You'll Never Be Alone

Guest summer_bay_rules

Chapter 50

Two days later it seemed as though they were bumping into Cassie and Macca everywhere they went. Ric kept seeing Cassie looking at him and wondered what she was thinking. Something was going to happen, he just knew it. At the end of their fourth day in Florida Matilda, Pippa and Sally sent Ric down to collect their room service. As he walked across the lobby he saw Cassie.

“Ric! Hello. Fancy seeing you here,” she called out. Ric tried to ignore her and walked towards the café. But Cassie ran and blocked his way. “What’s wrong? I keep trying to talk to you but you keep running away.”

“Well I wonder why that is Cassie. Maybe because you cheated on me with Macca, maybe because you’ve done nothing but upset Mattie, maybe because you do nothing but destroy everything around you.”

“But, Ric, deep down I know you still have feelings towards me. Deep down you want me, not Matilda.”

“That isn’t true. Mattie is the love of my life,” replied Ric.

“You know that isn’t true. You’re meant to be with me, Ric,” said Cassie, getting closer to him.

“Cassie you’re mad and delusional. Matilda’s who I want to be with and I’ve known that for ages. Perhaps I’ve always known. There is a connection between us. I always thought she was just a friend I cared very much about, until she went off to Uni. I missed her more than anyone. I thought about her more than I would if she were just a friend. I realised I love her and deep down, I always have.”

“Ric stop,” said Cassie, feeling defeated. “This is all lies. It’s me you love, not her.”

“Cassie!” Ric shouted, getting angry, “I don’t love you, I don’t even like you!”

“You don’t mean that Ric, you don’t know what your saying. We were good together, we were right for each other. How can I make you see that,” and she reached over, putting her arms round Ric’s neck and kissed him. Unbeknownst to either of them, Matilda was walking down the stairs and could see them. She took one look at them and ran back up the stairs. She didn’t see Ric quickly pull away, or the look of disgust on his face when he realised what Cassie had just done.

“Are you crazy!” he yelled. “I’m engaged, to the woman I love!” and he forgot about the food and started going back upstairs to the room.

Meanwhile Matilda was trying to make it back to the apartment before she burst into tears but she couldn’t manage it. Half way down the corridor she stopped, she couldn’t take it any more. She leaned against the wall and collapsed into tears. She thought things were going well, she thought Ric was the one. She had flown to Florida with his family, what was she going to do. She walked slowly back to the apartment and was greeted by Sally when she walked through the door.

“Mattie? What happened? What’s wrong?” said Sally and she told Pippa to go to the bedroom.

“I ... I ... I walked down the main stairs into the entrance ... and ... and I saw Ric ... with Cassie, and ... they were ... k...kissing,” and Matilda broke down. Sally quickly walked over and guided her to the sofa as she was crying so much. Sally couldn’t believe it.

At that moment Ric came through the door. He took one look at Matilda who was now crying into Sally’s shoulder and his heart dropped.

“Mattie? What’s wrong?” he asked, but it was Sally who answered.

“Ric, I was under the impression that it was Matilda you loved, not Cassie!” she said, her voice raised.

“What, but I do love Mattie, more than I’ve ever loved anyone.”

“Then why did she just see you kissing Cassie?” asked Sally.

“What? You saw that? Matilda if you were there then you would have seen the look of surprise on my face, you would have seen me backing away and feeling disgusted. It was Cassie who kissed me and I certainly didn’t want to kiss her.” Matilda got up and walked towards the bedroom.

“I don’t want to talk about it now, maybe in the morning.”

Ric was left with Sally who look disappointed in him.

“You’d better tell me what happened,” she said. She listened to the whole story, about how Cassie was under the impression she had a chance with him and exactly what Ric had said about how much he loved Matilda. At the end she sighed.

“She really does love you Ric, with all her heart. You have to understand why she’s so upset. But she’ll come round. She’s a great girl and, when she hears the whole story, will believe you. Think if you were in her shoes and saw her kissing another guy, I know you didn’t want to kiss Cassie and deep down Matilda knows that too. Just wait until the morning and explain it to her.”

Pippa had crept out of her and Sally’s bedroom, where she had been listening at the door, and into Matilda’s. Matilda was in a ball on the bed, still crying. Pippa crept over and got onto the double bed.

“Mattie, don’t cry,” she whispered. “Will you still be my sister?”

Sally went off to bed, leaving Ric on the sofa, head in his hands trying to work out what to do. Sally realised Pippa wasn’t there and opened the door to Matilda and Ric’s room. Matilda was fast asleep and cuddled up to her was Pippa. Sally called over to Ric to come and see this.

“I was going to sleep on the sofa anyway, it looks pretty comfortable,” he said, obviously not too sure.”

“What about Pippa’s bed? Me and her have a double bed each, you could sleep there.”

Ric took a last look at the woman he loved and closed the door. He just hoped that things did turn out ok, and that she would understand. If she didn’t, he didn’t know what he was going to do.

Please comment.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The much awaited next chapter.

Chapter 51

The following day, Ric got up early after only a few hours sleep. He had to make it up to Matilda, make her see that it’s her he loves and wants to spend the rest of his life with. He sat in the lounge waiting, trying to think of what to say to her, when she woke up.

