Tennis - SAP open in San Jose, CA

Guest Guevara01

Found this on AOL sports:

Britain's Andy Murray has pulled off the biggest win of his young career by beating top seed Andy Roddick in the semi-finals of the SAP Open in San Jose, California.

Former US Open winner Roddick, 23, was looking for a hat-trick of victories in this event and his 24 ATP Tour titles have helped earn him over £5.5 million in prize money.

However, 18-year-old Murray, who has netted just £150,000 in comparison, belied his relative inexperience to clinch a 7-5 7-5 success over the American.

Murray will now face another formidable foe in Lleyton Hewitt in the final after the third-seeded Australian beat American Vincent Spadea 6-3 6-4 in the other semi.

Hewitt, who will be 25 next week, is a former Wimbledon and US Open winner who has amassed more than £9 million in prize money and took this title in 2002.

Roddick had looked the more comfortable on his serve in the opening set until Murray showed impeccable timing to break him in the 11th game.

The Dunblane teenager looked on course for victory when breaking the American again in game five of the second set, only for Roddick to break back immediately.

However, Murray struck once more at 5-5 and then held his nerve in a thrilling final game to wrap up a famous win.

"I think the main things in the match were that I served and returned well, and my stats on my serve when I was down in the game were great,'' said Murray.

"I made a few too many mistakes at the beginning of the match and maybe a few too many at the end when I was ahead - I was maybe going for a little too much, I don't know if it was nerves or if I just lost concentration, but overall I played very well.

"I've played well all week and I'm looking forward to playing in the final against Hewitt. I made one final before and it was against Federer, and now I get a chance to play against Hewitt so it's going to be a good match.''

xxx

Yes that's right, Murray has won. Thanks for updating Susie. Here's the article:

Britain's Andy Murray rose to new heights as he came from behind to beat Lleyton Hewitt and claim his first ATP Tour title in the SAP Open in San Jose.

The 18-year-old Scot, who also beat Andy Roddick in the last four, rallied from a set down to win 2-6 6-1 7-6.

Murray had his serve broken three times in the opening set, but hit back superbly to race through the next.

Hewitt saved two match points with aces at 4-5 and 5-6 down to force a tie-break, but Murray took it 7-3.

Hewitt had won all eight of his previous finals against opponents outside the world's top 50.

But the former world number one was never comfortable against the young Scot, despite a strong start.

Murray dropped his opening service game of the match to fall 2-0 down before breaking back and levelling at 2-2.

But Hewitt saved a further break point in his next service game and stepped up a gear to break Murray twice more and take the set.

Murray complained to the umpire about a line call at 2-5, 0-15 down, but undaunted by the setback of losing that game, he began the second set with renewed purpose.

The Scot broke Hewitt in the first and third games and upped his own serving percentages to take a commanding 4-0 lead.

The Australian refused to lie down but Murray broke him again to take the set 6-1.

Murray opened with a strong service game in the decider and then converted a break point in the next game with a backhand winner.

Hewitt responded by breaking back immediately, but Murray forced three more break points in the next, only to suffer a poor line call which allowed the Australian to level at 2-2.

Undeterred, a cross-court lob and a backhand cross-court winner saw the young Scot break Hewitt again for a 4-2 lead.

But again the Australian responded in kind, drawing level again at 4-4 with his best service game of the set.

An impeccable top-spin lob gave Murray a match point at 5-4, but Hewitt saved it with an ace, and did exactly the same when the Scot forced another at 6-5 ahead.

Murray raced to a 3-0 lead in the tie-break, and despite Hewitt closing to 5-3, two big serves brought Murray his moment of triumph.

His efforts this week mean he is assured of a place in the world's top 50 when the new rankings come out on Monday.

Murray said: "To beat Lleyton 7-6 in the third set is a dream come true"

Hewitt said: "I want to congratulate Andy on a fantastic tournament" "Not in five years have i met an eighteen year old with that much talent" (this last one might be a bit improvised, my mum told me she heard it on Tv, no idea how trustworthy she is :ph34r: )

Still don't know how i feel about the result. Lol, like them both. Bang goes my patriotism.

xxxx

Congratulations to Andy Murray. Being an Aussie I would have liked to have seen Lleyton Hewitt win, but I am pleased that a British player won. British tennis has been struggling for many years (with the exception of Tim Henman), so this win is great for British tennis.

Archived