Moving On, The Past Is In The Past

Guest dolly-999

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, finaly found time to write the next chapter, hope you like it.

Chapter number 8. Opening up

Next day, Wednesday the 17th of June

Staford walked into his office, he was early today, for once in his life, most of his co workers had already figured out that if they showed up to meetings fifteen minutes late they would get there about the same time as him.

Pulling out his desk chair he slumped into it, he was still half asleep, well he usually was around this time of morning, he'd be awake as soon as the coffee sunk into his system. He took in a deep breath, placing his elbows on the desk and berrying his face in his hands for a second before taking a good look at the pile of paper work sitting on the desk to the side, now he remembered why he was here an hour early.

Taking a sheet from the top of the pile, he began to read through it before he was interrupted by a knock at the door. “Come in” he groaned, it was too early for clients, and he really wasn't in the mood, just like every morning, which was probably why he normally arrived late.

“Well hello to you too sunshine” a familiar voice came from the door.

“Jeff? What the hell are you doing here?”

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

“Good morning” Noah's cheerful voice interrupted Dani's thoughts as he came into the lounge room where she was sitting drinking a cup of coffee.

“Morning” Dani grumbled, “someone slept well”.

“Yeah and I'm guessing you didn't”.

“You read my mind. Oh and um, Peter called, he wants to know if this afternoon is alright?”

“Um” Noah started, it was all coming back to him, he was going to face it, and now there was no backing out of it, not that Peter knew that he was alive, 'I should of kept my stupid mouth shut the other day' Noah cursed inside.

“Earth to Noah” Dani exaggerated, waving her hand in front of his face.

“Yeah” he looked back up at her, so far off in his own world of beating himself up that he'd forgotten what Dani had said before.

“Were you listening to any of that?”

“Sorry” Noah apologized.

“That's alright, what I was saying was that Peter called and wants to know if this afternoon's a good time to give your statement?”

“Um, yeah sure” he lied.

“Noah” Dani started.

“Yeah?”

“Look I know your going to say that your fine, but I know your not, so what's wrong?” she asked sympathetically, letting him know that she only wanted to help.

Noah sighed slowly, she was right, as usual, he wasn't alright, “Look this thing this afternoon is just digging up a lot I thought I was in control of, and that's the truth, honestly”.

“Care to share?” she smiled.

Noah just nodded, “If you've got time”.

“Of course I do, I don't have to be at work for another hour yet”.

“Alright, where do I start?”

“At the beginning's always a good place”.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

“Jeff, just tell me why your here would you” Staford demanded.

“What is that the best greeting you can do? Jeff joked.

“Look I'm serious alright, you weren't supposed to come back” Staford yelled.

“Yeah love you too mate” Jeff answered sarcastically, he wasn't at all happy now, he at least expected some sort of joy from his 'old friend', but now he knew there was no chance of getting any of that. “I'm staying down town, give me a call some time” he snapped, placing a piece of paper with his phone number on it on the end of Staford's desk.

“Don't bother” Staford shrugged before Jeff left through the door and shut it, he had his reason's for snapping at him, his life had almost become normal in the last year, and now if Jeff didn't leave he'd do something he knew his family wouldn't approve of, he couldn't let himself, not while he was still alive and breathing.

“I remember waking up in a coffin” Noah started, stairing aimlessly at the coffee table that was in front of where he sat next to Dani who was watching him, “and this girl was sitting next to me, she didn't say anything, she just swung something from behind me and knocked me out” he explained.

“So that explains why we all thought you were dead, it must have been someone else's body that was burnt” Dani muttered to herself, just loud enough for Noah to make out what she was saying.

“My guess is as good as yours” Noah sighed, Dani just nodded slightly, waiting to hear what happened next.

“The next thing I remember after that was waking up in a shed, and she was there again, said her name was Eve” he continued before being interrupted by Dani.

