My Saving Grace

Guest RoRo90

Thank you guys for the lovely reviews, glad that you are enjoying the story. hope this chapter is ok :unsure:

CHAPTER ELEVEN

"Brax" Jack called after his friend as he left the exam room

"So how does it feel, finally we're exam free", Jack sighed heavily as his face beamed with happiness at the thought of having taken his last exam.

Brax's face shared Jacks enthusiasm before speaking "It feels great... now me and Charlie can hang out for more than five minutes without her suggesting that we study or stressing out about how she's gonna do in the exams"

Jack quickly interjected in agreement with Brax "Tell me about it, it's all Martha as been able to talk about lately, these exams have put a serious dent in our alone time... if you get what I mean ", Jack smirked as Brax let out a small laughter, composing himself as they were interrupted by the sound of Martha's voice

"What's that about me?" Martha looked at both boys as she wrapped her arms around Jacks waist

"Nothing just agreeing that you guys can stop stressing now that the exams are over" relied Brax a he pointed at Charlie

"Well we still have to wait for the results", Brax turned to Charlie as she spoke. Pulling her closely to him he quickly responded

"No, I am not spending my summer break worrying about results, we are gonna have some fun and relax, no arguments"

"Yes sir", Charlie cheekily saluted as she gave him a quick kiss

As they were joined by Bianca, Leah and Miles who all harboured the same expression of relief they all made their way out of Summer Bay High glad to put all the stress behind them.

Walking towards the beach Brax walked alongside Jack and Miles as Charlie and the girls followed behind. Jack watched Brax slowly, Amazed at how far he had come since he first started at Summer Bay high. Hearing the laughter that fell from Charlie's mouth and noticing how it instinctively brought a smile to Brax's face, he silently smiled to himself. Never had he known two people have such effect on one another, he had amusingly studied them occasionally and was taken by the effect Charlie had on Brax and vice versa. In each other's presence Jack could not recollect a time he saw anything but smiles on their faces and heard laughter in their voices. Catching Brax steal a glimpse at Charlie, Jack punched him lightly on the arm

"Ow... what was that for?" Brax looked over at Jack confused as to what he had done to deserve the punch as he rubbed his arm.

"You are so whipped", Jack chuckled as he replied

Brax returned the gesture as he lightly hit Jack "I'm not... and honestly you're not one to talk, every time you look at Martha you have this stupid grin plastered on your face like a school girl"

Miles instantly burst out laughing at the expression Brax had used, but was soon shut down by Jack who gladly handed him the same gesture Brax and himself had received

"Ow... what did you hit me for, I didn't even say anything", Miles exclaimed dramatically as he rubbed his arm

"You didn't have to, you laughing said it all... and seriously you shouldn't be laughing, Leah as you wrapped around her finger"

"She does not", Miles quickly defended himself

Brax gladly interjected "Actually Miles... Yeah she does"

"Whatever... we're just all as bad as each other", Jack and Brax slowly nodded in agreement as they took a quick glance at their girlfriends before all three boys chuckled to one another.

Watching on as the boys interacted with one another, Charlie observed Brax as a smile uncontrollably crept up onto her face.

"You are so smitten it's almost sickening", Bianca turned to Charlie as she spoke. Reluctantly taking her gaze off Brax and turning her attention to Bianca, Charlie raised her eyebrow questionably unsure of what Bianca was talking about.

"Don't play Dumb, you with Brax; you are so smitten looking over at him every five seconds".

"I do not, I was j..." Charlie tried desperately to defend herself as she felt her checks heat up

"Charlie yeah you do", Leah laughed noticing Charlie's cheeks turning rose red as Bianca and Martha joined in.

"You guys can't talk", Charlie pointed defensively at Leah and Martha "the both of you are just as bad as me, maybe even worse".

"Now that I agree with", responded Bianca

Martha turned to Bianca "You can't talk"

Looking slightly confused Bianca questioned her "what do you mean... the last time I checked I was single"

Quickly grasping what or in this case who Martha was referring to Charlie joined in happy to turn the tables on Bianca.

"I think she might be talking about you and the other Braxton", Charlie winked over at Bianca as a sneakily smile crept up on her face before her and Martha started laughing.

"What... you like Heath?" Leah stumbled as she faced Bianca

Feeling an extensive amount of blood rushing to her face, Bianca turned her face keeping her gaze ahead as she quickly spoke up in an attempt to hide what Charlie and Martha obviously already knew.

"No I don't like Heath", she tried very unconvincingly to deter her friends from the truth

Leah raised an eyebrow as she continued to gawk at Bianca unconvinced "So you like Casey? I mean I know you've been single for a while but Bianca... that's just plain wrong". All three girls soon burst out into fits of laughter at Bianca as her face only reddened the more.

"Just shut up you guys, I do not like Casey.. or Heath", Bianca mentally kicked herself as she knew she was doing a disgraceful job at convincing them they were wrong.

"Charlie unsuccessfully tried to compose herself as she spoke "Ok Bianca whatever you say"

"Yeah all the giggling and playing with your hair when you're around him must just be pure coincidence", Martha added in an overly sarcastic tone.

Leah still not sure how she had missed this spoke again "I honestly can't believe I haven't picked up on any of this before"

"Well you wouldn't have, you're always too busy shoving your tongue down Mile's throat", Leah blushed lightly before replying

"So there was something to miss, aww Bianca you do like him"

"I didn't say that", Bianca replied frustrated by how the conversation she had regrettably started had turned on her.

Martha, Leah and Charlie looked at one another before laughing loudly. Charlie managed to stabilise her laugher as she linked her arm in Bianca's.

"Hy for what it's worth I'm pretty sure he likes you. Even if you don't like him I just thought you would like to know" Charlie winked at Bianca before she picked up her pace in order to reach the boys.

"Hy", Charlie snaked her hand around Brax before giving him a quick kiss

"Hy", Brax replied as he leaned in for another kiss

"Whipped", Jack coughed under his breath as Brax shot him a look. Not long after Martha walked up behind Jack linking her hand in his as she also leaned up and gave him a kiss before breaking away at which point Jack was looking down at her with a smile on his face.

"What was that you were saying", Brax looked over at Jack with a smirk plastered over his face.

"Shut up"

"Are we missing something here" Charlie asked as she looked up to Brax

"Nup", he leaned over giving her another kiss

Charlie looked down at her phone suddenly remembering that she had promised her dad that her and Brax would look after Casey and Ruby after school.

"Hy guys we have to go, we promised my mum and dad that we would look after Ruby and Casey today", Charlie pulled Brax along as she walked in the direction of her house.

"We did?" Brax questioned surprised

"Yeah we did" Come on

Jack looked over at Brax as he smirked widely at him before motioning a whip movement in the air, causing Miles and Jack to laugh, as the girls looked on questionably.

"Lottie help Bwax is gonna get us", Ruby squealed as her and Casey ran around the lounge as brax chased them round the settee.

Brax ran round the chair lightly tackling both Casey and Ruby onto the settee before tickling them. As both kids let out fits of laughter Casey jumped into Charlie's hand

"Chawie help", Casey squealed through his giggles

"Oh I don't know Casey", Charlie bit her lip playfully "I could help you or... I could just do this", Charlie picked Casey up onto the settee besides brax and Ruby as she too proceeded to tickle Casey, who was now laughing hysterically along with Ruby.

As the front door opened, Ross and Elise walked in instantly laughing at the sight before them

"Daddy... help", Ruby giggled out loud as she squirmed out of Brax's grip running towards Ross.

Ross laughed lightly as he picked Ruby up, holding her up in the air towards Brax direction

"No daddy don't", Ruby squealed as he held her closer to Brax

"Say please", Ross teased as he continued to move her closer to Brax

"Pwease Pwease"

"Ok", Ross pulled her closer to him placing her on the floor besides him.

"I see you guys are having fun", Elsie smiled over at Charlie and Brax as they settled themselves on the settee, in an attempt to regain a steady breathing pace.

"Yh we did Bwax and Chawie was chasing me and wuby", Casey looked up at Elise face beaming with joy as Charlie placed him on the floor.

"You hungry", Elise looked down at Casey as she lightly ruffled his short brown hair playfully

Nodding enthusiastically, Casey rubbed his hand over his stomach causing everyone to laugh "Yh I weally hungry"

"Well why don't you and Ruby let Charlie and Brax get you cleaned up while I go and make us all something to eat".

Casey nodded once more as he eagerly latched onto Charlie's hand dragging her behind him in an effort to get cleaned up as fast as he could. Charlie chuckled to herself if there was anything the Braxton boys had in common it was their huge appetite

"Bwax come on", Ruby tugged repeatedly on Brax's shirt

"Erm Mrs Buckton", Brax turned to Elise

"I can't stay for dinner, I didn't tell Heath I would be eating here. There may be food in the house but Heath wouldn't know the first thing about making something decent or edible".

"Hy I can make decent toast", Brax turned towards the back door of the house to see Heath walking in.

"What you doing here?" asked Brax

"Mrs B called and said to come over for dinner, and since I'm stuck with your awful cooking night after night I couldn't possibly refuse", Heath smirked over at his brother as he took his usual seat in the lounge.

Elise and Ross looked over at each other trying to hold back their laughter. Amusing them was one thing Heath never failed to do.

"Did you at least say thank you?" Brax hit Heath lightly over the head

"Ow... of course I did, what do you take me for", Heath looked up at Brax as he screwed his face rubbing the back of his head.

"Thanks Mrs Buckton", Brax looked at Elise flashing a smile

"It's nothing, plus I think Ross over here was starting to miss their little banter. Elise and Brax both laughed as Elise patted Ross face playfully. They all knew too well that Heath and Ross would soon find some pointless topic to debate about, both eager to prove their point. Brax found himself surprised at how smart Heath actually was.

"Bwax", Ruby dragged Brax along following the direction that Charlie and Casey had taken.

Settling down at the dining table Brax, Charlie and Elise all turned their attention towards Heath and Ross who were still sat on the settee evidently not having heard Elise calling them as they fell into another debate on another pointless issue.

"Boys", Elise raised her voice slightly in an attempt to get their attention.

Ross and Heath quickly turned around only to find everyone already seated at the table waiting on them. Ross and Heath slowly made their way over to the dining table taking a seat.

"Glad to see you both decided to join us", Elise spoke sarcastically as she dished out the food

"It was his fault", Ross pointed at Heath, and at this everyone burst out laughing. Elise shock her head looking over at her husband, he sounded like a three year old trying to push the blame on someone else.

"Mr B I can finish winning our discussion later, Right now Mrs B's cooking smells way too good".

"You weren't winni..." Ross spoke till he saw Elise raise an eyebrow at him. He instantly focused his attention on his food.

"I is full", Casey dropped his spoon as he polished off the last off his dessert as he once again rubbed his hand over his stomach.

"I would think so after all the food you put away", Brax laughed over at Casey as he ruffled his brothers hair.

After clearing the table they were now all sat around the lounge.

"Right guys we have something for the both of you", Elise smiled over at Brax and Charlie as she pulled out an envelope and a little box, handing the envelope to Brax and the box to Charlie.

Registering the confused looked on their faces Ross spoke up

"We figured we would get you guys a little something for getting through your HSC".

Charlie sat up right as she opened the box only to pull out a set of keys. Looking from her mum to her dad Charlie finally realised what they keys were for.

"You got me a car?" Charlie squealed as she jumped into her mum pulling her into a tight hug before proceeding to perform the same act of gratitude with her father

"Thank you, thank you THANK YOU" Charlie's face beamed with happiness as she held tightly onto the keys.

Charlie turned to Brax who was yet to take his eyes off the letter within the envelope. Brax head suddenly shot up as he looked over at Ross and Elise with utmost gratitude in his eyes. Not knowing what her parents had given him Charlie stared expectantly at Brax waiting for him to say something. Noticing the look on Brax face and the look in his eyes Ross smiled as he spoke

"You always talk about having your own business one day so we figured some hands on experience would be useful".

Charlie still not knowing what was going on took the letter from Brax and read through it. "A paid apprenticeship ... at the resort for the whole summer" Charlie looked over at her parents thankfully knowing how much this would mean to Brax.

"This is too much you guys really didn't have to do this", Brax spoke for the first time

"We know but we wanted to, you deserve it and it will give you a heads start maybe even help you decide what type of business you want to venture into", replied Ross

"But its paid, how did..."

"I know a few of the guys there so I just called in a favour", Ross was pleased with both himself and Elise.

Brax fought back the tear that had been lingering in his eye "Thank you guys so much, and I promise you won't regret this" Brax looked from Ross to Elise still trying to take in what they had just done for him on top of everything they had already been doing For him, he turned to Heath as he heard him speak

"Wow, well now I really can't wait till I finish school, Mrs B a car and a nice holiday will do me just fine", Heath let out his usual grin as Brax once again hit him lightly across the head as the others looked on laughing.

"You know Brax I think you should open up a restaurant as your business", Heath looked at Brax as he spoke

"Why so you can eat for free", asked Ross as he laughed lightly

"Yh of course", Heath gave him a grin before refocusing his attention on the TV.

As Charlie went to grab the remote Heath leaped up getting there before she could. Holding on to the TV remote Heath looked over at Charlie "No way Am I sitting through any more chick flicks".

Elise and Charlie giggled as Ross and Brax nodded in agreement. Heath flicked through the channels before settling on one. "Now this is what I'm talking about", Heath, Brax and Ross watched on as the car in the film blow up. Ross and Brax instantly grinned at the thought of getting to watch something decent.

"Well I better get these two to bed then, don't think they should be watching this", Elise stood up taking both Ruby's and Casey's hands in hers.

"Casey wanna watch too, I'm big boys now. I'm this many old now", Casey held up four of his fingers as everyone chuckled at how cute he was. Ever since turning four Casey had convinced himself that he was now old enough to do everything his brothers did.

Having also turned four two weeks prior Ruby spoke up "So am I, am this many big too", Ruby also held up her four fingers, Elsie bent down levelling herself with both kids trying to hold back her laughter.

"You guys can watch films like this when you are this old", Elise held up all ten fingers.

