Mirror Of Love

Guest Zetti

Thanks for the comments

:wub: I really love reading them :) Here is the next chapter :)

Chapter 11

Brax walked into the police station with an annoyed expression and he sought out Charlie. Their eyes met and she knew it was serious.

He stared at her and she gestured for him to go into her office.

‘A government advisor’ Brax spluttered once she had closed the door.

‘Okay, I know it’s a shock’

‘What’s going on? It makes no sense at all’ he asked confused

‘We are trying to avoid a trial; if we can get a confession that will hold up in a hearing then we won’t need to go to trial and saves Casey all the pain of hearing about the mugging’

‘Why didn’t you just say that?’

‘In hindsight I guess I should have’

Brax perched himself on the edge of the desk, ‘So when will you have the confession?’

‘Right don’t flip out but we got the confession a few days ago’

‘And?’

‘Well we have to process it and allow his lawyers to respond but he has been charged’

‘So do you have to tell Casey?’

‘I will mainly because I can’t close the case personally until he knows but it will not go to trial so he won’t have to hear it all over again’

‘Will he have to be at the hearing?

‘No, that is just going to be a formality as far as we are concerned’

Charlie touched his leg ‘Don’t worry, I will make sure he goes away’

‘I know’ he kissed her on the lips and then walked out of the office.

Casey sat on the sofa in shock once Charlie had told him the news, he was on his own. ‘Thanks for the news’ he said

‘It won’t go to court so maybe now you can put it behind you’

He nodded unable to answer.

‘Are you okay? You look pale’

‘Yea am fine, just haven’t slept properly and this is a shock’

‘He won’t be able to hurt you’

‘Thank you’

‘No problem, I will see myself out. Take care’

He didn’t respond, his heart felt a bit weird and Casey’s breathing was erratic and his skin felt clammy. He leant against his bedroom door and fell to the floor clutching his chest.

He still had the image of the morning etched onto his brain. The images playing around and around in his head, it was painful to remember it.

Flashback

Heath and Nicole met on the beach away from prying eyes.

‘What do you want?’ Nicole asked

‘You haven’t spoken to me since I told you’

Nicole felt guilty, she wanted the whole situation to disappear. She was happy and the past kept rearing its ugly head.

They sat down and Nicole put her head on Heath’s shoulders. ‘I have to admit, the past few days have been really hard for me.’

‘Why?’ he asked ‘I did say that I wanted you to be happy’

‘I know, I asked Casey to move in with me’ she admitted

‘Why?’

‘Because I realised that I am in love with two people, it was my way of I don’t know, tying to save my relationship by lying to myself’

Heath looked at her ‘In love?’

‘I was always in love with you, I just tried to push it out of my mind but’ she paused and took in Heath’s features ‘I can’t, everything in my flat reminds me of you, I just can’t stop thinking about you, it’s like a disease, controlling me’ she was beginning to ramble.

The next thing Nicole knew Heath was kissing her. She didn’t resist instead she kissed him back just as passionately.

They didn’t realise that in the distance, Casey was standing there. He wasn’t even angry, he was so sad. As they kissed, a single tear dropped from his eyes.

He wiped the tear away from his eyes and walked away. His steely face came back but on the inside he was crumbling.

End Of Flashback

Brax walked into the lounge, he thought he was home alone, he turned on the music and cracked open a beer, he had no idea Casey was in his room ill.

About 30 minutes later, the phone rang and so Brax cut off the volume to the programme. The phone cut off but before Brax put the volume back up, he heard a crash.

Literally like lightning, he jumped up and ran to the room. He pushed the door open. Casey lay there with grey pale skin.

‘Case!’ he said, he went down to the floor to check his pulse; it was there but very slow.

He rang for an ambulance.

‘Can you tell me what happened?’

‘I have no idea, I just heard something, I think he pushed the chair or something and I found him like this’

‘Okay. We will get him to hospital’

Brax nodded and text Heath & Nicole. ‘Casey in hospital, meet me there’

Nicole ran to Brax ‘What happened?’ she was nearly in tears and if Brax hadn’t have hugged her, she would have collapsed.

‘It’s over, he fainted, lack of iron or something’

‘What? Anaemia?’

‘I don’t know, the doctor didn’t say’

Dr Green walked up to them with Heath ‘We have assessed Casey, the lack of iron caused him to collapse, has he been ill recently?’

Nicole shook her head. ‘He hasn’t been ill, I would know, I mean, he seemed fine to me when he stayed at mine’

Brax replied ‘Same. If he isn’t with Nicole, then he is at home and he seemed okay to me as well’

‘Well I think that he just might be neglecting himself in terms of what he eats’

Heath looked confused. ‘An eating disorder?’

‘He doesn’t show the signs of that; he seems to be down about something, has something happened to him?’

‘He was mugged about 2 months ago’ Brax supplied ‘It could be that.’

‘Yes, it could be. Who is his guardian?’

‘Me’ Brax said.

‘As he is 17, I can’t force him but I think that he would benefit from seeing a counsellor’

‘A shrink’ Heath said with disdain

‘It will help him’

Nicole interrupted ‘He hasn’t shown any signs of being depressed or traumatised’

‘Its easy to put on a front, if he tried hard enough, he can make himself seem like he is okay on the outside but then it’s different on the inside’

It made sense now to Nicole, he was always so upbeat and happy and very close to her, more than normal. Now she understood why it was like that.

Heath said to the doctor ‘so if he doesn’t go for counselling what will happen’

‘That is not clear at the moment because the issues as to why he is so depressed and his emotions haven’t been explored, if he just talks to someone impartial, he will feel more liberated by it’

Nicole nodded ‘He needs to do it; he can’t go on feeling depressed and alone especially when he isn’t alone’

‘I agree, we just need to make him see that’

Brax asked the doctor ‘have you told him about the counselling idea?’

‘I have, he seems resistant’

‘Well we will soon knock that idea out of his head, he will do it’

Dr Green interjected ‘He will not benefit unless he actually wants to be there’ he looked at heath. ‘He will need you all more than ever now’

Casey refused to budge on the issue, the thought of telling everyone about his feelings and things didn’t seem very appealing or in any way beneficial for him.

‘You will do it because we won’t let it go, you need help’ Brax said

‘But I don’t need help, I am fine’

‘Stop deluding yourself’ Heath spat out!

‘Don’t talk to me like that, especially when you betrayed me!’

Heath looked perplexed ‘What are you talking about?’

‘You and Nicole behind my back this morning, on the beach’

Heath tried to reason with Casey ‘It wasn’t like that, it’s complicated!’

Tears were streaming down Nicole’s face ‘Let me explain please’ she begged him but Brax made sure they were not allowed anywhere near him. Once he had got them outside of the hospital room ‘Come near him again and I will kill you’

‘Come on, you know it’s not that simple’

Brax poked him ‘It is, he is your brother, you don’t go after his first girlfriend, especially after what he went through in Perth’

Nicole’s tears were still flowing, Brax turned his back on them and Heath hugged her and whispered ‘We will be fine’

Nicole didn’t know how he could say it was going to be okay but she was glad that Heath was there to hold onto him.

Brax came back out ‘I want you to get your stuff and get the hell out of my house!’

‘Fine, Fine, I will’ he said, trying to avoid a confrontation.

I dedicate this chapter to a friend of mine who is fighting cancer, without her input, this chapter wouldnt have happened.

:wub: Enjoy and as always please comment :)

Chapter 12

So much had changed in the past six weeks since Belle and Justin split up. Justin still hadn't given up on Belle. He sent flowers every day and as per normal, they ended up in the bin.

He called leaving her messages but again they were never returned. He didn't want to give up but he didn't want to admit defeat neither.

'I am not doing it for you?!' Aden said adamantly

'I need your help!'

'No' he said with no hint of giving in.

'I need your help' he begged as they walked towards the diner.

