Anything For Love

Guest bradyell

Ok, so i am really not sure about this at all!!! Thanks to Naomi for proofing the big part and for the support!

Hope you all enjoy...

Chapter 11

Silence pulsed around the room as Aden, Belle and Roman all contemplated the idea that Nicole could be guilty of killing Aden’s grandfather.

“Nic.” Aden whispered breaking the silence.

“Do you think…..” Belle faltered before she could finish her sentence.

“We should….I’m going to see her.” Roman jumped up from his seat.

“We’ll come too.” Aden insisted pushing Belle from his lap gently so he could stand up.

It took a few moments to get Felicity ready but before long they were all in Roman’s car headed towards Nicole and Geoff’s house.

The journey was mostly silent the only sound coming from Felicity and then Belle who soothed her until she drifted off to sleep again.

When they reached their location Roman strode ahead whilst Aden waited for Belle to undo the car seat so he could carry their daughter inside. By the time they reached the house Nicole had just arrived at the door answering Roman’s knock.

“Hey guys.” She exclaimed “What’s up?”

Nicole looked pale and her eyes were ringed with dark circles.

“Sweetheart, are you alright?” Roman pulled her into his arms before anybody else could respond.

“Yeah.” Nicole dragged the word out pulling back from Roman so she could look at him properly before diverting her attention to Aden and then Belle. “I guess I know what this is about don’t I? you guys had better come in.”

She ushered them all into the kitchen. Aden continued into the lounge where he placed Felicity’s seat, leaving her in there to sleep whilst he went to rejoin the others. They had all seated themselves at the table so he pulled out a chair and sat down. It was obvious that nobody had spoken so he broke the silence.

“Nic, my er…..my granddad…..he’s….”

“Dead? Yeah, I thought he might be.”

Nicole’s attitude was so blasé that the others could do nothing but stare at her.

“Oh I…..you guys think I killed him right?

Flashback

“Look Leah, I’m just gonna head off.”

Nicole had been Roman and Leah’s house for half an hour and there was still no sign of her father returning.

“You can’t walk home alone in the dark Nic.” Leah told her.

“Leah, I’m a big girl, I’ll be fine.” Nicole insisted.

“Bu…..”

“I’ll be fine.” Nicole repeated standing up from the couch and heading towards the door. “I’ll text you when I get home.”

“Don’t forget.” Leah followed the younger girl and hugged her goodbye.

Taking a deep breath of fresh air as she left the house Nicole realised that she felt almost back to normal and decided to take the more scenic route home along the beach. She rested a hand protectively on her stomach as she strolled along the familiar path. Within a few minutes she was kicking her shoes off as she reached the beach. Enjoying the feeling of the cool sand between her toes she let her mind wander as she made her way along the waters edge. She was startled out of her almost trance like state when she practically bumped into a figure coming the other way.

“I’m sor…..” She was about to apologise before she realised who it was she had collided with. “Oh, you!”

“Yes me.” Aden’s grandfather replied with a sigh as he dropped down so he was sitting on the sand.

“Why the hell are you still here?” Nicole barked down to him.

“You know, if I had a dollar for every time I heard that tonight….Well you don’t have to worry, I’m on my way.”

He raised his right hand which contained a bottle of whiskey and then with his left pulled a bottle of pills from his pocket and shook them in Nicole’s direction.

“Oh. Well…….well I hope this little show and tell isn’t some pathetic attempt at a cry for help because frankly I couldn’t care less. In fact, a slow painful death is nothing more than you deserve.”

She looked at the old man with pure disdain and surprised herself when she realised that she actually meant the words she had spoken. She knew that whatever happened next she wasn’t going to do anything about it. She wasn’t going to use her mobile to call an ambulance or somebody to come and help the old man. Even more surprising was the fact that these realisations didn’t worry her or fill her with guilt as she would have expected them to.

“What would you know! You know nothing about me!” The old man exclaimed.

“I know all I need to.” Nicole replied. “I know how you hurt Aden! I know that despite what you he is a good man, a million times the man you’ve ever been! And I know that the world will be a better place without you in it!”

“Maybe you are right.” He sighed. “I’ve tried…..to make it better you know.”

“You can’t. What you did….there is no making that better. And all this……” she gestured to the bottles he was clutching “…..it just proves what a gutless coward you are.”