Finally he heard someone get out of bed and open the bedroom door. Matilda walked into the lounge, her eyes were red from crying herself to sleep but other than that Ric thought she looked beautiful. She looked at him and went to the kitchen area. The apartment was open plan so there wasn’t really any escape from him. She started making coffee but he rushed over and started making it for her. She walked over and sat on the sofa, not saying anything. Last night, seeing them kiss was as if someone had ripped her heart from her chest. She felt complete with Ric but now... she had something missing, something she needed back.

Ric finished making the coffee and put it down in front of Matilda. Then, finally, he began to speak.

“Mattie, I need you to understand what happened. You have to listen to me, please. I can’t stand you being mad at me, I need you.”

“Fine,” Matilda said quietly. “I’ll listen, but I can’t promise anything.”

Ric started explaining what had happened, how Cassie said she wanted him back and that he and Mattie weren’t good for each other and how he had told Cassie plainly that he had always felt a connection to Matilda. He said how Cassie forced herself onto him and kissed him, that he quickly pulled away and went mad at what she had done. He told her that he had never felt so bad as when he walked in the room and saw Matilda crying. Matilda sat and looked at Ric as he spoke. She listened to every word, wanting more than anything to believe him. She wanted reassurance that it was her he wanted to be with, not Cassie. She wanted to believe him, with all her heart but she wanted to make sure she was doing the right thing.

“Mattie, please believe me. I love you, I always have and I always will. You have to believe me. I don’t know what I would do if you walked away from what we have. I’ve never felt like this about anyone before.” Matilda kept listening, listening to Ric say wonderful things about her. “Mattie, we’re meant to be getting married, your already like one of the family. You’re the best thing that ever happened to me. If you hadn’t have wanted to be my friend when I first came to the Bay then I hate to think how I would have ended up. I was on a destructive path, but you changed that. You made me who I am today. You accepted me when no one else would, please believe me when I say I love you, when I say you’re the one I want to be with and you’re the one who I want to grow old with.” Ric looked up to Matilda. He had been sat opposite her and had talked for about half an hour. Matilda continued to look at the table that was in between them. She was thinking, of all the wonderful times they had had together, all the special moments they had shared. She couldn’t imagine her life without him. Finally she slowly lifted her head and looked into Ric’s eyes. She had always thought they were one of his best features and looking into them now, she knew she had made the right decision.

“I believe you,” she whispered, tears running down her cheeks, she knew she had just made him possibly the happiest man on earth.

Please comment.

Chapter 52

“I believe you,” Matilda said as tears running down her cheeks. Ric’s eyes lit up and a smile appeared on his face.

“You don’t know how happy you have just made me,” beamed Ric.

“I’m not saying that things are going to go back to normal straight away, it’s going to take time for me to get over what I saw. But we will, in time.”

“I understand,” said Ric, reaching over and holding Matilda’s hand. She smiled back at him. Ric moved round and sat next to Matilda, putting his arm round her and pulling her into a hug. At that moment Pippa walked into the room.

“Mattie are you feeling better today?” she asked.

“Yeah Pip, I am. Thanks for keeping me company in bed last night and don’t worry, I am still going to be your sister.”

“That’s good!” beamed Pippa, happy in the knowledge all was right again. Sally moved into the room and smiled when she saw Ric with his arm round Matilda.

“You’ve sorted things out then?” she asked.

“Yes we have. It’s still going to take time but, we’re okay,” replied Matilda. Sally set about making some breakfast while Pippa put the TV on and snuggled up to Matilda who in turn was snuggled up to Ric. The three of them stayed like that until Sally announced that pancakes were done.

They decided to go to Sea World to have a break from all things Disney. Pippa was excited about seeing the Shamu whale show. They walked through the reception area and walked into the very people Matilda was dreading to see. The good thing was they appeared to be checking out. Cassie broke away from Macca and came over. The four of them tried to hurry up but it didn’t work.

“So, Ric, any second thoughts?” asked Cassie.

“Go ruin someone else’s life,” said Sally. “Leave these two alone.” Sally shooed the three others through the door, hoping never to see her once much loved foster daughter ever again.

They decided to put what had happened behind them and enjoy Sea World. As soon as they arrived, Pippa wanted to go straight to see the Shamu show and so they set off. Ric slipped his hand into Matilda’s and they happily walked hand in hand, smiling. While the girls went to get seats, Ric got ice creams. It was Pippa’s idea to sit in the splash zone and, towards the end of the show the four of them got absolutely soaked. They came out of the stadium in hysterics as they tried to somehow dry themselves. Ric brought a shamu towel so they could dry their hair and stop dripping.

Next they headed to see the dolphins, which is what Matilda really wanted to do. They watched the show and Ric put his arm round Matilda. He couldn’t believe he had nearly lost her. By the time the dolphin show had finished they were almost completely dry which showed how hot and humid it was, even though it was only March.

Once they had finally got back to the complex, Pippa was exhausted. She had been running round all day, not wanting to miss any of the animals or shows.

“Well, how about I take you for a meal in the restaurant and Sally can order room service?” suggested Ric, looking at Matilda.

“That sounds good to me, I’m not going to be late in bed either,” said Sally.

“Okay, I’ll just get ready,” replied Matilda. She came out of the bedroom half an hour later in a short summer dress, her hair in curls.

“You look ... amazing,” said Ric. They left the room and Ric slipped his arm round Matilda. There were two places to eat, a café and a restaurant. So far they had only eaten at the café so this was a new experience for them. Once they had been seated Ric began to spoke.

“You have no idea how happy you made me when you said you believed me,” he said, holding her hand across the table.

“I think I have some idea. I saw the smile on your face, the happiness in your eyes,” smiled Matilda. “I’m sorry I doubted you.”