Aden shook his head 'hasn't it sunk in yet, she doesn't want to know'

'I can't give up, we are meant to be'

Aden had that sinking feeling in his stomach. Every time he mentioned Belle in that way, he felt like punching him. He hurt her so badly and yet thinks he could just worm his way back into her life, it wasn't going to be that easy.

'Sooo... what do you think I should do?'

'Listen, I am not getting involved anymore, it's too weird'

Justin sighed 'Fine, will do it myself.'

Aden grimaced on the inside, all he wanted was to be with Belle together but he couldn't not until Belle had moved on.

She kept on saying she had but he wasn't convinced and the fact that she was previously dating his brother.

He walked into the diner, he locked eyes with Belle. She was smiling at him but then turned around as soon as she spotted Justin.

'Now's my chance' he said

'Careful' warned Aden

'Why? I just want to talk to her, that's all'

'At your own peril' he said as he went to sit down in the corner.

Justin approached Belle in the kitchen. She glared at him 'What do you want?' she said bitterly.

'Come on, this isn't fair, you won't even let me explain why I couldn't come'

'It's simple, you decided work was more important than me when I needed you, I had no one.'

'You had Aden' he said

'Yes, I did and I am grateful that he was there for me but I wanted you there, you were meant to be my boyfriend, to love me and look after me' she said as her temper began to rise again.

'Please understand, I didn't know how to be there for you' he admitted with shame in his voice.

'Oh and I did? I was so lost, I honestly don't know how I would have got through it at first but Aden was there and you weren't and that is what counts'

'So nothing I say makes a difference?'

She shook her head and walked away from him. She told her employees she would be back for closing and to ring if they needed her.

She went to her house and walked to the drawer where Irene's letter lay, She had been contemplating for days whether or not to open it.

My darling Belle.

I have only known you for a few months and yet it feels like I have known you all my life.

I can see myself in you and I know that right now it's too painful for you to move on from my death but darling you have to. My life is ending but yours is beginning. I beg you don't get hung up on the past.

Don't pretend to be strong when you aren't, let people especially your friends prop you up, there is no shame in asking for help and for grieving.

It's so hard to imagine you all alone but then you aren't alone, you have although you may not know it, and you have Aden.

He told me once that you were beautiful and I think since then he has fallen in love with you.

Whatever happens, don't lose your love and faith, you have too much love to give to people, never forget that I love you and that I will always be watching you.

When you feel alone, look to the people you love, I will be in them watching you and guiding you when you need it. I will never stop being with you, remember that I love you and always for eternity and you will never be alone.

Love Irene (now and forever) x

Belle had tears flowing down her eyes, she knew that Irene was right about her not holding onto the past but she didn't know what to do now, she wanted her back and yet that wasn't going to happen.

She phoned Aden, because Irene had made her realise that she loved him. She couldn't stop thinking about their kiss, even though he had pushed her away, she couldn't get rid of the feeling that he wanted to return the kiss.

Aden picked the phone up on the 3rd ring out 'Hey, you okay?'

'Not really, I just read Irene's letter'

Aden's hand automatically went down to his jean pocket where Irene's letter to him rested. 'I read mine a few days ago'

'Can you come over? I need to talk to you on your own'

'Of course, let me get rid of Justin' he looked over to the counter where Justin was paying for the drinks.

'I will see you soon' he added before he hung up the phone.

'See who soon?' Justin asked

'None of your business'

'Fine, I am off to the city tonight anyways, I will see you in a few days'

'Okay, am going to go and sort some work stuff out. I will see you whenever'

Aden walked out the diner and knew that Justin was suspicious but right now all he wanted was to be with Belle who clearly needed him.

His thoughts went back to the letter that he got.

Flashback

Aden,

I remember you when you were a small scrawny thing, barely out of school and thrown into the world of Summer Bay, You are a good person despite everything that has happened to you.

You love Belle and yet you are too honourable to be with her when she is with you brother, I remember the conversations we had about you hating the fact you couldn't be with her, but you can.

Belle told me herself a few weeks ago that it wasn't working between her and Justin and even though she might not admit it to herself, she loves you.

If you hurt her (or my car!) I will haunt you from the grave and beyond. Look after her and treasure your lives as life is too short to be alone!

Irene x

End of Flashback

'Hey' Aden said as he saw Belle sat outside the kitchen.

'Hi, sorry I don't know why I called you, I feel like I am going around in circles. My head is telling me one thing and my heart is saying another'

'What does your head tell you?' he asked as he sat down

'Just that I should focus on my school job and the diner but my heart says be happy'

Aden didn't know what to say and he knew he had to tread very carefully.

'What did the letter say?'

'The usual, the main message was for me to be happy and to let my friends help me when I feel so alone'

Tears began to trickle out of her eyes and fall down her cheek. Aden desperately wanted to hold her but something held him back, he didn't think she was ready for him to do that.

'Sorry, am being stupid'

'No you're not! You're human, it's normal for you to struggle, its hard losing someone you love'

'I know, I feel like I should follow my heart but I don't know now, everything is so messed up' she said breathily

'I know, everything happens for a reason. That's life'

'Life is too short' he added mirroring Irene's words in the letter 'life is too short to be alone' he said more for his own benefit than for anyone else's.

I would just like to mention that there is a sensitive issue in the chapter. Apart from that enjoy and comment :):wub:

Chapter 13

Heath walked towards the house with Brax standing on the doorstep.

‘You are not coming in’

Heath frowned ‘Casey called me, said to meet him here’

Casey said from inside ‘Let him in’

‘Are you sure?’

‘Yes, I need to talk to him’ he said defiantly.

Heath walked into the kitchen. Just for a moment, he thought that Casey was going to punch him but he just hugged him.

Brax was confused but not as confused as Heath was ‘What was that for?’

‘I forgive you, I spoke to Nicole about it and she told me the truth about your time in the city and how...’

‘Hold on’ Brax interrupted ‘What’s the truth?’

Heath turned around. ‘Sit down, I will tell you everything’

Casey sat down next to Heath, the past few weeks had allowed him to see everything for what it is.

Nicole had hurt him so badly but he realised that the way he felt about her wasn’t as strong as he thought it was.

Everything had changed especially since he had started to date someone else. It wasn’t serious yet but he could feel the spark between them and he hoped that it would manifest into something meaningful.

He wasn’t ready to having Heath & Nicole around him at the moment but he was getting there, he just wanted his family around him.

Heath had always been there for him in the past and he didn’t want to lose that bond with him.

He had a bond with Brax but it was different between them. He couldn’t explain it.

Heath said ‘This isn’t easy to say and I couldn’t tell you at first but I know that you both deserve the truth’

Flashback

18 months ago

Heath was lying on the hospital bed just before his operation. The nurse had been in and out talking to him but he really wanted his family there.

Casey had been through so much in the sense he didn’t need more stress and upheaval in his life.

‘Are you okay?’ the nurse asked as she walked back in

‘Yes, I think the sedative is beginning to take effect’ he noted.

‘It will in a few minutes, you will feel drowsy and out of it but don’t worry. It will feel like no time when you’re back on the ward and recovering’

‘If I get the all clear’ he added taking the negativity out of his head and placing it into his words.

‘Yes but you are strong, you will be okay’

Heath knew that he was but it still made him feel uneasy.

‘Just relax and let the sedative take over’ he heard her say as he felt like he was drifting away.

‘So your last treatment today’

Heath couldn’t even smile at the thought of it; the intense chemotherapy took over his emotions and feeling sucking away at all the energy he had.

‘Don’t worry, the last treatment is always the hardest but you have come this far’

He nodded and said ‘I know, I just want my family back, I keep on fobbing them off’ he coughed and felt like puking, The nurse quickly got the sick bowl and placed near him.

Heath felt so weak and that he couldn’t even lift his own arm to wipe away the remaining vomit on his lips. The nurse did it ‘Relax, just go to your happy place and in no time, it will be over’

Heath’s happy place was watching the wave’s crash around on the beach, with his brothers playing around and trying to trip each other up in the water.