The old man shrugged his shoulders with a sigh before taking a long gulp from the bottle of whiskey. “I served in the war.” He exclaimed suddenly once he’d lowered the bottle from his lips.

“Oh right, so that makes up for you being a sick pervert then?” Nicole cried. Her temper finally getting the better of her. “You’re pathetic. I’m out of here!”

And with that she turned on her heel and abruptly marched away leaving the old man alone .

End flashback

Nicole’s calm facade had slipped during her telling of the events of the previous night so by the time she had finished her eyes were brimming with tears.

“Should I have helped him?” She whispered.

The question was meant for all of them but her attention was only focused on one person. Aden.

He slowly shook his head as his eyes met hers.

“No Nic.” He answered. “We all would have done the same.”

“Really?” She tore her eyes from his and glanced at Belle and Roman who were both nodding their heads in agreement with Aden.

“Really.” Aden replied. “Do you know he came to ours before you saw him?”

“I….no.” Nicole replied.

“Yeah, and I swear Nic, if the kids hadn’t been there I would have put a knife in him!”

“You wouldn’t have though, you….” Nicole tried to argue with him but he cut her off.

“I would. Honestly. I hate…hated him so much. Just the thought of him hanging around here, having to worry that we could bump into him at any second, the thought that he‘d be able to watch my children and Eden…..it was more than I could stand. I’m glad you left him there and I’m glad he’s finally done one good thing for me. You were right what you said to him, the world is a better place without him in it! ”

“Am I going to get into trouble?” Nicole’s voice lowered again and this time she looked to her father.

“No. Nobody saw you right?” he waited for her nod of confirmation before he continued. “Me and Belle will talk to the cops if we have to about what happened with us and….”

“What happened with you?” Nicole interrupted, her eyes quickly flicking between the two people in question.

Belle hurriedly filled Nicole in, brushing as quickly as she could over the parts she knew upset Aden. Roman added on what had happened after she had left before continuing with his previous thoughts.

“….So, like I was saying. If the cops ask, Belle and I will tell them what happened and then I’ll say I met you on the beach and walked you home.”

“Bu…”

“No buts Nicole, that’s what is happening.”

Roman looked to Aden for some support and the younger man complied straight away.

“Roman’s right. It’s for…”

Before he could continue a shrill ringing emitted from his pocket. He pulled his phone out and glanced at the caller ID.

“It’s Angelo.”

Nicole let out a gasp and Belle reached out to take her hand as Aden connected the call and stood up from the table, heading into the lounge.

“Angelo, hi….”

He walked over to the couch and pulled Felicity’s car seat in front of him absentmindedly running his fingers over her soft hair as he listened to the news that the police officer had phoned to impart. He offered brief responses, but nothing much more than one or two words. By the time he hung up the call a pair of baby blue eyes were staring up at him from the seat.

“Hey pretty girl. Did daddy wake you up huh? I’m sorry Fliss.” after pushing his phone back into his pocket he undid the straps and lifted the baby out showering her face with kisses before bringing her to rest against his chest. “I love you so much angel.” he whispered into her tiny ear as he stood up and carried her with him back into the kitchen.

“What did he want?”

Nicole fired the question at him as soon as he was over the threshold.

“Well…” He walked back to his chair stopping briefly and allowing a small smile to grace his lips when Belle stood up to drop a quick kiss onto their daughters head as they passed. “..it turns out one of the cops found a whiskey bottle and an empty pill container a few metres away from…. him. So now, unless the post mortem turns up something else, which he is highly doubtful of, it’s being classed as suicide and they are gonna close the investigation.”

“What about where I punched him?” Roman asked. “Are they not suspicious of that?”

“They are putting it down to a drunken brawl as they have no evidence to suggest otherwise.” Aden explained.

“So that’s it?” Belle asked

“That’s it.” he replied.

• 3 weeks later...

Here you go folks, better late than never eh?! Hope you enjoy, only one more chapter left after this!! (i think :wink: )

Chapter 12

Following Nicole’s revelation and the phone call from Angelo, Aden, Belle and Roman remained with Nicole, reassuring her that in her position they would all have done the same thing. They had re-located into the lounge. After feeding her Belle had settled Felicity onto a matt on the floor where she was happily playing with one of Eden’s stuffed toys.

