chapter.

Chapter 32

“So are we going to tell people about the baby or what? Ruby’s been on her honeymoon for over a week” Angelo asked

“Yeah sure whatever” Charlie said

“Try and sound at bit more enthusiastic. You know it is good news we are going to be telling people. Or is it?” Angelo asked and Charlie looked down at the floor.

“Yes, it is” Charlie said as she bit her lip

“Charlie what’s wrong?”

“Nothing”

“C’mon Charlie you haven’t shown me one sign to say you are excited about this baby. Don’t you want it anymore?”

“Yes I do, it’s just...” Charlie stopped talking and let out a sigh. She sat down on the bed and rubbed her forehead. “I’m scared we are going to get all excited and tell everyone only for me to lose it again.”

“Charlie, it’ll go fine this time” Angelo said as he sat down next to her and put his arm around her.

“You don’t know that. It’s happened once before, it could happen again”

“Yeah ok it could, but there’s a bigger chance it won’t. Charlie, please just let yourself be excited about this.”

“It’s just, I thought if I didn’t let myself get to excited then I wouldn’t be as upset if I did lose it again”

“Charlie, just let yourself get excited about this. Don’t think you are going to lose it”

Charlie looked down at the floor and was silent for a few minutes. She nodded her head and looked back up at Angelo then she put her hands on her stomach and smiled.

“We’re having a baby” Charlie said and a huge grin appeared on her face and she leapt into Angelo’s arms.

Charlie, Angelo and Ava went round to Morag’s house to tell her about the baby.

“Morag, mummy is giving me a little brother or sister” Ava said as she ran into the house.

Morag looked up at Charlie at smiled.

“That’s great news Charlie.” Morag said as she gave her a hug

“Yeah thanks. We can’t wait” Charlie said with a huge grin on her face and she looked round at Angelo and smiled and he hugged her from behind.

“So how far along are you?” Morag asked as they made their way through the hall and into the living room.

“12 weeks” Charlie smiled

“Well that’s really great Charlie. I’m really pleased for you”

“Yeah thanks” Charlie smiled

“So that’s Ruby almost 2 weeks in already. Have you heard from her?” Morag asked

“No I haven’t but I don’t expect to really” Charlie replied “But she said they will come round to the house when they get back”

“To give me all my presents” Ava said with a big grin on her face then she ran across the room and climbed up onto Charlie’s knee.

“Charlie, we should go. We have a scan to get to” Angelo said as he stood up from the couch. They left Morag’s then went to the hospital.

“Look Ava there’s your little brother or sister” Rachel said

“It looks funny” Ava laughed. “How is it in there and in mummy’s tummy” Ava asked sounding a bit confused.

“It’s only in your mummy’s tummy. This is a special machine that lets us see it” Rachel told her.

“Ah ok” Ava smiled. “How much more longer will the baby in mummy’s tummy for”

“Oh a long time yet Ava. 6 more months”

“I don’t know how more longer that is” Ava said and she jumped down off the seat and ran over and looked out of the window.

“Thanks Rach” Charlie said as she wiped the gel from her stomach and sat up from the bed. Rachel handed her the scans and then they left the room and went back home.

Another week later and Ruby and Xavier had arrived back from their honeymoon and went to see Charlie, Angelo and Ava.

“Ruby” Ava shouted as she got off the seat and ran across to greet her sister.

“Hey Ava” Ruby said as she picked her up and gave her a hug.

“Did you have a good holiday? Ava asked as Ruby put her back down

“Yeah it was amazing” Ruby smiled

“Did you like it Xavier?” Ava asked him as they sat down on the couch

“Yeah was great” Xavier grinned

“So did you buy me anything?” Ava asked with a cheeky grin on her face

“Oh I don’t know. Did we do any shopping Xavier?”

“I don’t remember doing any” Xavier said and Ava looked up at them and folded her arms and scowled. She ran across to Charlie and grabbed onto her leg.

“Mummy Ruby went away on holidays and didn’t even bring me a little thing back”

“Did she not?” Charlie asked

“Here you go Ava. We did buy you something” Ruby laughed and Ava face lit up and she ran across and took the bag with gifts in it.

“Thank you Ruby and Xavier” She said as she gave them both a hug then ran up the stairs to her room.

“So where’s Angelo?” Ruby asked

“He’s working” Charlie replied. “So how was Thailand?”

“It was amazing. We had a great time. Thank you so much mum” Ruby said as she stood up and gave her a hug.

“No problem glad you enjoyed it” Charlie smiled

Five months later

Charlie, Angelo and Ava were having a picnic in the park when the baby started kicking. She put her hand on her stomach and Angelo looked up at her with a worried look on his face.

“What’s wrong? Is it the baby? Do you need to go to the hospital?” Angelo said as he made to get up.

