You'll Never Be Alone

Guest summer_bay_rules

Sorry guys but next week I will be on holiday so this is the last chapter for at least a week. Hope you enjoy.

Chapter 100

Once they arrived home Ric helped Matilda get out of the car which took a while. Matilda took her crutches and hopped over to the front door. Ric opened it,

“Surprise!”

Matilda hopped into the room and found all her friends and most of her family in the room.

“Guys, you didn’t have to do this,” said Matilda as she moved over to the sofa. Ric propped her leg up on a pillow. On the wall there was a banner saying ‘Welcome home Mattie, we love you!’

“I did the banner!” said Pippa proudly.

“And I helped!” called out Ella.

“And me,” added Noah.

“And I told them what to put,” added Hayley.

“Thanks guys, it’s wonderful.”

“Shall I fire up the barbeque?” asked Jack.

“Good idea. The weather is gorgeous, we may as well make the most of living right on the beach,” said Matilda, happy to be home. Everyone started to go outside and Robbie, along with Ric helped Matilda.

“Don’t you guys have work?” wondered Matilda.

“Well, I didn’t have any charters,” said Scott.

“And I have the day off,” said Jack.

“School’s finished for the summer,” said Sally.

“Mr Stewart gave me the day off for the party,” said Becky.

“I’m home from Uni,” replied Lucas.

“And I’m on holiday,” finished Robbie.

“Mummy, can me and Ella and Noah go play on the beach?” Pippa asked Sally.

“Sure, just stay in front of the house and don’t go near the sea,” replied Sally.

“I’m so glad that Ella has gotten on so well with Pippa and Noah,” said Tasha, coming over to sit next to Matilda and Sally.

“Well Ella’s only a year younger.”

Once the food started cooking it was done quickly and Scott handed it out to everyone.

“Hot dog or burger?” he asked Matilda.

“Umm burger please,” replied Matilda and he returned seconds later with one. He then sat down beside her.

“It’s great having Robbie back isn’t it,” he said.

“Yeah, we’re not the only Hunter’s in the Bay for a while.”

“Does your leg hurt?” he asked his younger sister.

“Just a little, but the painkillers are great.” At that point Robbie came to talk and Scott went to see what Noah wanted.

“Hey sis, glad to be home?” asked Robbie.

“Definitely. What do you think of our house anyway?” asked Matilda.

“It’s great. I can see why you both fell in love with it.”

“Well I have a feeling I’m going to be seeing a lot more of this house in the coming weeks. Ric isn’t going to let me out,” laughed Matilda.

“It shows he cares about you,” replied Robbie.

“Did I hear my name being mentioned?” asked Ric as he came over and sat down.

“You might have done,” smiled Matilda.

“Are you okay? You’re leg isn’t hurting too much is it?”

“Ric I’m fine!”

“Well I’m going to take care of you, like you did with my arm.”

“And I really appreciate it,” said Matilda and she pulled Ric into a kiss.

“Okay! Hello! Older brother here, doesn’t want to see his youngest sister playing tonsil tennis,” said Robbie.

“So, are you having a good time?” Lucas asked Becky.

“Yeah thanks. I love it when everyone’s together. Finally I have a group of friends that are really tight and are great to be around. And I’m so glad that you’re back!” With that he kissed her.

Pippa, Ella and Noah walked up to the house to get some food and looked around. Ric and Matilda were kissing and so were Lucas and Becky.

“Ew!” called out Pippa. “What is with all the kissing!”

“Pip, it’s what grown ups do. You’ll understand in a few years,” called back Ric.

“The longer you find it disgusting, the happier I’ll be,” laughed Sally.

Katie started crying from where she was lay in her pushchair in the shade.

“Someone’s grumpy,” said Jack, picking her up and comforting her.

Matilda looked over at Martha to see her watching Jack and Katie.

“It’s great seeing them together,” Matilda said to Martha.

“Yeah it is. These last few months have been great. It’s hard to believe that I was ever worried about their bond. She’s turning into a real daddy’s girl.”

After everyone had finished their food, Jack suggested a game of soccer.

“Come on, everyone has to play, apart from Matilda of course,” called out Scott.

“That’s fine, I’ll sit and watch with Katie,” she held her arms out and Jack gave her Katie.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to stay and sit with you?” asked Ric.