“It doesn’t matter, not now. We can have a perfect last couple of days and then get back and start planning the wedding.”

“Sounds like a plan,” said Matilda.

After the meal they slowly made their way up to the apartment.

“I can’t believe there’s only a couple of days left,” said Ric.

“Yeah, well we’ll just have to make them the best days won’t we,” smiles Matilda.

“Mmm I’m sure they will be.”

“Meaning ...?”

“Maybe I have a surprise for you! And Pippa and Sally.”

“As surprise? What is it?” said Matilda getting excited.

“What is it with you and surprises? You’ll have to wait until tomorrow!”

“Why can’t I know now!?”

This continued until they got to the apartment. Both Sally and Pippa were asleep and so Matilda and Ric were careful to be quiet.

“I know you said things couldn’t go back to normal straight away ... so ... do you want me to ... sleep on the sofa?” asked Ric.

“No, I want you to come sleep in the bed with me,” smiled Matilda.

They got into bed and Ric put his arm round Matilda who put her head on his chest, cuddling him. They stayed like this all night.

All comments welcome.

Chapter 53

Matilda woke quite early the following morning. She knew no one else was awake so stayed in bed, cuddled up to Ric. She thought back over the last few days and couldn’t believe she had nearly walked away from what she had with Ric. She knew he was telling the truth about what happened and deep down she knew that she never should have doubted him for a second and felt bad that she had. He was one of the best things that had ever happened to her, apart from moving to Summer Bay. She had fitted perfectly with his family, thought as Sally as a second mum and Pippa is the little sister she never had. She always hated being the youngest and everyone saying she was the baby of the family. She remembered when she had first graduated from Uni, how lost she had felt and how Ric had made all that better. She looked at Ric who was asleep next to her. She couldn’t imagine being with anyone else, he was the man of her dreams.

She heard Ric stir and wake up.

“Ric?” whispered Matilda.

“Mmm” replied a still sleepy Ric.

“What’s my surprise?” she smiled, turning to look into his eyes.

“That’s nice, not even a good morning!” joked Ric.

“I’m sorry babe, good morning,” and she leaned over and kissed him passionately on the lips.

“Mmm it’s good to feel your lips on mine again,” said Ric. He hadn’t wanted to rush things with Matilda after the whole Cassie situation.

“Now will you tell me what the surprise is?”

“You don’t give in do you?”

“You know what I’m like with surprises!”

“Well you’ll find out after breakfast.”

“I can’t wait that long!”

Ric leaned over and kissed his fiancé.

What felt like hours later, but really it was only half an hour, everyone was up and eating cereal for breakfast. Pippa and Sally had just found out that Ric had a surprise and now the three girls were all badgering him as to what it was.

“Ok ok. I given in, I’ll tell you,” said Ric as the three girls cheered. “Okay, so we only have today and tomorrow then we go home the following day. We’ve done all the Disney Parks and Sea World. Tomorrow we’re going to go back to Magic Kingdom and I know the last half day you all want to go shopping. So that leaves today. Now I know that the three of you all love dolphins. So ... I booked the four of us a day at Discovery Cove where we will all swim with the dolphins.”

Sally, Pippa and Matilda broke into screams. Sure they had seen dolphins in Australia but they had never been that close to them. It had been Matilda’s dream for a long time to swim with them and now it was going to come true.

“I can’t believe you arranged this!” said Matilda, throwing her arms round him and giving him a massive kiss.

An hour later they had juts arrived at Discovery Cove which was world renowned for its dolphin swims. Matilda, Pippa and even Sally were all hyper and Ric was pleased that he had arranged it. To see Matilda smile this much made it all worth while. Their dolphin swim wasn’t until after lunch so in the mean time they had fun snorkelling in a massive pool with all sorts of tropical fish and a massive ray. They Ric managed to get Matilda into a pool with about a hundred rays. Matilda soon got used to them brushing against her leg and built up the confidence to stroke them.

Finally, at 2 o’clock it was what they had all been waited for. Matilda and Pippa couldn’t keep still. Once they were in the water the trainer introduced them to one of the dolphins. It was just the four of them in their group so they got the dolphin all to themselves. There was a photographer that took pictures they could buy afterwards. The four of them took turns in hugging and then kissing the dolphin. And then they were given a ride. Matilda couldn’t believe she was this close to a dolphin. She couldn’t thank Ric enough. The time flew by and soon their time with the dolphin was over. They went over to see the photos that had been taken and came away with just about all of them. Matilda particularly liked one of her, Ric and the dolphin. They were stood behind the dolphin, Ric had his arm round Matilda and the dolphin was looking up at them. It was the perfect picture and one that they would treasure. Pippa couldn’t wait to go back to school and tell her friends all about it. Sally couldn’t wait to tell Brad and was so pleased things were good between Ric and Matilda.

That night they all went to sleep very happy with smiles on their faces. On the downside, there was only one full day left and then a half day before they had to fly back to Australia.

Please comment.

Chapter 54

Before they knew it they were at the airport trying to keep all their bags on the trolley. They had been shopping that morning and on top of all the things they brought in Disney, they had struggled to fit everything into the cases.

“Can’t believe we have to go back home already,” said Sally.

“Mmm apart from a couple of days in the middle, it was all perfect,” smiled Matilda.

“I’m just glad we didn’t let her affect us too much,” said Ric.

“I can’t believe she’s the same person who was my foster daughter.”

