Lookalike

Guest Miranda

Rachel did not see Hugh again that day. He hadn’t given away any emotion at seeing her again, whether it was scorn, indifference or even pleasure. Her mind whirled for the rest of the day, and all through the night she was thinking about the situation, over and over, around and around. The next morning she was drained and pale, so much so that Sam questioned her.

‘Oh, I’m just tired-’ Rachel trotted our her usual excuse. It sounded so lame, even to her, and Sam gave her a very sceptical look. Rachel didn’t feel she knew Sam well enough to tell her about Hugh though, because that would lead to bringing up the Kim and Kit situation, dredging up old feelings that she didn’t want to dredge up in front of just anyone. The person she needed was Leah, but she was away on holiday with Dan and the boys, so Rachel didn’t want to bother her. She would have to work out what to do by herself.

For the following week, Rachel kept seeing Hugh around. It was the law of human life, that whatever you don’t want to happen always does. Like toast always falling butter-side down, the very person Rachel wanted to avoid kept appearing. In the staff cafe, the corridor, the stairwell, the ward. It wasn’t even as if he was close to her, he was usually at a distance, but she always spotted him before anyone else.

One day, she was rushing through some double doors with an armful of folders, and of course, the person rushing through them the other way was Hugh. He bumped into her, and all her folders fell on the floor. Their eyes met, then he bent down to help her pick them up.

‘This is ridiculous,’ he said as he stood up. ‘We can’t keep avoiding each other. Let’s have coffee some time.’

‘Oh- yes. Let’s.’ She was relieved.

‘How about tomorrow? My shift is eight til two. I’m sure I can fit in a coffee break around ten.’

‘Yes, I start at eleven tomorrow, so that’ll be- I can come a bit early.’

‘We’ll meet at the staff cafe shall we?’

‘Yes, its the easiest.’ They smiled cautiously at each other and went in opposite directions.

Rachel spent the next few hours thinking and wondering. What had Ceri told Hugh about her? Had he even told him anything? Did Hugh want to discuss something specific? Perhaps he was now married. Whatever it was, she couldn’t help feeling a bit excited at the thought of talking to him again. She often wanted her old friend Hugh back: she had shared so many thoughts, triumphs, disappointments, hopes with him in the past, and all that had gone. But she wanted more of him now, more than friendship. She hadn’t had a satisfactory relationship with a man since Kim. No one else seemed to be on her wavelength.

At ten o’clock, Rachel sauntered into the staff cafe, trying to look casual and relaxed, although her heart was hammering. She saw Hugh sitting by the window, watching her walk in with a half smile on his face.

‘Hello,’ she said breezily, sitting down with a bump. Her coffee spilled slightly into the saucer.

‘Hello.’

Then they both spoke at once.

‘Was there something-’

‘Glad you could-’

‘Sorry, you go ahead,’ said Hugh politely. He was in his reserved mode, Rachel recognised. He so often hid his feelings under a professional and distant manner but she knew this didn’t mean he was heartless.

‘What are you doing here?’ she blurted, stirring her coffee violently without even noticing.

‘Thanks for the welcome!’

‘Sorry. I didn’t mean to sound unwelcoming, but what are you doing here?’

‘Well, as you know, they’ve been a bit careless with their doctors here, so they asked me to come back for a while. And- as you also know- my speciality is dermatology. They’ve got a waiting list of of consultations, so I’m seeing them too. I don’t get a chance at St Johannes.’

‘That’s- that’s good.’

‘So don’t worry, I’m not here to break up your marriage. I’m here for my career.’

Rachel was surprised at how arrogant he sounded.

‘I just wanted you to know that. And I’m staying in Yabbie Creek, so you won’t bump into me anywhere when you’re on your happy family outings.’

She didn’t know what to say. Obviously Ceri hadn’t told him anything about her... so much for her romantic ideas.

‘How is Kim? And the baby? Sorry, I forget his name.’

‘They’re fine.’

‘Although I suppose he’s not a baby anymore. A toddler.’

‘Yes.’ Archie must be a toddler, thought Rachel bleakly. The toddler I didn’t have.

‘Anyway,’ he said. ‘It was good to see you again.’ He gathered up his papers and equipment, and strolled out of the cafe.

She didn’t watch him go. Her pride was satisfied by not telling him about her broken marriage, but her heart was not.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a disappointment her first meeting with him had been, she thought. She had been allowing herself to fantasise about him, but it seemed he had grown cold and indifferent towards her. She was too proud to tell him how lonely she was now and how badly her marriage had turned out. She must ignore him and get on with her life.

