What Hurts The Most

Guest Tasha

Topic Title:What Hurts the Most

Topic Description: Jack and Martha, with Sam and Ashton

Type of story: Short/Medium Fic

Rating: T: Teen content. Mild or suggestions of adult content or themes.

Main Characters: Jack and Martha

Genre: Drama, Romance

Warnings: Sexual Content

Is Story being proof read: Yes

Summary: Jack and Martha are dating Sam and Ash respectively, but one night changes their whole life. Martha gets pregnant and moves to New York, leaving Jack behind. Will Jack ever meet his baby boy? Read to find out

Alright, so im bored outta my brain, and i decided to start another fic. Ive been meaning to start it for a while, but yeh, now i will :D Its of course a Jack and Martha one, but Sam and Ash are also in it. Its a short fic, im going to try finish it within 10 chapters. First chapter will be up sometime by the end of the day :D

Basically, the first chapter is Martha having a baby, and then the second chapter will go back 10months to where it all began, and will reveal the father of the baby.

Chapter 1

Child birth is probably one of the most painful, yet wonderful experiences in a woman’s life. It is a time that brings in a bungle of joy into one’s life, but also a time that should be shared with the one you love. However, for Martha, this wasn’t the case. He wasn’t there for her, to hold her hands, to tell her to breath and that everything will be alright. No, he wasn’t, but there was one person with her whom she was thankful for, her mother, Ruth. Yes, Martha is in New York and she is in labour.

“Just one more push Martha and it will all be over,” the Nurse said to her, while Ruth was holding Martha’s hand, playing the role that the father should be playing. Giving a final push, a loud wailing sound filled the room. He was here, her last connection to him.

“Congratulation Martha, you have a beautiful baby boy,” the Nurse said as she passed the infant to his mother. Martha let the tears fall down her already wet face. These tears were tears of joy, due to the gorgeous baby that lay in her arms, and of sadness because of the fact that he wasn’t there to share this with her.

“He has the nerve to knock me up, but not to be here for the birth of his first child,” Martha cried to her mother, half-an hour later as she sat back in her hospital room watching her baby sleeping in a small crib, “Where is he mum? He said he’d be here but his not. I hate him. He’s probably with his stupid wife and their children. He doesn’t care about me or this baby.”

“He will be here, sweetie, don’t worry. I called him before you went in, and he said he’ll try catching the next plane up. Sydney is 19hours away from New York, and we didn’t give him much notice did we?” Ruth said, as she passed her daughter a glass of water, watching her wipe away the tears. She hated seeing her daughter hurting and decided to change the topic. “He’s beautiful isn’t he? He has your bright blue eyes. I’m sure when he grows up; he’ll be a heart breaker, just like his mother and father.”

“Haha! Shut up mum. He has his father’s mouth though, and nose. He looks just like his father,” Martha said with a sigh. Why were you so stupid? She thought to herself. Why did you have to let him go? He wanted to be with you, but you pushed him away, you pushed him to her, and now he doesn’t care about you.

“The new mum up for visitors?” a tall, dark hair man asked, standing at the door with a bouquet of lilies in one hand and small blue teddy bear in the other.

“For you Josh, always” Martha replied with a huge smile on her face, as she gave her best friend a kiss and a hug. “They’re beautiful, and his first teddy. Thank you.” Josh and Martha had a small fling the first time Martha visited NY a few years ago, before moving to the Bay. But now he was her best friend, and he helped her with all the birthing classes and took her to all her ultra sound appointments. Josh knew Martha wasn’t looking for a relationship and respected her wish, so he offered to be her best friend, and they have been inseparable since.

“He looks just like his father, but with your beautiful eyes,” Josh said as he watched the baby sleep, and leaving Martha to blush lightly. “Have you thought of a name yet?”

“Yep, Jayden, or Baby Jay. We talked about it, and agreed on this name. I quite like it; it’s cute, just like him.” Martha said while gushing over her son, who had now woken up and was lying on her bed between her and Josh. She admired the way Josh handled Baby Jay, but secretly wished that her son’s father was sitting opposite her instead.

Thanks guys for the comments. And once again sorry but the confuzzlment :P Ummm...thankies to Becky for proofing for me :) Wells heres the next chapter. Its short, and well most of the chapters will be short, so yeh :) Enjoy

Chapter 2

10 months earlier

It was a warm summers evening, and Noah’s was swarming with people enjoying nice cold beverages and the company of their family and friends. Martha was working behind the counter serving cold beers and cola’s, and watching her boyfriend mingle with her ex-husband and his new girlfriend. Her life was going great. To Martha, Ashton was everything she could ever want, well except for Jack. Deep down she still loved him, but they were both with other people and happier with them than they had been together since after their wedding.

“It’s starting to quieten down,” Beth started, interrupting Martha’s thoughts, “so why don’t you go join them?” Martha smiled at Beth, giving her thanks and headed over to Ashton, Jack and Sam, with 3 beers and a Cola in her hands. Placing the drinks on the table, Martha gave Ashton a small kiss on the cheek and sat beside him. The four of them were enjoying their drinks, which continued to come in for Jack and Martha, sharing stories and having good laughs, until Ashton’s phone went off. It was Rianna, who no-one knew about, saying that Declan has come down with a fever and she needed Ashton home. So he made up an excuse about having to go help his sick Mother in the City, and left, leaving an almost drunk Martha and Jack with Sam.

