A Much Needed Holiday

Guest Red Ranger 1

CHAPTER 11

“Mum, I’m thirsty,”Mark complained.

Fin sighed.She had spent over an hour waiting for her oldest son to wake up and it felt like an eternity.The last thing she needed was Mark choosing that moment to act up.“Mark, you know we can’t go anywhere.”

“But I’m going to die of thirst.”

“We need to be here when Paul wakes up.”Fin glanced at the nurse who was checking Paul’s monitors, as if looking for support.

The nurse gave a sympathetic smile.“I don’t think he’s going to wake up for a while.Why don’t I keep an eye on him while you go get a drink?”

Fin nodded at her gratefully.“Okay, but…call me if anything changes.”She put her arm round Mark and led him out into the corridor.She was just in time to see a trolley being wheeled out of sight round the corner.Trailing behind it were Irene, Jai, Annie and a boy that she didn’t know but if the description was right…“Is that him?”she demanded, stepping towards the group.She fixed her gaze on the boy.“How dare you..?”

To her shock, Irene stepped into her path.“Annie, Jai, you go with Adam.I’ll sort things out here.”

Fin waited until the three teenagers had followed the trolley round the corner before turning on her mother.“What are you doing?What he’s done to Paul…”

“I know and I’m furious as well,”Irene agreed,“But his mother’s just died.”

Fin shook her head, trying to understand what Irene had just told her.“What and since then he’s been hanging around building sites?”

“No, love, not ‘just died’ as in within the last few weeks, ‘just died’ as in they’re wheeling her body into the mortuary right now.”

Fin stared after the group in astonishment.Despite the injuries her son was still recovering from, she wouldn’t have wished what had happened to Adam on any boy.Telling him off suddenly didn’t seem very important.

“How’s Paul?”Irene asked.

“I…I should be getting back to him.”

“Course, love, I understand.”Irene nodded towards Mark, who had been hovering behind Fin, uncertain what was going on.“How about I take this little tyke off your hands for a bit?”

“Yeah, thanks, Mum.”Fin gave Irene’s arm a grateful pat before heading back to Paul’s room.

“I was just about to call you,”the nurse remarked as she came in.

Fin rushed to Paul’s side, seeing with relief his eyes opening and focusing on her.“Mum?”he asked.

Fin grasped his hand, stroking his hair with her other hand.“It’s okay, sweetheart, I’m here.You’re fine.”

“Mum…I’m sorry…I’ll try and be good from now on.I’ll try and be like Mark.”

Fin didn’t understand the remark.“Well, not that there’s anything wrong with Mark but what’s wrong with being you?”

“I know…I know I’m not your son like he is.”

“Hey, where’s all this coming from?”

“Well, you didn’t have me, Nan did, so…”

Fin felt a wave of guilt hitting her as she realised what sort of effect she’d had on her son.“Oh, sweetheart! If you knew what we went through to have you, how far we went…Your dad and I wanted you so so much. I love both you and Mark more than you can imagine.I know things haven’t been good at home recently and I’m sorry if that’s affected you.But I promise, from now on, things are going to be different.”

“She was diagnosed about six months ago,”Adam explained.He sat outside the mortuary, Jai and Annie on either side of him.He really did seem different to the boy they’d know the past few days and both of them were beginning to realise they were seeing the real Adam for the first time.“Cancer.”

“Did you know then…”-Annie searched for a delicate way of putting it-“…how bad it was?”

“We knew they couldn’t operate.She was all right at first, you couldn’t tell there was anything wrong with her.But then she just got weaker and weaker.She couldn’t even leave the house.Then she couldn’t even go upstairs.Then she couldn’t even get out of bed.”

“Were you looking after her on your own?”Jai asked.

Adam shook his head.“She had a carer but she wasn’t there all the time.I’m sorry I ran off like that but I couldn’t be late.She’d have been on her own.If I’d stayed…I wouldn’t have been there.”

“What about your dad?”Annie asked.

“He died as well.Two years ago.Heart attack.He just dropped dead one day.At least this time we knew it was coming.”He sighed.“I’m sorry I caused all that trouble for you and I’m sorry Paul got hurt.I guess, knowing I was going to lose them both while I was completely fine…I just thought I was indestructible or something.”

