Anything For Love

Guest bradyell

Story Title: - Anything for love

Type of story: Short/Medium Fic

Main Characters: Aden/Belle mainly plus their families

BTTB rating: T/A (just to be on the safe side)

Genre: Drama

Does story include spoilers: No

Any warnings: Abuse mentions

Summary: - People sing about dying for the ones you love but what about killing? would you kill for them? What if Aden's granddad hadn't died, just moved away? What if Belle and Roman are the only ones who know of Aden's past? What if granddad turns up as a volunteer at the local school? the school attended by Aden and Belles 8 year old son. When the old man is found dead days after his secret is revealed to the town the fingers of blame all point in one direction but are they pointing the right way?

Chapter 1

Aden breathed a sigh of relief as he pulled his car onto the driveway of the familiar house. He had just spent two nights away from his family at a football tournament with the high school team he coached and to say he was relieved to be home was an understatement. He quickly climbed out of the car and after grabbing his bag from the passenger seat, made his way into the house.

“Honey, I’m home!” he called in a sing song voice as he entered the kitchen, dumping his bag onto the floor.

“Hey baby.”

Before he knew what was happening his wife was in his arms peppering his face with kisses.

“Miss me much?” He grinned as he pulled away from her slightly, his hands raising to cup her face.

“Of course!” She replied with a smile matching his. “you?”

“Belle, I always miss you when we aren’t together.” He answered seriously. He stared deeply into her eyes for a moment before pulling her into a deep kiss.

“Mmmm, you can go away more often if that’s what happens when you get back!” Belle said as they pulled apart when the need for breath made it necessary.

“yeah, I don’t think so!” Aden chuckled.

“Nah, maybe not” Belle grinned. “The kids would never forgive you, they missed you this weekend.”

“Really? Where are they?”

“Jackson is at the beach with Rach and Harry and Felicity is asleep in the……Felicity is awake in the lounge.” Belle corrected herself when a series of whimpers emitted from the crib in the corner of the other room.

“I’ll go” Aden insisted, already making his way into the lounge. “Hey pretty girl.” As soon as he got to the crib he reached in and lifted up his ten week old daughter. “Hello Flissy, You missed me huh?”

As soon as he had her settled comfortably in his arms the baby girl stopped crying and proceeded to bat at his face with her tiny fist. “Hey, you little bruiser! I thought you had missed me?” He chuckled. “We’re not supposed to beat on daddy remember? We save that for uncle Geoff!”

“Aden!” Belle giggled. “Do you want coffee?”

“Love some!” he answered as he pulled out a chair from the dining table and sat down. “The stuff at the place we stayed was shocking!”

“Awwww poor baby! Bad coffee and your team lost! Daddy didn’t have a good weekend at all did he?” Belle mocked as she placed a mug onto the table in front of Aden and ran a hand over her daughters head before sitting down on the opposite side of the table.

“Funny!” Aden fired back trying hard not to let the smile that was fighting its way onto his lips show. “So, Jax sounded a bit grumpy on the phone last night, everything alright?”

Belle took a slow sip of her drink before answering “Yeah, he was just stroppy because he wanted Harry to stay over and I said no because it was a school night.”

“Ah I see. You know, he called me dad last night.”

“Yeah, I had noticed him saying that for the last…I don’t know…seven years!”

“Again with the funny!” Aden exclaimed. “He usually calls me daddy, last night was dad.”

“Oh! Our baby boy is growing up Aden.” Belle sighed “We’ll just have to deal with it!”

“Yeah, I suppose we will. At least I have you eh princess?” He grinned, lifting the baby girl and placing her to sit facing him on the table, his strong hands supporting her back and neck. “You are always gonna be daddy’s little girl aren’t you huh?”

“I wouldn’t bank on it honey” Belle giggled, deciding quickly not to elaborate when she saw Aden flash her an un-amused look.

“Hello, anybody home?” Rachel called as she walked into the kitchen

“Hey Rach” Belle walked through from the lounge to greet her.

“Here you go, one little man returned safe and sound.” Rachel’s hands were resting on the shoulders of Belle and Aden’s eight year old son. His floppy blonde hair, inherited from his father was hanging, as usual, in front of his big brown eyes which were the perfect copies of Belle’s.

“Thank you very much. Hey babes, you have fun at the beach?” Belle asked as she reached forward and brushed the hair from Jackson’s face.

“Yup, we played soccer with Tony, he said he let us win but I don’t think he did really!”

“That’s just what we let him believe eh Jax?” Rachel grinned “It keeps him young!”

“Whatever it takes eh?” Belle giggled with a wink at Rachel “You want a drink Rach?” she asked

“Thanks for the offer but Harry’s in the car so I better shoot off.”

“Ok. Right Jax, have you said thank you to Rachel?” Belle asked pulling the little boy towards her.

“Thank you Rachel!” The little boy said sweetly before turning back to Belle. Mommy, is daddy home yet?”

“He’s in the lounge with Fliss” Belle answered with a grin, not missing the fact that Jackson had already reverted back to the use of mommy and daddy rather than the more grown up alternatives. “I’ll just say bye to Rach and check on dinner then I’ll be in.” She added as Jackson made his way into the other room.

“Hey mate”

Aden smiled at his son as he walked into the room. The two of them, much to his relief and joy were extremely close. When they had found out Belle was pregnant a few months after their wedding he had been worried that his own upbringing would have an effect on his role as a father. After many long conversations with Belle and Roman, the only people who were aware of what he had been through, he realised that he was the only one in control of how he chose to raise his child. He had been determined to be the complete opposite of his own father and the close bond he had built with his son proved to him that so far he was.

“Hi” Jackson replied, dropping down onto the couch next to Aden. “Did you win?”

“Fraid not.” Aden replied “We lost this mornings game which put us as runners up in the tournament”

“Never mind, it’s the taking part that counts right?” Jackson said.

The way he phrased it, clearly having no conviction in what he was saying, made Aden chuckle

“So mommy says!” Aden settled on replying

“It’s true!” Belle insisted as she poked her head into the room. “Now, washed up for dinner please. It’ll be on the table in five.”

“Is she asleep?”

Aden had just sat down at the table after settling Felicity and putting her into her crib so they could eat.

“Nah, but she’s pretty content just watching the mobile thingy.” He replied as he picked up his fork and tucked into the meal Belle had prepared. “This is good babe.” he added gesturing to his plate with his fork.

“Your mouth is full!” Jackson pointed out “I’m not allowed to speak with my mouth full.” He put added emphasis on the word my and Aden could see Belle struggling not to laugh just as he was.

“Sorry mate, all gone. Wont do it again!”

They fell into a comfortable silence for a while as they all ate. Aden broke it after a few minutes but not before making sure his mouth was clear.

“So, what’s happening at school Jax? Anything interesting?”

“Not really, it’s school! It’s boring!” the young boy replied shrugging his shoulders.

Belle laughed at her son’s typical eight year old response.

“There must have been something?” Aden pressed “C’mon, give me something!”

“Errr, well we’ve been talking about the community and stuff and how we can help.” His posture changed as he remembered the interesting subject, sitting forward in his chair, his attention focused.

“Yeah? That sounds interesting babes” Belle replied as Aden nodded enthusiastically, unable to respond in any other way due to the mouthful of food he had just taken.

“It is! Some people came in to talk to us about it and they are going to come back every day to help us. They are called volunteers. Some of them are real old, older even than granddad Roman and Nan!”

“Don’t let Nan Irene hear you say that!” Belle giggled. “She doesn’t like being called old!”

“I wont.” Jackson chuckled “One of them…the old ones…” he clarified “…he said I could call him pops ‘cause his real name is too difficult to say.”

“That’s nice of him.” Belle replied. She looked over to Aden and was surprised to see a distant look on his face.

“Aden, you alright?” she asked

“Huh? Yeah, I’m fine. I’m done.” he added lifting up his plate which was less than half empty. “I’ll go and check on Fliss.”

He stood up from the table and carried his plate into the kitchen before walking back past the table and over to the main part of the lounge. He slumped down onto the couch after glancing into the crib and it was obvious to anyone looking on that something from their conversation had bothered him.

As usual, once dinner was over, the family spent the rest of the evening chatting and watching T.V. Aden had joined in but once Jackson was in bed retreated back into the quite mood he had fallen into during the meal.

When she realised she couldn’t remember a thing that had happened in the previous part of the programme they had been watching Belle made a decision.

“I’m gonna head up” She said stretching up from where she was resting against Aden’s chest.

“Huh?”

“It’s gone eleven” she explained “Felicity will probably be up for a feed in a few hours so I’m gonna head up….to bed.”

“Oh, right…ok…..yeah, I’ll lock up and follow you up.”

“You don’t ha…”

“I’m pretty beat” Aden cut her off “It’s been a long few days!”

“Ok, see you up there in a bit.” The grin slipped from her face when a loud cry came through the baby monitor positioned in the corner of the room. “So much for a few hours!” she groaned.

“She’s probably just lost her soother.” Aden guessed

“I hope so” Belle said as she hurriedly climbed the stairs as her daughters cries escalated.

Fifteen minutes later Aden strolled into their now silent bedroom.

“She alright?” He whispered peering into the cot that was positioned at the end of their bed, smiling to himself when he saw their little girl sleeping soundly.

“Yeah, you were right” Belle replied just as quietly “She’d spit it out! I’m still not sure if we did the right thing by giving her a soother.”

“What harm can it do.” Aden grinned “Look at how happy it makes her.” he added trailing a finger gently down the baby girls cheeks, chuckling to himself as the action made her suck harder on the object they were discussing.

“Yeah, I guess. Did you check on Jax?”

“Yeah, fast asleep.”

“Was his….”

“Doona on the floor?” Aden guessed the rest of her question. “Yep! I don’t know why you bother putting it on!”

As they chatted Aden pulled his clothes off and a few minutes later, wearing just a pair of boxer shorts, was climbing into bed next to Belle.

As always, as soon as he was lying down Belle snuggled up next to him, and once he had stretched over her to turn out the lamp he wrapped his arms around her. As soon as his head touched the pillow Belle tilted her head and pressed her lips against his. He responded instantly and it was the kind of kiss that would soon escalate into something more, particularly as Aden had been away for two nights. Belle was surprised when, after a few moments, Aden pulled away with a deep sigh and turned his head in the opposite direction.

“Aden, what is it?” she asked, her tone of voice conveying the worry that was also evident on her face.

“It’s nothing, you should go to sleep babe.” Aden told her turning to drop a quick kiss to her temple before facing away from her again.

“Aden…..Aden look at me!” She insisted. She raised herself up onto her elbow so she could lean over him. “Babe, there’s been something bothering you since dinner. Talk to me please.”

He raised a hand to rub over his face as he took a shaky breath. “it’s…it’s stupid!”

“I’ll be the judge of that” Belle said as she picked up his hand and held onto it tightly.

“When Jackson was talking about the volunteers at school he said one of them told him he could call him pops and……that was….my……he…”

“Your granddad.” Belle whispered realisation dawning on her, making it more of a statement than a question.

“Yeah, that was what he made us call him. I haven’t thought about him in ages but as soon as Jax said that I could hear him you know?” Belle nodded as she let go of his hand and brought hers to his neck, her thumbs brushing his cheek. “It was like…..all those old memories just came flooding back Belle and I hate it!”

“Of course you hate it” she whispered soothingly “You’ve done so well to keep them away babe but they are always going to be there. What’s important is that you don’t let them define who you are anymore. You know how to deal with them.”

“Yeah, it’s just hard to get those thoughts to go away and I can’t….I can’t be with you whilst he’s in my head Belle.”

The sadness in his voice tore at Belle’s heart.

“I…..You never have to…..I understand Aden. I know it’s been a long time since you needed us to stop, but it’s not a problem. I just want to be here for you.”

“It is a problem! I hate that he…that what he did can still come between us all these years later. You are my wife Belle and I haven’t seen you for three days. I have spent every free moment thinking about you, about how much I want you!” He raised his hand to remove hers from his face and laced their fingers together. “I just…I can’t! I want to, but I can’t! and I know that’s stupid but…”

“listen to me.” Belle interrupted squeezing his hand. “I understand! I want to be with you too but not when you are feeling like this. I’m here now Aden and I’m always gonna be. I can wait, we can wait.”

“I’m not as irresistible as I think am I?” he managed a chuckle as he pulled her tighter against his side.

“Not quite.” She grinned. “Seriously though babe, as long as it takes for you to….clear your head or whatever ok?”

“Ok” he agreed. “Thanks Belle, for….for being the most amazing wife!”

“I don’t know about amazi….”

“Amazing!” Aden insisted. “I love you.”

“I love you too” she whispered. Tilting her head to press a gentle kiss to his forehead before shuffling down the bed to rest her head against his chest.

Within minutes Aden felt Belle’s breathing change indicating that she had already fallen asleep. He raised his head slightly from the pillow to catch a glimpse of Felicity who he was pleased to see was still sleeping soundly. Once his head was back on the pillow he turned it to look at the picture of Jackson that was propped up on his nightstand, a smile coming to his face as he turned back to Belle pressing a kiss gently into her hair. He concentrated his thoughts onto the woman in his arms and his two children, pushing the ones he was avoiding to the back of his mind and soon enough, he drifted off to sleep, a ghost of a smile gracing his lips.”

So there you have it! Chapter 1 :D Hope you guys enjoyed it, would love to hear what you think!

Thank you so much for the lovely comments guys :D I hope you all continue to enjoy it!

Not really much happening in this chap, i just wanted to sort of set the scene and let you all know where everyone was at before the drama starts! Which it will in chapter 3!

Chapter 2

Belle stood in the kitchen alone preparing lunches for Aden and Jackson. Felicity had been fed and was now lying contentedly on a matt on the lounge room floor, a baby gym above her to keep her occupied.

A smile lit up Belle’s face when she heard Jackson come down the stairs and greet his baby sister. When she had fallen pregnant with Felicity she had worried that with an eight year age gap Jackson might react badly to having a new sibling but her fears were allayed as soon as Felicity arrived. Their son had taken to the role of big brother like a duck to water and adored his little sister.

“Morning sleepy head!” she greeted him, her grin widening when she saw he had already got dressed. “I was just about to come and get you. Nic and Eden will be here soon so you need to get a wriggle on with some brekkie. Toast, cereal or both?” she asked.

“Do we have cocoa pops?” Jackson asked after a moments hesitation.

“Errr” Belle rooted around in the cupboard above her head for a moment before pulling out a box of the desired cereal. “Yup. Do you want me to pour it or…”

“I can do it myself” he replied cutting her off and taking the box from her hand. Grabbing a dish from the side he pulled open a drawer to collect a spoon.

“Awwww my baby boy is getting all grown up!” Belle exclaimed reaching over to ruffle his hair before winding her arms around his shoulders from behind and showering the side of his face with kisses.

“Mom!” he groaned as he tried to shrug her off. “Stop! And I’m not a baby, so stop saying baby boy! Fliss is the baby now!”

“See! You even call me mom and not mommy!” She grinned as she pressed a final kiss to his cheek. “And for the record, Flissy or no Flissy, you’ll always be my baby boy.”

Jackson tutted and shook his head as he pulled away from her and made his way to the table.

“Where’s the milk?” He called

“Here.” After a few moments Belle placed a jug of milk onto the table. “OJ or Apple juice? She asked

“Milkshake?”

“ha ha, very funny! OJ or Apple?” she repeated.

“OJ then.” Jackson answered reluctantly.

Belle poured him his drink before moving over to Felicity who had become bored and was starting to get grouchy.

“Hey there grumpy girl.” She picked her up and held her close to her chest, rocking her gently and whispering to her until she quietened down. “That’s better. Come on, you can help mommy finish off the lunches. Jax, you have like ten minutes until Nic arrives and you need to do your teeth too.”