"That's long away", Ruby protested

"No it's not trust me it will fly by", said Elise as she walked off to their room each of them in line

Elise soon returned sitting beside Ross as they continued watching the film. Charlie looked around the room as the guys stared attentively at the screen. Smiling to herself she moved closer to Brax loving every moment of her life.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hy guys here's the next chapter sorry for the wait been down with a flu. thank you for all your comments, love knowing ppl are enjoying this story. Enjoy :)

CHAPTER TWELVE

Ross made his way to the front door after dropping both Brax and Heath off at home, to find only Elise sat in the lounge in front of the TV. "Where is Charlie, as she gone to bed already?" Ross looked up at the time noting that he had only been gone for about 15 minutes.

Elise replied not taking her eyes off the TV screen "She said she was but then I seen her go into Ruby's room", Elise sighed heavily finally gracing Ross with her face as she looked up at him

"And she still hasn't left Ruby's room; I didn't want to disturb her so..." Elise voice drifted off as a lone tear rolled down her face.

She had been pretending for so long that it wasn't happening. She had convinced herself that the envy she spotted in Charlie's eyes every time Ruby addressed her as her mum was just a figment of her paranoid imagination. She had continued to shake of the loving motherly look Charlie gave to Ruby whenever she felt no one was watching. But no longer was Elise able to contain the guilt that had been eating away at her since that day. She knew she and Ross had taken the choice to deprive Charlie of her right and every day since they had made that awful decision, the mistake in their choice became more evident and was now staring them right in the face.

Ross motioned towards Elise as he sighed heavily. He instantly guided his arms around her pulling her closer to him. He needn't ask why she was crying he knew all too well why the tear had escaped her eyes. Regardless of the effort he had put into shrugging it off and pretending it wasn't happening, he was unlade to escape the look of want that resided in Charlie's eyes. Even though he could see she was a lot happier than she had been since all this had happened, he couldn't deny that she still harboured that look of regret every time he saw her with Ruby. How could a decision they had taken to save her now be the cause of her heart break.

Elise pulled Ross out of his thoughts "We made the wrong decision, didn't we? We should have given her a chance, we should h..."

Ross shook his head as he interrupted her not sure who he was trying to convince, his wife or himself

"Elise she wasn't coping. You saw how she was when Ruby was born, we were only doing what we thought was right it was what she wanted"

Elise shook her head grievously "No Ross, it wasn't what she wanted. She couldn't have known what she wanted, we should have given her more time instead of practically forcing her into agreeing with our decision... she was just a kid".

"And she still is", Replied Ross

Elise moved away from him slightly as she pointed towards Ruby's room "The girl in that room with her daugh..." Elise paused for a brief moment before continuing "with Ruby, that girl, our daughter she is no longer a kid Ross, you can see it in her eyes just as much as I can, I know you can... I don't know if I can do this anymore, this was supposed to save her, not..." Elise words caught in her throat as her tears cascaded freely down her face, "It's causing more harm than good".

As Elise buried her face in Ross's chest he tightened his grip on her as he fought the tears that had settling in his eyes. The unknowing mistake that they had made now stood before them evidently taunting them like a bad dream. But what was he to do now, how was he to fix it. Ross failed to come up with an answer to his question that wouldn't turn all their lives upside down.

"We can't think like that Elise; we just have to keep being strong fro Charlie... and Ruby. That's all we can do" Elise kept silent but Ross knew she had heard what he had said. He placed a soft kiss on her forehead refusing to let her go. Soon enough Ross and Elise had both fallen asleep. Ross woke up shortly after looking down at his sleeping wife he unwrapped his arms from around her, before taking her into their room and placing her down gently in an effort not to wake her. He walked into Charlie room expecting her to have returned from Ruby's room but was unexpectedly met by an empty room. He turned and entered Ruby's room, as the sight before him sunk in the tears that he had held back since his talk with Elise had finally won as they ran down his cheeks. He looked on as his daughter wrapped her arms around ruby as she peacefully slept against Charlie's chest. He thought back to the day they had taken that decision, he remembered the look on Charlie's face as he and Elise sat before her. He thought they were doing what was right for the both of them, but standing there watching on he could no longer deny the immense mistake they had made; he only hoped Charlie could forgive him.

Charlie had been up for awhile and yet she had failed to move from her current position. She gently lifted her hand towards Ruby's delicate face as she stroked it softly. Charlie swore that Ruby had to be the most beautiful thing she had ever set her eyes upon. She smiled ecstatically as Ruby snuggled closer to her still deep in sleep. Charlie moved the hair from Ruby's face gently running her had through it as she admired her beautiful brown curls. As she continued to watch Ruby closely she felt her heart pound aggressively against her chest as the love she possessed for Ruby became almost too much to contain. A wash of guilt instantly overcame her, she had told herself a thousand times that she had no right to feel this way about Ruby, she had given up that right the day she agreed to the decision her parents had taken. Now more than ever that day haunted her every second of everyday, for Charlie it signified the day she had given up on the best thing in her life.

FLASHBACK

"Charlie... Charlie" Charlie's head shot up at the sound of her mother's voice, and only now had her mind registered the cries from one month old Ruby. Charlie watched on as Elise Picked Ruby up rocking her gently as her cries slowly subsided.

"Why didn't you pick her up?", Elise looked over at Charlie, worry sketched all over her face.

"I... I didn't hear her crying", Charlie looked away as she whispered her words making them almost inaudible.

"Sorry", she added as she looked up at Ruby who had now settled comfortably in Elise's arms.

"You have nothing to be sorry about", Elsie sat down besides her daughter. She watched as Charlie focused on a peaceful Ruby. She hesitated for a while but decided to give it a try

"Do you want to hold her?"

Charlie looked up briefly at her mother before looking back down at Ruby. She wasn't sure which scared her most, the possibility of not being able to love her like she should or the possibility of not being enough for Ruby. Deciding against it Charlie replied

"No its fine, she looks settled. I'm just going to go and have a lie down". Motioning towards her room Charlie eyes never lingered on Ruby until she was no longer in sight.

Having been sat in her room for a while Charlie felt her head was going to explode as endless thoughts swam around at an increasing speed. The event that had taken place ten months prior, the way her friends had turned on her, the disgustingly smug look that was plastered on his face, all the ugly things that had taken over her once so simple life. Her mind had finally settled on Ruby and her beautiful brown eyes. A tear rolled down Charlie's face as she felt the weights that had been sitting on her shoulder become increasingly heavier as they began to drag her down taking all her strength with them. She wanted more than anything to be there for Ruby, but she didn't know how. She was trying but it felt like there was a brick wall standing before her separating her from Ruby, and each time she tried to climb over she fell flat on her face leaving her with more bruises and pain than she previously had.

A knock on her door brought her back to reality, helping her escape her own thoughts. Looking up she saw her mother and father stood at the foot of the door. She quickly wiped the tear that had been lingering on her right cheek hoping they hadn't noticed it.

"Hy sweetie, how you feeling", Elise walked over to Charlie sitting on the edge of her bed closely followed by Ross.

"Fine", Charlie replied as she let her gaze fall on her twiddling hands. She hated the way everyone looked at her like she was broken; the look of pity and sympathy was all she had seen in her parents eyes since they found out what he had done to her. Ross slowly grabbed hold of Charlie's hands inhaling deeply at what himself and Elise were about to say.

"Charlie ", Ross called as he noticed her gaze was still fixated on her free hand. Charlie slowly looked up staying strong in an attempt to fight back the tears that were now glazed over her eyes. Suddenly noticing the awkward glances both her parents were passing one another, Charlie uncontrollably found herself growing rapidly anxious, knowing that what they were about to say probably wasn't going to be a good thing.

"What is it... is something wrong... is it Ruby?" Charlie found herself unexpectedly panicking for Ruby's welfare.

"No Charlie Ruby is fine", Elise replied quickly as she noticed the look that had captured Charlie's face. Elise was now unsure if her and Ross were about to do the right thing. However if it was a step towards bringing her beautiful daughter back to her she was willing to try. Ross decided to speak up as he noticed his wife's hesitancy.

"Well it's about you and Ruby" Ross paused as he studied his daughters face. Seeing her confused expression he continued in an effort to explain things clearly to her

"Charlie after everything you have been through your mother and I don't think you can handle having to take care of Ruby. We think it might be best if..." Charlie hastily interrupted her father as she stared at both her parents wide eyed.

"No we can't do that, I can't do that. How could you even think of putting her up for adoption, what if she ends up with the wrong kind of people, in the wrong family? She would hate me". Charlie felt defeated as her tear ran down her face. She pulled away from her father's grasp unable to believe what they were about to suggest.

"No Charlie, we would never suggest giving Ruby to another family", Elise quickly interjected trying to put a panicked Charlie at ease.

"Wait what?", Charlie now sat up firmly on her bed looked back and forth between both her parents with a look of confusion spread across her face.

"We were not going to ask you to give her up to another family, we would never do that"

Charlie still looking back and forth between her parents wondered what they were otherwise going to say

"Then what were you going to say?"

Ross gave Elise's hand a tight squeeze more for his own comfort than for hers, he began to speak the words that would ultimately change all their lives.

"Charlie I and your mother think it may be best if We look after Ruby instead", Charlie slowly nodded still failing to grasp the concept of what her parents were insinuating.

"You and mum already look after her so i don't understand w..." Charlie paused waiting for one of her parents to explain properly to her

"Yh we know but we want to do it properly", Ross's grip on his wife's hand tighten significantly sensing the conversation was not going to go as smooth as he had hoped.

"Properly", Charlie questioned her fathers words as it played on her tongue, sensing the was something she hadn't managed to understand she looked him directly in the eye "What do you mean properly" as the question left her lips Charlie felt her heart race pick up at an immense speed. Although unaware of what her parents were trying to say, she had seen this look to many times in her father's eyes and knew it wasn't a good sign. He head rapidly shot in her mother's direction as her voice filled the room for the first time in a while

"Me and you dad think you have been through too much, so we want to raise Ruby as our own. Charlie you can't c..."

"W... what?" Charlie voice now barely audible as the realisation of what her parents were truly saying finally hit her, sending her drowning deeper than she ever thought possible as he head began to pound aggressively as the words circulated round her head finally sinking in.

"Y...You want to raise My daughter as your daughter and My sister?" Charlie found herself stuttering unable to comprehend what they had just said and how it was going to work.

"Charlie it's for your own good, you're still a kid yourself and with everything else you don't need this added stress", Ross pleaded with his daughter in an effort to convince her

"But she's my daughter, Mine", Charlie spoke in bare whispers as she fought back the tears that had made their way to her eyes.

"And you can still be there for her, but without the stress of having to cope with what has happened and deal with all the difficult aspects of bringing up a child". As Elise kept talking Charlie's mind drifted to her beautiful little girl as a small smile spread across her face, the smile was suddenly evaded by the shooting pain that had taken control of her for over ten months. Her smile quickly disappeared as she thought about herself and how messed up she was. Although not wanting to admit it Charlie felt Ruby deserved more than what she could after her. She deserved two parents that would love her unconditionally; she deserved the kind of love that she had received from her parents. She wasn't sure she could give Ruby that, she was rushed out of her thoughts

"Charlie please say something" Elise pleaded with her daughter

"It's for the best sweetie; we're only looking out for you... for the both of you" Ross focused intensely on Charlie as he spoke trying to analyse her facial expression in hopes of it giving anything away.

A lone tear rolled down Charlie's face at the thought of what she was about to do. She nodded her head in agreement before opening her mouth letting the simple word fall out...

"Ok", that was all She could bring herself to say in that moment and from the point that word had left her mouth she had regretted it.

End Of Flashback

Charlie wiped away the tear that had long escaped and had been resting on her cheek. She looked down at Ruby who had now begun to stare. Her eyes fluttered open as they fell upon Charlie

"Hy Ruby", Charlie continued to Stroke the young girls hair softly. Ruby looked up at Charlie tired eyes before smiling at her

"Mowing Lottie" Ruby hugged Charlie before she continued, "I like it when you sleep in my room".

Charlie smiled down at her sweet young daughter, "I like it too... how about we get out of bed, get ready, and go down to the beach?"

Ruby nodded enthusiastically as she jumped out of bed jumping onto Casey's bed

"Wakey wakey Casey we going to the beach", Ruby sang in his ear cheerfully as a tired Casey opened his eyes.

"Hy Casey" Charlie leaned over his bed... "you wanna come to the beach with me and Ruby and maybe Brax and Heath?"

Casey nodded his head tiredly as Ruby grabbed onto his hand dragging him along with her. Charlie followed behind giggled at the strength of the little girl, her sweet beautiful daughter.

Thanks for the review guys :) . here is the next chapter

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Brax had now been working at the resort for over four weeks, having promised Charlie he would meet her at the beach straight after his shift he took a quick glimpse at his watch he made his way down the hall way towards the exit. Hardly having spent any time together since he started at the resort, Brax knew Charlie would skin him alive if he was late. He let out a sigh of relief realising that he still had plenty of time on his side. Stumbling back unexpectedly Brax looked up at what had shaken his balance. "Sorry about that, I'm in a bit of a rush".

Brax examined the boy that stood before him as he spoke

"It's cool; you err looking for something or someone?" Brax looked on at the curly headed boy

"Yh I am, I'm here for an interview but can't seem to find where I'm supposed to be"

Brax nodded his head towards the room behind him, "Interviews are usually held in there so I'm guessing that's the room you are looking for"

"Thanks", as he walked past Brax heading towards the room, Brax turned as he watched on examining the guy more closely. Coming in a little short than Brax, he had short curly hair. Although he wasn't scrawny he couldn't be described as built. Not sure why, Brax felt there was something familiar about him. Not being able to figure out where he may have seen him before, Brax took a glimpse at his watch.

"Crap", racing towards the exit, Brax hastily made his way to the beach.

"Hy", Brax walked over to where Charlie was sat taking a glance at his watch making sure he wasn't late. As if reading his mind Charlie smiled up at him

"Hy yourself... and no you're not late, so you don't have to worry you're not in trouble". Charlie chuckled quietly as Brax settled himself behind her placing her between his legs.

"Told you I would be here on time... I'm actually five minutes early I think I deserve a reward for that don't you?" winking at her he placed a tender kiss on her lips.

"You know we could..." Brax sent Charlie his cheeky smile showing of his dimples as he leant down again to kiss her. Charlie slowly moved her head further away from him

"Err actually we can't" Charlie sent Brax her own cheeky grin as she nodded her head further down the beach.