Jai started at the word, suddenly realising who Adam’s behaviour had reminded him of.Himself, when he’d first come to the Bay.All the crazy things he’d done back then, the time he’d put Annie in danger up on the school roof, all because it was better than coping.“I get that,”he admitted.

“But…if your mum and dad are both gone, who’s looking after you?”Annie asked.

Adam shrugged.“I’ve got no-one.”

“Well, you’ve got us,”Annie told him, taking his hand, as Jai laid a hand on his other arm.

She hadn’t expected it to be much comfort.So she was pleased when he smiled.

Thanks for the comment.

CHAPTER 12

Irene was relieved to see Fin and Paul happy and smiling when she brought Mark back into the room.Given how tense things had been between them, she’d been worried that they might not have been able to patch up their differences.“Good to see you two getting along again.”

Fin patted Paul’s hand, a smile on her face.“I think we understand each other better now.”

“Well, er, how about we leave these two to catch up?I think there’s a few things we need to talk about.”

Fin nodded, understanding her meeting.She kissed Paul on the forehead, ignoring his grimace.“See you soon.”She gave Mark’s shoulder a reassuring squeeze before following Irene out the room.

Mark stood there a moment, giving Paul a curious look.“Did you really think Mum and Dad liked me better because Mum gave birth to me?”

Paul looked at him sharply.“Who told you that?”

“I overheard what you said to her.”

Paul shrugged.“Well, come on, you know you get treated better.Remember when you broke Dad’s shaving mirror?He didn’t tell you off because you were only a little boy and didn’t know better.If I’d have done that, he’d have shouted at me.”

“I get treated better?Come on.You remember when we wanted to see that film on TV?You got to stay up and I had to go to bed because it was too late for me.”

Paul paused, looking at him.“You really think that?”

“Yeah, course.Why?”

Paul shook his head in bewilderment.All this time he thought he’d known what his family was like but now…“Well, if we both think the other one gets treated better…maybe we get treated the same.”

One of the receptionists had arrived with some paperwork for Adam to help fill in.Jai and Annie had taken the opportunity to take their leave of him for a while.Jai glanced back into the room, seeing Adam occupied in answering her questions, then quietly pulled the door to.

Annie gave him an enthusiastic hug when he turned round.“I’m really proud of you.”

“Um, thanks,”Jai replied as he disentangled himself slightly,“Why?”

“Well, I know you don’t like Adam that much but the way you’ve been really nice to him, it’s good.”

Jai shrugged.“We both know what it’s like to lose your parents.I feel sorry for the guy.”

Irene and Fin came down the corridor.“How is he?”Irene asked.

Jai nodded back into the room.“He’s just answering some questions.”

“Irene, he doesn’t have anyone,”Annie blurted out.

Irene looked slightly bewildered.“What do you mean?”

“His dad’s dead as well,”Jai explained.

“But surely he must have someone, a grandparent or an aunt or uncle or something?”

Annie shrugged.“He said there was no-one.”

“Love, I’m sure he’s exaggerating.”

“But what if he isn’t?What’s going to happen to him?”

“I’m sure Human Services will find him somewhere to stay,”Fin replied reassuringly.

“He might end up in a children’s home like I did,”Jai pointed out.

“Can he stay with us?”Annie asked.

“Love, you know we don’t have the room,”Irene reminded her.

“Well, I could give Miles and Kirsty a call,”Jai suggested,“We’ve got the room.”

“Hold your horses, folks.We don’t know what Adam’s situation is or what he wants.Maybe we should have a talk to him before we start making any phone calls, hey?”

Fin looked at the three of them as though they’d gone mad.“Hang on, how come we’re suddenly the ones trying to sort out his life?We barely know him.”

“I know that, love,”Irene told her,“But he’s here and he needs some help.And that means we can’t abandon him.”

Slowly, Fin’s mouth twitched into an understanding smile.“The old Summer Bay mentality, hey?I think I’ve missed that.”

Thanks to everyone who's read or commented on this.This is the last chapter, hope you enjoy it.

CHAPTER 13

Irene and Fin were standing at the window, watching the group of youngsters gathered outside the cottage. “It’s not too late to change your mind, you know,”Irene commented.