“Ok, ok I‘m hurrying!” Jackson replied, shovelling another spoonful of cereal into his mouth to prove his point.

“Good man!” Belle ruffled his hair as she passed.

A short while later they heard the sounds of a car pulling onto the drive and after a few minutes a rapping on the door. Belle hurried to unlock it and quickly pulled it open.

“Good morning auntie Belle” the little blonde girl waiting on the other side of the door greeted her. “Morning licity”

“Hello gorgeous!” Belle crouched down and pulled the little girl towards her with her free arm. After her own children and Aden, Nicole and Geoff’s five year old daughter Eden was Belle’s favourite person. “How are you today?”

“I’m alright I pose!” she sighed in reply as she took hold of Felicity’s hand and wiggled it up and down.

“You don’t sound very sure sweetheart.” Belle tucked a lock of flowing blonde hair behind the small girls ear.

“Don’t listen to her Belle.” Nicole insisted as she walked up the path and placed her hands onto her daughters shoulder. “We’ve just been having the pony discussion again!”

“Ah, I see!” Belle pressed a kiss to Eden’s forehead before standing up straight.

“It’s not fair!” Eden pouted and stomped her tiny foot. “It’s just a little pony, not a great big, big horse!”

Nicole shook her head as she ushered her daughter further into the kitchen so Belle could shut the door. “No pony and not another word about it or no trip on the boat with daddy at the weekend.”

Geoff had been skippering the trawler Irene owned for years now and had built up a good, steady business. He often took Eden and Jackson out for a run around the bay of a weekend and the two children always enjoyed the treat.

“Ok, no pony!” Eden sighed “Where’s uncle Ade” she asked visibly perking up at the thought of one of her favourite people.

“He’s still in bed babes” Belle answered

“Ah” Nicole grinned slyly “Recovering from your welcome home party is he?” the wink she added at the end left Belle in no doubt as to her meaning of the word party.

“Did you have a party without me?” Eden asked, her bottom lip poking out and threatening to tremble.

“No honey, of course not! Mommy was just joking.” Belle glared at Nicole before returning her attention back to her niece. “Tell you what, why don’t you go and wake Aden up. I think he’d like that.”

“Yay!” Eden was skipping through the room towards the stairs within seconds. “Hello Jax.” she cried as she passed him.

“Oh yeah, Hey Jax.” Nicole called as she lifted the baby from Belle’s arms and began to coo to her as she walked into the other room.

“Jackson, teeth now please.” Belle called.

With a groan Jackson stood up from his chair and shoulders slumped made his way up the stairs to clean his teeth. Belle followed Nicole into the lounge and sat down with her at the table.

“Are you sure he’s not a teenager?” Nicole giggled as they heard the sound of the bathroom door slamming from above.

“Don’t!” Belle rolled her eyes. “Right, anyway, enough of the stalling, have you done it?”

“It?”

“Nic come on! You know full well what I’m on about!” Belle scolded.

“Alright.” Nicole grinned “Yes, I did it yesterday.”

“And?”

“And…” Nicole paused for a moment for effect until Belle reached over the table and nudged her. “And it was positive!” she answered finally.

“Oh my god!” Belle flew out of her chair, rounded the table and flung her arms around her sister in law. “Congratulations! This is…this is…..wow!” She pulled back keeping hold of Nicole’s arms. “This is good right?”

“Yeah, I guess.” Nicole replied reluctantly.

“You guess? I thought you and Geoff had planned this? That you were trying even.” Belle replied as she sat back down, instinctively shuffling her chair forwards, closer to Nicole’s.

“We were, I just didn’t expect it to happen this soon. I thought we’d have a few more months at least. I only came off the pill just over two months ago.” Nicole explained.

“Nic, right there in your arms is proof that two months is long enough! More than enough!”

Belle giggled as she remembered how her own daughter was conceived after she had forgotten to take her contraceptive pill a few nights before their wedding anniversary.

“Ah yes, your little miracle baby.” Nicole smiled. “I think I’m just a little surprised is all. Geoff is over the moon!”

“Awww, I bet he is!”

“You bet who is what?” Aden asked as he walked down the stairs, Eden resting on his hip with her arms tightly around his neck and Jackson trailing a few stairs behind.

“I’ll tell you later.” Belle answered him looking to Nicole to make sure it would be ok for her to tell him the news. Nicole nodded her head in response.

“Right, as much as I would love to sit here all day cuddling this gorgeous little lady I suppose I better move and get the three of us to school.”

Nicole was the secretary at the school Jackson and Eden attended and always picked Jackson up on her way in. She stood up from her chair dropping a few kisses onto Felicity’s head before handing her back to Belle.

“Bye bubba. You two all ready?” she asked her daughter and nephew.

“I am aunt Nic.” Jackson replied picking up his school bag and hooking it onto his shoulder.

“Eden?”

“I’m just cuddling uncle Ade mommy.” The little girl replied burying her face into her uncles neck as he chuckled.

“You are too cute you know that missy?” Aden told her as he used the fingers of his free hand to tickle her side. “But you’ve gotta get to school.” he added lowering her to the floor. “I’ll see you later ok?”

“Ok” she sighed “Love you squillions uncle Ade! Kiss!” She insisted pulling on his hand till he leant down and dropped a kiss onto her cheek and then turned his head so she could do the same to him.

“Love you too sweetheart” Aden replied.

“Hey son, we good for kisses and hugs still or is that not cool anymore?” he asked Jackson who grinned as he walked over and once Eden was out of the way wrapped his arms around Aden’s waist.

“Love you dad” He whispered.

“I love you too mate.” Aden replied dropping a kiss onto the top of his son’s head as he hugged him back. “Have a good day.”

“Yeah, I will. Bye”

“After letting go of Aden, Jackson went and said goodbye to Belle and within a few minutes he, Nicole and Eden left the house.

“So just the three of us eh?” Aden sauntered over to Belle and carefully wrapped his arms around her. He lowered his head to kiss Felicity who was now dozing in Belle’s arms and then raised it to press his lips against Belle’s. “Good morning” he whispered once their lips parted.

“Morning.” Belle replied. “How’re you feeling?” She stared deeply into his eyes knowing she would be able to read the answer to her question in them just as clearly as him telling her, if not more so. She knew that at times he would shield the truth from her if he knew that it would upset or worry her but she could always catch him out. “And don’t just say you are fine because I can see you’re not.” she added.

Sure enough that reply had been on the tip of Aden’s tongue so with a sigh he bit it back taking a deep breath before answering.

“I had a few weird dreams so I didn’t sleep all that well.” He answered truthfully

“Yeah, I could feel you tossing and turning.”

Belle raised her free hand and placed it on his cheek, sweeping her thumb tenderly just under his eye.

“Why don’t you go back to bed for another hour or so, you don’t have to be at work till eleven right?”

“Mmm. Nah, I’m up now. I’ll just get an early night tonight or something. Anyway, I was thinking about taking my gorgeous wife and our beautiful little girl out for breakfast. What do you say?”

“I say that sounds perfect” she grinned up at him.

“So it’s hush hush for the moment yeah?” Aden asked Belle as they neared the diner. She had filled him in on Nicole’s news as they walked and like her he had been thrilled for his sister and brother in law.

“Yeah, I’m not sure who they’ve told yet, if anyone, so it’s best we don’t mention it.” Belle explained.

“Righto.” he agreed as they entered the diner.

Belle was pushing felicity in her pushchair so as he walked across the bustling café Aden pushed a number of chairs out of the way to clear a path for her. He stopped at the first empty table and cleared a space for her to leave the pushchair. Then pulled a chair out for his wife.

“You are such a gentleman.” She grinned, planting a quick kiss on his lips before sitting down.

“I try.” he grinned back, sitting down himself.

“Aden, mate, what happened yesterday?” Roman exclaimed as he walked from the kitchen and spotted the couple “I thought you guys had that trophy in the bag!”

“Yeah” Aden sighed dramatically “Me too! I don’t know what to tell ya Roman!” As much as he insisted to his son that it was the taking part that counted Aden still felt a tinge of disappointment whenever his team lost a game and that was intensified when a trophy was at stake as it had been during the tournament at the weekend.

“Veej was like a bear with a sore head when he got home yesterday.” Roman told them with a small laugh. His step son VJ was in his final year at the high school and one of the stars of the footie team.

“He played really well.” Aden replied. “ We’d have lost by a lot more if we hadn’t got him playing.” he added sincerely.

“I’ll pass that on to him but I don’t think it’ll help!” Roman grinned. “Anyway, what can I get you guys?”

“Errr, I’ll have one of those bacon roll thingies and a coffee please.” Aden answered. “Babe?”

“Can I get a decaff and maybe a couple of croissants?” she asked.

“You can indeed.” Roman replied “And what about my gorgeous granddaughter here?” He reached a hand into the pushchair and tickled the little girl under the chin. “What can granddad get for you hey beautiful? What? You are all full up! Oh well, maybe next time huh?”

His grin widened as Felicity let out a stream of happy gurgles as if in response to his chattering.

“You are such a clever girl! Looks like you got your mommy’s brains huh? That was lucky wasn’t it eh! You wouldn’t have wanted to get daddy’s!”

“Hey!” Aden exclaimed as Belle and Roman both chuckled.

“And on that note I’ll leave the two of you to it!” Roman said. “I’ll be back with your order in a tick”

“Thanks Roman” Belle smiled. She lifted up slightly and peered into the pushchair to check that Felicity seemed comfortable and happy. Satisfied that she was she sat back down and reached across the table to take Aden’s hand.

“What?” he asked as her eyes bore into his. “Why are you staring at me?”

“Just wondering if you are ready to talk yet? You wanna tell me about the dreams?”

“Belle, I’m fine honestly. I don’t……” He sighed as he tried to think of the best way to tell her what he was thinking. “it’s not that I don’t want to talk to you sweetheart, you are here for me and I know that, it’s just I want to stop thinking about it all and if we talk about it today then the chances are I’ll have the dreams again tonight and then tomorrow we’ll talk about it again…you know.”

“Yeah.” Belle nodded her head. “I think I see what you mean. I just hate the idea of you going through this alone and hurting.”

“I’m not hurting babe, I promise. Yes the dreams were…..well they weren’t the best but then I woke up and you were in my arms.” he lifted her hand and placed a gentle kiss on it. “You make me feel better just by being there.”

Her stomach fluttered at his sweet gesture, smiling at him she replied.

“As long as you’re sure.”

“Yes I’m sure.” He insisted

As he spoke a bleeping emitted from Belle’s bag that was hanging from the handle of the pushchair. She leant over and rooted around inside, pulling her mobile out a moment later. She pressed a few buttons to bring up the text message, grinning as she read it.

“Hey, can you get an hour or so off work tomorrow?” She asked Aden

“What time?”

She glanced back at the phone before answering “Ten.”

“I should be able to yeah. How come?”

“That was Nic” she replied waving the phone “Jax’s class are doing an assembly thing, she forgot to tell us earlier.”

“Cool, I’ll be there.”

“Us too!”

Angelo and Charlie had just entered the diner and Charlie had just overheard the end of their conversation.

“Really? Aden asked “Things get that bad between the pushy parents that the school have asked for police protection?”

Charlie laughed “No! It’s all about community so they wanted a couple of officers to do a talk today and then join in with the assembly tomorrow. Mr broody here volunteered us!”

She nodded her head in the direction of Angelo who was currently leaning into Felicity’s pushchair, cooing and tickling the baby girl.

“What?” he asked, looking up to find them all looking at him and laughing. “Come on Charlie, look at her! Who wouldn’t want one of her!”

“Well, he does have a point.” Belle grinned “Are you really not interested Charlie?”

“I…..she is absolutely beautiful Belle, you know I think that but there is no way I am going through 9 months of pregnancy and then all that pain and….” she trailed off as a shudder shook her slim frame. “Nope! No way, I’ll just come and see Felicity for my baby needs.”

Belle and Aden both laughed and Angelo rolled his eyes. The couple had obviously had this conversation many times before.

Before anyone could say anything else Coleen called over to tell Angelo their coffees were ready.

“We better make a move, we’ve got a talk to give.” Charlie groaned, her eyes now being the ones to roll.

“Well tell Jax we said hi and have fun!” Aden grinned. “See you later.”

“Yeah, bye guys.”

By the time they had finished breakfast it was time for Aden to head to work. Belle decided to hang around in the diner a little while longer, wanting to see Irene who hadn’t started yet.

After Aden had kissed them goodbye she took her daughter out of the pushchair and carried her over to the counter were she perched onto a stool.

“Roman, do you have a sec?” She asked.

“Yeah, course. What’s up?” he rounded the counter and came and sat on the stool next to her.

For the next few minutes she filled Roman in on how the conversation during dinner the night before had unsettled Aden and about how he had had nightmares about it. He seemed as shocked as she had been.

“It’s been years since he even mentioned any of that stuff.” he said, running a hand through his hair “You think I should have a chat with him?”

“Nah, he said he just wanted to forget about it but I just thought I should give you a heads up in case he changes his mind and wants to talk.”

“Yeah, good idea. Hopefully he’ll be able to manage it himself before it gets too bad like it used to but he knows where I am if not.”

“Thanks Roman. He’s come too far to be knocked back now eh? Lets hope this is the worst it gets.”

So glad you are all enjoying so far :D Here comes the drama anyway......hope it's ok!

Chapter 3

Aden sprinted across the car park of the primary school raising his arm to glance at his watch as he went. If he had had the breath he would have sighed with relief noticing that it wasn’t quite yet ten and he had a few more minutes to make his way into the school and the assembly hall. Finally reaching the desired location he bent over, resting his hands on his knees and taking in a few gulps of breath before pushing open the door and entering. His eyes travelled round the room, along the rows of people until he spotted the back of his wife’s head. As he began to make his way over to her a door at the front of the large room opened and a line of young children made their way into the hall. Judging from their size they were the youngest class in the school and a grin lit up Aden’s face when he spotted the familiar face of his niece amongst them. Just as they reached the place where they needed to sit down her head shot up and her eyes landed on her uncle.

“Uncle Ade!” her face lit up and she raised an arm to wave frantically at him.

He laughed as he waved back until her teacher told her to turn around and sit down.

Belle’s head had snapped round at the shout from the little girl and she was now glaring at Aden, encouraging him without words to hurry into the seat next to her.

“Sorry!” He exclaimed as soon as he was sitting down. “My stupid car wouldn’t start so I had to run here. Hey sweetheart.” He reached down to tickle the baby nestled in the car seat next to Belle’s feet.

“Mate, when are you going to give in and trade up that shed on wheels!” Roman joked from the other side of Belle.

“Hey! It’s a classic!” Aden replied just as Belle nudged him in the ribs.

“Shh, here they come.”

Jackson’s class had just entered the hall and were taking their seats on the small raised platform at the front.

After a few moments of shuffling around the class settled themselves and one of them stood up to make an introduction.

Belle listened intently with a smile on her face and camera poised in her hand waiting for Jackson’s part of the talk. He had already told her that he was going to be introducing some of the volunteers that had been in their class for the previous few days.

Charlie and Angelo were called upon to give their talk before Jackson, Aden and Roman both earning themselves a dig in the ribs from Belle when along with applause at the end they added whoops and wolf whistles.

Aden stopped chuckling instantly as Jackson stood up. He beamed at his son when he looked up from the paper clutched in his hand and nodded his head in encouragement.

The young boy took a deep breath before starting in a slow yet clear voice.

“A big part of any community are the volunteers who give up their free time to help out. This week we have had some volunteers in our class.” he shouted.