It was more difficult than she thought it would be. Again, she saw him everywhere, because it was such a small hospital, and a few weeks later he suggested coffee again. Proudly, she refused and he didn’t ask again.

The next week however, there was another emergency- a woman with a burst appendix- and as Rachel and Hugh were the nearest available doctors at the time, they took charge. She went into professional mode and was able to observe him working, focusing on his skilful and strong hands as he carefully cut away the damaged tissue and repaired the injury.

‘Have a look at this,’ he said.

She was so busy studying his hands that she didn’t hear.

‘Rachel?’

‘Oh, sorry. If I hold that bit of skin back-’ she helped him for a minute, then he got on with the operation.

‘There,’ he said after a while, with a smile of relief. ‘That was a nasty one: she must have felt awful.’

Rachel couldn’t help smiling back. There was the old compassionate Hugh again.

‘Come on,’ he said when the patient had been wheeled away. ‘Lets grab lunch.’

They went to the staff cafe light heartedly.

‘I love it when you get a quick result like that,’ enthused Rachel. ‘That patient will feel better immediately, won’t she?’

Hugh smiled. ‘Yeah, its great isn’t it?’

‘I do love my job!’

‘Kim should be very proud of you. He’s lucky to have such a dedicated wife.’

Caught off guard, she laughed bitterly. She hadn’t felt like a wife for months and months.

‘Sorry if that sounds funny to you!’

‘No, not at all. I’m just laughing because I’m not a wife anymore, that’s all. Kim left me in the spring.’

‘Oh! I’m- I’m sorry to hear that. I-’ He looked genuinely surprised.

‘So, that’s how it is, I’m afraid. I’m sorry, I have an appointment.’ She smiled briefly, unable to talk anymore, and marched out of the cafe.

Forgetting about the attacker, Rachel took the deserted path to the beach from the hospital. She needed to calm down. She hadn’t meant to blurt out her situation like that and strode along as if she was in a race. The strengthening breeze did not help, blowing in her face and annoying her.

‘Hey! Wait!’

She looked back to see Hugh running after her, but she didn’t stop walking. Well, maybe she slowed down a bit.

‘Why didn’t you tell me about Kim?’ He was out of breath.

‘What would you have done? You think you’re so irresistible! “I’m not here to break up your marriage.’ What sort of person says that?’

‘I was only trying to-’

‘Well, YOU weren’t the reason we broke up!’ She stopped and faced him angrily.

‘I didn’t think I was!’

‘It was Kit and Archie! He wanted to be with them more than me!’ A hot tear forced itself from her eye, then another and another. ‘I wasn’t good enough for him!’

There was a loaded pause.

‘He’s a fool then,’ said Hugh quietly.

Rachel had run out of words and just stood there glaring at him.

Just then, his pager went off. He ignored it for a few seconds, then reluctantly glanced at it.

‘I’ve got to get back to the hospital,’ he sighed, still looking at her. ‘Come with me.’

She shrugged and started to walk slowly back down the path.

‘I think you need a break, Rach.’

‘Don’t tell me what I need!’

‘Well, you do. I used to know you, remember?’

They walked back to the hospital in silence, both deep in thought.

‘Sorry for what I said about not breaking up your marriage,’ he said when they got to the hospital. ‘It was meant to be light hearted. It was stupid.’

‘Well, I’m glad you haven’t got completely arrogant in your old age.’

He laughed and they went their separate ways.

Hugh and Rachel slowly, slowly began to repair their friendship. They were always so busy, as doctors are, but they made time to have coffees, sometimes lunches, together at work.

‘I’ve got a friend coming to stay soon,’ said Hugh one morning, as they sat companionably outside on the grass in the warm sunshine. ‘I think you might know him.’ He had that teasing look in his eyes again, the look Rachel knew from a long time ago.

‘Who is it?’

‘Ceri.’

‘Oh! Yes, I- er- yes I do know him.’

‘I hear you two got on quite well at the conference.’

‘Yes, we did. Not that well- but yes- quite well.’

‘Something you want to tell me?’ He was smiling broadly now.

‘No, nothing. He’s a nice guy, that’s all.’

‘Yes, he is. Anyway, he’s coming to stay for a fortnight. He’s at a loose end, poor thing. A long way from home.’

