2008 - Goodbye my Friends

Guest Skykat

Summary

Recently, Sally's student Annie Campbell has felt isolated and alone as her friends developed new relationships, bigger social circles. Studious Annie would rather read a schoolbook, than go clubbing with her school peers.

Although growing loneliness leads her to the internet, whilst reseaching for coursework, she falls into social networking website, Myspace.

Sally notices quickly that Annie has become detatched from her "real" friends, and her school work seems poor. After catching Annie on the school library computers, Sally discovers the real reason her grades are down.

Aware of the dangerous pitfalls for a vulnerable youngster, Sally sets up her own profile on the website. As a teacher, she wants to understand this new trend.

Before long, Sally receives several friend requests. Many of them old university friends almost forgotten. But there was one that stood out...

Luke Harvey.

Luke was to be best man at Sally's ill fated wedding to fiance Kieran years ago.

Sally's, moved on since then, but maybe, all it would take is a welcoming message and a friendly photo, to realise that she hadn't moved on as much as she had thought.

So Sally would resume a friendship to take her away from the Bay

Script

Characters : Sally, Leah, Rachel

Scene : Rachel's flat. The girls openly chat over a bottle of white wine, or two.

Rachel :

So did you speak to Annie yesterday?

Sally :

No.. .I really wanted to have a talk with her as well before... (stops mid sentence)

Leah :

Poor kid, she really needs someone she can trust right now.

Rachel :

Well, you cant beat Irene for that.

Leah :

Sal..?

Sally is distracted...

Sally :

Huh? What? Sorry...

Rachel :

Sal, you haven't been yourself for a few days now...

Sally breaks down, as her two friends look on in horror. Leah moves over to hug Sally.

Leah :

Hey... come on, you can tell us? Is it Pippa..? School..?

Sally :

No, no, it's nothing like that at all...

Rachel hands Sally a bunch of tissues, and Sally wipes her face and tries to compose herself.

Sally :

The Bay - I grew up hereI So many good memories.. And yet I feel so trapped.

Sally looks from Leah to Rachel.

Sally :

Guys, I've done something... I'm not sure what's made me do it or even why..

Rachel :

Sal what it is it?

Sally :

Ok... Whilst looking into Annie's online community. I set up my own profile.

Rachel :

And..?

Sally :

And.. I got in touch with... Luke Harvey. He's a friend of Kieran's.. Living in Tassie now, doing really well - with his own catering business. I know - I could hardly believe it either!

Sally looks from Leah to Rachel for understanding.

Sally :

He's asked me and Pippa to join him. I've spoken to the Department and there's a really good local school I could go to as Deputy Head.

Rachel :

Oh my gosh! Sal that's huge! Are you sure?

Leah :

It sounds like you have made up your mind...

Rachel :

Have you told Ric and Cassie?

Sally :

Not yet... I dont even know how.

Rachel :

They'll understand. And it's not like they will never see you again. They can visit - and I hope YOU will come back and visit us every so often..

Leah :

Yeah they're good kids.

Sally :

I know they are, and they have come so far. And you bet I will! Try and keep me away - I'll be bringing the whole family here for holidays!!!

Archived