They got through security and still had over an hour before they were due to take off.

“You know what that means?” smiled Sally. “Time to shop.”

“What an excellent idea!”

“Shopping? We’ve just been shopping. How about I take Pippa to find some seats and relax.”

So Matilda and Sally set off to find some duty free products.

“So, I’ll bet you’ll be pleased to see Brad again won’t you?” asked Matilda as she smelt some perfume.

“Yeah,” replied Sally, not sounding too sure.

“Is there anything wrong? I thought you were getting close?”

“Yeah we are...”

“But?” asked Matilda.

“Is it wrong to feel like that? I’m meant to love Flynn forever, and I do still love him.”

“But you also love Brad? And you think it’s wrong to love two people?” asked Matilda.

“You’re good.”

“Sally, there’s nothing wrong with it. No one will ever take away what you and Flynn had. But, he died over 5 years ago, it’s okay to move on. It’s what he would have wanted. I think it’s absolutely fine to love two people. Look at my mum, she was married to my dad for years before he died. It doesn’t mean she doesn’t love Tony any less and I know she really loved my dad.”

“Thanks Mattie,” said Sally and she gave her a hug.

They walked through the airport and found Pippa who was annoying Ric by repeatedly asking how much longer until the flight. Matilda sat next to Ric and put her head on his shoulder.

“Thanks for Discovery Cove,” she whispered.

“You’ve already thanked me ... about a thousand times. You can stop now,” Ric smiled.

“I can’t believe how differently this holiday could have turned out.”

“Lets forget about that. Everything’s good again, that’s all that matters,” replied Ric as he stroked his hand through Matilda’s hair.

Finally they boarded the plane and Ric started to get very nervous again. He had decided that he wasn’t a big fan of flying. Matilda held onto his hand and while she was enjoyed looking out of the window as they climbed higher and higher, Ric was trying to avoid looking out of any of the windows, they just reminded him of how far up they were getting.

Ric relaxed a bit once they had levelled off and chatted to Matilda about the best bits of the holiday. They didn’t mention Cassie.

“Ric, you know I love you,” smiled Matilda.

“Of course I know babe.”

“Well I was thinking ... have you ever fancied joining the mile high club?” she whispered into his ear. He turned and looked at her, a smile on his face.

“Well I can’t say I’ve ever thought about it, but now that you mention it, I think it would be the perfect end to the holiday.”

They got up and walked past the seats that Sally and Pippa were sat in.

Sally smiled, guessing what they were up to.

“Mummy? Where are Ric and Mattie going together?” asked Pippa.

What seemed like days later, they finally drove past the ‘Welcome to Summer Bay’ sign and were pleased to be home. It had been a very turbulent landing which Ric had hated. Sally dropped Ric and Matilda and their many bags off at their house and they arranged to meet up the next day once they had all had a good sleep.

“How about I go get a take out from the Diner? You must be starving, I know I am,” suggested Matilda.

“Sounds like a brilliant idea,” and Ric kissed Matilda before she left.

Walking back from the Diner carrying the food, Matilda walked at the top of the beach. She was about half way home when she recognised Jade, her new friend who had just moved back to Summer Bay, sat on the sand and it looked like she was crying. Matilda walked over and sat down beside her. Jade looked up when she heard Matilda and quickly wiped her eyes.

“Hey, your back. How was Florida?”

“How about I tell you after you tell me what’s the matter?”

“I don’t know what you mean,” replied Jade, despite the fact that her eyes were still red.

“I saw you crying. I’m a great listener so why don’t you tell me what’s wrong.”

“Don’t you want to get back to Ric, you must be tired.”

“I slept a little on the plane and in the car. The food can be reheated when I get home so ... I’m all ears.”

“Fine. Ric asked a couple of weeks ago why I moved to the Bay and, instead of answering, I made an excuse and ran away. That’s because I couldn’t bring myself to deal with it, but I realise now that I have to...”

Chapter 55

Jade pulled a piece of paper out of her pocket.

"Seb is the love of my life and was my fiancé, I told you about how he got paralysed and moved to a rehab clinic."

"Yeah I remember."

"Well he was told he would never walk again, but after about 5 years of slowly building up his leg muscles he managed to stand unaided. Then, little by little he learned to walk again. It was a slow process but he managed it. But then, about a year ago he started getting headaches. He was diagnosed with a brain tumour." Tears began to roll down her cheeks. "A couple of weeks before I moved here, he ... died. In the last few months he couldn’t do anything, couldn’t even feed himself. Then one morning I went to the hospital and found that he was slipping away. Afterwards the nurses gave me this letter. He had asked her to write it while he dictated." Jade handed the letter to Matilda who started to read.

My beloved Jade,

We have had to put up with so much in our lives. This is one hurdle you will have to get over without me. I know you can cope on your own and I want you to move on with your life. The last 10 years of your life have been dedicated to me, ever since I was left paralysed and now it’s time to live your own life. I want my ashes to be scattered in Summer Bay, where we first fell in love. Afterwards I don’t want you to feel obligated to stay with Don, he can look after himself. Have your own life, be independent.

I want to say thank you for everything you’ve done for me over the years. I felt so low 10 years ago but you came with me to rehab and I don’t think I could have got through it without you. The best thing that ever happened in my life was moving to Summer Bay. Not only did I get to meet my granddad but I also got to fall in love. You’ve made my life in rehab worth living, your visits everyday were what got me through.

