Fundraising for charity: the naked truth

Guest Andy

Fundraising for charity: the naked truth / Hot calendar date

Daily Telegraph / The Newcastle Herald

25 May 2005 / 27 May 2005

IT IS a side of some of the Coast's most prominent men you probably haven't seen before -- and in a handful of cases one you may not wish to see again.

A host of local figures have posed for a charity calendar in their place of work, but wearing just a pair of shoes and some strategic props.

The charity calendar, images from which are pictured right, features sportsmen, policemen, a councillor and a radio presenter -- some of whom will be signing copies on Sunday at a promotion at Westfield Tuggerah, between 10am and 2pm.

Musician-actor Israel Cannan, 20, who opens the financial year at July, said it was the first time he had posed naked. Cannan was photographed in his Berkeley Vale rehearsal studio, atop a ladder with a guitar slung round his waist.

"The nude thing was a little daunting," he said. "But it was for a good cause so I said I'd do it. It was tastefully done."

With a guest acting role on Prime TV's Home and Away under his belt, Cannan is now working on his first album to be released early next year.

"For a young independent dude from the Central Coast, I've started to make a little bit of a name [for myself]," he said.

Meanwhile, the calendar's outdoor shots show Councillor Chris Holstein behind a street sign, NRL referee Shayne Hayne on the Central Coast Stadium pitch, and surf coach Terry McDermott on Terrigal Beach.

The brainchild of SeaFM's breakfast presenters, the calendar is raising funds for Central Coast cancer charity Kids In Need.

The calendars cost $10, and will be on sale from June 1 at Bakers Delight stores.

The Sea FM crew will be in the centre court of Westfield Tuggerah launching the Men of the Central Coast calendar on Sunday from 10am to noon.

Some of the models will be there to sign copies of the calendar and Israel Cannan will perform a few songs from his album Heroes in Heaven.

Archived