Brothers On The Run

Guest whispered_envy

After this part there's only two more parts to go! Enjoy. :)

Chapter Eleven:

Aden awoke in the morning with sunlight blaring into his eyes. Groaning, he rolled over on the hard floor, wondering why the hell he had decided to sleep here of all places. He looked up at Sean, who was sprawled out, asleep on the lounge. He looked at the slight bruise that still spread across his cheek, and then down at his knuckles, raw and bloody from the night before. The memories came flooding back into Aden’s brain...had they actually talked about everything? Like a real family? A real family who loved and cared for one another?

Standing up and feeling confused, Aden decided to go outside and get some fresh water from the stream that ran nearby. Stumbling down the slight slope, he could see Justin there, sitting on a large rock, looking into the water. His nose was slightly crooked and he had slight bruising under his eye, but otherwise, he had come out of Sean’s attack pretty unscathed.

“Hey.” Aden greeted him.

“Hey man.” Justin greeted back. “How you feeling?”

“Weird.” Aden sighed, before kneeling down and splashing the icy water on his face.

“Yeah...same. Really weird.”

Aden took up a place next to his brother. “Justin?”

“Yeah?”

“Did we really...?” He was unsure of how to finish that sentence.

Justin let out a small laugh. “Yeah. We did. We actually discussed...it.”

“Wow.” Aden was impressed. “I never thought we would. Ever.”

“Same. It’s pretty...insane.”

“You’ve got that right. And Justin?” Aden hesitated for a moment. “I don’t care that you’re gay.”

Justin smiled. “Thanks, bro.”

“Sean on the other hand, I think he’s going to have a little more trouble accepting it.”

“I get that feeling too.” Justin sighed, indicating his face.

“I’m sure he won’t do that again! It’ll just take him some time.” Aden reassured him.

“Probably.”

“Was the only reason that you guys wanted me to come on the run with you was so I would see this place again?”

The question seemed to tumble out of Aden’s mouth, as if even he didn’t expect it to. Justin hadn’t been expecting it, either, but he knew the answer. “Yes. We thought it would only be fair if we all came back here together. We’re sorry we had to blackmail you into doing it.”

“Well, as much as I’m annoyed with you taking me away from Summer Bay and Belle and Roman and everyone...I’m glad we came back here.”

“So am I.”

“So...what do we do now?”

“What do you mean?”

“What’s our next move? I mean, we can’t stay here forever. We’re bound to run out of food eventually. And the cops could be searching for us in the bush- they might come across this place while we’re still here, and then it’d be all over.” Aden wondered.

“At this stage, I’m still not sure. We’ve got a bit of figuring out to do yet.”

As they entered the cabin again, they found Sean had awoken and was up off the lounge. He was staring at the picture that Aden had found of their mum. Justin and Aden didn’t say a word- they waited for Sean to speak first.

“I miss her everyday.”

“So do I.”

“Me too.”

Sean’s eyes filled with tears as looked at his two brothers, smiling. For once, he didn’t feel alone.

----

After their evening of truth, everything became so much easier. The brothers could openly talk to one another. Of course, things were still not perfect- they all had their moments of frustration- but that only happened because they were used to bottling emotions up, not letting them loose. Aden was actually happy to be with his brothers- a stark contrast to the beginning of their journey.

One night, after Sean and Justin had been discussing something privately, they sat Aden down to talk to him. Aden figured they were going to let him on their plans for where they were going now.

“So what’s the deal? Where are we heading next?” Aden asked outright.

His brothers exchanged looks of concern, before Sean cleared his throat. “That’s what we want to talk to you about.”

“Yeah, I know. We need to move on, before...”

Sean interrupted him. “No, you don’t understand, Aden!”

“What then? Are we going to hide out here for longer or something?”

“No...”

“Could you please just explain to me the plan then?” Aden crossed his arms and fell back in his chair. He was getting annoyed- his brothers weren’t being straight with him.

“Justin, could you explain?” Sean looked at his brother pleadingly.

Justin gave him a scathing look. “Fine.” He turned to Aden. “The plan is...we’re going on without you.”

“Huh?”

“Aden...we want you to return to Summer Bay.”

Penultimate chapter guys! And I'm going to be super evil and leave you hanging on for the last chapter till Monday/Tuesday next week. :P

Chapter Twelve:

Aden jumped from his chair. “You WHAT?!?!”

“Please don’t be mad, give us a chance to explain-”

“I don’t want to hear it! I don’t want to hear the excuse you’ve cooked up! No, I understand perfectly- you’re sick of me already! You think I’m a whiney, pathetic baby, and I’m too much for either of you to handle! Just when I thought everything was going really well, you want to leave me!” He let out a sharp, bitter laugh. “I don’t know why I’m surprised, I should be used to being deserted by you - it’s all you’ve ever been good at!”

“Aden, that’s not what we’re doing!” Justin protested.

“I thought you cared, but you don’t give a crap about anyone but yourselves!”

