How Could This Happen To Me?

Guest Georgia

Story title: How could this happen to me?

Type of story: One shot

Main characters: Belle

BTTB rating: T

Genre: Song fic

Spoilers: None at all – not anymore

Warnings: Nope

Summary: Written from Belle's POV. What was her last day like for her ?

Dedication: This is dedicated to Bec (matticus), as she was the first one to read my first ever attempt at a song fic. Please review guys, so I can improve

I open my eyes

I try to see but I’m blinded by the white light.

Death had never scared me. I’m twenty-two years old, and even though I’ve had near misses, the end always seemed so far away. But now, it’s so terrifyingly close, and I don’t know how to escape. I can feel the sensations around me, but I’m powerless to come back to the world. Aden’s arms are around me, clenched tight, and his tears are rolling down his cheeks and dripping onto my face. The tears sadden me. The handsome prince in the fairytales isn’t supposed to cry. Aden’s my prince, so why is he crying?

I can’t remember how, I can’t remember why,

I’m lying here tonight.

Something had drawn me back to Irene’s house for that one night, for a full circle. And now, I have no idea what’s going on. I can feel Aden’s arms holding me up, I can feel the wind blowing through my hair, from the window I asked Aden to leave open. I can hear his sobs; I can feel his tears burning me. His pain is my pain, and mine is his. But why don’t I know what this pain is about?

How could this happen to me? I’ve made my mistakes

Got nowhere to run, the night goes on

As I’m fading away, I’m sick of this life

I just wanna scream, how could this happen to me?

And it dawns on me. I’m dying. I’m dying in Aden Jeffries arms, in my bed, but it doesn’t make sense. I’m twenty-two years old, and I just got married. I have a baby growing inside of me, a baby that I only found out about today. A baby that Aden doesn’t even know about yet. I’m not supposed to die from this, not now. I’m supposed to find a way to beat this, to hold on for seven months, so that they can deliver the baby safely. And then, after our baby is born, I can die, because Aden will have something. But not now. I’m not supposed to die like this. Why is this happening to me?

Everybody’s screaming

I try to make a sound but no one hears me

Aden’s sobs alert someone else to the situation. Everyone comes rushing, everyone is crying, but no one stops to help me. They all believe I’m gone, lost to the world, but I can hear their pain, I can feel their pain. I can make it stop, I just need some help. Someone to take a chance, to stop their tears from flowing and to save me. I want to wake up, but I can’t.

I’m slipping off the edge; I’m hanging by a thread

I wanna start this over again

And then the sounds dim. I can’t hear the sobs; I can’t feel Aden’s arms. Everything fades away, and I’m sitting in a boat on the ocean. I’m wearing my wedding dress, but all I can see is the water. There’s light surrounding everything else, making it foggy. But on either side of the ocean, the fog clears, and I can see people standing there. My boat is drifting forwards.

So I try to hold onto a time when nothing mattered

And I can’t explain what happened

And I can’t erase the things that I’ve done

No I can’t

My boat is drifting forwards, but the people on that side have disappeared. I’m drifting towards nothing, and I look back. There are people on that side. Aden, in his wedding suit, Irene, Geoff, Annie, Nicole, Amanda, Ryan... the list goes on. They are all beckoning to me, and I want nothing more than to go back to them, but my boat won’t turn around.

How could this happen to me? I’ve made my mistakes

Got nowhere to run, the night goes on

As I’m fading away, I’m sick of this life

I just wanna scream, how could this happen to me?

I try and get out of the boat, to go back to Aden, but it won’t let me. The people start to fade away, and the fog clouds over them. Aden is starting to disappear, and I can’t get back to him. My fairytale is ending, my prince is vanishing. My boat pulls up to the shore, and I clamber back, looking for a last view. Everything has faded away, out of my sight. It’s me and my little baby, inside my stomach. It’s us against the world, the world that has banished us.

I try to make a sound but no one hears me

At twenty-two years old, I was never afraid of death. It seemed so far away, like a distant nightmare, one I wouldn’t have to worry about until I was much older. But then it claimed me, and I realised that I should have been afraid, because it had been waiting impatiently for the day when I would have the most to lose. It took me away from my husband, my family. It took me away from everything I ever loved.

I’ve faded away....

Comments

Archived