The Hound of the Austinvilles

Guest Miranda

The revelation of the terrible message caused a torrent of emotion to unleash itself in the drawing room.

Mrs Smart clasped her hands and began crying:

‘Death and destruction to us all, oh what have the Austinvilles done to deserve such terrible punishment?’

Lady Rachel, having recovered from her faint, now burst into theatrical tears, while Miss Ruby comforted her. Although the younger lady’s eyes were narrow with some unexpressed emotion, she did her best to soothe her companion.

Hugo, meanwhile, strode back and forth in front of the fireplace, declaiming:

‘The foul fiend who perpetrated this outrage will be found and dealt with in the harshest of ways. Hellfire be poured on the head of such a monster!’

Martha was just recovering from her sickness, and lay chalk white upon the chaise longue, being fanned by Harris with an ostrich feather contrivance.

Mrs Bellingham stood silently at the window, glaring out at the looming rain clouds.

Rosetta and Watson Buckton quietly observed the distressed family, hoping to discover important evidence.

Suddenly the drawing room door crashed open and Mr Xavier burst in, merry eyes glittering with mischief. He was accompanied by Miss Nicole, Miss Freya, Campbell and Jefferies, singing a lewd sea shanty.

The other Austinvilles paused in their machinations.

Miss Ruby, however, strode up to Xavier and slapped him full across the face.

‘I knew you were up to something with this harlot!’ she shrieked. ‘ ‘Obnobbing with a common servant while Hi am made a fool of!’

‘You’re no better than I, you lah-di-dah fancy piece!’ retorted Freya. Ruby and she leapt at each other, pulling hair and scratching.

Xavier and the two servants admired the scene for a brief moment before the others in the room broke into shouts.

‘Oh woe is me!’ cried Mrs Smart.

‘Please, no more violence!’ wept Lady Rachel.

‘Xavier! Control your women!’ bellowed Hugo.

The servants, Harris and Annie, the parlour maid, exchanged weary glances. When would the upper classes learn to control themselves?

There was a sudden loud banging, and exaggerated coughing.

‘What is the meaning of this?’ thundered Mrs Bellingham. She was tapping a candle snuffer on the table top to gain attention. ‘Show respect to our dear family members who have passed on tonight. That is the least they deserve!’

There was instant silence.

‘THEY? I- I thought it was just Sir Alfred who had died?’ ventured Xavier.

‘Dear Xavier. I am sorry to tell you that Mr Lucas, your cousin, has passed away also.’ Lady Rachel swept over to him and put her hand on his arm sympathetically.

‘But- Lucas- I-‘ Xavier looked at his brother, who nodded gravely. ‘How did he die? Was it- murder?’

Rosetta and Watson Buckton exchanged glances. They had been making notes all through the evening.

Mrs Bellingham swiftly enlightened Xavier of the situation. The younger Austin-Austinvilles’ expression wavered between shock and confusion. His eyes kept darting to his brother, who appeared to be furious.

Meanwhile, Watson Buckton was sitting with the ailing Martha. She had dismissed Harris and his fan.

‘Do you feel better now, Mrs Holden-Austinville? What terrible distress you have suffered tonight.’

‘I-I am a little more recovered thank you Doctor.’

‘Could you tell me how you became so ill, Madam?’

‘Oh- well-er- Hugo and I went to the cottage,’ she blushed. ‘We go there to- er- enjoy our privacy- er- so we decided- Hugo decided- that we should sample the latest vintage. So we proceeded and – and- I really do not know what occurred- but I became intoxicated.’

‘And Mr Austinville did not?’

Martha paused.

‘No- he- he did not. There was someone else at the cottage. No- there was more than one person. They were talking but I could not make out what they were saying. Please excuse me: my memory is hazy.’

‘That is quite alright. Do you know who these persons were?’

‘I think it was Hugo talking- but no- I’m sure he was with me. It was other people, they sounded like common folk- perhaps servants. Of that I am certain, but I do not know what was their business.’

Watson Buckton immediately thought of Harris, Campbell, Jefferies, and Copeland. They would be worth investigating: she must tell Rosetta as soon as possible.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sherlock Rosetta awoke with a start. He looked over and saw Dr Watson Buckton lying next to him. They had both been so exhausted by the dramatic events yesterday that they had fallen on the bed fully clothed and slept without interruption until the morning.

