Lincoin Lewis in the big league

Guest bttb-rox!

This is from August 22 but I thought I might as well post it anyway :P.

SOURCE

2003509933021044090_rs.jpg

Being stopped for an autograph is hardly a rare occurrence when you're on a soap such as ratings hit Home and Away.

But Lincoln Lewis admits he was shocked when approached by a fan while walking along a street in his home town, Brisbane, with his dad.

Summer Bay's latest recruit says the encounter was noteworthy for two reasons: it was the first time he'd been recognised by a fan; and it was the only time his celebrity has eclipsed that of his old man.

As the son of rugby league legend Wally Lewis, Lincoln is used to autograph-hunters approaching his family.

But previously they had always wanted time with the sporting great.

"That's never happened to me before, especially in Queensland where my dad is really well known," Lewis says. "It was really funny."

Lewis says he is close to his family and the hardest part about taking the role in the hit drama was that he had to move to Sydney.

Adding to the stress was his father's continuing health problems.

Wally, known in league as "the King", had brain surgery in February after suffering two seizures while presenting Channel 9's Brisbane sports news.

Lewis says both his parents are supportive of his chosen career path.

Lewis, who is also a talented sportsman, flirted with the idea of following in his famous father's footsteps.

"I've played rugby league since I was in school, but there came a point where I had to decide whether to focus on rugby or acting," he says. "I couldn't keep doing both. I can't turn up to work on the set covered with bruises."

Before landing the role of Geoff Campbell, Lewis auditioned for the roles of Ric (which went to Mark Furze) and Drew (Bobby Morley).

But Home and Away is not his first big gig. His first starring role was in the horror movie Voodoo Lagoon alongside former Home and Away star and Bec Hewitt's ex, Beau Brady, Neighbours star Natalie Blair and It Takes Two series one winner Erica Heynatz.

The film went straight to DVD, but wasn't a completely wasted venture for Lewis because he had to act a love scene with supermodel Heynatz in the film.

Not bad for his first major role.

Lewis is not the only member of his family in the entertainment industry. His brother, Mitchell, is an aspiring filmmaker. The Lewis boys hope to work together on a film one day -- Lincoln as the lead actor and Mitchell behind the camera.

Lewis says there may even be a cameo in it for their old man.

"I reckon he'd make a good actor," he says.

Archived