“No I’m fine. Go and play, chill out.”

So Matilda sat back and watched a very entertaining game of soccer. The guys took it seriously and the girls didn’t. Ella and Pippa just sat down and waited for the ball to come to them and Noah was trying to score a goal.

“Come on son, we haven’t got all day,” moaned Scott.

“Leave him alone, he’s doing to brilliant job,” replied Hayley from where she was stood with Sally chatting.

“Okay, how about girls against boys?” suggested Robbie after a while.

“Sounds good,” said Jack while the others all nodded.

“So it’s me, Robbie, Lucas, Scott, Ric, Brad and Noah against Martha, Tasha, Hayley, Becky, Sally, Pippa and Ella,” said Jack.

“That’s not fair, we don’t know how to play properly!” protested Martha and Tasha.

“Well then you’re going down,” replied Robbie.

“Come on Pip, we need your help!” called Sally. Pippa and Ella came running over to the girls team.

“Right, we need to thrash them to prove that girls are better than boys!” said Hayley.

“Totally!” agreed the others.

“Let the battle of the sexes commence!”

“Go girls!” called Matilda from where she was sat. “I know you can do it!”

As it turned out, the girls weren’t that good.

“Tasha kick it!” called Martha as she watched the ball.

“Sorry,” apologised Tasha when she missed it.

Half way through they had another team huddle.

“Right, we’ve tried playing nicely and it hasn’t worked. The guys are making fun of us. We need new tactics. I say we try and ... manipulate our way to victory,” suggested Martha.

“You mean cheat?” asked Becky.

“Not exactly. Pippa, Ella we will need you to help us.”

After another couple of minutes they broke from their huddle.

“Go girls!” they all shouted, along with Matilda. Play started again and Brad was racing with the ball towards the goal.

Just as Brad was getting close, Pippa went running over.

“Brad! I hurt my finger, will you kiss it better?” The plan worked and Brad took his eyes off the ball and went over to Pippa. The ball was quickly taken by Martha and while the other guys were shouting at Brad, the girls scored.

“Brad!” shouted Ric.

“My finger feels better now,” smiled Pippa and she skipped away.

They kicked off again and Jack got the ball and ran towards the goal. Martha was the goalkeeper and was ready for him.

“You get this in and you can do whatever you want to me later,” she shouted. Jack kicked and missed the goal by about 5 metres.

“Guess you won’t,” laughed Martha and she went and celebrated with the rest of the girls.

“Not fair!” shouted back Jack.

In the end the girls won, 10 – 9. They celebrated by running madly and cheering at the top of their voices.

“Girls rule!” they all shouted.

“That is not fair, you cheated!” moaned Jack.

“No we didn’t,” Martha replied sweetly.

“You so did” joined in Robbie.

“Just face it, girls are better than boys.”

Matilda watched from her position on the sidelines as Jack raced after Martha.

“You take that back! Boys are SO better!” he shouted.

She felt comforted being around her friends and family. It was nice to know that after everything had happened, deaths, maniacs, Uni, and injuries that they could all come together and have fun. She may not be able to join in but watching was just as good. The sun was setting in the distance and Matilda watched it reflected in the sea. After all the madness that had gone on in all their lives, things seemed to be calming down, just like the sea. The summer made surfing hard as there were little or no waves. The sea at that present point in time was lapping up onto the beach. It was broken by Tasha running along the edge, Robbie was trying to catch her to tickle her. It was nice to know that although they were all adults and had responsibilities, they could sometimes act immature and have fun, escape from their lives for a few hours.

“What are you smiling at?” Ric asked Matilda as he came over.

“Everything,” replied Matilda.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 101

Two weeks later Ric had not let Matilda out of the house.

“I’m so bored!” she moaned as Ric brought her lunch.

“You have to rest!” replied Ric. They had the house to themselves as Lucas had taken Becky out to Yabbie Creek for lunch.

“Sally, Brad and Pippa are coming round for tea tonight, Lucas is hanging out with Jack,” explained Ric.

“Good, more people to talk to!”

An hour later there was a knock on the door and Ric answered it to find Drew.

“Hey mate, how are you?” asked Drew.

“I’m good, come in.”

