2008 - The End of an Era

Guest Skykat

Summary

A week ago Sally’s adopted mother Pippa and her partner Ian were on a flight to Europe for a holiday when the plane crashed during take off. Both Pippa and Ian were severely injured. As soon as Sally heard the news she flew to the Carrington Ranges to visit them in hospital. She has just returned home having made the decision to move to Carrington Ranges, where Ian and Pippa live, to help Pippa through her recovery.

Script

INT. THE CARAVAN PARK HOUSE – LATE AFTERNOON

SALLY, ALF, CASSIE

(SALLY is sat at the kitchen table nursing an empty mug when ALF enters)

ALF

Ah Sal, you’re back. You should’ve let us know. Young Ric could’ve picked you up.

SALLY

I didn’t want to bother anyone and besides … I had some thinking to do.

(ALF pulls out a chair and sits down)

ALF

(concerned)

How were Pippa and Ian?

SALLY

It was worse than we thought. I didn’t want to tell you over the phone but Pippa’s spine was badly damaged in the crash … Before I left, the doctor told me he doesn’t think she’ll walk again.

ALF

Strewth! Poor Pip, that’s terrible! How’s Ian?

(SALLY shakes her head)

SALLY

He’s in pretty bad shape too. He broke both legs in several places and has a couple of cracked ribs and a punctured lung.

ALF

Aw, Jees. Do they have any idea what caused the crash, yet?

SALLY

(In clipped tones)

Apparently the pilot had been drinking.

(SALLY picks up her mug, walks into the kitchen and puts it in the sink. She is followed by ALF)

ALF

(forcefully)

Flamin’ mongrel! I hope they lock him up and throw away the key!

SALLY

They’d have a job. He passed away yesterday.

ALF

That’s more than he deserves!

SALLY

At the moment, I’m more concerned about what’s going to happen to Pippa and Ian when they leave the hospital, Mr Stewart. There’s no way they’ll be able to cope on their own.

ALF

Surely the hospital can arrange some kind of home care for them, love?

SALLY

(Half-heartedly)

Perhaps …

(ALF pauses to read SALLY’S distant expression)

ALF

Maybe you should go back to the Carrington Ranges for a while. Me and the kids can look after the caravan park. And surely you could get a leave of absence from the school.

SALLY

Thanks, Mr Stewart but Pippa’s going to need my support for a long time, not just a couple of weeks. I’ve decided … I want to move to the Carrington Ranges to look after her and Ian.

ALF

Strike me Roan, Sal! Are you sure about this? Leaving Summer Bay’s a big decision. Why don’t you take a while to think about it?

(CASSIE enters the house and hovers behind the kitchen wall, unseen by SALLY and ALF)

SALLY

The thing is this accident’s made me realise how much I miss Pippa. And now that Brad’s gone, Leah and Dan are moving to America, Cassie’s finished school and Ric’s all grown up it just feels like the right time for a fresh start.

ALF

You sound like you’ve made your mind up, Sal. It’ll be the end of an era, that’s for sure! Have you thought about how you’ll break the news to Cassie and Ric?

CASSIE enters the kitchen

CASSIE

Sal? You’re not seriously thinking about leaving? You can’t go!

SALLY

Cassie, this wasn’t the way I wanted you to find out. Please, sit down. Let me explain …

CASSIE bursts into tears and runs out of the Caravan Park house.

Archived