After about another half hour, Sam had already left, having to go pick up Rory from a friends place, leaving a now very drunk and happy Jack and Martha. The two were joking and laughing at each others silliness, caused by the excessive amount of vodka and beer they had consumed. Eventually the pair decided to call it quits and head home. Jack offered to walk Martha home, since it wasn’t safe for a young woman to be walking alone, especially if she was drunk. Stumbling up the stairs to the Diner Apartment, where Martha lived since Brad moved in with Sally, Jack and Martha continued to laugh and slur every word they said. After several attempts to open the front door, the pair finally made it inside. Falling onto the couch, they tried to stop their laughter. After a while, they finally stopped and were sitting on the couch trying to control their breathing.

“Thanks,” Martha whispered while laying her head on Jack’s shoulder, with his arms around her holding her close. She felt comfortable and safe, something she missed dearly about Jack.

“What for?” Jack asked, gently lifting Martha’s head of his shoulder so he could get a better look at her. Gosh, I can’t believe what an idiot I was to let her go, Jack thought. I should never have treated her like that, she deserved none of it. Now you’ve lost her, and you’re never going to get her back.

“For everything,” Martha whispered as she leaned up and gave Jack a soft but passionate kiss on the lips. Pulling away quickly, Martha sat on the other side of the sofa hanging her head in embarrassment. Did I just do that, she thought to herself. Oh god, are you stupid, you don’t just go kissing you ex-husbands, especially if you’re in a relationship with someone else, as is he. Stupid, stupid, stupid girl. But to Martha’s surprise, Jack leaned over to Martha and placed a kiss on her lips one that she returned and extended with no hesitance. They were not sure whether it was the alcohol that was doing all the kissing or not, but they knew one thing for sure, it was something they’ve both wanted for a real long time. Just as Jack started to make his way down Martha’s neck, she pushed him away gasping for breath. But taking a look into Jack’s eyes and as if knowing what he was thinking, Martha stood up, and taking Jack’s hands, led him into the bedroom for a night of passion and love.

THanks for the comments guys. Heres the next chapter. Enjoy!!

Chapter 3

It was early the next morning, 7 o’clock to be precise, and Jack was laying in Martha’s bed, eyes wide open and his estranged wife cuddled in his arms. If was just like the old days, waking up every morning to see his wife sleeping peacefully while he quietly crawls out of bed, trying not to wake her up, so that he could get ready for work…work… “Oh crap” Jack cursed quietly as he crawled out of Martha’s bed, looking for his boxers which were placed on the other end of the bed. Martha started to wake up and was shocked to see Jack’s bare behind in front of her, and laughed as he struggled to pull his boxers on.

Jack spun around, once he finally got his boxers on, at the sound of Martha’s giggle.

“Sorry, did I wake you?” Jack asked as he began buttoning his shirt up. Martha just let out a small sigh as she wrapped the sheet around her.

“I guess old habits never die,” Martha said with a small laugh as she remembered all those mornings Jack tried not to wake her up but always failed miserably. “You have work?”

“Yeah, I start in an hour and I need to get home and get ready,” Jack started as he finally got his trousers on, “sorry, but can we talk later?” Martha nodded in agreement. Pulling her night robe on, she followed Jack out to the front door and said goodbye after Jack placed a small kiss on her cheek. Martha then made herself a coffee and sat on the couch reminiscing the previous night’s events. I can’t believe I slept with Jack, she thought to herself. And he just left like that. What a jerk. As much as I enjoyed last night, it’s just wrong. I know you still love Jack, but you with Ashton, OMG Ashton. I totally forgot about him. And Sam; she seems like a real nice lady and I go sleep with her boyfriend. When did my life get so complicated? Martha asked herself letting out a low groan.

Jack walked in the station, rubbing his templates and also letting out a low groan. Sitting on his desk, he placed his head in his hands and just enjoyed the sound of quietness.

“Big night?” Lara asked letting out a small laugh as she witnessed her colleague rest his eyes on the desk. Making a cup of coffee, she walked over to Jack and placed it down next to him.

“You could say that,” Jack started before taking a look at the coffee that he desired for. He had run out at home and didn’t have time to go to the diner, so to him he was in heaven. “Thanks Fitzy. Remind me never to drink so much again.” Lara rolled her eyes and walked back to the main desk, just as Ashton walked in.

“Good morning all. What a fine day to fight crime.” He said all chirpy like. Jack and Lara looked at each other curious as to their colleague’s behaviour.

“You seem happy, how’s your mother feeling?” Jack asked.

“My mum? Oh my mum, yeh she’s better. Was just a small tummy bug, but she is fine now,” Ashton lied and Jack detected this but chose to ignore it. “How was last night?” At that moment, Jack felt a sudden rush of guilt. He slept with his best mate’s girlfriend last night, but he couldn’t tell him that. When did my life get so complicated? He thought.

“Yeh, it was alright. We left pretty much after you, so you didn’t miss out of much.” Jack lied. Two can play at this game, he thought with a smirk.

Later that day, Jack was still sitting on his desk with his head in his hands. However, this time it wasn’t because of the excessive amount of alcohol he consumed the previous night; it was because of the amount of paperwork he has been doing all morning, and the boredom that was starting to affect him. At that moment, the phone rang, and Lara answered it. A couple of minutes later, Lara and a few other officers, not including Jack and Ash, began to run out of the station.

“Hey,” Jack said as he grabbed Lara’s hand, “what’s going on? Why can we go wherever you’re going?”

