The Happiest Day of Your Lives

Guest Red Ranger 1

CHAPTER 11

“Are you ashamed of me?”Nicole asked, once she’d finished talking.

Roman shook his head.“No, Nic, I’m not ashamed of you.If anything, I’m ashamed of myself.”

That definitely surprised her.“What have you got to be ashamed of?”

“I’m your father, I’m supposed to know you.But you’ve had all this stuff going on in your life and I’ve known nothing about it.”

“Well, that’s not really your fault.We were keeping it a secret after all.”

“And…I know it’s wrong of me but I can’t help wishing that you’d felt you could come to me with your problems instead of Aden.”

“I…I would but…somehow Aden just seemed to understand, about what I’d been through.”

For a moment, Roman had a strange look, as though he was thinking of something.“Yeah, I guess he would.”

“And it wasn’t just to have someone to support me, I liked spending time with him.I…I liked him, Dad.” There were tears rolling down her cheeks now.“I really liked him.”

He placed a hand under her chin, tilting her head up so she met his gaze.“It sounds like I’ve got a lot to thank Aden for.”Then he hugged her tightly, as she sobbed silently.

“I miss him, Dad.I really, really miss him.”

“I know, Nic.I miss him too.”

“When’s Daddy coming home?”

It wasn’t the first time James had asked the question but still Melody had no answer for him.He should have been tucked up in bed in his own room by that time but instead Melody had brought him into their room, sitting on the bed with him.“I don’t know, James.Soon, I hope.”

“So he’s not gone away forever then?Like Uncle Aden?”

Given the amount of time James had spent with Aden and Danielle, Melody had felt she needed to explain what had happened to him.James hadn’t really understood and Geoff’s absence just seemed to be confusing him further.“No, James, Daddy’s not gone away forever.He’ll be back some time.”

“But when?”

“I don’t know!I wish I did but I don’t!”Melody saw James’ hurt and tearful face and immediately regretted her outburst.She hugged her son to her.“Oh, I’m sorry, James, Mummy didn’t mean it.It’s just…I want him home too.”

“So when’s he coming home?”

Melody released him slightly so she could look him in the face.“Look, Daddy’s helping the policemen to find out how…to find out why Uncle Aden’s gone away forever.And as soon as they find out, he can come home.But we don’t know how long that will be.Do you understand?”

She didn’t think he did, not really.But he nodded anyway.

“I just hope it’s soon.”

Axel knocked cautiously on the front door of the beach house and was surprised when Jai answered it.Jai glanced quickly back into the room before speaking in a quiet voice.“Axel, what are you doing here?”

“I…I guess I just wanted to see if Melody was okay.”

“She’s in her room with James.He can’t understand where Geoff’s gone.”

“Can I come in and see them?”

“I don’t think that’d be a good idea.”

“Come on, Jai, I’m not gonna do anything…”

Jai sighed.“Look, Axel, I’ve got nothing against you, I know you’re sorry for what you did.But if you come in here, you’re gonna upset Annie and you’re gonna upset Melody.And they’ve got to be my priority right now, okay?”

Axel smiled ruefully.“You’re a good friend, Jai.I could probably have done with a friend like you.”

“So you’re gonna go?”

“Yeah, I’m gonna go.You gonna tell them I was here?”

“Do you really think that’s a good idea?”

“No, probably not.But if you think there’s anything I can do to help, just give me a call.”

Irene came into the bedroom to find Melody laying on the bed, a hand gently resting on James’ shoulder. The boy had fallen asleep.“Looks like someone’s ready for bed,”she commented.

“Actually, I was going to keep him in with me tonight,”Melody replied,“I don’t think he wants to be alone.”

Irene sat down on the bed, brushing a hair away from Melody’s face.“Maybe it’s not him that doesn’t want that.Huh?”

“I guess I’m out of practise.”

“Gawd, love, it’s been a while since I’ve seen you looking this beat up.”

“It’s been a long while since I haven’t had Geoff.Why are they doing this, Irene?Why are they keeping him locked up?”

“I guess they’ve got to go on the evidence they’ve got.Things’ll work out right eventually, just you see.”

