Dying For You To Notice Me

Guest Georgia

Three cheers for me, here is another update :lol: Well, enjoy guys... I personally like this chapter... it's probably one of my favourite chapters (so far), and I hope you like it too. And thanks again for the reviews :D Give yourself a pat on the back from me :P

Chapter Eleven: Furniture Shopping

“Everyone deserves their own personal miracle... someone or something to brighten up the darkest days”

Aden ran his hand over yet another table, while I sat uncomfortably on an oddly shaped couch. We had been shopping for hours, and bought next to nothing. Aden seemed intent on finding perfection, and I had long since given up on helping him.

“Aden, can we go now? We’ve been here for over six hours”, I beg, looking at my wrist, and watching as another minute ticks by... a minute that’ll I’ll never get back

Even though I’m bored, and hungry, and tired, I still love watching Aden. His hands seem to caress the table top, and his eyes light up when they fall on something they like the look of. He doesn’t seem too sad for someone who has just broken up with the most perfect girl in the world, and for a second I wonder if this breakup isn’t as clean as he said it was.

It took a while for my words to register with him, but he finally turned away from the table, and took in my expression and body language.

“But we haven’t found the perfect table”, he defended himself, his arms crossed firmly across his chest

“Any one of the hundred other tables we’ve looked at would have been fine”, I retort, and I can't resist poking out my tongue

Aden smiled, and a laugh bubbled from his lips. I understood what people meant about laughter being contagious... as soon as Aden laughed, I started giggling as well

As quickly as the laughter had started, it stopped, and Aden’s face was suddenly serious.

“Look Belle... we’re only going to move into this house once, and I want it to be perfect. You deserve perfect”, he said quietly, making sure that none of the shop assistants could hear him

I could feel my eyes welling up with tears, and I smiled a watery smile. Aden wanted things to be perfect for me... didn’t he realize that just living with him was perfect, and anything on top of that was unnecessary?

I paused before I spoke, trying to word the sentence just right. “Aden, it doesn’t matter to me what furniture we have in the house. You’ve helped me so much already, and that’s more than I deserve. So let’s just choose some furniture, and put it in your house, so that we can get something to eat”

“Our house”, he whispered so quietly that I couldn’t be sure if that was what he really said

“Pardon?”

“It’s our house, not mine. I’ve had the house for ages, but I never wanted to move in until now. It’s our house... not mine”, he explains, his voice somewhat louder and more confident, but his eyes were trained on the floor

My hand itches to lift up his chin, to force him to look me in the eye, but I make myself stay stationary

I can’t remember the last time someone was this nice to me... it must have been when Irene let me move in with her. I don’t want to do anything to jeopardize Aden’s behavior, so I drop the subject.

“So this perfect table... what does it look like?” I asked, my tone light, and I was sure that my eyes were alight with laughter. All of my relationships had been adults. I wasn’t used to hanging around people my own age, and it made a nice change.

“Well, it has four legs, and it’s made out of wood”, Aden teased back, his eyes bright and a smile clear on his face

“This one has four legs”, I point out, throwing myself back into the shopping experience with even more enthusiasm than before

“Belle... the tabletop has flowers engraved in it”, he pouted, and then attempted to walk over to another table, but I reached out and grabbed him

“Aden, this table is beautiful. The label said it was hand-crafted, the wood is a lovely mahogany, and the artwork on the top has intricate petals and swirls. Tell me what’s wrong with this table”, I challenged, my eyes narrowing slightly, as I waited for his reaction.

“It’s got flowers on”, he repeated, “flowers are girly”

“So you’re worried about your sexuality? You think that if your table has flowers on it, you’ll be less of a man?” I questioned, disbelief clear in my voice, but I managed to maintain the teasing edge

“Get this table then”, he exclaimed, “nothing could make me doubt myself”

I laughed, and smiled to myself. It was surprisingly easy to manipulate Aden... soon enough we’d be finished with the shopping, and then it would be time for lunch!

Before long, we had selected all the furniture we needed, apart from the beds.

Aden seemed to be less intent on the pursuit of perfection, and more interested in talking to me.

As we lay side by side on one of the mattresses, I finally found the courage to ask the question that had been plaguing me since I had first laid eyes on Aden Jefferies

“What’s your biggest fear?” I asked softly, my hands shaking slightly from nerves, as I waited to hear the answer

“Turning into a coward... I don’t want to be like my father”, he whispered, after a short pause

I wanted to ask him about his father, but I sensed that it was a long story for another day

“What’s your biggest fear?” he asked me, his eyes staring straight at the ceiling, and his body barely moving

“Dying before I’ve had a chance to live”

Aden didn’t say anything else, but his hand reached for mine, and he squeezed it gently, reassuringly. In this one moment, everything was perfect, despite the fact that we were lying in a furniture store, or that he had an ex-girlfriend who may not be his ex...

