His Life, Her Life, Theirs Combined

Guest LauraPhilly!!

This chapter is for Georgia (H&Aaddict) for waiting patiently for this update for the last few days!

Hope it was worth the wait Georgia! :)

Chapter 11

The sun was shining.

The waves were crashing in the ocean.

The gulls were flying overhead.

All these came briefly to Rebecca's mind as she walked down to the beach, the end of her dress flapping in the wind.

Walking up to the water, she closed her eyes and completely relaxed as she felt the warm water run through her toes.

She could feel the warmth of the sun against her face, she could see it brightness even though her eyes were closed.

She would miss it.

Sighing, she opened her eyes and turned to see her Uncle Tony walking down the beach towards her.

"Everything's ready love," he said, squinting in the sunlight. "You sure your ready?"

Rebecca smiled bravely and nodded.

"Mum and Dad wanted me to do this," she said. And unzipping her handbag, she lifted out the churn with her parents ashes.

"First things first though!" she said, smiling.

Lifting the lid, Rebecca slipped her hand in and scooped up some of the cool ashes.

After carefully closing the lid again, she put the churn at her feet and walked into the sea, just until the water laped at her dress.

"Mum, Dad, you wanted to be left in all your favourite places in the world," whispered Rebecca. "Here's the beginning of your journey."

And opening her hands wide, she sprinkled the ashes into the sea and watched as they were carried away.

She did not jump when Tony came up behind her and wrapped his arm around her shoulder. She didn't react surprised when Rachel slipped her hand into hers.

Rebecca smiled at her Aunt. She had done so much for her in the last few months. How would she ever say thank you to her.

Rachel smiled and quickly propped Lily up in her arms.

As the toddler reached out to her cousin, Rebecca smiled and offered the little girl her hand.

Giggling, Lily pressed it up to her cheek, holding it there lightly.

Rebecca chuckled. She would miss Lily too.

"We better go love if you want to make your plane," said Tony, looking at Rebecca uncertainly.

Rebecca saw his expression and chuckled.

"I'm going to be fine Uncle Tony," she reassured him. "It would have been nice if Aden had come but I am able to manage on my own thanks very much."

Tony chuckled and gave Rebecca a warm hug.

However it was saying goodbye to Rachel, where the tears came running.

"Thank you so much Aunt Rachel," said Rebecca, as she gave her a one armed hug, tears rolling down her cheeks. "You both have been so kind to me. I'm going to miss you all so much."

Rachel grinned through her tears.

"Just don't forget us love," she said. "And come back to us soon."

Rebecca smiled.

"I will, I promise."

They all walked up to the car together. Tony carrying Lily in his arms and Rachel her arm wrapped tightly around Rebecca's shoulders.

"I call you as soon as I get to LA," promised Rebecca, as she sat into the car.

"Please do," said Rachel, as she took Lily from Tony so he could drive.

Rebecca blew two kisses out to her Aunt and cousin as Tony sat in and started the engine.

"Be careful," called Rachel, as the car began to pull away. "Call us if your in trouble!"

"I will," called Rebecca back loudly. "I love you!"

Rachel blew her a kiss and she waved madly, Lily copying her as best she could.

Rebecca watched them until they were out of sight and then relaxed back into her seat.

"Nervous?" asked Tony, as she sighed heavily.

"No, it's not that," said Rebecca. "It's - oh my God!"

Tony slammed on the breaks as Aden ran into the road in front of him, his arms out wide.

"What's he doing?" asked Tony, as Rebecca jumped out of the car.

"Aden, what are you doing here?" asked Rebecca, walking up to him.

Aden shrugged.

"I didn't want you to leave without saying goodbye first."

Rebecca smiled briefly then looked serious again.

"I thought we weren't on speaking terms?" she asked uncertainly.

"Well we're not really I guess, seeing as your going off to LA and all," said Aden.

"There's still time," said Rebecca, a hint of desperation in her voice. "You can still come..?"

Aden shook his head.