Heath was sat on his chair waiting to find out whether or not he had gone into remission, so many thoughts rushing through his mind but the main one was he wanted to be back at home with his family and of course, his friends.

His doctor walked in ‘Hi Heath’

‘Hello Dr Harris’

‘So, how have you been coping?’

‘I don’t know how to explain it, am surviving, at the moment that is enough for me’

‘Well, we got your results this morning and I am pleased to say that you are in remission’

Heath breathed out, he didn’t even know that he was holding his breath.

‘Thank you, now I can go home’

‘Where is home?’

‘New South Wales, Sydney’

‘My daughter lives there’

‘Really?’

‘Yea, In Summer Bay’

‘Ohh… I don’t live far from there, Interesting’

Dr Harris smiled. He had to admit, that when he first met Heath, he assumed that he was an angry and uptight person but on a closer look, he is vulnerable and as sensitive as the next man. He deserved to be happy and he honestly wished that for him.

End of Flashback

Casey had tears trickling out of his eyes ‘I can’t believe you never told us, we are your family’

‘I know, I should have but I never wanted to put more sadness into your life, you didn’t need that, you had enough to be going on with.’

‘Bull****’ Brax exploded ‘For once, you needed us, you should have told us, I would have paid for the best private care in the world!’

Heath felt like he was going around in circles

‘What difference would it have made? Chemotherapy is chemotherapy regardless of where and how I get it’ Heath commented exasperated by Brax

‘So is that how you met Nicole?’

‘When I came back and started hanging around Summer Bay. Yea that’s how I met her’

Casey nodded ‘it makes sense now’

‘I never meant to hurt you, I swear’

‘I know, I don’t hate you, I just need time. I need you and Nicole to leave me alone until I am ready’

Heath accepted that. ‘I can do that, I am sure I can’

Brax smiled at Casey ‘You are so strong despite everything’

‘Life is too short to hold grudges, we are family and we stick together’

‘All for one and one for all’ heath said

‘yep, the three musketeers’

‘I bags Aramis’

‘Porthos’ Brax added

‘Fine, Athos it is’ Casey said smiling

For nearly two hours they sat there reminiscing about the old days where life was much simpler, before Steve had entered their lives.

‘The past is hard to ignore’ Brax said

‘I know but we can’t dwell on it. Can we?’ Heath said

‘No’ Casey added ‘Leave it in the past, I have so can you guys’

‘I better go’ heath said reluctantly as he noticed the time

‘Where are you staying?’

‘At a mate’s place, don’t worry its fine’

‘You can stay here’ Casey said surprising Heath and himself.

‘I thought you needed time’

‘I do but you don’t need to be away from us do you?’

‘As long as you are okay with it’ heath said carefully.

He nodded yawning ‘Am going to knock out, I will see you all in the morning’

Next Chapter: Who dies?

Two friends go out, will it blossom?

Sorry for the loooong wait! Here is the next chapter, apologies in advance for the quality of it

:(

Thanks to -Carina- for giving me some advice on this chapter :) This chapter is dedicated to you :wub:

Chapter 14

Brax and Charlie were together for the first time. He really needed time away from his family. Things were looking up but it was still quite tense.

Charlie put her head on his chest and feeling his chest rise up and down for a long time before he spoke

‘I like this; it’s good just to be together’

‘Well’ she said

‘What?’

‘I never took you for the soppy time’ she laughed

‘Hey!’

She laughed and sat up. ‘Don’t worry your secrets’ safe with me’

A few moments later, Charlie’s phone rang

Brax groaned as she picked it up ‘Hello, Sergeant Buckton speaking’

‘How serious?’ she asked

‘Okay’ she said in reply ‘Am on my way’

She jumped off the bed ‘Sorry, there has been an emergency and I need to be at the scene.

‘Are you okay?’

‘Yea, I just need to be at the scene, I will ring you later’

‘So how did it happen?’

‘The car was speeding, lost control and went straight into him’

‘Have they confirmed the identity?’

‘The ID was Justin Jefferies’

Charlie grimaced. She thought to herself, this was going to hurt him. He had only just got his life back on track and to lose his brother was going to be painful.

‘I will talk to the next of kin’ Watson said

‘No, I will do it. I know him personally and I think it will be better coming from me

‘If you’re sure’

‘Yes, I am, question the witnesses and the driver and process the evidence’

‘Will do sergeant’

Watson didn’t envy Charlie the job of telling Aden, it was never easy to tell someone that their loved one had died.

Charlie had been trying to get in contact with Aden all morning but he wasn’t answering his phone.

He went to the school to try and find him but Miles said ‘he just left, the meeting finished about 20 minutes ago. ‘Is there a problem?’

‘You could say that, I need to talk to him first. He doesn’t seem to be answering his phone’

‘Try it again; he did say it wasn’t working that well at the moment’

Charlie dialled the phone. She was surprised at how scared she was to tell Aden.

Aden picked the phone up ‘Hi Charlie’

‘Hi, where are you?’

‘Just in the diner, picking up some food for tonight’

‘Stay there, I will be there soon’ and then she put the phone down.

Aden was sat in the corner on his own when Charlie arrived. He was really confused by the cryptic phone call.

‘Aden’

‘Hi, what’s going on?’

‘I need you to come with me’ she said as gently as she could

‘Okay…’ he stood up and followed her.

Aden was still in a state of shock when Charlie led him into the room where the body lay covered by a white sheet.

‘Do it’ Aden said

The white sheet was taken off the body and Charlie & Aden gasped ‘That’s not Justin’ Aden said and Charlie murmured in agreement ‘I know’

‘How is that possible?’

She got a phone call ‘Right, thanks for that’

‘According to our databases, it’s really Joe Carter’

‘Justin’s best friend’ Aden confirmed

‘Wow that’s intense’ Belle commented at school for the following week

‘Yea, Justin’s okay though, he wants me to go down for the weekend’

Belle smiled ‘you should do, he’s your brother’

‘Yea, can’t believe it’s the holidays already, time flies by’

‘Yes it does’

Aden looked at her face ‘Are you okay?’ he asked as she had that faraway look in her eyes

‘Yes. Just remembering Irene talking about how we young uns have it easy these days’

‘Of course she said that’ Aden laughed ‘Sounds like her’

Belle chuckled all the way out of the staffroom; she picked up her bags and coat from her office. Aden went to his office to get his coat.

They met again near the exit to the school as they were both walking home but in different directions.

Belle waved at Aden and went on her way home.

As soon as she got home, her mobile phone beeped. She put her bags and coat on the table and looked at her phone.

Want to go cinema tonight? As friends. Aden

Aden was watching his phone to see if she was going to reply and went yes in the air when he got her reply.

Sure, will be fun, I will meet you there for 8, am not sitting through an action film. Belle

Aden got to the cinema for 7.50, Belle was already waiting. ‘hey!’ she greeted him

‘Hiya…’ he trailed off not knowing what to say next

‘What do you want to watch?’ Belle asked not noticing his loss of words

‘Well... Nothing action clearly’ he said with a smirk

‘Stop trying to act clever, it’s not very attractive’

‘Oh so you think I am attractive’

Belle frowned ‘anyone with half of a brain can see your hot but don’t let it get to your head’

He laughed and then said ‘I want to watch The Roommate’

‘Really?!?’

‘What’s so bad about that?’

‘Nothing, the roommate it is’ he said as he went to get the tickets. Belle followed him and got her purse out but Aden waved it away ‘I’ll pay’

‘Fine’ she said ‘but am getting the popcorn’ she said and poked her tongue out.

Aden looked offended and Belle stopped short in her tracks until he started to smirk at her again and she got very annoyed ‘Jefferies!’ she said

‘What?’

Aden had such an innocent look on his face. He thought to himself. She is gorgeous when annoyed; it’s too funny and easy to wind her up and vice versa.

Aden walked Belle to her door. She opened the door and then turned around ‘Thanks for tonight. It was nice to have a bit of fun’

‘Good, am glad you enjoyed it’ he replied smiling.

