2008 - He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

Guest Skykat

Summary

Ever since he arrived in the Bay and revealed himself as Sally's long-lost twin brother, Miles had been keeping a secret. He eventually told Sally that he was still haunted by nightmares of the Boxing Day Tsunami that claimed the lives of his wife and daughter back in 2004.

Recently, his fear of water manifested to the point that he couldn't go near the beach without suffering from a panic attack. After several sessions with a therapist, Miles decided that he was going to return to Phuket, so he could face his demons and end the nightmares.

As Miles organized his departure, Sally struggled to cope with her new-found brother's decision. However, when Miles invited her to join him, Sally was delighted and immediately replied, "Yes!"

Script

EXT. BACK PORCH, SUMMER BAY HOUSE – NIGHT

SALLY and MILES are talking over coffee.

MILES

Are you one-hundred percent sure about this? Phuket is a fair distance away from the Bay.

SALLY grabs MILES' hand.

SALLY

I've never been more sure of anything.

MILES smiles.

MILES

You don't know how happy I am to hear you say that. I have a good feeling about this, Sally.

SALLY

I do too.

A door is heard opening from inside the house.

CASSIE (O.S.)

(calling out)

Sal, I'm home.

MILES

Back to reality, do you know when you're gonna break the news to everyone?

SALLY

Well, I don't see any point in delaying it. I think it's better to get it over and done with. I'll talk to Cass now.

CASSIE (O.S.)

(calling out)

Sal?

SALLY

(to Cassie)

Be right there.

(to Miles)

Wish me luck.

MILES

Good luck.

MILES smiles, as SALLY gets up and walks inside. He takes a deep breath and takes a sip of his coffee.

INT. LIVING ROOM, SUMMER BAY HOUSE – NIGHT

SALLY and CASSIE are sitting on the couch together, holding hands.

SALLY

There's no easy way to tell you this, Cass. But, I've decided that I'm gonna go with Miles to Phuket.

CASSIE

(shocked)

What? When did you decide this?

SALLY

A few days ago. I'm flying out next week.

CASSIE

Next week? You're kidding? Why so soon?

SALLY

Miles has been planning to go back for almost a month, and even though I've decided to go with him, he can't change his flight, so...

CASSIE

(getting emotional)

Sally, this is happening way too fast. I can't believe you're really going. I don't know what I'm gonna do without you.

SALLY

You'll be fine. Mr Stewart will still be here, and you've got Ric and Martha. And, I won't be gone forever.

CASSIE

Promise?

SALLY

Listen, Summer Bay will always be my home. No matter where I am in the world. Besides, you can call me whenever, and I'll call you. Now stop crying and give me a hug.

CASSIE wipes her eyes and the pair embrace.

SALLY

(cont'd)

I don't know what I did to deserve a daughter like you.

CASSIE

(jokingly)

Yeah, well I guess you haven't been to bad a mum either. But if a day goes by and you haven't sent at least one email today, then I swear I'll be the first flight over and dragging your butt back here.

SALLY

(laughing)

I've no doubt about that.

CASSIE

You'll be safe over there, won't you?

EXT. BACK PORCH, SUMMER BAY HOUSE - NIGHT

MILES is staring blankly at his coffee, lost in thought.

SALLY (V.O.)

Of course. Miles will look after me. I would never leave the Bay if I didn't think otherwise.

MILES' mobile phone rings, snapping him out of his daze. He looks at his phone and sees whose calling. He quickly walks to the door, quietly closes it, and answers.

MILES

I was wondering when you'd call.

The person on the other end responds. We do not hear them.

MILES

(cont'd)

It's all sorted. She's agreed to come.

Response.

MILES

(cont'd)

Next Friday. Get one of the boys to meet me on the corner of Foster and Yabbie Creek road, round noon. She'll be with me. I'll need some help.

INT. MEN'S PRISON – NIGHT

A prisoner is on the other end of the line. His back is to the camera.

MILES

(cont'd, on the phone)

Everything is going to plan. She has no idea who I am.

The prisoner turns around to face the camera, revealing himself to be – JOHNNY COOPER!

JOHNNY

Good. We've been organising this whole charade for months. We've come way too far for things to screw up now. She can't get away with what she did - to our Rocco, to me, to the brotherhood.

EXT. BACK PORCH, SUMMER BAY HOUSE - NIGHT

MILES

She won't get away with it, bro. This time next week - Sally Fletcher will be gone.

He hangs up and smiles. Satisfied.

Archived