Rosetta felt disturbed however: he had experienced a distinctly odd dream. He and Watson Buckton had been travelling on an express train, enjoying a champagne breakfast. The doctor was wearing the attractive ball gown disguise from yesterday at the Autumn Ball. Their train journey must have been near Paris, because from every window, Rosetta could see the magnificent architectural erection which the French called La Tour Eiffel. Suddenly the train had plunged into a shadowy tunnel and at that moment, Rosetta noticed that the doctor was now wearing a fetching nightgown. He was surprised by the cork of the champagne bottle he was holding suddenly flying out and the effervescent drink showering them both. Fortunately it was then he woke up.

Really! He said to himself. Whatever is the matter with me, dreaming about my esteemed colleague in such a way. He decided that having slept in his clothes from yesterday, what he needed was a bath. The colder the better. He strode manfully into the bathroom.

The slam of the door woke the good doctor. She had slept peacefully with no dreams, but had the feeling that something was not right. Suddenly remembering the sleeping arrangements, she looked down at herself and the gap where Rosetta had been, and sighed. Perhaps it was pointless to admire him, endlessly hoping he would notice she was female and swear undying love to her. If he hadn’t noticed by now, he never would, so perhaps it would be better to turn her attentions elsewhere. She found herself thinking of Harris, the butler: at least he recognised she was female. He was obviously involved in illicit activities, but she had very much enjoyed their encounter in the pantry. As she was dressed as a man, perhaps she should act like one and engage in secret liaisons of her own.

Humming to herself, she arranged her clothes for the day, keeping well away from the bathroom as she could hear Rosetta warbling ‘Greensleeves’ in there.

At the breakfast table, the remaining members of the Austinville family and their guests were partaking of Mrs Roberts’ excellent fare.

‘Pass the sausages Xavier,’ ordered Miss Ruby, looking as if she had been slapped in the face with a wet fish. ‘Hi don’t want to die of starvation.’

‘Ruby please!’ hissed Mrs. Smart. ‘Refrain from mentioning death after the recent fate of our relatives.’

‘Sorry Ma’am. Xavier! Har you deaf?’

‘Hm? Oh, I am sorry my dear.’ He absently passed the sausage dish, his mind elsewhere.

‘Are you feeling better Mrs Holden Austinville?’ asked Rosetta politely.

‘Oh, yes, thank you. Much better,’ she mumbled shyly.

‘Can you not leave her alone?’ demanded Mr Hugo, glaring at Rosetta. ‘She is tired and emotional.’

Rosetta glared at him in return. ‘I was merely being polite,’ he said coldly.

‘Could I please have the marmalade, Harris?’ asked Watson Buckton.

Harris sauntered casually to the sideboard to fetch the fine porcelain vessel.

‘It is a speciality of our cook Mrs Roberts,’ he said suavely as he handed it to her.

‘Oh thank you,’ Watson Buckton fluttered her eyelashes at him and to her satisfaction, he dropped the dish.

‘Harris, you clumsy dolt!’ roared Mrs Bellingham. ‘I was very much looking forward to some marmalade on my toast! Go at once to beg Mrs Roberts for more.’

The butler glided out of the dining room, but returned surprisingly quickly with a larger pot of marmalade. He winked surreptitiously at Watson Buckton.

‘So Mr Rosetta? How are your investigations progressing?’ inquired Mrs Bellingham. ‘I hope you have at least one suspect under scrutiny?’

‘Er- yes Madam- the doctor and I have a number of names which keep recurring in this case.’

‘As do I, young man. I am certain I know the culprit. We must compare notes: I am sure you would not like to be beaten to the solution by one such as myself.’ She chortled.

The Austinville family members exchanged glances, observed by Rosetta.

‘Certainly Madam. We must compare notes as soon as possible.’ Rosetta looked at the doctor, intending to give her a meaningful glance, but was disconcerted to find her gazing at Harris.

Before the Austinvilles had finished breakfast, Campbell the footman arrived with great haste.

‘Begging your pardon Mrs Bellingham, but I have a letter for you. It is marked ‘urgent’.’ He handed it to her.

‘Sister!’ Mrs Bellingham clutched her throat. ‘It is from Pinch and Sowerberry, our solicitors in York. It says we must go at once to discuss the matter of our family’s inheritance. It mentions-‘ she paused, fanning herself with the table napkin. Harris quickly brought a glass of water.

