Lookalike

Guest Miranda

Rachel hardly spoke a word to Hugh all evening. Every time she caught sight of him, a different woman was talking to him: Irene, Colleen, Sally, Sam, Leah, even Morag at one stage. Perhaps Ceri was right, she thought. Maybe Hugh is a ladies man. No sooner had she thought this, however, he caught her eye and made a long suffering face. Ceri suddenly appeared next to him and started talking to Sally, who was Hugh’s companion at that moment. Rachel couldn’t hear what he was saying to her, because of the hubbub of everyone else talking and laughing. But he certainly managed to distract her from Hugh, especially as Leah came along at that moment with a selection of her home made food.

The next minute, Hugh was sitting next to Rachel on the sofa.

‘Leah seems to think you’ll waste away if you don’t eat right this minute.’ He handed her a plate of Leah’s sandwiches.

‘Oh. Thanks.’

‘Seems like we’ve been separated all evening.’

‘I wonder why! Every time I turn round, some woman is chatting you up.’

Hugh was secretly pleased at her concern, but retorted: ‘You can talk. You and Tony looked pretty cosy when I saw you.’

She stuck her tongue out at him. ‘Actually Tony was talking about Beth, so I was comforting him. You, however, have got no excuse.’

‘Crikey, are you sure you should sit with me? I might ruin your reputation.’

‘Yes, people will think I’m just another one of your conquests.’

They giggled together and Rachel glanced round the room cautiously to see if they had been noticed. She saw Ceri winking theatrically at someone and tried to see who it was. The only person looking at him was Leah, who was grinning.

‘Shall we get out of here?’ said Hugh in her ear. ‘We could go next door, I’m fed up with worrying about what people think.’

So they sneaked out of the front door separately, hoping no one had noticed, and went back to Rachel’s house.

Much later on, Rachel lay cosily snuggled up to Hugh in her bed. She was so happy that she thought she might burst out singing any minute. He only had to look at her to make her go all giggly and silly and blush girlishly.

‘What was that?’ said Hugh suddenly. They heard the front door opening and heavy footsteps.

‘Hello?’ called Jack’s voice.

‘Sh,’ whispered Hugh. ‘He’ll go away in a minute.’

‘No, I’d better go out there. He might think we’re burglars.’ She put on her robe and went out of the bedroom door.

‘Oh, hey Rach. What’s that burning smell? Is something on fire?’

For a split second, Rachel wondered if he was using a euphemism for herself and Hugh’s recent passion and tried not to laugh: Jack wasn’t psychic! Then she realised. One of the candles she had lit in the lounge earlier- trying to create a romantic atmosphere- had fallen over and the place mat was smouldering. She and Jack rushed round flapping tea towels and opening doors and windows, trying to prevent the fire alarm from going off.

‘What’s going on?’ Hugh appeared wearing just his jeans and Jack’s jaw nearly hit his foot.

‘Oh!’ he said, looking from Hugh to Rachel and back. ‘Er- sorry! I didn’t realise- er- I’ll just go and -’ He hastened out of the front door.

‘Oh dear,’ said Rachel, stopping tea towel flapping for a second. ‘I think our secret’s out.’

Hugh laughed. ‘Good. I’m fed up with sneaking around.’

Despite her happiness, Rachel was still niggled by Ceri and Leah’s apparent closeness. She resolved to tackle him about it.

‘So, you’ll be off back to Johannesburg soon?’ she asked him in the garden the next day. He was setting up the barbecue for the evening, because Jack and Sam were at work.

‘Yeah. I’ll be sorry to go, I’ve enjoyed myself here.’

‘I’ve hardly seen you. You’ve been so busy, surfing or whatever.’

‘Just been relaxing. Sorry if I haven’t gone out with you and Hugh much. I’ll see enough of him when I get back, the old tosser.’

Rachel hesitated. She didn’t know how to ask him about Leah without offending him, but she would never know if she didn’t ask.

‘Do you see much of Leah?’

He paused, with an odd look on his face.

‘Er... a bit. Why?’

‘Oh, I just wondered. She’s such a good friend to me, she’s helped me through so much. I’m so glad she found Dan after she lost Vinny. They are such a strong couple. I don’t think anything could come between them.’ She knew she was babbling, but had so much to say. ‘And Dan is such a good guy. They will be so happy together in America, they are such a devoted couple.’

‘O... kay,’ said Ceri, obviously confused. ‘Er- who’s Vinnie?’

Rachel related the story of Vinnie and what Leah had been through with him.

‘So she really deserves a happy, trouble free life from now on,’ she finished, hoping he’d been listening.

‘Right. Okay.’ He looked even more confused. ‘Should I set up the barbecue here or nearer the house?’