I was lying on a bed, holding Aden Jefferies hand, and everything was perfect.

“For this one moment, everything is perfect. I don’t want to blink because as soon as I do, this perfect illusion is going to disappear, and I’ll be left with nothing”

Thank you for the reviews guys, I still love reading them. Hope you like this chapter...

Chapter Twelve: First Night

“I blinked, and the illusion was gone. I’m standing here, as the broken pieces of my heart flutter away”

I sat with my ear pressed to the door, listening to the conversation that was taking place in the hallway.

Nicole had come around on the pretense of a friendly visit, but she had stayed for hours, making meaningless small talk until I had gone to bed. Now the conversation was getting serious

“Aden, we need to talk about us. You just ended everything so quickly, and didn’t even give me a chance to fix the problem”, Nicole stated, her voice clear and confident, something that I would never be able to master

“Look Nicole, I’ve said everything I need to say. There’s no going back... not now”, Aden replied, his voice extremely close. I don’t know why they were having such an important conversation within my hearing distance, but I didn’t really care. This conversation was vital to me; I needed to know what was happening more than I needed oxygen

“Why did you break it off with me? We were great together, everyone knows that”, Nicole whispered, her voice taking on a more seductive, breathy whisper

“Nicole, it’s a high school relationship, it wouldn’t have lasted forever. We’re in year 12 and going to graduate soon... then you’ll be going to America to study fashion, and I’m going to be staying here. It wouldn’t work out”

“If anyone could make a long distance relationship work, it would be us”, Nicole retorted, obviously not ready to give up on this relationship... not without a fight

“Nic, you’re young and gorgeous, you can get any guy you want. A boyfriend in Australia would just be holding you back”, Aden said, his tone softening, and I felt bile rise up in my throat

“So you’re just doing this for my own good? You haven’t stopped loving me or anything?” Nicole asked, her voice suddenly sounding vulnerable, something I had never heard in her tone

“Of course I still love you, you beautiful, oversensitive girl, it’s just...” Aden began, but Nicole cut him off

“Well if you still love me, and I still love you, why does anything need to change?” Nicole demanded, her voice losing the intense vulnerability and hardening up so quickly that I thought I had imagined it

“I have feelings for someone else”, Aden whispered, and my heart beat sped up, my hands immediately sweating, as nerves overcame my body

“Belle?” she questioned, her voice disbelieving. The way she said my name made it sound like a swear word... a word that should never be uttered in front of anyone. “I don’t understand what the attraction is there. That girl is strange, a bag of bones... completely ugly. No one would want her”, Nicole spat

The bile rose into my mouth again, and I ran away from the door, into the bathroom, not wanting to hear anymore.

I didn’t hear the part of the conversation where Aden defended me, and told Nicole that she was jealous.

I didn’t hear the part where Nicole apologized, and admitted she was upset that their relationship was coming to an end

I didn’t hear Aden and Nicole hug goodbye for the last time, or hear Nicole leave the house.

I didn’t even hear Aden calling my name.

I was too busy sitting in the bathroom, clutching something so tightly in my right hand that my knuckles had gone white

Aden hadn’t thought to check through all my stuff, to see that I had brought in a razor, to shave my legs with.

But in this moment, when the pain was overwhelming, and all my insecurities had just been brought to Aden’s attention, a razor would do just fine.

I raised it to my wrist, ignoring the shaking of my hand. I wanted to make the cut, to let the blood flow... to let the pain escape.

But then the thoughts of Aden flew into my head, how he had been so nice to me over the last few days, letting me move in with him, buying me furniture... saving my life.

Just as quickly, Nicole’s words covered those thoughts, and I was left hating myself yet again. After all, I was just ugly... a bag of bones... no one would want me.

My hand slowly stopped shaking, and dropped down towards my wrist.

One word was enough to snap me from my trance.

“Belle?” Aden’s voice cut through my thoughts, and I heard myself calling back to him, telling him that I was in the bathroom, that he needed to come quick.

Before I knew it, he was sitting next to me.

“Belle, please let go of the razor”, he said calmly, trying not to startle me. “You don’t want to do this”

For one brief second, I contemplate cutting myself in front of him. That will push him away for good, make him hate me, make him wish I was never born.

My grip tightened, and I could feel the temptation calling to me. A few quick cuts and everything would be over. It would be quicker this time, I was sure of it.

“Belle, please”, he begged, his voice cracking in the middle of his words

It was in that moment that I realized that Aden Jefferies truly cared for me. It wasn’t the same way I cared for him... he didn’t love me, but he thought of me as a friend

By hurting myself I would hurt him, so I opened my hand, and let the razor fall to the floor.

I watched as Aden pushed it away, and heard as it hit the bathroom wall. I felt Aden pull me into his arms, and stroke my hair while I cried

The tears were another way of letting the pain escape my body... a softer, less dramatic, less painful way.

