Unbreakable Love

Guest HeavenForbid

Chapter 11

The ambulance arrived and Jack was rushed to hospital. Beth and Tony were in the ambulance with him. The doctors were trying there best to take care of him. Tony was sickened with worry. What was wrong with his son? They arrived at the hospital and Jack was taken away. Hours had pasted and still know news. Rachel walked out of the room.

“What is wrong?” Tony asked

“We have taken some tests. But, it will be a while before it is clear what is wrong” Rachel answered

“What do you mean a while?” Beth asked

“About 3 days” Rachel replied

“What!?! That is crazy! My son is ill and everyone knows it and now we have to wait 3 days to find out what is wrong!” said Tony annoyed

“Calm down Tony. There is nothing that I can do about it. We have done all we can at the this moment in time” Rachel asked

Over the next few days, Martha had become so stressed out. She needed support with the baby from Tom but wasn’t getting any. Surely, this stress was not goood for her or the baby. Martha had become very tired and went to bed. Tom was watching the TV. During the night, Martha started to get stomach pains. She woke up and tired to go to the bathroom but couldn’t move. The pain had gone right up her back.

“Tom!” she called

Tom had been asleep. He rolled over in the bed and got up

“Huh?” he muttered

“Something isn’t right!” Martha cried

“What do you mean?” Tom asked waking himself up

“With the baby. I need to see a doctor” Martha wept

She was in agony. Tom managed to get her down stairs when he handed her a glass of water. But, Martha couldn’t hold her. Her hand was staking and the glass broke on the floor. This caused Sally and Alf to wake up. They went down stairs and into the sitting area where, Martha was crying and Tom was clearing up the glass.

“What is going on?” Sally asked

“Sorry, the glass fell” Tom said

“How?” asked Alf

“It was my fault.” Martha answered

“Martha, what is the matter?” Sally asked

She went over and sat beside her

“She is pregnant and she thinks something isn’t right.” Tom replied

“I know something isn’t right” Martha said coldly

“Well, let’s get a doctor to see you then” Alf said

They all went and got into the car. The pains started to get worse. It felt like someone was stabbing her over and over again. They reached the hospital. Martha was seen to when they arrived. Sally, Tom and Alf waited. After a while, they were called in to the room.

“I have some news” the doctor said

“What is it?” asked Sally

“I am afraid that Martha has lost the baby” the doctor replied

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO” Martha screamed and started to cry

Tom went over and hugged her. Sally and Alf were devastated

The next day, Rachel walked into Jack’s room. She was not looking forward to delivering the news that she had to Jack and his family. Jack seemed to be happy and was chatting away to Tony, Beth and Lucas when he arrived.

“Hello Rachel” he smiled

“Hi Jack” Rachel said and took a deep breathe

“So what’s up with Jack” Tony asked

“Well, we have discovered that Jack has cancer” Rachel said

“No! No way!” Tony said and started to cry

Jack has stopped listening from then on

“Yes, I am so sorry. This would explain why he has been vomiting the last few weeks” Rachel said

“What kind of treatment will Jack be but on?” Beth asked

“That is another thing. The cancer has spread to his lungs. Chemo may not be able to get rid of it at this stage. However, if you start treatment today, it may. The odds are 60/40. 60% change that it will not work. 40% that it will” Rachel said

“I can’t believe this” Tony said

“I will let you guys talk it over with Jack and see what he wants to do” Rachel said and left the room

“I don’t want any treatment” Jack said

“What! You have to!” Tony replied

“Why! I am going to die anyway. You heard Rachel. Only 40% that I will survive!” Jack said

“Jack - ”

“No, dad! I will not be having treatment and that is the end of the story” Jack answered

Chapter 12

Over the next couple of days, Martha was struggling to move on from the lost of her baby. Tom also was. He and Martha had started to fight more and more. Jack was trying his best to not let Martha find out. He was thinking about getting the treatment. Tony and Beth were worried sick about him. He had way to much pride. Tony wanted his old son back. Jack knew that this was crushing Tony inside.