‘Well I had better go and get some sleep, going to Justin’s tomorrow’

‘Cool’ she was a bit guarded when it came to Justin but she didn’t mind talking about him in the general sense.

‘Sorry, shouldn’t talk about Justin’

‘It’s okay, you are his brother; he will make his way into conversations, its inevitable. I am big and ugly enough to accept that’

‘Ugly? Yes, that’s so true’

Belle looked horrified when he said that.

‘I was joking’ he said seriously when he realised that he went a bit far.

Belle laughed ‘I know’

‘Damn! You always get me’

‘Am the master’

Aden shook his head ‘I better go, take care’

‘Bye’ she said as she watched him walk away.

Here is the next chapter :) Its a bit rushed and mainly dialogue. Enjoy and comment :wub:

Chapter 15

Justin rang Aden that morning ‘Hey, mate, what time you coming down?’

‘Well just gonna get in the car so guessing about 2 hours knowing me’ he chuckled to himself.

‘Right well I have someone here who wants to meet you’

‘Who?’ he asked curiously

‘That’s for me to know and you to find out’ he said mysteriously.

‘Okay, well I am gonna be there in a couple of hours, I will see you there’

‘Cool’ Justin hung up the phone

‘Is he coming?’

‘Yep, you will see him in a couple of hours’

‘Will he hate me?’

‘Why would he hate you?’ Justin asked confused but smiling so he didn’t think he was asking the wrong question.

‘It’s not like he knows me’

‘He will get to know you’

Justin went to the kitchen to make some food ‘Anything you really want?’ he asked

‘No, am not hungry’ he said

‘Stop acting like you have a choice mister’

‘Am 5 not 2’ he retorted

‘Matt!’ he warned

‘Fine! Cheese toastie’ he replied

Justin smiled. ‘Go and watch TV and I will bring it out’

Aden pulled into his drive, Justin was on the doorstep waiting to greet him. To his surprise, Justin had a small child on his arms, hiding behind his legs.

He got out of the car.

‘Wow, a Ferrari!’

‘Yea, who’s the little guy?’

‘My son Matt’

‘Wow!’

Justin went down to Matt’s level ‘This is your Uncle Aden’

Matt whispered something to his dad. Justin smiled as Matt stepped out ‘Am not little, granddad!’ he retorted

‘Oooh’ Justin said smiling, he was glad Matt felt at ease and he hoped that Aden would feel the same.

Aden smiled ‘Want to get in?’ he asked when he saw Matt admiring the car.

‘Can I?’ he asked

He turned around ‘Dad?’ he said with his piercingly blue eyes

‘Maybe later, when you’ve cleaned your room’

Matt put his arms across his chest and sulked.

‘It won’t work’ Justin replied ‘Go on, clean your room and then maybe if your good, we will go for a burger’

‘Aww! Please let me go in the car first’

Justin didn’t waver and Matt conceded defeat. He waved to Aden ‘See you later’

‘Bye, little guy’

‘Granddad!’ he replied with a laugh.

‘So…’ Aden asked conversationally

‘He’s mine, before you ask’

‘I know, I can see you in him’

‘Can you?’ Justin asked

‘Yep, he’s got your hair and eyes’

‘So tell me, who’s the mum and is she on the scene?’

‘The mother isn’t important and no she isn’t around’

‘Cryptic’

Aden didn’t get a chance to probe any further as Matt came bouncing down the stairs ‘All done!’

‘And your play room?’ Justin enquired.

Matt’s shoulders drooped as he shook his head ‘No… can I do it later?’ he asked

‘No, do it now and then your uncle Aden will take you out for a burger’

‘Really?’ he asked sweetly trying not to get his hopes up

‘Okay only if you promise me something?’

‘What?’

‘Don’t call me Granddad anymore’

Justin tried to stifle a laugh when Matt did his thinking pose. He got up and went to the kitchen just so that they could have some time together.

‘Deal!’ he said shaking Aden’s hands and went up the stairs two steps at a time. ‘Careful little guy’

Matt was going to respond but Aden looked at him and he remembered his promise. He walked up the stairs, muttering to himself.

‘Takes after you’ Aden said when he joined Justin in the kitchen.

‘Nah, he doesn’t, poor bugger doesn’t need to have any of my characteristics’

Aden smiled as his phone beeped.

Aden, ring me please regarding the portfolios. Miles

Aden suppressed a groan as he dialled Miles’ number. He picked up on the first dial

‘Hi Miles’

‘Aden, I just been checking the marks that you submitted’

‘What about them?’

‘Well. I think that they are really good’

‘Okay…’ Aden could sense that there was more to come’

‘But.. I think maybe you were being a bit too harsh with some, so I will be passing it onto an anonymous member of staff who will mark it unbiased.’

‘Okay, that’s fine, anything to get the student’s marks up’

‘Great. Enjoy the rest of the holidays’

‘Thanks’

Aden hung the phone up and saw Matt again admiring the car. He could hear Justin cursing away inside.

‘What is wrong with you?’ he asked as he walked back into the kitchen.

‘Just… nothing, forget it’

Aden frowned but let it go.

‘Fine, am gonna take Matt for a burger, you coming?’

‘Yep, hold on 2 minutes’

‘See you in the car’

Aden walked out of the house and stood on the step leaning against the pillar. He was amused at Matt running around the car.

‘Okay, then let’s go and get some food!’

‘Can we get ice cream on the way?’

‘No!’ Justin and Aden said together

Matt smiled and thought to himself. This is fun!

‘So.. why did you and Joe swap ID’s?’

‘What?’

‘I know you did, you forget I am your brother’

‘Listen, it does not matter, basically he needed to be someone else, and that’s the jist of it’

‘What have you go yourself into?’

‘Leave it, it’s done and everything is fine now!’

Aden looked at him with uncertainty but was interrupted by Matt ‘Can we get ice cream?’

Justin was about to say no but Aden got in first ‘yes mate, of course you can’

Matt smiled and walked to the counter to get some. Aden watched and said to Justin ‘That better be all, you have a son to raise, remember that’

Justin looked uneasy but wiped the look off his face before Matt returned to the table. Aden was right, he had a son to look after, he had to be his first and only priority.

Okay so I told a little white lie. I have now written all the chapter but the final chapter for this fic. There will be 20 chapters all together. So without further ado, here is the next chapter.

This chapter is dedicated to Sarah and Lisa for their awesome comments and always reading my fic! :)

Chapter 16

Heath was reeling from the shock. Casey had just told him that he had a visiting order come from Steve and that he was going.

‘Why?’ he asked when he found his voice.

‘I have to ask him questions, there are too many unanswered questions’

‘Hold on, he abused you and you want to see him’

‘Yes, I know why he mugged me; I humiliated him at the drug deal. Heath shook his head in disbelief as Casey thought back to the time when he humiliated Steve.

Flashback (excerpt from Pieces Of Time)

Casey’s POV

I heard the clang of the door as Steve and I walked into the warehouse. ‘You will be fine’

‘I don’t even know what it is I am supposed to do?’

‘Just to hand the drugs over and collect the money, that’s it. No hidden agenda’

‘And that’s it?’

‘Yep’

I was not convinced but I didn’t have time to question his motives any further, time wasn’t on my side then.

Two people walked into the room, one was skinny and looked like he was about to collapse onto the floor.

However the other person took me completely by surprised, as it was Lilly. Even Steve hissed under his breath.

She avoided eye contact with me. She had spent the past few months by my side helping me to do my drug runs and it was all because she wanted information!

At that point, I was very annoyed but there wasn’t much I could do. She did look like she didn’t want to be there but then again I didn’t want to be there neither.

Both of us reached the middle of the room. There was a table with the drugs on there. Steve gestured for me to open the briefcase and show the man the money.

As I did, a phone rang in the distance. Steve didn’t look worried at all. He just took it in his stride and waited for the exchange to happen.

‘Count it’ the man said to his partner who was already stood at the table. I remained stood there as he counted it.