‘I think they usually put it there.’ She helped him set it up and their conversation moved on to other things.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next day, Rachel’s shift ended just before Hugh’s began, which was annoying, but she was getting used to just missing him. At least they had spent the morning together: that was something. She met him in the corridor, just as she was leaving the hospital, and arranged to meet up the next morning.

‘See you about ten tomorrow then,’ he said. He looked so much less severe these days, and much more prone to laughing and relaxing, she thought affectionately. Just a few days go, she had never imagined that all the pieces of her life would have slotted into place so perfectly: she was so happy!

She looked shyly backward at him, but he’d already hurried off to start his shift. Never mind. She glided across the car park, skipping inside, glowing with joy.

Suddenly heavy footsteps came up behind her and someone grabbed her. She was flung to the ground and slapped hard in the face. Her attacker had a hood on but she couldn’t see his face because the lamp above her car had been smashed.

‘How stupid I am!’ flashed through her mind. Thoughts of Hugh had distracted her from taking the usual precautions and she’d forgotten about the attacker. She couldn’t scream because he had his hand over her mouth, but she struggled and kicked out at him.

‘Bitch!’ he growled, twisting her arm painfully, but she managed to bite his hand hard. He yelped with pain and lifted his hand for a second. Rachel screamed at the top of her voice until he shoved some old bit of cloth in her mouth.

‘I’ll show you!’ he hissed evilly, throwing himself on top of her.

Rachel struggled even more desperately- she couldn’t fight him off, she was at his mercy!

Suddenly the attacker was dragged off and thrown on the floor against a car.

‘Get off her!’ yelled Hugh, towering over the prone figure. He grabbed him by the collar, lifted him to standing and threw him away like the rubbish he was. The attacker got up and staggered away.

Hugh knelt down and carefully helped Rachel to sit up. She cried with relief.

‘I thought he was going to kill me! Or rape me,’ she wept as Hugh held her tightly.

‘Lets get inside,’ he helped her walk to the hospital entrance, where everyone hurried to their assistance. Rachel was whisked away to a free room while Hugh got involved with the capture of the attacker.

Eventually Hugh got away from all the activity. He stood at the door of Rachel’s room watching Julie carefully clean the wounds on Rachel’s face.

‘Would you like to do this?’ asked Julie. He hadn’t realised that she’d seen him. ‘I’ll leave you to it,’ she smiled, drifting away.

Hugh was across the room in one step, put his arms around Rachel, and she melted against him.

‘Thanks for saving me,’ said Rachel at last, in a small voice. ‘How did you know I was in trouble?’

He shrugged. ‘Dunno. I just did.’

‘Did they catch him?’

‘Yes. Someone heard you screaming and the security guards were already after him. So he won’t hurt you again.’

‘I’m so relieved you’re safe, Rach!’ exclaimed Leah at their first meeting after the attack. ‘I was so upset when I heard! What sort of man could do that!’

They were at Leah’s house. Rachel had fancied a little walk out, as it was daylight. Hugh had accompanied her there, but then gone off to start his shift.

‘I know. I was so, so frightened, Leah. Thank God Hugh was there. He saved my life.’

‘Aw...I’m so glad you two are together at last,’ said Leah. ‘I knew you liked him better than Ceri.’

‘Er- yes. We’re happy.’ Rachel was so afraid of blurting out her thoughts.

‘You don’t sound too keen,’ Leah was amused.

‘Oh, I am. We're very happy.’

‘Are you sure?’

‘I’ve just got other things on my mind.’

‘Wanna talk about them?’

‘I’m- well- I’m a bit worried about Ceri.’

‘What’s the matter with him?’

'Oh- nothing’s the matter, I just don’t think he’s the person I thought he was.’

‘I think he is. You’re underestimating him, Rach.’

‘Am I?’

‘Yes! What is wrong with you today?’

‘I don’t approve of men who have affairs with married women. Sorry.’

‘Has he then? It must have been when he was much younger.’

Rachel was puzzled and relieved.

‘I think he’s been very considerate lately, very selfless and romantic-’ Leah stopped guiltily.

‘What do you mean?’

Leah blushed. ‘Don't be angry, but Ceri and I have been-’

There was a knock at the door and Belle came in.

‘Is Drew here?’ she asked hesitantly. ‘He was supposed to meet me at the surf club-’

Suddenly Drew galloped in, out of breath.

‘I tried to call you! Why is your phone off?’

‘Its not!’ Belle retorted.

‘Oh come on! We’ll be late for the party if you don’t-’

Squabbling and bickering, the couple hurried out of the front door, calling good bye.

‘Young love,’ laughed Leah, ‘I’m so glad I’m past that.’