"No, I don't think I will thanks," he said lightly. "What with what happened last week and all."

Rebecca nodded understandingly.

"I didn't mean for it to come out like that," said Rebecca. "I know your still getting over Belle, and you'll never really forget her."

Aden shrugged.

"It would have come out one way or another."

Rebecca nodded.

"Also Rebecca," said Aden, his tone firm. "Time will help heal the pain over losing Belle, but it'll never stop me loving her with all my heart. It might hurt you when I say this, but I know that I can never be with anyone else again. It just hurts too much, and brings back too many memories."

Rebecca nodded, even though she was gutted.

"I just thought..."

"It's ok," said Aden quietly. "I just wanted you to know where we stood...where I stood."

Rebecca nodded again.

There was a brief awkward silence between them before Tony honked the horn.

"I better go," said Rebecca, taking a few steps backwards. "I'll miss my plane otherwise."

"Yeah," said Aden. "Have a good time anyway, and I hope everything goes well for you."

"Can I call you to see how you are?" asked Rebecca.

"I'd rather you didn't," said Aden. "It would be a bit uncomfortable for me."

"Ok," said Rebecca quietly.

"I'm sorry how things have turned out for us Becs," said Aden. "Maybe when you get back from you trip we can be friends."

"Friends, yeah," agreed Rebecca.

Aden smiled lightly.

"I guess this is bye then," he said.

"Yeah, bye," said Rebecca.

"Oh c'mon," said Aden, grinning. "Your not going to go without giving me a hug."

Rebecca rolled her eyes, grinned and walked forward and gave him a hug.

To her surprise he hugged her really tightly. She also knew not to disinterpret this.

"I'll miss seeing you around," said Aden, as they pulled out of the hug. "Who else is around to be my heartbroken buddy?"

Rebecca chuckled.

"Guess you'll have to find a new one then won't you!" she said.

Aden laughed.

"I'll try, but they won't be as good as you."

Rebecca rolled her eyes. Aden chuckled.

"Tony looks like he's getting mad," said Aden, pointing to the car. "You better go."

"Yeah right," said Rebecca walking over to the car quickly, Aden following her slightly.

"Take care of yourself anyway Aden," said Rebecca, as she looked up at him from the car seat.

"Always do," said Aden, winking at her.

"Bye," said Rebecca as the car drove away.

She waved at him a few times, watched him walk away and then sat down.

"Better?" asked Tony, as he saw the smile on her face.

"Much better!" said Rebecca, grinning.

Let me know what you think!

xxxx

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, sorry for the long wait!! I've been really busy with school and stuff lately, I just haven't had the time to update!

Anyway, here's the next chapter!!

Chapter 12

1 year later...

"If you told me two years ago, I would be celebrating my wife's anniversary today, I would have laughed at you."

The crowd seated in front of Aden chuckled lightly.

"If you had told me a year ago today, that things would get better, I wouldn't have believed you."

Nicole wiped away a few tears.

"If you had told me I might find someone else to share my life with, I would have probably punched you in the face!"

The crowd laughed again.

"But as I stand here today, a year after the love of my life left this world, I don't feel sad."

Aden looked up bravely at his audience.

"I feel happy, relaxed, because I know that wherever my wife is now, she too is happy and relaxed and I can only hope she knows how much I think of her, how she's in my every thought, when I wake up in the morning, and when I go to sleep at night."

When the service was over, Irene and Nicole came and sat beside Aden in his seat.

"Aden, that was beautiful," said Irene, her eyes red from crying.

"Belle would be so proud of you," said Nicole.

Aden looked up at his sister and smiled.

"Thanks Nic," and then he wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tightly.

"Irene that lunch was delicious," said Geoff, as he put down his cutlery and patted his stomach appreciatively.

Nicole giggled beside him.

"Your very welcome darl," said Irene, smiling. "Who wants dessert?"

"Oh I think I could squeeze down a sliver of ice cream maybe," said Geoff, examining his belt buckles. "Yep, I've got another 4 buckles on this belt!"