‘We agreed on $2.5million’ Steve added once the man had finished counting

‘Yes but there’s only $2million here’

The colour drained out of Steve’s face, I was tempted to move back but I knew that if I made one wrong move then I would be pounced on

‘Where is my money?’

‘It should be there’

It was clear to me Steve was out of his depth, he didn’t even know what to say.

The man pulled out his gun; it was only a few centimetres away from me. The next few moments were absolutely terrifying.

As soon as the gun came out, Steve froze. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Lily flinch. I managed to have a bit of sympathy for her.

‘Where is it?’

A few seconds later, I had the barrel of the gun pointed at my neck. Steve somehow managed to get his voice and said to the guy holding the gun to my neck

‘He is expendable, so go for it’

I don’t know why I was surprised, deep down I knew it, and he wasn’t going to help me. I was just a toy to him.

I smiled once the gun had moved away ‘Thanks for the heads up’

‘No problem. He took the case of money and walked away from the table. I felt really smug and I didn’t feel like I had betrayed anyone because first and foremost, I was doing this for myself.

End Of Flashback

‘It was nice while it lasted’ Aden commented

The holidays were over and Aden was faced with a mountain load of paperwork, Belle smiled ‘The newspaper stuff is keeping me going and its actually fun’

He smiled ‘Don’t get me wrong, I love my job just…’

‘Not the paperwork’ she added

‘In a nutshell, yes’

Aden walked to a table in the canteen and put the paperwork down. ‘I am going to get a coffee, want one?’

‘Skinny Latte please’ she said she got her purse out.

Aden waved it away, ‘On me’

‘Are you sure, you paid for the cinema’

‘Its fine’ he walked to the counter and ordered a skinny latte and a tea.

He returned to the table to see Belle talking to Casey ‘So… what do you think?’

‘Why don’t we ask Mr Jefferies’ Belle said

‘Ask me what?’ he handed the latte to Belle

‘Thanks, well he wants to use your lessons as a feature.’

‘How?’

‘Well’ Casey said interrupting before looking at Belle’

‘Its okay, go on’

‘Well we had the idea of introducing a sports day and having the newspaper cover the life of a teacher in each monthly edition’

‘Right…’

‘And a life in the day of Mr Jefferies would be first because we want to raise awareness of the idea of a annual sports day’

‘In return for?’ Aden asked, as there would always be a catch.

‘In return for an extension on the portfolio…’

‘How long you asking for?’

‘For the feature or extension?’

‘Both’ he added

‘Feature would take about 2 weeks and I would love an extension of a month’

’10 days extension, I can’t do more than that, but there is a catch’

Casey groaned, there was always a catch he thought to himself, never could he get something without it being mirrored by something else.

‘You can’t tell another student about the extension otherwise I will take it back’

Casey grinned and said ‘Deal’

Belle smiled ‘Okay, then we will start on the feature as of next week’

‘Thanks miss and sir!’ he grinned before he got up and sprinted to the door.

‘Walk!’ they said at the same time. Casey slowed down but as soon as they turned around, he ran again.

‘You’re a softie’ she noted

‘Am I?’

‘Yes, giving him that extension’

‘Well he has been working hard, constantly contributes to lessons, he deserves it’

‘Softie’ she said and he grinned at her.

Belle smiled and thought to herself, he is the complete opposite to Justin. He is kind and thoughtful, won’t let me pay for anything, which is sweet. She made a revelation to herself, which startled her. She was in love with him. She didn’t know if he returned the feelings. He didn’t come across as he had feelings for her so she now didn’t know what she should do next. It was a scary feeling but she had always had her life set out for her, maybe now it was time for her to be herself and live her life as she wanted to.

I hope you enjoyed it :) Please comment :wub:

Thanks for the comments. Without further ado, enjoy this chapter and comment as always :)

Chapter 17

When Casey arrived home later that evening. Brax was waiting for him. ‘So?’

‘Don’t bother; I am going to see him’

‘Fine but why?’

‘I have some questions to ask him’

‘Such as?’

‘Why did he single me out and not you two?’

‘When you going?’ resigning himself to the fact that nothing he was going to say was going to make the slightest bit of a difference to him.

‘Tomorrow. Got the day off school. Copeland was fine with it’

‘I will drive’

‘No, Heath’s taking me. I will be fine. I promise, but I have to do this on my own.’

Brax breathed in. ‘Okay, please be careful, I don’t want to see you get hurt’

‘Trust me; I won’t let him ruin my life’

He wasn’t convinced, Steve manipulated him and he didn’t want to go through the pain of having to live through that again.

Casey breathed in the musty air of the prison as he sat in the room waiting for Steve to appear. He saw rows and rows of prisoners appear and go to their relatives.

After a few moments, Casey thought that Steve wasn’t going to appear but then he did. He was sporting a black eye on the right side of his face.

‘You look rough’ Casey commented.

Heath stifled a laugh and Casey couldn’t help but laugh neither.

‘Yea, well it’s your fault’ Steve spat out.

‘Whatever helps you sleep at night’

Steve glared at Heath.

‘Why are you here anyways? Casey asked to see me, didn’t know he needed his bodyguard with him’

‘I asked him to come, problem?’

‘No. What did you want anyways?’

‘I have some questions to ask you’

Steve looked at him with a strange expression on his face ‘Go on’

‘Heath, can you?’

‘Sure. I will be in the corner, call me if you need me’

Casey nodded at him and smiled ‘I will’

‘So?’ Steve asked once Heath was out of earshot

‘Why did you choose me?’

‘You were the youngest and so the easiest to manipulate’

‘I don’t buy that, I have spent a long time pondering it and I don’t buy it’

Steve sighed exasperated ‘That is the truth’

‘No, there is something else; you seemed to have such hatred towards me’

‘No more than I did for Heath and Daryll’

‘Brax’ Casey added

‘Oh is that what he calls himself these days then?’

Casey thought to himself. Why is he trying to make life so hard? It’s just a few simple questions so I can properly move on.

‘Just tell me the truth’

‘Fine, they are my sons, you aren’t’

Casey frowned ‘So what you saw me as an outsider’

Steve looked at Casey ‘No, I meant you are not my son, you have no genes of mine’

Casey was really confused at that point

‘Eh?’ he asked not even trying to mask his confusion.

‘Cindy didn’t give birth to you’ he sneered

Casey’s blood ran cold

‘Who did?’ he said with anger seeping in

‘I can’t tell you’ Steve’s eyes glazed over and Casey knew he wouldn’t tell him.

‘You can’t say that and expect me to accept it.’

‘Don’t accept it then, makes no odds to me. I am the one stuck in here’

‘Who is it?’

Steve shook his head ‘I am not saying’

A few moments later… the guard came up. ‘It’s time’

Casey protested ‘no, he needs to tell me!’

‘Sorry son, the prisoner needs to go back to his cell’

Casey tried to protest yet again but the guard was adamant and so Steve was led away. He looked back at him and smirked before disappearing from Casey’s view.

Casey spent the whole car journey back deep in thought.

‘Are you going to tell me what he said?’

‘He said I wasn’t his son’

Heath frowned ‘How do you mean?’

‘As in he is not my biological father’

‘Yeah right’ Heath dismissed his concern.

‘No seriously, it’s true. He might have been my abuser but he isn’t lying about this’ Casey replied certain of what Steve said to him.

‘He is winding you up, it’s his speciality.’

‘No he is telling the truth, it seems too far-fetched for him to make it up’

Heath pulled up at their house ‘What are you going to do?’

‘I don’t know but maybe Brax knows, or I have to find mum. Whatever, I will find out the truth’

Heath got out of the car. Casey said to him ‘If you know anything, tell me now’

‘I swear I have no idea. I don’t even think Steve is telling you the truth’

Casey dismissed Heath’s comments. He knew that someone knew something and he was determined to find out what exactly the truth was.

Chapter 18

A few days later…

Brax sat on the beach. Casey had asked him several times whether or not he knew anything.

