The End Of The Road?

Guest Lilone

Chapter 11

Dan sat just looking at Pete, he hadn’t moved for over 8 hours. He just couldn’t bare to leave Pete alone, he was scared he would loose Pete as well.

Lara entered the room, “Lara!” Dan said noticing her, “I’m sorry about running out like that yesterday I was just… well I’m scared I really am Dan. I don’t want to loose him,” Lara said with tears building up in her eyes.

“Can you stay with Pete, I just want to give Jack a call” Dan asked getting up from the chair. “Of course” Lara said softly as Dan left the room.

She walked to the side of the bed, slowly reaching for his hand, trying her best to hold the tears back she sat with her hand in his looking at him.

Tears began to fall down her cheek as she held his hand, she couldn’t bring herself round to thinking she may loose him, he meant too much to her.

She moved her hand as she softly touched Pete’s cheek trying to stop herself from crying even more, “See what you are doing to me baker, you have me right where you want me at your bedside” she said with a slight grin.

Belle sat just looking into thin air, going over and over in her head about the times she fought with Drew, the pointless times that lost so many days together, she just couldn’t believe Drew was gone.

Belle got up and left the house slowly walking but she didn’t know where she was going.

Belle was dragging her feet, deep in thought about Drew as she walked further towards the road where Drew died. Walking even slower as she began to have flashback of seeing Drew lying in front of her dead. Tears ran down her face as she remembered hearing the paramedic telling Dan he was dead.

Leah saw Belle crying as she walked over with flowers, Belle turned still crying not being able to cope with Drews death. Leah pulled her into her arms as Belle cried even more. “I can’t live without him” Belle said to Leah.

Leah just held Belle in her arms, she didn’t know what to say. Ever since the accident she hadn’t been able to show how she had really felt and holding Belle as she looked at the place where she died, the tears streamed down her face.

Lara sat still holding Pete’s hand as she looked at him lying in a coma. Dan walked in the room quiet, holding back his true feelings.

- - - -

Pete kissed Lara goodbye, all he could think about was her and how happy he was, he ran over to his car and started up the engine and blowing Lara a kiss through his wing mirror. She blew one back, watching him drive towards the car auction.

All the way to the car Auction, Pete couldn’t help but smile. He was so happy, he was in love again and he had the most amazing son.

- - - -

Belle and Leah walked in to the hospital together, Leah had suggested that if Belle saw Pete it might help her in some way to know that the pain Pete will go through when he wakes will be the same as what she is going through now.

Slowly walking towards him, not knowing what to do except looking at Pete lifeless in front. Lara left the room so Belle could be alone, “I can’t believe he’s gone Pete, I’m so sorry I wish that I would have been in that car instead of him. I just wish things were different” Belle said before breaking down besides Pete’s bed.

It had been three with since Drew’s birthday and his death, Peter was still in a deep coma. Dan had barely left his bedside and so hadn’t Lara.

Leah and Dan were sat by Pete’s bedside with Lara who got up leaving the room.

As she headed out of the room, she walked out of the hospital with a scared look upon her face.

Lara entered Pete’s flat for the first time since Drew died, she looked around at all Pete’s things, crying at the thought of not being with him again.

She headed into the bathroom bracing her self to find out something that could change her life forever.

Looking down at the pregnancy stick that showed positive, she cried in shock.

Walking back into the hospital still trying to come to come to the terms of the fact she was pregnant, Lara headed straight to Pete’s room. Walking over to his bed and reached for his hand. She held his hand tight looking at him, “Pete you have to wake up, please your going to be a dad. I need you to be here with me” she said loudly still looking at him.

She leaned towards Pete, kissing his head softly but jumped back as she saw Pete’s eyes open…….

“Rachael quick” Lara yelled racing out of the room towards her.

Rachael ran into the room checking Pete, Lara stood back smiling, as Pete eyes were open.

Dan entered the room, “What’s going on, is he ok?” he asked frantically running to the bedside.

Rachael took both of Peter’s hand as she looked at him, “Pete its Rachael if you can hear me, squeeze my hand”

Pete moved his eyes looking over at Dan and Lara as he squeezed Rachael’s hand.

“It’s a good sign” Rachael said looking at Dan and Lara.

Pete let out a small smile as Dan and Lara walked over to his bedside.

For the next hour, Pete was drifting back sleep then waking up again. He woke up again to find Lara, Dan and Leah standing by his side.

He reached for his oxygen mask, pulling from his face as he muttered, “where’s Drew?” Dan’s faced dropped as he looked over at Lara who just gave him a blank look.

Lara took one of Pete’s hands holding if tight, Dan cleared his throat looking at Pete, “I’m so sorry” he said holding back the tears.

“What do you mean, you’re sorry?” Pete said looking at him then at Lara for an answer.

As Dan tried to speak it felt as if he had lost all of his speech, he couldn’t bring himself to tell Pete, “Dan?” Pete asked starting to get worried.

“The accident…. Pete, when we managed to break Drew free, it was too late. I’m so sorry” Dan said finally managing to tell Pete.

Tears slowly fell down Pete’s cheek as Dan looked at him but Pete began to close up, “Get out now” he demanded holding his chest in pain.

Dan, Leah and Lara looked at him shocked, “I’m not leaving you like this” Dan said trying to calm Pete down.

“I have lost my son now just leave me alone” he shouted that loud, Rachael entered and suggested for him to be left alone.