Aden quickly looked to Belle and noticed her smile mirrored the one he was sure was on his face. He then returned his attention back to the front of the hall where a number of people, which Aden assumed to be the volunteers, were walking into the hall and coming to stand behind the children seated on the makeshift stage.

Whilst Jackson was talking Belle snapped a few pictures before lowering her camera and grabbing onto Aden’s hand, squeezing it tightly and grinning when he squeezed back.

A few moments later she looked round in confusion when she heard a loud gasp from her husband and felt his hand go lax in hers. She let out her own gasp when she saw the look of utter horror that had crept onto his face. For a brief moment she wondered if he was experiencing some kind of seizure or something similar. That was until her eyes followed to where his were rooted. On the stage, directly behind where their son was sitting was a man that she recognised all too well despite only ever seeing one photograph of him.

“Oh god!” she whispered “Aden!”

He struggled to breath as the room began to spin around him. He could hear Belle whispering and sensed Roman looking in his direction but he could focus only on one thing. The hands of his grandfather raising to come to rest on his son’s shoulders. He fought back a wave of nausea as he got to his feet.

“Get your hands off him!”

Much to his chagrin the exclamation came out as a strangled whisper. Fighting back against the dizziness threatening to overwhelm him he forced out another try “Get your hands off him!”

Belle watched in horror, frozen to her seat as Aden stumbled his way towards the stage.

“Get your filthy hands off my son!” Aden’s voice was finally loud enough to be heard as a number of people around them began muttering. A few teachers stepped forward and Roman stood up too.

Jackson’s eyes flicked quickly between Belle’s and Aden a range of emotions flittering across them, everything from embarrassment to fear.

“Aden!” Nicole cried. She had been standing at the edge of the hall near to the stage and stepped forward to grab hold of him. “What are you doing?”

“Nic get off me!” he shrugged her off and advanced more towards the stage. “Jackson, come here.”

Unsure of what to do Jackson looked behind him to the old man who had now dropped his hands and was staring at Aden, a look of recognition dawning on his face. The young boy then looked back to his mother as tears began to pool in his eyes.

“Jackson, come here!” Aden cried once again. He was now at the edge of the stage and in a large stride stepped onto it coming to a stop in front of his son. He reached out a hand and grabbed for him, pulling him off the chair in one quick movement.

“Son, I….” the old man reached out and made a grab for Aden’s arm but he recoiled away before it could make contact.

“Don’t…..don’t touch me! You….I’ll….I’ll kill you I swear to god! If you……”

“Aden, come on!” Roman had reached the stage by this time and pushed past Angelo to be the first to reach him. “Jax, go to your mom”

The little boy didn’t need telling twice as he hurried through the muttering crowd to Belle. Nicole, heeding Roman’s advice had gone over to her too and was now carrying Felicity towards the exit as Belle followed whilst attempting to comfort her son.

It had only taken an instant for Roman to figure out what was going on and now his main priority was to get Aden away from the old man who had caused him so much pain.

“Come on, let’s get out of here.” he put his hand on Aden’s shoulder, instantly regretting it when he felt Aden flinch away from the contact as he used to do when they first met. “Aden, it’s alright, let’s go.”

His attention was split a moment later when a familiar cry came from the group of small children sitting a few metres away.

“Granddad! Uncle Ade!”

“Eden.” The cry seemed to have shocked Aden out of the daze he had momentarily fallen into. He looked to Roman who instantly saw what he needed to do.

“Come here princess.” He stepped off the small stage and held his arms open to his small granddaughter who defied her teachers instruction to sit down and climbed over her classmates to reach him. “Good girl” he murmured into her hair as he held her tight against his chest. “Aden, mate, let’s get out of here.”

With a small nod Aden’s eyes travelled back to the stage and bore into his grandfathers. He remained like that for a moment before backing away slowly and then turning away altogether following Roman out of the hall.

Belle, Jackson and Nicole had made it to the car park and were standing next to Belle’s car. Nicole was strapping Felicity’s car seat into it when Aden and Roman left the building.

Aden strode across the car park, his sights firmly fixed on his son.

“Babe, it’s…”

Belle was cut off when Aden reached around her and grabbed at Jackson. He placed his hands at the top of his son’s arms and looked intently into his eyes.

“Did he touch you Jackson, did that fil….did he touch you?”

Confusion clouded the little boys face as tears once again filled his eyes.

“Jackson, did he touch you? Tell me, did that animal touch you?” he began to shake the little boy back and forth as his voice raised “Did he touch you?”

“Aden! Aden stop!” Belle cried pushing Aden backwards and wrapping an arm around Jackson “You’re scaring him! Stop it!”

Aden stumbled backwards, partly from her push but mainly from the shock of her words. He raised a hand and ran it through his hair and looked at his son, the tears now streaming clearly down his cheeks as Belle held him. At the sound of a small sniffle he turned to look at Eden who was now in Nicole’s arms a look of horror on her pretty face.

“Oh god!”

“Mate, it’s alright.” Roman stepped forward and reached out a hand towards him but Aden backed away.

“Roman, will you…” Belle gestured down to Jackson and Roman pulled the little boy into his arms leaving Belle free to go to comfort Aden.

“I…..I’m gonna…” as Belle approached him Aden turned his back on her and rushed to the front of the car. Reaching a hand out to rest on the bonnet he leant over and was sick into the gutter, his shoulders heaving as Belle placed her hand onto his back and rubbed soothing circles onto it.

“It’s alright babe, it’s ok. I’m here.” she soothed as he coughed

“Here.” Nicole handed Belle a bottle of water which she had grabbed out of the car.

“Thanks Nic.” She handed the bottle of water to Aden.

He took it from her with barely a glance in her direction.

Tears freely streaming down her cheeks Belle turned to look at Roman.

“Roman, would you take the kids home for us?”

“Of course I will. Are you sure you’re going to be alright here though?”

He looked to Aden who had walked away from the car and was now leaning heavily against one of the trees that surrounded the car park, his back to them.

“Yeah, we’ll be ok” she nodded trying to convince herself as much as him. She stepped forward and took Jackson’s face in her hands “You’ll be ok with granddad and Nic for a bit right baby?”

The little boy nodded as he used her thumbs to catch the tears making their way down his cheeks.

“It’s alright baby, I promise.” She tenderly kissed each of his cheeks before looking up to Roman.

“We’ve got it Belle, don’t worry.” He reassured her. “Look, I think I’m gonna have to….” he nodded towards Nicole and Belle knew instantly what he meant.

“Yeah.” she sighed as the realisation hit her that Aden’s secret was now going to have to become public knowledge. “Yeah, you’ll have to tell her.”

“We’ll have to tell the school…and probably Charlie and Angelo too” Roman added “But we’ll talk about this all later.”

“Thanks Roman” she reached out and squeezed his arm before turning around and flashing Nicole a weak smile. “Thanks.”

She walked over to Aden and holding her breath reached out a hand to rest on his shoulder. Her heart broke when he turned to look at her and she saw the pain in his eyes. The breath she had held left her body in a gasp as he visibly crumbled beneath her touch, his head lowering to bury itself in her neck as her arms wrapped around his shoulders and held him as tightly as she could.

Thanks guys :D lovely comments are very much appreciated!

Now, i've had major dental issues this week so i'm kind of living on painkillers at the mo so if this chap sucks blame the (prescription) drugs :lol:

Chapter 4

Belle could feel Aden’s heart beating at an alarming rate as she held him close to her body. She whispered words of comfort into his ear as he cried onto her shoulder. After a few minutes she noticed a few people making their way out of the school building, each of them staring in their direction as they exited.

“Babe.” she whispered, pulling away from him the slightest amount. “Lets move yeah, go somewhere we can talk?”

He nodded his head the slightest amount and pulled away from her fully, raising one of his hands to wipe at his face. Belle grabbed onto his other one and led him away from the school in the direction of the beach.

They walked in silence to the beach and continued along it in the same manner until Belle realised they had reached a part of the beach which was deserted, the two of them being the only people visible.

“Let’s sit.” she told him coming to a stop, pulling her hand out of his and easing herself gently onto the sand. Aden remained as he was, standing up and staring out to sea. “Aden.” tentatively Belle reached out a hand and took hold of his again, tugging on it gently to encourage him to join her.

With a sigh he complied, dropping down onto the ground next to her, his hand still enclosed in hers.

“I…” he tried to talk but even to his own ears his voice was barely more than a whisper. He cleared his throat as Belle squeezed his hand reassuringly.

“It’s alright babe, whenever you are ready ok.” she brought her other hand to hold onto his and then wrapped the closest arm to him around his waist, pulling him even closer to her side before trailing her hand up his back until her fingers were combing unconsciously through the hair at the nape of his neck.

“I…It‘s…..I don’t know where to start Belle.”

“That’s ok.” she soothed. “Take your time. I’m not going anywhere sweetheart.” she leant over pressing a gentle kiss onto the side of his head.

It seemed to give Aden the courage he needed to start talking.

“You know the other night, when Jax told us about…about….” he trailed off, finding it more difficult than he had anticipated.

“Yeah, I know.” Belle answered, knowing he was referring to the conversation that had upset him about the old man telling Jackson to call him pops.

“It….it never occurred to me that it was him you know? That never entered my head! I was just……freaked I guess, by the….well just by the name! If I had thought for just a second Belle that it could have been him there would be no way I’d have let Ja…”

“Hey, hey!” Belle cut him off sensing he was becoming upset again and knowing where he was heading. “Aden, I know you would never put Jackson in harms way. Never! You couldn’t have known it was him.”

“Just seeing him makes me feel like a different person Belle, like the old Aden and…..and I don’t want to be him again, it hurts too much bu…..”

“You never have to go back there babe, I….”

“I know I don’t have to Belle. I know I have you now and you are what pulled me from….from that place all those years ago but now……god this is so hard to explain!”

He pulled his hand from her grip and raised both of his to his face, burying it in them for a moment as he took some steadying breaths.

“it’s…the…” he lowered his hands and once again took hold of hers needing to feel her somehow to give him the strength to continue. “…the idea of being that person again terrifies me….I can’t…I can’t put into words how much, but what scares me more…what makes me….god it makes me sick Belle…” tears began to stream down his cheeks once more as he battled to vocalise the thoughts that were eating away at his insides. “I don’t….I don’t want Jax to ever be that person.”

“Oh babe….” Belle used the hand on his neck to pull his head onto her shoulder as he once again succumbed to tears, sobs wracking his body as she held him close.

“I hated myself Belle…” He whispered. “I hated myself so much because of what he did to me!” His voice gained more strength as he went on and he pulled back from her again. “All I wont for my son….for both of our children is that….that they never have to feel that, that they are happy with who they are.”

“They are Aden. Felicity might be a bit young yet but Jax…..Jax is such a good person, he’s funny and thoughtful and kind and…and happy Aden. Anybody can see that.”

“But what if….what….” He struggled to voice the concern that had been plaguing him from the moment he saw his grandfather place his hands on Jackson’s shoulders. “What if it’s too late? What if he’s alrea….”

“No! Aden, no! That wont have happened!” Belle was insistent as she refused to allow his thoughts to develop any further. “He’s only been in the class a few days and he’s just a volunteer, they have rules about them not being allowed to be on their own with the children.”

“Are you….we don’t….we need to check though Belle because he’s….he’s..” his voice began to falter once more but he continued anyway “He’s really good at fooling people into believing he’s the good guy and he knows….god he knows what to say that would….that would make Jax…”

He couldn’t continue and Belle could see the look of utter horror on his face as he was unable to stop his mind from taking him back to the times when his granddad used to come into his room.

“Aden, baby it’s alright” she whispered to him “I’m here ok, you are safe and Jackson……Jackson is safe too! We’ll talk to him when we get home to make sure ok? But he’s safe right now I promise.”

“Why Belle, why is he back?”

“I don’t know Aden but you wont have to see him ok! We’ll make sure that he do…”

“No way! No…no we!….Please Belle promise me…..I don’t want him near you…promise me you wont try and talk to him or anything.”

“Aden I…..”

“No Belle, promise me, I can’t stand the thought that you’ve already been in the same room as him! Please!”

“Ok, ok I promise.” she paused for a moment letting him get himself back together again. “I think…we are going to have to……there are people we are going to have to tell now Aden.” she continued

“The school?” he replied instantly getting where she was coming from.

“Yeah, we need to definitely tell them, they need to stop him from going there. But I think…we should probably tell Charlie and Angelo too, they might….they can probably do something a bit more official about him not going back to the school.”

“ok” he sighed.

“And…..and Roman…he’s……”

“Telling Nicole.” Aden finished.

“Yeah.” Belle nodded. “I really think you can trust her though babe, she wont tell anyone else and she’ll be there if you need her to be.”

“I know.” he sighed again. “It’s just gonna be hard talking about it all again you know?”

“I do babe.” she replied “But I’ll be with you ok. Every second.”

After spending another half an hour or so on the beach, most of it in silence whilst Aden gathered his thoughts, the couple made their way back to their house. When they arrived Nicole was pacing the floor with felicity in her arms and Roman was sitting on the couch, Jackson and Eden either side of him, their attention focused on the DVD that was playing.

“Hey.” Nicole was the first to speak when she noticed them enter. “Good timing, she just nodded off.” she gestured to the baby in her arms. “Shall I put her up in her crib?” she asked

“Yeah that’d be great thanks.” Belle replied.

“Eden, why don’t you come and help me.” Nic suggested to her daughter.

“But mommy, we haven’t even sawed the good bit yet!” the little girl pouted.

“Come on princess.” Roman encouraged. “I’ll come too.”

Roman ruffled Jackson’s hair before standing up and picking up his granddaughter. He walked over to Aden and Belle and squeezed Aden’s arm encouragingly, relieved when he didn’t flinch away. “It’ll be fine son ok.” He reassured Aden who nodded in reply as Roman walked up the stairs leaving Belle, Aden and Jackson alone.

The young boy had remained seated on the couch but his attention was now focused on his parents rather than the TV.

Aden gulped as he took a step away from Belle and closer to his son. He feared that his earlier outburst had made Jackson scared of him, a thought that made him sick to his stomach.

“Hey buddy.” His voice was thick with emotion and Belle held her breath whilst she waited for Jackson to respond.

For a few moments nobody moved or spoke. The silence pulsed around them until Jackson made a sudden movement. He leapt from the couch and threw himself at Aden, wrapping his arms tightly around his waist.

Belle’s breath left her in a cry as Aden crouched down so he was at a similar height to Jackson and returned his embrace.

“I’m so sorry Jax” Aden whispered “I love you so much buddy”

“I love you too daddy.” Jackson replied pulling out of the hug so he could look at Aden. “I don’t like it when you are sad. I’m sorry if I ma…”

“Hey son, it wasn’t your fault ok. You never make me sad Jax.” Aden insisted “Let’s go and sit down eh? We need to have a talk.”

Belle followed as he led Jackson to the couch and the three of them all settled themselves comfortably with Jackson sitting next to Belle on the couch, her arm wrapped around his shoulder and Aden perched on the edge of the coffee table directly in front of them.

“Sweetie…” Belle started sensing Aden didn’t know where to begin. “….before we talk we need to ask you something ok……the man who was behind you at school today…”

“Pops?” Jackson asked as Belle saw Aden visibly wince

“Yeah, him.” She settled on replying at the moment. “Did he ever…..were you and he ever alone babes?”

“No.” Jackson replied simply and honestly “He was just in the class and helped with our reading. Do you know him? He…..he called you son dad.” He added seeming to only just remember the words the old man had spoken to Aden.

“Yeah.” Aden took a deep breath. “Yeah I know him. He….he’s my grandfather Jackson.”