“For god’s sake, you don’t even realise what you’re doing!” Sean interrupted. “You’re getting angry, because when you’re hurt, that’s your coping mechanism! If you wanna get over your ****, just sit down, shut up, and let us explain!”

Aden kept opening and closing his mouth- he was at a loss for words. He slumped back into his chair. “I just don’t understand.” He murmured.

“Hear us out then.”

Aden gestured for them to explain.

Justin started. “I’d been planning this escape of Sean’s for awhile, but we pretty much kidnapped you to come on the run with us.”

Aden shrugged. “I’m glad I did.”

“Yeah, so are we. But we realise that we can’t keep you with us forever.” Justin leaned forward. “You’ve got so much potential, Aden, so much more than me or Sean will ever have. You’re stronger than both of us put together, and I know that with the right help you’ll get through this rough time of your life, and come out on top. You’ve obviously got people who love and care for you back in Summer Bay- Belle, and Roman- and it’s not fair on you, or them, to keep you with us.”

“But...you’re my brothers!”

“And look at what a great job we’ve done at being brothers!” Sean pointed out, now taking over from Justin. “I’ve resigned myself to life on the run, if that what it means to stay out of Jail, and Justin, he knows what a life is like on the run. But your heart was never really in this, and we realise you deserve better.”

“But...we were just starting to get back on track as a family!”

“I know we were. And I’ve been really grateful for the time that we’ve spent together- it’s let us open up about our grandfather, and we’ve been able to talk about issues that have been plaguing us for years. But we’ve done all we can for you- we might have gone through the same trauma, but we’re not professionals- staying with us isn’t going to fix you.”

Aden was amazed at his brother’s sincerity and compassion. He had never seen anything like it before. He couldn’t find the right words, but Justin spoke up.

“After seeing you break down in tears the other night, we realised that what we were doing was wrong. We hated seeing you like that, but at the same time, we didn’t know how to fix it. We love you, man- we want what’s best for our little brother.”

“I don’t want to leave you guys! You’re the only real family I have left! If I leave now, I’ll probably never see you again!”

“Maybe, but do you want to live the rest of your life running?”

Aden didn’t answer.

“I didn’t think so. Aden, you’re the only one of us who has the courage, and willpower, to change his life around. You gotta get rid of the Jefferies’ curse.”

Aden remained silent.

“Make Mum proud.” Sean whispered, barely able to say the words.

Aden looked at him, and his eyes filled with tears. “But I don’t know if I can.”

“You can, Aden.” Justin replied firmly. “Even if we’re not there to offer you support, your big brothers will always be thinking of you.”

“Can’t you guys come back with me?” Aden tried desperately.

“If we go back, we’ll get chucked in jail.”

“And what’s to say I won’t?”

“Because as far as the cops are concerned, you had nothing to do with it.” Sean explained. “Witnesses would have seen us hitting the cops, us pushing you into the car. You haven’t come and visited me once, and so you wouldn’t have known about the plan that Justin and I concocted. The prison has every visitor’s details on record.”

“Tell the police that we kidnapped you, if it means keeping you out of jail. We won’t be around to dispute your story.” Justin pointed out.

“I can’t just put you two in it that easily!” Aden was shocked by their suggestion.

“Aden, we want you to. We want you to do this for yourself, for us, and for Mum.”

“I don’t know, guys...” Aden was still unsure.

“Prove Grandad wrong... prove you’re not weak.” Sean encouraged.

“Are you sure you guys think is the right thing?”

“We’re sure. Please say you’ll do it.” Justin begged.

Aden looked at his two brothers. “I...I need some time to think.”

Last chapter!

Chapter Thirteen:

Aden wandered through the dry bushland, letting his thoughts move his feet.

If he stayed, then his relationship with his brothers would only go from strength to strength. Sure, a life on the run didn’t sound too thrilling, but the bond he now had with his brothers was something he didn’t want to lose. It had taken them five long years to come to terms with everything that had happened, and to be at peace with one another. Aden understood why his brothers did what they did- he always did understand, but it took seeing the raw emotion etched across their faces for him to actually forgive them. They were both good people, but damaging circumstances had changed them, and given them enough pain to last them a lifetime. They were exactly like Aden, which was one of the chief reasons why Aden didn’t want to leave them.

If he went, then he knew he wouldn’t see them again, and they were the only link he had left to his family. But, Aden couldn’t help thinking about all the people back in the Bay who cared for him. Roman...Nicole...Rachel...Morag...Belle. Belle! Oh, how he wished he could hold her in his arms again! He hoped they were missing him, or at least worried about him. In the Bay, he could continue to get help, he could get on with his studies, and he could lead a relatively normal life. Things would get back on track- if the cops believed his story, that is. But he wouldn’t have his brothers to support him- and was he really as strong as they said he was? Could he really make something of himself?

Aden groaned, pushing his hand through his hair. This was so frustrating! He kept going in circles. He couldn’t make this decision!

Suddenly, he stopped. He had come to a huge old gum, proudly spreading its branches up into the sky. He stared at the thick trunk- there had been markings etched into the bark. Aden raised his arm and slowly traced over the letters with his fingers. He remembered this.