Brax just avoided the situation. He didn’t even know what to say to him. How could he tell him that he was his son?

He had given Steve the parental rights as soon as he was born, he was naïve then and he still had no clue how to be a good father.

Heath sat next to him on the beach ‘Not working?’

‘Nah, they can survive without me for one night’

Heath looked at him ‘Thinking about Casey?’

‘Yea. I just don’t know what to do’

‘Tell him. He is already suspicious, if you don’t; I swear you will make things so much worse’

Brax sighed but didn’t respond. He was too busy thinking about the night he was born.

Heath interrupted his thoughts ‘He knows something is wrong. He is bright, if you don’t tell him then you run the risk of losing him altogether’

‘And how will it be different if I tell him. He will still be hurt’

Heath was beginning to get more annoyed. His facial expressions dug into his face ‘No offence, but you lied to him for nearly 18 years.’

He paused and then continued before Brax could interrupt

‘You can’t take into consideration how much it will hurt him; you should have never lied to him in the first place!’

Brax took it to heart. ‘I know, but I was naïve and should have never got myself into the position in the first place’

‘But you did and now he is your son. You have to take responsibility’

Brax looked at him with sincerity ‘You’re right. I have to.’

Nicole was sitting in the diner with Belle only a few days later. Nicole was telling Belle all about her love life with Casey and Heath.

‘Wow! So you’re single now?’

‘Yea, it’s strange being single but maybe it’s for the best’

‘So…’ Belle said faltering

‘What?’ Nicole asked with curiosity in her voice

‘Well you are obviously still in love with one of them. It’s clear, your eyes go all glazed when you think about them.’

‘I am but I am more confused now than ever’

‘I know how you feel’

Nicole gave her a quizzically look ‘So...’ hoping to move the topic away from her love life ‘How are things with you and Aden’

Belle took the bait and said quickly ‘We’re friends’

‘Uh yeah right’ Nicole said in an obvious unbelieving tone.

‘We are friends’

‘And you have no feelings for him whatsoever?’

‘I didn’t say that.’ She said innocently and coyly.

‘Ha-ha! I knew it!’

‘Well he doesn’t’ she said with a hint of sadness in her voice.

‘Make him. Men don’t see the obvious, they need to be hit with the truth before they even acknowledge’

Belle giggled ‘Nah, I’m not chasing him!’

‘Who said you’re chasing him? It’s called flirting!’

‘Been there, done that’

‘Hmm. We need to make him notice you…’

‘How?’

Nicole smiled ‘just you wait and see’

Back at the prison…

‘If you do this one thing then you will be free’

‘You want me to kidnap him?’

‘You have to’

Justin sat there really nervous; he had a wire on him. The prison guards knew about it and the police were on their rounds near the place where he was supposed to meet the kidnappers waiting to pounce once they had their solid evidence.

‘I want you to…’ Steve said in hushed whispers ‘scare him and make sure he gets into the car, don’t make a scene’

‘Why? You told him the truth?’

‘Not everything, I told him I wasn’t his father but I didn’t say that I forced Brax to give him up, I can’t risk him finding out that I forced it otherwise..’’

‘Your reputation goes down the toilet’ Justin said

‘Well put. So you know what do?’

‘Kidnap Casey Braxton and drop him off’

‘Exactly, the money will be in the same place as normal’

‘Okay’

Justin stood up ‘Bye’

‘Remember, that’s it now, I will never contact you again’

Justin knew he was telling the truth, Steve might have been a jerk but he always kept his word. He needed this clean break; he had a family to look after.

Brax had decided to talk to Casey today; he didn’t want to hide it anymore so he waited until Casey walked into the lounge from his surf.

‘No need. I managed to locate my birth certificate’

Brax said to Heath ‘can you give us a few minutes?’

Heath nodded and made his way giving Brax a look of sympathy. He didn’t want his family to be torn apart.

‘Why did you keep it from me?’ Casey spat out.

His face went cold and Brax looked at him. He had so much anger and pain etched into his face; he wished he could take it all away from him.

‘Mate…’

‘No… don’t call me that or anything else. Just tell me the truth’

‘I was 15 and seriously naïve, just like you were at that age’

‘Like father like son then!’ he spat out with so much hatred

‘Please…listen’

‘What? You abandoned me!’

‘Like hell I did. I was here as you grew up’

‘But you couldn’t stop him from touching me, making me feel worthless’

Brax’s heart went out to Casey ‘I was powerless to help you. I really wanted to do something’

‘Why did you give me to Steve and well Cindy’

‘I didn’t know how to look after you, your mother didn’t want you. She was a junkie’

‘So basically no one wanted me’

‘I wanted you but I didn’t know how to.’

‘Is that meant to make me feel better?’ he said angry

‘No. I can’t make you feel better, I can’t make myself feel better but I hope that we can move past this, we need to’

Heath walked in from the kitchen ‘Guys… keep it down, Mum’s just come back’

‘Your mother you mean!’

‘Case!’ heath hissed ‘Don’t, she is fragile’

‘She’s a drunk. Fragile, my ass!’

Brax didn’t even know what else to say to him so Casey turned to Heath. ‘Did you know?’

‘Not until a few days ago’ he said which was true. Brax had told him. Heath was too young at the time to understand.

‘So there are only 2 liars in the house’

‘2?’ Brax questioned

‘You and Cindy’

Brax breathed in the air as Casey announced ‘Am not staying here with you two’

Heath frowned and closed the door so his mother couldn’t hear them ‘Where you going to go?’

‘Nicole agreed to let me stay in her spare room.

‘Are you sure that’s a good idea?’ Brax said

‘Well, it’s my decision, you get no say in at all’ he said defiantly.

Hope you enjoyed it :):wink:

This is the penultimate chapter! Thanks for the awesome comments that you all make. I hope this chapter doesnt disappoint :) Enjoy and comment :wub:

Chapter 19

Nicole let Casey in. ‘You know where the spare room is. There’s fresh bedding out and sheets. If you need anything just call me. I will be in the lounge doing my uni stuff’

‘Okay. Thanks for this, I really needed it’

‘No problem, if you need to talk. I am here for you’

‘Thanks. I really appreciate that’

Nicole had been sat on the sofa trying to get this design right for hours when Casey finally reappeared/

‘Hey, give me a sec and I will clear some room’

‘Cool, do you want takeaway? I was thinking to go to the diner and get some’

‘Sure, hold on a sec’

She got her purse and gave him $20. She thrust into his hands ‘Get a mud cake as well’

‘What meal do you want?’ he asked as he put the $20 into his pocket.

‘Shepherd’s pie’

‘Cool. Do you want the double choc milkshake?’

‘Triple’ her not moving her eyes away from her design furiously scribbling away trying to get the hem line to look right on the page.

‘That bad?’

‘Worse’ she said smiling and looking at him.

‘Sure, I will be back as soon as I can’

‘No rush, I will be a while. Getting this done anyways’

Casey reached the diner about 15 minutes later as he took a detour down the beach.

Back at the house…

‘Got the food?’ Nicole asked from the kitchen

‘Yep, can you get the plates?’

Coming!’

A few moments later there was a knock on the door. Nicole opened the door.

‘He’s not here’

‘I know I saw him leave’

‘What do you want? He will be back soon.’

‘Please get him to come home?’ Brax insisted

‘I don’t even know why he left? How can I give him any guidance?’

‘You can. Just tell him that he needs to come home’

Nicole closed the door and turned around. She didn’t want to rock the boat with Casey. It had taken a lot for him to stay with her.

She still didn’t know what was going on with him but she resolved to leave it to him. If he wanted to tell her, he will do it in on his own terms and when he was ready to tell her.

Belle and Aden were sitting on the sofa after their meeting at the school. Belle looked at Aden and said ‘I love you’

Aden didn’t say anything to her; instead he put his hands on her face and leant in to hers so that his nose was touching hers,

‘I love you too’

He leant in and kissed her lips, he could feel her shaking and so he moved away ‘You okay?’