Lowering his head into the back of Charlie's neck, Brax let out a slight groan, he had only just caught site of Ruby and Casey playing with the sand. Charlie laughed at her boyfriends reaction as she caressed his arms that where wound around her waist.

"They wanted to come, and I think Ruby as really missed Casey since he moved back in with you and Heath. You should have seen her face this morning when mum brought him over".

Seeing as Brax had now saved up enough money and was still earning during his apprenticeship, Casey had finally moved back in with the boys. However regardless of Brax's constant refusal, on the basis that they had done more than enough for him and his brother, Elise still insisted on stocking up there place with food on a weekly basis.

"Yh I know, all me and Heath have the pleasure of hearing from Casey these days is how he wants to go and play with Ruby".

Brax pulled Charlie closer to him as she placed another kiss on his lips.

"So how was it today..." Charlie questioned as she looked over at Ruby and Casey making sure they hadn't gone to far down the beach.

"Yh it was good, same thing really well apart from the new guy"

"What new guy", Charlie was now looking up at Brax

"Just some guy that came in for an interview", Charlie nodded in response to what he had said, Brax continued " i swear there was something familiar about him".

"What's his name?"

"Don't know didn't really think to ask, too busy trying to get to you on time", and once again he sent her that signature smile.

Next day

"Hy you're the guy from yesterday right?" Brax looked up at the person stood before him, to find it was the same guy from the previous day

"Err yh, I see you got the job", Brax tried to hide that he was staring at the guy trying to figure out where he had seen him before or why he seemed so familiar.

"Yh yh I did, I'm Grant by the way"

"Brax... well actually some of the bosses here insist on calling me Daryl"

"Oh right your Daryl, well apparently I'm gonna be working with you for the next few weeks".

"Oh ok, and did they tell you what you would be doing?" Brax continued looking intensively at Grant; he couldn't bring himself to shack the feeling that had arisen. He fought with his memory trying to recall his face.

Shrugging in response to Brax Grant responded, "They simply said to follow your lead". Brax nodded as he put away the paper work he had been going through.

"How about I show you around first?" asked Brax

"yh that would be good", Grant smiled at Brax as he followed him down the resorts lobby.

Walking alongside Brax Grant sighed in relief to himself. Although having originally been wary about how he would get on in a different environment, Grant nerves had now started to ease he could see himself becoming friends with Brax. He was grateful to get away from the city, it seemed all his actions were beginning to catch up with him. But now he was in a new town and hopefully would make some new friends, and a new set of girls to set his eyes on.

"You got a promotion", Elise and Ross turned to Charlie who had obviously overheard their conversation

"Dad that great", Charlie smiled happy for her father

"Actually Charlie I'm not going to take it", Ross spoke as he got up making his way into the kitchen. Charlie looked over at her mother confused but was soon hot on her father's trail.

"Err... why not, you're always talking about moving up a step at work, isn't that what this promotion would be?"

Ross sighed and turned to face Charlie just as Elise emerged behind her

"Because the promotion isn't based in Summer Bay, if I take it we would have to move"

"Oh", looking over at her father she knew the only reason for him wanting to refuse the promotion was mainly due to her. He knew she wouldn't want to leave Brax or Summer Bay.

"Do you want to take it?" Charlie questioned her father already knowing the answer

"Yeah I guess, but we are settled here and enjoy my job now so..." Ross tried to hide his disappointment but failed to convince either Charlie or Elsie. Looking at her father Charlie tried to figure out a way of giving him what he wanted without her having to leave the Bay. Deciding it was worth a try Charlie addressed her parents

"Ok I'm about to suggest something, but don't freak out, at least not till you hear me out properly".

Both Elise and Ross shared uneasy glances before nodded towards Charlie allowing her to continue.

"Well... I'm gonna be starting University at the end of summer, and I am eighteen so... what if you took the job and I stayed behind", as Ross went to protest, Charlie quickly spoke up

"Wait just listen", Ross reluctantly kept quiet allowing her to continue "I'm not asking to stay on my own, I could move in with someone, and No I'm not suggesting with Brax, But guys this way you can take the promotion and I can still go to University here. I'm guessing the promotion is gonna be somewhere in the city so it's not like I can't come and see you guys or you can't come and see me. I mean if you think about it, it's a win win situation all round". Charlie had finally stopped and was now waiting for a response.

"I don't know Charlie I'm not sure we would feel too comfortable leaving you here alone", replied Elise

"But I won't be alone; I have my friends and Brax". Just think about it, you don't have to decide right now". Charlie picked up an apple before walking towards her room. Ross and Elise shared another uneasy glance unsure of what choice they were going to make.

Two days later

"Right guys I'm off", Charlie came out of her room in a blue maxi dress and her hair in their usual waves.

"You look prettiful Lottie", Ruby smiled up admiring Charlie

"Thank you Ruby", Charlie placed a kiss on the young girl's cheeks as she made her way towards the front door.

"Are you sure you don't want a lift", Ross asked Charlie once again

"No dad, it's on the beach, it's only a five minute walk", Charlie once again declined her fathers offer

"Be careful and remember be home by half eleven"

"Yes mother I know, but I really have to get going Brax and the others will be there by now"

"Oh Charlie", Charlie turned around again as her dad called her name

"You do look beautiful", Charlie grinned at her father

"Thanks dad", bye guys", Shutting the door behind her Charlie made her way to the beach eager to join her friends.

"Charlie", Bianca walked over to Charlie as she spotted her approaching, "What took you so long, I'm all alone".

"Sorry I lost track of time. All alone? How about Leah and Martha", Bianca groaned with frustration as she pointed in their direction. Charlie's laughter instantly filled the air as the sight of Martha and Leah pashing their boyfriends caught her eye. Seeing Brax and Heath walking in their direction Charlie quickly composed herself as she whispered to Bianca.

"You never know that could be you by the end of the night", She looked over at Heath before winking at Bianca who had started blushing before replying

"I already told you I don't like him".

"Ok if you say so, but like I told you I'm pretty sure he likes you". Charlie put an end to the conversation as Heath and Brax were now in ear shot.

"Hy babe", leaning closer to Brax she gave him a quick kiss, refusing to let her go Brax brushed her lips once more.

"Urgh enough of the PDA, I think I just throw up in my mouth a little", Charlie laughed as she pulled away turning her attention to heath

"Hi to you too Heath"

Simply nodding at Charlie Heath turned his attention to Bianca

"Hy"

"Hi", not thinking it was Possible Bianca found herself blushing heavier than she had already been doing.

Noticing the awkward tension between the two of them Brax and Charlie smirked at one another before deciding to excuse themselves.

"Err guys me and Brax are just gonna go and have a little chat down there", Charlie pointed further down the beach at no specific spot

"I'll come with you", Bianca quickly replied not sure if she wanted to be left alone with Heath

"Actually we kind of want some alone time, but you two can keep each other company while we're gone". Before either one of them could speak up, Charlie latched onto Brax's hand, pulling him behind her.

"You know Bianca is going to kill you later", Brax grinned over at Charlie as they settled in a spot.

"I know but hopefully by then they would have got their act together instead of dancing around each other all the time. Plus if she does try to inflict pain on me I have you to protect me", Charlie grinned over at Brax as he raised his eyebrow

"Me? No way, I have seen angry Bianca before, there is no way I would inflict such pain on myself", Charlie hit him lightly against the chest as he pulled her closer towards him. "But I could be persuaded", sending her a wink he leaned in further placing a deep kiss on her lips.

"Do you two ever come up for air", Jack laughed as he and Martha made their way over to Brax and Charlie

"Jack you've been here what... 30minutes, 28 of which you have been suffocating the poor girl", Martha blushed as Jack hit Brax on the Arm

"25 minutes actually", with all four of them now laughing at Jacks comment Martha quickly composed herself as she began tugging on Charlie's hand

"Come on let's see if we can pry Leah away from Miles and I swear I saw Heath and Bianca together. I wanna get a closer look". Jack and Brax rolled their eyes at one another as the girls went on their way.

"So... have you given it to her yet?", Jack turned to Brax

"No not yet, I wanted to wait till later, maybe when I take her home", Jack nodded

"Look I know I don't Know much about this sort of stuff but I'm pretty sure she's gonna like it", Jack gave Brax an encouraging smile

"Yh I think so too", Brax smiled to himself wishing time away so he could give Charlie what he had been holding onto since the previous day.

They had now been down at the beach for over an hour, they laughed and danced as they lost themselves in the electric atmosphere. Stopping to catch her breath Charlie looked around trying to spot Brax. She smiled as she set eyes on him, but was taken aback at the sight of the boy that was stood beside him as they spoke. She could have sworn she knew who he was. As Brax's company turned facing her direction but failing to see her, Charlie struggled to carry the weight of her body as her legs battled for strength. Her chest tightened against her lungs almost restricting any oxygen from passing through, and without thought a tear immediately ran down her face. She looked on as Brax engaged in conversation with the guy that had stolen her innocence from her.

thanks for the reviews, hope you enjoy this chapter :)

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

The music, her cries, her plea, and the devilish grin he had plastered on his face, like a shot everything about that night surfaced in Charlie's mind. Shaking her head aggressively she desperately tried to rid the memories somehow some way, but still they ran coldly through her mind paralysing her glare as her eyes burned holes in him.

Bianca had noticed the change in Charlie and quickly made her way over to her.

"Charlie... Charlie are you ok?". Bianca's curiosity rapidly grew to worry as Charlie's tears began cascading down her face.

"Charlie what's wrong? You're scaring me", Bianca looked on at Charlie as she caught Leah and Martha attention

"Guys what's wrong; Charlie why are you crying?" Leah was confused as to what had happened

"G... Grant", Charlie stumbled back fighting against her weakening legs

Martha, Leah and Bianca all turned in the direction that had caught Charlie's gaze. Catching sight of Brax they turned to the guy stood next to him. Realising they didn't know who he was Martha turned back to Charlie

"Are you talking about the guy with Brax?" they all waited for a response, unfortunately Charlie just stood staring in horror at the sight before her eyes. Martha moved closer to Charlie taking her hands in hers

"Charlie do you know him from somewhere?... Charlie please say something", All three girls now stood before Charlie worried as to what it was about this guy that could have upset her so much.

"He... he", Charlie went to speak but found no words were escaping her lips

"Charlie he what?" Leah pleaded with her friend to let the min

As if having stung with a dose of energy, Charlie darted in the opposite direction. Her heart was now racing at ten thousand to a dozen, her ears ringing with her cries and pleas from that dreadful night. Her legs almost left her behind in an attempt to escape her past that had now found her present. Oblivious to the voices that had been shouting her name, Charlie jumped in fright as the girls caught up to her, surrounding her in an attempt to get her to stop. Stopping, her weight became too much for her legs as she finally broke down crashing hard against the sand below her feet. All three friends immediately dropped down besides her staring at her with increasingly worried eyes. Her body trembled as the sound of her heavy breathing roared through the air, the sharpness of the evening wind hit against her cheeks sending shockwaves through her flesh.

"I'm going to go get Brax", Bianca went to stand as she spoke only to be pulled back down forcefully by Charlie.

"NO... no please don't", Charlie pleaded frantically as her tears continued hitting her cheeks

All three girls looked over at one another not sure what to do

"Ok... we won't but Charlie you need to let us know what's wrong... something has got you really shaken up. What is it about that guy that's upset you so much?... Charlie we can't help you if we don't know what's wrong" Martha tried to convince her friend to open up

"He... he", Charlie cries only soared through the wind louder as she thought of what he had done to her all those years ago. Bianca instantly wrapped her arms around her trying her best to offer her some sort of comfort.

"I can't... I just want to go home"

"Ok, we'll just go get Brax for you", Leah and Martha stood up

"No don't, I don't want him to see me like this"

"But Charlie, he's gonna notice you're not there soon enough, given he hasn't already noticed" Leah looked down at Charlie unsure as to whether they should follow Charlie's instructions and not tell Brax.

"Just tell him I wasn't feeling well so I left", Charlie got onto her feet unable to stop her trembling body

Taking glances at each other all three girls reluctantly nodded, considering the state she was in, they knew insisting against her decision would probably only make things worse.

"We'll take you home", Martha said as she linked her arms in Charlie's

"No, you guys go back to the party, I'll be fine" Leah quickly protested

"No we're taking you home and that's final, it's dark, it's not safe for you walking around by yourself", As Charlie went to protest Bianca added

"Unless you would rather we get Brax to walk you home", Charlie looked up at her friends truly grateful to have them in her life. They all turned in the direction of Charlie's house taking extra care in order to not be spotted by one of the guys.

The walk home was silent and uncomfortable; Charlie could feel the burning sensations of her friend's eyes watching her, almost as if trying to read her thoughts. Grateful to finally reach her front door Charlie turned to her friends eager to bid them good night and escape their worrying glares.

"Thanks guys", she sent them a weak smile

"Charlie we're really worried about you" said Martha

"You know you can trust us right?" asked Bianca

"I know, but right now I'm just really tired, I promise we can talk tomorrow" Charlie hoped this would get her friends off her back. She sighed lightly as it seemed to work as they all nodded to her words. Hugging them one by one, Charlie watched as they made their way back towards the beach before entering her house. Walking into the living room Ross and Elise turned to face her

"You're back home already... was the party not..." their smiles quickly faded as they took in the look on Charlie's face.

"Charlie what's wrong?" Elise rose to her feet making her way over to Charlie

Suddenly letting all her built up emotion overcome her, Charlie broke down in floods of tears, causing Ross to also rise towards her. Trying to catch her breath, Charlie spoke

"Gr... Grant" Elise and Ross instantly grew anxious at the mention of his name

"Grant he's here" Ross stumbled back, as her words hit against his ears. Elise moved closer to her daughter as the shook of what she had just heard sent cold shivers through her skin, her throat dried up ceasing access of the words she wanted to speak. Praying his ageing mind had deceived him Ross spoke in a whisper

"Did you just say Grant is here... as in Summer Bay?" Subconsciously knowing the answer to his question Ross still hoped for a miracle.