Nicole smacked his arm.

"If you become fat, then we're breaking up!"

"Hey, hey, how come?" asked Geoff, frowning.

"Imagine trying to have sex with an obese man??" said Nicole, clearly disgusted.

"Well in that case then, I think I'll pass on dessert thanks Irene," called Geoff.

Nicole grinned.

"I've got you wrapped around my little finger I do," said Nicole.

"I believe you do," said Geoff leaning in and claiming her lips.

Beside them, Aden rolled his eyes.

"Please guys, we've just eaten!"

Nicole and Geoff ignored him and continued kissing.

"Fine," said Aden, getting up from the table. "Have fun exchanged each other's saliva!"

"Want to hang around for dessert Aden?" asked Irene.

"No thanks," he said. "I think I might just take a walk down the beach."

"Ok darl," said Irene, smiling.

Slipping off his shoes, Aden felt completely relaxed as he walked into the warm sand, feeling it running through his toes.

No other feeling in the world could compare this.

Except one maybe.

Closing his eyes, and using all his energy, he remembered her.

"Aden?"

He opened his eyes.

Infront of him was Belle.

"Wow, this is really vivid this time," he murmered.

Belle smiled at him radiantly.

"I missed you," she said, her voice like silver.

She looked exactly the way Aden remembered her; her green eyes, her long brown hair, her beautifully toned, tanned, slim figure.

His vision-Belle chuckled.

"When your finished checking me out, d'you want to go for a swim? I haven't got much time here you know!"

Nodding, Aden quickly pulled over his top, and took her hand. Her skin was so soft, so warm.

She smiled, and lead him gently into the water.

When the water was up to their waist, vision-Belle stopped and turned to face him.

She smiled wider and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"I love you," she whispered.

"I love you too," he said. "So much."

She smiled again and leaned in to kiss him.

But then Aden only felt the wind brushing against his face as he came back to the present.

Sighing he opened his eyes, seeing that he was once again alone.

Turning, he set off down the beach, wiping away a few tears as he went.

As the taxi driver stood in the airport, he held up a sign, written on it the name of his passenger.

He was surprised then as a young lady looked at his sign and then walked over to him briskly.

She was early.

"Hello, I Rebecca Armstrong."

"Hello ma'am," said the taxi driver politely. "May I take your bag?"

"That would be very nice thank you," said the young girl.

Picking up her bag, the driver walked quickly out of the exit, towards his car, the girl following him steadily.

"So," she said, as they sat in. "You don't know by any chance Summer Bay do you?"

Back home, Aden was stretched out on the sofa, flicking through the tv stations, trying to find something to walked.

Beside him, his phone buzzed.

"Aden Jefferies speaking," he said clearly. "Nic hi!"

"Hey Aden," said Nicole, her voice fast and worried. "You know the way Rebecca was coming home today."

"Yeah, why?" asked Aden slowly.

Nicole knew of his awkward goodbye with Rebecca. Something bad must have happened for Nic to bring her name up.

"Rebecca...was in a...car accident," she said slowly.

"Oh my God is she ok?" asked Aden, even though inside, he really knew the answer already.

"I'm sorry Aden," said Nicole. "Rebecca passed away a few minutes ago."

Let me know what you think!

xxxx

Thanks for all your...eh...shocked comments!!

I know it was a bit of a surprising end, had to happen though sorry!!

Hopefully this chapter will clear a few things up...

Chapter 13

1 hour earlier...

"To claim your baggage, please go to the baggage retrieval area," called the lady over the speakers.

Following the crowd, Rebecca was lead into the large retrieval hall, where she waited patiently for her suitcase.

Today...would be a interesting day to say the least.

She hadn't spoken to Aden, or anyone in the Bay in over a year, and so much had changed since then.

So much Rebecca hadn't expected.

She was back to explain.

After grabbing her bag, she left the airport and called over a taxi.

"The Diner, Summer Bay please," she said, handing the driver the money.

"Right you are Miss," he said, speeding off quickly.