‘Did he tell you how we met?’

‘No. Do I want to know?’

She related the story of the mistaken identity.

‘It was even worse because the minute he walked in the room, he reminded me so much of Kim! It was such a shock.’

‘Ceri reminds you of Kim?’

‘Yes. No. A bit I suppose.’ She got up to throw her sandwich wrapper in the bin and didn’t see Hugh’s sudden frown.

‘This is the infamous diner,’ said Hugh, ushering Ceri in through the door. ‘Here’s Rachel and Leah.’

‘Hi,’ said the two women shyly. Ceri was equally shy.

‘How are you?’ he said to Rachel, while Leah got on with serving the customers.

‘I’m okay thanks. How are you?’

‘Fine. Listen, sorry I was funny about what you told me about you and Hugh. Its none of my business.’ He breathed out exaggeratedly. ‘Glad I got that off my chest.’

She couldn’t help laughing.

‘Did you tell him anything about me?’

‘Two lemonades,’ said Hugh, plonking the glasses on the table with more force than necessary. ‘What are you two whispering about?’

‘Nothin’,’ said Ceri. ‘Think I’ll go and have a look at the surf. Its like Cornwall here, innit? Not much like Wales.’ He sauntered off.

Rachel was still laughing. ‘Oh come on, lets go on the beach too. We can take our drinks.’

On the beach, they met Jack and Sam, and Rachel introduced everyone to each other. As it was the weekend, Rory was playing football with Lucas on the sand, so Jack, Hugh and Ceri joined in.

‘Its like being a teenager again isn’t it?’ remarked Sam. ‘Us girls sitting talking while the boys play football and try to impress us.’

Rachel laughed. ‘Yes. Now which one is your son and which is your husband again?’

The boys had naturally divided themselves into teams: the Holdens and Rory against Hugh and Ceri. There was a lot of pushing and shoving, cheating and showing off, and Rachel and Sam couldn’t stop laughing.

‘Hello, what’s all this about?’ said a jolly voice. Dan was smiling next to them with Leah, while Ryan and VJ ran off to join the football.

‘How’s things?’ asked Leah of Rachel.

‘Oh, okay.’

‘Who’s that blond guy?’

‘Its Ceri.’

‘Ooh!’ said Leah excitedly. ‘The famous Ceri.’

‘I’ll leave you to your girl talk,’ said Dan, jogging off to join the football. He was press ganged into a team with Ryan and VJ, which meant there was the unusual formation of three teams instead of two in the match.

‘I think I’ve met Hugh, haven’t I?’ asked Sam.

‘Have you? He has been in Summer Bay before,’ said Rachel.

‘They both seem very nice. What’s the story?’

‘Hugh’s an old friend who I used to work with, Ceri’s someone I met at a conference, but it turned out he is a friend of Hugh’s, so we all know each other,’ gabbled Rachel, wanting to avoid an interrogation.

‘Aha,’ said Leah and Sam together, then burst out giggling.

‘There’s nothing going on, if that’s what you’re thinking.’

‘No,’ said Sam. ‘You just happen to have two gorgeous guys following you around.’

Rachel giggled. ‘Yes, I do, don’t I? Aren’t I lucky?’

‘Yes, Leah and I are two boring old married women. You should enjoy yourself while you’re single, young lady.’ Sam wagged her finger at Rachel, making them all laugh even more.

‘Its good to see you laughing Rach,’ remarked Leah. ‘Its been a long time.’

‘Come on ladies!’ shouted Dan from the beach. ‘We’re getting beaten, we need your help.’

Without a moment’s hesitation, the trio got up and joined in the fun. Leah joined her family, Sam joined hers and Rachel joined her two friends. She was glad not to carry on the conversation for many reasons, but mainly because she didn’t want to go into her relationships- whatever they were- with Hugh and Ceri. Everyone ran around shouting, screaming and having fun for the rest of the afternoon, until all were completely exhausted.

[thought I'd better post another episode now. We're supposed to have a big storm coming in and there may be power cuts...]

‘So, what did you tell Hugh about me?’ asked Rachel of Ceri, after the afternoon’s football had come to an end. Hugh was talking to Irene and Colleen in the diner while the football party sat outside resting from their exertions. They had cornered him when he went in to buy cold drinks, and now were flirting outrageously with him as only older women dare to.

‘I just said you weren’t what I expected and you’d still be a good friend to have. I didn’t tell him about your husband and all that.’