‘Yes, go on?’ prompted Mrs Smart.

‘It mentions that there is another heir to the Austinville fortune. You and I, as senior members of the family, are to journey to York at once to make arrangements for the relation to receive his or her legacy.’

The other Austinvilles exchanged glances, different to the ones they had exchanged previously.

‘I suggest you take some servants with you as protection,’ said Rosetta. ‘These are dangerous times for your family and you cannot be too careful.’

‘Yes,’ agreed Watson Buckton. ‘You will have Jefferies the coachman, and why not Harris as well? I hear he has fought in the military and should be useful with a weapon.’

Harris gave a cough, which might have been a laugh.

‘Nonsense!’ exclaimed Mrs Bellingham. ‘Jefferies should be sufficient.’

‘No madam, I must disagree,’ said Harris. ‘I insist on accompanying you ladies, it is my duty.’ He bowed. ‘I will make arrangements with Jefferies forthwith.’

The Austinvilles had all congregated outside the front entrance to wave goodbye to Mrs Smart and Mrs Bellingham. The coach set off at a pace, with Mrs Bellingham gesticulating out of the window at Jefferies, who pulled his hat over his ears. Harris was next to him, surreptitiously smoking a cigar.

The coach disappeared quickly from view, and the Austinvilles slumped with relief.

‘Now, as senior member of the family, I propose-‘ but Hugo’s speech was interrupted by a loud bang.

The portico section of the front entrance collapsed suddenly, falling on the family members, who screamed and struggled to free themselves. Rosetta and Watson Buckton ran to help, because they had been standing to one side to observe the Austinvilles.

Xavier lay spread eagled across the steps, blood pouring from his head. Miss Freya ran screaming out of the house from where she had been watching him.

‘Xavier no!’ she shook him, but it was too late for him to be roused from the slumber of the dead.

‘Oh, my only brother!’ howled Hugo, rushing over. ‘You did not deserve this, you were the perfect brother!’

Rosetta and Watson Buckton exchanged sceptical glances.

‘Hugo!’ called Lady Rachel. ‘Please come over here at once.’ She bent over the still figure of Martha Holden-Austinville, and Hugo hurried over to them. His reaction was quite different. Tears poured from his eyes and he held his true love to his chest, heaving with emotion.

‘I shall get the scoundrel who did this!’ he seethed, leaping up and handing Martha to the waiting footman, Campbell. Hugo ran off towards the moor.

‘I’ll follow him, you stay here and help the wounded!’ Rosetta raced off after Hugo.

He caught up with him in a clearing and quickly hid behind a bush when he realised what was occurring.

Hugo was facing John Palmer, who looked terrified and guilty.

‘You blasted imbecile!’ roared Hugo, shaking Palmer by the shoulders. ‘That was not part of our plan!’

‘But- but- it was taking too long!’ faltered Palmer, trying to wriggle free. ‘It was imperative that we-‘

‘You killed my beloved! She gave meaning to my wretched life and now you have ruined it!’

‘But think of the money, dear son! It will make up for-‘

‘Money would never make up for the loss of my true love! Cursed be the day I found out you are my father!’

With that, Hugo drew a dagger from his sock and stabbed Palmer through the heart. The man fell down dead in an instant and Hugo sneered, twirling his moustache like the devil.

Suddenly there was a noise behind Rosetta, and he looked round. It was the doctor, catching her foot in a rabbit hole. He gestured to her to be quiet, but it was too late. Hugo appeared behind him.

‘So, you two little amateur sleuths? You were watching all along!’

‘We were,’ said Rosetta, trying to gain the upper hand.

‘How sad that you’ll never catch me.’ Hugo bounded forward like a cat, grabbed Watson Buckton, and held his dagger to her throat.

‘One move Rosetta and she will join my father in hell!’ He dragged her to his horse, threw her on it, and then mounted it himself. They rode off into the depths of the moor. Rosetta set off on foot after them.

I'm a bit fed up with this story so I'm going to finish it soon MWAH HA HA HA!

Dr Watson Buckton awoke to find herself tied firmly by the wrists and ankles in a crucifixion position. She immediately realised that she was no longer wearing her manly disguise but instead a flimsy nightgown. She shuddered to think by whom or how she had been re-dressed.