‘Anyway, you were saying?’ said Rachel anxiously.

‘Oh. Yes. Ceri and I realised that you and Hugh needed some- er- privacy, encouragement, whatever- to get together. He said he noticed the first time at that meal with Sam and Jack, that you just lit up when Hugh walked in. So we made all these plans to leave you alone as much as possible. Didn’t you wonder why Ceri kept getting called away when you’d made arrangements together?’

Rachel paused.

‘Honestly, Rach, didn’t you suspect anything? I know it sounds really silly after you’ve been attacked like that, but we meant well.’

‘Leah, I- I thought you and Ceri were having an affair.’

‘An affair?’ Leah frowned.

‘Sorry. But you and Ceri have been- seemed- very close lately.’

Leah looked incredulous, then burst out laughing.

‘Rachel! That’s crazy! Why would I cheat on Dan? You are funny sometimes.’

‘I’m so sorry, but it did look like it. Sorry.’

‘Gosh, I dunno. Silly billy.’

‘You’re not upset with me?’

‘Hm, I’ll have to see. Perhaps if you come and keep me company sometimes, stop me from getting lonely while Dan’s away, I might- MIGHT- forgive you.’ Her teasing smile told Rachel that she wasn’t really offended, and their long standing friendship was not damaged.

Rachel got over the attack very quickly, thanks to all the support from Hugh, Sam and Jack, Ceri, other friends at work and home. The knowledge that the attacker was safely in police custody also helped enormously. He was a cleaner at the hospital who had developed a fetish for terrorising women. She didn’t even know him, so was reassured it was nothing personal: he was just a troubled and disturbed individual.

‘I hear you and Leah have been matchmaking,’ said Rachel to Ceri the next day, with a twinkle in her eye.

‘Oh. You found out, did you?’

‘It was a very kind thought. Thank you.’

‘You’re welcome.’ Ceri looked distinctly uncomfortable.

‘I did wonder why you and Leah were always together.’

‘We weren’t always!’

‘I meant: that it seemed that whenever I went into a room, you two always stopped talking, and you were always whispering together. I thought you were having an affair.’

‘I wouldn’t have an affair with a married woman! That’d be terrible!’

‘No, I was so relieved- I mean, I didn’t think you would-’ she stopped. Ceri was blushing as only blond people can- all over his face and neck and up into his hair. She felt bad that she had embarrassed him. Did this mean-

‘Its alright to have a crush on her though, innit? Stupid, I know.’

‘A crush?’

‘Its all your fault, woman. You put the idea in my head. Questioning me about whether I liked her or not.... I dunno...!’

‘Oh, you are sweet!’ She gave him a big hug and they laughed. ‘Don’t forget she’s happily married though, as I said.’

He tutted and rolled his eyes at her. ‘Give me some credit, please.’

There was a cough behind them.

‘Something you two want to tell me?’ asked Hugh amusedly.

‘Nothing you should worry about,’ replied Rachel.

‘Come on then. Let’s go to work. Catch you later, mate.’ Hugh whisked Rachel off towards the car.

The next day was the last one of Ceri’s holiday, and Hugh and Rachel were going to drive him to the airport. He was sad to go after the action packed fortnight.

‘Is it always as dramatic as this in Summer Bay?’ he asked at his farewell party at the diner.

‘Pretty much,’ laughed Rachel as she stood cuddled up to Hugh.

‘Wow. St Johannes will seem like a library compared to this.’ He gave Sam a hug, then Irene and Colleen, who were both overcome. Irene fanned herself with a napkin, Colleen had to sit down on a chair.

‘Take care mate,’ said Tony, clapping Ceri on the shoulder in a manly way. ‘Safe trip.’

Lucas did the same, as did Jack and Ric.

Lastly, Ceri hugged Leah.

‘I think our matchmaking went well,’ she laughed.

‘Yes, you two have been like our fairy godmothers,’ said Hugh, trying to keep a straight face. ‘We’d never have made it without you.’

‘Who you callin’ fairy godmother? Cheeky blighter,’ said Ceri.

‘Yes, in your case, its more like fairly annoying.’

‘Get away with you.’ Ceri pushed him aside and picked up his rucksack.

‘Oh come on,’ said Rachel. ‘He’ll miss his plane.’ She took them each by the arm and they went off towards Hugh’s car together.

Nearly four months later, Rachel woke up with a start. She couldn’t remember her dream but it had been a strange one and upset her. Although she had been upset for a few days now, because next week Hugh’s work in Summer Bay would come to an end.