“Drew! Hello!” called Matilda from her place on the sofa with her leg propped up on pillows.

“How are you Mattie?”

“I’d be better if I were allowed further than the garden,” smiled Matilda.

“Well I just thought I’d come and take over Mattie watch and let Ric go out for a couple of hours,” explained Drew.

“What a good idea, and so thoughtful,” said Matilda.

“Thanks Drew, I might just pop round to the garage and see how things are going,” said Ric. “As long as you’re going to be okay.”

“Yes, go. I’ll be fine with Drew,” smiled Matilda.

Matilda and Ric spent an enjoyable afternoon watching MTV and playing on the playstation.

“As long as it’s not a racing car or sports game I’m good at them,” laughed Matilda as her runner beat Drew’s in a 100 meter sprint. Ric returned and started preparing dinner. Drew left to meet some work colleagues at the Surf Club.

“It’s so good to see him making friends,” said Matilda.

“Yeah it is.”

“Oh and I was thinking, how about we add some more people to the wedding party?”

“More people!”

“Yeah well I was thinking, Noah, Ella as well as Kit’s kids. Josh and Peter.”

“This is going to be the biggest wedding anyone’s ever had!” exclaimed Ric.

“Yeah but I can’t leave them out. Their parents are all in the wedding!”

“Good point.”

“Hey Sally, have you heard of a programme called the OC?” Matilda asked after they had finished dinner.

“No, what’s it about?”

“Well there’s these rich kids who live in mansions in California and then this teenager Ryan from a poor town comes to live with one of them.”

“Is it any good?” asked Sally.

“It is actually. I started watching it because I’d watched all the Friends episodes. I’ve only watched a couple of episodes but it’s obvious that Seth and Summer have chemistry and Ryan and Marissa.”

“Well I’ll look out for it on TV,” said Sally.

The following day was Saturday and Matilda was once again bored.

“Please Ric! I need to get out of the house. We could go to the Diner or the Surf Club.”

“Mm okay fine, but if your leg starts to hurt at all then you must tell me, promise?”

“I promise, now pass me my crutches.”

Matilda hobbled down the driveway and they headed towards the Surf Club. Every couple of paces Ric would check to see if Matilda was okay.

“Ric I’m fine!” she replied.

They arrived at the Surf Club to find Becky and Hayley already there.

“Mattie!” they both called over when they spotted her.

“Scott and Lucas are playing pool if you want to join them,” explained Becky.

“I’ll be fine,” said Matilda, knowing what he was going to ask. “Go, play.”

With Ric out of the way the three girls were able to get down to some gossiping.

“So, how are things with you and Lucas?” asked Matilda.

“They’re great. I just love being with him and hate being apart,” sighed Becky.

“I know the feeling,” nodded Hayley.

“I mean we haven’t actually ... you know ... slept together yet, but I want to wait until the timing is perfect.”

“I understand. It was like that with me and Ric. I knew that I wanted to be with him but didn’t want to rush things. Not with everything I’ve been through before.”

“That’s exactly how I feel. It’s so great how you and Lucas are the best of friends with everything that’s happened.”

“It is. I mean years ago, before Uni we were together but then out parents got together. I mean living with each other as more or less brother and sister would ruin any relationship. It just got too hard. We were friends though, until last year. But then seeing him after mum and Tony died changed things. It helped to heal the old wounds. It’s great having him back from Uni.”

“Obviously I think so too,” replied Becky, looking over at Lucas playing pool.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” asked Ric that evening.

“I’m great Ric. It was good to get out. Where’s Luc?”

“He’s taken Becky out for a meal,” replied Ric.

“She didn’t say anything.”

“Well he surprised her.”

“That’s so sweet,” sighed Matilda.

“Do you realise that it’s not long before we are man and wife,” said Ric.

“I know, I’m so excited. I’ll get my cast off, have some physio and then can walk down the aisle!”

“Then off on the honeymoon, just me and you!” said Ric, sitting down beside her and pulling her close to him.

“I’m so excited. It’s all my dreams come true.”

Chapter 102

It was now Christmas Eve and Matilda had gotten her cast off a week ago. She still needed the aid of the crutches to walk though because her leg was very weak. The wedding was on the 28th and so in only 4 days time. She had been going to physio everyday in order to be able to walk unaided down the aisle.