I love you Jade, my one regret is that we never got married and had children. Go back to Summer Bay, I know you loved it there, scatter my ashes and build a life for yourself. I can’t thank you enough for everything you’ve done for me.

Love you always, Seb.

Matilda finished reading and looked up at Jade. The woman sat in front of her was only 26 but had been through so much. Matilda had found it hard to see Ric in pain for a couple of weeks with his arm, Jade had been through that for 10 years.

"Jade, I ... I don’t know what to say. You’re so strong to have gotten through all this."

"You learn to cope," said Jade simply.

"Have you scattered his ashes yet?"

"Last week. Don, Seb’s granddad, came down and we scattered them together. Don’s still here, catching up with Alf. They were best friends."

"Is that Don Fisher? Used to be principle of Summer Bay High?"

"Yeah."

"You know the first time I met you weeks ago, you said I was talking to myself?"

"Yeah I remember," replied Jade.

"Well, I was actually sort of talking to my friend, Belle. She died at the end of January from skin cancer. We scattered her ashes in the sea and so, when I have a problem that I would have talked to her about, I come here and tell her. She can’t reply but ... it helps me," explained Matilda, looking out to sea.

"I ... I didn’t know. I’m sorry."

"Don’t be. For the first few weeks I was a mess. But Ric helped me and now I can talk about her without crying. So I’m going to help you get through this, like you said, you have to face up to it." Matilda pulled Jade into a hug.

"Thanks Matilda. For someone only 21 you’re smart."

"Thanks," smiled Matilda. "Do you want to come back and have something to eat? Your welcome to if you want," offered Matilda.

"No it’s okay. I’m meeting Irene at the Diner and having dinner with her, but thanks. I’ll see you soon." Jade got up, brushed the sand off her legs and walked towards the Diner. Matilda also stood up and watching Jade walk away. She’d had no idea how much Jade had been through.

Matilda arrived back home to find Ric watching TV.

"Sorry I took a long time. I ran into Jade and she ... needed someone to talk to. I’ll just reheat the food."

"That’s okay. So, what was wrong with Jade?"

They sat down and Matilda told Ric all about Jade’s past and Seb.

Once finished eating they went upstairs.

"Are you tired?" asked Ric.

"Mmm yeah," yawned Matilda.

"Too tired to have some fun?" asked Ric.

"Suddenly, I’m wide awake," smiled Matilda and she leaned across the bed and started kissing Ric.

Chapter 56

A couple of weeks after they had arrived back from Florida, Matilda, Ric, Pippa, Sally and Brad were sat on beach having a picnic. A lot had happened since Florida and now it was mid May. The weather was getting ever so slightly colder, but still was hot. Sally had plucked up the courage to tell Brad how she felt and now they were a couple. Pippa was very pleased with this as it meant Brad spent more time at the house. Matilda was still babysitting Pippa after school and to her, it was the best job in the world. Ric had gone back to work, his arm completely healed. Jade had fitted in perfectly with Matilda, Hayley and Martha and the four of them often went shopping in Yabbie Creek or in the City. Matilda was there to listen when Jade needed to talk about Seb and had helped her settle back into Summer Bay life. She didn’t know Seb but, after hearing about him from Jade, thought she knew him pretty well. She was just happy she could help.

Ric, Sally and Pippa all went to paddle in the sea, leaving Matilda sat with Brad.

“You know, Matilda I’ve been meaning to thank you,” said Brad.

“You can call me Mattie if you want. And why?”

“Well Sally told me about what you said to her at the airport, about being able to love two people. If you hadn’t have said that then I don’t think we would have gotten together. So, thank you.”

“Your welcome. And I do believe what I said. I know she loves Flynn still very much, but it’s also clear she loves you too.”

“Well I love her too.”

“Just be warned, if anything happens to hurt her, you’ll have to answer to the whole of Summer Bay,” joked Matilda, smiling. “She’s a very popular person.”

“I’m well aware of that and believe me, I don’t want to do anything to hurt her.”

Matilda lay down on the blanket, listening to the sounds of Ric and Pippa cry out as they splashed each other. Brad went over to join Sally and put his arm round her.

Jade and Hayley walked along the beach and, seeing Matilda, walked over to her.

“Hey Mattie, we were just coming to find you. We’re planning a girls night in at my place tonight. I’ll kick Scott out and Noah is spending the night at Leah’s. So will we see you there?” asked Hayley.

“Sounds good! I’ll bring a bottle of wine round, or two.”

“Goody! Martha’s coming too. O and you can spend the night if you want, it’ll be like a slumber party.”

“Excellent!”

“What’s excellent?” asked Ric as he came over and dried himself with a nearby towel.

“I’m spending the night with the girls at Hayley’s house. I’ll be gone all night so you’ll have to cope on your own.”

“Fine, what’s Scott doing?”

“I’m not sure. Jack working so Irene is looking after Katie.”

“Well tell Scott to come round and bring some beer. We can watch the footy,” said Ric, sitting down next to Matilda.

“Will do, see you later Mattie.”

Matilda and Ric were left on their own, watching Brad chase Pippa in and out of the sea while Sally tried to avoid being splashed.

“So, how about tomorrow we start properly planning the wedding?” suggested Ric.

“Sounds like a plan. But we could always start discussing it now,” replied Matilda.

“Okay, so have you thought about bridesmaids?”

“Yeah, but there’s quite a few. Hayley, Martha and Jade, obviously. But then also Tasha and Kit. How about your best man?”

“Mmm well I was actually thinking of having two. Scott and Jack. I don’t want to choose between them.”