Drawing at the little strength she could muster, Charlie lightly nodded her head. Elise instantly tightened her arm around her daughter in an attempt to try and protect her. Looking up at Ross, Elise knew the expression on his face too well; she had seen it for the first time nearly five years prior. Unable to control the anger that was building up within him Ross headed for the front door. Charlie's head shot up at the sound of her father's fading footsteps

"Dad where you going?" Already knowing the answer Charlie began to panic. The last thing she needed was for Ross to go make a scene she didn't want people finding out what Grant had done to her... at least not that way.

"Where is he... Charlie WHERE IS HE?" Ross's anger now stood above all other emotions

"No dad please don't"

"Charlie tell me where you saw him... was it at the beach?" Charlie's silence spoke loudly as Ross Instantly turned towards the door. Reaching for the handle, he stopped dead in his tracks at the sound of his pleading daughter's voice

"Please dad", her words barely leaving her lips

Turing around slowly, Ross walked over to Charlie gently pulling her to her feet as he instantly embraced her in a hug, "I'm sorry...I'm so sorry",a tear rolled down Ross's cheek as he held tightly onto her wanting to take away all the hurt Grant had caused her.

"I want to go with you guys to the city", Charlie spoke the word s before her heart could protest against them

Ross and Elise shot their heads up at their daughter's request. Knowing she may regret her decision Elise quickly spoke up

"Charlie maybe you should take a few days and think about this"

"NO... I can't" Charlie had barely let her mother finish her words before she spoke

"I don't want to think about it, I just want to go... please", Elsie nodded surcomming to her daughters plea

"Charlie are you sure what about Brax and your friends" Ross looked down at his daughter unsure of whether what she wanted was the best thing for her

Charlie's heart began to race at the mention of Brax's name, her tears stinging her eyes as she pictured his mesmerising green eyes, that beautiful smile and those dimples of his that defiled the laws of gravity as they stole the balance from her legs even on solid ground. Her thought's were cruelly overcome by the shooting pain that ripped through her body as she saw Grants face.

"I can't stay here dad... I just want to go", Ross nodded unable to argue with his daughter

"Fine we will all go" said Ross

"Tomorrow?" asked Charlie needing to escape the constant pain and fear she was now feeling

"Charlie that's too soon we..."

"Please we have to... I have too, please"

Ross and Elise looked at each other unsure of how they were going to make this work, but knowing they couldn't deny her of her request. Elise nodded at Ross

"Ok we'll go tomorrow"

After haven stayed in the embrace of her parents a little longer, Charlie excused herself making her way towards her room. Collapsing onto her bed Charlie's tears had yet to stop. Reaching into her bag she picked up her phone. Looking down at the screen only to see Brax's name, her tears intensified as she lost control of her emotions. Having left her countless missed calls he had also left her two messages. Trying to compose herself she opened up the messages first one reading

*Charlie where are you? Can't find you anywhere x*

Followed by

*Girls just told me you weren't feeling well, you should have told me I would have walked you home. Hope you ok, will come and see you after work tomorrow. Love you x*

Charlie stared down at his words as a tear hit the screen of her phone. Curling up on her bed she drew the phone closer to her chest as she spoke

"I love you too" she whispered to herself.

Not thinking it was possible in that moment Charlie hated Grant more than ever. Not only had he brutally stolen her innocence almost five years ago and turned her life upside down, but here he was once again in her present and he was taking something else away from her. LOVE

WOW thank you guys so much for the amazing comments. Not sure how you guys will feel about the next chapter. Enjoy.... I hope :)

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Has her eyes fluttered open Charlie shifted at the sound coming from the opposite side of her bedroom door. Closing her eyes tightly she tries to capture the dream that had just escaped her, in which her and Brax lay peacefully entwined in each other's arms. In her sleep she had felt safe, being with him holding him, but her eyes quickly flung open as she tried to shake the image of Grant that had now invaded her mind reminding her of the happiness she had once lost and that which she was to lose again. Looking down at herself she lay in the same fetal Position she had drifted off in the night before. Looking down at her hands that were still clung tightly towards her chest, there laid her phone with a new message from Brax

*Hy babe, hope you're felling better will come see you later this afternoon x*

The message brought tears to her eyes as it sat comfortably on the screen, if only he knew he wouldn't get the chance to see her, to say bye to her, but she couldn't stay, seeing him would only make it harder for her to leave and she had to, she needed to get away from that monster. Bringing her back to life Charlie looked up as her mother entered her room.

"Hy", Elise sent her a warm but weary smile, "How you feeling this morning?" Elise needed to know that moving away was what her daughter wanted. They had made too many unchangeable mistakes; she didn't want this to be something else they would live to regret. Knowing the real meaning behind her mother's question, Charlie sat up on her bed.

"I'm fine mum and no I haven't changed my mind. I can't be here when he's..." Charlie quickly shut her eyes blocking her tears from appearing. "I just need to go mum". Elise nodded pulling her daughter into a hug. Pulling away she moved a strand of hair away from Charlie's face as she spoke

"Well me and your dad have been up all morning and we actually managed to pack up most of our things, we're gonna take a couple of things with us and the removals will come get the rest later this week. You should probably start too; we should be able to get going this afternoon."

"What about dad and work?"

"He called them last night and accepted the position; he also asked to be transferred as soon as possible, so today will be his last day. He's gonna come to the city straight after work"

Charlie simply nodded as she stood up from her bed "Mum is it ok if I go to the beach just for a short while?"

Elise nodded as she too got to her feet "Sure, I'll start packing up here" Elise left the room leaving Charlie on her own once more. Unsure if what she was about to do was the right thing, she chose to ignore the doubt in her head as she picked up her phone

*Hy Bianca, Could you and the girls meet me at the beach in five, its urgent*

Almost immediately her phone vibrated

*yh, we're on our way x*

Walking into the bathroom Charlie washed the previous night's makeup off her face before changing into her sweats and heading towards the beach

Charlie slowed her walk if at all possible, as she spotted all three girls sat on a bench on the beach. Taking a deep breath she tugged at the sleeves of her jumper before making her way towards them.

"Hy guys", all three girls shot their heads up simultaneously as they looked up at a tired eyed Charlie.

"Hy, how you feeling?" Bianca knew that what she had asked was a stupid question. None of the three girls needed to be told that the girl before them was far from fine or ok, but what else could she have said

"Fine thanks", Charlie attempted to smile over at the girls but was unable to hold back her tears at the thought of what she was about to reveal to them. Noticing her tears the girls instantly jumped up

"Ok Charlie last night I was worried, but now I'm just freaking out", Martha held her friends hand hoping she would open up to them

"I'm s... sorry... I" Leah wrapped her arms around Charlie as she tried to speak. Realising Charlie form her grip Leah stepped back a little trying to catch her gaze

"Charlie you have nothing to be sorry about... we're all just a little confused about all this", Charlie looked up at her friends as their gaze fixated on her. How was she supposed to do this, how does a person begin to tell people about something so horrible on top of that how was she gonna tell them in a matter of hours she would once again be running away. Pushing her thoughts to one side she sighed lightly trying to piece the words of her sentence together

"I have to tell you guys something", simply nodding at her all three girls held their gaze waiting for her to proceed

"The guy from yesterday that was with B...Brax" she stuttered at the mention of his name as the painful reality of possibly never seeing him again hit her hard. Chocking back her tears she continued

"Before I moved to Summer Bay, I used to date him; this was nearly five years ago"

"Is that why you got so upset, you don't want him telling Brax?" Bianca asked a little confused as to why having dated him would cause her such distress. Charlie shook her head as she continued

"No it's not that", she could feel the palms of her hands sweating as her heart began pounding dangerously against her chest, but she knew she had to tell them, she was desperate to get the consuming weight of her past and secrets of her shoulders.

"We were together for about four months but hadn't slept together, I wanted to be sure I was ready and he didn't seem to mind" the girls stared profoundly at her eagerly but almost afraid to hear the rest of her story. Feeling a lump form in her throat as that night played back in her mind, Charlie took a deep breath in trying to get rid of it as she continued

"W... we went to a party one night and I wasn't feeling too well, so I went and laid down in one of the rooms", her tears had now turned to waterfalls as they ran down her face. Taking another deep breath she felt Martha's grip on her hand tighten.

"After a while G...Grant came in to join me. He was so sympathetic and sweet to start off with but then he started kissing my neck" This time Charlie tightened her grip on Martha's hand looking for the courage to carry on. As she felt Leah's hand on her shoulder she proceeded

"I... I told him n...no, that's when he flipped, it was like he was a totally different person". Charlie noticed that all three girls' eyes were now glazed over with tears; they knew what was coming just as much as she did. But she looked away; she couldn't see them like that especially not when the tears were for her

"He p... pushed me up against the bed, I begged him to stop b... it was like he was no longer himself. At my attempt to scream he put his hand over my mouth as he smiled down at me, I told him to stop, I did... but he... he just wouldn't". By now Charlie could hear the almost silent cries of her friends.

"I felt paralysed, like I was looking down at what was happening to me, I told him no, I promise I did" without warning her legs gave way as she tumbled down onto the sand. Bianca, Leah and Martha quickly followed suit as they dropped besides her trying to stable her, but unsure of what to do. All three girls had let their tears begin to fall freely knowing what was coming, the words she was about to say. Looking up at them Charlie finished off with the little strength she could muster

"He... he ra... raped me, he raped me", Charlie tears filled the rough morning wind like lightening, the waves crashed harshly almost as if they could feel her pain, as the wind hit against her cheeks like knives.

"I said no, I promise I told him to stop" Almost as if communicating with each other mentally all three girls wrapped their arms around Charlie as they let their own tears fall brutally against the sand at the sound of Charlie's pain.

"Charlie we are so sorry", Bianca spoke as she wiped away the tears on Charlie's face

"You should never have had to experience that, nobody should ever have to go through that" Leah looked over at Charlie sympathetically. Not saying another word all four girls sat in silence for a while comforting Charlie with their mere presence.

Martha's mind had been on overdrive since Charlie's revelation, and there was a thought that had rested in her mind that she couldn't seem to shake

"Charlie", the girls looked up at Martha as she broke the silence

"Yh"

"You said it happened nearly five years ago?" Martha asked wearily, but somehow working out what her friend was trying to ask Charlie decided to tell them the rest of her story

"Yh it was nearly five years ago, but I dint report it until I found out I was pregnant, but by then it was too late" Leah and Bianca let out a gasp as their hands flew to their mouths

"You... you was pregnant", asked Bianca trying to grasp what Charlie had just revealed to them, Charlie nodded slowly before turning to Martha at the sound of her voice

"Oh my God she's yours isn't she?" Martha knew she was right, their uncanning resemblance and all their almost scary similarities, she had to be right. Charlie nodded in response knowing that Martha was talking about Ruby

"Yh she is", Leah and Bianca watched on unsure of what or who Martha were talking about.

"Who is yours?" Asked Bianca,

Looking over at Bianca and Leah Charlie replied

"Ruby", at this both girls let out an even bigger gasp as a knowing look sat upon Martha's face

"Ruby is your daughter? Leah wasn't sure if she had heard correctly

"Yh ruby is my daughter", a small smile broke out on Charlie face as she thought of Ruby, the only good thing to have come out of all her pain.

"But... but", Bianca struggled for the right words, knowing what her friend was struggling to ask Charlie responded

"When I had Ruby, I wasn't coping well, actually I wasn't coping at all, so when mum and dad offered to take full responsibility of her I thought it was the right thing to do, not for me but for Ruby. She deserved better than a mother like me and father like..." she came to a pause unable to continue. The thought of Grant being connected to her beautiful innocent daughter in any way made her stomach churn. All her friends sat before her trying to take inall Charlie had just told them.

"Charlie you have to tell Brax, he's gonna be working with the guy and..."

"Wait what...?" Charlie interrupted Martha

"What do you mean working with him?"

"Well Jack told me last night that Grant got a job at the resort"

Charlie realised that Grant must have been the new guy that Brax had been telling her about on the beach a few days earlier, if only he knew the reason Grant had seemed so familiar was because of Ruby.

"No I can't tell him" Charlie stood up abruptly

"What... Charlie you have to, he..." Leah tried pleading with her friend but was interrupted by an adamant Charlie

"No I can't ok" looking at her friends she knew it was best to tell them

"I'm leaving today" All three girls looked at her dumbfounded

"Leaving, what do you mean leaving... where you going?" Bianca hoped what she was thinking was wrong

"I'm mean leaving Summer Bay, we're going this afternoon once we're done packing" Charlie felt herself tear up at the realisation that she was not only going to be leaving Brax behind but also her friends

"Charlie you can't ", Martha pleaded

"I have to"

"But what about Brax" asked Martha "You just gonna leave him behind?"

Charlie felt herself chock up, she didn't want to leave him, up until the previous night she was sure she was going to be with him forever, never having him I her life wasn't something she had ever imagined and still here she was running and leaving him. But she couldn't stay; she couldn't be in the same space as Grant.

"I have to", her voice was barely audible "Guys you can't tell anyone any of what I just told you. Just please stay away from him"

"But Charlie" Leah went to speak but was interrupted

"Please just do this for me guys", Bianca, Leah and Martha gave each other a weary glance before nodding in acceptance to her request

Unable to hold her emotions back Bianca leapt forward wrapping her arms tightly around Charlie "We're gonna miss you so much"

Leah and Martha joined in on the embrace unable to protest against Charlie's request. Charlie pulled away wiping her tears from her face with the sleeves of her jumper.

"You guys have to promise me you won't tell a soul aboutany of what I told you today, not even Jack or Miles and Brax especially Brax" All three girls responded at the same time

"We promise"

Charlie smiled at her friends feeling fortunate that she had met such amazing people

"I'm gonna miss you guys so much, please take care of Brax for me, and Bianca, Heath is a lovely person if you like him don't let anything hold you back" Bianca nodded in understanding . "I had better go we should be off in a few hours and I haven't even packed"

All four girls shared one final hug as they bid Charlie farewell "Hy Charlie will you just let us know when you get settled in the city, promise we won't tell the boys", Bianca hoped Charlie would give them the opportunity to keep in touch with her

"Yh I can do that", Charlie smiled at her friends as she made her way home ready to pack up her life once again.