“Ric! Can you bring down the fairy lights?” Matilda called up to Ric who was upstairs bringing presents down to put under the tree. Ric had relaxed a lot with Matilda and wasn’t so worried about her leg now it was healing. Kit, Kim and the children had arrived in Summer Bay the day before and were staying with Scott and Hayley. They were squished all in that house but they didn’t mind, they’re family after all. Henry had also arrived and was staying with Ric, Matilda and Lucas.

Lucas and Henry were currently putting the finishing touches to the decorations, hanging tinsel everywhere. Ric came down with the last of the Christmas presents and the fairy lights which he started to hang round the kitchen.

“Right Ric, so here’s the plan, tomorrow we wake up, open presents here with Luc and Henry then we go to Sally’s. We spend the morning there then all go to the Diner for Leah’s Christmas dinner. There we will meet up with everyone. In the afternoon, everyone will come back here with the gang and we’ll open more presents. Then in the evening go out to the beach to sing carols with everyone and enjoy the barbeque,” explained Matilda.

“Sounds good. It doesn’t seem like a year ago since last Christmas.”

“It does for me,” muttered Lucas. “I’m sorry how I behaved last year.”

“Lucas we’ve told you a thousand times, just forget about it!” said Matilda.

“Finished hanging the tinsel!” called out Henry, “anything else you want me to do twin sis?”

“Umm how about going over to Scott’s and making sure he’s written his ‘father of the bride’ speech for the wedding?” suggested Matilda. “Oh and then go round to Jack’s and make sure he’s written best man speech.”

“And while you’re there, ask him for the plans for the buck’s night,” called out Ric.

“Okay, will do. You just relax on the sofa Mattie, jest your leg.”

“Don’t worry, I’m resting!”

“There’s so much happening at the moment,” said Lucas, taking a break and sitting down. We’ve got Christmas tomorrow, then the Buck’s night the day after. A day of rest to recover and then it’s the wedding!”

“Yeah and on New Year’s day we jet off to Iceland!” squealed Matilda.

“I still can’t believe I told you the surprise,” moaned Ric.

“Hey I was unconscious, you wanted me back didn’t you!”

“Well ...” said Ric, and Matilda chucked a cushion at him. “Only joking, of course I wanted you back, I can’t live without you,” and he came over and kissed her passionately.

“Okay, more than I want to see!” said Lucas, covering his eyes with his hands.

“Dude it’s only a kiss,” laughed Ric.

After lunch Lucas went to meet Becky after her shift at the Surf Club and Henry went to catch up with Kit and Kim. Ric had gone upstairs and Matilda guessed he was wrapping her present. She slowly hopped on her crutches outside and down to the sand. There, she sat down and looked out to see. Christmas had always been her favourite time, the best. When she was younger it was because she was home from boarding school and could enjoy being with her parents and brothers and sister. When she was older it was the thought of everyone coming together. The whole Bay would come together as one and unite in celebrating. She loved the way that everyone was so happy. Walking round the shops everything was decorated and everyone seemed cheerful. Last year she had found the one she loved and enjoyed spending it in his company. It was different this year though. Things had changed and people were missing. Beth and Tony had been in France this time last year. They weren’t with Matilda but she knew they were only a phone call away. This year they weren’t. Last year Matilda and Belle were friends again and met up on the beach to share the joy of Christmas. They couldn’t do that this year. However there was one good thing. A year ago her and Lucas got into a massive fight but this year, now, they were friends again and he was living with them.

It had been about 13 months since she had come home from University and a lot had happened. Matilda sat looking out to sea and thought of Belle, then her thoughts moved to Beth and Tony. She felt tears rolling down her cheeks but she didn’t wipe them away. She couldn’t be bothered. She had cried so much in the past year and she was becoming accustomed to it.

She heard movement behind her and she was cast into a shadow. Even before she looked up she knew who it was.

“Mattie...” Ric said tentatively. He knew that what she was going through was hard. He sat down beside her and she leaned her head against his shoulder.

“They should be here,” she whispered. Ric put his arm around her.

“I know,” he replied. He too thought of Belle, how young she was. That was no age to die. Then he thought of Matilda’s mum and Tony.

“I miss them so much,” Matilda cried.