“Thank you”, I whispered softly in his ear, before the tears grew louder, and I couldn’t speak, let alone hear anything.

“I think I’m falling in love with you”, he replied, but I was well past understanding words by this stage. Everything just came out as a messed up mumble.

“Put on some glasses... the illusion might just come back. Beauty, and therefore perfection, is in the eye of the beholder”

Ok, you four amazing people that reviewed... because your special, and I love reading your comments, you can have another update. Gosh, I'm generous :lol:

Chapter Thirteen: Eyes Open

“Everyone needs a little help sometimes”

I rolled over and stretched. Last night had been an extremely long night, and Aden had refused to let me out of his sight, even making me sleep in his bed so that he could watch me all night

That had its up sides though. I had never imagined being this close to Aden Jefferies before, and it was so much better than the stupid little dreams I used to have

“You awake yet?” he whispered, and I debated pretending I was asleep, just to spend more time next to him

“You have a therapist’s appointment in about an hour”, he said, slightly louder, pulling me from my thoughts, and causing me to sit up straight

“Do I have to go?” I whinge, secretly cursing Irene for making the appointment so early in the morning

Aden doesn’t reply, but glares at me, quickly jumping out of the bed, and ripping off the covers

I quickly try to cover myself, despite the fact that my t-shirt stretches to my knees, and I’m wearing pajama bottoms.

“Oh god, I’m so sorry”, he apologizes, clicking that I hate the way I look, partly because I’m trying to cover myself, and partly because my eyes are prickling, a sure sign that tears are on the way

“It’s ok”, I whisper, even though I’m falling apart on the inside. He would hate me now that he had actually seen me... the ugliness that greeted him was sure to repulse him, as well as the fact that I was crying, yet again

“No it’s not... nothing about this is ok,” he fumes, and I feel even worse. I think he’s about to kick me out of the house...

“I’m standing here looking at the most beautiful woman I’ve ever met, and she thinks she’s hideous... and what’s worse is that I think I’m falling in love with this woman”

I immediately turn my head to find the woman Aden is talking about, and this seems to make him sad

He kneels on the bed, and places his hand under my chin, tilting my face up.

“It’s you”, he whispers, and lowers his lips towards mine, slowly, hesitantly. I can feel his breath mingling with mine, and I want nothing more for our lips to touch... to feel that amazing, engulfing electricity.

But I pull away and turn my head, because he deserves better. He deserves someone who is mentally stable... a person who won’t try and kill themselves... he deserves the whole world, and right now, I can’t even give a piece of it

I can see the hurt look in his eyes, and he quickly pulls away his hand, turning away from me so that he can hide what he is truly feeling.

He probably isn’t used to girls rejecting him. Any girl at our school would do anything to touch her lips to his, even if it was only for a couple of seconds

“You don’t understand...” I tell him, desperate to explain how I’m feeling

“That’s alright Belle, you don’t have to let me down easy. I’m a big boy, I can handle rejection”, he says quietly, his back still facing me

“Aden Jefferies, I wasn’t rejecting you. I’ve had a huge crush on you forever... I’ve dreamed about kissing you for so long, but you deserve better. You deserve the whole world, and right now, I can’t give that to you”, I explain, my eyes cast down to the bed spread, suddenly finding an interest in the pale blue material

“You can give me everything I need Belle”, he whispers, and I instinctively turn my face around to find his.

He’s right in front of me, and I lose my train of thought. He’s there, and he’s perfect, and I need him...

“I think I’m falling in love with you”, he repeats, and my heart pounds a lot faster. It’s a dream come true, to be sitting on a bed next to Aden Jefferies, and having him share his feelings with me

“Ditto”, I whisper, not trusting my voice to last longer than one word

Once again, Aden’s lips move towards mine, and this time I don’t pull away. I want nothing more than to kiss him, to connect to him...

His lips are soft, and my whole body tingles. It’s perfect, and I never want to let him go. Eventually, he pulls away to breathe, but keeps a firm grip on my hand

“What does this mean?” I question, not sure if this was just something to cheer me up, or if Aden really liked me

“It means that I want you to be my girlfriend”, he says quietly, looking me right in the eyes, as my face breaks into a huge smile

A small part of me remembers that just a couple of days ago Aden had a girlfriend. That part of me asks the next question.

“What about Nicole?”

Aden chooses his words carefully. I can practically hear him thinking.

“Nicole was great... and I loved her... but she wasn’t right for me. She would have moved away at the end of the year, and long distance relationships don’t work. Plus, there were times when I felt like I didn’t know her anymore”

“Thank you”, I whisper, gratefully that he has shared his thoughts with me. Aden nods, not needing anymore words to understand what I meant

“Let’s get you to your therapist’s appointment”, he reminds me, pulling me to my feet, and pushing me to the bathroom

“It’s too early”, I grumble, wanting to stay with Aden instead of being stuck in an office with someone I didn’t know

“If you don’t complain about it again, we’ll go somewhere special for lunch”

“I’m vegetarian”, I tell him, and a smile lights up his face

“I should have known. You seem like someone who always has to have a cause, a mission”, he laughs, still guiding me into the bathroom. “How about I pack us a picnic, and I’ll take you to my favourite spot?”