They all left the room leaving Pete crying as he couldn’t believe Drew was gone.

Three days later Peter was still not letting anyone come and see him, he couldn’t take anyone seeing him like this. Every time Rachael tried to talk to him, he just pushed everyone that tried to help him further away.

Lara walked into the hospital heading straight for Pete’s room, she walked in looking at him, he turned his head looking away from her not making eye contact.

“You are going to listen to me weather you like it or not” Lara shot at Peter walking towards him.

“Pete I’m sorry that you have lost Drew but why are you pushing us all away, we loved Drew as much as you do. You can’t just shut us out like this. I love you Pete and hate seeing you like this”

Pete lifted his head looking at her not knowing what to say, Lara too his hand and held it until she saw tears building up in Pete’s eyes.

“I’m so sorry” Lara said leaning towards him and hugging him.

“I just… I just want my Drew back,” Peter said crying into Lara’s arms.

For the next fifteen minutes Pete just cried into Lara’s arms hating himself for buying Drew the car, he kept thinking if he hadn’t had brought him a car then Drew would still be here.

Dan entered the room watching Lara hold Pete, Lara gave Dan a slight smile as she saw him by the door.

He walked further in the room quite just looking at Pete, “Hey mate”

Pete wiped his tears from his face looking at Dan,

“His funeral?” Pete said looking at Dan.

Dan cleared his throat, “it’s in two days”

The room went quite again, looking back at one another not knowing what to say, Lara wasn’t sure if it was the best time to tell Pete about the baby she just didn’t know how he’d react with it being so soon after Drews death.

The Final Chapter!

All of Drews friends and family were gathered in the church to say one last goodbye, Pete had been allowed out of hospital for the funeral under supervision from Rachael because he was still in a serious condition.

Dan stood up walking to the front to say a few words, “Standing here saying goodbye to my nephew, it just doesn’t seem real…. When he first came to the Bay he didn’t want any family but after time he knew that we loved him and nothing was going to change that he was a Baker, we love you mate” Dan said with tears in his eyes.

-----

Lifting up the car bonnet and looking at the paper in front, they slowly reached in looking at the brake pads. Stumbling back and looking around to make sure no one was watching, they cut the brake pad in half before shutting the bonnet and staggering away from the car.

-----

Pete was wheeled up in his wheel chair, “Andrew Curtis, he hated Andrew, he thought it was a old man’s name. After all those years, finding out I had a son. I was shocked but the first day I saw him I knew he was mine. He was just like me, Stubborn and headstrong. It’s funny because last week we were talking and he told me he wanted to be Baker… He knew that he was a Baker and that’s what he wanted.

My son Drew Jacob Baker. I love you so much” Pete said breaking down and crying.

The service had finished and everyone was making there way outside when Pete looked in front shocked, Christy Curtis stood crying.

Pete went over to her reaching for her hand as he said, “I’m so sorry”

Pete reached into Lara’s bag for a tissue when he pulled out Lara’s pregnancy paper results as well as a tissue.

Pete took a glimpse shocked but pushed the paper into his pocket as he handed Christy the tissue.

----

Racing back to the house looking over their shoulder, knowing that doing what they did would teach Pete a lesson for hurting them

-----

Christy had walked off upset, to upset to stay and Pete still was confused about the paper he had in his pocket.

Everyone was looking at Drews grave as Drews coffin was lowered, everyone had tears in their eyes still not wanting to believe he had gone.

Pete and Lara were left by Drews grave to say one last goodbye, Pete looked up with a slight smile as he said, “Drews going to have a brother or sister”

Shocked Lara looked at him, Pete gave her the paper with a slight smile as he took her hand.

----

Slowly rising her hand holding it as the pain thumped she began to remember the night before, her face dropped as she remember what she had done.

-----

“Goodbye Drew” Pete said tearfully.

Amanda raced through everyone as she ran towards Pete, crying and shouting out his name…. Lara turned her head looking back at her.

Lara expected Pete to say something but he didn’t. Amanda finally reached the grave, upset racing towards Pete who didn’t even turn to face her.

Amanda broke down in tears, dropping to the ground shouting, “I’m sorry”

“Pete” Lara shouted at him but he wasn’t moving.

By this time Dan, Leah, Belle and Rachael had ran over wondering what was going on.

Lara ran over to Pete looking at him sitting lifeless in the chair, “Peter” she shouted crying, trying to wake him up.

Rachael ran over looking at Pete, feeling for a pulse. Dan looked at Amanda then at Pete who wasn’t speaking or moving.

Rachael slowly lifted her head, “I’m so sorry”

Dan broke down crying frantically shaking Pete to wake up but it was no use… he was gone.

Amanda sobbed on the floor, repeatedly saying “i'm so sorry”

Pete’s body just sat lifeless as everyone looked at his lifeless body just sitting in the chair.

Lara, Dan and Leah sat at the house silent in shock looking down at the Local paper which headlines read, “Wife charged on two counts of manslaughter for son who died instantly and father died after three weeks suffering an embolism”

The town stood in shock, revealing from the news of the deaths. Summer Bay would never be the same.

Belle had moved into Irene's trying her best not to think about her mum who killed two people because she was drunk and couldn't bare to see the man she loved with another woman.

9 months later, Dan and Leah looked on as Lara held her baby boy twins, Peter and Drew who were three weeks old.

- The End -

Link to comments thread.

Archived