“Will they, though?Because things aren’t always all right.Look at Aden.I know he could be nasty sometimes but…after I was attacked he was really nice to me.He didn’t deserve to die like that.And what about Mum?Dying in a nursing home because she couldn’t handle the fact I’d been raped.”

Irene remembered the phone call, nearly two years previous.“Love, your mum had pneumonia.It had nothing to do with what happened to you.”

“Come on, Irene, you know what the doctors said.Normally she should have been able to fight off something like that.She just gave up.”

Irene changed tack.“You’re right.She just gave up.But you didn’t, Melody.Remember?You fought against everything that had happened to you and you beat it.You and Geoff, you’re a lot stronger than you look. And whatever happens, you will both get through this, one way or another.And you’ll have a lot of people here to help you.”

“But I don’t want to get through this.I want it to be over, I want Geoff to be home with us.And I feel so bad for thinking it because I know it must be a lot worse for Danielle and Roman and Nicole because Aden’s gone for good and at least I’m going to see Geoff again but I want him back, Irene.I just want him back.”

Irene couldn’t think of anything else to say.So she just lent forward and placed a hand on Melody’s shoulder, the same way that hers was resting on James’.

“How is she?”Annie asked when Irene came back through.

“She’s asleep now, poor love,”Irene replied,“And how are you feeling?You must be missing Geoff too?”

Annie gave one of her facial shrugs.“A bit.But I mean, it won’t be for long, will it?They’ll realise they’ve made a mistake soon.”

Irene touched her on the arm.Sometimes it was best just to let her believe things.“Course he will, love.” She glanced around for somewhere to sit:with Jai, Mattie and Belle all having popped round, the front room was rather crowded.Eventually she settled for dragging a chair across from the table and sitting in that.

“Just so we’re all sure about this,”Matilda put in,“Geoff’s innocent, right?”

Irene shot her a fierce look.“Of course he is.”

“So, what are we saying happened?Did someone else do it?”

“Well, who?”Belle asked.

“Geoff seemed to think it was Axel,”Annie pointed out.

Jai shook his head.“I don’t think so.Anyway, Danielle said he was with her all evening.Are we saying she’s lying?”

“Could it be suicide?”Matilda suggested.

“Aden doesn’t really seem the suicidal type,”Belle replied.She corrected herself.“Didn’t, I mean.”

“Maybe it was all an accident?”Annie wondered,“I mean, Aden didn’t have any injuries apart from the fall and the fight with Geoff.Maybe he went out for a walk, slipped and fell.”

“Yeah, maybe, love,”Irene responded.But she didn’t seem convinced.“Anyway, it’s getting a bit late to be sat here playing Agatha Christie.You three need to be getting off.”

Annie gripped Jai’s hand, as if it was a security blanket.“Please, Irene, can’t Jai stay with me tonight?I just…I don’t want to be alone.”

“Mmm.There’s a lot of it about.”Irene glanced at Jai and nodded towards Belle and Mattie.“Aren’t you supposed to be walking these two home?”

“It’s all right, Irene,”Matilda replied, taking her phone out,“I can call Ric, get him to pick us up outside.”

“Hmm.Okay, scoot, the pair of you, before I change my mind.”Irene watched Annie and Jai head upstairs before turning to Mattie and Belle, who were on their way to the door.“And I suppose you two are going home to your young men as well?”They nodded.“Mmm.If you happen to come across anyone who feels like keeping me company at night, feel free to give me their number, okay?”

CHAPTER 12

Nicole felt Annie’s arm in hers as she walked, making every step last as long as possible in order to delay their arrival.“We don’t have to do this if you don’t want to,”Annie told her.

“No, I want to.At least, part of me wants to.The other part just wants to run away and pretend it never happened.”

They took a few more steps and then they were along the coastal path to the spot where Aden had fallen. Nicole didn’t know what she’d been expecting to find, some sign of disturbance, some indication that there was something important about this spot, that something monumental had happened here.There was none of that.It was just an ordinary cliff path.The one thing she hadn’t expected to see, and did, was Danielle, standing there, looking out towards the distant sea.

“Maybe we should do this another time,”Annie suggested quietly.But then Danielle turned and saw them. The two friends started walking again, going over to join her.“How have you been?”Annie asked.