“It sounds perfect”, I say softly, smiling up at him, thanking my lucky stars for the miracle standing in front of me

“It is perfect... just like you”

“You need glasses”, I tease, which causes him to frown, showing off a tiny crease between his eyebrows

I put my hand to his forehead and stroke out the little crease, before placing a kiss on his cheek and walking into the bathroom

As soon as the door is shut, I slide down it... still unsure about what had just happened. Somehow I had ended up with Aden Jefferies as a boyfriend, and I didn’t want to question it.

Chapter Fourteen: The Talk

Dedicated to Elainea, my best friend, and Bec, the angel in my life

“Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we care about leaves, but the truth is it’s not our loss, it’s theirs, as they just left the only person in the world who would never give up on them” – Unknown

I sit nervously on the bench overlooking the whole of Summer Bay, waiting for Aden to unload the car. The therapist’s appointment went as well as could be expected, but he said something that I can’t get out of my head... and now it was threatening to ruin my picnic with Aden

“Belle, what’s wrong?” Aden asks, for the seventeenth time since we’ve arrived at his favourite spot

“It’s just something the therapist said... we can talk about it when we’re eating”, I reply, the same answer I’ve given the last sixteen times he asked

“I’ll hold you to that”, he says, and I smile slightly. At least I have someone who cares enough about me to ask seventeen times what’s wrong, even when he doesn’t get a proper answer

However, soon enough everything is unloaded, and he’s sitting down next to me, waiting expectantly for the answer I promised him

“He said that we should be completely open before we get into this relationship”, I explained, and from Aden’s sharp intake of breath, I knew he understood what I meant.

Family issues, ex-girlfriends, secrets... everything that had happened to us needed to be shared. My therapist didn’t think it was a good idea for me to be in a relationship with secrets that might drag my down, or hurt me when I was making a recovery

“We don’t have to if you don’t want to, after all, what does my therapist know?” I rambled, wishing I had never brought the subject up. Aden and I had only been going out for a few hours, and I already wanted to know everything about him

“If your therapist thinks it’s a good idea, then so do I. I want you to get better Belle”, Aden said, grabbing my hand and squeezing softly.

Once again, I remember just how lucky I am to have Aden Jefferies with me. I haven’t done anything to deserve him, but he’s still here, holding my hand.

“Well, my family life was pretty boring”, he began, “my mum left my dad, and it was just me and my three brothers, until my granddad came to stay. My dad was a drunk, and my granddad was just like that. He used to hit me, and when he was extremely drunk, he used to come into my room at night”, Aden trailed off, and I quickly threw my arms around him, squeezing him tight.

I knew what he meant about the physical abuse, as my dad hadn’t been afraid to hit me, but I had no experience with sexual abuse. My heart immediately went out to him

“I am so sorry”, I whispered in his ear

“It’s ok. I grew up, and got therapy, and I don’t think about it anymore. You can always overcome a bad past... it’s the present and the future you have to worry about” he said, before pulling back and looking me in the eye, indicating that it was my turn to share

“I had a dad who was abusive. He used to hit my mum, and then hit me. It went on for years, and I had a lot of broken bones. Eventually, someone realized what was going on, and dad went to jail. Mum couldn’t take care of me, so I was put in a foster home, and one day, Irene took me home... the rest is history”

This time, Aden comforted me, and I loved the feeling of being in his arms. There was nothing else like it, it made me feel safe and treasured, and I never wanted to give that feeling up

“What made you start cutting yourself?” Aden whispers and I settle down to tell the story. Aden deserves to know everything before he gets involved with someone as messed up as me

“I hated myself... I hated life. I thought it was my fault, that my dad did those things because of me. I felt invisible; I had no one to talk to... I had nothing to live for,” I explain, leaving out the part involving my giant crush on him

“Promise me you’ll never do it again”, he begs, and for a brief second, I can imagine Aden having to stop the bleeding... I can picture him hating himself for not getting there sooner

So I promise, despite the fact that I shouldn’t, as anything could happen tomorrow, and make me hate myself all over again

“Is there anything else you need to know?” Aden asks, ready to answer any question I throw at him, to help me in any way that he can

“I need to know about your past relationships”, I whisper, already dreading what is about to come

“I already told you about Nicole”, Aden reminds me, puzzled about my question

“The physical side”, I say simply, and keep my eyes on the picnic rug, listening to the thump of my heart. I don’t want to hear about Aden and Nicole, but I have to know, before I get myself invested anymore

“We were together for a year”, Aden said, and if I didn’t know him better, then I would say he was avoiding the question

“Is that your way of saying you slept together?” I ask my eyes firmly on the ground. I’m not mad at him for sleeping with her, after all, they were in a relationship, but it makes me sick to think about it

“Yes”, he whispers, and I look up at his face. He seems ashamed at admitting this, almost embarrassed

“Are you embarrassed?” I question... it’s a look you don’t see on Aden’s face very often

“At the time I wasn’t, but it seems weird to be sharing it with you. I’m not ashamed about sleeping with Nicole, as we were in love at the time, but I don’t want to think about that now that I’m with you”, he explains, before leaning in and kissing me lightly on the lips

When he pulled away, he carried on with the conversation. “What about you’re past relationships?”