“Jack? You awake?” Tony asked as he walked into the room in the hospital

“Yup” Jack said

“Here, got you this” Tony smiled handing get a bag

“What is it?” Jack asked

“Open it” Tony replied

Jack opened the bag. In it was a photo album with pictures of Jack, Tony, Lucas and their late mother Kate.

“Thanks dad” Jack said

“No problem.” Tony answered

There was an awkward silence that followed while Jack looked at a picture of the whole family on holiday when Jack was only about six or seven.

“I want to get start the treatment” Jack said after a while

“What?” Tony said stunned

“I want to be here for you and everyone. I am 24. I have my whole life ahead of me. I want to have kids. Get married” Jack said

“Oh, Jack! I am so happy” Tony smiled

Martha walked into the kitchen. It was a mess. Nothing was done and Tom was sitting on the sofa watching TV and drinking beer.

“Didn't think of cleaning up after yourself?” Martha snapped

“I will get around to it” Tom said

“Tom, this isn’t my house. A 4 year old girl lives here as well as 4 other people. If you make something, from now on, clean up after yourself” Martha yelled and walked out of the room

Tom followed her as she walked up the stairs

“Where are you going?” he asked

“Getting dressed and going to the hospital” Martha replied and walked away

“Don’t walk away from me!” Tom said getting angry

Martha didn’t listen. She walked into the bedroom and slammed the door shut. Tom got so annoyed. He walked up the stairs and into the room where Martha was picking out clothes to wear.

“What do you want?” Martha asked

Tom walked over to Martha. He had a evil look in his eyes. This wasn’t the man that she had fallen for a few weeks ago.

“Don’t ever speak to me like that again” he spat

“I can talk anyway I f*cking want and - ”

Tom walked over and smacked her across the face. Martha started to cry. Tom looked at Martha. Martha looked at her face in the mirror. She turned around

“I am not one of these women that stick with there partner after they hit them and they promise to never ever to do it again” Martha began “I want you out of this house and never ever come back again”

Martha walked past him and into the bathroom with her clothes. She got into the shower and started to think. She sat on the shower floor and sobbed to herself. After a while, she got out of the shower. Tom was gone. He had left a note

My dearest Martha

I am so sorry about what I did to you. I never meant to hurt you. You made me realise that you deserve someone a lot better than me. You are a fantastic woman and you deserve to be happy and have the best life. You have been threw so much since I have known you. I want you to be happy. I hope that you can find happiness with that special man, whoever it may be. I will always think about you and hope that you are safe and happy. Lots of love, Tom xxx

Martha smiled. For some reason she thought of Jack as the one that can make her happy. She finished getting ready and headed off to the hospital. She walked past Jack’s room. He was sleeping. She walked into the room and stared at him. She didn’t even know that Jack was in hospital. Jack started to stir. Martha turned around and started to walk out of the room

“Martha?”

Martha turned around. Jack was sitting up and smiling

“What are you doing here?” Jack asked

“Oh, just a check up” Martha smiled

“Are you sick?” Jack asked

“Oh no, Em…I was pregnant. But I lost the baby” Martha said trying to hold back the tears

“Martha, I am so sorry” Jack said

Martha walked over and sat beside him. It had been so long since they were civil to each other.

“Why are you here?” Martha asked

“I am sick, Martha. Very sick” Jack said and started to cry

“What? What do you mean?” Martha asked panicking

“Cancer…” Jack replied

“Oh my god” Martha said and burst into tears. She stood up and put her arms around Jack. They both sobbed into each others clothes.

“I love you…” Jack said

Martha looked at him. She smiled

“I love you too” Martha replied

She leaned in and kissed him.

“I want to be with you threw everything” Martha smiled

They were back together again. But would it be forever?

Chapter 13

Weeks pasted and Jack was getting his treatment 4 days a week. He became very tired because of it. Martha would often bring him to the beach where they would sit and have a picnic or just chat about anything. Jack loved being with Martha again. Martha was a lot happier with him.