----

Aden pressed his back up against the tree, trying to stand up as straight as he could. His mum stood over him, marking how tall he stood. “Okay, you can move now.”

Aden moved out of her way and watched as his mum carved his initials and the date next to the small line that represented his height. The tree was covered with lines and initials and dates, of him and his brothers heights from every time they had come here, as well as his mum’s heights, and her brother and sister, from when they were children. They had just added two fresh markings- Aden’s height, and his mother had put her height on the tree as well.

They stood back to admire their handiwork. “What do you think?” His mum asked Aden.

“I’ve grown!” Aden announced proudly.

“You sure have! You’re getting to be such a big boy!” His mum looked down at him, her smile wide, but her eyes tired. His mum hadn’t been feeling well lately, and this was to be their last trip to the cabin till she got better. She would get better- she always did. To Aden, his mum was invincible.

“You haven’t grown much.” Aden pointed out.

“That’s because when people get older, they stop growing.” His mum knelt down to his level, grabbing hold of both of his hands. “Aden, I want to tell you something.”

“What?”

“I love you so much Aden, and I want you to know that you’ll always make me proud to be your mother, no matter what happens.”

“Mum!” Aden blushed. He wasn’t used to this icky love nonsense.

“Hey, I’m your mum; I’m allowed to say this stuff!” She laughed. “But if I’m ever not around, just remember it.”

“But you’ll always be around! You’re my mum!” Aden was a little confused. Why was his mum saying all this mushy stuff?

“Just, remember it, okay?” His mum told him, firmly but gently.

“K.” Aden agreed.

His mum pulled him into a hug, and together, they admired the last of the carvings that would ever go into the tree.

----

He smiled. He might not have understood her words as an eleven year old, but now, he did. He headed back to his brothers.

He found them inside the cabin, lighting the fireplace. “Guys.” He announced. “I’ve made my decision.”

They looked at him expectantly.

“I’m going to go back to Summer Bay.”

Justin let out a smile of relief, while Sean sighed happily. “Good choice, mate!”

“I hope it is.”

“Can I ask you what helped you make up your mind?” Sean queried.

“Oh, just a sign.” Aden said mysteriously. His brothers frowned at the ambiguity of his statement, but didn’t question him further.

----

At first light the next morning, Aden said his goodbyes. The three brothers stood around awkwardly, unsure of what to say.

“Well,” Aden started gruffly, “I guess I better get going.”

Sean pulled his brother into a quick hug. “I’ll miss you, man.”

“Yeah, yeah. You say that now, but once I’m gone you’ll be glad to see the back of me!”

“Hell no! I’m going to be stuck by myself with this loser! I’m going to go insane!” Sean teased Justin.

“Thanks.” Justin rolled his eyes at Sean, before turning to Aden. “You...you get yourself better, okay?”

“Yeah, man.” Aden gave him a quick hug. “And you two...stay safe.”

“We will. Thanks...for everything.” Justin added quickly.

“Thankyou as well!” Aden cleared his throat. “Okay! I’m going now before we get all emotional!”

Sean laughed. “Good idea! Good luck!”

“Thanks...you too!” He set off down the dirt road that led to the main road, which would get him back to Summer Bay. Before he rounded the corner, he turned and waved to Sean and Justin. “Bye!”

“Goodbye!” They shouted back.

With one more step, they disappeared from view and were out of sight. Aden turned back to the road, adjusting his backpack. It was time to look to the journey ahead. He felt a slight pang of regret that he wasn’t going to see his brothers anymore right after they had become so close, but he also felt excited that he would get to see Belle soon.

----

Aden was exhausted. He had been travelling for hours along the damned dirt road, and had already drunk all his water. He only had the little amount of food in his stomach that he had for breakfast, and was starving. The dirt road seemed to be never-ending, but he had to keep pushing...he had to get home. Home to Belle...Roman...everyone.

He eventually arrived at the main road, drained and lightheaded. He walked along it, trying to hitchhike his way into Yabbie Creek. The first few cars sped past him, but one eventually slowed down, and luckily for him, the couple were passing right through Yabbie Creek. He barely said a sentence to them- his head was spinning, too worn out and emotional to come up with words.

They dropped him off in the centre of Yabbie Creek. Legs barely working, he managed the last few steps to the police station. As he entered, familiar faces looked up at him, and it dawned on them that this was the Aden Jefferies that they had been searching for.

This was enough for Aden. His legs gave out under him, and he collapsed, right in the middle of the police station. He lay, still and silent, on the floor as people rushed around him, shouting for an ambulance and to ring Roman. Someone tried to talk to him, but Aden didn’t respond. His mind was elsewhere.

After everything he had been through, he knew that things would now be better for him. It was his brothers...they had saved him.

One thought kept repeating itself in his head.

It was over.

The End.

Hope you guys enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it! :)

There might be a sequel one day, but for now I’m content with leaving it ending like that!

Comments

Archived