“What about Geoff?” Roman was the first to vocalise the question that they’d all been thinking.

“I….I can’t lie to him.” Nicole answered in a whisper.

“You can’t tell him the truth Nic!” Aden exclaimed.

Belle was seemingly the only one to notice the slight hint of anger and trepidation that had coloured Aden’s words. She reached over and took hold of his hand, squeezing it gently to reassure him that she was there and supporting him. He turned towards her and flashed her a small grateful smile as she began to speak to Nicole.

“Look Nic, I love Geoff, you know I do but…..but you know he doesn’t see things like most people do. To Geoff things are black or white, right or wrong. There are no grey areas…no….no concept of maybe doing the wrong thing for the right reason.”

“So you do think I did the wrong thing!” Nicole cried.

“No, that’s…..” Belle let out a deep sigh before continuing. “What you did…honey I would have done the exact same thing, we all would, we’ve told you that.” She looked to Aden and then Roman who both nodded their heads in agreement. “But in the eyes of the law Nic and to people who don’t know about what has happened in the past, it was the wrong thing. To Geoff it will be the wrong thing.”

“What if we told him what your Grandfather…..” Nicole looked at Aden but knew from the look of horror on his face that she wouldn’t put him through that.

“I……I……” Aden stuttered

“No, I’m sorry Aden.” Nicole was quick to reassure him. “I wont tell him, I promise. Belle’s right, he wouldn’t understand anyway. It’ll just be hard for a while to keep this from him.”

“Oh Nic!” Aden sighed “I’m so sorry that you’re going through this. I….”

“Hey, you don’t need to apologise.” Nicole insisted, some of her usual spark returning to her voice. “This isn’t your fault. You couldn’t have done anything different to prevent this. I made my own decision and now I have to live with the consequences.”

“You can talk to us though sweetheart.” Roman told Nicole reaching over to squeeze her hand. “Don’t bottle things up ok.”

“Yes dad.” Nicole replied a smile coming to her face. “I’ll keep you posted.”

“Keep who posted on what?” Geoff asked as he entered the room.

Before anybody could answer Geoff Eden bounded into the room stopping short when she noticed the various members of her extended family.

“Granddad, Uncle Ade, Auntie Belle. You are all in my house!”

“Yes we are missy.” Roman laughed whilst Aden reached out a hand and pulled her towards him.

“Why?” She asked simply as she willingly climbed up onto Aden’s lap.

“We came to check on your mommy.” Aden answered quickly before anybody else attempted a different explanation.

“Mommy was sick so we lefted her to get some quiet time.” Eden explained. “Are you better now mommy?”

“Much better sweetie.” Nicole answered.

“That’s good.” Geoff replied walking over to the couch and dropping a kiss onto the top of Nicole’s head.

“So, what have you guys done with my baby boy?” Belle asked.

“Mom!” She heard Jackson groan from the adjoining kitchen, causing all of the assembled adults to laugh. “I’m not a baby remember!” He exclaimed walking into the room, a can of soft drink clutched in his hand.

“Sorry babes.” Belle grinned. “Did you have a good trip?”

“Yeah, we had heaps of fun. And guess what?” Jackson asked as he walked over to the couch and squashed himself into the small gap between his parents.

“What?” Belle asked.

“Geoff let me steer for a little bit.”

“Really? That’s very cool.” She replied wrapping her arm around him and then looking to Aden. “Isn’t that cool babe?”

“Very very cool.” Aden agreed grinning down at his son.

“Ooo ooo! Jax, tell them about all the police people!” Eden exclaimed

“You tell them!” Jackson laughed.

The little girl let out a sigh and glared at her older cousin for a moment before continuing.

“When daddy droved the boat….”

“You don’t drive a boat Eden you steer.” Jackson corrected, earning himself another stern glare from the five year old.

“When daddy steereded the boat past the beach…” she continued adding extra emphasis to the corrected word “…there were lots of police people and police cars. Charlie and Angelo were there I seed them.”

“We were too far out!” Jackson added. “You don’t know that Charlie and Angelo were there. You’re just guessing.”