"I don't wants to go, I wants to stay here", Ruby cried as her mother loaded the car with the last of the things they were taking along with them

"Ruby we have to ok"

"No, I no go" Ruby ran over to Charlie hiding behind her legs "Lottie tell mummy we no go" Ruby let a tear roll down her cheeks. Bending down to her level Charlie pulled Ruby close to her

"Dad got a new job so we have to go so we can be with him. I know, how about you come in my car with me?"

Ruby looked up as Charlie wiped her tear from her cheek

"But I no get to see Casey no mores and Bwax and Eat"

"I'm sure we will come back one day and you will get to see them again", Ruby pondered it for a while

"Lottie pwomise", Ruby held her pinkie finger up

"Yh I promise", Charlie wrapped her pinkie finger around Ruby's as she pulled her in for a hug.

"Ready to go?" Elise approached the girls, Ruby nodded her head

"Yh but I go with Lottie"

"Are you sure?" Elise looked over at Charlie

"Yh" Charlie put Ruby car seat in her car strapping her in as she closed the door

"Ok now drive safe"

"Mum we'll be fine we're gonna be right behind you" Elsie smiled at her daughter as she made her way towards her car. Standing still for a moment, Charlie took in the beauty and the fresh air of Summer Bay, remembering all the wonderful memories she had made there and how big a difference it had made in her life, walking up to her front door she placed the envelope down hoping Brax would find it. Now sitting in her car she took a deep breath as she started the engine, this is it she thought, this was finally it.

"Lottie music pwease" Charlie laughed at Ruby before turning the radio on and Drove out of Summer Bay. Looking at the summer Bay sign that now read 'thank you for coming to Summer Bay' Charlie wiped her tear away, she was the one that should have been saying thank you, this placed had returned laughter and happiness into her life. It had had taken the darkness in her life and shone light upon it, it had given her unbreakable friendships but most of all it had given her love, the kind of love many people were never blessed enough to have experienced and for that she was thankful. But her past had once again taken away her happiness and brought back the shallow darkness she had worked so hard to escape, and for this she would never forgive Grant. He had managed to take her away from the one thing that gave her back her life 'BRAX'. Looking down at her wrist, she admired the Bracelet that Brax had given her, reading the words on the pendant she smiled grievously to herself hoping that one day even if just for a slit second she would get to see his beautiful face once again.

Knowing Brax wouldn't have yet finished work; Ross made his way over to the Braxton's house before leaving Summer Bay. He parked outside the front knowing that this may very well Break Brax, but hoped he would somehow find the strength to move on. Unsure of how it had happened or when, Ross now saw the three Braxton boys as family, he cared for them, worried about them and prayed for the best for them. He had found sons in all three boys, but now he had to leave, Charlie was his number one priority and for her he had to do this. He walked to the front door placing both envelopes in front of the door before making his way back to his car. He hoped Brax would do as the letter instructed and would find solace in knowing that if either he or Elise had another choice they wouldn't be leaving. Sat back in his car Ross started the engine as he too made his way to the city saying goodbye to summer bay.

Thanks for the comments :) hope you guys enjoy this chapter, its quiet a short chapter as it focuses on Charlie and Ruby. Not too sure how I fell about this chapter :unsure: but wanted to post it before I started fiddling with it again. I know I haven't shown Brax's (or Heath and Casey's) reaction to them leaving but I promise all that will be addressed gradually in the next few updates. Enjoy :)

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Ten years later

"I hope I'm doing the right thing... I mean it's been ten years, what if this was a bad idea, I...?"

"No it's not ok, you're doing the right thing and we can't wait to see you guys" the voice on the other line replied

"Yh I've missed you guys as well, I guess I will be seeing you in a few hours"

"Yh can't wait", the voice one the other line replied with great excitement

"Yh me too... bye" the line went dead

Sighing lightly as she hung up the phone, she began rethinking the decision she was making. Was she right in going back, Could she face all the questions that she had left unanswered to so many people. What was she to say, how was she supposed to explain the blackness that had left her life for a season only to return unannounced sending her down that same lonely path that she had once departed from? There was no denying that even as the years had slowly but surely passed she had failed to fill the void that she had created by her actions, she had caused her own heart to break when she ran. Losing herself in her thoughts she wondered, was she such a coward that she couldn't have mustered up the courage to fight instead of fleeing or was it truly the fear that she had carried around since she met him, the fear of seeing another emotion other than love in the eyes of the person she had fallen so deeply in love with. She was sure her breath would have forever escaped her if she saw anger or disgust in his eyes and surly that would have been the result had he found out... wouldn't it? She kept him in the dark out of fear of him leaving her but this same fear still managed to take her away from him.

"You ready?" a smile broke out on her face as she looked up at the beautiful girl that stood before her, "Come on we should have left time ago", the young girl ushered her to her feet

"Someone's keen" she laughed at the young girl's eagerness

"I know, now come on", the young girl pulled her along as they made their way out of the house, and back to the place that had once brought them both happiness.

The car ride was filled with silence, but the noise evident within their silence worried the young girl. She could see the nervousness in her face and the worry in her eyes. Although she knew there must have been another reason to them leaving all those years ago, she had not yet had the pleasure of being told why. A lot of things had been revealed in the last couple of years and a lot had changed, she only hoped that going back to this place would help them both make a new start and find the happiness the woman next her seemed to have left behind. Although only being young she remembered happiness and laughter in this place, and she hoped those things still resided there. Looking once again at the woman sat beside her she smiled to herself, if only she knew just how much she remembered about this place, but she wasn't to say anything she just hoped once they reached their destination things would begin to fall into place, even if she had to give them a little nudge in the right direction. Deciding to break the silence she spoke

"Thank you" Unsure of what the young girl was referring to she took a quick but confused glance in her direction

"For what?" she asked

"For keeping your promise" the young girl replied. Still confused as to what exactly it was they were talking about, she raised her eyebrow...

"What promise?"

"When we left you promised me that we would come back one day... so thank you for keeping your promise", the young girl smiled over at her

"You remember? I mean you were only little", Smiling over at her almost cunningly the young girl spoke

"There are a lot of things I remember". Smiling at one another both girls sealed their lips letting the silence once again consume the car as they let their thoughts take them captive.

'There it is' she thought as they drove passed the familiar sign 'Welcome to Summer Bay'. Remembering the last time she had drove past that same spot and how different it was to that moment. She had left with regret, fear but most importantly she had left heartbroken, she had broken her own heart when she bid this place farewell and yet here she was, she had once again come face to face with the place that had taught her how to live, how to laugh and how to love. She may have left in fear but she wasn't to return in such form. She had long ago taken control of her life, defeating her fears and conquered that same darkness that had followed her like a shadow. No longer was she willing to let the demons of her past play puppet masters with her life, she needed to conquer them once and for all, so now she was running back in hope of regaining that happiness, joy, laughter and maybe even love that she had left behind.

Making a detour, she parked the car as both girls made their way towards the beach; she hungered to feel the familiar sand between her toes hoping they would welcome her back openly. As her feet hit the softness of the sand, she sighed with gladness, there it was, that feeling, how she had missed this. Looking down at the blue crystal ocean as it sparkled against the hot sand, she smiled uncontrollably as her gaze feel upon that same spot that had not only changed her life but had resided in her mind, the memory was as clear as her present being. She automatically closed her eyes replying that beautiful night in her mind, she had met the ocean with sorrow that evening but then he came and turned that all around. His touch, his presence, their first kiss, they took her sorrow away and turned them into a distant memory and everyday with him felt like a beautiful dream. How she longed to relive that dream, that night, she would gladly take back the sorrow and the pain she felt that night if it meant she could have him come to her side and be with her. Letting the coolness of the water hit her feet as she edged closer to the ocean, she found herself wondering how she had managed to stay away for so long, she longed to allow the beauty and the familiarity of the ocean cascade down her body allowing her to relish in the memories that resided within them. Taking a step back she glance over at the young girl that was now stood beside her, she too seemed mesmerised by the crystal blue ocean. Her big brown eyes lit up as the water greeted her, running towards her feet.

"I never want to leave this place", the young girl spoke but her eyes remained on the ocean before her

"Neither do I", she smiled as they both settled themselves down onto the sand unable to tear themselves away

As the wind became harsher and the daylight had finally retired, she reluctantly parted herself away from the memories that had brought a settling smiled upon her face.

"We best get going, they're probably wondering where we are", She stood up as the young girl nodded and followed suit. Dusting themselves off they slowly made their way towards the car savouring the feeling of the delicate sand beneath their feet. Looking over at the young girl she recalled their earlier conversation. If she had remembered the promise did that mean she remembered all three of them too, did she also remember the other part of her promise. Convincing herself that if the young girl had remembered them she would have said something she pushed the thought out of her mind as they entered the car.

The drive to the house was a short one. Turing off the engine, her smile only grow further across her face. This was it, there was no turning back, no more running and she wouldn't have it any other way. Her earlier doubts had now disappeared and where now replaced with that of eagerness and want.

"Come on", the young girl had already made her way out of the car as the smile on her face refused to fade. She didn't know what it was, she had not seen this place since her much younger days, she found there was something about Summer Bay that brought her comfort and after all that had happened in the last couple of years and all the struggles they had been through she needed comfort, they both needed comfort, they needed a true home and she was sure this was it.

"I'm coming" She smiled at herself, she was happy that the young girl was just as happy to be there as she was, but there was that one thing that worried her. But once again she shook away the feeling, he was gone she just hoped he would stay gone, for the both of them. Reaching the front door of the house she had been directed to she took a deep breath as she raised her hand to the door

*knock knock*

She lightly hit her hand against the door as her excitement began to overtake her, somewhat taken aback as the door swung open instantly, she giggled to herself as she was met by three eager faces.

"Charlie, Ruby", all three faces leapt forward pulling them into a warm and much missed embrace

Thoughts? :unsure:

Thank for the reviews :D . I know you guys have a lot of questions but I promise they will all be answered soon. This chapter was rushed as I have had very little time to write, its not as long as I would like it to be but didn't want ot keep you guys waiting to long. hope its ok :)

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

"Charlie, Ruby" all three faces leapt forward pulling them into a warm and much missed embrace

"Hy guys" releasing both her and Ruby from the embrace Charlie looked over at her three friends happy to once again be in their presence

Looking from Charlie to her friends Ruby spoke up "So are you guys gonna let us in or..." Ruby smirked over at all four girls as they quickly made way

"Come in... come on", both Charlie and Ruby were pulled into the house and directed towards the couch

"It's so good to have you guys back"

"It's good to be back", Charlie looked over at Bianca, Leah and Martha, happy to once again see them. All making small talk Charlie knew there was so much more her friends wanted to talk to her about, but very little they could say in front of Ruby. Thankfully Bianca's younger sister walked in on time

"Hy Ruby, Charlie", April looked over at the two familiar faces

"Hy April", Charlie and Ruby spoke in unison

"Err why don't you guys go and catch up in Aprils room", Ruby and April looked over at Bianca before looking at each other knowing that was code for 'get out we need to talk', they had heard it so many times over the years.

"Yh sure", Ruby stood up as both girls made their way towards Aprils room. Hearing Aprils door close behind them, Martha, Leah and Bianca instantly turned their gaze back to Charlie, causing her to laugh lightly

"Ok guys you're officially freaking me out"

"Sorry it's just you're here" Leah's smile settled on her face resembling that of Martha's and Bianca's. Laughing at her friends Charlie responded

"You guys are acting like you're the ones that haven't seen me in years. You saw me six months ago".

Since leaving the Bay the girls had decided they would visit Charlie once in a while, although she was reluctant at first Charlie finally gave in, if she was being honest she was grateful to have such supportive friends, she had already lost Brax she was didn't want to lose them too.

"Yh but that wasn't really under the best of circumstances", Bianca paused as she remembered what they had gone down to the city for the last time they went to visit Charlie. Noticing the change in mood and on Charlie's face she quickly proceeded "But anyway now you're back and hopefully for good" All three girls looked at Charlie expectantly hoping that she would stick around this time.

Catching the anxious look on all their faces Charlie laughed wondering what good deed she had done to deserve them as friends "Yh I'm back for good" all three girls instantly sighed in relief happy she hadn't changed her mind.

Charlie's eyes finally wondered down to Bianca bump "Wow you've gone so big; I can't believe you're already eight months gone" Charlie placed her hand on Bianca's baby bump almost in awe

Bianca giggled as she looked down at Charlie's hand "Yh I know, this little one isn't really making things easy for me, you should see me trying to get up the stairs, Reece says I look like a penguin", all four girls burst out laughing

"How is he, I bet he's all grown up now", asked Charlie

Bianca laughed lightly "Yh at the age of four, he has himself convinced he is a big boy, he's so much like Heath it's scary"

Charlie laughed lightly "I bet he has that same sense of humour that Heath has"

"Oh like you wouldn't believe, he is defiantly a Braxton"

"I see you convinced him to leave the house", Charlie noticed Heath wasn't around

"Yh it took a while. He didn't want to leave me on my own but I told him Martha and Leah were coming over so him and the guys have gone away on a guys weekend, I figured you would want some time to settle in before seeing them", Bianca smiled over at Charlie noticing the look on her face, she knew why it had changed, but before she could say anything Martha spoke up

"He's doing ok ... you can ask about him" Charlie smiled at how well her friends knew her

"I know I just... the thought of seeing him again", Charlie felt her palms begin to sweat before Bianca took her hands in hers giving it a reassuring squeeze

Needing to distract herself Charlie continued "How's Casey? She couldn't deny she had missed both him and Heath nearly as much as she had missed Brax

"Yeah he's good, but so different from his brothers. He's so shy and sweet" Charlie smiled imagining what he must be like now.

"Where are all the kids" asked Charlie

"Up stairs sleeping finally, I just hope Sophia doesn't wake up on the way home ", Martha sighed

They all talked for a little while longer as Charlie caught up on the things she had missed. Leah and Miles had been married five year with two kids VJ who four and lily who was two, Martha had also gotten married six years prior and had a little girl Sophia who was four and Bianca and Heath were now engaged too and would soon be married, they had a boy Reece who was four and were now expecting their second child. Charlie admired her friends as they spoke; she was happy that their lives had turned out so perfect but felt a pang of jealousy at the turn her life had taken.