“It’s nothing-”

“No it’s something, tell me what’s going on,” Jack demanded. Lara could see the concern in his eyes and felt she should tell him.

“There’s been a hostage taking situation at Noah’s Bar and Martha is being held-” But before Lara could finish her sentence, Jack and Ashton were running out of the station and on their way to save the woman they love.

Next chapter

- will Martha be alright?

Thanks you two. Well here the next chapter, its just been sitting on my comp, so i might as well just post it. Thanks to Becky for being my proofy. enjoy!!

Chapter 4

Jack and Ashton ran into the surf club to find a bunch of people sitting on the floor huddled on one side, some children there too with tears running down their faces and a scared look present in their eyes, and on the other side of the room was a tall man wearing a balaclava and holding Martha in his arms with a knife in his hand held at her neck. Jack could see the fear in Martha’s eyes, the two blue eyes that were staring back at Jack, begging him to get her out of there.

“Let her go!” Ashton demanded breaking the silence that fell in the room. Both Jack and Martha’s eyes darted to Ashton and he stupidity.

“Oh, so this must be the boyfriend then?” the man asked a now terrified Martha. Jack quickly grabbed Ashton and moved away from the bar so that he could talk to him and come up with a plan, but not until he scolds him.

“What the heck were you thinking?” Jack hissed, “Are you trying to get her killed, are you really that stupid, didn’t you learn anything at Police College?” Ash apologised and asked if there was a plan to get Martha out. And at the moment Jack formulated one in his mind, and made his way back into the Bar where the balaclava man was still holding Martha. It was as if he was just planning on playing with her emotions, now knowing that Martha’s boyfriend was also in the room. Martha on the other hand, just stood there partly furious at Ashton for putting her life in even more danger, but still continued to look at Jack, waiting for him to give her some sort of sign that everything will be ok.

Jack continued to stand by the door staring longingly into Martha’s eyes, thinking about the self defence lesson he taught her, and he slowly let a small smile slip that only Martha could see. Martha then smiled back at Jack to let him know that she knew what he was thinking, and after Jack gave a small nod of approval, Martha prepared herself for something she’d thought she’d never have to do in her life. Turning her gaze to the man with the balaclava, then back to Jack, Martha finally got the courage to beat the guys butt. Making her first move, Martha stomped on the man’s foot, causing him to drop the knife on the floor, and then elbowed him in the stomach, making him crouch over in pain, and finally grabbed his hair and kneed him in the groin, which resulted him lying on the floor yowling in pain. Then Martha kicked the knife out of the man’s reach and ran to Jack’s arms, where she always felt the safest.

Ashton looked confusingly over at his partner holding his girlfriend in his arms, before turning his attention over to the balaclava man who was still lying on the ground in severe pain. Ashton quickly handcuffed him and took him to a police car that was waiting for him. Watching two of his colleagues drive off with the criminal in the backseat, Ashton walked back into the Bar to see Jack and Martha still standing in the same position. Annoyed now that his girlfriend chose her ex for comfort over him, Ashton made his way over to the pair and tapped Jack on the shoulder.

“I can take it from here.” Ashton said as-a-matter-of-factly.

“Yeh sure, sorry,” Jack said as he moved away from Martha, who was now looking at the floor, slightly blushing.

“Thank you,” Martha said looking back at Jack, “for everything. Oh and Sam was here earlier. I think she might still be here.” Martha added as she turned her eyes to Sam who was sitting on the couch looking over at the three. Jack followed Martha’s gaze and signed, noticed the annoyed look on her face.

“Alright, thanks,” Jack said as he started to walk over to his girlfriend. Turning around again, he added, “Promise me you’ll go home and relax?” Martha nodded and turned her attention back to Ashton.

Jack wandered over to Sam and sat beside her, placing a small kiss on her cheek.

“Hey, I didn’t know you were here, I-” Jack started, and a very annoyed Sam interrupted him.

“Of course you didn’t notice me. You were too busy comforting Martha. You know she does have a boyfriend who can take care of her; you don’t need to be there all the time. You have new priorities, other people to think about. Martha’s your past, Rory and I are your future, so please think about us first next time.” Sam said. Jack looked at her with his shocked face; he couldn’t believe she just said that. However choosing not to pick a fight with her, Jack just agreed with her saying that he’ll put Sam and Rory first. Happy with this decision, Sam gave Jack hug, but his eyes and thoughts were still on Martha. What am I going to do? He asked himself letting out a small sigh.

Next Chapter

- Jack and Ashton have a fight

- Jack and Martha talk

Thanks guys for the comments. Heres the next chapter. Just please dont hate me kz. It will get better next chapter, promise Enjoy!!

Chapter 5

Later that afternoon, Jack was sitting at his desk writing up a report of the hostage taking. Jack left the Surf Club soon after Sam’s little speech. He was a little annoyed at what she had said and wasn’t in the mood to be around her, so he made an excuse about having to write a report and headed back to the station. Ashton still hadn’t come back, so Jack assumed that he was still with Martha.

After finishing the report, Jack was standing at the main desk talking with Lara, when a very annoyed looking Ashton walked into the station.

“What the hell is your problem mate?” he yelled as he stormed up to Jack who had an amused look on his face.

“I’m not quite sure I’m the one with the problem here,” Jack said before turning to Lara and shared a laugh with her. But as he turned back, a furious Ashton’s fist flew straight into Jack’s face causing him to fall on the floor, and just missing the desk by millimetres. Jack remained on the floor nursing his eye, which was probably on the verge of turning purple or black, and in total shock.