‘Even though you said you wouldn’t tell him anything?’

‘I only said something when I knew he was coming back to Summer Bay. I thought it’d be really awkward if I didn’t.’

‘Yes, I suppose so. Thanks for being nice about me.’

‘Ah well. As I said, its none of my business, is it?’

Rachel spotted Hugh coming out of the door of the diner.

‘What kept you?’ she asked.

‘Had some catching up to do with people in the diner.’

‘Who?’

‘Irene and Colleen.’

‘Oh, I see! Chatting up the ladies?’ teased Ceri.

‘Hardly! Irene and Colleen are old enough to be my mothers. Or grandmothers!’

‘A likely story!’

‘Shut up, or I’ll chuck this drink over you.’

‘I think I’ve hit a nerve there: you’ve always been a ladies man.’

Rachel wished Ceri would be quiet. Why was he trying to annoy Hugh with silly remarks? Not that Hugh looked bothered, just amused, but Rachel didn’t think it was funny and felt quite defensive.

The day after next, Dan had to go out to America to find a place for the family to live; fill in the paperwork for his job and visa; find out what the area was like etc. There were many tearful farewells.

‘I’m going to miss him so much, Rach,’ sighed Leah.

‘Oh, don’t worry, the time’ll fly. You’ve always got me. And VJ; Sam and Jack; Irene and the diner. We’ll all keep you busy.’ She gave her dear friend a hug.

For Rachel, the time did indeed fly. There hadn’t been an attack at the hospital for months now and everyone had relaxed about it. Hugh and Ceri got into the routine of driving into the Bay every day, where either Hugh would go to work and leave Ceri at the house, or they would both be there, with or without Rachel. Ceri and Jack got on well and joked around all the time, so that everyone spent most of their time laughing. Other friends such as Tony, Lucas, Leah and Sally would often drop in, and the house became the centre of social activity where people would meet up before going out somewhere.

‘Why don’t you three come out with us for a meal like we did last month?’ suggested Sam one afternoon when there were no other visitors at the house. ‘We had such a great time at that place in Yabbie Creek, we could go there again. How about this evening?’

‘Yes, it was fun,’ agreed Rachel. ‘Let’s do it.’

‘Why not?’ said Hugh.

‘Might as well,’ said Ceri.

Marriage to Jack suited Sam. She was so much more relaxed and happy, making plans for the future, less guarded and rigid about everything. She booked a table for five at the restaurant, but as it turned out, Hugh had to cover for another doctor that evening, so it would only be four.

‘Its a pity Hugh couldn’t come,’ said Jack when they reached the restaurant.

Sam shrugged. ‘Its easier with just the four of us though.’

Rachel found herself opposite Ceri and next to Jack in the classic boy-girl seating arrangement. It was an intimate table in a secluded corner of the restaurant, unlike the balcony table last time.

‘So what did you do today Ceri? It must be a bit boring with everyone at work,’ said Sam, the hostess, after everyone had settled down and had a few drinks.

‘No, its not borin’ at all. I actually did some surfing.’

‘Yeah, Dad told me,’ interrupted Jack. ‘He said you weren’t bad, for a Pom.’

‘A Pom? How dare you? I’m a Welshman, and don’t you forget it, boyo.’ Ceri exaggerated his accent comically.

‘Oh, you foreigners are all the same to us.’

Ceri gave him a withering look, then turned to Sam. ‘Anyway, as I was sayin’ before I was rudely interrupted, I’ve done a bit of surfing. I did some in Johannesburg, so I’m not a complete novice.’

Jack laughed. ‘Yeah, Dad and Luc were impressed.’

‘So what I want to know is, what made you decide to work in South Africa?’ asked Sam. ‘Its a long way from home.’ Their first courses had come now and everyone tucked in.

‘Yes, it is a long way.’ Ceri paused. ‘But I like to travel, I like hot weather and doctors are always needed everywhere, so I took the opportunity.’

‘I’d love to travel. We could do that, couldn’t we Jack? When Rory finishes school?’

‘Yeah, that’d be great.’ Jack was enthusiastic, to Rachel's surprise.

Sam began talking about where she’d like to visit, with Ceri and Jack interrupting, joking, laughing. Rachel tried to add her comments, but the other three were talking so much that she couldn’t get a word in. She took her time enjoying her food instead and started thinking about her own plans for the future. She preferred the idea of the organic farm they had discussed at the last meal, settling down and-

‘What about you Rachel?’ asked Ceri suddenly. ‘Where would you like to go?’

