The Wedding

Guest Miranda

Story Title: The Wedding

Type of story: One shot

Main Characters: Now that would be telling….

BTTB rating: G

Genre: Romance.

Does story include spoilers: No.

Any warnings: None.

Summary: A Summer Bay couple are getting married, but who?

Just this thing wot I wrote...

The bride sat at her dressing table, brushing her hair. It was the day every girl dreamed of, but this particular girl had never imagined it would come true.

She wore her wedding dress of pale cream, which complemented her colouring. Gazing into the mirror, she thought back to when she first noticed her husband to be. He’d lived in the Bay awhile but for most of that time he’d been in a long term relationship so hadn’t caught her attention. Then when he and his girlfriend went their separate ways, he’d suddenly emerged from the shadows as a man with potential.

That wasn’t what her father thought however. He’d radiated disapproval after the dubious actions of his daughter’s boyfriend. But family opinions didn’t matter.

Because the wedding was taking place out of Summer Bay, none of the familiar faces would be in attendance. This was disappointing, but the seated girl sighed, knowing it was for the best.

She applied her own makeup, having practiced carefully since teenage years. No longer bright red lipstick and heavy eye shadow, now the colours were far more subtle. She made sure not to get any on her dress.

Come on, she said to herself, wishing for once her father was here to lean on. Or even her flighty mother would be something. But she must be strong.

She glided to the door, trying not to trip, and shut it behind her. Now the stairs. Clinging to the banister, she tiptoed down the steps carefully.

“Oh, don’t you look beautiful!” An old lady, one of the other guests, smiled at the vision of loveliness before her. “Reminds me of my wedding day. Here, girlie.”

She offered her arm to help the young girl’s descent. The endearment ‘girlie’ reminded her of Irene and home.

“Oh, don’t cry darl. You’ll have a wonderful marriage and life. What’s your groom like?”

“Tall, blond, handsome.” She laughed. How clichéd did that sound?

“Sounds gorgeous. What do they say these days, a hottie?”

The two women laughed together conspiratorially.

The wedding was taking place in the well tended, luxurious hotel gardens, so much prettier than where they lived.

The old lady left the bride at the French windows leading to the wedding location.

“Good luck, you’ll be fine.”

“Oh, you must come too! You helped me down the stairs. What’s your name?”

“It’s Blanche. But I’m not in my finery, look at me.”

“But you must, I can’t go out there alone.”

“Alright, but I don’t know anyone.”

“There’s no one I know coming either. It’s just me, him and the pastor.”

“Are you sure about that?”

The bride to be turned to look into the garden. Lush green plants covered every border, fiery red flowers, purple, white, pink. Every colour she could imagine.

But that was nothing compared to the guests. Her father stood there, smiling, holding a huge bouquet. Not only him, her brother, his girlfriend, and Miles, Leah, Morag, Marilyn, Alf. The school friends she’d grown up with, some of her fiancé’s work colleagues.

And the man himself of course, waiting, smiling.

The girl in the cream wedding dress gasped, tears coming to her eyes.

“Come on, love. You’re the star of the show,” said Blanche, smiling.

“Come with me.” She took Blanche’s arm and they advanced on the wedding party.

“Good afternoon,” said the Pastor. “Please stand next to your groom.”

The happy couple gazed at each other, beaming. The wedding guests beamed too, catching the joyful mood.

“Dearly beloved.” The Pastor addressed the congregation, outside in the church of nature. “We are gathered here today in the sight of God and these witnesses, to join this man and this woman in holy matrimony.”

He turned to the couple.

Angelo Rosetta and Nicole Franklin

, you have signified your desire to enter into the holy state of marriage and no one has shown just cause why you may not. If either of you know of any lawful impediment why you may not be married, I charge you now, before God, the Searcher of all hearts, to declare it...”

The end, or is it just the beginning? :wub:

Comments

Archived