“Nadar, what was that for?” Lara yelled as she went over to Jack and helping him up into a chair.

“He’s sleeping with my girlfriend!” Ashton yelled out which caught the attention of the station. Jack’s eyes darted straight to Ashton. He couldn’t believe what he just heard. Oh God, does the mean Ashton know about last night, Jack wondered to himself. Martha wouldn’t have told him, she’s not stupid. Well I better say something, otherwise I’ll look guilty. Jack could feel all eyes in the station burning into him.

“I never slept with Martha, I would never do that to you or to Sam,” Jack lied. God, I hope he believes me, I don’t think I can handle another punch, even though I totally deserved that. Fortunately for Jack, Ashton did believe his story, and held out his hand to help Jack up.

“Then why was it that Martha ran straight to you after she got free and why was it that she would only look at you?” Ashton asked.

“Mate, you don’t know her like I do. No-one knows her like I do. She has been through a lot in her past, since from when she was a child. And the Corey incident a couple of years ago didn’t help one bit. And I was the only one who was able to help her and get her through the pain she was suffering. I taught her those self-defence moves, and that is why she was looking at me. She needed to know that it was safe to use those moves. As for why she ran up to me, I don’t know, I guess it was just a force of habit.” Jack said with a simple shrug. Ashton just stood there is shock. He never knew how close Jack and Martha were, nor did he know about Martha’s past. Ashton apologised profusely, and then followed McGrath into his office. Boy was he in trouble. McGrath had also let Jack take the rest of the day off to get his eye checked, which Jack was happy about.

Fifteen minutes later, Jack waltzed into the Diner, happy that he got the rest of the day off, and made his way to the counter.

“OMG, Jack what happened to you eye?” a frantic Colleen asked, before running to the freezer to get him an ice pack. “Here put this on,” passing Jack the pack with a towel wrapped around it. Jack thanked Colleen and ordered himself a coffee, before turning around to find Martha looking at him with deep concern in her eyes.

“Did Ashton do that to you?” she asked as she pulled Jack into a booth at the back of the diner. Jack watched Martha as she gentle placed the ice pack on his eye, trying not to hurt him. Jack’s silence was a clear indication to Martha that she was right.

“I don’t believe him. He had no right to do that.” Martha said starting to get all worked up, and Jack could sense a long rant coming on.

“He didn’t hurt you, did he? And Martha I don’t want you to lie to me,” Jack said. Martha let out a sigh, telling Jack that Ashton never laid a hand on her in a bad way.

Martha and Jack were now walking on the beach talking about life and the days events, but were avoiding the topic of last night. Both knew that they needed to talk about it, but neither knew what to say. Jack couldn’t handle the silence anymore and felt that something needed to be said.

“Martha, we need to talk about last night,” he said turning his head from looking at the ocean to looking at Martha. She nodded in agreement. She was glad he brought it up, because she was too scared to. Noticing Kim further up on the beach, she knew they couldn’t talk about it there.

“Let us go somewhere more private,” Martha said as she stood up, grabbing Jack’s hand and pulling him along the beach. As if they knew what the other was thinking, they headed up to their cliff, the one where they shared their first kiss, to talk about their future.

Jack and Martha were now sitting near the edge of the cliff, but not too close due to Martha’s phobia of heights.

“Look Jack, last night was not meant to happen. We were both really drunk, and we both know that we never think straight when we are under the influence. So I think it’s best if we just keep it to ourselves and make sure that no-one finds out, especially Ashton and Sam. It would devastate them.” Martha said watching Jack nodding his head in agreement.

“And I think we should stop hanging out too much. It’ll be the best for both our relationships. Ashton already thinks we’re sleeping together, and I did promise Sam that I’d protect her and Rory. It will be hard, but we can’t let something like last night happen again. Agreed?” Jack said.

“Agreed,” Martha replied with a small smile. However, on the inside they both knew this was not the way they wanted to end their friendship. But they both had other people to think about now, and they couldn’t let their feelings for each other get in the way. Then Jack’s phone started to ring; it was Sam asking if he could come over. Jack had no choice but to say yes, telling her that he’d be there in 10 minutes. Turing back to Martha, Jack took Martha into his arms and whispered to her, “take care of yourself, Martha” before kissing her on the cheek and walked off to meet his girlfriend. Once Jack was out of sight, Martha allowed for the tears, that were pushing to come out, flow freely down her face, as she sat on the cliff hugging her legs. When did my life become to suck this much, she asked herself, oh that’s right, the day you left the only man who could only ever love you and no-one else.

Thankz all for the comments. Tiff looks like you wish is coming true. You got you update ASAP :P Enjoy!! Oh and i did say it gets better this chapter, but after this not so much :P Oh wellz

Chapter 6

It has been 2 months since that day on the cliff. Jack and Samantha’s relationship had become really strong over those past couple of months. So strong, that Jack had asked Samantha and Rory to move in with him at the Bachelor Pad. Much to Rory’s delight, Samantha agreed and the pair was moving in at the end of the week. Martha, on the other hand, was not as happy. Things were going great with her and Ashton, but if he was not working, he was always in the City. She rarely got to see him, but she chose not to complain. The time that they did get to spend together, Ashton treated her like a princess and showered her with gifts and love, something she knew she’d never be able to return. And that was because there was only one man she knew she could ever love, and that was Jack. Over the past couple of months, Martha rarely saw Jack. There were the few occasions where she’d be working at Noah’s in the evening and Jack would come in after a long day of work, but most of the time Samantha was with him. Martha really missed Jack’s company. He was the only one person that she knew she could tell anything and knew he’d hold it in confidence. She trusted him with her whole life, which made the past two months even harder.