The last few months had been like paradise. All the obstacles to them being together were no longer there and they had simply had fun and happy, special times. She felt tears in her eyes and looked across at Hugh, sleeping soundly on his back next to her, his arm over his face. He hadn’t bothered going back to his place in Yabbie Creek much since they got together, just for clean clothes and odd things he needed. So the nights he stayed at Rachel’s house had become more and more frequent. At the moment, Jack and Sam were spending a lot of time looking for their own house, so Rachel and Hugh had lots of privacy.

Thinking back on all this, Rachel was devastated he was leaving so soon. She cuddled up to his chest but this seemed to make her more tearful instead of less, and she was soon crying. What’s the matter with me, she scolded herself. It’ll put him off if I’m too clingy and weak. So she lay there, trying to keep her crying silent and make the most of being close to him before their time ran out.

She became aware of his hand stroking her hair and looked up to see him smiling at her.

‘Morning,’ he said quietly. ‘Hey, what’s the matter?’

‘N- nothing.’

‘Come on, you're crying. Its not nothing.’

‘I’m alright.’

He raised an eyebrow.

‘I’m just sad that you’re leaving. I’ve been so happy since you’ve- since we’ve been together. I just don’t want it to end.’

There was a pause. He still stroked her hair, but didn’t speak. Thoughts rushed through Rachel’s mind. What was he thinking? Was he about to end it between them? Had it just been a fling? Did he have a girlfriend in Johannesburg? She tried to keep calm.

‘I don’t have to go,’ he said at last.

She sat up, hoping her tearstained face didn’t look too awful. She was surprised to see that he looked a bit emotional too.

‘I could find a way to stay. They like my work at the hospital, I’m pretty sure. I could find out if there's any jobs going, or I could... Sorry, I’m rambling aren’t I?’

They exchanged smiles.

‘No, no, I’m glad you think- well- I didn’t want to pressure you.’

‘You couldn’t- you wouldn't be pressuring me. I want to stay with you.’

She cuddled up to him again, happily.

The day passed thoughtfully. Rachel and Hugh discussed various plans in between working, cooking, eating etc. But Rachel was still worrying: she couldn’t trust that everything would be alright. She must keep her emotions under control- they were really running wild these days.

By next morning, they had made all the important decisions. Hugh would ask at the hospital about permanent jobs. If there weren’t any, he would look around for jobs in the surrounding area, so then at least he’d be in Australia. It was a definite plan. Rachel still had something to ask him though. She chose her moment as he was making cups of tea for them both, and Jack and Sam were out.

‘So whatever happens, you are coming back to Summer Bay?’

‘Well, its a nice place, good weather, friendly people. Might as well.’

Rachel’s face fell.

‘Hey, I’m only joking. Of course I’m coming back! To be with you. You know that. What’s the matter?’

‘Its- don’t be shocked- I didn’t mean to-’

‘What? What’s wrong?’ His face was full of concern.

‘Well.’ She took a deep breath. ‘I’m pregnant.’

His expression changed from concern to shock, but he did not answer her.

‘I didn’t mean- it wasn’t- I’m not trying to trap you-’

He still said nothing.

‘I want to keep this baby. I’ll raise him or her on my own if you don’t want to be involved-’

‘Rachel! Of course I want to be involved.’ He stepped quickly to her and put his arms round her carefully. ‘God... a baby! Are you sure? Sit down.’ He ushered her to the sofa.

Rachel laughed with relief. ‘I’m not an invalid.’

‘No, but you can’t be too careful.’ He was suddenly smiling so broadly that she felt like singing. They sat together in silence for a few minutes, then he got up to finally make the tea.

‘How many weeks?’ he asked from the kitchen.

‘I think about eight. So about seven months to go!’ Suddenly that sounded scary.

‘I’d better hurry up and get a job here then.’ He looked over and saw her anxious face. ‘Don’t worry, it’ll be alright.’

He brought the tea over. ‘Its a shock, but- my God- a baby!’

‘Are you sure you want this?’ She had become so used to Kim putting off discussions about babies that she couldn't quite believe how relaxed and pleased Hugh was about it.

‘Yes of course!’

‘I can’t believe it’s happened so quickly. We’ve only been sleeping together for a few months.’

‘Ah. Obviously its meant to be,’ he smiled.

‘I didn’t know you believed in Fate,’ she teased. ‘You’re an old romantic.’

‘Sh. Don’t ruin my reputation.’

‘What reputation?’ She was laughing now.

‘As a cool headed, unemotional doctor of course.’

‘Well I’m glad you’re not like that. Or I wouldn’t love you.’ She suddenly realised what she’d said and bit her lip.

‘Oh!’ He sounded surprised. ‘I love you too. What a great day this is.’

She smiled. It was.

************** T H E E N D **************

Comments

Archived