“I know you do baby. But I’m sure they’re looking over you, protecting you.”

“You think?”

“Why not?” replied Ric.

“Mum loved Christmas and was so, so happy that we are getting married.”

“So she won’t want you to be sad, but to enjoy it and have the best day ever.”

“Yeah,” agreed Matilda.

“She would be so proud of you Mattie. These last few weeks have been ... eventful but we’ve all come through them. I know we’ve both lost so much this year but it could have been worse. I thought I was going to lose you. And we’ve come through everything and are stronger for it. And now we know that we want to be with each other forever.”

“How come you always know what to say?” asked Matilda.

“ Well I do have a natural gift,” smiled Ric.

“Be careful, or you won’t fit your big head through the door,” Matilda smiled back.

“Ah! That hurt Mattie!”

“Yeah yeah,” laughed Matilda. Ric cupped her face in his hands and looked into his eyes.

“As long as we have each other, we can get through anything,” he said. And he wiped her tears away and kissed her.

“Thanks Ric, I love you.”

“Love you too, otherwise this wedding would be a big mistake,” he laughed.

“I thought I told you not to joke about the wedding!”

“Come on, lets get back inside. You still haven’t finished wrapping all your presents,” said Ric.

“You know I hate wrapping! Can’t you do it for me?”

“Well, that depends,” said Ric.

“On what?”

“On how nice you are to me.”

Matilda kissed him passionately. “Maybe you’ll have to wait and find that out tonight.”

“Okay fine, I’ll do your wrapping.”

“Thank you baby, now can you do one more thing for me?” asked Matilda.

“What’s that?” asked Ric.

“Help me get up?”

Ric picked her up and made sure she was stood balanced on one leg and then got her crutches for her.

“What would I do without you?” she asked.

“I really don’t know,” he smiled in reply.

This is more of a filler chapter and I'm not completely happy with it. I'm just about to start writing the chapters with the hen and buck's night.

Enjoy.

Chapter 103

“Mattie, Mattie wake up,” said Ric from where he was in bed next to her watching her sleep. Matilda opened her eyes and looked at him.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

“Nothing’s wrong, it’s Christmas. I just wanted you to wake up so that we can open presents!”

“Typical,” sighed Matilda. She rubbed her eyes and allowed herself to properly wake up. “Happy Christmas baby,” she said and kissed him passionately. “Are the others awake?”

“Yeah I’ve heard them both go downstairs,” replied Ric.

“Well then, we’d better get down there.” Matilda reached over for her crutches to get out of bed.

They went down to find Henry and Lucas making breakfast.

“We’d thought we’d do a full English as lunch at the Diner won’t be until quite late,” explained Henry.

“That’s so thoughtful guys,” said Matilda as she sat in the lounge area.

Whilst the food was cooking they all sat down to open the presents from each other. “Here’s your present from me,” said Ric, handing Matilda a present.

She opened it to find vouchers for a free day at a day spa.

“It’s all arranged, it’s just outside the city and you and the girls are going the day before the wedding. It’s a chance for you to all recover from the hen night and relax before the wedding.”

“That’s great, thank you so much!” and Matilda kissed Ric.

Matilda got Ric an expensive watch that he had been looking at in Yabbie Creek. After eating all the delicious food that the guys had prepared, Matilda and Ric left for the Caravan Park. Lucas was going to go and see Becky and Henry was going to go round to Scott’s.

Matilda was depending on her crutches less and less which was good as she was determined to walk down the aisle. Pippa was very excited about Christmas and presents were everywhere. From Sally and Brad she had received a massive Barbie house which she couldn’t wait to show Ella and Noah.

“Ric come and play with me!” she said and she took his hand and pulled him to where Brad was already sat next to the house. They spent the next few hours opening more presents and having fun.

“Leah will kill us if we’re late, we’d better get going,” said Sally once it got past mid day.

At the Diner they found all the tables arranged in a big square. Everyone else was already there and included all of the gang. They all enjoyed the delicious meal and afterwards pulled the crackers and all put on their funny hats. At that point Mr Stewart stood up to speak.

“Now, I won’t make a big speech but I’d just like to say that being here and seeing the community come together like this fills me with happiness. That a room full of people can celebrate together and enjoy spending time together is great. Looking around makes me see that there really is no place I’d rather be,” and he sat back down again.