Danielle shrugged.“Just sort of numb.There’s just been so much going on recently.I can’t really believe that it happened.”

“If you want to be on your own,”Nicole began.

“No, I know it must be hard on you too.Knowing how close you were to him.”

Nicole couldn’t meet her gaze, afraid doing so would reveal just how close she and Aden had been.“Yeah. I guess so.”

“The worst thing is that last time we spoke.The fact that we argued, that I said all those things to him.I was angry with him, so angry for what he’d done but if I’d known what was going to happen…I just can’t stand the fact that he died thinking I hated him.Because I loved him.I really did.”

“You were together for a long time,”Annie reminded her,“He probably knew how you felt.”

“I hope so.I really hope so.”She seemed lost in thought for a moment, then hugged herself slightly.“I’ll leave you to say your goodbyes.”

Nicole waited until Danielle had gone before turning to Annie.“You see?This is as bad for her as it is for me.How can I tell her, tell anyone, how things really were with Aden?It’d destroy her.”

“But if no-one knows, they can’t help you.”

“You know, Roman knows.”She nodded decisively.“That’ll be enough.”

“Sorry, mate, we tried to smuggle some beer in but the guard wouldn’t let us,”Ric commented as he sat down opposite Geoff.

“Nice cell,”Lucas contributed,“Could do with some decorating though.”

Geoff sighed.“Look, guys, it’s nice of you to come but I’m really not in the mood.”

“Okay, the jokes were a bit lame,”Ric apologised,“It’s a male thing, okay?Defence mechanism.If you want, we’ll just sit here silently.”

Lucas glanced sideways at Jack, who was standing to attention by the door.“Do you have to do that?”

“I told you, regulations say an officer has to be present at all visits.”

“Yeah but do the regulations say that the officer isn’t allowed to sit down and join in the conversation?”

Jack smiled slightly and came to sit with them.“Not specifically.”

“What are my chances, Jack?”Geoff asked him.

“Well, any evidence against you is purely circumstantial.There’s nothing to place you at the scene when Aden fell for a start.And I know it might not look like it but we are still digging.”

“But?”

“But in the absence of any more likely suspects, they might decide to prosecute anyway.But with a decent lawyer, you’d probably be found not guilty.”

“So he could be out soon?”Lucas asked.There was no answer.“Jack?”

Jack looked at Geoff.“Because you broke police bail, it’s almost certain that a court would rule you’d have to stay in custody until the trial, which would probably be several weeks away.And once you’re charged, we’d have no authority to keep you here.”

“You mean I’d go to jail?”Geoff lent back, sighing heavily.“If only I’d stayed away from Axel, if I hadn’t gone off at him…”

“Mate, no-one’s going to blame you for that,”Ric reassured him,“This guy tried to rape Mattie once and, trust me, I went psycho on him, far worse than you did.”

“What happened to him?”

“You know, I never found out.I like to think he got what was coming to him in the end though.”

Geoff looked at Jack.“Have you checked Axel out?About Aden’s death?”

“He’s got an alibi and there’s nothing to suggest he was involved.Plus he’d only just got out of hospital at the time.According to Rachel, he was still pretty weak and concussed.It doesn’t seem likely that he’d be able to go out and take Aden on.”

“Do you really think he did it?”Lucas asked Geoff.

Geoff shook his head wearily.“I don’t know what to think anymore.All I know is I didn’t do it, I’m in here and I don’t know how I’m going to get out.”

“Do you two want me to go?”

Annie and Nicole turned at the voice.Axel was standing there, keeping his distance from them.He looked nervous and uncomfortable.Looking at him, Nicole realised that she wasn’t frightened of him anymore.It was as if Aden’s death had overwhelmed her system so much she couldn’t feel anything else.“It’s a free country,”she said at last.

“What are you doing here?”Annie asked.

“Same as you two, I guess.Paying my respects to Aden.”

“He hated you.”

“Yeah but…we were friends for a long time.And he was good to Danielle.”He glanced at Nicole.“I’m not going to tell her, Nic…Nicole.About…you know.”

Annie looked at Nicole, bewildered.“He knows?I thought you said you’d only told me and Roman.”

“I didn’t tell him, he just found out.”