“Well if I can have five bridesmaids then you can have two best men.”

Matilda left her house, kissing Ric before she went, at about six and walked round to Hayley’s house with Martha. Jade was already there and was looking through various take out menus.

“What do you think?” she asked, chucking some menus at the two of them to look through. Hayley came in with four glasses of red wine.

“Hey guys!” she said. “Have you decided on a take out yet?”

“How about this one?” suggested Matilda, looking through a menu. “It’s that new Chinese place that just opened, they deliver.” She passed it round and then Jade called with their order.

Before the food arrived they put the furniture to the side of the room, got a couple of mattresses and blankets and covered the floor. They ate the food sat on the floor and watched Bridget Jones : Edge of Reason.

“We need to make this a regular thing,” said Hayley. “It’s such a good idea to turn it into a slumber party.”

“Yeah, and we can stay up and talk,” said Martha.

“I’m so glad I moved back here,” Jade said.

“And we’re glad to have you here!”

The talk soon came round to guys and they had quickly polished off the two bottles of wine that Matilda had bought round.

“So any wedding plans yet Mattie?” asked a tipsy Martha.

“Well we were actually talking about it earlier on the beach. How would you three like to be bridesmaids?” The girls all started squealing.

“Yes!” called out Martha.

“I would love to!” replied Hayley, hugging Matilda.

“Are you sure? I mean you haven’t known me for as long ...”

“Jade of course I mean it. It’s as if you’ve lived here for ages.”

“Well in that case thanks, I’d love to.”

“And I’m also asked Tasha and Kit,” said Matilda. “Tasha is married to my brother Robbie and they live in the States, Kit is my sister,” she added when Jade looked blank.

“Is Henry going to grace us with his presence for the big day?” asked Martha.

“Well I’m not sure. Hopefully, but we want to have it at Christmas and he’s usually in Panto over in England.”

“He’s your twin, he has to be here,” said Hayley.

They were all slightly drunk by this point.

“You two are so sweet together,” mumbled Hayley.

“Yeah I thought that the first time I ever saw you together,” agreed Jade.

“Mmm well I’m just glad we didn’t let Cassie ruin it,” mumbled Matilda. The three other girls looked at her, they didn’t know about the whole Cassie thing. Matilda had chosen not to tell them because she didn’t see the point, her and Ric were not letting it affect them. However, she had had lots to drink.

“What do you mean Cassie?”

“Umm well we ... sort of saw her ... in Florida and she ... kinda ... kissed Ric and tried to get him back,” explained Matilda and she told them the whole story, filling Jade in on exactly who Cassie was.

“Oh my god!” exclaimed Hayley, once Matilda had finished.

“I’m glad you and Ric were able to get passed it,” said Martha from where she was lay out on the floor. “I thought she was happy with Macca?”

“Well I dunno, obviously she’s not that happy.”

They spent the next hour or so thinking of horrible ways to punish Cassie and that developed into generally anyone who had hurt them.

“I so love girl’s nights in!” called out Martha and they started gossiping about anything and anyone, from people they knew, people from the past and celebrities.

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. I REALLY appreciate it!

Chapter 57

The next morning the four girls woke up in Hayley’s living room, Martha with a terrible hangover, Jade looking disorientated, Hayley trying to find out what time it was and Matilda trying to remember ever going to sleep in the first place. They had been talking for most of the night. Hayley walked over and opened the curtains which was greeted by a moan from Martha.

“It’s too light!” she complained.

“How much did you drink last night?” asked Matilda.

“Mmm I don’t know. I lost count. Do you have any aspirin Hayley? I feel terrible,” said Martha and Hayley went to get the aspirin.

“It was a good night though, we definitely have to do it again,” said Hayley, giving a glass of water to Martha.

“Definitely!” agreed Jade and Matilda.

Jade left before the others as Irene had given her a job at the Diner so she had to leave in order to have time to change first. Then Matilda had the job of getting Martha home.

“I’m never drinking again,” complained Martha, as she held on to Matilda to steady herself.

“Why did you drink so much in the first place? Are things alright between you and Jack?”

“He’s working on a big case, something to do with fraud, and so he’s never really home. Meaning it’s just me and Katie. I just needed to unwind.”

“How many times do I have to say it? I will baby-sit anytime, just ask.”

“Thanks Mattie.”

Matilda held onto Martha the whole way home and got her up the garden path and to the front door. It took a while for Jack to answer, it looked as if he had been asleep.

“Martha? Are you alright?” he asked, then looked at Matilda.

“Well, she had a little too much to drink last night,” explained Matilda.

“Thanks Mattie for bringing her home, I’d better go get Katie from Irene’s.”

“Actually Jack, can I have a quick word, in private?” asked Matilda. Jack settled Martha down on the sofa and stepped outside.

“Jack, I think Martha feels a bit neglected. I know you have to work and everything but... I just think maybe you should think about what it’s doing to Martha. She needs some time off from looking after Katie, she needs time with you.”

“Mattie, I understand where you’re coming from, but I have to work. The long hours are only until we crack this case and if I don’t do them then I’ll lose my job. But I appreciate you looking out for her, I’ll try and spend more time with her, and Katie.”

Matilda walked next door and let herself in to find Scott asleep on her sofa, snoring. Ric came in from the kitchen, where he appeared to be making breakfast.

“Hey babe,” he said, walking over and kissing her. “How was your girls night?”

“It was great thanks. Umm why is my brother asleep on the sofa?”