“Your….I don’t understand.” the little boy looked to Belle and then back to Aden, confusion clear in his big brown eyes.

“You are really lucky son, you have granddad Roman who is a really great granddad and he loves you very much and would never hurt you but I wasn’t so lucky mate. My granddad wasn’t very nice at all and he….he did something that grownups should never do to children.”

“He hurt you daddy?”

Belle hadn’t failed to notice how Jackson was slipping back into using the word daddy and realised that he really was still very young and her heart broke that they were being forced into having this conversation with him so soon. She pulled him a little closer to her and tightened her hold on him.

“Yeah mate, he hurt me.” Aden replied simply, knowing that at this stage this was all Jackson needed to know.

“Did you stop being…….friends?” It took Jackson a while so settle on the final word.

“He er…..yeah…”Aden finally replied “I got a bit bigger and he….he couldn’t hurt me anymore so he moved away.”

“I’m glad.” Jackson replied. “But he’s back now…is that why you were sad? Are you scared because he might hurt you again? You are big now, he can’t hurt you!”

“That’s kind of the reason mate. I know he can’t hurt me anymore but sometimes…..things that hurt really badly can stay with you for a long time and even just remembering them hurts and makes you afraid.”

“Like when I was learning to ride my bike without the baby wheels and I fell off and then wouldn’t go back on for ages ‘cause I remembered how sore my arm was and was too scared.”

“Sort of like that yeah.” Aden reached out a hand and ran it lovingly over Jackson’s head and down his cheek. “I love you and your sister so much Jax. I never want anyone to hurt you like I was hurt so that’s why I got a bit scared today.”

“Jax, I know you said that you weren’t alone with….with pops..” Belle struggled to say the name but realised that she had to ,to make sure Jackson understood “But did he ever….”

“He didn’t hurt me mommy, honest. I didn’t even talk to him much really. I’m good with my reading and the old people were just helping the kids that aren’t good.”

“You’re sure…he never touched you?” Aden asked, needing to be certain.

Jackson shook his head and Belle noticed Aden’s shoulders visibly relax at the definite answer from their son and she too let out a sigh of relief.

“I’m sure.” Jackson replied “I don’t think I’ll call him pops now though.” he told them turning to Belle “Is that ok?”

“Yeah babes that’s ok. In fact, I don’t think he’ll be back at school anymore.”

“Good.” Jackson replied climbing down off the couch and wrapping his arms around Aden’s shoulders. “He hurt my daddy and I don’t like people who hurt my daddy!”

Am feeling much better thanks and thanks once again to everyone reading and commenting :D

Chapter 5

Following the talk with Jackson, Belle convinced Aden to call Charlie and she and Angelo came to the house. Roman and Nicole took the children to buy ice creams whilst Aden filled the police officers in on his history with his grandfather. They had been incredibly supportive but as it had occurred so many years before they thought that it would be unlikely that they would be able to bring charges against the old man. Aden had been disappointed but understood and was relieved that they had offered to speak to the school on his behalf. Once they had left Roman dropped Jackson back and the family spent a quiet evening at home, Jackson sticking like glue to Aden’s side.

After a restless night Aden was the first up the next morning, taking Felicity downstairs with him, giving her her first feed of the day whilst Belle went to wake Jackson ready for school.

“Hey sleepy head, wakey wakey. Time to get up.” she whispered to her son as she perched on the edge of his bed, brushing the hair from his face where it had fallen as he slept.

“I’m awake.” the little boy spoke although his eyes remained firmly closed.

“And how are we on the getting up?” Belle asked with a grin.

“I….I think I need to stay home today, I don’t feel very good?”

“Really babes?” she leant down and placed a kiss on his forehead, her lips lingering there for a moment longer than they usually would. “You don’t feel like you have a fever.”

“I have a sore tummy” he replied finally opening his eyes and staring directly into Belle’s.

Belle wasn’t entirely surprised that after the events of the day before Jackson didn’t want to go to school. She ran her hand gently down his cheek as she stared back into the eyes that so mirrored her own.

“Hmmm, how about we try some breakfast and see what daddy says.” she suggested

“Ok” Jackson sighed. He pushed the doona away from himself and reluctantly followed Belle out of the room and downstairs.

“Oh, now you’re in trouble missy!” Aden said to the baby in his arms as he heard Belle come down the stairs. “Here’s mommy and she’ll see that you haven’t had any of your bottle.”

“Wont she take it?” Belle asked, lifting the baby from his arms.

“Nope.” Aden replied waving the bottle in the air. “Morning buddy, you sleep well?” he added looking to Jackson who had just made it to the bottom of the stairs.

Jackson shrugged his shoulders as he walked closer to the dining table where Aden was sitting.

“Jax wants to stay at home today.” Belle answered for her son. “He doesn‘t feel well.”

“Yeah?” Aden replied a look of worry clouding his features. “Come here son.” he held his arms open and Jackson instantly went into them and perched on Aden‘s leg. Like Belle had previously, Aden pressed his lips to his sons forehead, letting them remain there for a moment whilst he tried to gauge his temperature. “You don’t feel hot buddy.” He looked up to Belle and they shared a knowing look. “I guess yesterday was a pretty big day for you right? I think a day at home with us would be good for you today mate.”

“Us? Don’t you have to go to work dad?”

“Nah, I’m taking a few days off” Aden replied glancing at Belle again who was obviously surprised by this news. “I’ve just called Gina” he explained referring to the head teacher at the high school where he worked “She said I could take a few days.”

“you told her…..” Belle trailed off but Aden understood easily enough what she meant.

“Yeah, briefly. I told her I’d fill her in in more detail when I saw her.”

“Ok babe. It’ll be good to have our boys at home wont it Fliss?” she grinned as she sat down at the table, settling Felicity to feed from her. “And we haven’t had daddy’s pancakes for ages have we Jax.” she added with a wink to her son.

“Not for ages and ages.” the little boy replied looking up to Aden with a huge grin on his face.

“Errr, I thought you weren’t well!” he asked Jackson, ruffling his hair.

“I…..erm…..”

“I’m kidding buddy! Pancakes all round then yeah? You gonna come and help?”

“Can I put chocolate chips in mine?” Jackson looked to Belle for the answer knowing she was the one he needed to convince as Aden was somewhat of a pushover when it came to eating treats.

“Hmmmm” Belle pretended to think about it for a moment “If you have a banana with them.” she said picking the desired piece of fruit from the bowl on the table.

“Deal!” Jackson replied, taking the fruit out of her hand and heading for the kitchen.

“Hey.” Belle called to Aden as he followed their son into the other room.

“What’s up babe?” Aden asked taking a few steps backwards so he could see her.

“Have you remembered it’s Thursday today and that means….”

“Nic and Geoff will be round for dinner. “ He said cutting her off. “Yeah, I remember”

Ever since Nicole and Geoff had moved in together when Nicole was pregnant with Eden the two couples had dinner together on a Thursday night, alternating between houses.

“You wanna cancel?” Belle asked, reaching out to take hold of his hand. “I’m sure they would understand.”

“Nah, it’s good.” Aden replied. “I have to see them sometime right? Might as well get it over and done with.”

“Ok babe, as long as you’re sure.” Belle squeezed his hand before letting it drop.

“Yeah, I am. I’m guessing now she’s pregnant Nic is gonna need something chocolate for dessert right?”

“If her pregnancy is the same as with Eden then yeah, I reckon so.” Belle laughed

“I’ll call in at the diner later then and pick up a cake or something yeah?”

“Good idea.” Belle answered with a smile as he headed into the kitchen to prepare their breakfast.

Irene and Roman were both busy in the kitchen of the diner. It was a busy afternoon and neither of them had ventured out of the kitchen much. Colleen had been busy running back and forth with orders along with Leah.

“Oh my goodness me, you are not going to believe what Madge….”

“Colleen!” Irene cut the older woman off “We are rushed off our feet here, we don’t have time for your idle gossip!”

“But this isn’t idle gossip Irene!” Colleen fired back. “This….this is something which we all need to know about. Especially you two…..why you have young ones at that school….oh god bless them, it’s so terrible.”

Irene sighed and looked to Roman who was busy chopping vegetables, seemingly oblivious to the conversation behind him. “What on earth are you on about now?”

“The school has one of those paedophiliacs!”

“A wha…a paed….you mean a paedophile?”

The knife Roman was using clattered onto the counter as it slipped from his grip upon hearing Colleens revelation.

“Colleen, what have you heard…..exactly” He asked.

“Well, Madge has a friend whose granddaughter goes to the school and she was at the assembly yesterday and apparently one of the parents dragged their child out shouting at this old man to keep his hands off his son and then today Charlie and Angelo were at the school and…..”

“Roman..” Irene interrupted “…you were there yesterday watching Jax, is this true?”

“Well…..I….”

Roman was saved from having to answer when Leah entered the kitchen looking a little shocked.

“Everything alright hun?” he asked her.

“Yeah….Irene, do you remember Aden’s grandfather? I’m sure he’s just walked in.”

Before Irene could reply Roman sped out of the kitchen leaving the three women behind.

“Get out!” He exclaimed as soon as he had crossed the threshold into the main part of the diner and laid eyes upon the man he recognised from the day before.

“Roman!” Irene and Leah both exclaimed at the same time as they followed him out of the kitchen.

“I said get out!” Roman repeated stepping closer to the old man.

“look, I don’t know you..” the old man began “..but I saw you yesterday with Aden, the two of you are obviously very close and….”

“Yes we are close.” Roman replied. “I took him in when he was just a kid, a scared angry kid. I’ve watched him battle through the hurt you caused him and grow into a good, strong man and I’ll be dammed if I’ll let you come back here and ruin that.”

“I don’t want to cause any trouble.” The old man implored

“Then you should le….” Roman trailed off when he caught site of the person who had just entered the café.

As he walked into the diner Aden’s attention was focused entirely on the baby girl nestled into the car seat that was hooked over his arm so he was oblivious to the scene that was going on.

“Aden, mate.”

Looking up only when he heard his name called Aden froze on the spot when he took in who was standing in front of Roman.

“I…..”

“It’s alright mate.” Roman soothed as he walked over towards him “He’s just leaving.”

“Would somebody care to fill me in on what’s going on here.” Irene exclaimed, looking back and forth between the three men.

“Aden, we should talk.” his grandfather said stepping closer. “It’s been a long time an…”

“Stay away from me!” Aden growled “Stay away from me, stay away from my wife, stay away from my children!”

“Children?” the older man asked “This one is yours too?” he reached out a tentative hand towards Felicity, snug in her seat.

Aden grabbed his hand before it was close to making contact.

“Don’t you dare touch her! I swear to god I’ll kill you if you ever touch either of my children!”

“Aden!” Irene cried “Let him go! He’s your grandfather for heavens sake. Whatever’s happened in the past you should still show him a bit of respect!”

“Respect!” Aden scoffed dropping his hold on the old mans wrist. “Respect! Like the kind of respect he used to show me you mean? You know, when I was a kid and he used to come into my room and….”

“Mate, don’t!” Roman stopped him. “Not like this yeah. We’ll explain to Irene in private ok.” he reached out and took hold of Aden’s arm, startled when he could feel the younger man shaking beneath his fingers. “I think you should leave…..now!” he added to the old man who, after Aden’s outburst, was, unsurprisingly keen to leave and hurried quickly out of the diner.

Irene stood, hands raised over her mouth in shock as snippets of the earlier conversation with Colleen and memories from years before all slotted into place with what she had just heard Aden reveal.

“Why don’t you guys go through to the kitchen.” Leah suggested gently “Colleen, you get back to taking orders please.” She gave a stern look to Colleen which left no room for arguments. “Aden, I’ll watch Felicity.” she tugged the car seat from his grasp. “It’s ok, you’ll just be in the kitchen, I wont let anyone near her I promise.” she reassured, sensing his reluctance.

“Thanks Leah.” He whispered. He leant down and dropped a gentle kiss onto his daughters forehead before following Irene into the kitchen, Roman trailing behind.

“Finally! You’ve been gone ages babe, where have you been?”

Belle had her back to the door when Aden arrived home so she couldn’t see the look on his face. It was only when he failed to reply that she turned around and gasped as she saw him.

“Aden! What is it? What’s happened?” she cried as she rushed over to him.

The pain and upset was clear in his eyes. She lifted the car seat from his hands and quickly hurried with it into the lounge.

“Jax, keep an eye on your sister for me.” she told him, placing the seat on the floor next to him before hurrying back to Aden. “Babe, come here.” she murmured wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him close to her. “are you alright?”

Aden clung to her for a moment, burying his face into her neck as he pulled himself together.

“I’m ok.” He whispered “I’m ok now.”

“Alright.” Belle said pulling back slightly so she could look at him but leaving her arms snaked firmly around his neck. “What happened?”

“He was in the diner when I got there.” Aden answered simply.

“He? Your grandfather?”

“Yeah.” Aden replied with a sigh “Roman was telling him to leave when I walked in and then I kind of lost it and had a go at him.”

“What do you mean?” Belle asked a hint of worry evident in her voice.

“He went to touch Fliss and I couldn’t bare that so I grabbed him and told him that I’d kill him if he touched my kids. I would Belle, I mean it!”

His hands were resting on Belle’s hips and she felt them clench in anger.

“I know.” she replied sadly. “What happened then?” she added knowing there was more to the story.

Aden spent the next few minutes filling Belle in on what else had happened at the diner, culminating in him telling Irene about his past.

“….She was really great Belle.” he finished

“Irene always is.” Belle told him with a small smile.

“Yeah, she is.” He agreed. “Anyway, it’s all over with now and I’m alright so let’s get on with dinner yeah? They’ll be here soon right?”

“Aden, you don’t have to keep….I don’t know….pushing this away. Nic and Geoff wont mind if we cancel.”

“I’m not Belle, honestly. Yeah, it as hard seeing him and telling Irene but I’m alright now.”

“Really?”

“Yes really! I promise. It’ll be good to see them, and we can’t have this cake going to waste now can we.” he gestured to the cake box he had placed on the counter.

“As long as you’re sure?”

“I’m positive!” Aden insisted “Now what needs doing?”

Once the dinner was prepared Aden and Belle sat in the lounge with Jackson, Aden playing on the games console with him whilst Belle lay on the floor next to Felicity who was underneath her play gym. They were there when Geoff, Nicole and Eden arrived.

“Hello.” Geoff called as the family strolled through the kitchen.

“In here.” Belle replied pushing herself up so she was sitting upright when they came into the lounge. “Hey guys.”

“Hey.” Nicole greeted them all with a smile as her daughter let go of her hand and raced across the room.

“Uncle Ade!” the little girl flung herself into her uncles arms with such force that he struggled to not topple over.

“Hey beautiful! Watch it!” he laughed

She had a lolly clutched in her hand and almost hit him in the face with it.

“This is for you!” she exclaimed handing the lolly to him.

“Wow thanks missy. What did I do to deserve this?” he asked.

“You were sad uncle Ade and when I’m sad daddy gives me lollies and they make me better so this is to make you better.” Eden explained.

“Thanks sweetheart, it’s worked already.” he grinned.

“You feel better already?” she replied in surprise.

“Yep, but you know what, I think it was the cuddle more than the lolly!” Aden told her, squeezing her tighter again.

“Actually Aden, you might not wanna actually eat that.” Geoff said as he came to sit down. “She been holding onto it since yesterday, it went to bed with her and everything.”

“Oh, right, well I think I’ll just keep it somewhere special.” Aden replied with a chuckle. “So who’s for drinks?” he asked lifting Eden from his lap and placing her next to Jackson on the couch as he stood up.

Belle, Geoff and both of the children all replied with enthusiastic “me’s!”