"I still can't believe Jack is in the force and Miles a teacher... well actually Miles I believe he always seemed to weirdly enjoy studying", all four girls burst out laughing at Charlie's comment.

"And you", Bianca added "I still can't believe you're in the force too"

"Yh I know... it just seemed right you know", all three girls nodded understanding her desired profession. Although all four girls had been trying to avoid it they knew the topic was bound to come up sooner or later and Leah figured sooner was better

"Charlie", Leah paused as all three girls looked in her direction

"Are you planning on telling anyone about Grant...at least Brax?" Martha and Bianca gaze instantly shifted to Charlie, they were secretly grateful to Leah for having the courage to bring up what they had all been pondering

Charlie felt her palms start to sweat up again as her heart rate picked up pace. How was she gonna tell him, how was she supposed to start

"No ... there's no point", they all stared at her shocked

"Charlie what do you mean there no point, what about when he finds out about Ruby" Martha quickly spoke

"Look like you guys said Grant as moved away and he probably isn't coming back so what would be the point, me telling anyone isn't going to change that, its not like he can be charged for it, like I told you there's no prove", Charlie understood where her friends were coming from but telling Brax was something she wasn't ready to do

"Charlie there is a point; Brax needs to know, all the guys do... all of Summer Bay does. Do you know how disgusted we felt when we saw him around the guys and even with Brax...? Charlie you have to let them know the kind of monster he really is" Bianca pleaded heavily as Leah picked up where she left off

"Charlie we have had to watch him play best friends with the guys, do you know how sick it makes me feel knowing what he did to you and seeing him laugh like he has no care in the world, and every time the guys ask why we don't seem to like him we have to make up some stupid excuse when all I wanna do is tell them how much of a monster he is... Charlie you have to"

"Guys please... I'm so sorry I know it must have been hard for you but I can't, I have to think about Ruby, she doesn't know he was here, she doesn't even know he's the reason we left, I don't want people looking at her differently because of his mistakes, I just..." Charlie looked over at her friends as their glare burned holes into her, and finally a tear rolled down her face.

Moving closer to Charlie Martha caught her eye as she spoke "Charlie we know you're scared but he needs to pay for what he did, why should he laugh when all he has done is brought tears to your eyes and fear in your life?, he's the reason you gave Brax up he's the reason you left, how can you be willing to forget that, he doesn't deserve to breath the same air as you"

"But Ruby..." Charlie sniffed away her tears

Bianca quickly spoke "Charlie Ruby is a beautiful kid, no one is gonna look at her differently, she can't be judged based on whom her father is, and I know she would want justice just as much as we do... Charlie don't you need Brax, Heath and even Casey to know why you guys left, don't they deserve that? They need to know you guys didn't just leave because you didn't care"

"He does know I cared about him, that we cared about all three of them, he must know I mean I left him a letter... did he not see it", Charlie looked at her friends looking for answers. Surly he must have seen her letter

"Heaths never said anything about a letter but even still you didn't see them after you left, Casey kept asking when he would see you guys again for months, Heath well... Heath was Heath using his humour to cover everything up and Brax..." Charlie let another tear fall as Bianca mentioned his name "He just completely shut down for months, it was like even when he was smiling he was miserable, he asked us so many times if we knew anything and we lied Charlie, we put you first, but now you need to start learning how to put yourself first"

"I didn't mean to hurt him I..."

"Charlie we know you didn't but he doesn't know that does he, you have to tell him not just for him but for yourself... please Charlie"

Looking over at all her friends Charlie knew they were right; she should have done this a long time ago. Charlie nodded slowly before replying "Yh alright but not now ok not straight away, I will do it in my own time, I still need to tell Ruby about him first", the girls nodded instantly, glad that they had gotten through to Charlie, they just hoped she would stick to her word and find the courage to finally reveal the reason she had ran ten years ago.

Ruby and April walked into the lounge carefully studying all the girls

"Are you guys done talking now?" Asked Ruby, all four women laughed lightly as they nodded their heads

"You guys ok?" Charlie looked over at both girls

"I'm a little hungry... actually no I'm a lot hungry", Ruby smiled over at the women

"How about we order in some pizzas?" asked Bianca

Ruby and April nodded in response before they all started laughing at Bianca's failing attempt to resurface from the couch

"OK yh very funny guys", Bianca slumped back down admitting defeat

"How about I get the phone" April asked still laughing as she picked up the phone and handed it to Bianca

"So what do you guys want?" Bianca asked

"Meat lover", both Charlie and Ruby responded in unison. Leah, Martha and Bianca started laughing

Ruby and Charlie looked at each other as their smiles took their faces captive.

Standing in the kitchen of Bianca's house she along with Leah and Martha watched Ruby, April and Charlie in the living room as they shared jokes between one another. They were proud as to how far Charlie had come; she seemed so different compared to the fragile girl that had left ten years ago. Sighing lightly Bianca wasn't sure if it was right that they were keeping her in the dark, she knew Charlie was bound to find out eventually. They had managed to convince themselves that she probably wouldn't have even cared but she knew as well as Martha and Leah that it wasn't true.

"Guys do you think we're doing the right thing by not telling her I mean she is gonna find out eventually don't you think she should be prepared" Bianca turned to Leah and Martha; they both instantly picked up on what she was referring to.

"If we had told her she probably wouldn't have come back... we couldn't take that risk." replied Leah.

"And you never know it might not even bother her" Both Leah and Bianca glared at Martha

"Ok so she probably will be bothered but what other choice do we have" asked Martha

"We could just tell her" suggested Bianca

"And how do we do that? Oh yeah sorry Charlie we just forgot to mention a little something to you. We have spoken to her tons of times and seen her twice since and we still failed to mention it" replied Martha

"Right and when she sees them you don't think it would be worse that we knew and hadn't mentioned it or even given her a heads up?" retorted Bianca

"Look guys can we just worry about that bridge when we get to it. She only just got here we don't want to give her any reason to go running again... ok? Leah looked at both Martha and Bianca as she spoke; they simply nodded before turning at the sound of Charlie's voice

"Guys I suggest you get out here before we finish up all these pizzas"

"Yep coming" replied Bianca as she walked back into the living room closely followed by Leah and Martha

Thank you guys for the lovely comments. Hope you enjoy this next one just as much as the others :D

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Looking over at Leah and Martha Charlie groaned as they walked through the house

"How are you guys so awake, you went to sleep the same time as me", Charlie moaned as she held her cup of coffee tightly in her hands

Both Leah and Martha laughed as Martha responded

"With the kids, trust me we're used to it"

"You guys sure you don't want any help unpacking? asked Leah as she and Martha watched on as Charlie's and Ruby's things arrived in the removal van

"Guys we'll be fine. You best get going we don't want the men wondering where you got to when they get back and Leah Miles as been alone with the kids since last night and Martha your kid is still at Bianca's", said Charlie as she looked over at her friends through her tired eyes

"Fine we'll go but we'll be back tonight" said Martha

Charlie simply grinned over at her friends nodding in response, she knew full well that arguing against this idea was futile and to be honest she was glad to spend as much time with them as possible

"Bye", Charlie called out to her friends

"Bye", both girls replied in unison as they left the house making their way back to the comfort of their own homes.

Once they were out of sight and all Charlie's and Ruby's things had been brought into their new home, Charlie slumped down onto the couch as the removal men left

"Finally", she sighed heavily as she looked over at Ruby who was laughing lightly as she shook her head

"What's so funny?" Charlie turned to her questionably

"You that's what... why you sitting down. We haven't even started unpacking yet"

"But I'm so tired, the girls had me up most of the night" Charlie whined as she began sulking causing Ruby to laugh louder

"How can you be tired you've been up less than three hours and all you've done is watch the removal men bring our stuff into the house

"I will have you know keeping an eye on those men was very hard work", Charlie sent Ruby a cheeky grin

"Yh, I'm sure it was"

"Anyway we can unpack later, right now I just want to sit here and do nothing" Charlie lay flat on the couch

"Well in that case I'm off to the beach, been desperate to get back there since we left yesterday... how about you come with me?" asked Ruby, she knew full well the answer was most likely no but she figured she would try anyway. Another thing she knew about that Charlie was unaware of was that they had left without bidding goodbye to the Braxton boys. She and April had overheard Charlie and the girls talking about it on one of the occasions the girls had come down to the city to visit.

Charlie smiled over at Ruby "No thats fine, I think I'm just going to lazy it out here"

In all honesty she wanted more than anything to go down to the beach, but the possibility of bumping into Brax or any of the Braxton boys wouldn't allow her leave the comfort and barriers the four walls of the house now provided. She sighed lightly as Ruby made her way to the door

"Ok then bye", Ruby made her way out the back door

"Ok but be careful, and don't be too long", before she had finished Ruby was already out of ear shot. She slumped back down onto the couch as she studied the new environment within the four walls. For the first time since they had arrived back in Summer Bay she was alone, alone with her thoughts as they embraced her tightly allowing her to get lost within them. She thought about her parents and what she would give to have them beside her to tell her everything was going to be ok. She needed them to reassure her she was making the right decision in moving back. Then there was the thought of Ruby, at the mere age of fourteen she had the emotional development and strength of an adult, she was more than grateful to have Ruby by her side as she wondered how she would have coped otherwise. Then there was that one thought that had ceased to escape her for a decade. How could she still feel this way just by the simple thought of him? Surely this wasn't normal, people always forget, people always move on so why was it that ten years later although everything around her changed she still remained in the same space. That feeling of want, that feeling of need, it was as strong as it was all those years ago. Why could she not let go? Even as she resided thousands of miles away, the gravitational pull she constantly felt towards Brax had not faded nor grown weak, surely this wasn't normal. Closing her eyes she let sleep overcome her body as she drifted off into her thoughts.

"Hy babe", Heath gave Bianca a kiss as he walked into the house dropping his bag on the floor

"Hy" replied Bianca, "How was your guys getaway?"

"Good... really good actually, where's Reece?"

"Still asleep... he wore himself out last night"

"And the little one" Heath placed his hand on Bianca growing bump

"This little one is doing just fine... but she does seem to take pleasure in shoving her foot into my bladder... I've been to the toilet FIVE times this morning" Heath let out a small laugh at his fiancée's comment as her placed a kiss on her temple.

"Babe is it ok if I go for a quick surf with the boys?"

"Yh sure, I'm gonna go have a lie down anyway"

"You ok?" asked Heath as a look of concern grew upon his face. Bianca chuckled a little at his facial expression

"Relax babe, I told you Leah and Martha were round last night so it was a long night and plus your daughter is wearing me out" Bianca placed her hand over her bump. She chose to leave out the bit about Charlie and Ruby also being there knowing it would probably be too much for him to take in, she also knew Charlie wasn't ready to deal with the questions of her sudden disappearance, and knowing Heath finding her and questioning her is exactly what he would do.

Heath looked at her unsure

"Heath I promise I'm fine, now go"

"Ok but if at any time you need me call ok... I promise I won't be long" Giving her another kiss Heath ran up the stairs quickly changing into his board shorts, grabbed his surf board and headed out the door

Strolling along the beach Ruby held her sandals in her hand as she allowed her feet wallow in the soft feeling of the sand. She took her strides slowly wanting to relish in the feeling for as long as possible. Suddenly stopping in her tracks she looked over at the four guys surfing in the ocean. She watched on as they each rod the waves almost trying to out do one another. As they emerged onto dry land her memory clicked into place as she instantly recognised their faces. Her eyes darted between three of the guys as she seemingly ignored the presence of the fourth. How could she feel such familiarity with those she had departed from for so long? How could she be sure it was even them? What if it was just wishing thinking? No it must be them; she recognised them from the picture Charlie had kept with her. She had only been four years of age when she was forced to leave them, so why was it that she felt such an attachment? Her eyes were now fixated on the younger of the four.

"Casey" she spoke his name to herself almost as if trying to convince herself it was truly him. She watched as he laughed with the guys. She smiled as she studied his dark hair and hazel eyes, why could she still remember the time she had spent with all of them, most especially Casey. Unknowingly she let out a light giggle as Brax hit Heath across the back of his head, she couldn't believe how different things were but at the same time how little things had changed. Drifting back into reality she quickly noticed Casey was now looking in her direction

"Crap", she hastily turned on her heels walking as fast as she could in the opposite direction trying her best not to make it to obvious that she was trying to escape. Although she had yet to voice it Ruby knew that Charlie didn't want the guys knowing they were back yet, but the one thing she still had no answer to was why they had left in the first place, Charlie kept telling her it was because Ross got a promotion in the city but Ruby knew too well that was a mere lie to cover the truth that they didn't want her to know. Turning around once more she saw that Casey's glare was still fixated on her and Brax had now joined him. Quickly turning back she made her way up the beach, hoping they had not figured out who she was. finally escaping the sight she sighed heavily, she wanted more than anything to have been able to go talk to them but she had to think of Charlie. But she couldn't hide for much longer and she didn't want to. 'Charlie will have to see them soon' she thought to herself, they couldn't hide. She was going to the same school as Casey and Charlie was starting work with Martha's husband, surely she would have to confront them soon. dragging herself away from her thoughts Ruby began making her way home.

"Casey... CASE", Heath shouted over at Casey for the third time and yet he was not dignified with a response. As Brax, Heath and Jack glared at one another, the slowly followed the direction Casey's eyes were set on. Heath laughed as he spotted the girl that was now walking away with her back turned to them.

"Aw Casey got a little crush" Heath teased Casey as he nudged him lightly, Heath and Jack both laughed as they turned to Brax who seemed to have also been hypnotised by the young girl. As she glanced back once more, Brax noticed something about her instantly.