She felt woozy, obviously she had been drugged. She realised she was on the ground floor of a dimly lit building facing a balcony which was reached by an imposing staircase. Perhaps this was a room in a grand manor house somewhere as she did not recognise it.

On the balcony sat a figure in a hooded black cloak playing a church organ. She stared upwards at the scene trying to make sense of it.

The organ music was unfamiliar- it sounded as if it might come from an opera. It made Charlie think of a ghost- or phantom.

The figure at the organ suddenly ceased playing and turned round. It was Mr Hugo Austinville. With regret, Charlie remembered her kidnap earlier and all that had gone before.

‘Aha! My dear Miss Watson Buckton, you have awoken!’ exclaimed Austinville.

He leapt up and rushed down the staircase, his cloak flapping like black wings.

‘How fetching you look, my dear.’

He twirled his moustache with one hand and stroked Charlie’s silk clad shoulder with the other.

Charlie shuddered with repulsion.

‘Your lover Rosetta will never find you here!’ he jeered. ‘My plan will never be revealed, I will escape all retribution.’ He began laughing evilly again.

Suddenly there was an enormous crash, and Rosetta burst in through the window.

Without delay, Austinville whistled and a terrible howling was heard. The Hound came bounding down the stairs, growling and slavering. It headed straight for the detective, who stepped back in surprise.

He recovered quickly and unsheathed the sword from his walking stick. As the beast leapt into the air to attack, Rosetta held out the sword and the unfortunate ill treated creature fell straight onto it, dying instantly.

Austinville, however, was not so straightforward. He produced a revolver and shot wildly at Rosetta, who leapt for cover.

Charlie shrieked, rattling her bonds and trying to break them.

Rosetta produced his own revolver and shots echoed round the room as he and Austinville fired at each other.

Rosetta’s revolver suddenly jammed, and he leapt behind a convenient table, dodging Austinville’s shots. But luckily, as nineteenth century revolvers were not very sophisticated weapons, Austinville’s jammed too, and he threw it away.

‘Ha ha Rosetta! Think you can outfight me!’ he roared, and produced a sword.

Luckily Rosetta still had his trusty sword in his other hand and it was a match for the other blade.

The adversaries fought along the floor, up and down the staircase, back and forth across the room.

‘What made you think you could get away with this, Austinville?’ demanded Rosetta.

‘You are all such clot heads! You never would have guessed my plan, if it hadn’t been for my idiot of a father rushing headlong into it!’

‘What plan?’

‘You see, Miss Watson Buckton? Your lover is not as clever as he thinks!’

‘I am not her lover- I mean- tell me what your plan was!’

‘Never! I shall kill you and your lady, and the plan will continue as if nothing thwarted it!’

‘Look out! The Hound is still alive!’ shrieked Charlie, pointing.

The diversion was enough to make Austinville turn, and Rosetta took the advantage, stabbing him in the stomach.

‘You villain!’ he gasped, clutching his wound and falling to the floor.

‘You’re a fine one to talk!’ retorted the detective.

‘You can’t take my inheritance from me!’

‘What inheritance?’

‘The Austinville one. It is mine by rights!’

‘What are you talking about, man?’

‘I am the illegitimate son of Sir Alfred Stewart Austinville!’

‘But I thought John Palmer was your father?’

‘You cannot prove that. DNA testing has not been invented yet.’

‘True. But why did you call Palmer ‘father’?’

‘It was our plan you dolt head. I am Palmer’s son, but no one knows it. He had an affair with my mother when he was a servant at Austinville Hall and I was the result. Mr Austin adopted me after my mother was married off to him. Palmer made himself known to me and we hatched a plan to pretend I was Sir Alfred’s son to get our hands on the Austinville fortune. I am the most deserving of it! The others are milk sops, lily livered and mawkish. I am the only Austinville with fire in his belly and zeal in his blood. I was to pretend to be Sir Alfred’s son, then share the money with my idiot of a father, who ruined everything by murdering my beloved Martha-‘

‘-who would strengthen your claim to the fortune as she was a genuine Stewart-Austinville. I see.’

‘Oh- my life is fading, you scoundrel.’

‘Perhaps you had better let me see him, Sherlock,’ called Charlie.

‘Of course.’ Rosetta hastened over to her. ‘Thank God I found you!’ He flung his arms round her. ‘Who knows what this rogue would have done to you if I had not.’

