Ray Meagher OK with career character

Guest Dan F

Home and Away's Ray Meagher OK with career character

0,,6170492,00.jpg

TWO years on Home and Away once seemed a big commitment to Ray Meagher, the actor now synonymous with Alf 'stone the flamin' crows' Stewart.

The iconic character he has played for 21 years - initially refused to sign anything more than a six-month contract.

"We're a cynical bunch, actors. I thought three months would probably do it," he says. "Two years seemed like a long time to be involved with the one show. Twenty years later I'm still there.

"There was a lot of stuff going on in Aussie drama. I did True Believers, a part on the mini-series Spit McPhee and the pilot of Home and Away, thinking it would never get up. A lot of them don't."

Meagher says even after the pilot went to a series in 1988 and the soap found a solid fan base, he still wasn't convinced he should stay.

After six months on the show, he again refused the standard two-year contract and instead signed on for another six months.

The departure late last year of Kate Ritchie, who grew up on Home and Away, leaves Meagher as the last remaining original cast member. Meagher says he doesn't see that changing any time soon, and he misses Ritchie. "We worked together for 20 years," he says.

"We spent five days a week in next-door dressing rooms. We would talk about everything from our contracts to her boyfriends," Meagher says.

Meagher says his current five-year commitment to the series means he will be in Summer Bay for at least another three years.

"I enjoy going to work 90 per cent of the time," he says. "There are some days where I believe things aren't as sharp or as well written as they could be, but you get that with any soap."

Before Home and Away, he played a racist prison warder on Prisoner and had recurring roles in Number 96 and A Country Practice. He also starred in dramas such as Breaker Morant and My Brilliant Career .

The 64-year-old actor is resigned to the fact he will probably be forever known as Alf

and says his hectic filming schedule on Home and Away allowed little time for other projects beyond his annual pilgrimage to London for Christmas panto season.

"I worked as an actor for 15 to 20 years before Home and Away and did 30 feature films, television and stage shows," he says.

"Some of them were only as the guy who brings the coffee; others were important roles. But most people know me as Alf. That's OK.

"I've been to England and done 16 pantomimes and got to do Priscilla: Queen of the Desert (filling in for Michael Caton on the Sydney stage) last year.

"Things like that wouldn't have happened without Alf Stewart. Playing Alf has been good to me."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...5003422,00.html

thanks for the article.

Meagher says his current five-year commitment to the series means he will be in Summer Bay for at least another three years.

wow 21 years. I think he should retire and enjoy the rest of his life. I would love to see him leave on a high.

Thank you.

I didn't know he didn't sign long term contracts. Esp in the early yrs.

Wow it sure does not feel like 21 yrs..

I enjoy going to work 90 per cent of the time," he says. "There are some days where I believe things aren't as sharp or as well written as they could be, but you get that with any soap.

Great that Ray is honest, and tells it. How he thinks it is..

Gosh he sure, has done a few Panto's.. Wow

The 64-year-old actor is resigned to the fact he will probably be forever known as Alf

Well there is nothing wrong with that IMO :D .. Go Ray, hope your next three yrs. Is as awesome as the last 21yrs have been.

Archived