‘Oh! Um... I’ve never been much of a traveller. I’m happy with Australia at the moment.’

There was a pause.

‘Well, that’s alright,’ said Ceri. ‘Australia’s unique.’

‘You could go and visit Ceri in Wales when he goes back!’ exclaimed Sam, who was definitely tipsy. ‘We could all go. Would that drag you away from Oz, Rach?’ She laughed triumphantly.

‘Probably. I’m interested though, Sam. Haven’t you had enough travelling around in your life when you were running away from Shane?’

Sam laughed again. ‘But I’m safe now, I’ve got Jack. We can go together, he’ll protect me.’

‘If you don’t mind me askin’... who’s Shane?’ Ceri enquired.

Sam began to explain about her ex husband, how for so many years she and Rory had lived in constant fear of being caught by him and had to move around the country constantly.

Rachel couldn’t help feeling bored: she had heard all about Shane Deeks before. She tried to catch Ceri’s or Jack’s eye as Sam woffled on, but they were engrossed in her story. She looked towards the door and as she did, it opened and Hugh came in.

‘I finished early so I thought I’d come along.’ He hovered by the table, smiling at Rachel. Ceri grabbed a nearby chair and put it between himself and Rachel. ‘There you go, mate.’

‘What are you doing here? I thought you were working tonight,’ said Sam, giggling wildly.

‘Sam,’ said Jack, removing her wine glass. ‘Can you get her a coffee, Ceri?’

‘Of course.’ He went off towards the bar. Jack followed him a moment later, while Sam put her head down on the table.

‘How are you?’ asked Hugh of Rachel. ‘Are you as merry as Sam?’

‘No, I’m fine. How about you?’

‘Sorry guys, I think we better go,’ interrupted the returning Jack. ‘Sam’s had enough. She’s not used to drinking this much. I’ve paid the bill, you can all pay me back tomorrow.’ He helped Sam towards the car.

‘Ah,’ said Hugh. ‘Looks like you’re in for a broken night.’

‘Great,’ said Rachel. ‘Can’t wait.’

The next morning, Rachel got out of the house and went to see Leah. Jack had been fussing over Sam all night and she was fed up with it.

‘How did the meal go last night?’ asked Leah when they had sat down comfortably on her sofa.

‘It was a good evening,’ said Rachel carefully. ‘Ceri’s so funny: he and Jack were like a double act.’

‘But...?’

‘Oh.... I don’t know. Between you and me, I didn’t feel like I fitted in. I felt like they were much younger and I was the older sister with different priorities.’

‘That’s a pity, Rach.’

‘I also felt like Sam’s really keen to make me and Ceri into a couple so we can go on double dates or whatever. She got so drunk that it was obvious.’

‘And you don’t want that?’

‘No. I was so much happier when Hugh walked in.’ She shrugged resignedly. ‘I like Ceri a lot, but I like Hugh more. He's so- I’d better not start talking about him or I’ll never stop.’

‘Aw... Rach! That's so sweet.’

‘I just don’t know if I’ve pushed him away too often for too long and now its too late for us.’

Leah gave her a knowing look, but said nothing.

That afternoon, Rachel and Hugh were both off work, so he suggested that they and Ceri drive inland to a local tourist attraction.

‘We’ll show you its not just beaches round here,’ he said jovially.

‘Er- to be honest with you, I’ve arranged to go surfing again with Tony and Lucas. Think I’ve got the bug,’ explained Ceri.

‘Okay. Sure? Its an amazing place: natural rock formations and things.’

‘Yeah. I’ll see you later.’ He picked up his beach bag and hurried off.

‘Funny. I thought he’d like to see the sights,’ said Hugh to Rachel. ‘Oh well, we’ll go anyway shall we?’

‘Yes,’ said Rachel, trying not to sound too keen.

The attraction was a group of natural rock extrusions, which had formed bizarre and beautiful shapes, set in a cutting in the dry hills in the countryside. It was very popular and stalls selling souvenirs were everywhere.

‘I can’t believe I’ve never been here before,’ marvelled Rachel, gazing up at a tall rock. ‘That one looks like a tree.’

‘And that one looks like a ball rolling down a hill,’ Hugh squinted at it.

Rachel suddenly remembered something and laughed out loud.

‘What’s so funny?’