“I haven’t had any”, I say quietly, upset all over again because no man has ever wanted to be with me

Aden seems to sense that this is a sensitive topic, and pulls me into his arms, hugging me tightly

“It’s their loss then. You are the most amazing woman I have ever met, and any man would be lucky to have you”, he whispered in my ear, glossing over the fact I had just shared with him

“Let’s enjoy the picnic”, I said smiling happily at his comment, not wanting to talk anymore about the past, and Nicole. I just wanted to enjoy some time with the man I loved.

Thank you for the reviews... there aren't that many more chapters, and they are all written... so expect daily updates :D

Chapter Fifteen: The Green Eyed Monster

I smooth my dress down across my body, and wait nervously for Aden to pick me up. Tonight is the night of the prom, and he insisted on going to Geoff’s to get ready, so that he’d be able to pick me up like any other man would

We’d been going out for a couple of months now, and everything was going perfectly. Nicole hadn’t been in our lives much, just an occasional glimpse of her while walking through the school corridors.

Therapy had been going well, and I was now more comfortable in my own skin. It helped that school was getting better now; I was more accepted now that I was with Aden.

The honk from downstairs alerted me to the fact that my date had finally arrived. I still got a thrill from calling Aden my date, or even better, my boyfriend. I don’t think the novelty will ever wear off.

I rush down the stairs, making sure that I don’t fall over. I’m still not used to wearing heels, I feel constantly unbalanced, which is something that I hate. I want to be completely in control of my life now, figuratively and literally

I swing open the door, and Aden is standing there, looking like a model in his suit and tie. For a brief second, I forget to breathe, and just stand there taking him in... reminding myself that by some lucky chance, he’s mine

“You look beautiful”, he whispers, and reaches for my hand, walking me to the limousine. “Just thought I’d warn you... Geoff’s date for tonight is Nicole”

Once again, I forget to breathe. Nicole being here would ruin everything. She would look down her nose at me, and judge me, and accuse me of taking her leftovers. This night was supposed to be perfect, and with her there, it wouldn’t be.

“Relax”, Aden told me, “tonight will still be amazing. You look beautiful, and we’re together, so everything else can be dealt with”

“I love you”, I tell him, the first time I’ve actually said that sentence without words like ‘think’ or ‘falling’ in there

I can tell Aden likes it, as a giant smile lights up his face, and he quickly but passionately kisses me on the lips. “I love you too”, he whispers, as soon as he pulls away.

I can feel the smile on my face grow larger and larger, and I let Aden lead me into the limousine.

Nothing can ruin my night... Aden Jefferies loves me. It doesn’t bother me that Nicole looks down her nose at me, or tries to upset me. It doesn’t bother me when Geoff makes stupid comments about things he doesn’t understand, because the most amazing man in the world loves me

When we get to the formal, Geoff escorts Nicole out of the car, and whisks her into the building. Aden and I walk in more slowly, savoring the feeling of the gentle wind against our cheeks, and I smile as I feel him put his hand around my waist.

Eventually we walk inside, and Aden treats me like a fairytale princess, catering to my every wish.

As soon as I think about dancing, we’re already on the floor. When I look around for food, Aden’s already grabbed me some. When I’m tired, we’re already sitting back at the table

“You’re making this night magical”, I whisper in his ear, thrilled at the way the night has turned out

“Well, I need to show my perfect girlfriend that I love her”

I feel like melting. No one has ever been this kind to me, and I’m still not really used to it.

“Well, look who it is. Cinderella got to come to the ball”, someone says harshly, and I don’t even need to look up to tell that it’s Nicole

When I do look up, I feel physically sick. In the limo, I was so happy I didn’t really notice Nicole, but now, I can see her outfit. She looks astonishing.

Her dress is a sky blue, backless, with a slit in the thigh. Most people would look like prostitutes in that dress, but Nicole pulled it off amazingly

I reassure myself that Aden loves me that he doesn’t want Nicole anymore, but I fail dismally. Nicole seems to notice my sudden change in mood, and plays on it for all it’s worth.