“No! I seed Charlie!” Eden insisted jumping down from Aden’s lap and coming to stand directly in front of Jackson, her hands placed firmly on her hips. “I seed her pony tail derrr! Charlie always, always has a pony tail.”

Geoff was about to interrupt the bickering children when he noticed how uncomfortable the atmosphere in the room had become. Nicole, Belle, Aden and Roman were all shooting furtive glances at each other.

“What’s going on?” He asked. “Have I missed something?”

“Er, yeah, kind of.” Aden was the first to answer. “Let’s…..” He nodded towards the kitchen as he stood up and Geoff quietly followed him into the other room realising that there must be something Aden didn’t want the children to hear.

“Are they both asleep?”

Aden had just walked down the stairs and slumped down onto the sofa. Belle walking out of the kitchen, tea towel clutched in her hands, dropped down next to him.

“Fliss was out for the count before I’d got her in the crib” Aden replied “and Jax is reading for a bit.”

“We have good kids don’t we.” Belle grinned leaning into him and pressing her lips against his in a quick kiss. When she pulled away she rested her head against the back of the couch, her eyes remaining firmly on her husband. “So, what did you tell Geoff?”

It was the first moment they’d had alone since Aden had spoken to Geoff. Belle had been on tenterhooks since but knew Aden wouldn’t want to speak about it when Jackson was around. Aden sighed as he reached out and took hold of Belle’s hand, needing to feel her somehow to give him the strength he needed.

“I just told him that the police were on the beach because they had found my……his… body and that he’s most likely killed himself.”

“Did he ask any questions?” Belle asked

“Nah, I think he was too shocked to be honest.” Aden replied. “God Belle, this is such a mess!”

He let his head drop against the back of the couch as Belle shifted her position so she was resting on her knees right next to him, looking at him straight on. The emotions that had been piling up for the last few days were all evident in his eyes and it tore at Belle’s heart to see the man she loved in so much pain.

“Baby, I…..come here a sec.” Not being able to talk in that moment for fear of breaking down herself Belle did the next best thing and pulled him into a hug which he gratefully reciprocated.

They stayed locked in each others embrace for a few minutes until Belle pulled away.

“Ok….talk to me” she urged after taking a deep steadying breath. “What are you thinking?”

“I’m thinking as much as I want it to be, this isn’t over.”

“But…..Angelo said……” Belle couldn’t keep the worry out of her tone, the thought of the police looking deeper into the old man’s death terrifying her.

“That’s not what I mean.” Aden sighed again. “I think that part at least is done. It’s just…. You know what I feel about him Belle…I don’t need to tell you but at the end of the day, as much as I hate it, he was still my grandfather and I’m the only one of his relatives who can deal with stuff now.”

“Stuff? Like a funeral?” Belle asked unable to keep the shock hidden.

“No! God, I hope they burn the old…..” Aden stopped himself and took a deep breath “No not a funeral. I am gonna have to tell people though.”

“Larry?” Belle asked referring to Aden’s father who had been in jail for most of the last ten years.

“Yeah, I guess I’ll have to go and see him.” The idea couldn’t have appealed to Aden less and it was clear just from hearing him say it how little he wanted to visit the prison.

“You could just call….” Belle trailed off when Aden shook his head. “Ok, I’ll come with you then.”

“No way sweetheart, I don’t want you anywhere near that place.” Aden’s voice was quiet but firm.

“But….babe, you shouldn’t have to do that alone, I want to be there for you.” Belle dropped Aden’s hand that she had been holding onto and raised hers to rest against his neck, her thumb rubbing his cheek.

“Belle, you are here for me, I know that, just not there. Please. I’ll take Roman if that would make you feel better, I just….I can’t have you in that kind of place baby.”

“Ok.” Belle agreed all be it reluctantly. She leant forwards and pressed a gentle kiss against his willing lips. “What now?” she asked as she pulled away after a few moments.

“Well, I can’t do anything tonight.” Aden replied “I’ll ring the prison in the morning and I guess I should call that number Rach gave me for a councillor too, see if I can get an appointment.”

“Yeah.” Belle nodded with a small smile. “I think that will be good.”

“I don’t know if good’s the word I’d use…” Aden quipped “…but needs must eh.”

He raised a hand and tenderly pushed a few loose strands of hair behind her ear.

