Life's Hardest Hurdles

Guest thejefferies

Story Title: Life's Hardest Hurdles

Type of story: Short/Medium fic

Main Characters: Xavier, Ruby, Annie, and some new characters.

BTTB rating: A

Genre: General

Does story include spoilers: No

Any warnings: Occasional violence

Summary: This story delves into the lives of Xavier, Ruby and Annie. It shows what they're having trouble with and what is soon to arrive in their somewhat happy lives.

Chapter One - Deceit's corner.

(The story's timeline is based in August 2010 and on)

Xavier and Ruby were walking down the beach and up over some sand dunes, when Ruby noticed a glittering object wedged deep in the sand.

"They wouldn't miss it, would they?" Said Ruby as she bent down to pick up the mysterious object.

"Who?" Said Xavier as he looked astonishingly at Ruby.

"The people who lost it" Said Ruby as she carefully cleaned off the sand covering the now identified pot. Xavier then signaled Ruby to follow him and he quickly darted off into the distance. Ruby then quickly followed put the object in her school bag.

Xavier and Ruby arrived at school to find Annie sitting alone. Xavier and Ruby then approached her with warm smiles showing glee and happiness.

"We've found something great" Said Ruby as she took out the pot and handed it to Annie. Annie then examined the pot and handed it back to Ruby.

"I'm not sure if we should keep this" Said Annie as she began to get up and head to class. Xavier then patted Annie on the back and replied

"I'm sure if somebody left this sitting around the sand by itself, they wouldn't want it" And then Ruby and Xavier both headed to their classes.

Meanwhile, a tall man with daggy clothes, untidy curly hair and aftershave stubble looked around in the sand dunes. He gets increasingly irritated when he constantly fails to obtain his "special" pot. Suddenly, when somebody else approaches, he runs off and hides. Alf appears and shakes his head and walks inside after he looks through the surrounding area. The man then reappears and once again continues to search for his prized possession.

Xavier, Ruby and Annie are now out of class and are heading home when they find the man. All three of them approach him, since he looks distressed and angry.

"Have you lost something?" Asked Xavier.

"Yes, my families pot" Said the man.

"I found somet-" But then Ruby cut off Xavier's sentence.

"Nope, we haven't found anything here" Said Ruby. The man then quizzically looked at all three of them and smiled.

"Thanks for the help anyway" Said the man as he continued to look for the pot. When Xavier, Ruby and Annie got to be a fair distance away from the man Xavier looked angrily at Ruby and said.

"Are you crazy? He looks mental. We should have given it back to him"

"Not when it's worth at least a couple of hundred bucks" Answered Ruby with a smile. Xavier then waved at Ruby.

"I've gotta go, we'll catch up later, yeah?"

"Sure" Said Ruby as Xavier then quickly made his way up a sand dune and headed off.

Great start! :)

I'm glad you've written a fiction about Ruby, Annie and Xavier and I'm looking forward to where you take this.

I think they should have given the precious pot back to the man...

Can't wait for the next update :D

• 2 weeks later...

Chaper Two - Redemption

The sand washed up onto the cold, harsh shore and make an ongoing roar that upset birds nearby. Out of a nearby clearing appeared the man from before. He opened a piece of paper and sat down upon a rock face nearby. He slowly tore open the envelope to unveil a series of photos and letters. One letter fell into his lap and he picked it up and slowly read it.

"Dear Stanley,

I'm sorry to inform you that I've got cancer. I wouldn't want you to worry, but I'd love for you to finish my best wishes before my time is up. The other letter in the package you've received is the complete list. I hope you finish my list soon, as it's a high proritiy of mine before I leave the Earth.

Sincerely, Jack Thompson"

The man obviously named Stanley then rolled the letter up and shoved it into his pocket. He then took the photo's of Xavier and Ruby out and then slowly got up and followed the path to the beach house.

Xaivier and Ruby were getting ready for school, when Xavier stumbled upon the pot Ruby had stolen. He sneaked it into his bag and quickly darted off without Ruby noticing.

Down at the beach the man confronted Xavier after he recognized his face from the photo. Xavier quickly ran away but the man chased after him. After a short chase, Xavier relented and the man apprehended Xavier.

"I've gotta talk to you. It's about your dad" Said Stanley.

"What 'bout him?" Replied Xavier, looking increasingly worried.

"He might not be your dad" Replied Stanley with a grim look on his face. Xavier then looked outright surprised and then got up and started to run away. Stanley then called out to Xavier but Xavier ignored Stanley and kept on his way back home.

Later on, Stanley was on the phone with the Jack Thompson and he said he wanted to meet Xavier and Ruby in person. Stanley agreed and hung up the phone. He needed to get Xavier and Ruby to meet Jack and he needed a good plan in able to make that happen.

Xavier and Ruby were sitting down together at school, when Ruby got up with a smile on her face.

"You know what I think we should do?" Asked Ruby.

"What?" Answered Xavier.

"We should just ditch class. Come on, it'll be fine" Said Ruby as she grabbed Xavier's hand and took him off with her out of the school gates.

"I'm not sure this is a good idea" Said Xavier.

"Shh, don't worry, we'll be fine" Answered Ruby. But nearby, Stanley lurks, watching their every move.

Archived