"You have family in the Bay Miss?" asked the driver.

"Yeah, my Aunt, Uncle and cousin live there," said Rebecca. "I'm back for a short visit."

"You work some place else I take it then," said the man.

"Yes," said Rebecca. "When I was travelling, I auditioned for this movie just for the laugh, and they offered me the part. I'm moving into my new LA appartment next week! I'm here to say goodbye to my family."

"Oh wow," said the driver. "I'll be sure to look out for you on the big screen!"

"Why thank you," said Rebecca, smiling widely.

The driver groaned as they suddenly came to a halt in a queue of traffic.

"Looks like we're going to be stuck here for awhile, Miss," he said. "You aren't in a hurry are you?"

"No, not at all," said Rebecca. "I'll stick it out."

"Righteo."

As the cars infront of them moved quickly through the traffic lights, the taxi slowly followed only to get stuck in the middle of the road.

"Oh s**t!!" cried the driver. "We're going to be in trouble now."

And suddenly all Rebecca saw was blinding lights, the sound of cars honking and then all was black.

Aden.

"You're kidding right?" said Aden. "Rebecca can't be dead."

"I wish I was Aden," said Nicole, through the phone. "But I passed the scene of the accident, and I'm here now in the hospital. She's definately...dead."

Aden couldn't say anything.

He didn't know what to say.

All he felt was stupidity. He had turned away the one person who had known was he was going through. Who he knew could help him.

Over a stupid decision, everything had been ruined.

Rebecca was gone.

Now he had lost two of the people he loved, but in two different ways, and the pain came in different pangs.

2 days later...

Aden looked up as Rachel walked up to the stand.

"We are here today to celebrate the life of my niece, Rebecca, who's life was cut extremely short."

She held out her hand, indicating to the picture of Rebecca that stood beside her.

She looked so beautiful, thought Aden. She had always looked so beautiful.

"My niece came to Summer Bay with a broken heart, and a broken mind," continued Rachel. "She had just lost her Mum and Dad, the two most important people in her life."

"She has now joined them."

Aden smiled lightly; Rachel was right. Rebecca was with her parents, and the pain of not being with them had now ceased. She would be happy.

"Only 20, my niece knew much more than most 50 year olds would," said Rachel. "She had experienced pain, and gone through things that some of us can only imagine. She came to the Bay torn, and heartbroken."

"At first I knew of little to do," said Rachel, a tear rolling down her cheek. "But then..."

She looked up at Aden.

"Then she met a young boy, a kind, caring, sensible boy, who was in his own way, going through the same pain that she was. They instantly shared a common bond. They had both lost people they loved."

Beside him, Nicole took Aden's hand and squeezed it reassuringly.

"Then my niece left this town. She went travelling the world, taking with her a piece of her parents," said Rachel. "I could say she went alone, but she really didn't. Her parents were with her every step of the way."

"While my heart breaks at knowing, I will never see my little Becky again, I am happy because I know that she is happy, she is relaxed, she is at peace."

Rachel paused, and wiped away a few tears from her eyes.

"She is all those things, because she is back amongst the people she loves, and who love her. And I hope, that she is today looking down on us and smiling and, I just want her to know that me, Uncle Tony and Lily will never forget her. We love her too much to ever do that."

There was silence as Rachel stepped down from the alter and sat down again beside Tony, who took her hand and kissed it. She smiled, and lay her head against his forehead.

Aden looked back up at the alter as the priest came over to the podium.

"For one reason or another, God decides to take the people we love the most, and have them stand beside him the glorious heavens," he said gravely. "While we at first might be angry at God for this, we after a while, see the reasons behind his actions. God loves us all, he has his own reasons, which will forever be unknown. We must accept this and love our God nonetheless."

Slipping out of her sandles, Rachel walked into the water, just until it lapped until her dress.

Although it was quiet, she sensed the presence of her family and friends behind her.

Taking in a deep breath, she opened the churn.

"I give Rebecca to you my Lord," she said, as she sprinkled her ashes into the water. "And may she bring with her all our love and devotion. We will forever love her and never forget her."