Annie turned back to Axel.“So, you found out Aden was cheating on his sister and now he’s dead?And that’s a coincidence?”

“I didn’t kill Aden!And I don’t think Geoff did either.”

Nicole regarded him for a moment before turning to Annie.“I believe him.Stay as long as you like, Axel.” She turned away, staring back out to sea.

Annie walked a short way away from Nicole, so she could talk quietly to Axel.“Why are you here, Axel? Not just on this spot, in this town.Haven’t you done enough damage?”

“That’s why I came back.To try and undo some of that damage, to see everyone I’d hurt getting on with their lives.I was glad that Melody was happy.”

“Well she’s not now, is she?With Geoff gone?”

“I know.And that’s why I want this sorted.Believe me, Annie, I want the police to find out what happened to Aden as much as you do.”

Thanks for the continued words of encouragement.I was going to post this one tomorrow because I'm not sure how much time I'll have to do anything over the weekend but it's finished so you can have it now.Hope you enjoy.

CHAPTER 13

Axel was still pondering his conversation with Annie as he headed out into the back yard.Try as he might, he couldn’t work out what had happened to Aden.Putting the matter aside for a moment, he lifted the lid on the bin.It was nearly full, the collection being due later that day.He was about to drag the bin out the front when he noticed something that piqued his interest.

It was a pair of shoes.They obviously weren’t his style which made it a fair bet they were Danielle’s.In fact, he was sure he’d seen her wearing them recently.He lifted them out and examined them.They were caked in mud but it could be brushed off easily and other than they seemed in good condition.So why had Danielle thrown them out?

Then he remembered something else he’d seen, earlier that day.Oh no…

Geoff and Melody had graduated from his cell to the interview room for her visit.Charlie was standing over by the wall, trying to give them as much privacy as regulations allowed.“How’s James?”Geoff asked.

“Missing you,”Melody replied,“Like we all are.I was thinking, if you’re in here much longer, maybe I should bring him in to see you?”

Geoff shook his head.“I don’t want him seeing me in here.”

“You can’t cut yourself off from us, Geoff!”

“I’m not going to.I mean, this is only temporary, right?Be back to normal soon?”He wasn’t sure if he was trying to convince her or himself.

“Back to normal?Geoff, if things were normal, we’d be getting married in five days.Instead you’re locked up in here and our son is asking me questions that I don’t know the answer to!”

Geoff brushed a tear away from her face.“Hey.None of that.It’ll be all right.”

“Will it?I thought we’d finally got it, Geoff.I thought this was our time, our moment to show everyone how happy we are together.Instead…instead I don’t think I’ve ever felt more miserable in my life.I’ve lost nearly everything else in my life, Geoff, I don’t think I could stand losing you too.”

“You’re not going to lose me,”he told her,“Ever.Whether I’m in here for days, weeks, months, years, as soon as I get out I’ll be coming home to you and to James.This isn’t going to be the end.”

She looked at him and nodded.“I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Reluctantly, Charlie stepped forward.“Er, guys, visiting time’s nearly up.You can come back tomorrow.”

Geoff and Melody got to their feet and hugged.Then she left.Leaving him behind.

Axel sat in the living room, the shoes on the table in front of him.He heard the front door bang, signalling Danielle’s return, and waited for her to come into the room before gesturing to them.“Found these in the bin.”

Danielle shrugged, trying to look nonchalant.“Yeah, they’re mine.I threw them out.”

“Why?”

“Just fancied a chance.”

“They’re muddy.I was up on the cliff path earlier, where Aden fell.There’s a lot of mud there.Did you throw them out so no-one would recognise your footprints?”

Danielle was looking nervous now, unable to look him in the eye.“What are you talking about..?”

“Why did you tell the police you were here with me all night?You went out for about an hour and a half, just after ten.”

“I…I knew no-one would believe you if you were alone.”

“Were you giving me an alibi or yourself one?Danielle.Where did you go?”

She turned to face him and he knew from her expression that she was going to tell the truth, even if he didn’t want to hear it.“I went to Aden’s.”

Axel didn’t say anything.He didn’t know precisely what was coming but he knew how it was going to end.He watched as she slumped down into a chair, seeming physically and mentally exhausted, and waited for her to continue.