“I’ll come help.” Nicole said following Aden into the kitchen. “So?” She asked leaning against the counter as Aden busied himself taking glasses from the cupboard.

“So!” He replied turning to her.

“Ok, well I’m not gonna get into a big old conversation with you about everything that’s going on because I know you and I know you wont want that.”

Aden nodded in agreement

“I just want to say one thing though.” she said

“ok, shoot.” Aden replied

“I just want to say that I’m very proud of you and that I love you!”

“That’s two things Nic! I know numbers really aren’t…..”

“Shut up!” she interrupted “I’m trying to be a good supportive sister here!”

“Sorry.” He chuckled. “And thanks, you are. Just having you guys around helps.”

“Really, because you know if you do want to talk Aden, I’m here.” she reached out to rub his arm

“That’s three things now.” He grinned “But yeah I know and I really appreciate it.”

“Well I’m glad you know.” she smiled “Now give me a hug because I know Eden is good but I think you need one from me to really, really feel better!”

“If you insist!” Aden said pulling her into his arms.

“What’s going on here?” Belle exclaimed when she walked into the kitchen. “Should I be worried?”

“Yeah babe” Aden laughed as he pulled away from Nicole “Because I’d leave a woman who’s just got over the pregnancy related hormonal rages and run straight into the arms of one who’s just starting them!”

“Hey!” Both women cried at the same time as he chuckled and dodged away from the punch Nicole was trying to throw.

“Nice way to prove my point princess.” Aden laughed.

Hearing the laughter Geoff strolled into the kitchen and joined in with the banter.

The rest of the evening passed in the same light hearted manner and as she waved Nicole and Geoff off at the end of the night, a sleeping Eden resting against Geoff’s shoulder, Belle was glad that they hadn’t cancelled as Aden seemed to have enjoyed the evening and it had been a chance for him to forget about his worries for a few hours. She just hoped that the good feelings would last with him throughout the night.

I had a few issues with this chap so thanks goes to Laura for her help and for putting my mind at ease!! Thanks also to you all once again for such nice comments :D

Chapter 6

For the second night in a row Belle was awoken in the early hours by Aden sitting quickly upright in bed, gasping for breath. She quickly sat up and gently rested her hand on his shoulder. She left it there for a moment before shuffling closer to him and sliding her hand down his back and around his waist.

“Babe, it’s alright.” she whispered into his ear. “I’m here.”

She felt him lean back slightly, relaxing into her embrace.

“I’m here baby.” she murmured again.

“I’m…..I’m ok.” he replied after taking a deep breath. I’ll just go get a drink.”

He slid out of the bed and was through the bedroom door before Belle could even think about responding. She let out a deep sigh before flopping back down onto her pillow. Her head had barely made contact with it when a whimpering emerged from the crib at the bottom of the bed. She cursed under her breath as she sat up again flicking on the lamp before crawling to the end of the bed. Looking into the crib she saw that Felicity was wide awake and knew that just giving her back the soother she had spat out would not lull her back to sleep.

“Shhh angel, mommy’s here now.” she whispered to the baby as she manoeuvred herself into position so she could reach down and pick her up. “Did we wake you up huh? I’m sorry baby girl.” She cradled the little girl as she moved back up the bed to lean against the headboard. “You want some milk? Shall we give it a try?” She lowered her top and within moments Felicity was feeding hungrily from her. “You’re a good girl aren’t you Flissy.” She whispered before lapsing into silence. She lifted Felicity’s hand from where it was resting on her chest and gently pushed her thumb into the little girls grasp, the rest of her hand stroking the tiny arm. So entranced by her daughter she failed to notice Aden return. He leant against the doorframe just watching them in silence for a few minutes until she finally noticed him.

“Hey, why are you just standing there?” She asked as he pushed himself off the frame and strolled back over to the bed.

“Because….” he started, climbing in next to her and dropping a kiss onto her shoulder “…. I like looking at you. You never look more beautiful to me than you do when you are feeding our children.”

“Your daddy is such a smooth talker Fliss.” She grinned, looking at him out of the corner of her eye.

He leant forward and pressed a gentle kiss to her lips.

“Just speaking the truth.” he replied once he’d pulled away.

“Yeah?” she answered back, eyebrows raised in question.

“Belle!” He let out a deep sigh knowing full well what she was hinting at.

“Aden, this is the second night you’ve woken up like this and you hardly slept the few nights before that. I know you said you didn’t want to talk about your dreams because you wanted to forget but I think we both know that that’s not going to happen now.”

“Not now he’s hanging around town! God Belle, I seriously thought all that was over. I never thought I’d feel like this again.”

“Like what babe?” She asked gently.

He was silent for a moment before answering.

“Scared.” He whispered “I’m scared Belle.”

“Ad…..come here baby.” she let go of Felicity’s hand and reached out for his lacing their fingers together and encouraging him to move as close to her as possible. “You know you are safe here babe, he can’t hurt you anymore.”

“He can Belle, he can because he’s back in here.” He raised his free hand and tapped the side of his head with his finger. “And….I’m scared…..I’m so angry and I’m scared that I’m gonna do something I’ll regret.”

“We wont let that happen.” She reassured him “Is that what the dreams are about? About you doing something?”

He shook his head slowly, closing his eyes and leaning his head back against the headboard.

“Nah, the dreams…..I…..I’m in my old room and I hear him come in……I can feel…..I’m scared, really scared and I can sense him getting closer to me…..”

Belle squeezed his hand as his voice caught in his throat. “It’s alright babe.” she whispered as her own tears spilled over and down her cheeks.

“I…..it’s kinda like I leave my body then and I’m walking away from the bed and when I turn around I see him and before that‘s when I was waking up but now…….. I look down to the bed and……and…”

He trailed off as sobs overwhelmed him.

“Aden, it’s alright!” Belle moved Felicity away from her and after rearranging her top hurriedly crawled down the bed and placed the baby girl back into her crib. Scrambling back up towards him Belle pulled Aden into her arms. “Shhh, it’s alright, it’s alright.” she soothed, her own tears falling onto his shoulder as she held him.

“Belle, when I look it’s……it’s not me in the bed….it….it’s Jax.”

He chocked out the last few words before he succumbed once again to wracking sobs.

“Oh god!” Belle cried pulling him even closer to her, tightening her hold on him. She was overcome with a wave of nausea as the images that had haunted her husband for the past few nights made their way into her head. She shook her head to clear the vile thoughts and focused her attention back on helping Aden. “Aden, it’s….it’s just a dream.” She tried to sooth him but seeing him in such a state made her just as upset and she didn’t know what she could say to help him. “It’s alright baby, he’s safe ok. You are both safe.”

Aden spent the next few minutes stemming the flow of tears and getting his breathing back into a regular pattern. He eventually pulled his face out of Belle’s neck and looked at her.

“God, I made you cry! I’m sor….”

“Don’t you dare say sorry!” Belle insisted as she moved her hands from around his neck and used her fingertips to gently wipe the tears from his cheeks. “You have nothing to be sorry for” she whispered.

“I hate feeling like this Belle.” He murmured as he copied her actions and wiped the tears from her face. “I hate it so much but I don’t know what to do. I can’t fight it anymore!”

“You don’t have to fight it sweetheart.” Belle reassured him. They were sitting opposite each other and she reached out to take hold of his hands, entwining their fingers. “You know I’m always here to help you but…..when we first got together you saw that councillor and it really helped right?”

“Well yeah but…”

“Aden, babe, I don’t know what to say to help you. I can be here for you and I can hold you, I will hold you, but I think somebody professional will be able to help you more. You can‘t go on like this.”

“I know.” He replied wearily. “I just wanna get back to what it was like before I went away.”

“We will. Belle assured him. “We’ll find somebody for you to talk to and they’ll help you and things will be back to normal before you know it. Better even.” She added squeezing his hands.

“Hey!” he looked up at her, a ghost of a smile on his lips. “It couldn’t get better. What we have is so perfect Belle. I love you more every day we are together, we have the two most beautiful children, our family are pretty great. I just need to deal with all this mess and we’ll be good.”

“so you’ll see someone?” she asked.

“Yeah, I guess I need to. I’ll call Rach tomo….later” he corrected as his eyes flicked to the clock on the nightstand and saw it was already after three am. “Right, I guess we better get back to sleep huh?”

“Yeah, probably. Will you be alright?”

“I hope so.” he replied pulling on her hand to encourage her back to her place in the bed. “Is Fliss asleep?”

“She wasn’t when I put her down.” Belle replied watching as Aden shuffled down the bed towards their daughters crib. Her heart skipped a beat when she saw his face light up as he gazed down at their little girl.

“Hello princess, are we keeping you up?” he reached into the crib and picked the baby up peppering her face with kisses as he brought her close to his body. “How about a cuddle with daddy huh?” he moved back up the bed and spent a few moments getting comfortable with Felicity lying against his chest.

“You spoil her.” Belle grinned as she rested her head on his shoulder as his free arm wrapped around her.

“She’s my baby girl, it’s my job to spoil her.” Aden replied twisting his head slightly to drop a kiss into Belle’s hair. “Now c’mon, time for sleep.”

“O.k. I love you babe.” she lifted her head and pressed a quick kiss to his lips.

“I love you too. Sweet dreams sweetheart.” He whispered as she settled herself comfortably, her head resting once again on his shoulder and her hand gently stroking their daughters back.

Felicity was asleep within minutes and Belle followed shortly after. Aden remained awake watching his two girls sleep peacefully. Once he was certain they were both soundly asleep he slowly moved away from Belle her head dropping from his shoulder and onto the pillow. She muttered something at the disturbance but to his relief didn’t wake up. He slid out of the bed and carried Felicity and placed her into her crib after tenderly pressing kisses onto her forehead.

“Dream sweet dreams baby girl” he whispered running a finger lovingly down her face before making his way quietly out of the room and along the hallway.

He stopped when he reached the door of his son’s room. He pushed it open gently until he could peer into the room. There was just enough light coming in from the streetlamps outside for him to make of the form of Jackson sprawled across his bed, his doona lying on the floor next to it. Aden was unable to keep the smile from his lips as he made his way over to the bed and picked the quilt up off the floor. He lay it gently back over the sleeping boy as he perched himself onto the edge of the bed. He gazed at him for a while then reached out a tentative hand to brush the hair back off his forehead.

“Dad?” Jackson mumbled his eyes opening the tiniest amount

“Yeah it’s me buddy, go back to sleep.” Aden leant forward and pressed a kiss to Jackson’s forehead.

“What’s going on?” Jackson asked sleepily rubbing at his eyes.

“Nothing mate, I was just checking and putting your doona back on. Come on, shut your eyes and go back to sleep.”

“Stay with me?” Jackson closed his eyes as he asked pulling the doona closer to his chin as he shuffled over in the bed to make room for Aden.

“Ok.” Aden’s grin widened as he swung his legs up onto the bed and lay down next to his son.

It was silent for a few minutes and Aden presumed Jackson had fallen back to sleep so was startled slightly when he spoke.

“I love you dad.” He whispered as he cuddled up closer to Aden.

“I love you too Jax, so so much.” Aden replied wrapping an arm around his son’s small frame and pulling him closer.

Belle had been surprised the next morning when she awoke to find the bed next to her empty. She lifted a crying Felicity from her crib and after giving her her soother to temporarily settle her she carried her along the corridor to Jackson’s room.

A broad smile lit up Belle’s face when she took in the sight before her. Jackson fast asleep with Aden next to him an arm slung over his son’s small frame as snores emitted from his partially open mouth.

“Let’s leave our boys to sleep.” she whispered to the baby in her arms as she quietly backed out of the room and made her way downstairs.

She fed Felicity and then pottered around in the kitchen preparing what she could for their breakfast. It was almost an hour later when she heard footsteps padding down the stairs and then Aden’s voice wishing their daughter a good morning. She walked towards the lounge and leant against the door frame.

“Morning.” she greeted him “I missed you.”

“Sorry babe, I went to check on Jax and he woke up and wanted me to stay.” He explained.

“That’s ok.” She replied pushing off the frame and walking over to him. She snaked her arms around his neck and he wrapped his around her waist. “How did you sleep in there?” She asked gently.

“Sleep? Have you forgotten what it’s like sharing a bed with kicky.” he grinned

“Well you were snoring when I poked my head around the door!” She replied

“That’s probably the only ten minutes I got. Although I guess at least it meant there was no time for dreams which can’t be a bad thing right!”

“Aden! You can’t not sleep! We need to fix this properly.”

“I will babe, I’m gonna call Rach later and ask her to sort out some counselling for me.”

“Good.” Belle stretched up and placed a kiss on his lips which he responded to instantly. He pulled her tighter to him and deepened the kiss moving his hands from around her waist, up her sides and eventually tangling them in her hair.

“Gross!” Jackson cried as he descended the stairs to find them locked in the embrace.

They were both laughing as they pulled apart.

“Sorry babes.” Belle giggled. “You sleep well?” She asked taking one arm from around Aden’s neck and holding it out towards Jackson who walked over to them and allowed her to pull him into their cuddle.

“Dad woke me up!” Jackson replied

“Sorry buddy.” Aden ruffled his hair. “You went back to sleep quick enough though, I’ve got the bruises to prove it!”

“Bruises?” Jackson asked looking at him with confusion.

“Yeah, I forgot you practice your footie skills in your sleep!”

“Oops! Sorry.” Jackson chuckled. “I didn’t mean it.”

“I know mate.” Aden grinned. “But hows about we head over to the field later for some proper practice?”

“Yeah? Can Harry come too?”

“We can ask.” Aden replied “I’ve gotta call Rach in a bit so I’ll ask then.”

“Well that sounds like a plan.” Belle grinned “You’ll need some brekkie first so let’s get to it eh.”

She pulled away from them and made her way into the kitchen and finished of preparing their breakfasts.

They were all eating twenty minutes later when the phone rang. Belle jumped up and answered it.

“Hello…..Hey Nic….”

She wandered into the kitchen and Aden frowned as he heard her end of the conversation. A few minutes later she came back in and sat back down at the table.

“What’s going on?” Aden asked.

“Huh? Nothing why?” Belle replied nonchalantly

“So what did Nic want then?

“Nothing much…..just a chat.”

“Belle, you suck at lying!”

“Ok, she was calling to see if we were still going out to the movies tonight but I…”

“Why? Why don’t you wanna go?” Aden cut her off knowing what she was going to say.”

“I…..I don’t want to leave you alone.” Belle replied honestly with a sigh.

“Babe! I’ll be fine. You should go out.”

“Bu….”

“No buts!” Aden interrupted again. “Call Nic and tell her it’s back on. I don’t need babysitting.”

Belle opened her mouth to argue but closed it again. Picking up the phone she looked at him. “Are you sure?”

“Yes, you’ll look after me right Jax?”

Jackson chuckled as he nodded his head. “We can have a boys night dad.”

“And Flissy?” Belle asked with a grin.

“She’ll be asleep so she doesn’t count.” Jackson replied simply

“See!” Aden grinned at her. “All sorted. Now call Nic and tell her it’s back on.”

“Ok, ok!” Belle grinned dialling Nicole’s number.

“Can we have Pizza dad?” Jackson whispered as soon as her attention was focused on the phone call.

“We’ll see mate.” Aden chuckled. “Let’s get rid of her first!”

It seems to be taking me forever to write these chaps!! sorry for the delay in updating! Will try to do better next time :D Anyways, here it is, better late than never.....

Chapter 7

“Right, I’m all set.”

Belle exclaimed as she checked her bag to make sure she’d got everything she needed for her evening out.

“Are you sure Aden, I can….”