"Brax don't you think she's a little young for you and plus I'm sure you already have..." Before Jack could finish Brax punched him in the arm

"Shut up the pair of ya" all he got in response was more laughter. Turning to Casey Brax spoke

"Do you know her from somewhere?" the girl reminded him of someone but he wouldn't dare say who. Although it took him forever he had grown to accept that they were gone, she was gone and they were never going to return to them. He shook his head lightly trying to get rid of the thought of her but he knew too well that once the thought was planted getting rid of it was an impossible task, he sighed lightly before turning his attention back to Casey at the sound of his voice

"I don't know... she seems familiar. For a moment I thought it was..." Casey paused as he looked over at Brax, eventually deciding against finishing his sentence, he shrugged the feeling off

"You know what... it's probably just some girl from school", He picked up his board as he made his way up the beach, his gaze lingered in the direction the girl had taken, Surely it wasn't her, he hadn't seen her in ten years so surely he wouldn't recognise her... right?, they were only four, there was no way it could have been her. Casey knew he was lying to himself. He knew Brax and Heath felt as though he didn't remember because of his age, but how could he forget, how could he not remember? At the age of fourteen he still had a clear image of all four of them in his mind, he couldn't possibly forget. They were his family, they were family to all three boys but the question he had yet to have answered till date was why did they leave? Did they not want them anymore? 'NO' he thought to himself, there had to be another reason. He remembered the love that both Elise and Ross had shown him, the way they had cared for them when their mother upped and disappeared, there was no way that love was not real. He only wished he could somehow see them again if for nothing else but to ask why. He shifted his gaze in the direction he was walking in but was still unable to shake the feeling that had resided upon him at the sight of that girl. Sighing heavily he knew voicing his thoughts would be a mistake, it had taken so long for Brax to get to the place he was today, Bringing up the memory of the family they once had would only remind him of her, and although his older brothers never spoke about it he knew they thought about them just as much as he did, he knew Brax still thought about Charlie as much now as when she had first left without a warning

Thoughts? :unsure:Really wanted to focus a little on Casey and Ruby seeing as they were only four when Charlie and Ruby left

Not my best work but still hope you guys enjoy, I promise Chax reunion is right round the corner. Enjoy :)

CHAPTER NINETEEN

"Charlie?" Ruby called out as she walked into the house, "Hy Charlie" Ruby looked over at Charlie who had yet to respond to her voice but instead was staring at the two Urns that sat on the centre table before her. Noticing what Charlie was staring at Ruby's eyes instantly glazed over as she remembered the promise both her and Charlie had made. Sitting down on the couch besides Charlie she carefully took her hands in hers giving them a tight squeeze. She had tried to block this part of their return out of her mind; she had hoped they would put it on hold for a little longer. Leaning forward Ruby wiped away the tear that had been lingering on Charlie's cheeks. Finally looking up Charlie gave Ruby a weak smile

"I think we should do it tonight" said Charlie

"Are you sure?" asked Ruby, she knew the question she was asking wasn't about her making sure Charlie was ready, it was more about herself. Letting go and saying a final goodbye wasn't something she was sure she was ready to do yet, maybe never. Charlie knew Ruby too much to miss the hesitancy in her voice that almost resembled fear

"Hy" Charlie stroked Ruby's face gently with her thumb making sure she had her full attention "You have me ok... you will always have me"

Ruby nodded as she let her tear drop, she wrapped her arms around Charlie

"I love you mum" Charlie instantly smiled at the words that had left Ruby's lips

"I love you too, so so much" Charlie's grip tightened around Ruby as she recalled the day Ruby had finally been exposed to the secret her and her parents had kept hidden for so long

*FLASHBACK (TWO YEARS PRIOR)*

"Where is she?" Charlie ran towards her parents frantically "Where is Ruby?" Charlie eyes were now blood shoot red due to her crying. She now stood in the hospital halls as she waited for her parents to give her some news on Ruby's condition

"Charlie calm down" Elise wrapped her arms around her "She is stable now, they're just doing some tests to find out why she had fainted like that" Charlie sighed heavily at her mother's words, relived to know her daughter was ok but worried about the news the doctors may deliver to them.

"So she's ok?"

"Yes Charlie, she's ok"

Although she had only been at the hospital for a little over twenty minutes, Charlie felt as though days had passed her by. Finally seeing the doctor walk out of Ruby's room, Charlie rushed to her feet as the doctor walked towards her and her parents. Elise and Ross were now stood beside her as they all looked on at the male doctor in front of them hoping he wouldn't be delivering any bad news.

"How is she?" asked Ross

"Well she is now awake, she seems fine now but we're just going to go get the results from the tests conducted, that way we can get a clear picture of what caused her to faint the way she did"

"Do you have any idea as to what could be wrong?" asked Elise

"Yes we do but we can't say for sure until the results come back", Barely letting the doctor finish his words Charlie spoke

"Can we go and see her now?"

Looking over at her the doctor replied "Yes you can", upon hearing his words Charlie darted into Ruby's room as Elise and Ross sent him a warm smile before they too made their way into her room.

"Hy Rubes" Charlie brushed her hands over Ruby's brown curls, as she studied her unusual pale complexion "You scared us you know"

Ruby smiled at Charlie "I'm sorry but you're not getting rid of me that easily", Elise and Ross laughed lightly along with Charlie at her words. Looking at Charlie as she closely studied Ruby, Elise wondered how Ruby hadn't figured it out yet. Surly she could see that Charlie's love and protectiveness exceeded that of a sister. Each passing day the resemblance between the two of them grew more and more, and their similarities even surprised the people around them.

"Just don't go doing that again" said Ross as he placed a kiss on her temple

"Dot worry I won't, plus I hate hospitals" Ross chuckled at her words

"Do you guys want something to drink?" asked Elise. As both girls gave their orders Ross and Elise made their way to the hospital canteen. Ruby and Charlie giggled between one another as they talked. Soon after, the same doctor walked back into Ruby's room, causing Charlie to dart up from where she was seated as she began throwing questions at him. Unfortunately the doctor refused to discuss the problem without the presence of either Ross or Elise. Getting more frustrated at his constant refusal to give her a straight answer to any of her questions Charlie's patience began growing thin as her parents had yet to return. Although the doctor was a little taken aback by Charlie's behaviour it was nothing Ruby hadn't seen before. Charlie had always been protective of her, but they were very close and Ruby had put it down to the fact that apart from their parents they only had each other.

"I don't understand why you can't just tell me, you already know I'm family I don't see what the problem is" Charlie continued to protest

"Like I said we need to address her parents on this issue"

"OK... so tell me then" by now Charlie's words were no longer registered in her mind before she spoke

Sighing lightly the doctor responded "You're not her parent, I need..." Almost as if being taken over by an unknown force, Charlie's words left her lips without warning

"But I'm her mum", Charlie hands rapidly flew to her mouth as she realised what she had just said. Keeping her back turned to Ruby she hoped the young girl had missed her words but unfortunate such luck refused to grace Charlie with its presence

"What?" Ruby's voice was barely audible but the horror within it was clearly evident. Charlie looked up at the shocked expression that had settled on the doctor's face before slowly turning to face Ruby. Unable to say anything she simply stared at Ruby as her tears began stinging her eyes

"What did you just say?" Ruby asked again unable to believe Charlie's words

"Ruby... I...I", Charlie throat dried up as she found herself frantically searching for words that had now seemed to completely escaped her.

"CHARLIE WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?" as Ruby's voice ripped through the unbearable atmosphere that had now grown within the room, Ross and Elise walked in drinks in hand.

"Hy what's going on here" asked Elise but she and Ross were met by the confused face of Ruby and the regretful glare of Charlie

"I'm so sorry... I didn't mean to" Charlie addressed her parents as she glared over at them. Both Ross and Elise stood still unsure of what they had walked in on

"Is it true?" Ross and Elise turned to face Ruby, still confused as they were when they entered the room

"Is what true sweetheart?" asked Elise

"Charlie who is she to me, who are you guys to me?", It felt as if somehow time had stood still for both Elise and Ross as they registered Ruby's question. Unable to find the right words they stood glancing from Charlie to Ruby

"Oh my God... its true isn't it. Charlie's my...mum", the words felt so surreal as they left Ruby's lips. She was grateful for the bed that supported her body, she was sure her legs had gone numb. The look on her 'parents faces' the tears that flowed down Charlie's face spoke loud and clear. She must have been having a bad dream, it couldn't possibly be true. Breaking the silence that had fallen upon them was the sound of the door closing behind them as the male doctor excused himself from the awkward situation.

"H...How?" this seemed to be the only word Ruby could form

"Sweetie we..." Ross motioned to take Ruby's hand in his but she instantly rejected his gesture as her tears had now filled her eyes. It all made so much sense now, the way Charlie always acted, her overbearing protectiveness and their uncanning resemblance that had been pointed out by others on more than countable occasions.

"Ruby it's not as simple as it seems" said Charlie not wanting to have to explain to Ruby how she came about considering she had only just been brought into hospital.

"SIMPLE...nothing about this seems simple. How could you do this... how could you all do this to me?" Ruby's confused expression had now switched to that of anger

"Ruby..." Elsie was quickly cut off by Ruby

"Leave" Ruby looked at all three of them as she spoke

"No Ruby we..." Charlie tried to explain

"JUST LEAVE... NOW ... LEAVE" Ruby spat the words at all three of them as her tears started cascading down her cheeks. Charlie's cries grow heavier at the anger expressed on her daughters face. Ross gently pulled a reluctant Charlie along with him and Elise as they abided by Ruby's request and left the room.

"Dad we have to explain... she has to know we never meant to hurt her. I have to explain to her "Charlie's words ran out fast as she continued to cry

Pulling Charlie into him, Ross wrapped his arms around her

"I'm so sorry dad, I didn't mean to say it... he wouldn't tell me what was wrong and I..."

"Charlie it's ok" cooed Ross "We will explain to her but we have to give her time to calm down first" Charlie nodded against her father's chest as her tears stained his shirt. She looked back over at Ruby's room as she remembered the anger that was evident on her face before they left. Charlie hoped she would soon get a chance to explain herself, she needed to let her know she never wanted to give her up, she did what she thought was best at the time.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

Charlie remembered how long it had taken before Ruby had even acknowledged her existence after that day. It was precisely Three weeks and two days, she remembered Ruby's questions, all the whys; Charlie wanted nothing more than to protect her from the truth but she knew too well that lying to her would only cause more trouble. She remembered her daughter's tears as she revealed to her how she had been conceived. It broke her heart seeing her in such pain and distress; she sat as she watched her twelve year old daughter cruelly have to take in the information of what had happened to her all those years ago. Deciding not to give a detailed account of what had transpired that night, she knew it still wouldn't take away from what Ruby would have been feeling. She watched as the tears that had filled her eyes slowly made their way down her cheeks. The pain Charlie felt having to tell Ruby about what Grant had done to her seemed to surpass the actual event. After what had happened she never thought she would again get to feel Ruby's embrace, but here they were two years later and closer than they had ever been. Regardless of the time it took to rebuilding their relationship from scratch, if everything they had been through was destined to lead them to this moment then Charlie wouldn't take that time back for the world. Finally pulling away from Charlie, Ruby wiped her tears away before looking around the house for the first time since she entered from the beach.

"Charlie why does this place look more messed up than when I left?" Charlie smiled at Ruby sheepishly before replying

"Well I tried unpacking something's after I woke from my nap. I managed to get them out of the boxes but didn't get round to putting them away"

"Ruby laughed at Charlie before she stood up

"Right well we best get started then" Charlie groaned as she buried her head into the couch, earning her a giggle from Ruby

"Come on then" Ruby nudged Charlie as she placed a light box in her lap "the earlier we get started the sooner we finish"

Just as Charlie was about to reply, Martha and Leah walked through the back door

"Ruby, Charlie", called Martha

"In here guys" replied Charlie

As Martha and Leah entered the lounge their eyes widened at the sight before them, noticing the looks on their faces Charlie once again smiled sheepishly as Ruby laughed

"Yh this was Charlie's attempt at unpacking" Leah and Martha laughed before walking further into the lounge

"Well it's a good thing we're here to help isn't it" said Martha

"Wait I thought the guys Weren't coming back till tonight?" asked Charlie

"Well miles is still at home, but he's frantically preparing for the new school year on Monday, and the kids have a play date" Charlie nodded in response to Leah before turning to Martha

"What about jack and the guys?"

"Yh they're back but they decided they needed to go for a surf, you would think after spending the weekend away from me Jack would be missing me but nope", Leah and Charlie laughed at the tone of Martha's voice

"Bianca not coming?" asked Charlie

"No, she's resting up, the little one is wearing her out" Leah smiled over at Charlie, but they all turned towards Ruby as she spoke

"I knew it was them" not realising she had spoke her words out loud Ruby was met by the confused gazes of Charlie, Martha and Leah

"What?" Charlie raised an eyebrow in Ruby's direction

"Oh err nothing... we should probably get started" Ruby quickly picked up one of the boxes and made her way towards her room as Charlie, Leah and Martha gave each other confused glances.

Picking up one of the boxes marked Kitchen, Leah walked out of the lounge before shouting

"Come on guys... chop chop" Martha and Charlie laughed before picking up a box each and following the direction Leah's direction.

Walking into the house Brax headed straight into his room. He sat on the edge of the bed as he ran his hand over his face. He slowly opened his bed side draw as he stared down at the two letters before him. Picking up the two envelopes, he recalled her smile, her enchanting scent, her soft brown hair and her beautiful blue eyes that seemed to take the breath from his lungs. He closed his eyes as his smile grew at the sound of her laughter as it rang in his ears. She had disappeared from his side without warning ten years ago and yet he remembered every part of her as if only haven come across her recently. He looked down at the opened envelope that contained the letter Ross had left him. Unable to explain why, Brax had done as Ross had instructed in his letter with the contents of the other envelope that had been sitting on his door step that day. He had willingly obeyed Ross's wishes despite him haven abandoned him and the boys. There was something about the content of Ross letter that had till this day not settled well with Brax. He knew there was something they had been keeping from him; he knew there was a bigger reason behind them just leaving so abruptly, he just hoped one day he would know why. He then looked over at the second envelope he had found that same day but still till this very day had yet to build up the courage to open it and read its content. His fingers lingered over her hand writing on the envelope in which she had engraved his name on it, he had many times attempted to open it but each time the fear of what may lay within the envelope overcame him. What if he was wrong and she had decided to leave without a goodbye because she didn't love him, he couldn't take that risk. The unknown suited him better in this situation. Opening up the drawer he placed the envelops back in the place they had resided for the past ten years, motioning to close it his eyes drifted over in the direction of the little black velvet box laced with a red ribbon. He had never got the chance to give her the content that lay within the box, and yet he had never been able to build up enough courage to get rid of it. He picked it up but chose not to open it. He would occasionally hold the box in his hand but he had not looked within in since the day after she left, but this box and those letters where the only thing apart from his memory that he still had that connected him to her. He wasn't ready to give that up. Looking down he ran his free hand through his hair, he had so many questions he needed answering, Ross's letter provided little comfort and only intensified the amount of questions that where left running through his mind. What were they running from, what was it that she felt she couldn't trust him with or was it just simply that him and his brothers were not good enough for them, was he not enough for Charlie? Quickly placing the velvet box back in its place, he closed his bed side draw firmly at the sound of the front door closing. Sighing lightly he unsuccessfully tried to shake the thought from his head as the footsteps started closing in on him. Looking up as she entered the room he smiled up at her as she spoke

"Hy babe" she walked over to him placing a kiss on his lips.