“Well we were watching TV and drinking beer and before I knew it he was asleep. He was meant to be sleeping in the spare room but ...”

Scott stirred in his sleep, rubbed his eyes, and woke up.

“Mattie? What are you doing here? What time is it?” he asked groggily.

“Well I’m here cos I live here,” laughed Matilda. “And it’s 10 o’clock sleepy head.”

“Sorry mate,” he said to Ric. “Must have fell asleep.”

“No kidding,” replied Ric. Scott stood up and stretched.

“I’d better be getting back, I’m meant to pick up Noah on my way home, I’ll see you two later.” He patted Ric on the back and hugged his sister before leaving.

“I told the girls about being bridesmaids,” Matilda told Ric after they have cleaned up the beer cans.

“Were they pleased?”

“You could say that. Put it this way, there was a lot of screaming,” smiled Matilda.

“I want to get Scott and Jack together to tell them about best men but Jack always seems to be working these days,” replied Ric. “So, you still want to get married on the beach?”

“Only if you do. If you want to get married somewhere else then I’m fine with that,” said Matilda.

“No, I want you to have everything perfect. As long as your happy, I’ll be the happiest man alive,” and he reached over, put his arms round her and kissed her.

“So, the beach it is,” said Matilda, as the broke apart for air.

“You know, I missed you last night,” whispered Ric.

“I was gone for less than 24 hours,” giggled Matilda, Ric was kissing her neck which she found ticklish.

“Well, I don’t like having the bed to myself. I like having you next to me.”

“You’re so sweet,” and Matilda started kissing him more passionately.

Hey guys. My easter holidays are now over which means I am getting lots of school work. Therefore updates may not be as frequent.

Chapter 58

That evening, Matilda went next door to see if Martha was okay. Jack was at work, again.

“Hey,” Matilda said once Martha had opened the door. “I just, came to see if you’re feeling better, after this morning and everything.”

“Thanks, Mattie. Come on in.” They sat down.

“So, how are you?” asked Matilda.

“I’m ... fine, just tired. Thanks for walking me home, by the way.”

“Don’t mention it. So, have you talked to Jack?”

“Not really. He told me what you said though, that was really sweet of you. But he says he really has to do all this work, at least for the next couple of weeks.”

“How do you feel about that?” asked Matilda.

“Well, to be honest. It feels like I’m a single mother. He’s never at home, I hardly ever see him. He comes in late and leaves early. He’s not being a father to Katie and I’m worried that it’ll mean they won’t have a bond in the future.” At that moment Katie began crying. Martha sighed and started to get up. But Matilda beat her to it.

“I’ll go. You just sit and relax,” said Matilda and she went to comfort Katie.

Once Matilda had settled her, she went back to the front room.

“Thanks Mattie,” said Martha sleepily.

“You need to get some sleep.”

“Mmm Katie isn’t sleeping through so I keep having to get up, Jack says he can’t do it because he has to get up early for work.”

“Why don’t I take her for the night? Ric won’t mind and it’ll give you a chance for a good night’s sleep. You can come and get her whenever you like tomorrow.”

“Really? Are you sure?” asked Martha.

“I wouldn’t ask if I wasn’t sure.”

“Thanks Mattie, I’ll come and help you get her things together.”

Matilda went next door to tell Ric and to get him to help bring things over.

“You don’t mind do you?” asked Matilda nervously, thinking maybe she should have asked first.

“Of course I don’t. Martha’s my cousin, she needs a night off. Come on, lets go get Katie,” and he put his arm round Matilda’s waist and they went back next door.

They soon had Katie settled at their house.

“Are you sure you’re alright about this?” asked Matilda again.

“Yes, of course I am.”

“Thanks,” and she gave him a hug.

About an hour after they had gone to sleep, Katie woke up crying, waking both Matilda and Ric.

“I’ll go,” said Matilda, getting out of bed and finding her slippers. Matilda took Katie downstairs and walked her round a bit, trying to calm her down.

Finally Katie settled and so Matilda, not wanting to wake her, decided to sit on the sofa until Katie was definitely asleep. An hour or two later Ric came down the stairs, looking for Matilda. He saw her lay down on the sofa, cuddling Katie in her arms so she wouldn’t fall. Both were fast asleep. He got a blanket from upstairs and put it over them, not wanting them to get cold but Matilda woke as he wrapped them up in it.

“Mmm what ... what time is it?” she asked, not wanting to wake Katie.

“It’s only 2 in the morning. You fell asleep with Katie,” explained Ric, taking her, still sleeping, from Matilda’s arms. Matilda stood up and yawned. “You go back to bed and I’ll settle Katie back in her cot.” So Matilda went upstairs, leaving Ric cradling Katie.

The following morning, Martha came round to collect Katie, after a good night’s sleep.

“What did Jack say when you told him we were looking after her?” asked Matilda.

“Honestly ... I don’t think he took much notice. He got home late and I have no idea what time he left.”

“Things will get better Martha,” said Ric, hugging his cousin.

“Thanks guys, I’d better get Katie back home, can you help me with the stuff?”

After, Ric went off to the garage and so Matilda stayed and talked to Martha for a while. She tried to comfort her, and reassure her that Jack will come round, at some point. When she got back home the answering machine was flashing.

“Hey Mattie, it’s mum. Sorry I haven’t called recently. I heard from Scott that you’re starting to make the wedding plans, well I want to hear all about them. Tony’s worried about Jack and Martha, do you know anything about that? Well I’ll speak to you later, can’t wait to hear from you sweetheart. Oh and Tony says hi to you and Ric.”