“Belle, I’ll be fine! You and Nic go and enjoy yourselves yeah.” Aden walked over to her as he spoke, stopping directly in front of her and wrapping his arms around her waist. “Just hurry back because I’ll miss you.” He added in a whisper directly into her ear, trailing a string of kisses along her jaw towards her lips.

“Babe, if this is your way of convincing me to go out…….”

Aden chuckled as he pressed a kiss to her lips. “Not working?”

“Oh, it’s working alright!” Belle grinned “Just not to make me wanna go out!”

“Sorry!” He laughed. “You better go otherwise you’ll miss the start of the movie.” he placed a final lingering kiss onto her lips before pulling away.

“Ok. Now where are my babies I need goodbye kisses! Jax, I’m going babes.” Belle called up the stairs as she made her way from the kitchen, into the lounge and over to the Moses basket where Felicity was sleeping. Holding her hair back so it wouldn’t tickle and wake the sleeping baby she leant forward and placed a gentle kiss onto the little girls forehead. “Mommy loves you sweetpea, I’ll be back soon.” she whispered before standing back up straight and turning to Aden. “I don’t think I’ll be back in time for her next feed so there are some bottles in the fridge.”

“Ok.” Aden nodded.

“Jax, come on, I’m going right now.” She shouted again.

Jackson appeared around the top of the stairs and bounded down them.

“I’m coming, I’m coming!”

He walked directly into Belle’s outstretched arms which she folded around him as soon as she could.

“You gonna miss me baby boy?”

“Mom! I’m not a baby!” Jackson growled as she giggled

“Sorry babes, I forgot.” She grinned. “So you gonna look after your dad for me?”

“Yeah, I’ll try.” Jackson laughed.

“Good boy.” Belle tilted her head and dropped a kiss onto the top of Jackson’s “You’ll be in bed when I get back so I’ll say night night now. Love you Jax.”

“I love you too mommy. Have fun with aunt Nic.”

“I will babes, bye.” She gave him another kiss before releasing him. He moved over to sit on the couch and she approached Aden again. “See you later babe, you’ll wait up right?”

“Of course.” He grinned pressing a kiss to her lips. “See you later gorgeous.”

“I love you.”

“Love you too. Now get outta here!” He laughed. He followed her through the kitchen and gave her a final kiss as she made her way out of the door. “So mate….” he began as he made his way back to join Jackson in the lounge. “….Mom’s gone, Fliss is asleep, Pizza’s on the way, time for footie highlights I reckon!”

“Yeah!” Jackson grinned picking up the TV remote control and flicking to the correct channel. “I love boys night!”

“Me too buddy.” Aden agreed flopping down onto the couch and flinging an arm lazily along the back behind Jackson who relaxed back into him.

They remained in much the same position for the next couple of hours, Aden only moving to answer the door to the pizza delivery person and then to get them some drinks. It was nearing ten pm when he noticed Jackson’s head start to droop.

“Jax.” He spoke quietly dropping his arm from the back of the couch and wrapping it around the little boys shoulders. “Come on buddy.”

“Huh? Wha….!” Jackson’s head snapped up.

“Time for bed I think.” Aden grinned.

“But I’m no….” Jackson tried to protest but a yawn prevented him from going any further.

“Not tired?” Aden laughed “Yeah, you look not tired! Come on, I’ll carry you up.”

“I’ll say night to Fliss first.” Jackson replied sliding slowly off the couch and making his way over to the basket. “Hey Felicity.” He reached in and took hold of his sisters hand.

“Is she awake?” Aden asked, surprised that she hadn’t cried out.

“Yup.” Jackson replied. “I’m going to bed now missy Flissy…..”

Aden felt a rush of pride overwhelm him as he watched the exchange between his children. He beamed with joy as Jackson leant down and pressed a sweet kiss to Felicity’s cheek and whispered that he loved her.

“Come on buddy, lets get you tucked in before she starts crying for a feed.” He turned around and crouched down so Jackson could climb easily onto his back. “Wow! What do you weigh now mate?” He groaned as he stood up. “No more pizza for you Jax!”

They laughed, teasing each other as Aden climbed the stairs. Ten minutes later after tucking Jackson in and saying goodnight Aden was back in the lounge lifting a whimpering Felicity from her Moses basket.

“It’s alright angel, daddy didn’t forget you .” He murmured as he carried her into the kitchen. “Are you ready for your milk now?” He kept up an endless stream of chatter to his daughter as he switched on the kettle and took her bottle from the fridge placing it into a jug ready for the hot water to heat it up. He carried her back into the lounge and opened the basket that they had in there full of Felicity’s things. “Where’s mommy put all your muslins baby girl? There’s none in here. I’m gonna have to put you down for just a tic sweetheart whilst I look for one.” He nuzzled her cheeks briefly before placing her down onto her matt on the floor. “Don’t go anywhere, Daddy will be right back.” He made his way back through the kitchen filling the jug with the now boiled water then went into the small laundry room that was attached. Just as he pulled the desired muslin square out of the drier a knock reverberated throughout the house. Muttering to himself about who could be calling so late he threw the muslin over his shoulder then quickly walked over to the door and pulled it open, shock freezing him to the spot when he saw who was on the other side.

“How the hell did you find out where I live?”

“Dad, Felicity is crying.”

Jackson walked into the kitchen to find Aden leaning against the counter his head buried in his hands.

“Huh?” Aden replied looking up

“Fliss is crying.” Jackson repeated “Who was shouting?” His big brown eyes travelled around the kitchen fully expecting to land on somebody other than his father. “I heard shouting.”

“That….it was just the TV.” Aden answered quickly shaking his head to try and compose himself. “I thought you…..weren’t….how come you are up?”

“Fliss……She’s crying and crying, it woke me up.”

“God! She… she needs her bottle.” Remembering what he had been doing in the kitchen in the first place he pulled the bottle out of the jug cursing quietly when he realised it had been in there too long and was now too hot.

“Jax, will you go talk to her and settle her whilst I cool this down. Thanks buddy.”

He turned to the sink and ran the cold tap holding the bottle directly underneath the stream of water shaking it every now and then. His mind was whirring as snippets of what had just taken place flew through his head. He drifted away for a moment until the sound of his daughters cries came through from the other room. Moving the bottle from the water he pulled of the lid and shook a small amount of the milk onto his wrist. Satisfied that it was now at an ok temperature for the baby girl he turned off the tap and headed back into the lounge.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry angel, it’s here now.” he soothed as he walked across the room. “Thanks mate.” He added to Jackson who was crouched on the floor right next to his baby sister trying to sooth her. “Come on.” He lifted her up into his arms and peppered her face with kisses as he carried her to the couch but it did nothing to alleviate her tears. They only stopped when he placed the bottle into her mouth. “Good girl, that’s better isn’t it.” He whispered. He manoeuvred himself and Felicity so that he could just about hold her and the bottle with one arm and held the other one open for Jackson who immediately took hold of the bottle for him making the task much easier. “Team work eh.” he managed a grin as he leant over and pressed a kiss to the top of his son’s head. “I love you both so much.”

“Nic! You can’t possibly eat all of those yourself!” Belle exclaimed as she walked over to Nicole who was standing at the movie theatre concession stand, a huge pile of various sweet treats on the counter in front of her.

“Errr I am eating for two.”

“Yeah two, not two hundred!” Belle grinned sifting through the pile to see what her sister in law had chosen. “And besides that whole eating for two thing is a myth Nic, you should be eating healthily.”

“Not you too!” Nicole groaned. “Geoff has been on my case and dad! I am eating healthily.” As she said the word she raised her hands and made quotation marks with her fingers.

“It looks like it!”

“Some of these are for Eden. She was grumpy when I left the house so I promised her I’d bring something back.” Nicole turned away from Belle to hand the money to the cashier behind the counter.

“Yeah, ok. I believe you!” Belle replied helping to pick up the various packets and dropping them into Nicole’s bag that she held open ready.

Once everything was put into the bag Belle collected and paid for a small carton of popcorn and the two of them made their way into the correct screen for the film they had finally settled on seeing. As they were surprisingly early there were only a few other people already seated so they had their pick of the seats. They debated for a smile while where to sit but eventually decided and got themselves comfortable.

“So, how’s Aden doing?” Nicole asked as she ripped into a packet of chocolate buttons.

Belle sighed “Don’t ask.”

“That doesn’t sound good.”

“It’s so hard Nic! It’s eating him up inside, I can see it but there is nothing I can do to help him . I can’t make him better and that kills me!”

“Belle, you know that just having you there helps him right?” Nicole reached out a hand to rub Belle’s arm.

“Yeah, that’s what he says too. He’s been having nightmares and last night……he was so upset Nic. He’s agreed to go and see a councillor so hopefully that will help.”

“It will.” Nicole nodded. “It worked the last time.”

They continued to chat as the seats around them filled up. By the time the film started Nicole had munched her way through the entire packet of chocolates. Less than half an hour into the film she regretted her actions.

“Oh god!” She whispered. “I think….Belle move!”

Before Belle even registered what was happening Nicole had shot past her and was rushing towards the exit. She hurriedly gathered together their things and followed her. By the time she made it through the door Nicole was nowhere to be seen but the door to the ladies toilets swung shut hastily so she presumed that was where Nicole had headed. Knowing that there would be nothing she could do to help in there she piled there things onto the bench placed just next to the door and sat down to wait. Ten minutes later a weary Nicole emerged.

“You alright?” Belle asked concern evident in her voice

“I don’t know why they call it morning sickness!” Nicole replied with a groan as she sat down heavily next to Belle. “It’s way past morning.”

“Err Nic, it might be more due to the fact that you just ate a whole packet of chocolates!” Belle couldn’t hold back a small giggle.

“Please! I do that all the time! This is purely bub here at work.” Nic said rubbing her stomach. “Do you mind if we head home?”

“Not at all. Come on.” Belle stood up and grinned sympathetically at the other woman who was looking distinctly green! She remembered only too well how bad morning sickness could make you feel having suffered with it during the first trimester of both of her pregnancies. A small smile came to her face as they made their way back to the car as she remembered how good Aden had been during those months and how well he had looked after her.

“What are you grinning at?” Nicole asked.

“Just remembering the joys of being pregnant.”

“Yeah, I feel real joyful right now!” Nicole quipped sarcastically.

“It’ll get better. And it will be worth it in the end. You know that, you already have one beautiful daughter.” Belle said as she unlocked the car and climbed in.

“I do don’t I! It’s funny how you forget what it’s like though. I mean I don’t remember ever feeling this bad with Eden but I’m guessing I did.” Nicole rested her head back against the headrest as soon as she was sat in the car.

“I seem to remember you complaining.” Belle grinned. “C’mon, let’s get you home so Geoff can look after you.”

They were almost at Geoff and Nicole’s house when Nicole cried out for Belle to stop the car. She did so as soon as she could and Nicole had the door open and was out within seconds.

“Oh Nic, are you ok?” Belle climbed out of the car quickly and rounded it to find Nicole heaving into the gutter.

“I’ve been better.” Nicole groaned standing up straight. “Look, I think I’m just gonna walk the rest of the way home. There’s no way I can face being back in that car.”

“No way. I’m not letting you walk by yourself.” Belle replied

Nicole looked around and realised they had stopped at the end of Roman’s street. “Well I’ll just go to dad’s and he can walk me back.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes Belle, I’ll be fine, I just need a bit of fresh air.”

“Shall I walk you to theirs then?” Belle asked

“No, don’t be silly, I’ll be fine. You get going.”

“Are….”

“Belle, go!” Nicole insisted.

They said their goodbyes and Nicole turned to head to Romans house whilst Belle pulled away.

It was only a short distance to Roman’s and within minutes Nicole was knocking on the door. A few moments later Leah answered.

“Hey Nic. You’re calling late, everything ok?”

“Me and Belle were at the movies but then I got sick and I got sick again in the car on the way home. We pulled up just down the road and I could really do with the fresh air so I thought dad wouldn’t mind walking me the rest of the way home.”

“Oh you poor thing. Come in.” Leah put an arm around her step daughter and ushered her into the house. “Your dad is out somewhere or other but he shouldn’t be much longer. Come and sit down inside and I’ll make you a drink whilst you wait.”

Belle grinned to herself as she pulled away from Nicole. She really didn’t envy the other woman right at that moment but she thought to herself, in a few months Nic’d be in the second trimester and blooming and that was something that she had enjoyed. Watching her bump grow and feeling the baby move for the first time. She chuckled slightly as she remembered Aden’s reaction the first time he had felt Jackson kick beneath his fingers. He had been so happy and proud. It made her heart beat just a little faster thinking about it and her foot pressed ever so slightly harder on the accelerator, wanting to be home with him sooner.

Memories were flooding through her as she drove so she was surprised that she noticed the figure walking along the pavement towards her much less recognise him. Before she even fully realised what she was doing she had stopped the car and was climbing out calling to the retreating person.

“We need to talk.”

When Belle entered the house some time later it was in total silence. She crept through the kitchen into the lounge and was greeted with the sight of her small family all asleep on the couch. Felicity was nestled against Aden’s chest, one of his hands resting protectively on her back. His other arm was wrapped around Jackson who was snuggled up against his side.

Wiping away a tear that she couldn’t prevent from falling she knelt down in front of them and pressed a kiss first to Felicity’s head, then Jackson’s and finally her husbands. He was the only one of the three to wake at the gesture.

“Hey.” He mumbled sleepily. “What time is it? Are you ok?” He instantly noticed the tear tracks on her face. “Belle, what’s happened?” He tried to manoeuvre the children so he could sit up and reach out to her but she placed hand on his arm to stop him.

“Shhh it’s alright, I’m alright! I err……I was just being silly. Nic was sick at the movies you know, the bub and all and I just…I was being all nostalgic about being pregnant. You know my hormones are still all over the place after this little one.”

As she spoke she lifted her daughter from him and cuddled her close. The little girl remained asleep despite the disturbance.

“You sure?”

“Yes positive.” Belle insisted forcing a grin onto her face. “How have you all been? Did she feed ok?” she looked down to Felicity as she spoke dropping a kiss onto the tip of her tiny button nose.

“Yeah, we’ve been good. Just….just a quiet night. We gave her a bottle about half an hour ago.”

“We?”

“Yeah, Jax helped.” Aden explained.

Belle grinned just imagining the scene.

“So no dramas then?” she asked.

“Nope nothing.” Aden replied averting his eyes from hers. “Shall we get these two into bed.”

“Yeah, we better had.”

Belle stood up with Felicity and waited whilst Aden shifted his position so he could stand up and then lift Jackson into his arms. She let him go up first and after turning off the downstairs lights she followed him up and into Jackson’s room. Aden placed the little boy onto the bed and he snuggled down under the cover which she helped to place over him. They both whispered I love you’s and kissed their son before making their way towards their own room.

“Hey.” Belle stopped at the door to the nursery which had been ready since before Felicity was born. “How about we put her down in here tonight?”

“Really? You think we should?” Aden replied sceptically.

“Well, she’s been sleeping pretty well.” Belle answered

“She woke last night.” he reminded her.

“We woke her last night Aden. I think she’ll be ok in here and we have the monitors so we’ll here her if she wakes.”

“I guess. If you are sure.”

“Yeah, c’mon.” Belle pushed open the door and made her way over to the crib, Aden following closely behind. After placing a series of gentle kisses to her cheeks and holding her so Aden could do the same she lowered the sleeping baby into the cocoon of blankets awaiting her. They hovered over the crib for a few minutes until they were satisfied that Felicity was settled.

“You sure you’re sure about this?” Aden checked as he moved away to collect the monitor for their room and to make sure the one they had placed in that room was switched on and working.

“Yes I’m sure.” Belle nodded kissing her fingers and running them gently down her daughters face before walking away quietly from the crib. She took Aden’s hand and led him out of the room pausing as he pulled the door until it was almost but not quite closed.