Aden wiped a single tear away from his eye as they all watched the ocean carrying away Rebecca's ashes and a strong breeze blew past them, they knew she was gone, but somehow still with each and every one of them.

As the crowd left, Aden stayed behind, still staring out at the ocean.

"You left without me thanking you Rebecca," he said loudly. "It's just you and me now. I think it's time."

Letting out a sigh, Aden looked into the dark sky.

"I do love you," he admitted. "And I am sorry for never telling you. I didn't want to tell you because I knew you would interprept it wrong."

"I love you but not like I loved Belle," he said quietly. "My love for Belle is eternal and never dying. She may not be hear anymore but my heart still loves her as much as it did when she was here. I will never stop loving Belle."

"However, I love you too," he said slowly. "I don't love you like a partner, but I love you more than I would a sister. I don't know how to explain it. I suppose we could have been together...at one stage, but it wouldn't have gone anywhere, and I would have hated to do that to you."

"I love you Rebecca, I loved you days after I met you, but not the way you did."

Taking in another deep breath, Aden took out a picture of them he had in his pocket.

"I'm sorry you're not here anymore for us to be friends. I love you, and my heart breaks knowing I can't hear your voice again."

"Goodbye and take care," he said, laying the photo in the water and watching it float away. "You too took a part of my heart away with you."

Let me know what you think!!

xxxx

Thanks for all your lovely comments,

and sorry Suzanne that I'm finishing this fan fic so soon!

I hope you read, and like, my next one!!

Chapter 14

Aden went home that night feeling oddly different. Like a huge weight had been lifted from his shoulders.

It's odd, he thought. He remembered feeling this way since Rebecca inadvertly told him she liked him...maybe even loved him.

The weight, he now realised, had been hiding his love for Rebecca.

Had he seriously been feeling that for her all this time? It only just struck him now how stupid he had been.

He loved Rebecca.

But now she was gone.

The time he had wasted, all that time they could have been together.

It wouldn't have gone any further, but at least they would have been together.

At least she would have known how he felt.

He regretted that so much now.

She had asked him to go on the trip with her. He had said no.

She had asked him could she write. He had said he rathered she wouldn't.

What had he been thinking?

All his previous decisions made no sense to Aden now.

He had nothing to remember her by.

Just the memories; the images in his head of her smiling, laughing.

He would never forget that smile.

Then, Aden realised, the more he thought about Rebecca and what could have been, the more his heart broke over Belle.

It felt like he was betraying her.

His love for Rebecca replacing his love for Belle.

He knew it could never be true, it just felt like that.

It had only been a year since Belle died and he was already harbouring feelings for someone else.

Someone else who was...dead.

The word killed him.

Both people who he had loved for now dead.

Nicole knocked on the door.

"C'mon in, it's opened!" called Aden.

Opening the door, she was slightly shocked to see a suitcase lying by the stairs.

"Aden," she said, as he walked into the living room. "Where are you going?"

"To LA," said Aden, grinning. "Rachel gave me this list that she found amongst Rebecca's things. She had written down all the places she'd been to while she was away. My name was on the top....she had meant to give it to me when she got back."

"So...what does that mean?" asked Nicole.

"I'm going to all the places on the list," he said, still grinning. "She clearly wanted me to go there someday. Well today's that day! I've booked my flights and everything! I'm leaving this evening!"

"What?" said Nicole, shocked. "So soon?! Were you even going to say goodbye?"

"Of course I was Nic," said Aden, walking over. "I was on my over to yours in a few minutes! You didn't think I would leave without saying goodbye to everyone, especially you!"

Nicole smiled sheepishly.

"Well, when you put it that way," she said, reaching out and wrapping her hands around his neck, and hugging him tightly.

"Your the best Nic," said Aden, kissing her hair. "I'm going to miss you so much!"

"I'm going to miss you too," said Nic, wiping away a tear. "You've been like my brother!"