However, one morning all that changed. Over the past couple of weeks Martha had been feeling nauseous in the mornings and throwing up on a regular basis. Luckily for her, she lived alone so she never had anyone telling her to go see a doctor, but Martha had a gut feeling she knew what was wrong. So one morning she went to Yabbie Creek shops and bought a pregnant test.

Martha was know sitting on the cold tiles in her bathroom, tears flowing down her face as she looked at the pink line staring right back her.

“I’m pregnant,” she whispered to herself. “I’m having a baby. I’m having a baby. Oh God, I’m having a baby.” Martha had finally realised that she was actually carrying, or will soon be carrying a person inside of her. The thought excited, she was going to be a mother. She was finally getting her wish to start a family with the man she loved…Oh crap! Jack, she thought, I’m carrying his baby, but I’m dating his best friend. I have to tell him, I have to tell him now.

Twenty minutes later, Martha walked into the Cop shop and wandered over to the front desk to where Lara was standing, looking through some folders.

“Martha, this is a nice surprise,” Lara said taking in Martha’s pale appearance and puffy red eyes. “Ashton isn’t in at the moment.”

“Oh, actually I’m here to see Jack, is he in?” Martha asked quickly.

“Umm…he’s actually with someone in the interview room, you could-”

“No, I need to see him now. Could you please tell him it’s important?” Martha asked, her eyes pleading with the Constable standing in front of her. Lara let out a small sigh and told Martha to sit down while she went to get Jack.

Walking into the interview room, Lara meandered over to Jack, who was looking at Lara with a confused expression on his face.

“Martha’s outside. She wants to talk to you now. She said it’s important and she looks like she’s been crying,” Lara whispered in Jack’s ears. Jack turned to face his colleague with great concern in his eyes. He abruptly ended the interview and walked out to see Martha sitting on a seat with her head in her hands. Jack kneeled down next to Martha and took her hands in his, making Martha look up at him.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Jack asked quietly, wiping away a tear that escaped Martha’s eye. “Did Ashton hurt you?” Martha shook her head.

“Jack, can we talk in private?” she whispered so that only Jack could hear. Jack nodded and led Martha into Peter’s empty office, telling Lara to make sure no-one came in.

Jack turned around to see a frantic Martha pacing back and forth in the office. Jack took hold of Martha’s hands again and sat her down on the desk while he stood next to her.

“Martha please, just calm down and tell me what’s going on,” Jack said with a hint of worry in his voice. Martha looked into his eyes, and realised that what she was about to say would change his life forever. Martha quickly jumped off the desk and moved away from Jack, and then the words just started to flow out of her mouth like running water.

“I’m so sorry Jack. I didn’t mean for this to happen. It wasn’t meant to happen like this. Things were meant to be different. When we got married, I pictured us sitting at a candle-lit dinner when I told you this. But I understand if you don’t want anything to do with us, because you have Samantha and Rory to worry about. And they are moving in with you and you’re becoming a family, and I just don’t want to be a burden on you, and I know I probably shouldn’t tell you this, but I have to. You need to know and well I want you to know -”

“Martha, slow down, what are you talking about -” Jack suddenly stopped in his tracks. She can’t be, can she, he asked himself. “You’re pregnant, aren’t you?” Martha slowly nodded her head, unable to look in his eyes. Jack walked up to Martha, using one hand to lift her head up, and the other to wipe away her tears, before taking her into his arms and held her tight, never wanting to let go. It was as if all his dreams had just been answered, and he couldn’t be happier. But now there were a few small problems that needed to be taken care of.

Aiite, so this is probably the most crappest chapter ive ever written, but oh wellz. Thanks for the comments. Enjoy!!

Chapter 7

Jack and Martha were still in Peter’s office, with Martha sitting on the desk and Jack standing in front of her, with one hand on her stomach and a big smile on his face.

“I can’t believe we’re actually having a baby,” he said as he watched Martha laugh.

“Yeh, it is quite weird. We separated 5 months ago, we are both seeing other people, and yet we still manage to have baby together.” Martha said letting out a small sigh. Jack looked at Martha with curiously. Was she really going to stay with Ashton, Jack thought to himself, I mean if she’s carrying my baby I don’t want another man raising it, but then again its not like Ashton would stay with her, would he? Well there is only one way to find out.

“Martha, are you going to tell Ashton?” he asked. Martha turned to face him, quite shocked by his question.

“No, I don’t plan on telling him about the baby,” she said watching Jack turn away, obviously hurt by what she said, “but that’s only because I don’t want him to hurt you again. Jack, he punched you when he thought we were sleeping together, I can’t imagine what he’d do if he found out you lied about it and also got me pregnant. But I don’t want you to worry about Ashton; I’m going to break up with him today. And Jack, I don’t want you to tell Samantha either. You’re becoming a family with her, and you seem so happy, I want you to be happy, and I know that you’ve been the happiest with Samantha than you were when we were together.” But before Jack could say anything, Lara opened the door, telling the confused pair that Ashton and Peter were on their way back into the station.

