Home And Away Special News: Lleyton Hewitts Cameo

Guest jessica_r

Home And Away Special News: Lleyton Hewitts Cameo Role

Credit femlaefirst.co.uk

Lleyton Hewitt makes his debut cameo performance on Home and Away on Friday 24th June. The cameo has been talked about for some time now after his comment during an interview with Jim Courier after an Australian Open match.

While Lleyton admits it was a bit of a joke at the time, he didn?t pass up the opportunity to have that milkshake in the diner.

Although he seemed so relaxed when he walked on set he did comment to the cast and crew after his last scene that he felt more nervous doing the Home and Away cameo than he did when walking out onto centre court before his Wimbledon final.

"I actually said it as a joke at the end of a four and a half hour (tennis) marathon. But I watched the show when I was younger and with Bec working on the show I thought I would give it a go", Lleyton says.

Having Bec in the scenes with me though helped calmed the nerves", he says.

Lleyton was involved in two scenes (which will air over two nights) which both included Bec Cartwright his fiancee. The first scene saw him teamed up with Bec?s fellow cast members Ben Unwin (as Jesse), Chris Hemsworth (as Kim Hyde) and Isabel Lucas (as Tasha) and the second scene Lleyton had a speaking role with Bec and Lynne McGranger (who plays Irene Roberts)

Bec explains that, "The scenes were a play on reality, a bit tongue in cheek which was quite funny to play against him. I am going about my business as my character Hayley, when I notice this guy looking at me. Lleyton just sees me as Bec but obviously I am in character not knowing why he thinks he knows me. The storyline was quite clever actually and we had a bit of laugh", she says.

Bec says, "I am very proud of him. He got his lines right every time. I thought it could be quite overwhelming for him because he was on set with cast and crew and extras but he handled himself so well. I think Lleyton felt comfortable with everyone as all the cast and crew made him feel so welcomed", she says.

LLEYTON HEWITT ON HOME AND AWAY

WHY DID YOU WANT TO DO THE HOME AND AWAY CAMEO?

I actually said it as a joke at the end of a four and a half hour (tennis) marathon. But I watched the show when I was younger and now with Bec working on the show I thought I would give it a go.

HOW DO YOU THINK YOU WENT?

Not too bad. The producer and director were very kind to me and didn't make me say too much so it went pretty well. Having Bec on set calmed the nerves as well.

ARE YOU GOING TO GIVE UP YOUR DAY JOB? DO YOU HAVE A NEW APPRECIATION HOW HARD IT WAS?

I got more nervous doing this than I was going out to play in the Wimbledon final. I don't think people really know what goes into making a show like Home and Away and I only know from watching Bec and know the hours that they all work and the schedule they are on. More goes into it than most people know and I got a feel for that today on set.

DID BEC GIVE YOU ANY ACTING TIPS?

RUN THROUGH YOUR LINES WITH YOU?

Bec helped me run through my lines and the advice she gave me was to be natural and be myself.

Hewitt a TV ace, says Bec

Herald-Sun

8 June 2005

Home and Away, PG

Channel 7, weeknights, 7pm

Duration: 30 minutes

DURING an interview at the Australian Open in January, tennis ace Lleyton Hewitt told Jim Courier that he wouldn't mind a role in Home and Away, which starred his lover, Bec Cartwright.

Quick to capitalise, Channel 7 enticed Hewitt to film a couple of scenes.

"I actually said it as a joke at the end of a 4 1/2 hour (tennis) marathon," Hewitt says. He appears in two episodes this week.

"I watched the show when I was younger, and now with Bec working in it, I thought I'd give it a go."

Cartwright says it was "quite funny" playing opposite her fiance.

"The scenes were a bit tongue-in-cheek. My character, Hayley, notices this guy in the diner looking at her.

"I'm very proud of Lleyton. He got his lines right every time, and the cast and crew made him feel very welcome."

Hewitt says he was more nervous walking out in front of the Home and Away cameras than onto centre court at Wimbledon.

"I don't think people really know what goes into making a show like Home and Away.

"I only know from watching Bec, and know the hours they all work and the schedule they are on.

"Bec helped me to run through my lines and the advice she gave me was to be natural, be myself."

Cartwright is proud of Hewitt's performance.

"It can be quite overwhelming, but he handled himself so well."

Archived