‘Yea, I just have been waiting for this moment for so long’

‘Me too’ he breathed out ‘I have been so unhappy not being around you, I can’t get you out of head’

‘Same. I don’t want to deny how I feel anymore’

‘Me neither’ he said as he thought back to Irene’s letter ‘Life is too short’

She nodded as she snuggled up to Aden who took her in his arms. ‘So..’ after a few moments of silence ‘When are we going to tell Justin?’ she asked

‘I don’t know, I want to be with you but he is my brother and I don’t want to hurt him, he doesn’t deserve that.’

‘I know but I can’t put my life on hold!’ Belle said getting frustrated

‘Hey’ he reassured her ‘don’t worry, I will tell him soon, let’s just take it one step at a time’

Belle got a cheeky grin on her face ‘Does one of those steps…’ she stood up ‘…lead to the bedroom?’

The highly reputable Jefferies grinned appeared as he chased Belle up the stairs and into her bedroom.

She positioned herself onto the bed smiling up at Aden. He took off his shirt and climbed onto the bed getting on top of Belle. She placed her hands around his neck and kissed him passionately.

He pulled off her top and moved his lips towards her neck but his phone rang disrupting him. He groaned and reluctantly got off her ‘Hello?’

‘Hey, where are you? I told you I needed to see you’ Miles said down the phone

‘Damn, sorry completely forgot, I will be there as soon as possible.’

‘Okay, am in my office’

Belle frowned as she sat up ‘Who was it?’

‘Miles, we were going to have a meeting about me taking the students on a residential’

She smiled ‘You better go then’

‘I will ring you tonight, I promise’

‘Alright, am going to jump in the shower’

‘Stop teasing me, I would rather be here with you’

Belle laughed as she shut the bathroom door.

2 Days Later

Aden got a phone call a few minutes before the lesson was due to start. ‘Hello?’

‘Aden’

‘Justin, what’s up?’ he asked

‘Matt wanted to see when you were coming up again?’

Aden smiled. He loved the fact that Matt called every night begging to have another go in his car. ‘I told him last night, it won’t be for a while’

‘I know, he came to me in tears’

‘Aww, such a Jefferies then’

‘Hey! Speak for yourself’

‘I’m only winding you up don’t worry.’ Justin said

Students started piling in and sitting down on the desks.

‘Listen. I have to go; I will talk to you later’

‘Hold on. Before you go, would you mind if we came down for a few days?’

Aden had already hung up at this point so he didn’t even hear it but Justin really needed to get out of the city, it was stifling him and if he was totally honest, he didn’t at the moment feel safe.

‘Sir?’ Xavier asked just after he had dismissed their lesson at the end of the day

‘Yes?’

‘There’s someone outside for you’ he said with confusion in his voice

‘Okay thanks’

A few moments later Justin walked in.

‘Justin? What’s going on?’

‘I need you to look after Matt for a few days’

‘I can’t, I have to go to the city as part of my training, I leave tonight, I was going to surprise you’

Justin cursed under his breath ‘I need someone to watch him for a day or two’

‘Sorry, I would if I could’ he said sincerely

‘Can’t you stay at mine and watch him?’

‘I still have to go to the conference, long hours, I can’t be there all the time’

‘Okay’ he said giving up on Aden ‘I will find someone else’

‘Like who?’

‘Relax, it’ll be fine

Justin was in the car casing Nicole’s place. He used his phone and contacted Charlie. ‘What do you want me to do now?’

‘You need to break in so that Steve doesn’t suspect anything’

‘And I won’t get my head kicked in?’

‘No, the family know what is going on and I can trust them not to do anything’

Justin crept around the house, creating destruction, as much as he could so that it didn’t look weird but not so much that it was a nightmare to fix.

Once he had done that, he got out of the house and got to his car. He got a text

The raid is going down, keep your head down and I will text you when it’s all clear. Charlie

Justin went to the hostel and waited in his room. All he really wanted was to be with Matt. He was his life but he kept on reminding himself that he was doing this for him and that they would both be better off for it.

His phone rang about an hour later ‘Justin.’

‘Charlie, is everything okay?’

‘Yes, we got the location and the men. You are off the hook’

Justin breathed out

‘Remember this though, don’t get in this situation again!’

‘I won’t, my son is my priority, thanks’ he said before Charlie hung up the phone.

So here it is, my final chapter of this fic! I am so sad to be finishing but the end beckons. I want to say a massive thanks to all my readers, it honestly means so much to me and without you lot, I wouldn't have wrote so much. I want to dedicate this chapter to Miranda who has always supported me and helped me with the chapters :) Enjoy :wub:

Chapter 20

He felt the world slipping out of his grasp, so much had changed and yet everything felt the same as he lay there on the bed.

He was all alone and yet he needed that, to be alone made him realise that everything had to be done.

He had to make sure his family avoided all this pain that he was going through because they didn’t deserve that at all.

‘Mr Braxton, we have your results back’

Heath sat up and said ‘don’t prolong it just tell me’

‘I am afraid your cancer has returned’

Heath was aware that the doctor had carried on talking but he heard one word that got caught in his throat as he said it to himself ‘Terminal….’ The voice broke off then hen he heard ‘It’s terminal, its spread to your liver and stomach. We can administer chemotherapy to prolong your life for another 6 months to a year’

‘No’ Heath said determined ‘I want to die with dignity not stuck in hospital stuck to a machine’

The doctor looked at him and replied ‘Of course, it is your choice’

‘How long do I have left?’

‘I am really sorry to say this but you only have a matter of weeks’

Heath unexpectedly gripped his hands, and for the first time what seemed like such a long time he cried.

One month later…

Casey was cursing at his English essay; he didn’t get Shakespeare, never had and probably never will.

‘Whoa’ Nicole commented

‘What?’ he asked slightly peeved off

‘You look like your eyes are about to burn the laptop down’

‘I honestly wish it would’

Nicole smiled ‘when’s it due in for?’

‘2 weeks.’

‘What’s the word count?’

‘2200’

‘And how much have you done?’

Casey frowned ‘What am I in a game of 20 questions?’

‘Answer the question’

‘1000’

Nicole sat down next to him and he didn’t flinch, maybe he was getting used to her being near him now.

‘So cant you go back to it?’ she asked pulling her legs up against and snuggling into the corner of the sofa.

‘Yes’ he shut the lid of laptop ‘I will do’

Nicole’s phone beeped.

Talked to him yet?

Nicole replied back

No and I am not going to. Stop texting me!

‘Who was that?’ Casey asked returning from the kitchen with two glasses of orange juice.

‘Brax’ she replied

‘What did he want?’ he responded tersely.

‘To tell you to go home’

Casey tensed up as he handed her the glass.

She put it on the table. ‘I can’t tell you do anything but I don’t even know why you are here’

He looked at her and then proceeded to tell her everything about his past.

‘Where’s Heath?’ Nicole asked Brax when she arrived at the house later that day.

‘No idea, he and Casey haven’t spoken to me since…’

‘Since you revealed that you were Casey’s father?’

‘When did you find out?’

‘This morning, he told me, I can’t believe it though, why?’

‘I had to, I was naïve, I couldn’t see myself as a father but it’s ironic, I have been his father anyways, and yet I can’t believe that I didn’t just be his father then’

‘Just be his dad now, he will get used to it, and you and Heath are his only family at the moment’

Casey walked in only a few seconds later with tears streaming down his face.

Brax was shocked to see him there ‘Case?’

‘Heath’s in hospital. I just saw him go in’

Brax frowned ‘What?’

Nicole clicked on ‘His cancer’

Casey turned to look at her ‘What?’

‘Well, it has been a while and I think he just wanted to get himself checked out’

‘And how do you know?’

‘I don’t’ she replied honestly ‘but since you two haven’t been talking to him, he’s already on the side lines’

Brax grabbed his keys. ‘We need to go and find him’

Nicole ushered Casey out of the house and into the car, his protests fell on deaf ears. ‘Just get in the car. Stop acting like such a little child!’