“Excuse me Belle, I’m just going to borrow your boyfriend for a minute”, she says smoothly, and before I have a chance to say no, she’s grabbed onto his arm and pulled him away

I feel like crying, and leaving the prom, but I force myself to stay in my seat. Aden has given me a couple of amazing months, and I’d always be thankful for that. Deep down, I had known that Aden and I wouldn’t last forever... after all; he could do much better than me

I’m surprised to realize that I don’t want to run home and hurt myself. Even if Aden doesn’t want to be with me anymore, I promised him that I would never cut myself again.

I’m about to get up and walk outside to get some fresh air, when I hear Aden’s voice.

“Where do you think you’re going?” he questions, placing his hand on my elbow

“Outside to get some air”, I whisper, not looking him in the face, desperate to get outside. I may be ok about Aden leaving me in theory, but I don’t want to have to look at him

“Can I come with you?”

Once again, I wonder if Aden enjoys messing with my heart, but I don’t feel like asking him. I just want to go home, but I can’t escape him there either. I had never thought about this before, but if things ended between us, I would need to find a new house

“Aden, you don’t have to let me down gently” I say, quoting the words he used to me after I pulled away from what would have been our first kiss

“What do you mean?”

“You and Nicole are getting back together. That’s fine, I get it. She’s amazing, and beautiful, and it makes sense for you two to be together. Just don’t come over here and try and apologize. I won’t go and hurt myself; I made a promise to you. Please... if you want to leave, just leave” I rant, my voice starting off strong, but trailing off to sound like I was begging him to put me out of my misery.

“You think I’m dumping you?” he asked, and for a brief second, I thought I could see laughter in his eyes

“Yes. It never made sense for us to be together. You and Nicole will be very happy together”, I say politely, and turn to walk away, but Aden’s hand is on my elbow again, pulling me back

“Belle... I’m not dumping you”

“Then what happened with Nicole?” I ask, my eyes meeting his for the first time since this conversation had begun

“She dragged me over there to say that she wanted to get back together, and when I said no, she started trashing you, so I left. I don’t need anyone telling me that it’s wrong to love you when it most definitely isn’t”

I can feel my eyes fill with tears, and I frantically blink them back, not wanting them to ruin my make-up

Aden smiles at me, and leads me to the dance floor, pulling me tightly to his body. After a few slow turns, he puts his head towards my ear, opening his mouth to speak to me.

“You were jealous of me and Nicole”, he whispers, and I scowl, fully expecting him to say that he loves me, or other sweet little messages of affection

“I wasn’t jealous” I whisper back, even though a huge part of me was longing to switch places with Nicole so that I could stay with the man I love

“You have nothing to be jealous of”, he reassures me, and I smile softly.

Aden kisses my lips softly, and we continue dancing the night away. I wonder, for a brief second, if Aden knows just how much he means to me...

But for now, I just enjoy being with him, having him hold me in his arms and to me...

Things couldn't be more perfect.

Here is chapter 16, and then there's chapter 17... and then the epilogue :D Thank you for the reviews guys, enjoy

Chapter Sixteen: High School is finished

This is it... the beginning of the rest of our lives. The school captains have given their speech about this not being the end, but the beginning, and for once, I pretty much agree with them.

School has been a part of our lives for so long, and now that it’s over, I realize that it wasn’t everything. It was just a starting point, a mold, to turn us into the people we are supposed to be.

I had always imagined high school as the end of life. I had never pictured a life out of school, but now it was here, I knew better.

Aden and I were just beginning our lives, and hopefully we’d end them together as well. He’s everything I want, and I can’t imagine that changing anytime soon.

And now it’s time for the part where they call out our names, so that we can walk up onto the stage and shake hands with the principal... desperate not to fall up the stairs and embarrass yourself in front of everyone.

The graduating class is small. Summer Bay is a small town, and not many kids made it this far with their education. I turn around and smile at Aden, already annoyed at the alphabetical order that is keeping me away from the most amazing man in the world

My name is called, and I get up to a spattering of applause. It’s not as loud as certain other people, but I don’t care, because Aden stands up and screams congratulations. My heart swells with pride, and once again, I remember just how lucky I am to have someone as wonderful as Aden Jefferies loving me

I walk up the stairs, shake hands with the principal, and walk down again, without falling flat on my face. I sit in my seat, literally shaking with anticipation. Aden’s name will be coming soon, and he’ll have to stay on the stage, to give a speech. He graduated as first of our class, and is supposed to inspire everyone else.

By the time everyone has been called, and the noise has calmed down, Aden steps up to begin his speech.

“School was an escape for me”, he began, his voice deep and calm, the perfect speaking voice. “I didn’t have the easiest childhood, and school was a way to escape the fact that I couldn’t control what was happening to me. So I studied, and made friends, and I finally found a place where I was just like anyone else. No one cared if my dad made less money, or if he drunk more than other dads”, Aden trailed off, and looked at me for reassurance.