‘Its just- the last time I was at a place like this I got thrown out for bad behaviour.’

‘What?’

‘I took Ceri to an outdoor art exhibition in the city, and we were messing around and had to be escorted out by security.’

‘Messing around?’

‘We were just running around- er- nothing terrible-’ she faltered.

He raised an eyebrow.

'We didn't do any harm to the art work!’

‘I hope not. The hospital would dismiss you immediately. They take art crime very seriously.’

‘What? Oh you!’ she hit him on the arm.

The afternoon drifted by, relaxed and comfortable. The sun was warm, but not unbearable, and the gentle heat made the ground pleasant to walk on. The sunlight glowed off the rocks and the sandy earth was golden, and the air shimmered contentedly.

Hugh and Rachel meandered around the park, gazing at all the strange rock formations. They rejected the tacky souvenirs in favour of drinks in the cafe. Sometimes they talked, sometimes they sat in companionable silence, watching the busy tourists mill around with their guidebooks and backpacks. When they had finished, they wandered back through the park and Rachel bought some postcards.

‘Are you going to send those to me when I go back to Johannesburg?’ The minute he said it, her face dropped, and he wished he could take it back.

‘Oh don’t say that! Don’t spoil this afternoon!’

She felt like he’d thrown a bucket of cold water over her. She had forgotten he wasn’t staying in Summer Bay forever.

‘Sorry.’ He thought what an idiot he was. He always tried too hard to lighten atmospheres.

‘When do you have to go back?’ she blurted, to fill the awkward silence.

‘Another four months.’

‘But I don’t want you to go back!’

Her words hung in the air, echoing in her head uncomfortably.

‘I -’

He was interrupted by an elderly man in a Hawaiian shirt waving a polaroid camera.

‘Could you take a picture of me and my wife please?’ he asked, in an American accent. ‘This rock’s such a good background.’

Hugh paused, then nodded politely. He took the pictures in the way the American directed, then handed back the camera. Meanwhile, Rachel watched, unsure what to do.

‘Let me return the favour, fella,’ smiled the American. ‘You and your lady wife stand here and I’ll take a picture of you.’

‘Thank you.’ Hugh smiled and he and Rachel changed places with the Americans

‘Come on now honey, get a little closer,’ urged the woman. ‘Put your arm round her.’

So he did, and Rachel was so relieved that she hadn’t offended or embarrassed him that she put her arm round him too, as they posed for a number of photos. The American seemed to think he was a film director and kept giving them instructions on how to stand, how to look etc. Then after what seemed like an hour, he handed over the pictures and said good bye.

‘What a cute young couple,’ the woman was saying as they ambled off. ‘Remember when we were their age, Marv?’

Hugh still had his arm round Rachel and she turned to him, feeling a mixture of shakiness, determination, safety, uncertainty.

‘I don’t want you to go,’ she repeated, looking into his dark eyes.

‘I don’t want to go either,’ he replied, then kissed her tentatively. She took a step back in surprise and found herself in a recess in the rock, her back pressed against it. She gazed at him for a second, then kissed him back passionately, her heart fluttering. They stayed there for a while, hidden from tourists and passers by, while the cicada orchestra began its soothing accompaniment.

Rachel and Hugh returned to Summer Bay in the early evening. They had decided to keep their new relationship to themselves for a while and not have the gossips of Summer Bay ruin it.

‘You two look happy,’ remarked Jack, who was peeling potatoes in the kitchen. ‘Where’s Ceri? Didn’t he go with you?’

‘No. Isn’t he here?’ asked Rachel.

‘Haven’t seen him.’

‘We’d better find him or he’ll be stuck in the bay for the night,’ said Hugh. ‘Didn’t he say he was surfing with Tony and Lucas?’

‘Did he? Better look on the beach then.’

They went together to the beach. Rachel couldn’t quite believe she and Hugh had just been kissing at the park. But every time she caught his eye she was reassured, because he looked just as she felt: starry eyed and full of hope. She was ready to giggle at anything remotely funny and had to stop herself talking constantly so he wouldn’t think she was a madwoman.

When they reached the sand, they couldn't see any surfers and scanned the sea.

‘Its too calm for surfing,’ observed Hugh. ‘Where’s he got to?’

‘There! Look!’ Ceri’s brand new South African rugby cap stood out a few yards away.

‘Who’s that he’s with?’

‘Isn’t it Leah?’

They strolled up to the seated figures, who were talking quietly.