So agreeing to meet up later to finish their talk, Jack and Martha walked out of the office to find Ashton standing at the door looking at his girlfriend and best friend in disbelief. He couldn’t believe that Martha really was cheating on him, especially with Jack, the man she left to be with Ashton.

“You slut!” he yelled to Martha, attracting everyone in the stations attention. Martha, however, stayed near Jack, tears falling down her face. She was afraid that Ashton might hurt her and she couldn’t let anything harm her baby.

“Mate, it’s not what you think,” Jack said, “and don’t you dare call her that. Can we all please just talk about this like civil people?” Jack grabbed Martha’s hand and led her back into Peter’s office, and waited for Ashton to follow.

“So do you care to share with me why Martha is here with you?” Ashton demanded to know. Now Martha was angry. Ashton treated her like she belonged to him, and that most certainly was not the case.

“Excuse me, but I have every right to hang out with who ever I want, even if it’s Jack. And there are things I can tell him that I can’t tell you or anyone else for that matter. And I needed to talk to Jack about something important, which includes you,” Martha said. Jack just looked at her wandering if she was going to break up with Ashton now, and noticed Martha give him a small nod, as if she knew exactly what he was thinking. Martha then turned back to Ashton who was waiting impatiently and with an annoyed look on his face from the little speech that Martha had just given.

“Ash, these past few months have been great, but I don’t think I’m ready to be in a serious relationship just now. I have a lot of things going on in my life, and I don’t this a relationship is going to help. I’m sorry,” Martha finished, with a small sigh, before farewelling Jack and Ashton and walked out of the office. She didn’t stick around because she wasn’t in the mood to listen to Ashton beg and plead for her to change her mind, and she also had a baby to think about, meaning a nice, big meal at the Diner.

Meanwhile, back in the office, Ashton was still standing in the same spot with a shocked look on his face, while Jack had an amused look on his face. Neither of them could believe that Martha had just walked out like that. Jack let out a small laugh and walked out of the office, followed by a furious Ashton. But before he could blow up at Jack, McGrath called Ashton into his office.

Now in the interview room, it was McGrath’s turn to have an angry look on his face, while Ashton had a scared look on his face.

“While you were talking with Martha and Jack we received an interesting call from your wife, Rianna, asking to tell you that your daughter, Jessica, is really sick and she needs you help at home,” McGrath said as he watched Ashton’s scared look turn into a guilty look.

“I…umm…” Ashton started but couldn’t get the right words. McGrath just rolled his eyes. He couldn’t believe Ashton could use Martha like that, and Jack as well. McGrath knew that Ashton was part of the reason why Martha and Jack separated in the first place; he knew that those two were very much in-love and saw how devastated Jack was.

“Save it Nadar, you have been transferred back to the City and you are to leave today,” McGrath said firmly, “And your lucky no-one is going to tell Jack, because I know how he feels about Martha, and I don’t want to see either of them get hurt, especially Martha. Now go pack you things and please leave.” And with that, Ashton left the interview room, told Jack that he was moving back to the City and to tell Martha that he was sorry, and with that Ashton walked out of the station and out of their lives.

Worst exit Sian?? I dont know, but i gave her an exit, you can judge whether its bad or not :P Anyways, thanks for the comments. Heres a new chapter. Enjoy!!

Chapter 8

Martha arrived at the diner, ready to eat into something big. She hadn’t eaten all day and she knew it wasn’t good for the baby. Martha still couldn’t believe she was going to have a baby. Growing up, she always wanted to meet the man of her dreams and have four children, 2 boys and 2 girls. And now her dream and finally come true, well almost; in 7 months she’ll give birth to her first baby. But the one thing that didn’t come true was that the man of dreams wouldn’t be with her, instead he’ll in the arms of another woman.

Martha’s thoughts were disrupted when Irene approached her taking her order, where which she asked for a burger with the lot, chips and a large coke cola. Colleen, who was standing at the coffee machine, eyed Martha suspiciously wondering why she had just ordered such a big meal. Maybe she’s pregnant, she thought noticing a difference in Martha’s appearance. Martha felt Colleen’s eyes burning into her and gave her a smile, causing Colleen to run into the kitchen. Martha rolled her eyes and sat patiently waiting to be fed.

Samantha walked into the diner and noticed Martha sitting by herself in a booth, so she made her way over to her. Martha looked up to see who the shadow that fell upon her belong to her, to see Samantha standing in front of her with a smile on her face. She was definitely not someone who Martha’s wanted to see at that moment, but she decided to be nice to her, since she will most probably end up being her baby’s step-mum.

“Hey Martha, how are you?” Samantha asked while taking a seat opposite her nemesis. Martha was shocked by Samantha’s actions, but chose to ignore it. Colleen came over with Martha’s lunch order, and placed it in front of her, where which Martha started to dig into her chips straight away. Samantha watched Martha in amazement. She had never seen someone eat so much, well not a woman at least. Men did it all the time. Martha looked up to see Samantha watching her, and put her chips down, slightly embarrassed.

“Sorry, I haven’t eaten in like a day, and I am really hungry. And well hot chips are my weakness, especially these ones. You want one?” Martha said holding out a chip to Samantha, who politely decline. There’s something different about her, Samantha thought, I wonder if…nah, she can’t be.

“So how are things with Ashton going?” Samantha asked, wanting to know if Martha will ever get in between her and Jack. Martha looked up again at Samantha, but this time she had a different look on her face, a happy look, which made Samantha relax a bit, but was shocked when Martha said that they broke up, explaining that she wasn’t ready for a serious relationship, basically the same mumbo jumbo she fed Ashton earlier that day.