“I felt bad about the way I’d spoken to him.I wanted to apologise.I knocked on the door but…I guess they didn’t hear me.”

Axel had a sinking feeling.“They?”

Danielle nodded.“I wasn’t sure if Aden was home or not so I decided to let myself in.”She smiled, a smile with more than a twinge of sadness.“Everyone knows where Aden keeps the spare key.I could hear their voices coming from the bedroom.Aden and…and Nicole.The door wasn’t quite shut so I could sneak over and I…I saw them in bed together.But it was more than that.He was talking to her, the way he’d never talk to me, telling her how scared he was of going to jail.And she was reassuring him.They…they looked like a couple, a proper couple.”

Axel wondered if perhaps, if he’d told Danielle when he first found out about Aden and Nicole, it could all have been avoided.“What did you do?”

“I just got out of there.I don’t think they even noticed me.I went downstairs and I waited until Nicole had left then I rang Aden and asked him to meet me…on the coastal path.”She swallowed hard.“I suppose it was about twenty minutes later that he turned up.I told him what I’d seen, that I knew about him and Nicole.I asked him how long it had been going on for.He told me two years.And you know the worst part?I think he was actually sorry.He told me that he’d never meant to hurt me, that he cared about me, that I didn’t know how important our relationship had been to him.I didn’t want to hear any of that, didn’t want him to be nice.I told him I hated him, that I never wanted to see him again.I went to storm off but he took hold of my arm, asked me to let him explain.I didn’t want him to touch me so I pushed him.I pushed him away from me.”She held Axel’s gaze.“I didn’t realise he was that near the edge.Suddenly…he was falling, falling backwards, I tried to grab hold of him but he went over.And down.Right down.I knew there was no way he could survive so I just left.Came back here.Tried to…forget it had ever happened.”

Axel breathed hard.“Danielle, we’ve got to go to the police, tell them what happened.It was an accident, they’ll understand that.”

“But I still killed him, Axel.They’ll still charge me.If not with murder, then with something else.”

“We need to tell them the truth.”

“Don’t give me that, Axel.How many months did it take for you to own up to what you did?”

“No-one else got into trouble for what I did!Danielle, Geoff’s in a cell because of this.”

“They might let him go…”

“And they might not.I’m not going to let anything else happen that’s going to hurt Melody.”

“Dammit, Axel!”Danielle looked at him angrily.“It’s always about them, isn’t it?That’s all I’ve heard these past three and a half years.Poor Melody.Poor Nicole.What about us, Axel?What about your family? We were victims in this too.You went to jail and we were left out here.To face all the gossiping and the pointing and whispering.Mum and Dad left town because they couldn’t handle it and I was left on my own. The sister of a rapist.The only person that stood by me was Aden.But he never loved me.Not really.He loved that skank Nicole but he never loved me.I was pregnant once.”

Axel was stunned by that.“I didn’t know.”

“Three years ago.I never told anyone but Aden.I miscarried at two months.He made all the right noises, said how sorry he was, how maybe one day it would happen for us when the time was right.But I could tell a part of him was relieved, that he wasn’t tied to me.”

Axel looked down.“I’m sorry, Danielle.You’re right.I never really have felt about what it was like for you. I’ll go to the police in the morning, tell them I pushed Aden.Tell them I found out about him and Nicole and met him to confront him about it.He got angry and I thought he was going to attack me again, so I pushed him away and he fell.”

“Axel, no, you’re still out on parole.They’ll put you back inside for sure.”

“People already know about me, this won’t make them think any worse.This way I can protect both you and Melody.Be the brother I should have been all along.”

Axel pushed open the police station door, remembering the last time he’d confessed to something there, when he’d been brought there after attacking Nicole and had finally admitted what he’d done to her and Melody.He saw Jack on duty behind the desk and went over to him.“I need to make a statement.”

But before he could say anything else, the door to the interview room swung open and two constables emerged escorting a prisoner.Danielle.Axel was stunned.He’d thought he’d left her back at the house, thought she was still in bed.He hadn’t realised she’d gone out before him.She gave him a look that was scared but perhaps, despite everything, a little proud.“I’m sorry,”she told him.