She glared at him when he tried to protest yet again and he went along with her.

The car journey however was very tense and Casey didn’t say much. Brax wanted to say something but he decided against it.

Aden walked into his flat, only a few seconds later he heard his phone ring.

‘Hello?’

‘Aden. Can I come around?’

‘Sure, you okay?’

‘I just need to talk to you’

‘That’s fine, are you bringing Matt?’

‘If you don’t mind?’ he asked

‘of course not! He’s my nephew!’

‘Cool, we will be over in a while then’

As soon as he put the phone down. Belle rang him ‘Hey babe’

Aden smiled ‘Hiya! You finished the newspaper stuff?’

‘yep, its all done, ready to be published’

‘When is it due to be published?’

‘Next Monday, I might get a few more features in, to get more people involved’

‘Sounds good’

‘Are you free?’ she asked.

‘Actually, Justin’s coming around’

‘Are you going to tell him?’

‘Yea, I am, you sure you are ready for this?’

‘I am. Do you want me to be there?’

Aden smiled as he heard a knock on the door ‘it’s okay, I will do it. I will ring you later’

‘Love you’

‘Love you too’ he replied as he walked to the door and opened it.

Matt walked in and jumped on the sofa ‘I want ice cream’

Aden looked at Justin. ‘What have you done to him?’

‘What can I say, he loves his ice cream’

Aden smiled and said ‘Well I don’t have any’

Matt turned around and looked utterly shocked. ‘Really?’ his bottom lip quivered as if he was about to start crying.

‘Sorry’ Aden said honestly ‘I will take you to get some later…’

Matt looked at him and said ‘Promise?’

‘Promise, now I need to talk to your dad. Can you watch tv without disturbing us’

‘What’s in it for me?’

‘Ice cream’ he said matter of factly.

‘Okay’ he agreed and Aden put on Alvin and the chipmunks on for him

They went into the kitchen and stood so that they could see Matt.

‘Okay, so he’s occupied. What did you want to tell me?’

‘Well, I don’t know how to say this’

Justin frowned ‘What?’

‘I am…’

‘Am...what?’

‘Give me a chance to say it!’

‘Sorry, go on’

‘Dating Belle’ he said waiting to see if Justin was going to deck him

‘About time’ Justin said!

‘What?’

‘Oh come on, i knew she liked you and you liked her! How long has it been?’

‘About a month’

‘Good, am really happy for you’

Matt came ‘I want ice cream?!’

‘We will go and have some dinner and if you eat it all then you can have it’ Justin said ‘Don’t look at your uncle like that, he won’t listen’

Matt huffed as they got ready to go to the diner.

There was a weird tension as they walked in. Belle was at the counter looking a bit sad.

‘Hey what’s up?’

‘Nicole just phoned. Heath’s in hospital?’

‘Why?’

‘His cancer’s back’

Justin took Matt to sit at a table sensing it was not the right conversation for him to hear.

‘It’s terminal’

‘He collapsed in hospital not long after she got there’

‘Is Casey and Brax there?’

‘Yep, Heath’s body is shutting down; the cancer has spread too much. The doctors don’t think he will survive much longer’

Belle touched Aden’s hands. ‘Are you okay?’

‘Yes, I am fine, just in shock. I never expected it to beat him’

‘I know, Nicole was in shock’

‘You gonna go up?’

‘I wanted to but Nicole said its better if it’s just them, I don’t think they want too much people around them’

Aden looked at Justin ‘Sorry, I shouldn’t have brought him here’

‘Who?’

‘Are you finished yet?’

‘I am just covering; I will be done in a moment’

‘Come over, you need to meet someone’

Belle frowned and placed her hands on the counter ‘Okay. Sounds mysterious enough’

Heath lay there, he was vaguely aware that the nurse was checking his obs and adjusting the morphine level.

His mouth was so dry that it sounded like a croak when he asked for ‘w.w.water’

‘Hold on’ he heard Casey saw.

‘Here’ Heath felt Casey move the glass and the straw towards his mouth.

‘Thanks’

‘Why didn’t you tell us?’

‘What? That I was dying?’

Casey shuddered when he said that. ‘Yes, I thought we were getting back on track?’

‘We are, well were, I just didn’t want to burden you, you and Nicole are finally getting your acts together’

‘Casey…’ Brax said ‘I need to talk to Heath, for a moment’

‘Sure, I will only be outside, mate’

Heath nodded and Casey relaxed his grip on Heath’s hands.

‘I can’t believe you hid it, we are your family’

‘Come on’ he groaned lifting himself up slightly so he could see Brax better. ‘You had your own issues to deal with, why should I have made your life harder’

‘We could have been here for you’

‘To comfort me? No, I wanted Casey and Nicole to sort it out, it’s funny, it look my demise to make me realise, that Nicole loves him and that despite it all, she should be with him and ot me’ he admitted with sadness.

Nicole walked in a few moments later ‘hi…’

‘Hey… Brax can I talk to her, I want to say goodbye’

Nicole replied ‘Don’t do that, I don’t want to say goodbye’ she said as tears began to fall down her face.

‘Sorry, but it is goodbye. I have accepted it, I am not going to be around much longer’

She closed her eyes ‘I don’t want it to be goodbye’

‘Shh. Don’t cry’ he gestured for her to come closer ‘I just want you to be happy, be with Casey if that’s what you want, all I ever wanted was for you to be happy, that’s all’

‘Will you please send in Casey?’

‘Of course I will’

A few moments later, Casey walked in.

‘Heath’

‘Case… I am sorry about everything; I was such a jerk to you. If I could take it back, I honestly would.’

‘Me too. I don’t know what to do anymore.’

‘About what?’

‘Nicole. I love her. I always have but are we right for each other?’

‘You are, you fit together, I can’t really explain it but you really do’

Casey smiled for a moment and then realised where he was.

‘Its okay, you can smile. Life moves on; don’t be afraid to live life, it’s far too short’

‘Wow’ Belle said to Justin when Matt and Aden went on the beach for a kick around.

‘Yeah. It is so unreal the way this time a few years ago, I was a single guy on my own and look at me now, with a fantastic son and Aden is pretty good as well’

‘Don’t let him hear that’ she said laughing

‘I won’t, his ego is big enough’

Belle smiled ‘it makes sense now you know’

‘What does?’

‘Why you never came to the funeral’

Justin looked at Belle sitting on the beach and he sat next to her ‘I couldn’t come, I wasn’t ready to tell you about Matt’

‘I know. This might sound horrible but I am glad you did that and we broke up’

‘Why?’

‘Because it led me to Aden and I love him’

‘That’s clear, it really is’

‘You two will be happy together, I know you will’ he said as he watched Matt and Aden wrestle on the ground laughing, it was like music to his ears.

Heath was barely breathing as Casey, Brax and Nicole sat around the bed. ‘Brax’ he breathed

‘Hey’

‘Case?’

‘Here?’

‘Nic?’

‘Hi’

‘Do me a favour Nic’

‘Anything’

‘Be happy, that all I want for you’

Nicole put her hand on his leg ‘I will. I promise’

‘Case’ he said

Casey had tears down his face, Brax held his hand, and he didn’t try to move away from him, he needed him at that point.

‘I want you to promise me one thing… and you Brax’

‘Be close again, Case, he made a mistake but he was a kid, I don’t remember much but you know how much he loves you, the way he always looks after proves that.

‘I know, I know, I will try’ he looked at Brax and said ‘I will try’

They sat there in silence for a few more moments and when Nicole felt Heath’s grip desist, Casey knew as she started to cry. He moved towards her and held her till she had cried all her tears, crying along with her. Heath had gone but he wasn’t lost, Casey was going to do his best to live up to his legacy. He owed him that much and he would do it for him. As he looked at him for the last time, he whispered just loud enough for Nicole to hear.

‘I love you bro, rest in peace’

:wub: Thanks again for reading, please comment x

Comments

Archived