"Hy" he replied as he fixed his face plastering a smile across it

:unsure: ?

Thank you guys for the comments absolutely love reading them. Sorry for the wait for this chapter but here it is. hope you guys enjoy it :)

Walking along the now dimly lit beach, as the light from the night moon bounced off the deep blue ocean, Charlie and Ruby both held the Urns in their arms. Standing at the edge of the water Charlie wrapped her free arm around Ruby in an attempt to prepare her for what they both knew was coming. Sniffing back her uncontrollable tears Charlie glanced down at the Urn in her arm, she replayed the last day she had seen her parents alive and the last words she had heard her father speak.

*FLASHBACK (6 MONTHS PRIOR)*

"Mum you look beautiful" Charlie admired her mother as she walked out of her room

"Thanks sweetie" replied Elise

"Right we best get going" Ross walked into the lounge instantly picking up his car keys "We don't want to miss our reservations do we" Ross took Elise's hands in his as he made his way towards the front door

"You girls enjoy yourselves" said Elise

"We will, bye guys" said Ruby. As Ross and Elise left Ruby looked over at Charlie as she took a seat besides her, instantly grinning at each other, they spoke simultaneously

"Ice cream and chick flick" both letting out a giggled Charlie got up to get the ice cream as Ruby raided the DVD cabinet. After finding out Charlie was her mother things had been bumpy between them they had their bad and good days. Now a year and six months later their relationship had grown beyond that of a mother and daughter. In Charlie she had found a sister, a friend and a mother. Although Charlie no longer lived with her parents she was round a lot of the time mainly because of Ruby, they spent as much time together as possible and had only just started discussing the possibility of Ruby moving in with Charlie. Ruby smiled to herself as Charlie walked back into the living room just as the movie began.

An hour into the movie and the land line started ringing; both sighing lightly Ruby and Charlie looked at each other in a bid to get the other to get the phone. Reluctantly standing to her feet Charlie picked up the land line

"Buckton residence" Ruby laughed at Charlie's unenthusiastic tone but her smile soon faded as the colour on Charlie's face instantly turned pale as her eyes filled with tears

"W...What?" Charlie spoke into the phone in a whisper unsure if she had heard the man on the other line correctly. By now Ruby had made her way to Charlie side

"Charlie what's wrong?" Ruby wasn't sure if she actually wanted to know, by the look on Charlie's face Ruby knew whatever it was, was not going to bring her any joy.

"Where are they?" Charlie and Ruby raced into the hospital straight towards the front desk

"Who are you looking for?" asked the nurse as she looked up at the panicked faces of both girls

"Ross and Elise Buckton, they were apparently involved in a car accident" said Charlie breathlessly. Before the nurse could reply she was interrupted by the same male doctor that had once treated Ruby

"Charlie, Ruby" both girls turned around at the sound of his voice

"Where are they?" repeated Charlie

"Are they ok?" added Ruby

As they both looked up at the grievous expression on the doctor's face, Ruby held onto Charlie as she felt the strength in her legs leaving her. Charlie throat dried up instantly making it almost impossible for her to speak. Both of them knew that the news he was about to deliver was probably about to break them.

"Could I talk to you in private?" the doctor addressed Charlie and Ruby instantly spoke up

"No, I want to know what's going on... please Charlie"

Not taking her eyes off the doctor Charlie nodded as she spoke

"It's ok, Ruby can stay, she's gonna need to hear what you have to say too" Charlie knew having Ruby there was more for herself than it was for Ruby. She wasn't sure if she could handle the news on her own, she needed Ruby's support.

"Ok" said the doctor as he directed them into his office, he wasn't sure the corridors of the hospital was the best place to deliver this news. On reaching his office he motioned for the both of them to sit but neither of the girls obeyed. They stood as they burned holes in him with their fearful glares. Sighing lightly he knew there was no easy way to give them this news so he simply proceeded.

"A large truck lost control on the highway and hit your parent's car head on. I'm sorry to say your mother died on impact..." He paused as Charlie stumbled back at the sound of his words and Ruby's grip on Charlie tightened significantly in an attempt to not only steady Charlie but also herself. Their once silent cries were now fiercely raging through the small office. Desperately but unsuccessfully trying to stop her tears and Catch her breath Charlie tried to speak but found no words seemed to be escaping her lips. Realising what she was trying to do and what it was that she was probably going to ask, the young doctor continued

"Your father received multiple fractures and sever internal bleeding; there was also some swelling in the brain. We did the best we could but his injuries are too extensive, we doubt he will be able to make it through the night".

Both Ruby and Charlie instantly looked up at him

"Wait... so he's still alive?" Asked Charlie urgently as she spoke through her tears

"Yes but.."

"Can we see him?" asked Ruby

The young doctor nodded, but he needed them to understand that the chance of Ross surviving was slim to none. "Girls I need you both to understand that this is likely to be the last chance you will get to him, he has not woken up yet but even if he does, it is very unlikely that he will make it through the night". Both girls nodded but refused to take in what he was saying, they just wanted to see Ross.

Walking into his room Charlie's body stiffened at the sight before her eyes. To her, her father had always seemed so strong and untouchable but looking at his broken, bruised and pale body she almost didn't recognise him. Ruby slowly walked to one side of his bed as she cupped his hands in hers placing a kiss on it.

"Hy dad" Ruby's tears fell hard against his hands

Charlie took up the space on the opposite side, she studied him closely as she placed a kiss on his cheeks. How could this be happening, they were fine a few hours ago, she saw them both. How could a night that was filled with such happiness end with such sorrow and despair. If this was a nightmare she prayed to wake up soon, she had to wake up before the sorrow within her consumed her whole being. Ruby and Charlie's face darted up as Ross groaned in pain

"Dad" called Charlie

Ross slowly opened his eyes as he took in his unfamiliar environment. Suddenly remembering what had happened he called out in a whisper

"Elise...w...where's Elise... where's your mum?" Charlie and Ruby sobbed harder at the realisation of what was about to be said

"Dad...she's... she's gone" cried Charlie

Charlie and Ruby looked at each other confused as a smile broke out on Ross's face

"Elise" he called almost as if he could see her

"Dad mums gone" Charlie said again as she tried to steady her breathing

"She's not gone, s... she's waiting"

Ruby and Charlie glanced in the direction Ross was staring at before looking back at him.

"I'm going to get the doctor" Charlie abruptly stood up as the fear of also losing her father took over. Ross held onto her hand as tightly as he could manage

"No Charlie stay p...please" Ross coughed out loud as he struggled to get his words out. Ruby picked up the jug of water that had been left on the bed side table before pouring some into the cup and helping him drink some.

"Dad you need the doctor to come make sure your ok" said Ruby

"No I just want to talk to you girls first...ok" Charlie looked over at him unsure before she sat back down

Ross looked over at Ruby as he mustered up enough strength raising his hand and stroking her cheeks. Ruby instantly placed her hands over his as her tears ran down her face

"Hy sweetie...w...what are... these for? Ross smiled weakly at her. He looked at Charlie as he squeezed her hand as tightly as he could manage.

"I love you girls so so much; apart from your mother you guys are everything that is good about my life"

"We love you too" said a tearful Ruby

"I...I need the b...both of you to... to make me a promise" said Ross

"Anything" replied Charlie as she tightened her hold on his hand

"I need you to take care of each other...ok" Both girls nodded

"But we..." Ross interrupted Charlie as she spoke

"Charlie I need you to go back", Charlie looked at him confused. What was he talking about?

"Go back where dad?"

"T...to Summer Bay"

"Dad..." once again she was cut off by Ross

"N...no Charlie, we n...never should have left, we should have fought. Go back and fight...be happy...do this for me" Charlie slowly nodded unable to argue with her father in his current state.

"We can all go together when your better" said Charlie. Ross simply smiled over at his beautiful daughter before looking back at Ruby. He knew he didn't have much time left and he could see in both girls' eyes that although they were trying to deny it they knew it too.

"I will always be with you where ever you go... your mother and I will never leave your side" Charlie knew what was coming, his breathing was getting heavier and she could slowly see life slipping away from his pale body.

"I need you guys to make me one more promise... take your mother and I with you to Summer Bay so we can spend rest within the beautiful ocean". Charlie and Ruby were now confused what did he mean by that?, did he not hear them when they had told him that Elise was dead.

"Dad" called Ruby

"Just promise" Ruby and Charlie both nodded as they replied simultaneously

"We Promise"

Once again Ross began smiling as he glared at the space that was seemingly empty in front of them, and he called her name again

"Elise" and without warning he closed his eyes, his body fell limp and the monitor flat lined

"Dad" Ruby shock his lifeless arm frantically as she tried to wake him up

"Charlie stood over him as she spoke "Dad please wake up...Dad please...please" breaking down completely she flung her arms around him.

As the cries of both girls raced through the halls of the hospital, the young doctor stood outside the door wanting to give them time to grieve. Looking up at Ruby Charlie rushed over to her compelling her into an embrace. Ruby held on tightly to her mother. This was it, they had no one else but each other and they intended on keeping the promise they had made to their father and take care of each other. They remained in each other's embrace for a long while, in that moment letting go was something both of them refused to do out of fear of losing each other.

*END FLASHBACK*

To Charlie it felt like yesterday, being in that hospital, watching the life slip away from her father's body and seeing her mother's peaceful body afterwards. It all still felt like a dream, well at least up until this point it did. Here they were six months later getting ready to say their final goodbyes. Ross words at the hospital had baffled Charlie up until she had read her parents will. They had requested that upon death they wanted to be cremated and to have their ashes scattered in the ocean. His words finally made sense to both Charlie and Ruby. This is what he wanted this is what they both wanted, they wanted to be laid to rest in the place that had brought them more happiness than words alone could express. Charlie shut her eyes tightly trying to ease her tears, they were already gone so why was this so hard, why did it feel like she was losing them all over again. Turning her head as she registered Ruby sniff back her tears, Charlie removed her arms from around Ruby as she gently wiped the young girl's tears away. Ruby sent over a warm smile before looking back at the ocean

"I miss them so much"

"Me too" replied Charlie, "I know we won't ever see them again but in a way, this way they won't ever be far from us" Ruby nodded in understanding of what her mother was trying to say

"You ready?" asked Charlie, Ruby gave a simple nod as she opened up Elise's Urn and Charlie opened Ross's.

"Love you guys so much" Charlie wiped away her tears as both she and Ruby scattered the ashes into the ocean. Almost instantly a warm breeze crept through the cold wind as it grazed Charlie and Ruby's cheeks. A smile crept up on both their faces

"Did you feel that" Questioned Ruby as she placed her hand on her still warm cheek

"Yh, yh I did" Charlie stood in awe at the feeling she had just got. She had no doubt about it, Ross and Elise was still with them. They may not have been able to see them but the faith of believing they were still there was enough to keep them both going. Now seated on the sand, Charlie and Ruby laughed as they both recollected the memories they had made with Ross and Elise

"Come on we best get going" Charlie stood up to her feet, pulling Ruby to her feet they both made their way home. Unknown to the both of them someone had began watching them attentively

Closing up for the night, Brax made his way out of the restaurant. Making his way to the car park he was stopped in his tracks as he monitored the two distant figures that sat further down the beach. He studied Charlie unknowingly as he watched her brown silky hair take to the wind. Looking over at Ruby he noticed her brown curls brushing to the side as the wind blew through it. Instantly his mind drifted back to them again. What he wouldn't give to see her face again even if only from a distance. He wondered what Ruby was like and if she even remembered him. he thought of Charlie, her eyes her beautiful laughter, he wondered what she was doing, who she was with, where she was, was she thinking about him too, did her heart ache like his did every time he thought of her or had she managed to erase him from her memories. He continued to watch the two figures in this manner as they got up and began walking in the opposite direction, their backs still facing him. Motioning to continue towards his car Brax was once again stopping in his tracks as he instantly turned back as her loud laughter raced through the calm wind. He stared at the two figures attentively; that laughter he was sure it was Charlie's, he looked closer but the darkness of the night prevented him from seeing them clearly. Moving further down the beach, his palms began sweating at the thought of who he may be about to see causing his heart to pounded aggressively against his chest. They were beginning to escape him, but as he picked up pace he was regretfully distracted by the voice behind him.

"Brax there you are" turning around he saw her standing there "I've been trying to reach you" Studying his face the woman stepped to him concerned

"Brax are you ok?" as she asked he quickly turned back in the direction he had not so long ago been following. His eyes frantically scanned his surroundings trying to find them but to no avail, they were gone. Looking around once more he sighed lightly, he may not have seen her in a decade but he could have sworn that was Charlie, that laughter he could never forget it nor mistake it for another's. Trying to shake the though away, he ran his hands through his hair. Had his heart become so obsessed with her that his mind was now toying with him? 'Of course it wasn't her' he thought to himself, how could it be? Snapping him out of his thoughts he turned to face her again

"Brax what's wrong?"

"Err yh... sorry I thought I err saw someone I knew" she nodded slowly unsure of whether to believe him or not. She had often noticed him drift away with his thoughts but each time she asked she would receive the same reply and he would shrug it off.

"You sure?" She asked

"Yh Ella I'm sure"

Walking further towards him she wrapped her arms around his waist as she placed a kiss on his lips.

"We should go" she asked

Nodding in response Brax followed on as she pulled him towards the car park, taking one last glance in the opposite direction Brax found it impossible to escape the laughter he had heard. 'Why' he thought to himself, why after ten years did he still feel this way, surly this wasn't normal. He looked up at the woman before him 'why couldn't he just be content with what he had. Why couldn't he forget?

Archived