“Take her down to the cells,”Jack told the two constables,“I’ll notify HQ.”

“What…what’s going on?”Axel asked, as Danielle was led out.

“Your sister turned up here first thing.Said she pushed Aden off the cliff.We’re still trying to decide on charges.What was the statement you were going to make?”

“I…I was just going to say that she confessed to me.Last night.”

Jack nodded.“Well, with her confession that won’t be necessary.”

Axel was still staring dumbly at the cell area that Danielle had been taken to, still wondering if there was anything he could have done different, or sooner, to stop it from happening.A thought occurred to him and he turned back to Jack.“What’ll happen to Geoff now?”

“That’s up to you.Do you want to press charges over the assault?”

“No, no.I think he’s paid for that enough.”

“Then as soon as the paperwork’s done he’s free to go.”

Geoff took a deep lungful of the first fresh air he’d tasted in nearly two days.There seemed to be quite a crowd waiting for him outside.He shook hands with Tony, got pats on the back from Ric and Lucas, hugs from Irene and Annie and Belle.He lifted James up into the air, whirling the boy round before settling him on his feet again, laughing.And then he reached Melody.

They stared at each other for a moment and then they were kissing, restraining themselves only because of the presence of the others.He looked at her and smiled.“Guess that wedding’s taking place after all.”

Okay, I managed to hammer this one out quickly and I've got literally minutes until my parents come to take me to my aunt's birthday so hope you like it.

CHAPTER 14

Geoff and Melody were walking slowly.It wasn’t entirely out of trepidation since James was walking between them, his tiny hands in theirs, and they had to keep pace.“You don’t have to see him if you don’t want to,”Geoff told her.

“No, I need to do this,”Melody replied,“It’s time to stop being frightened.For good.”The bench was in sight by now.They stopped.“Wait here,”Melody told Geoff, kissing him on the cheek.Then she and James walked towards the bench and the person sitting there.

“James, I want you to meet someone,”Melody told her son,“This is Axel.”

Axel had leaned forward to speak to James.“Hey there, little fella.Do you remember me?”

“You were at the house,”James recalled.

“That’s right.I probably should have told Mummy I was coming.I…I knew her once, before you were born.”

“Were you friends?”James asked.

Axel floundered for a moment and Melody stepped in.“We went to school together.But we didn’t really know each other that well.Look, James, go and stand with Daddy, okay?I need to have a word with Axel.”

As James scurried away, Melody sat down.“Thanks for meeting me,”Axel told her.

“I think I needed to.Look, if you want him to know you’re his biological father…”

Axel shook his head.“He doesn’t need to know that.”

“He’ll find out eventually though.I still hear people talking from time to time.He’ll overhear something and ask questions.Or, when he gets older, he’ll wonder why Geoff’s name isn’t on his birth certificate.”

“Maybe that’s why I wanted to meet him.So he’ll remember me as something other than the Man Who Hurt Mummy.”

Melody didn’t know what to say to that so she changed the subject.“I hear Mrs.Bellingham’s agreed to represent Danielle.”

“Is there anyone she won’t represent?She’s confident the charge will be reduced to manslaughter.Even then Dan could get four years, no parole for two.If they can convince the judge she didn’t mean to injure Aden, she could get away with a suspended sentence.You know what I said to Aden when he first started seeing Dan?‘If you hurt my sister, I’ll break every bone in your body.’Doesn’t really seem funny now.”He sighed.“I should never have come back here.”

“It wasn’t really your fault, what happened.Aden and Nicole…it would have come out eventually.”

“Yeah but feelings tend to run high when I’m around, have you noticed?If things had happened differently, maybe Aden would still be alive.That’s why I’ve decided I’m leaving.I’ll stay in the city until the trial, Danielle too if she gets bail.After that, I’m heading back to the Territories.”

“When are you going?”

“Pretty much now.”He got to his feet and took a white envelope out of his pocket before handing it to her. “Here.Consider it a wedding present.”

Axel had intended that to be his farewell.But as he walked away, he saw Geoff send James to sit with Melody and then move towards him.“I guess I should thank you for not pressing charges.And I guess I should apologise to you for doing something I deserved to be charged for in the first place.”

