Kate Ritchie more confident in radio gig

Guest **Julie**

Ritchie more confident in radio gig

Yahoo!7 News

August 29 2008

Actor turned radio presenter Kate Ritchie says she's become more confident over the last few months and is happier than ever behind the microphone.

When the Gold Logie winner joined Merrick Watts and Tim Rosso on Sydney's Nova 969 breakfast radio show in January she was immediately thrown in the deep end, interviewing big stars like US singer Fergie in her first week.

It was an adjustment after 20 years on the TV soapie Home and Away, but Ritchie now feels she's found her feet.

"It's all really come together over the last few months," Ritchie told AAP at Nova's Sydney studio.

"I think a lot of that has to do with me feeling more confident.

"I can't say I'm the new girl anymore. It feels like a long time. I don't remember what it's like not to be doing this."

They are now looking ahead to the next few months and will try to freshen up the show by broadcasting more on the road thanks to new equipment.

First up, they've got a trip to Thailand with competition winners.

"We've done police checks on them so it's all good," Rosso joked.

They also plan to broadcast from another overseas trip and will venture to Hobart to have lunch with Tasmanian Premier David Bartlett.

"I tell you what, it's going to be big news in Hobart," Rosso said.

"He's a good dude - so I said: `If we come down to Tassie will you have lunch with us at the Ball and Chain (steak restaurant)' and he said: `Yes'. Idiot politicians," he joked.

They're also looking forward to Watts coming back to Sydney permanently.

Watts has been doing much of the show from Melbourne where he's shooting the ABC TV show The Hollowmen.

Nova's breakfast program has grown its audience by 54,000 listeners this year, but the team trail 2DAY FM rivals Kyle Sandilands and Jackie O in the ratings.

Ritchie said she does try not to think about competitors.

"I've never kind of run my race like that. As long as I feel like I'm doing all right," she said.

They were also buoyed by Thursday morning's show which featured an impressive line-up of guests such as US Kath and Kim star Selma Blair, Seven's Make Me A Supermodel TV show judge Tyson Beckford, former Baywatch star Pamela Anderson and Australian model Lara Bingle.

Archived