“I love you Belle, so much. I couldn’t have got through any of this without you.”

“I love you too.” she replied. “And you never have to go through anything without me, we’re a team right?”

“Yeah.” he whispered his lips brushing against hers within an instant of the word passing them.

“Come on.” Belle pulled away and tugged on his hand as she shuffled to the edge of the couch and stood up. “Bed.”

“Bu…”

“Aden Jefferies, are you turning me down?” Belle grinned as Aden failed to respond to her gestures and remained seated.

“What? I didn’t…….I thought you meant to sleep…I…..” Aden spluttered

Belle let out a giggle as she pulled on his hand as he finally stood up. “That is what I meant. Sorry, I shouldn’t tease you, it was just too easy.”

“I’ll forgive you just this once.” Aden grinned, happy that amidst everything that was going on he was still able to enjoy the playful banter that he and Belle were so used to.

“You need sleep baby, and no sneaking out of bed at all hours if you have a bad dream ok.? Wake me and we’ll talk about it and then I’ll hold you till you fall back to sleep…..right?”

“Right.” Aden agreed. “If you insist.”

“I do!” Belle exclaimed reaching up and pressing a last kiss against his lips before pulling on his hand and leading him up the stairs.

• 2 weeks later...

So, this is it, the final chap!!!

I'd like to thank everybody who has read this fic for taking the time to do so, especially those of you who have left such lovely comments! I really have appreciated every one of them :D

A big, massive extra special thanks goes to Naomi who has, quite literally, cheerleaded me through some of the chaps!! :lol: cheers mate :D the last part is for you!

now all that's left is for you to enjoy...oh and to look out for the sequel - coming to a fan fic section near you soon ;)

Chapter 13

Two days after receiving the news about his grandfathers suicide Aden was making his way to the prison to impart the news to his own father. As promised to Belle he had asked Roman to go with him and he had instantly agreed. Despite the company Aden had remained silent for the majority of the journey, his fingers clutched so tightly around the steering wheel his knuckles were white.

“Aden, you should have let me drive.” Roman said breaking the silence.

“What? I’m fine.” Aden replied quickly.

“Yeah? Tell that to the steering wheel.” Roman said with a nod in the direction of the wheel. “Grip it any tighter and you’ll pull it off!”

Aden let out a wry chuckle as he loosened his grip. “ I guess I am a bit tense.”

“That’s only to be expected mate.”

“It’s just….God it’s just so messed up Roman.”

Roman shifted slightly in his seat so he could look at Aden properly. “Yeah I know. Look Aden, are you really sure you wanna do this? We could just call and…”

“No….I….I have to do this Roman.”

“Why?”

Roman’s question was a simple one but caused Aden to let out a deep sigh.

“It’s such a cliché but I guess I need the closure.”

“How so?” Roman asked.

“I thought……everything that happened with my grandfather and then dad…I thought I’d put it all behind me you know? That I’d dealt with it. But everything that has happened this past week has just proven that I really haven’t.”

“I’m sorry mate, I don’t understand. You’ve been so strong, in fact I’m really proud of how you’ve handled all this.”

“On the outside maybe.” Aden explained. “But inside…..I was so angry Roman, it was eating at me and I swear I would have killed him the other night if the kids hadn’t been there!”

“I don’t think you would have.”

“I would.” Aden insisted. “I’ve been carrying all this anger around for years, it just took seeing him to realise and….and Larry isn’t going to be in prison forever, one day he’s gonna show up in the bay and I don’t want my anger with him to hit me again like it did this time. I figure seeing him now…..well it’s gotta help right?”

“I suppose.” Roman answered after a moment. “You are the only one who can decide what’s best for you son but I do think maybe you should….”

“I’ve already got an appointment with a councillor.” Aden interrupted, anticipating what Roman was going to suggest. “Belle insisted.”

“She’s a clever lady your wife.” Roman grinned

“Yeah, that and in need of a good nights sleep without me waking her up.”

“You? Not Fliss?”

“Yeah, nightmares you know.” It was testament to the close bond between the two men that Aden was able to admit to the nightmares that had been plaguing him for the past week. “It’s typical really, just as we get Flissy sleeping through the night!”

“It’s a good job she loves you so much eh?”