“I think it is,”Fin replied,“Paul and Mark are quite keen on the idea of having a new big brother.I don’t think they’d forgive me.”

“And you’re sure Barry’s all right with it?”

“I told you, I spoke to him on the phone and he’s fine.And Adam likes the idea as well.And we’ve all been getting on well here this last week, haven’t we?”

“Fin, a week ago you were telling me your business was going bust and you and your husband were arguing all the time.You really think another mouth to feed is the best thing for you?”

“I think the old Summer Bay mentality is the best thing for us.Adam needs somewhere to live and we’re giving him that.Where would Annie have been if you hadn’t taken her in?Where would Damian and I have been if Michael and Pippa hadn’t taken us in?Maybe helping him is the best way to remind ourselves what’s really important.”

Irene smiled at her.“You know what, love?I think you’re going to do a grand job.”

“Guess I had the advantage of two mums giving me a good example.”Fin sighed.“I’m sorry for some of the things I’ve said lately, Mum.Maybe…maybe part of me is still bitter about the way things were when we were growing up.But I hope you know that I am really proud of the way you’ve turned yourself around. The way you’ve helped Annie and all the others.It’s taken me a while but I am really glad that you’re my mother.”

Irene touched her face gently.“Love, you have no idea how much it means to me to hear you say that.”She hugged her tightly.“Oh, we really need to see each other more often.”

“I’d like that.”

The five of them were grouped around the car-Jai, Annie, Adam, Paul and Mark.Paul’s arm was still in a sling but otherwise he’d recovered from his ordeal.“I wish you didn’t have to go,”he commented.

“I know,”Annie sighed,“But there’s a lot of people back home that I’ve been missing so it’ll be good to see them again.”

“But are we going to see you again?”Mark asked.

“You’d better,”she replied, giving the younger boy a hug.

“So where’s this place you’re going to?”Adam asked,“Summer Bay?”

Jai nodded.“It’s a pretty strange place when you first get there but after a while you kind of like the fact that everyone looks out for each other.”

Adam glanced at Annie.“Well I can think of a few people I’d like to look out for,”he remarked, with a trace of his old attitude.

Annie linked her arm with Jai’s.“Thank you but…I know who I want looking out for me.”

“Fair enough.And, um, I’m sorry about all the trouble I caused.And I’m glad you all came to the funeral.”

“Us too,”Annie agreed.

“You’ll have to come and visit us sometime,”Jai suggested,“Just stay away from building sites, huh?”

Adam grinned sheepishly.“Yeah, I’ll try and remember that.”

Paul and Mark both took hold of Adam’s arms territorially.“First you’re coming back to the city with us,” Paul told him.

“Yeah,”Mark added,“We’ve got lots of things to show you.”

Adam nodded, looking around with mixed feelings.“It’s gonna feel strange leaving this place.”

“A fresh start can be a good things sometimes,”Jai told him,“Trust me.”

“I will.”Adam shook hands with him and kissed Annie on the cheek.“What?”he asked as Jai glared at him, “Can’t blame me for giving it one last try.”

“Right, you two,”Irene announced as she and Fin came out of the house,“In the car.We need to get home to make sure the house hasn’t burnt down and the Diner hasn’t gone bust.”

“I think they’ll have managed without you for a bit,”Annie suggested.

“Oh, think I’m that dispensable, do you?Car.”Irene shooed them both into the vehicle before turning and hugging Fin.“Don’t be a stranger, you hear me, girl?”

“Promise.”

She hugged Paul, Mark and Adam in turn.“See you all soon.”

“Sure thing, Nan,”Adam agreed.

Irene glared at him.“Tell you what, love, how about you promise never to call me that again?”

“Sorry, Mrs.Roberts.”

With a last wave, Irene got into the car.Glancing in her rear view mirror, she realised that Annie and Jai had managed to make it onto the back seat together this time.“Um, do you want me to move?”Annie asked, noticing her look.

Irene sighed.“Tell you what, love, you just stay as sweet as you are.”She started the engine.“Righto, next stop Summer Bay.At least we know there aren’t going to be any dramas there, hey?”

Comments

Archived