Axel shrugged.“No-one’s going to blame you.”

“I blame me.You’ve done some bad things in the past, Axel, but you’re trying to be a better person.I should probably do the same.”

Almost on impulse, he held out his hand.For a moment, Axel just stared at it and he wondered if he’d done the right thing.Then he grasped it, looking him in the eye as he did so, before walking away again.

Geoff carried on to where Melody and James were sitting.“What have you got there?”

Melody was scanning the contents of the envelope.“Three nights in a log cabin.”She looked up.“Geoff, he’s booked us a honeymoon.”

Geoff smoothed his suit down for what seemed like the millionth time.“Are you sure I look okay?”

“Well…I’d marry you,”Tony offered,“Oh, hang on.”He adjusted Geoff’s tie slightly.“Now you’re perfect.”

Geoff nodded nervously.“Good.”

“I feel like I should be giving you some fatherly advice.”Tony thought for a moment.“Don’t forget what you’ve got to say and don’t bump into anyone.”

“Thanks, Tony.”Geoff looked at Lucas, who seemed to be shuffling through some sheets of paper. “What’s that?”

“My speech.”

Geoff stared hard at the sheets.There appeared to be at least four of them.Large ones.He had an uncomfortable feeling Lucas had written on both sides.“All that?”

“Hey, never ask a writer to be best man.”

Ric appeared in the doorway.“Right, guys, the cars are here, the church is waiting.Let’s get this one married.”

Irene was waiting in the living room when Melody came out of her room.She was wearing a long white dress, her hair tied up.“How do I look?”

“Absolutely beautiful, darling.”Irene hugged the girl and kissed her on the cheek.“Oops, better make sure you don’t get my mascara on you.”

“I just want to thank you, Irene, for everything.If you hadn’t taken me in after my mum left, I don’t think Geoff and I would be together now.”

“Oh, I think you kids would have found a way even without me.But I’m glad I could help.You’re not nervous or anything?It’s just you seemed to be in the bathroom a long time.”

“I had a lot to do.Don’t worry.After the last few days, nothing is going to stop us getting married.”

Edward Jones was waiting for them outside the church.He smiled as Melody approached him.“You look beautiful, love.Geoff’s a lucky man.”

Melody smiled before looking at the building.“Mum…would have hated this, wouldn’t she?Me getting married in a church like this, to someone not of the faith.”She glanced at James, standing with Annie, Belle and Nicole.“With a son born out of marriage as page boy.”

“Well, your mother was wrong about a lot of things.And I want you to know…I might not have been the best father, might not have always been there for you when you needed me, but I have always been proud of the fact that you’re my daughter.”

“Thanks, Dad.”She kissed him on the cheek and offered him her arm.“Well.Let’s do this.”

“Geoff, do you take Melody to be your wife?Will you love her, comfort her, honour and protect her and, forsaking all others, be faithful to her as long as you both shall live?”

Geoff looked at Melody and smiled.“I do.”

“Melody, do you take Geoff to be your husband?Will you love him, comfort him, honour and protect him and, forsaking all others, be faithful to him as long as you both shall live?”

Melody grinned at Geoff.“I do.”

Ric glanced back at Mattie, seated in the congregation, remembering their wedding day, that crisp autumn day in Perth two years previous.He hadn’t regretted it a day since and he didn’t think she had either.And he was sure that Geoff and Melody would be as happy as they were.

Annie looked at Jai, wondering if it would be them one day, standing up there in front of everyone, announcing their love and pledging to spend the rest of their days together.She hoped so.Time would tell.

Belle was studiously avoiding Lucas’ gaze, resolving never to let him go to any more weddings.They always seemed to start him up again.There was no way she was going to be having that conversation any time soon.No way.

Nicole looked around, wishing that Aden was there.She had come to support her friends but she still missed him terribly.She saw Roman looking at her.It’s okay, his gaze seemed to say.You won’t always feel like this.And, despite herself, she smiled.

“In the presence of God and before this congregation, Geoff and Melody have made their vows and, as a symbol of their love, exchanged rings.I therefore proclaim that they are husband and wife.”

Geoff took his wife in his arms and kissed her.

Thanks for the kind words.Here's the conclusion, hope everyone likes it.