“Totally.” Aden grinned, his first real one since beginning the journey.

“Alright mate?”

Waiting in the visitors room for the prisoners to be led in Aden was perched on the edge of his seat, his eyes trained on the door.

“Mate, you alright?” Roman repeated when his question went unanswered the first time.

“Huh? Wha….?”

“I was just asking if you were ok.” Roman said, placing a reassuring hand onto Aden’s shoulder.

“Not really. I will be when this is over though. Thanks by the way Roman, for coming and….well for everything.”

“No worries son, you know I’m here for you whatever you need. Here we go.”

He nodded his head in the direction of the door through which a line of men all wearing the same uniform walked. He instantly spotted Aden’s father and it was clear from the way Aden tensed that he too had spotted him.

“Here we go then.” He whispered to Roman the apprehension clear in his tone as his eyes followed his father across the room towards them.

“Aden, son…..” Larry had finally reached them and reached at a hand for Aden only to drop it after a few moments when Aden failed to return the gesture, keeping his eyes fixed onto his hands which were clenched in his lap.

“Larry.” Roman offered his hand and the other man tentatively shook it before sitting down.

“So, you come all this way and you aren’t even gonna say hello.” Larry quipped after silence had hung over them for a few moments.

Aden took a deep breath and slowly raised his eyes, looking Larry in the eye before muttering “hello”.

“It’s been a long time.” Larry seemed almost as uncomfortable as his son but determined to make the most of the visit.

“Yeah.” Aden replied

“Must be what eight, nine years.”

“Nearly ten.” As he spoke Aden’s hands clenched and unclenched, a sure sign of his unease.

“Wow, You’re married?” Larry had noticed the sun glinting off the wedding ring circling Aden’s finger.

“Yeah.” Was Aden’s monotone response.

“Do I know h…”

“Belle.” Aden interrupted “You…..met.”

“Oh yeah, I remember, she was a nice girl.” Larry replied seeming genuinely happy.

“She is.”

“So, how long……have you been married I mean.”

“Nine years next month.” Although reluctant to have this kind of conversation with his estranged father Aden had known that he was going to have to.

“kids?” There was a hint of hope in Larry’s voice that was unmistakable.

“Two.” Aden replied after a pause.

“Wow! That‘s….wow……it’s great mate. Boys? Girls? How old?”

“One of each.” As much as he tried to fight it Aden couldn’t keep the smile from his face, just the thought of his children made him so happy. “Jax….Jackson, he’s eight and Felicity is….” he paused for a moment to count “eleven weeks.”

“Just a baby then. That really is great. I bet you are very proud.”

“Yeah I am, they’re great.”

Roman nodded in agreement as silence once again fell over the small group.

“Look, Larry….” he said after a few minutes. “….There’s a reason Aden and I came to visit you today.”

“Yeah, I figured as much.” Larry replied. “Does it have something to do with my father?”

“What? Why would you say that?” Aden asked quickly.

“Because he came to see me a few weeks back and, well he mentioned that he was going to visit the bay and I thought…..”

“What!” Aden exploded “He…Are you kidding me?!”

“Aden, mate calm down.” Roman warned noticing how Aden’s raised voice had caused a number of the guards on duty to focus their attention on them.

“Son, I don’t unders….”

“Don’t call me that.” Aden interrupted Larry. His voice lower but no less angry. “You have no right to call me that! You knew he was coming to the bay but you didn’t think to warn me.”

“I…Aden I’m stuck in here, there’s not really very much I could have done.”

“You could have called” Aden stated “You could have found me and warned me that that scumbag was….God! I don’t even know why I’m surprised!”

“You don’t understand Aden.” Larry sighed slumping back in his chair.

“I’m a father.” Aden spat “That line might have washed years ago but not anymore. I would do anything for my kids, risk anything, I’d lay down and die for them but you….you’re just a coward.”

“Aden, please I……”

“Forget it, I don’t wanna hear anything you have to say.”

“But….” Larry let out a deep sigh, “….you came all this way to tell me something, at least tell me whatever it is!”

Aden stood up and rested his hands against the table that was between them.

“Ok, I came to tell you that your gutless father did us all a favour and killed himself!”

“He…..what?”

“Killed himself.” Aden repeated “Overdose. The police found him in the beach. He….”