“So how are you and Rory?” Martha asked, trying to play nice, but really did not want to know. But she couldn’t help but feel jealous when Samantha went on about how excited Rory was to move in with Jack, as was she, and how much they both love Jack. Martha just smiled and nodded as Samantha went on and on as if she was trying to rub it into Martha’s face that she got the perfect relationship, and Martha has now got no-one. Gosh, I hate her, Martha thought, Jack must really love Samantha, and me being here isn’t going to help their relationship. I have to leave and I have to leave soon.

After finishing her lunch, Martha walked out of the diner and over to their cliff, the place where she could think and know that no-one could disrupt her thoughts. She had decided that she will leave for New York the following day in the evening, since she had an ultra sound appointment that morning. Martha messaged Jack telling him to meet her at their cliff. She needed to tell him that she was leaving, but she didn’t know how to tell him.

Martha was so lost in her thoughts that she didn’t notice Jack sitting beside her. Noticing the sadness presented in Martha’s eyes, Jack knew at once something was wrong.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” he asked softly, putting one arm around Martha’s shoulders, pulling her into a hug. Martha looked into Jack’s gorgeous brown eyes; she couldn’t believe she was just about to break his heart. She knew he would be hurt, but she also has to make him understand that it’s best for the baby.

“Jack, there’s something I have to tell you, and I want you to promise me you won’t yell,” Martha said. She was shocked when Jack’s moved his arm from her shoulder and stood away moving away from her. Oh my Gosh, Jack thought, the baby isn’t mine. I can’t believe she could lie to me like that. No, of course the baby is mine, she just told me about it this morning, so it has to be mine. What if she’s going to abort it, no she wouldn’t do that. No, I know she wants this baby just as much as I do. Jack turned around to see Martha standing behind him, looking down. Jack used one of his hands to lift Martha’s head up, so that she was looking at him, and promised that he wouldn’t yell.

“Jack, I’m going to New York to live with my mum for the rest of the pregnancy,” Martha said quietly. She could see the shock and hurt in Jack’s eyes, but she continued to talk before he could say anything. “Jack, I know this is late notice, but I need to do this. I can’t stay here and ruin your relationship with Samantha. And I don’t want any stress, and I know I’ll some if I stay here. Whereas, in New York, I will have nothing to worry about, except me and the baby and mum said that she’ll help me with the pregnancy, and I have a lot of friends there as well. And Jack, please do understand that I’m only doing this for the safety of our baby. If I stayed here, who knows what the stress could do, and I really don’t want to loose this baby, it’s all I have left. And I will send you the ultra sound pictures after every check up so you can see the progress of our baby-”

“But it won’t be the same, Martha, it just won’t be the same,” Jack said, finally getting a chance to cut in. He had tears in his eyes. He couldn’t believe Martha was leaving with his unborn child, but she was right, if it was it the best interest of their baby, then he couldn’t, or more, he shouldn’t stop her. Martha wiped away the tears in Jack’s eyes. She hated doing this to him, but it was for the best. Jack pulled Martha into a bear hug and didn’t want to let her go.

“I’ll miss you so much, you know that, both of you,” Jack whispered, still holding her. “And tomorrow, I want to drop you to the airport, please?” Martha smiled up at Jack, and nodded. She wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. Martha also decided that she’d only tell Alf about the baby, since he will find out anyways, and Jack will only tell Tony and Lucas, immediate family only, they both decided.

“Oh, and Jack,” Martha said moving away from him, “will you come to my first ultra sound tomorrow?” Jack laughed, saying he wouldn’t miss it for the world. He then called the station, asking for the day off, and McGrath granted his wish with no strings attached.

For the rest of the day, Jack helped Martha pack her house up and her suitcases for her trip. Martha was going to put the apartment up for lease while she was gone, so she needed to put all her junk into storage. Samantha had called Jack a few times asking where he was, but Jack did not want to leave Martha’s side at all. He only had one more day left with his unborn child and its mother, and he wanted to make the most of it.

Wow, thanks guys for the comments. Well im going to post another chapter coz you guys were all nice :D Sian, this is the chappy you have been waiting for :D Enjoys

Chapter 9

It was 8:55am the next morning; Jack and Martha walked into the hospital, ready for their first ultra sound appointment; ready to see their baby for the first time. Both were really excited and nervous at the same time, more on the excited side though. At just past 9 o’clock, Jack and Martha were waiting in the ultra sound room waiting for their Gynaecologist to come.

“Martha Holden?” a woman asked as she walked into the room. “I’m Dr Summer Cohen, and I will be your gynaecologist throughout this pregnancy.” Dr Cohen then noticed Jack standing near Martha, who was lying on the check-up chair. “And you must be Mr Holden, the husband?” Jack looked at Martha, as if awaiting an answer.

“No, he’s my ex-husband,” Martha said quietly. But not wanting to get into that, she continued on to tell the Doctor about her living in New York for the remaining of the pregnancy.

“Right, that’s fine then. So shall we get started?” Dr Cohen asked, watching Martha give her a small smile and a nod, saying she was ready. The Doctor lifted Martha’s shirt a bit and put some gel on her stomach. Martha winced at the coldness of the gel, but forgot about it when she saw her baby up on the screen. Jack held Martha’s hand throughout the whole check-up, and could not stop smiling when he saw his little baby on the screen, the only time he’ll ever get to see his baby on a screen.