CHAPTER 15

The rest of the congregation had gathered outside the church, throwing confetti and offering their congratulations.Geoff and Melody made their way smiling through their friends.Nicole had managed to make her way through the crowd towards them and, as the pair were about to get into their car, she caught Melody’s arm.“Mel…my bridesmaid’s bouquet.I know you paid for it and everything but do you mind if..?”

Melody smiled at her kindly, understanding.“Go to him.”

The funeral had only been two days previous.There hadn’t yet been time to erect a headstone.A simple cross marked the place, the brass plate inscribed simply Aden Jefferies 1989-2012.Nicole laid the bouquet next to it, adding it to the floral tributes already in place.

“It’s Geoff and Mel’s wedding day, Aden.They finally made it.Everyone’s happy for them, me included I guess, but it’s difficult.I’m looking around that church and seeing all the other girls dreaming about their wedding days…and I can’t do that.’Cos the guy I wanted to marry is back here.You know, it’s only now that it’s too late that I realise…I never once told you I love you.I don’t think I’ve even said it out loud before.Maybe if I’d said it, if we’d both been honest sooner, it wouldn’t have ended like this.Because I do love you, Aden.I always will.”

The surf club, being practically the only place in the Summer Bay environs suitable for holding a wedding reception, had been decked out accordingly.Everyone had made it through Lucas’ speech and now Geoff and Melody were leading the dancing.“So how are you feeling, Mrs.Campbell?”Geoff asked.

Melody smiled at him.“Like I wish this day could last forever.”

“Well, we’re going to be married forever, so I guess in a way it will.”He kissed her gently.

Lucas and Annie were dancing next to them, Lucas’ expression becoming more pained by the minute. “Aren’t you finding this embarassing yet?”

“Not as embarassing as you are,”Annie replied.

Ric went over to where Belle was sitting.“I think I’m supposed to ask a bridesmaid to dance as well.”

“Won’t your wife object?”

Ric glanced over at where Matilda was dragging Jai onto the dance floor.“No, I think she’s occupied.”

Belle sighed and took his hand.“Don’t know why you didn’t just put your keys in a bowl and have done with it.”

Nicole watched all the happy couples and wondered if she’d ever be one of them again, ever feel happy. Roman leaned across the table towards her.“Would it be considered daggy if you shared a dance with your old man?”

“Yes.”She took his hand.“But I guess I can cope with being daggy just this once.”

Everyone had gathered outside to see the couple off.Melody crouched by James.“Now, you be good for Irene and Auntie Annie.Daddy and I will be back in three days.”

“How many’s three?”James asked.

Melody kissed him, on alternate cheeks, three times.“That many.”She kissed him on the forehead.“And one for luck.”

As the pair climbed into the car, Irene called after them.“Melody, love!You forgot your bouquet!”

Melody wound the window down and hurled her bouquet into the crowd.Then she settled back in Geoff’s arms as the car pulled away.Everyone ran after them, waving.Except for Belle, who just stood there, holding the bouquet she’d caught.

She gave Lucas a warning look.“Do not say a word.”

Whatever else there was to say about him, Axel had a good eye for a honeymoon spot.The cabin was well out of the way of anyone but within easy reach of town if they needed supplies.Geoff and Melody lay in bed, peace reigning all around them.Geoff touched Melody’s shoulder as she lay with her back to him. “You’re quiet.”

“There’s something I need to tell you.”

“What?”He was concerned.

She turned over, facing him.“Geoff, I…I think I’m pregnant again.”

His expression was unreadable.“But you’re not sure?”

“I’ve missed a couple of periods but I thought it was just the stress over the wedding and you being arrested.But these past few days…I’ve felt pregnant, like I did with James.So this morning, before the wedding, I did a test.It was positive.I’m going to book an appointment for when we get back but I think it’s only going to confirm it.”She looked at him hard.“What are you thinking?”

His expression didn’t change.But his eyes were smiling.“I’m thinking it’s the best wedding present you could have given me.”

And she knew in that moment, and as he kissed her, that it would last forever, or as much forever as they had.Life had thrown so much at them and she knew it would continue to do so.But just at that moment, for however long it lasted, everything was perfect.

Comments

Archived