I hadn’t heard his speech before, and I could feel the tears well up in my eyes. It was so brave of him to use his own personal story to let everyone know that school was something different, something important to every single person

Aden smiled softly at me before continuing his speech. I returned the smile, and settled down to listen to the rest of his speech

“High school was harder than the rest of it. Everyone overcompensates to make people like them... I threw myself into sports, and photography, and studying. I had a beautiful girlfriend and people liked me, but I realized that it didn’t make be a better person, and it wouldn’t help me with the future. Then I met this one girl, who didn’t fit in with the other “cool” people at school. I didn’t even know her name, and I upset her over and over again. I won’t go into details, but one night made me realize just how much she meant to me. Someone once told me that you can pinpoint the moment love ends, but never when it begins, and I believe them. I never noticed that I was falling in love with Belle Taylor until it was too late”

I felt my face blush a ruby red, but everyone was so engrossed in his speech that they didn’t turn around to look at me.

“All that stuff I thought was important in high school wasn’t. It may be nice to be popular, or do a lot of sports, but at the end of the day... everyone takes something different out of high school. It was a haven for me, and the place where I met the love of my life. When you find what high school is for you, embrace it. Don’t let anyone tear down your dreams”

Aden finished to a huge round of applause, and did a little bow, before walking down the stage, and taking his seat.

And that was it.

After being at school for such a long time, everything is over...

No more early starts, or late finishes, because you have to stay to complete an assignment.

Even though this was just the beginning for me, I was still sad. One part of my life was over... the part where I got to be a child, and not responsible for my entire life. School may have just been a mold, but it was also a safety net... the place where I could pretend to have everything I wanted

But now that I have Aden, I don’t need a safety net, and I don’t need to pretend... he is everything I want, everything I need, and I want to spend the rest of my life with him.

Thanks for the reviews :D

Chapter Seventeen: The Beginning of the Rest of Our Lives

Belle’s POV:

The suitcase is packed, and standing by the door. All of Aden’s belongings are packed up; there are no personal touches in this house anymore. He’s leaving, and he’s not coming back.

He’s going to Tasmania on a grant, to take amazing photographs for a nature magazine. Then he’s going to be traveling around the world, taking more amazing photographs of the world’s greatest sights. He’s going to be famous...

But his new glamorous life doesn’t have a place for me, so I have to sit next to him on the couch, and say goodbye without showing him that I’m dying inside.

“I’ll call you everyday”, he promises, his voice serious, but his eyes alight with a passion for the career that he’s about to embark on

“I know you will”, I lie, forcing a smile onto my face. He won’t call me. There’ll be beautiful girls wherever he goes, and a lot of them will want a piece of Aden. He won’t remember me, sitting at home, pining for him

“I’ll send postcards, and photographs, and you can come and join me as soon as you get the money”, Aden whispers, the passion in his eyes fading. The company gave him one ticket, and I didn’t have enough money to buy one.

“I hate this”, he yells suddenly, and jumps off the couch, moving restlessly through the nearly empty house. He doesn’t want to leave me... he loves me, I can see that... but feelings fade away over time

“Aden, this is your opportunity to make something of your life. I’m sure I’ll be able to save the money really quickly... nothing can keep us apart”, I reassure him, and for one brief second, I almost believe myself

“I’ll help you save. My wages will go towards your ticket”, he vows, but I know as well as he does that he won’t be getting paid for a long time. Amateur photographers live just for the traveling, not the pay.

“Of course”, I reply, trying to keep up this desperate act that we have going on

I love him... more than life itself. He’s my everything, and if he needs to go, I’ll let him, without showing him how much it hurts. I’ll sacrifice my own happiness for his opportunity, even though I know – deep down- that life will never be this perfect again, and I’ll probably never see Aden Jefferies again

“I love you”, he whispers, his voice clogged with emotion

I don’t reply, but stay seated on the couch, staring at him, with a soft smile on my face. I’m waiting for the knock on the door... the one that will make him leave, and think that everything is ok

And there it is... a loud knock. Aden rushes to the door, and swings it opens, to reveal Irene standing there with a look of joy on her face. Aden’s face crumples up into confusion. Only I can see that Irene’s joy is a mask... a convincing one, but a mask none the less

“Girlie, I got good news”, she called, and rushed in to see me, kneeling in front of the couch. Her eyes are full of sympathy, and respect... she knows what I’m doing, and how hard it is for me to actually do it

“I managed to collect enough money for your ticket!” she crows, and hands me an envelope. “I’ll leave you two crazy kids to celebrate!” with those last words, she is gone, and Aden looks over at me, the passion back in his eyes

“We’re going to be together”, he yells, and runs to the couch, pulling me into his arms. I push the looming separation to the back of my mind, and try to memorize the feeling of being in his arms.

Aden doesn’t realize that when he leaves this house, we’ll probably never see each other again. He thinks that the envelope contains a ticket, but it doesn’t... it’s an empty envelope, to match my empty heart.

I may be deceiving him, but it’s for his own good. He wants this job... needs this job... and I don’t want to stand in the way.