Matilda sat down and rang her mum. Even though they were thousands of miles apart, they still had a close relationship. Matilda told Beth every little detail on what had gone on in Summer Bay, including the wedding ideas that had been made so far. Beth didn’t want to miss out just because she moved away.

Once finished, Matilda decided to call Kit and ask her about being a bridesmaid. Kit, of course, was excited and screamed down the phone.

“Me, Kim and the kids really want to come down for a visit so we might see you soon, hopefully anyway.”

“That’ll be so cool! You have to meet Jade, she’s really nice. Although we’re a little worried about Jack and Martha at the moment...” and Matilda filled Kit it on all the gossip.

Chapter 59

During the next week, Hayley, Jade and Matilda spent lots of time with Martha and looking after Katie. Martha was beginning to cheer up and seemed less tired. Hayley and Matilda would pick up Pippa and Noah and then meet Martha and Katie at the Diner for some milkshakes. The weather was getting slightly colder now, and too windy for the beach. This was a perfect arrangement because Jade was still working at the Diner and would sit with them at every available opportunity,

On the Saturday Matilda woke up with Ric cuddling her.

“Morning,” he said and kissed her forehead.

As Matilda got dressed, Ric went down to start breakfast. She came down to find the TV on and the smell of bacon coming from the kitchen.

“So, any plans for today?” asked Ric, calling from the kitchen.

“Sally invited us round, remember?” said Matilda.

“Oh yeah,” thought Ric.

An hour later they arrived at the Caravan Park and Pippa was running down the stairs to hug them both.

“Ric! Mattie!” she yelled out.

“You’re a bit hyper today, aren’t you,” laughed Ric as he hugged her.

“Tell me about it!” said Sally, making them drinks. “She’s been like this all morning.”

“Ric, will you watch my new Barbie DVD with me?” asked Pippa, smiling sweetly up at him.

“Do I have to?” asked Ric, but it was useless, he couldn’t say no to her.

“She’s been waiting until you get here to watch it,” laughed Sally.

“Great!” he replied, Pippa missed the sarcasm. He looked at Pippa, who was still smiling. “Anything for my little princess,” and he sat on the sofa while Pippa went to talk to Sally in the kitchen.

“He really can’t say no to her, can he,” said Sally, looking over at her daughter and foster son.

“Nope,” replied Matilda “It’s really sweet. They have a fantastic bond.”

“Mind you, she loves you picking her up from school. She has fun with you.”

“I think that was the best thing for me to do. I love it too, and it means I can relax in the day.”

“How’s Martha?” asked Sally.

“A bit better. We’ve been trying to spend lots of time with her, but Jack’s still working loads.”

“He’ll come around, he’ll realise family is important.”

“I hope so. So, how are things between you and Brad?” smiled Matilda.

“They’re good. I can’t tell you how grateful I am to you, what you said about loving two people.”

“Don’t mention it, I’m just glad I could help.”

“Have you talked to your mum recently? How are she and Tony?”

“I spoke the day before yesterday. They’re really good, loving French life. I know I was against the whole thing at first, but she sounds so happy and at the end of the day, that’s all I want. I think she misses not being around for the wedding planning though.”

“Well, it’s every mothers dream isn’t it. To see her daughter marry the man she loves,” said Sally.

Just over an hour later, the DVD finished and Ric came over to where Matilda and Sally were sat on the patio outside the kitchen.

“Did you have fun?” asked Matilda, smiling.

“Oh yeah tons of it!” replied Ric.

“Well come sit down, we’re discussing the wedding,” said Sally so Ric sat in the chair next to Matilda. Pippa followed Ric out and sat in the spare chair.

“Actually Pippa, we have something we wanted to ask you. You know me and Mattie are getting married in December?” said Ric.

“Yeah,” replied Pippa, looking at them both.

“Well, how would you like to be a flower girl?” asked Matilda.

“Do I get to wear a pretty dress?”

“Yep. You get to walk down the aisle in front of me, with lots of flowers in your hair and looking absolutely gorgeous,” said Matilda.

“Yay!” cried out Pippa and she gave both Matilda and Ric a hug.

They spent the rest of the day playing with Pippa and talking to Sally. Brad came over towards the end and was going to make them dinner.

“Actually I think we’re going to go, if that’s okay,” said Ric.

So they said their goodbyes, got massive hugs from Pippa and left.

“We could have stayed a bit longer if you’d wanted,” said Matilda, holding Ric’s hand as they walked through Summer Bay.

“Well, what if I wanted you all to myself and didn’t want to share you?” replied Ric, putting his arm round her waist.

“You’re so sweet.”

“And you love me for it,” smiled Ric.

When they got home, Matilda put the TV on and Ric went to get the take out menus. Ric walked into the room just as a newsflash came onto the screen.

“We have just received news that a plane has crash landed at Sydney Airport. Our crew have just reached the scene,” said the news reporter and the plane was shown on the screen, it looked like the front was on fire and ambulances and fire crews surrounded it. “Our sources said that there was a problem with the wheels and the plane skidded down the runway. Medics are currently taking the injured passengers to nearby hospitals while fire fighters put out the blaze. The pilot and co pilot are thought to be injured but okay and have managed to get away from the plane.”

“That looks bad,” said Ric.

Just as Ric picked up the phone to order the food, it rang.

“Hello?” he said, answering it...

Archived