“Jack?” Martha called from the living area

“Yeah, I am nearly ready” Jack answered back

Martha waited while Jack came into the living room. He had a hospital appointment and Martha offered to bring him today. Jack walked out. His face was pale and you could see the weight loss also. Martha helped him put on his coat and they got into Martha’s car and drove off to the hospital

“How do you feel today?” Martha asked

“I am ok. Just worried. I don’t know what they want. I mean, saying that it was necessary to come today, must mean that it is important” Jack replied

“Well, we are about to find out” Martha smiled as she drove into the car park

Rachel came out and helped Martha bring Jack into Rachel’s office.

“Hello, guys” Rachel said while she searched for Jack file.

“Why did you want is to come here?” Martha asked

“Well, I have soon news” Rachel answered

“Good or bad?” Jack asked

“Bad, I am afraid…” Rachel replied

“Well, tell us then” Martha said

“Jack that treatment hasn’t been working” Rachel said

“What?” Martha said and started to cry

“I am so sorry. You have been receiving treatment for nearly 6 weeks now and it just hasn’t been working” Rachel explained

“What if you get him to get treatment 7 days instead of 4” Martha suggested

“There is only so much chemo the body can take in a week, I am afraid” Rachel answered

“So what does this mean?” Jack asked “Will I live?”

“Well -”

“Yes or no!” Jack replied annoyed

“No, you have lost so much weight and the treatment hasn’t had a good response with you body so I am afraid that answer is no… I am so sorry, Jack” Rachel replied

“How long do I have?” Jack asked

“I would say less than 6 weeks” Rachel answered

Jack and Martha left the hospital. The journey home was quiet. Nobody spoke. Jack was going to die and there was nothing anyone could do to stop it. When they arrived home, Jack went into his bedroom. He didn’t want to talk to anyone. Martha was left to tell Tony, Beth and Lucas

“Oh my god!” Beth said and started to cry

“No! No!” Tony replied refusing to believe it

Lucas couldn’t speak. Martha walked into the bedroom where Jack was sitting in his bed. Martha sat beside him and they cried in each others arms

“I love you Martha” Jack said

“Jack, I love you too” Martha sobbed

Jack got up of the bed and kneeled down on one knee

“Martha, I know that we don’t have a lot of time left, but I love you. I don’t want to leave here without you being my wife. Will you marry me?” Jack asked

“Yes! Jack! Yes!” Martha smiled

Jack put the ring on Martha’s finger and stood up. He grabbed Martha and kissed her.

Chapter 14

Martha and Jack decided to get married on June 20th 2007. That meant that they had just 2 weeks to arrange everything. Tony and Beth were willing to help and as there was so much to do, Martha and Jack asked them to help. Everything was ready for the big day. The night before, Martha and all the girls in Summer Bay were going to be having a hen’s night while Jack and all the men would be having a bucks’ night. Jack was getting ready in his bedroom when Martha walked in

“I can’t believe at this time tomorrow, I will be Mrs Martha Holden” Martha smiled and put her arms around Jack

“I can’t believe it either” Jack said and kissed Martha

There was a knock on the door. Martha went out to answer it. Jack followed. It was Tony, Peter, Lucas, Dan and Brad

“Time to go!” Brad grinned

“Where is everyone else?” jack asked

“At…It’s a surprise” Lucas replied

“Ok, well…you make sure, that Jack will be there tomorrow” Martha said

“I will, you have no worries” Jack said and kissed Martha

All the boys left. Martha waited until all the girls arrived. There was another knock on the door. Martha opened the door.

“Hello, are you Martha Mackenzie soon to be Holden?” the man asked

“Yes, that is me. Why?” Martha asked

“This is for you” he said and left

Martha took two dozen of roses of the man and a card. She opened the letter and started to read it

Dear Martha,

When, we first met, I knew I was going to marry you. And now that day is nearly here. I know that we have had our ups and down along the way but in the end, I knew that we would be together. You are my world, my life, my treasure. I love you always and thank you for standing beside me through everything. Lots of love, Jack xxxx. PS. Please don’t be late!