“I love you”, I whisper softly, so quietly that I’m sure he doesn’t even hear.

He kisses me softly on the lips, and then more passionately, before placing me softly on the ground.

“My flight is in a few hours”, he reminds me, and I can feel tears prick my eyes

“Let me just nip to the bathroom”, I hear myself say, “and then we can say goodbye.” I don’t wait for his answer, but run upstairs. I lock myself in the bathroom, and wipe away the tears that are streaming down my face.

I need to lock away my emotions, and concentrate on Aden. He has given me so much, and he deserves this job. He deserves a reward

I slowly walk back down the stairs, and force a smile onto my face. He’s the love of my life, and I love him enough to let him go.

“Have a safe flight”, I whisper, when I’m safe in his arms again

“I will”, he reassures me, and a small smile lights up his face

“I love you Aden Jefferies”, I say, for the last time ever... allowing myself one small slip, despite the fact that it will hurt me more later

“I love you too, more than you’ll ever know”, he whispered, and kissed me one last time, before walking out of the door and out of my life.

Aden’s POV

I thought I was helping Belle... I thought I was teaching her about love and life, but the whole time, she was teaching me.

I opened the envelope... I wanted to see when she’d be coming to join me. I hated to think about leaving her, even for a couple of days. She’s the love of my life

There was no ticket, just a small piece of paper with Irene’s hand writing on it.

You’re being very brave darl; it shows how much you love Aden to sacrifice your happiness so that he can take this job

So I said goodbye, and walked out of the door for the last time ever.

I’d just left the love of my life behind.

--- Runs and hides ---

(oh by the way, your lucky I didn't kill Aden... I was really tempted for some unknown reason!)

Thank you guys for the reviews through out the story, I've loved reading them all. I'd like to say a huge thanks to the people who reviewed every single chapter, and Bec as well, for proof reading this story. I hope you've had as much fun reading it as I have writing it :D

Epilogue: Three Years Later

Summer Bay isn’t the same without him, even after three years. Our contact faded about six months ago, and my life doesn’t make sense anymore

I don’t even have a piece of him with me; all I have is memories, and an empty hole in my chest where my heart should be

It’s a daily struggle for me now... I want to call him and beg him to come home, to say that it was stupid of him to leave, but I can’t.

I remind myself of the reasons why I let him go: he deserves better than a life in Summer Bay

And then I force myself to think that he might be with someone else, and be truly happy. After all, he’s an amazing guy, and he has the right to be happy

In the last three years, despite all the pain, I haven’t touched a scalpel, or a razor. I promised him that I wouldn’t hurt myself, and I don’t want to break that promise. Aden gave me a new shot, a new outlook, on life, and just because he’s gone, I don’t have to revert to the old way

I trudge the familiar path to the diner. It’s the morning shift, and I have to be there ten minutes early, to turn on the coffee machine, and turn over all the chairs.

I’m the first one there. I walk in, and start doing the small, menial jobs, immersing myself in the process so I don’t have to think about how empty my life is

I hear footsteps in front of me, so I search for my polite tone. “Sorry, but we aren’t actually open yet”, I say softly, before lifting me head to send an apologetic smile to the customer.

As my eyes meet his, five completely random facts enter my head.

1. I haven’t eaten breakfast this morning

That’s why my stomach is feeling all fluttery, and I feel sick. I always get that way when I haven’t eaten breakfast. It’s a fact of life for me

2. The lightest possible shade of blue is my favourite color

It’s the color of Aden’s eyes, and my heart beats a little faster picturing his eyes. They were so full of expression and the phrase “eyes are the window to the soul” makes perfect sense when you look at him

3. I haven’t shaved my legs

I’m wearing shorts that stretch midway down my thigh, but I haven’t shaved my legs since last week. I never really paid attention the small details like that, after all, no one ever notices it, but now I can feel each individual hair on my leg clambering for attention

4. I can’t remember the last time I’ve kissed anyone

Of course I know it was Aden, and three years is a long time to go without a kiss... but I can’t remember our last kiss. I know it was when he left, but I can’t remember the details. Was it soft, or was it passionate? Was it a peck, or was it a take my breath away kind of kiss? Why can’t I remember the most important moment of my life?

5. I’m seeing things

I think I must have officially lost the plot, because the person that is standing in front of me cannot be standing in front of me. It is an impossibility... it just it. He would have called to tell me, but he didn’t... so I’m seeing things.

I blink, but the person standing in front of me doesn’t disappear.

For the first time in three years, I’m standing in front of Aden Jefferies, and I can feel my chest swell... I can finally feel my heart again

“I love you”, he whispers, and I don’t have to say anything. The moment is perfect as it is.

“Once upon a time, I almost killed myself because the most amazing man in the world didn’t notice me. But then, life happened, and he changed me... and he became a part of me, forever.” - Belle Taylor

Comments

Archived