“Mate, that’ll do.” Roman interrupted noticing Larry’s obvious shock at the news. “Larry are you alright?”

“He…he’s dead?”

“I’d hope so otherwise that post-mortem would have hurt like a bi….”

“Aden!” Roman warned “That’s enough.”

“Yeah you’re right.” Aden replied “Let’s go.”

At that Aden turned and marched out of the room leaving Roman and Larry staring behind him.

“Larry I’m sorry about…..”

“It’s alright Roman. I do understand, despite what Aden thinks.”

“yeah, I’m sure you do. Your dad….I’m really so….”

“You don’t need to pretend to be sorry about that. Look you should go.”

“Will…are you….”

“I’m fine Roman, go.” Larry insisted.

Roman took him at his word and after muttering a hasty goodbye made his way outside to find Aden. He had made it all the way to the car park before he spotted him leaning against the car.

“You alright?” he asked.

“Kind of.”

Aden clenched and unclenched his fists against the roof of the car as he took a deep breath before turning around to face Roman.

“Kind of?” Roman asked.

“Yeah, like I said in there I don’t expect anything more from him but it still…..”

“it still hurts right?” Roman guessed.

“uh huh” Aden nodded “It still hurts when he lets me down.”

“Come here mate.” Roman reached out and pulled Aden into a hug. “It’s alright son, it’s gonna be alright.”

Roman drove them home and during the drive he and Aden chatted about the events of the previous hour meaning by the time they arrived back in the bay Aden was feeling much better about things.

They arrived back at Aden’s house just as Jackson was arriving home from school, Roman beeping the horn at Nicole as she pulled away.

“Hey buddy.” Aden called as he climbed out of the car.

Jackson turned on the doorstep to face him.

“Hi dad, where you been?”

“Me and your granddad just had a few things to do.” Aden answered as he strolled towards his son

“Hey Granddad.” Jackson waved at Roman as he approached them.

“Hey yourself.” Roman grinned reaching out a hand for a hi five which Jackson obliged him with along with a huge smile.

“Why are you boys cluttering up my door step?” Belle asked pulling open the door. “Hello babes, good day?” She asked Jackson dropping a kiss onto his head as he passed her and entered the kitchen.

“It was alright…boring really!” Jackson replied with his usual answer.

“How about you?” Belle asked looking at Aden.

“Erm, can I fill you in later?” Aden suggested nodding his head ever so slightly in his sons direction.

“Ok.” Belle smiled stretching up on her tip toes to peck a quick kiss against Aden’s lips.”

“Actually you know what?” Roman said as he followed Aden into the house. “Jax, go and sort out an overnight bag and your stuff for school tomorrow. Has Fliss got……” As he spoke Roman paused and pulled open the fridge. “….Yep, this’ll be enough milk for tonight right?” He asked looking to Belle as he pulled a number of bottles from the fridge.

“Errrr what?” Belle asked looking as confused as Aden did.

“Jax and Fliss are gonna come spend the night at mine, give you two a bit of time together.” Roman answered “And don’t even think about arguing with me.” He insisted when he saw Belle’s mouth open to do just that.

“Bu…”

“No buts Belle! Now where’s Fliss? Come on Jax, we’ll swing by the diner on the way and pick something up for dinner.” As he spoke Roman ushered Jackson through the kitchen and towards the stairs as he went to find his granddaughter who was, as he expected, snoozing happily in her moses basket.

“Doesn’t look like we are getting a say in this does it?” Aden said as he looked to Belle.

“I guess not.” She replied with a grin. “I suppose I better sort out her stuff then. Will you grab the travel crib?”

“Sure.”

For the next fifteen minutes they were all busy sorting out everything the two children needed for a night away.

“You know I did mean just one night Belle” Roman laughed as Belle handed him a bag for Felicity that was full to the brim.

“She’s a baby Roman, they need a lot of stuff. So I’ve told you everything haven’t I?” She mused as she lifted the now awake baby girl out of her basket and held her close. “Did mommy forget anything sweetheart?”

“I think you’ve covered everything babe.” Aden laughed. Belle had spent the fifteen minutes calling instructions to Roman from various locations around the house. “And besides, they can just call if they need to right Roman?”