An hour later, Jack and Martha were both lying on Martha’s bed talking about baby names. They had finally decided to name the baby Jayden Anthony Holden, if it is a boy, and Kaitlin Ruth Holden, if it is a girl.

Jack sat up, and moved down to Martha’s stomach, laid down so that his face was near it, and began talking to it.

“Hey baby,” Jack started as he put his hands on her stomach. “It’s daddy. This will be the last time I get to talk to you until you come into this big world. But there are a couple of things I want to tell you before you and your mummy leave ok. Firstly, I don’t want you to give your mother a hard time at all. So that means, no kicking her hard when she’s asleep, because she can be very grumpy when she doesn’t get enough sleep. And if mummy calls me and tells me what a naughty baby you have been, there will be no Christmas presents for you, you understand me. But then there are some time I would like for you to give you mum some kicks, just to remind her that you’re my baby. And secondly, I want you to wait till I get there before you come into this world ok. Because I know your mummy is going to need me, and I want to be there to see my beautiful baby for the first time. And if I don’t make it in time, then when you’re older you can beat me up as much as you want ok. But baby, I want you to know, no matter what, I will always love you and I will always be there for you. I promise I will never miss a single sporting match, or dance recital, I will be wherever you want me to be, because I love you and you are my world. Both of you are, you and your mother. Goodbye baby and I will see you in 7 months.” And with that Jack placed a small and soft kiss on Martha’s stomach.

Later that afternoon, after all of Martha’s possessions were packed away and placed into storage, Jack and Martha were standing at the airport terminal. Martha had about 10 minutes to go before she had to go through the gate and her and Jack was talking.

“Jack, I want you to promise me that you will try work things out with Samantha and you will stay with her. I don’t want you to break up with her just because of me and this baby. I know how much Samantha and Rory love you, and you guys are a great family” Martha said. Jack tried to argue with her, but Martha didn’t want to hear of it, so he said he’ll see what will happen, but he won’t make any promises especially since he’s known to break them. Martha let a small laugh escape and continued.

“And I want you to promise me that you will not worry about me 24/7 and keep calling me. Because Jack I know you, and I know that you’ll probably call me every hour if you had a choice. But I will promise that I’ll call you if anything happens, and also every few days ok. I will keep you updated on the baby regularly alright?” Jack laughed and agreed to this rule.

Martha’s flight was finally called for boarding and Jack knew this was the part he had been looking forward to the least.

“I’m going to miss you so much,” Jack said softly, wiping the tears away from Martha’s eyes.

“I’m going to miss you too,” she replied giving Jack a hug and not wanting to let go. After a couple of minutes, Jack pulled away from Martha, lifted her head up, and planted a long passionate kiss on her lips, one that seemed to last a lifetime, but ended almost as quick as it started.

Martha started walking towards the gate, but turned around when she felt Jack grab her hand.

“I love you Martha. I always have and I always will,” Jack said before placing another soft kiss on her lips.

“I love you too Jack, now and for always,” Martha replied before walking through the gate and out of Jack’s life.

On the way back to his place, Jack made a pit stop at Samantha’s. He took a deep breath before knocking on the front door. He knew what he was about to do was best for everyone.

“Hey, didn’t expect to see you here, come in,” Samantha said moving aside to let her boyfriend in. Samantha looked at Jack and noticed that he wasn’t himself and had a feeling something was up. “Jack, what’s wrong?”

“Sam, I think you should sit. There is something I need to tell you,” Jack said quietly as he moved aside to make room for his girlfriend. “Do you remember a couple of months ago when Ashton, Martha, you and I were having drinks at Noah’s?” Samantha nodded, unsure as to where Jack was heading with this story. “Well after you left, Martha and I got pretty drunk, and I walked her back to her place, and we were talking and I kissed her and well one thing led to another, and well what I’m trying to say is that Martha is pregnant with my baby. But she’s gone to New York to have a stress-free pregnancy, and she told me to tell you about the baby, and that we should try works things out, but Sam, I don’t think I can do that. Today at the airport I realised how much I love Martha, and well I just don’t want to lead you on. Sam, you’re a really sweet woman, and I care about you and Rory a lot, but the truth is, I gave my heart away a long time ago, my whole heart, and I never really got it back. And I know that when I see Martha again, I’m going to try my hardest to work things out with her. I don’t want my baby to grow up without its parents together. So I’m really sorry, but I think its best if we broke up before things got any more serious.”

Samantha remained on the sofa looking shocked. She had questioned herself whether Martha was pregnant by her eating behaviour at the diner the previous day, but she most certainly didn’t expect her to be pregnant to her boyfriend, or ex-boyfriend, since Jack had already made up his mind.

“What will I tell Rory? He was really looking forward to moving in with you. It will break his little heart.” Samantha said, trying to hold back her tears.

“Tell him I’m sorry, but I have a family to think about now, and that he’s a great kid, and deserves a better father-figure than me. And Sam, I really am sorry,” Jack ended before placing a small kiss on her cheek and walked out of door, leaving a devastated Samantha crying on the sofa.

Authors note: I stole the ‘I gave my heart away a long time ago’ line from Sweet Home Alabama, I just love it :P And also, next chapter will go back to the present, which is Martha in hospital with Baby Jayden :D And there are 3 more chapters left, hopefully :)

Archived