Martha had tears in her eyes. She could here noises from outside. It was the girls. They knocked on the door. Martha opened it.

“Let the party begin!” Leah laughed

Everyone came into the house. Bottles of wine were opened. Music was playing and people were mingling. After a while, there was another knock on the door.

“Well, Martha. Since this is your last day of being a free women, we got you a present” Irene laughed

Cassie walked out to the door and opened it.

“”Presenting! Mr Stretch!” Cassie announced

“I will leave it up to the imagination to why he is called Mr Stretch” Sally whispered

“Come on, Martha. Sit down here” Colleen smiled getting her a chair

Martha sat down on the chair. The stripper came over to her and started to do his dance routine. After a while, things started to came down. Martha went over to get a glass of wine. At the corner of her eye she could see and hear a drunk Colleen talking to the stripper

“You know. I am a single woman. We could go back to my caravan and have a good time” Colleen said and started to rub his arm

Leah ran over and grabbed her

“What do you think you are doing?” Leah said annoyed “Come on you, time to go home”

Leah grabbed her bag and pushed Colleen out of the door. Meanwhile, the boys had arrived at there destination. They all got out of the van.

“Let’s go!” Ric said and walked into the bar

It was a strip club. Everyone watched as the show had started. All the man stared at the women dancing.

“This is Holden party?”

The men turned around and looked at the woman

“Yes” Peter answered

“Good! Come with me please” she said

All the men followed the woman into a private room with its own bar and pole.

“Have a good night!” the woman grinned and walked out of the room

Peter got the drinks in and the all sat down an enjoyed the show. Jack’s phone went off. It was a message from Martha

Thank you, Jack. I love the flowers. There are lovely. Nothing to worry about, I will be there on time. Just make sure you are! Love you xxxx

Jack put his phone away and sat back and enjoyed the night.

Chapter 15

The next day, Martha was awake at the crack of dawn. She was so excited. Beth, Cassie, Sally and Mattie came over to her house to get her ready.

“Oh! Martha you look amazing” Sally said when Martha walked into the room in her dress

“Your mum would be so proud!” Beth smiled

“The limo is here” Sally smiled

All the girls got a glass of wine and headed into the limo. Over at Tony’s, Jack was looking at himself in the mirror. Tony walked over to him.

“I cant believe it Jack. My son, getting married” Tony said

“I know.” Jack smiled

Lucas walked into the room

“You ready? Car is here” he said

All the boys got into the car and headed to the church. The music started to play and Martha started to walk. Jack smiled as he watched her coming.

“Hi” Jack whispered

Martha smiled

“Dearly beloved, we are here. . . ” the Priest begun

Martha looked at Jack. She started to cry. Today they life was only beginning but soon it was going to end. They didn’t know how much time they had left with each other.

“I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride”

Martha smiled and Jack leaned in and kissed his new wife. They started to walk down the aisle when Jack stopped.

“Jack!” Martha said

Jack had fell on the floor

“Call a doctor! Call a doctor” Martha screamed

Everyone was worried. Beth called Rachel over. Tony called an ambulance

“Please Jack. Not now! Not yet” Martha sobbed

Chapter 16

The ambulance arrived and Jack was rushed to A & E immediately. Martha, Beth, Tony and Lucas all headed off to the hospital. Sally, Ric and Alf followed them. They were there for about and hour and there was still no news. Martha was so worried. She was still in her wedding dress. Alf walked over and sat beside her.