“So….” Aden began when they reached their own room and he had placed the monitor onto the dresser. “….all alone at last.”

“Mmmm” Belle agreed as she sauntered over to him and wrapped her arms around his neck.

“We should celebrate.” he murmured seconds before pulling her into a deep kiss.

Belle responded instantly, her fingers tangling into his hair as his hands greedily roamed her behind.

“Aden!” she panted breathlessly when she mustered up enough power to pull her lips from his. “Are you….”

His lips were on hers again before she could get any further, his tongue darting into her mouth and stealing the words from her. His fingers found the buttons on the shirt dress she was wearing and it was hanging open within moments.

They had to break apart as she pulled his t-shirt up and over his head but he was crashing his lips against hers as soon as the material was clear of them. There was an intensity to him that Belle couldn’t quite put her finger on and she fought with herself for a moment as his kisses almost won her over.

“Aden….Aden wait.” She managed to pull away from him slightly as he looked at her in confusion. “Are you….you didn’t want to do this the other day with……”

“Don’t! Don’t say it.” He insisted pulling her close again. “I want to forget. Make me forget Belle.” He trailed hungry kisses along her jaw and down her neck and she almost succumbed without further argument.

“But…”

“No buts! I want you Belle, I want you so much.”

He looked directly into her eyes and she could see the desire shining in them but there was something else hiding behind it. Something that she couldn’t place.

“Belle please.” he whispered before kissing her so deeply yet tenderly that her final ounce of resolve melted and she gave herself fully to him as they tumbled onto their bed.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a good job you are all so lovely and understanding about the gaps in updates! I have tried to get this chap up sooner but it just wasn't happening and i'm still not happy with it but a not so good chap is better than no chap at all right?? Hope you all enjoy it anyway!

Chapter 8

For the second morning in a row Belle awoke to find the bed next to her empty. She sighed as she slipped out of it and hastily pulled on a pair of pyjama shorts and a vest top. Quietly she made her way out of their room and instantly noticed the door to the nursery was pushed open. She tiptoed over to it and peered around the gap. Aden was standing with his forearms resting against the edges of the crib, gazing intently at their baby girl.

“Hey, I didn’t hear her wake.” she whispered as she walked up behind him. She wrapped her arms around his waist and pressed a kiss to his shoulder before resting her chin onto it so she could see into the crib.

“She didn’t.” He replied, his voice as low as hers. “I’d been awake for a bit and hadn’t heard her so I just came to check she was ok.”

“She looks pretty ok.” Belle grinned “Really peaceful. She must be dreaming sweet dreams.”

“I hope so. She’s so perfect Belle. I only ever want her to have sweet dreams. I’ll do whatever it takes to make that happen.”

“I know you will babe.” She pressed another kiss to his shoulder rubbing her hand tenderly across his chest. “So, how long have you been awake?”

Aden turned around in her arms as she spoke. “A few hours.” he replied as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

“Aden! We spoke about this yesterday.” Belle sighed. “You have to sleep.”

“I did sleep but then…..”

“You had the dream?” Belle guessed.

“Yeah, I woke myself up before it got too bad and then I had so much going on in my head that I couldn’t get back off.”

“Babe! We….we shouldn’t have….”

“Hey!” Felicity jumped slightly at Aden’s exclamation but didn’t wake up. Noticing Aden pulled away from Belle and took hold of her hands instead. “Come here.” He led her from the nursery and back into their own room. Sitting down on the bed he made sure their hands remained entwined.

“Belle I love you so much. Last night was amazing, it’s always amazing. I never have and never will ever regret making love with you.”

“Bu…”

“No buts sweetheart. I needed you. When we are together, when you kiss me even…” he leant forward and pressed a quick kiss to her lips “…everything else goes away. It’s like it’s just the two of us and nothing else matters. I really need that at the moment.”

“Ok, but you can’t go on like this Aden. It’s not the answer.”

“I know it’s not and I promise I’ll go and see somebody, I got the numbers off Rach so I’ll call and arrange something tomorrow.”

Belle nodded as she dropped his hand and raised hers to cup his cheek. “Alright, as long as you promise. Now, you should get back in here and try and get some more sleep.”

“As long as you join me.” Aden grinned shuffling up the bed and pulling her with the hand he still held.

“Hmmmm I think I can live with that deal.” Belle smiled as she snuggled herself next to him. “At least until our little monkey’s wake up anyway.”

“That should give us about ten minutes then knowing them two.” Aden chuckled, wrapping his arms tightly around his wife. “I love you Belle.”

“I love you too.” Belle whispered turning her head to press a kiss against his chest, the only part of him she could reach without too much movement.

Aden had fallen into a light sleep quickly and was surprised to see that almost an hour had passed when the sound of footsteps padding along the hallway woke him. Seconds later Jackson poked his head around the door.

“Morning” He mumbled as he walked slowly towards the bed. “Hey, where’s Flissy?”

“She’s not in her crib?” Aden joked as he pulled himself into a sitting position, waking Belle as he did so. “Sorry babe. She’s in the nursery Jax.”

“Morning babes.” Belle murmured noticing their son standing at the end of the bed. “Come sit up here for a bit.” She untangled herself from Aden and moved over slightly, patting the space in between them.

Jackson climbed onto the bed and settled himself comfortably in the gap.

“How come Fliss is in her own room?” He asked.

“She’s been sleeping through the night so we thought it was about time.” Aden answered simply. “Not like you!” He added ruffling the little boys hair as he wrapped an arm around his shoulders.

“Did I not sleep good?”

“Not for ages and ages!” Aden grinned

“You were nearly one before we moved you into your own room.” Belle explained “You woke up a few times every night just for cuddles!”

Jackson giggled as Aden squeezed him tightly.

“I think sometimes mom just woke you up cause she wanted a cuddle.” Aden guessed with a smile in Belle’s direction.

“Maybe.” She laughed.

Before any of them could continue the conversation a whimper emitted from the baby monitor.

“I’ll go.” Aden said, already climbing out of the bed.

“We’ll get up.” Belle called after him. “Bring her down yeah.”

“Ok babe.” He replied as he made his way into the nursery making Belle smile as she heard him greet their daughter through the baby monitor.

“Hey precious. Who’s a big girl staying in their own room all night huh?” He walked over to the crib and lifted the baby into his arms. She continued crying so he whispered soothing words into her small ear. When that didn’t work he rooted around under the blanket in the crib until he found her soother. “Here you go baby, is this what you want huh?” He placed it into her mouth and she instantly settled as she suckled hungrily on the soother. “You’re hungry aren’t you? There’s nothing in there bub, let’s take you down to mommy shall we and she can feed you.”

Settling her comfortably against his chest Aden carried Felicity out of the nursery and down the stairs.

Jackson and Belle were both in the kitchen gathering together things for breakfast.

“Good morning my baby girl.” Belle walked towards them and rubbed a hand gently over her daughters head.

“We’ve got a hungry girl here.” Aden told Belle “I’ll finish off here if you wanna go feed her.”

“Ok. Come on then honey, lets get you your brekkie.” She lifted Felicity from Aden and carried her into the lounge as he continued to help their son prepare breakfast.

Within fifteen minutes they were all sat around the table eating. Jackson was chattering away trying to claim Aden’s attention but he seemed to be in a world of his own.

“Dad….daddy!”

“Huh, what?” The little boy’s raised voice finally caused Aden to jump out of his daze.

“Everything ok babe? You were miles away.” Belle asked, concern written all over her face.

“Yeah…..yeah I’m fine. I’m just tired I guess.”

“Did you not sleep good dad? It was probably ‘cause of that scary film you were watching.” Jackson suggested.

“Scary film?” Belle looked to Aden for an explanation but Jackson beat him to it.

“I was trying to get to sleep but there was shouting. I had to come downstairs ‘cause Fliss was crying and dad said it was just the TV.”

Belle looked to Aden with her eyebrows raised.

“Yeah…I was just flicking through the channels but then Felicity wanted her bottle and…yeah.”

Belle was just about to reply when a knock on the door interrupted her.

“I’ll go.”

Aden jumped up and hurried through the kitchen to answer the door, memories of what had happened the night before making him stumble slightly as he went. “I’m coming.” He called when another knock reverberated around the house.

“Hurry up uncle Ade!” A little voice called from the other side instantly clearing the unwelcome thoughts from Aden’s mind and putting a smile on his face that only widened when he opened the door and took in the sight of his niece before him.

Eden was standing on the doorstep with her hands on her hips and a pout on her lips that made her look more like her mother than Aden had ever seen. The resemblance was so striking it made him chuckle.

“Hey babycakes.” He grinned. “You’re here early.” he reached down and lifted the little girl up into his arms. “You come all by yourself?”

“No silly uncle Ade, I’m still little! Daddy bringed me, he’s just slow as a coach.”

“Oh I know that baby, I used to play footie with him!”

“Ha ha!” Geoff laughed dryly as he walked into the house. “morning.”

“Mornin.” Aden replied as he carried Eden into the lounge, Geoff following closely behind.

“Hello Jax, hello auntie Belle.” Eden chirped “Ooo, Licity!” Spotting the baby girl who was now perched on Belle’s lap Eden wriggled in Aden’s arms to be put down.

“What’s up missy, you got ants in your pants?” Aden teased.

“Uncle Ade! Stop being silly today! I want to go and say hello to Licity!”

“Go on then gorgeous.” Aden dropped a kiss onto the top of her head as he placed her back onto the floor.

“Hello baby Licity.” Eden cooed as she came to stand directly in front of Belle, picking up the babies hand. She continued to babble away to the younger girl as Belle looked up to Geoff.

“So, you two are up and about early, everything ok?”

“yeah…” Geoff pulled out a seat and sat down at the table as Aden did the same “..Nic was feeling a bit worse for wear so I’ve brought Eden out so she could have a lie in. I thought we’d take the boat out. What do you say Jax? You wanna come with us?”

“Can I?” Jackson looked to Aden and then Belle.

“Course.” Aden replied at the same time as Belle nodded.

“Cool, I’ll go get dressed.” Jackson jumped down from his chair and made his way up the stairs.

“You sure you don’t mind taking him Geoff?” Belle asked

“Not at all.” Geoff was quick to reply. “He’s no bother and he keeps madam entertained. I was gonna ask if you wanted to come Aden but you look like you could do with going back to bed! Everything ok?”

“yeah….yeah it’s all good, I’m fine.” Aden replied defensively. “Just…..fine!”

“Ok.” Geoff looked to Belle who shook her head the slightest bit letting him know not to pursue the subject.

He was spared having to think of a change of topic when Eden piped up.

“Auntie Belle, can Licity come on the boat with me and daddy and Jax?”

“Oh, I think she’s a bit too small for boats honey.” Belle answered returning her attention to her niece and daughter. “Look, she doesn’t have her sea legs yet.” she lifted Felicity up and bounced her up and down gently, resting her tiny feet against her legs.

“But……” Eden looked down at her own legs, taking hold of her jeans at the knees and pulling them up slightly “….I don’t think my legs are sea legs, they look just like leg legs! Daddy, do you have sea legs?”

The three adults all laughed as the little girl walked around the table examining their legs.

“What are sea legs anyway auntie Belle?” She asked when she finally realised that there was nothing different about any of the legs she had looked at despite Geoff and Aden both claiming to be in possession of a pair.

“Eden, babes, you are the cutest little thing!” Belle reached out a hand to stroke the little girls long blonde hair. “Sea legs just means that you can stand up on a boat without being wobbly. They don’t look different.”

“Oh, that’s good then because I’m never wobbly on the boat. Not like mommy, she’s wobbly on the boat all the time and she’s wobbly in the house sometimes! Maybe she doesn’t have house legs too.”

Belle, Geoff and Aden all burst into laughter once again.

“What’s funny?” Jackson asked as he rushed down the stairs pulling a t-shirt over his head.

“Eden!” Aden replied simply, laughing even harder when she pouted at his answer.

“I’m not funny!” she exclaimed.

“Baby girl you are very funny.” Aden grinned. “Come here.” He held his arms open but Eden refused to move into them, folding her arms and stomping her foot on the floor.

“Not funny! Not funny!” she repeated making the assembled adults laugh harder much to her dismay.

“Aww Eden! Come on princess.” Aden reached out a hand and physically pulled the little girl into his embrace. “It’s good to be funny baby, it makes people happy. And you’re not just funny are you? You’re smart and kind and incredibly beautiful.”

“When she’s not pouting like that.” Geoff chipped in.

“Let’s get a smile on that pretty face.” Aden insisted as he began to gently tickle the young girl who couldn’t help but giggle. “Much better.” He added when he heard the tinkling laugh and saw the matching grin on her face.

“Right Jax, you all set to go?” Geoff asked

“Uh huh.” Jackson replied.

“Have you got your hoodie baby?” Belle checked. “You might need it out on the water.” She stood up and handed felicity to Aden whilst she fussed around Jackson, smoothing down his hair.

“Mom! Stop it! I’m not a baby!”

“Ok, ok!” Belle grinned “I get it, you’re all grown up now and don’t need me anymore!”

“I…I don…I…”

“Jax, I’m kidding bab…I’m kidding.” she settled with. “But will you take your hoodie just in case?”

“Yes.” Jackson replied as he rolled his eyes.

“And sunscreen, Geoff do you have sunscreen becau…”

“There’s some on the boat Belle. Nic insists.” Geoff answered “We ready to go now? Jax? Eden?”

“I’m ready.” Jackson replied.

“Me too.” Eden added taking hold of the older boys hand.

They said their goodbyes and a few minutes later Belle was walking back into the lounge after waving them off.

“Peace at last huh?” she said to Aden as she sat back down at the table.

“Yeah.” He answered.

“Aden, is there…..are you alright?” Belle asked.

He shrugged his shoulders in response so she continued.

“I mean I know you’re not alright really but there’s something else isn’t there? Something you haven’t told me. You were weir…different last night and you’ve been in a world of your own this morning.”

“I’m just tired.” He answered

“Aden!” Belle sighed deeply. “I can’t help you if you don’t talk to me.”

“You can’t help anyway Belle.” He snapped back.

“Oh that’s just great Aden, thanks for that.” she fired back.

“Sh…” Aden cursed under his breath as he stood up from his chair and quickly moved over to Felicity’s Moses basket. After placing her into it gently he walked back over to the table and sat down onto the seat closest to Belle’s.

“I’m sorry.” He whispered, reaching out and taking hold of her hand. “I didn’t mean that, you know I didn’t. You do help me babe.”

“Then tell me what’s happened.” Belle pressed.

Aden sighed and ran his free hand through his hair.

“Ok, you are right, something happened. Last night, whilst you were o…”

A loud knock from the door interrupted him.

“Ignore it.” Belle said.

“The shouting that Jax heard wa…” Aden tried to continue but the knocking persisted. “I’m gonna have to get that.” he jumped up before Belle could object and made his way through into the kitchen.

When he pulled the door open he was surprised to see Charlie and Angelo waiting on the other side, both dressed in their police uniforms.

“Aden hey.” Charlie was the first to speak.

“Hey.” Aden replied “What can I do for you?”

“Can we come in?” Angelo asked.

“Yeah, sorry….yeah, come in.” he ushered them into the kitchen as Belle walked in from the lounge.

“Hi guys, what’s up?” She asked

“Maybe we should sit down?” Charlie suggested.

“What’s going on?” Aden asked worry evident in his every word.

“Lets…”

“Charlie, c’mon, what is it?” He asked again

“Aden…” Angelo began taking chare of the situation “….we had a report of a body being found on the beach in the early hours of this morning…it was your grandfather.”