“What did she want with you?” she asked, she didn't understand any of this, but then again it was probably because she didn't stick around in town long enough to be a part of the whole Zoe mess that seemed like a repeat of Sarah.

“She was in love with Sarah, she met her at the mental institution that Sarah was sent to..... Eve was Sarah's nurse” he finally managed to get out.

“Her nurse? But...” Dani stuttered, “but don't they have rules against relationships in those circumstances?”

“Yeah” Noah huffed, “but that doesn't mean that they get followed, and if know one finds out there's not a whole lot they can do about it. You know what it's like, any system has it's faults, no matter how flawless it may seem”.

“Yeah I guess so” she agreed, “so what happened after that?”

Noah paused for a minute, a lot had happened while he was in that shed, to be honest it was blurred enough that he had to stop and think about what actually did happen. although the times in the shed were a faint memory, the times he was out of the shed were as clear as day, that might have had something to do with the fact that there weren't many of them, but what ever the reason they were the hardest times out of the whole ordeal.

Dani could see the expression on Noah's face, it was getting harder for him again, he wasn't crying, but he looked like he needed to. With out thinking Dani reached her hand out, placing it on Noah's arm gently and giving him a warm smile to remind him that it was alright now, “Just take your time”.

Noah just nodded, feeling a little safer now, it was all over, he just wished he could get that through his head so that he could just remember it without it being so damn hard.

“She used to...” Noah started before drifting away. “She used to stalk Summer bay, and it wasn't all her work”.

“What do you mean?”

“She made me...”

Flashback:

“Do it Noah, or else I'll do it and make it a lot worse for all your friends” she threatened grabbing the shoulder of his shirt, her control clearly over him.

“But why me?” he asked with a chill in his voice, he really didn't see why she needed him to do all this.

“Look I don't need to say it again, just go over there and cut the green wire in the engine, got it?” she ordered, letting o of her grasp on his shirt, letting him fall to the ground in a heap. She moved towards the chicken wire fence of the small air strip in the darkness, turning back to look directly at him where he still lay on the grass. “Come on get up, are you completely useless of something?” she growled.

Unwillingly he got up and followed her to where she stood looking out to the plane that could just be seen in the middle of the runway.

“Now you know what you have to do” she told him handing him a torch and pliers, “no stuff-ups alright?”

“Yeah I got it” Noah sighed walking towards the gate as she unlatched the lock and pushed the thing open for him to get through.

“Oh and Lawson don't try anything stupid” she warned, “or I promise you it will be the last thing you ever do”.

Swallowing hard he froze on the spot, scared of what he was about to do, but at the same time he was scared of what would happen if he didn't do it. That was the thing, she managed to find a way to make him do everything at just the twist of her finger, she had him right where she wanted him, and there was no getting out.

“Go on then” she pushed him, poking her finger into his back, forcing him to unwillingly take another step, “Go” she yelled, pushing him one more time before he continued walking.

He moved one foot after the other, each step it's own struggle of choice. He could feel the pliers in his left hands, they weren't small, they were actually quite large, old and rusty.

He approached the plane, it was only a small one, probably only big enough for a few people or more. On the side of the plane was a small step ladder. He moved closer to it, turning on the torch that sat in his right hand so that he could get a better look at it.

Using the rail he helped himself get to the third step before placing the pliers on the forth step and using his left hand to open the engine. There were wires everywhere, ranging in different colours, some the same some different, but there was only one green one, just like she had told him earlier. Placing the torch down so that the light shone up, he used both hands to grab the handles of the pliers, forcing them open and back closed again, slicing the plastic coated wire straight trought the middle in one clean cut.

Then taking a deep breath he put the pliers down and closed the engine again, not leaving any evidence behind.

End of flash back.

“So she made you do all that when it could have been easier just to do it herself?” Dani asked curiously.

“Yeah, don't ask me why” he answered, smiling slightly, it was definitely a lot easier to cope with things when they were all out in the open, in fact he didn't even know why he hadn't done it sooner.

Please tell me what you think.

Archived