‘Not surfing?’ called Hugh.

Ceri and Leah both jumped and looked up together.

‘Nah,’ said Ceri. ‘Finished a couple of hours ago.’

There was a pause.

‘Well, if you want to get back to Yabbie Creek with me, I’m going soon.’

‘Okay.’ He leapt up. ‘See you, Leah.’

‘Bye.’

The other three strolled back up to the path.

The next morning, Rachel woke up and wondered for a second why she felt so happy. She knew there was something... what was it? The memory took her breath away. Had she and Hugh really kissed yesterday? They hadn’t had another opportunity since the park because there had always been other people around. They hadn't even kissed good bye when he and Ceri drove back to Yabbie Creek yesterday evening. At least Hugh hadn’t said it was a mistake, or that he had a girlfriend in South Africa, or that he didn’t like her. She had half expected him to say something like that in the car on the way home. When she remembered how she'd treated him the last time he was in the Bay... How horrible she’d been. With a start, she suddenly realised that she hadn’t thought of Kim since that first coffee with Hugh. It had been a welcome relief.

If only she could have know what was going through Hugh’s mind that morning. He was also surprised that she hadn’t rejected him or said she wasn't over Kim, or that she preferred Ceri. He was so used to her pushing him away and not seeing him as more than a friend, that he was quite overcome by her reaction to him yesterday.

‘What’re we going to do today, boss?’ asked Ceri suddenly. ‘Sorry, mate, didn’t mean to make you jump.’

Hugh had dropped his toast at the sudden interruption to his thoughts.

‘Oh- same as usual. Go to the Bay, hang around there.’

‘See Rachel.’

‘I’m on late shift, so we’ll be getting home late tonight.’ He wondered suspiciously why Ceri was smirking to himself.

It was hard to keep anything secret in Summer Bay, so it was doubly hard for Rachel and Hugh to keep their relationship secret. There was always someone around, so they didn’t have much opportunity to talk or do anything else in private. Ceri only had one more week left, so they felt they had to be good hosts and entertain him. Anyway, they both liked him and wanted to spend time with him, so their relationship could go slow for a while.

Entertaining Ceri was easier said than done, however. He was very elusive and spent a lot of time surfing with the Holdens, or in the diner, or with Sam and Jack.

‘This is a bit weird isn’t it?’ mused Rachel one evening when she and Hugh were alone at home. Yet again, Ceri was somewhere else.

‘What?’ Hugh was washing up, in a rather irate way.

‘Ceri never seems to be around these days, does he? I thought he was here to see you, as you’re his friend.’

‘Mm... he’s a traveller, remember. He wants to see the sights, explore.’

‘But he didn’t want to come with us to the park that time, did he?’

Hugh paused for a moment. ‘You really wish he’d come with us that time?’

‘Er- well- actually no, you’re right there.’ They exchanged meaningful glances. ‘But he just seems to want to hang around in the Bay and not do anything else.’

‘Hm- well- its up to him. Can we stop talking about him now, or I’ll get a complex.’

‘Sorry.’ She went over and hugged him from behind. ‘What shall we talk about instead?’

He turned round to her. ‘Well...’

The washing up had to wait til the next day.

Rachel saw Tony outside his house the next day. She suddenly realised how long it was since she had watched a DVD with him. Their DVD evenings had never recovered from the Kit episode.

‘How are you?’ asked Tony, approaching with a smile. ‘Haven’t seen you much lately.’

‘No. I’m sorry about that. I’m very well, how are you?’

‘Its my birthday today. I wasn’t going to do anything but the boys said I should, so we're having a party and everyone’s invited.’

‘Great! Can I bring Hugh and Ceri?’

‘Yeah, no worries. About six at our house.’

Luckily, neither Hugh nor Rachel were working that evening. Rachel tried not to resent having to go out and not make the most of precious time with Hugh, but at least they would be in the same room.

Rachel, Hugh, Ceri, Sam and Jack straggled round to Tony’s house, carrying various snacks, drinks, chairs, glasses, bowls.

Tony, Lucas, Matilda and Ric were already setting up everything for the party.

‘Come on, put some muscle into it,’ Ric was saying to Lucas as they moved the sofa back against the wall to make more space. Lucas muttered something uncomplimentary in return. Matilda was putting crisps in bowls in the kitchen while Tony arranged the drinks next to them.

‘Hi guys,’ said Tony to the new arrivals. ‘Come in, have a drink and something to eat.’