“No Angelo, its fine” Someone just woke up and is now kicking away.

“Let me feel” Ava shouted as she put her hands on Charlie’s stomach. “Oh Ben likes to kick you. Did I kick you mummy?”

“Yes you did, a lot. And why do you keep calling the baby Ben?” Charlie asked after she noticed this wasn’t the first time Ava had referred to the baby as Ben.

“I’m sorry for kicking you mummy” Ava said as she gave Charlie a hug. “And I call him Ben because that’s his name, silly” Ava said with a cheeky grin on her face and then she laughed.

“And who said it was called Ben?” Charlie asked

“Me. I do. I like it.”

“But what if it’s a girl?” Charlie asked and Ava sat there for a few minutes looking deep in thought then a big smile came to her face indicating she had thought of a response.

“It’s a boy. I wished it to be.”

“Oh and why do you want it to be a boy?”

“Boys wear different clothes and have different toys. So my stuff will be safe” Ava said with a big smile on her face. “And daddy will have someone to play footie and boys games with”

“And a son won’t make me wear pink fluffy tiaras” Angelo added with a grin on his face.

“But you have me to make you wear them, silly” Ava said the she gave her dad her hug. Charlie and Angelo looked at each other and laughed.

“Well I wish I could stay but I have to get to work” Angelo said as he got up from the blanket. He gave Charlie and Ava a kiss goodbye then left. Charlie took Ava to the swings for a while before going round to Morag’s house. She wasn’t there 10 minutes when the contractions started. They came on really quickly and Morag drove Charlie to the hospital.

“She’s ready to deliver. She can’t hold of much longer” Rachel told Morag

“It all happened so fast” Morag said “Angelo isn’t far away he should be here any minute”

“Well that’s all very well but I don’t think baby wants to wait for dad to show up. She’s going to have to do this without him” Rachel said and Morag let out a sigh. She walked into the room and took Charlie’s hand.

“Darling, Angelo isn’t here yet, you are going to have to do this without him” Morag said as she took Charlie’s head.

“No he missed Ava’s birth he can’t miss this one too” Charlie said and Morag was about to reply when Angelo came running through the door.

“I won’t. I’m here. I’ve made it” Angelo said as he took hold of Charlie’s hand then they looked up at Rachel.

“Right, let’s have a baby” Rachel said

The next day Charlie woke up and thought about the things she said to Angelo. She was pretty sure she told him she hated him for doing this to her and he was never to come near her again, amongst other things. She was interrupted by her thoughts when Angelo and Ava came into the room. She walked in the door looking all shy and clinging onto Angelo.

“Hey Ava what’s wrong?” Charlie asked

“What if the baby doesn’t like me?” Ava said as Angelo picked her up and put her onto the bed next to Charlie who was holding the baby.

“Of course the baby will like you Ava, you will be a great big sister” Charlie told her then she gave her a hug and a kiss. Ava then looked down and the baby and smiled.

“So is this Ben?” Ava asked and Charlie and Angelo looked up at each other and they both nodded and smiled.

“Yep this is Ben” Charlie said

“I’ve got this teddy for him” Ava said and she gave it to Charlie.

“Oh it’s lovely, he will love it Ava” Charlie said then she looked up at Angelo and smiled.

“Angelo I’m sorry for what I said yesterday. I didn’t mean it” Charlie said and Angelo laughed.

“I know its fine” he said and he kissed her on the forehead.

3 years later

Charlie was trying to cleaning up the mess the kids left in the living room but Ben was doing a good job of undoing the tidying she was doing. The door bell rang and Ruby walked into the house.

“Hey mum, how are you?”

“Yea I’m fine how are you?

“Yeah I’m good” Ruby smiled. “Where are Angelo and Ava?”

“At Ava’s swimming lesson. So it’s not like you to visit through the week. What brings you here?”

“Just thought I would come and visit my mum and my little brother and sister." Ruby said as she walked over to where Ben was playing and gave him a hug and a kiss.

“Ruby yucky. No kisses” Ben said as he wiped the kiss away and ran to the other side of the room. Ruby and Charlie laughed then went through to the kitchen.

“So can I get you a coffee or anything?”

“Just a juice is fine” Ruby said as she opened the cupboard and took out a cup.

“I wouldn’t use that cup” Charlie said

“Why not it’s just a cup” Ruby laughed

“It’s Ava’s special cup. If she notices it’s been moved she will go mad at you. So I wouldn’t use it if I were you” Charlie laughed. Ruby put the cup back and took out another one and poured herself a juice.

“So what’s been going on? How’s Xavier? Any news? Charlie asked.

“Well yes actually I do have some news” Ruby smiled. “You’re going to be a grandmother”

Comments

Archived