Belle gasped

“My gr….is he……he’s dead?” Aden asked

“I’m afraid so.” Angelo confirmed “I’m very sorry.”

“yeah, well I’m not.” Aden replied turning away from them and reaching into the cupboard for a glass. “Can I get anyone a drink?”

• 2 weeks later...

You might think, what with it taking soooo long for me to update, that i'd have a mega long chap for you! Fraid not!! This one is really short but...well you might see why, when you get to the end, that i chose to end it where i did :P

Anyhow, more thanks for the lovely lovely comments, every word is muchly appreciated. Thanks to Naomi for proofing a certain bit, also muchly appreciated! So without futher ado.....

Chapter 9

Belle stared in shock at Aden as he turned away from the police officers and busied himself taking glasses out of the cupboard.

“Aden…I….” she struggled to find any words to say that would make this moment any easier.

“I think maybe we should go and sit down.” Charlie suggested.

“Why?” Aden snapped turning back to face her. “You’ve said what you came to say…”

“Actually Aden, we have a few questions we need to ask.” Angelo interrupted

“Questions?”

“Your grandfathers body had some visible signs of trauma so his death is being treated as suspicious.” Angelo explained. “We are waiting on the results from a post-mortem to confirm the actual cause of death but until then we are starting to make enquiries to determine how this happened.”

“So why are you here?” Aden asked before laughing dryly. “Oh I get it, I’m suspect number one right?”

“What?” Belle exclaimed. “No…no way!”

“Where were you last night Aden?” Charlie asked.

“Charlie!” Belle cried “It wasn’t…he….I..”

“Aden?” The officer pressed

“I was here.” Aden replied sullenly.

“And was there somebody here with you? Belle?” Angelo asked, folding his arms across his chest.

“Jax and Felicity, Belle was out.”

Angelo looked to Belle who nodded in confirmation.

“So it was just you and the kids right? All night till Belle got home?”

“Well er…..”

“Well er?” Angelo repeated noticing Aden looking even more uncomfortable. “Did somebody else call in?”

Belle looked at Aden her face clouded with confusion.

“Babe?”

“Oh god!” Aden raised his hands to cover his face leaving them there a moment before running them though his hair. “He came here.” he spoke quietly, answering Angelo’s question but looking directly at Belle.

“What?” she exclaimed “I…..”

“Maybe we should go to the station to talk about this?” Charlie’s suggestion came as a cry echoed from the other room.

“I….” Belle looked torn between staying where she was or going to comfort her daughter.

“Belle, go and see to Fliss, I’ll sort this.” Aden told her.

“But…”

“I wont be long, I’ll be back soon ok. Kiss Flissy bye for me.” He strode across the kitchen and took her face in his hands “It’ll be alright, I promise.” He whispered brushing a quick kiss against her lips before turning to face the police officers. “Let’s go then.”

Belle watched him leave then headed into the other room, rushing to Felicity’s cradle and picking up the wailing infant.

“Shhhh baby, it’s ok, it’s ok, I’ve got you.” she soothed the little girl holding her close to her body as she made her way over to the telephone and picked it up. She quickly dialled a number from memory and sighed with relief when it was answered almost immediately. “Hi, it’s me. Something’s happened, can you come over.”

Entering the police station Charlie led Aden into the main interview room and Angelo followed behind.

Aden slumped down into the chair she pulled out for him and sighed deeply.

“So, are you arresting me?” He asked.

“Do we have reason to arrest you?”

Flashback

“How the hell did you find out where I live?” Aden growled at the old man standing on his door step.

“I asked around.” his grandfather replied. “Look Aden, we need to….”

“You need to leave! Now!” Aden’s voice was low but there was no mistaking the anger lacing his every word.

“I don’t want to cause any trouble, I just want to talk to you.”

“Yeah, well I don’t want to talk to you, I don’t want to listen to you, I don’t want to see you! Leave!”

He tried to slam the door but the old man held out a hand to stop it in its tracks.

“Five minutes, that’s all I’m asking. Five minutes to explain…”

“Explain!” Aden erupted, his voice rising steadily “You think you can explain? Like hell you can! You just want to try and ease your conscience . Well screw you! I want you to live with what you’ve done. I hope it eats at you till the day you die. I hope you lay on your death bed thinking about it. About how you ruined my life! ”

“I…I never meant….I left. I left so that…..it must have been better….”

Aden forced out a dry laugh

“What? You think because you left things were suddenly ok? You have no idea do you? No clue as to how bad you made my life! You…..you killed my childhood you know that? I hated myself because of what you did to me. I was so ashamed and that didn’t go away because you left. It got worse and worse. Sean and Justin were god knows where and dad …..dad was drunk! It was just me, me and the memories of what you did! They ate away at me, left me angry all the time. I had no friends, no one to look out for me.”

Despite his best efforts Aden was unable to prevent tears falling from his eyes. He wiped at them angrily.

“I’m sorr…”

“I don’t wanna hear it! I’m sorry will not make this better! It will not make up for what you did to me! God I hate you so much! If…if my kids weren’t asleep in the other room right now I’d…….I’d kill you!”

His voice trailed off so he was almost inaudible by the end.

“You don’t mean that.” The old man whispered back fearfully

“I do!” Aden replied “I do. You know….there was this one time…Belle and I had broken up because she wanted to take our relationship further and I couldn’t….because of what you did to me, I couldn’t….anyway, we were broken up and I sat on the beach with a bottle of whiskey and some pills and I came so close to ending it all. I wanted it all to stop, the memories and the hurt, I just wanted to end it all!”

“And did you take them?”

“No. I realised if I took them, then you would have won. You would have killed me! So I went to Belle and I told her everything and she helped me and eventually things got better. I built a life for myself but it’s always there. What you did to me will never leave and I will never forgive you and I hope to god you can never forgive yourself!”

“I can’t Aden….I’m…”

“I don’t want to hear it remember!” Aden’s voice rose again.

“But…..”

“No! That’s it! I’m done, leave and never come here again! In fact leave town, nobody wants you around so go!”

Aden pushed heavily against the door once more and this time his force was so great that the old man was powerless to stop it. Breathing deeply he walked over to the counter and leant heavily against it, burying his face in his hands.

End flashback

“Aden!” Belle cried jumping up from the table when she heard him call from the kitchen.

“Hey” he replied walking into the lounge to meet her. “It’s alright.” He whispered as she flung herself into his arms.

“What happened mate?” Roman had come round to the house as soon as Belle had called and insisted on staying with her until Aden returned.

Aden spent a few minutes filling them in on the events of the previous night.

“I can’t believe he came here.” Belle whispered when he got to the end of the story.

“So, what did Charlie and Angelo say? They done talking to you?” Roman asked.

“Yeah.” Aden answered. “Well for now at least. They’ve got nothing to go on so…..”

“Hmmmm” Roman replied

“Belle listen….” Aden spoke turning to look at her resting his hands on her waist. “ I….I swear I didn’t…”

“Shhh, Aden I know….” Belle tried to reassure him but Aden cut her off.

“I…god I wanted to but honestly I didn’t. I wouldn’t do that to you babe.”

“ I know Aden, I know.” She stretched up onto tiptoes and wound her arms around his neck, burying her face into it as she began to sob.

“Hey, hey.” Aden soothed. “It’s alright…shhhh.”

“It’s not” Belle whispered.

“What?” Aden asked quietly pulling away so he could see Belle’s face.

“It’s not alright!” She repeated a little louder before taking a deep breath as she pulled away from him. “There’s something I need to tell you.”

“What’s going on?” Aden asked, worry clouding his face as he heard Roman let out a sigh.

“Last night…” Belle began hesitantly “…last night before I came home I….I saw hi…”

“Him as in…”

“Your grandfather” Belle nodded.

“When you say you saw him…..”

• 2 weeks later...

Once again i have to apologise for the wait - don't blame me blame my vanishing muse!!! He seems to have returned so maybe the next update wont be as long a wait as this one was! No promises though!!!

Chapter 10

“Belle, what do you mean you saw him?” Aden repeated when no answer was forthcoming from his wife. He looked back and forth between her and Roman who looked equally as upset as Belle.

“Mate, let’s sit down yeah?” The older man suggested

Aden’s hands dropped from Belle’s waist as she stepped further away from him, pulling out a chair from the table and sitting down heavily onto it. She let out a muffled sob as she buried her face into her hands.

“Hey, come on….” Realising how upset Belle was Aden shook himself and perched on the chair next to her, taking hold of her shaking hand. “Belle, you can tell me….what happened?”

Flashback

“We need to talk.”

Belle was out of the car and striding towards the old man before she began to think rationally.

“You’re Aden’s wife?” he questioned

“yeah, I…..” coming to her senses Belle stumbled over her words. “I….why are you here?” she finally managed.

The old man let out a deep sigh before answering .“I came to make amends.”

“Amends!” Belle scoffed “You…..you think there is anything you can say that will make this better, that will make what you did to Aden go away?”

“Look, I realise that…that I hurt him but….”

“You have no idea what you’ve done to him!” Belle interrupted, her voice rising. “You nearly destroyed him. It took him years to get over what you did.”

“I know and I…I am sorry.”

“sorry isn’t good enough! Sorry doesn’t make up for the fact that he had no real friends because he was too angry. Sorry doesn’t make up for the fact that when we first found out I was pregnant, rather than being over the moon about it like he should have been Aden cried because he was so scared he was going to be a bad father because of what you had done. Sorry doesn’t erase the conversation with our little boy where we had to tell him that his daddy was so upset when he saw you because you had hurt him so badly.”

Try as she might Belle couldn’t prevent tears sliding down her cheeks.

“I know I can’t make up for those things but I want to just have the chance to…..”

“No!” Belle interrupted again. “The only thing you can do for Aden is leave! Go back to where ever it was you came from and leave him…us alone!”

She began to back away from the old man as she spoke. A gasp of surprise left her when he reached out and grabbed hold of her arm.

“Please, just let me….”

“Get off me!” She cried “Let me go!”

“Belle please, I don’t want to hurt you I just need a chance to explain.” instead of loosening his grip as she had demanded the old man tightened his hold on her pulling her closer to him.

Terror engulfed Belle as she tried to pull away.

“Please…..” She begged, tears streaming down her cheeks. “…Please, just let me go.”

She was almost at the point of shouting for help when she felt a strong arm wrap around her from behind.

“Get your hands off her now!” Roman growled pulling Belle from the grip of the old man and coming to stand protectively in front of her.

Belle leant against him relief surging through her as her hands gripped the back of his t-shirt. “Roman….”

Roman turned his head towards her, hearing the tremble in her voice.

“it’s alright Belle, You’re safe now honey.”

“Oh god…I…I didn’t……” The old man stumbled over his words reaching out his hands once more towards Belle.

“You dare!” Roman’s voice was low but filled with menace and it sent a jolt of fear through Belle who had only ever heard words of kindness from her father-in-law of sorts.

“Roman” she whispered again.

“Alright Belle, it’s alright.” he returned his attention once more to her. “Can you drive?”

Belle nodded her head, stringing even a few words together to answer was beyond her in that moment.

“Are you sure?”

Taking a deep breath Belle was able to pull herself together enough to choke out an answer “Yes, I’m ok.”

“Ok, good. I want you to get in the car and go home alright. Can you do that for me Belle?”

“But…..you….”

“No buts Belle. I’ve got this. I want you to go home to Aden, come on.”

Before she had time to register what was happening much less begin to form an argument Roman was steering Belle back towards her car, pulling the door open for her.

“In you get” he encouraged giving her a gentle nudge and leaving no room for her to argue. “Home Belle.”

“Bu…..”

“Home” He insisted once more shutting the door once she was seated safely inside.

Realising that arguing was futile Belle took another deep, steadying breath and started the car.

End flashback

By the time she had finished recounting her part of the story Belle was sobbing again. The hardest part had been seeing the look of utter horror on Aden’s face, particularly when she had told about his grandfather grabbing her.

Aden was fighting an internal battle, anger versus his need to comfort his wife. After a few moments, her sobs tearing at his heart, Belle won out and he pulled her onto his lap.

“Shhhh sweetheart, it’s ok.” he whispered into her ear.

“I….I’m sorry.” she whispered back.

“Hey, no, you have nothing to be sorry for Belle! You’ve done nothing wrong.”

“You asked me not to talk to him, I should have just driven past him…this wouldn’t be happening if….”

“Belle, it’s alright I promise.” Roman interrupted her.

Aden looked up at the older man as if he had forgotten he was there until he spoke.

“Really Roman? Is it really alright?”

Roman nodded and took a deep breath.

Flashback

Roman waited until Belle had pulled away before he turned his attention back to the old man.

“What the hell do you think you were doing?” He exclaimed as he strode over to the other man, not stopping until he was inches from him.

“I want to explain.”

The old mans voice was stronger than Roman had imagined. He had hoped that it would be fearful.

“Well nobody wants to listen.” He all but growled back, his hands clenched into tight fists at his sides.

“I’m not leaving. I’m not leaving this town until Aden talks to me again and listens properly to what I have to say.”

His insistence was the final straw for Roman who pulled back a hand and before he could contemplate his actions sent it flying forwards to connect with the older mans jaw.

With a satisfying thud the old man staggered backwards a hand coming to hold against the point of impact.

“I suppose I earned that.” He said after a few moments.

“You earned more than that and you know it.” Roman exclaimed.

“And I suppose you’re gonna be the one to give it me? You think you are so much better than me…”

“I know I’m better than you!”

“Really? It hasn’t taken you very long to let your fists do the talking.”

It took every ounce of self control Roman had to not bite at the old mans goading. His fists were twitching at his side but he fought to keep them there.

“You make me sick!” Roman growled. “I’d pity you if I didn’t despise you so much!”

“I don’t need your pity. I just need Aden to understand.”

“He’ll never understand! You know, I’ve looked at my grandkids this week and thought about you a lot. I’d never ever be able to hurt a hair on their heads, just the thought of it makes me sick to my stomach. You make me sick to my stomach.”

“I….I was…”

“Save it!” Roman barked “There is nothing, nothing you can say. If you feel anything, any kind of remorse, then leave Aden alone. Let him get back to his life, let him be happy.”

It was apparent the moment the fight went out of the old man. His shoulders visibly drooped.

“He wont understand will he. You’re right.”

“Yes I am!” Roman insisted. “So you are going to leave?”

“I suppose I am.” A sigh of defeat left the old man.

“Good!” Roman exclaimed. “Well, I wont be seeing you…I hope!”

“No you wont.”

“Good” Roman repeated as he backed away towards his own car “And don’t come back yeah!”

“Yeah.”

End flashback

Silence resonated through the room for a few moments after Roman had finished talking. Belle was the first to break it.

“You didn’t…..”

“No Belle, I didn’t kill him.” Roman replied.

Aden let out a sigh of relief before looking guiltily at the other man.

“Sorry Roman, I…..”

“Hey mate I understand.” Roman said. “I would have thought it was me too.”

“It was just……” Belle trailed off “sorry” she sighed.

“That’s ok.” Roman grinned for a brief moment until the reality of the situation came back to him. “I guess we should go and talk to Charlie and Angelo” he suggested to Belle.

“Yeah I suppose, I mean we both have an alibi right? They can’t pin this on although…” she paused for a moment before continuing “what about after you had walked Nic home? You didn’t see him then did you?”

“Walked Nic…? Belle I didn’t see Nic last night.”

“She came to your house.” Belle explained “She’d been sick and couldn’t face being in the car, she came to yours so you could walk her home.”

“Leah was in bed when I got home Belle, Nic wasn’t there.”

“Then…she must have walked home alone….”

A loud gasp reverberated around the room as they all came to the same unexpected conclusion.

Archived