Rachel’s group separated to help out with the preparations. Jack and Ceri went to help with furniture moving, Sam and Rachel opened more packets and bags of snacks, Hugh poured everyone drinks.

‘Helloo-oo!’ called a voice and Colleen bustled in, carrying an elaborately decorated cake. ‘Hope you don’t mind, Tony, I thought as its a historic occasion...’

‘Th-thanks Colleen,’ Tony said in surprise.

‘Is it a zero birthday?’ whispered Rachel to Matilda.

‘No. I’m pretty sure he’s not forty or fifty.’

Tony whisked the cake into the kitchen while Colleen sunk melodramatically into a chair.

‘Oh, my poor feet. I’ve been standing all day, could you get me a sweet sherry?’ She gazed up winningly at Ceri, who was nearest, and he hastened to obey her command.

Everyone- apart from Ceri and Jack who were listening to Colleen in the lounge- gathered round Tony’s cake in the kitchen. ‘Happy 50th Birthday’ was iced on it in blue.

‘How did she get the idea I was fifty?’ asked Tony.

‘Er- think that might have been me and Drew,’ said Lucas guiltily. ‘We were talking about how you used to be his mum’s sugar daddy, in the diner last week. We might have exaggerated your age a bit. Sorry.’

Tony tutted. ‘Now I’ll just have to go along with it. I don’t want to hurt Colleen’s feelings.’

‘You’ll have to act like a fifty year old,’ said Rachel.

‘Like this!’ said Ric, tottering across the floor and into the lounge.

‘Just remember I’m only five years away from being fifty. Hope I don’t deteriorate that badly by then!’

Everyone laughed.

‘Hello?’ called a voice at the door and Leah, followed by VJ, Drew, Belle, Irene, Annie and Geoff, came in. Leah had brought some home made snacks and cakes, and took them straight into the kitchen.

‘Hi Rach!’ she gave her a hug and a kiss and smiled at the others. Tony showed her the cake.

‘I didn’t know you were fifty! Congratulations!’ She hugged him too.

‘Hang on, I’m not really.’ He explained the situation. ‘So its only my official fiftieth birthday today. We’d better tell everyone to go along with it.’ He went into the lounge to hear Jack saying:

‘Of course, now Dad’s fifty, he’s not as able as he was, and Luc and I have to help out more.’

‘What a load of old rubbish,’ said Colleen. ‘Fifty’s nothing. Look at me, I’m nearly seventy and I do alright.’

Lucas and Ric were trying to hide their laughter.

‘Watch it,’ said Tony to Jack, trying to look threatening.

‘Just telling it how it is, Dad,’ said Jack innocently.

Luckily, at that moment, Sally, Pippa, Cassie, Alf and Morag came in.

‘Strewth, mate!’ exclaimed Alf. ‘Can’t see me way to the kitchen.’

The party guests spilled out into the garden.

‘We should have had a barbie instead,’ said Tony to Rachel.

‘The weather hasn’t been so good lately though, has it?’ Rachel wasn’t really listening: she was watching Hugh talking to Irene, and Ceri talking to Leah and Belle.

‘To tell you the truth, its my first birthday since Beth died and I didn’t know the best way to organise it.’

‘Oh Tony! I’m so sorry, I forgot!’ Rachel felt so guilty. Here she was thinking of her own minor problems while he was going through a major heartache. She gave him a hug.

‘You’re doing so well,’ she reassured him. ‘We’re all here for you.’

After she thought that Tony was feeling better, she went back into the house. Leah was in the kitchen, clearing some plates away, and Ceri was washing them up. They were talking quietly, then Leah looked round.

‘Hi Rach!’ she said. She sounded very jolly, even for her. ‘How are you?’

‘Fine- I was just going to get another drink.’

‘Here you are,’ Ceri helped her to some wine.

‘Thanks. Sorry, did I interrupt your conversation?’

‘No, no,’ they said in unison, but Rachel still felt that she had.

She wandered into the lounge where Colleen was still holding court.

‘Ah, Doctor Armstrong,’ she said at once. ‘How nice to see you. You must be very busy with your house guests. How are Doctor Sullivan and Doctor Pritchard?’

Rachel stifled a laugh. Colleen so loved to use people’s titles- she hardly recognised herself, Hugh and Ceri behind those names. She gave her a censored account of their activities lately, which Colleen devoured like she’d never heard any gossip before.

Archived