She wished her arms were free so she could embrace him in return: would this frustration never end?

Rosetta suddenly realised he was a fully dressed Victorian man, pressed in an intimate position against a young lady in flimsy night attire.

‘Oh my dear Miss Botson- Miss Wuckton- oh dear- how insensitive of me.’

He backed away, blushing as red a as a beetroot. Producing a small knife from his sock, he cut Charlie’s bonds and she slumped into his arms.

‘Let me help you stand.’ He supported her towards the stricken Austinville, who was staring at Charlie with his eyes and mouth wide.

‘Control yourself, you-‘

‘She looks so beautiful-‘ muttered Austinville, then slumped to the side.

‘I’m too late,’ said Charlie mournfully.

‘Probably best he is dealt with by powers greater than here on earth,’ said Rosetta comfortingly.

After all the Austinville dead had been buried, Mrs Bellingham called the remaining family members and associates together. Sadly this only meant herself, Mrs Smart, Lady Rachel and Miss Ruby. And their guests Rosetta and Watson Buckton, who was now dressed appropriately as a lady.

‘Ladies and gentlemen,’ began Mrs. Bellingham. ‘My sister and I discovered the important news from our solicitors. But firstly I would like to thank Mr Harris and Mr Jefferies, who indeed had to preserve us from grave danger. Our coach had been sabotaged grievously and we came perilously close to riding off Blackscar cliff. It was only the military experience of Mr Harris and the sheer aggression of Mr Jefferies which saved us.’ She nodded at the rather battered looking servants in the corner.

‘So, Mrs Bellingham. What was the important news?’ asked Lady Rachel.

‘Ah yes my dear. This affects you. It transpires that your husband fathered a child. As there are no more direct hairs to the Austinville fortune, this child will inherit all.’ She nodded at Harris.

Harris ushered in Annie, the parlour maid, to gasps from Lady Rachel, Miss Ruby, Rosetta and Charlie.

‘My dear,’ said Mrs Smart. ‘Welcome to the Austinville family.’

Annie looked distinctly nervous, as well she might at the thought.

‘It seems very convenient that the heir is already at Austinville Hall,’ observed Rosetta.

‘It seems that Sir Tony arranged the job for Annie,’ said Mrs Bellingham. ‘I imagine she will need much tutoring in the ways of the aristocracy. Perhaps, Lady Rachel, you could assume that responsibility, as you have no children and are effectively her stepmother?’

‘Gladly,’ agreed Lady Rachel, smiling at Annie in a motherly way.

‘Miss Ruby, what are your plans?’ asked Mrs Bellingham. ‘I am very sorry your intended, Mr Xavier, is no longer with us.’

‘Poor dear,’ said Mrs Smart. ‘You must be devastated.’

‘Not really,’ said Ruby haughtily. ‘Mr Xavier had long been replaced in my affections by Geoff- er- I mean the footman, Campbell.’ She blushed.

Harris ushered Campbell in, and he and Ruby embraced passionately.

‘Oh! How- er- convenient,’ said Mrs Bellingham, nonplussed for once. ‘Er- so- Mr Rosetta, what are your plans now the case is solved? I note you could not solve it before a large number of our family members were murdered?’ she said acidly.

‘Madam,’ retorted Dr Watson Buckton. ‘Mr Rosetta singlehandedly prevented Hugo inheriting the entire Austinville fortune, so please bear that in mind.’

Rosetta tried to hide a smile, as Mrs Bellingham was silenced.

‘Dr Watson Buckton and I are returning to London forthwith to await our next request for detective work. Thank you for your hospitality, Lady Rachel,’ he nodded at her with a smile. ‘As a matter of fact, our coach is waiting as we speak.’

He and the doctor rose in unison and stepped towards the door. Harris opened it with an exaggerated flourish.

‘Madam,’ he said, bowing low over Watson Buckton’s hand and kissing it.

‘Sir,’ she replied. ‘Please do not act inappropriately. I am engaged to be married and hand kissing is no longer permitted.’

‘I do beg your pardon,’ said Harris, bowing even lower.

‘Quite,’ said Rosetta, giving him a cautioning look. He took Charlie’s hand, put it through his arm, and the couple walked contentedly together out of Austinville Hall.

*******THE END*******

Comments

Archived