“I can’t believe this, granddad” Martha sobbed “On my wedding day. This is meant to be the happiest day of our lives”

“I know, love. Jack will pull through. He is strong. He will not leave you here alone” Alf replied trying to be supportive

“I know he is going to dying. He stopped the treatment a while ago. It wasn’t helping him get better” Martha answered

“Oh, love! I am so sorry. I didn’t know. I thought that he was still getting treatment” Alf said

Rachel came out of the room. She walked up to Martha

“He is awake. But, he hasn’t much time left. Maybe you should go and say your goodbyes” Rachel said

“Tony you go first. I want to go last” Martha said

Tony, Lucas and Beth walked into the room. Martha sat back down

“Dad” Jack smiled

“Jack, I love you” Tony said and started to cry

“Please, dad. Don’t. You have Lucas. He will be like me! Will always be causing trouble, isn’t that right” Jack laughed

“Yup, sure is” Lucas said with tears rolling down his face

“Beth, when we first came to the Bay, I didn’t think I dad would meet someone so like my mum. When he found you, I was delighted. You have been a mum to me and Lucas and I love you. Make sure you take care of him in his old age” Jack laughed

“Don’t worry, Jack. I will” Beth cried

“No parent should have to see their child die before them” Tony cried

“Well, you never know what you are going to get in life, do you?” Jack answered

Everyone hugged Jack. They all walked out of the room crying. Martha walked in and sat beside him.

“I love you, Jack” Martha sobbed

“I love you Martha. You know that you will meet someone knew and they will take good care of you” Jack replied

“No! I am never moving on” Martha answered

“Please, Martha. Do it of me” Jack begged “I love you, and I want you to be happy, so happy. You will have little kids running around and your husband, someone with less working hours than I had anyway,”

Martha smiled

“I knew I would get you to smile.” Jack laughed

Martha leaned in and kissed Jack

“Lie beside me” Jack asked

Martha got up on the bed and lay beside Jack. He held her in his arms

“One day I will join you” Martha said

“Don’t talk that way” Jack said

“You know that I will always love you Jack. I loved you the minute I met you. I will always love you. You mean the world you me. I hope you know that” Martha replied

Martha looked up at Jack. He smiled. She kissed him. His eyes closed. Martha stared at him for a while. Jack was gone. But Martha’s love for him would live on. . .

Next: Last Chapter

Chapter 17

Over the next couple of days, Martha was wondering how she was going to cope life without Jack. On the day of the funeral, she got up, got ready and headed to the church with Tony, Beth and Lucas. Martha got to the church and was stunned to see who was standing on front of her – her younger sister Becky.

“Martha!” Becky smiled “I am so sorry”

Becky ran over and hugged Becky. They both walked into the church. The mass begun.

“Jack Holden was a well respect man in this town. He showed great commitment to his job at the station, his wife Martha and to his family.”

Martha stood up and walked up past the coffin.

“I didn’t think I would ever see the day, at 25 years old saying goodbye to my husband. But nobody knows when we will die. Life is full of surprises and with Jack, I got so many. Meeting him was the best thing that had ever happened to me. I love him so much”

Martha burst into tears. She couldn’t control herself

“If he was here today” Martha continued “He would be saying “Stop acting like cry baby.” I wish I could stop acting this way, Jack. But I can’t. The love of my life is gone forever. But I know that he will be watching down on me and everyone. I love you so much Jack. Thank you for the wonderful life you have given me”

Martha sat back in her seat. Becky gave her a hug. Tony stood up

“You should never have to bury your own son. That is what everyone says, right? Well never in a million years did I think I would have too. Jack was always a model student in school which was great. Yet sometimes he would be in trouble. But that is was all teens are like these days. Jack, we are not going to be the same without you. I love you, son”

Tony walked back to his seat and hugged Martha. The priest finished the mass and everyone headed to the grave yard. Martha sat in silence on the way. She couldn’t speak. She couldn’t describe all the feelings and the thoughts that were in her mind at that moment.

“May Jack Holden rest in peace. In the name of the father and of the son and of the holy sprit. Amen.”

Everyone walked away. Martha stood and looked at the grave stone. It read;

Jack Holden

25th April 1982 – 20th June 2007

Aged 25 years

Loved by his dad Tony, step mum Beth, brother Lucas and wife Martha

RIP

Martha threw a red rose into the grave and said;

"I will always love you and I will make sure this little one will grow up knowing that he/she had the best dad in the world" and she put her hands on her stomach

Martha smiled and walked away from the grave knowing that she would always have a part of Jack in her life – in the presence of their unborn child.

Link to comments thread.

Archived