"Yeah," said Aden, hugging her tighter. "You've been like a sister to me too. I love you so much!"

"Love you too."

"Take care of yourself," she said seriously.

"Don't I always," said Aden, grinning.

Nicole rolled her eyes and hugged him again.

"Oh and don't forget to buy Barry's Tea when you visit Dublin," said Roman. "It's the nicest tea ever!"

"And you have to go into Harrods when your in London!" said Nic. "That shop is amazing!"

"And you have to buy me a "I Heart NY t-shirt when your in New York," insisted Leah.

Everyone looked at her in surprise.

"What, I can't be 15 for five minutes?" said Leah, in an obvious tone.

They all laughed lightly. Roman rolled his eyes and wrapped his hand around Leah's shoulders.

"Well I better be off," said Aden, looking at his watch. "I don't wanna miss my plane!"

"Ok well take care of youself Aden," said Leah, walking over and hugging him tightly.

"Thanks Leah," he said. "You've always been so supportive of me. Thank you."

Leah smiled, and hugged him again quickly. She let go quickly, wiping a tear away from her eye.

"Look after yourself mate," said Roman, patting his back.

"Thanks Roman," said Aden. "You've been like a Dad to me and I couldn't be more grateful."

"It was a pleasure mate," said Roman, smiling gruffly.

"Please take care Aden," said Nicole, tears in her eyes as she put her hands on his shoulders. "I swear if anything happens to you, call me and I'll fly straight over!"

"Nic, I'll be fine," said Aden. "I'm a big boy now, I can take care of myself."

Nicole cryed and shook her head. "No you can't!"

He laughed and hugged her tightly.

"Bye everyone," said Aden, as she pulled away, tears still streaming from her eyes. "I'll send postcards!"

"Bye," called everyone.

"Bye," said Aden, waving and disappearing out the door.

There was silence in the diner.

Nicole sighed. "He's really gone."

Roman walked around and put his arm around her shoulders.

"He'll be ok Nic, don't worry."

Nicole nodded. "I know he will."

As Aden closed his boot and walked towards the driver seat, he stopped to look out at the sea once more.

He didn't really want to leave.

Who knows, he might never come back.

So, just in case, he wanted to stand there for just a few minutes and soak up the beautiful sight in front of him.

Closing his eyes, he sighed, feeling the breeze against his face and the warmth of the sun.

"Aden?"

Aden froze. That voice was so familiar.

Turning around he saw Belle.

"Belle?" he said in awe, walking closer.

"Hello gorgeous," she said, smiling. "I love you."

"I love you too," said Aden, coming to stop in front of her.

Reaching his hand out towards hers, his heart dropped as he only felt air.

Belle sighed.

"I'm only here in you mind babe," she said sadly.

Aden sighed heavily.

Looking up again, he saw Belle smiled.

"Someone wants to talk to you."

Looking back, Belle smiled.

Aden followed her gaze and gasped.

It was Rebecca.

"Hey Aden," she said, smiling.

"Rebecca," he whispered.

"How is this happening?"

Belle smiled. "Because you want it to happen babe."

"So does that mean if I want you to stay, you will?"

They both chuckled.

"I think we all know the answer to that question, Aden," said Rebecca.

Aden checked his watch; he would be seriously late if he didn't leave now.

"Girls, I have to go," he said. "But....can you stay with me?"

Belle smiled.

"We can stay as long as you want."

"Wherever I go?"

"Wherever you go," said Rebecca.

"That's all I need," said Aden, smiling softly at them both.

Looking back out at the sea again one last time, he smiled and sat into the car.

He smiled again, feeling their presence.

"I hope the plane isn't bumpy," said Rebecca as Aden drove down the road.

"Yeah me too," said Belle. "You don't do well with plane sickness, do you honey?"

Aden rolled his eyes, and sped down along the road, trying to ignore the bickering spirits in the back seat.

Well thats it over!!

Thanks for all the support, and I hope you liked this last chapter!!

Thanks again!!

Luv Laura

xxx

Comments

Archived