Spoilers

Guest kerrnatalie7

Correct me if im wrong but Pepper hasnt been around that long on Neighbours has she? whats the point in accepting a role just to quit it? I know thats how it works sometimes leaving one show when something better comes along but still... I would stay a couple of more years to build up more of a character before leaving then the viewers would appreciate it if i ever returned

The point is to show what she can do as an actress and to be seen in order to get the better offer, so I guess it's worked for her. She's already made a good and strong impression as Pepper Steiger, so it's probably best that she moves on so that we remember her like this, and she's not in danger of become stale and repetitive, either in fiction or reality. It sounds like she's made the right choice, and I respect Neighbours for letting her go.

Correct me if im wrong but Pepper hasnt been around that long on Neighbours has she? whats the point in accepting a role just to quit it? I know thats how it works sometimes leaving one show when something better comes along but still... I would stay a couple of more years to build up more of a character before leaving then the viewers would appreciate it if i ever returned

Good point, because otherwise the character's previously good name gets destroyed by the writers so that they can hastily bring in a poorly disguised clone to replace them.

Spades of fun for Whelan

Daily Telegraph

July 14, 2007 12:00am

IT'S not uncommon to shed a tear when leaving a job, but who better to have on hand to cheer you up than US funnyman David Spade?

The Just Shoot Me star jetted in to Melbourne yesterday to support his "good friend" Nicky Whelan on her last day of Neighbours.

Spade was due to film a cameo but a delay in securing his work visa meant his visit was merely off screen.

"I decided to come anyway and popped in to see what all the fuss is about," he said.

Whelan was released from her contract to pursue work overseas and travel with Spade.

0,,5566510,00.jpg

Let me get this straight. A famous American TV and movie actor needed a work visa - which someone screwed up in getting - to do a guest appearance in an Australian soap... and because he didn't have a Visa, even though he'd arranged to go to the set in Melbourne and did go there anyway, he was not permitted to film because he didn't have a piece of paper saying that he could.

What, was there an Australian international film star who's job potential needed to be protected by the government for that particular episode of Neighbours?

I've probably got that backwards - it's probably something from America to avoid Spade doing a tax dodge (as if no one would know that he'd appeared on TV and therefore couldn't find out that he'd been paid for it...) but I'm so sick of all the red tape in the world. Does anyone wonder what the world must have been like when you could just go where you want and do what you want and all the qualfication you needed was the fact that you actually had the ability to do it?

Archived