“Exactly.” Roman replied.

“She’s never spent the whole night away before.” Belle almost whispered as she dropped kisses onto the top of her daughters head.

“She’ll be fine Belle I promise.” Roman told her as he placed his hands on Jackson’s shoulders. “You all ready big man?”

“Yep.” Jackson nodded.

“Right, come here princess.” Aden lifted Felicity from Belle holding her level with his face “You be a good girl for Granddad and auntie Leah ok?” He brought her close enough so he could rub his nose against hers before kissing her chubby cheeks “Daddy loves you angel.”

“And so do I.” Belle added stepping as close to them as she could and pressing kisses to the little girls cheeks herself. “Sweet dreams baby girl.”

“Here you go Roman.” After a final kiss from both of her parents Aden handed Felicity to Roman and then looked down to his son. “Hug?”

Laughing Jackson threw his arms around his fathers waist “I love you daddy.”

“Love you too mate, you behave to yeah?”

“I always do.” Jackson grinned

“Yeah yeah.” Aden laughed.

“My turn” Belle insisted pulling Jackson into her own arms as she peppered his face with kisses. “I love you so much my baby boy!”

“I love you too!” Jackson grinned “But I’m not a baby!”

“I’d give up mate.” Aden laughed “Your mom is never gonna stop calling you that.”

“That’s because he will always be my baby boy.” Belle grinned. “Even when you are all old like us and we are really really old like…..well really really old people!”

Jackson laughed as he pulled away from Belle. “Let’s go Granddad before mommy gets too mushy.”

They all laughed at his comment as they made their way to the door. Aden wrapped his arms around Belle’s waist from behind as they stood on the doorstep watching as Roman loaded the children into the car and then waved as they pulled away.

Once they returned inside Aden led Belle to the couch where they sat down and he filled her in on the events of the day. She listened intently, reaching out and taking his hand to support him when she thought he needed it and offering her own take on the situation when he had finished.

“You know what?” Aden said “I just wanna forget all about it for now.”

“ok, we can do that.” Belle grinned, squeezing his hand. “But just for now. You need to deal with this properly right?”

“Right.” Aden agreed “I’ll sort it I promise. You know what I think we should do now though?” He asked, a cheeky grin forming on his face.

“What’s that?” Belle replied.

“I think, for tonight, we should forget that the last week or so has ever happened and pretend like I’ve just got back from my footie trip.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah, and you can spend the night letting me know just how much you missed me.”

“Oh, I think I can manage that” Belle whispered as she closed the gap between them.

The kiss was slow and long, each of them putting all the love they felt for one another into it.

“Hmmmmm” Aden grinned as they parted.

“What?” Belle asked her smile matching his.

“I think….” he began as he started to trail a line of kisses from the corner of her mouth along her jaw “….that I missed you….” he continued as his lips moved to her neck “…..much more than that.” by the time he had finished he had reached her ear lobe and began to gently nibble on it causing Belle to let out a small moan of pleasure.

“How much more?” she challenged as her hands brushed down his chest gently and then back up, this time underneath the t-shirt he was wearing.

“More than I have the words for.” he whispered into her ear.

A smile on her face Belle pulled away from him slightly, her eyes never leaving his, her fingers trailing over his taught stomach as she sought to find the hem of his t-shirt.

“How about you show me.” As she spoke Belle gripped onto the t-shirt and tugged it towards his head.

“Here…” he put a tiny bit more distance between them as he helped her to remove the clothing she so desperately wanted out of the way. “That better?”

“Much!” Belle grinned closing the gap once more and crashing her lips against his as her hands roamed his body.

As the kiss deepened Aden set his fingers to work on undoing the line of buttons on the shirt Belle was wearing. Once he had a few done he tore his lips from hers and instead followed the progress of his work by placing a hungry kiss in the space left by each open button.

“God Belle…you are so beautiful.” he whispered as he pushed the shirt from her shoulders his lips retuning once more to hers.

“Are we doing this here then?” she whispered breathlessly.

“uh huh” Aden grinned stealing another greedy kiss. “For starters.”

“Starters?” Belle chuckled against his lips.

“Yeah, we have all night baby, I say we make the most of it.”

“Hmmmm” Belle grinned “Sounds perfect.”

Comments

Archived