“That’s nice granddad,” called out Ric.

When they finally felt like moving again they said goodbye to Sally and Brad and made their way home. Ric, Matilda, Lucas, Becky, Henry, Scott, Hayley, Noah, Robbie, Tasha, Ella, Jack, Martha, Katie, Kit, Kim, Josh and Peter were all spending the afternoon at the Beachside villa.

When they got home, lots more presents were exchanged and soon it was impossible to see the floor. They were all squashed inside and so instead, made their was outside. Ella, Noah, Peter and Josh were all playing together and the adults were talking in groups.

“I can’t believe we’re going to a spa,” Matilda said to Martha.

“I know, it’s going to be great. We can get facials, massages, everything.”

“I’m really looking forward to it,” added Becky.

“So, for the Buck’s night, I don’t want a stripper,” Ric told Scott.

“Tell that to Jack, he’s organising it,” replied Scott.

“Did I just hear my name?” asked Jack.

“Yeah mate, listen, no strippers.”

“But it’s a buck’s night, it’s like the law to have strippers!”

“Did I just hear what I thought I heard?” called over Matilda.

“No, we’re just talking about ...” said Ric.

“Boats,” finished Scott.

“Mmm of course you were,” smiled Matilda.

“Boats?” laughed Ric, “you couldn’t have said anything else?”

“Sorry mate.”

“It’s great being back here,” Tasha said to Martha and Matilda.

“Do you ever think of ... coming back? Like Hayley and Scott,” asked Martha. Tasha and Martha were always the best of friends and had really missed each other when Tasha had moved to America.

“Sometimes, like I wonder how life would be if we hadn’t have moved. All the things we missed out on, like Mattie’s graduation and everything.”

“I bet the weather makes here more appealing too,” added Matilda.

“Definitely. But, our life over there is good. Ella has some great friends and Robbie loves his job as a photographer. It’s being part of a community I miss. Here, everyone knows everyone. At home it’s completely different and everyone keeps themselves to themselves. That’s why I love coming back here for visits.”

“Yeah well you’re very welcome here anytime,” said Martha and she reached over and hugged Tasha, after a while Matilda joined in the hug.

When the sun started going down they all made their way further along the beach to where Alf was organising the barbeque and bonfire. Christmas carols were being played from a portable CD player and people were singing and dancing.

“It’s just like last year,” murmured Matilda. “Except ... Belle.”

“She’s here, in spirit,” said Ric and he held Matilda close.

When people finally started going home Lucas and Becky came over to tell Ric and Matilda they would be spending the night at Becky’s. Both looked very happy and couldn’t stop smiling. Matilda, Ric and Henry all made their way back home and Henry said he was going to bed. Matilda and Ric went up not long after him but didn’t go to sleep.

“You know, this is the last night we’ll spend together before we’re husband and wife,” said Matilda.

“Oh yeah, tomorrow we’ll be at our separate parties and so I’m sleeping at Jack’s then the next night we can’t see each other because it’s bad luck. Maybe we ought to make the most of it!”

Hey guys. Here's the chapter with the hen and buck's nights. I'm in a good mood at the moment as I got my AS results this morning, 3A's and a B! So I decided to write another chapter, hope you enjoy.

Chapter 104

“Ric! I’m off to physio,” called out Matilda the day after Christmas. Ric came running down the stairs.

“So, I won’t see you now until the wedding,” said Ric sadly.

“Well, come and kiss me goodbye then,” she smiled. Ric went over and kissed her passionately.

“So Becky’s taking you?”

“Yep, then we’re coming back here for the hen party. By which time you’ll be at Jack’s and then tomorrow I’m off to the spa. The next time you see me I’ll be wearing me wedding dress and hopefully looking like a million dollars.”

“You always look like a princess,” smiled Ric and he kissed her again.

After several minutes Matilda left and got into Becky’s car.

“You’ll be pleased to know that you no longer need you’re crutches,” said the physio towards the end of the session.

“That’s what I wanted to hear!” beamed Matilda.

“You’ll be a bit unsteady on your feet for a few days and will have a limp but your leg has healed superbly. I want to see you in about a month just to check things over but other than that, everything’s fine.”

“Thank you so much,” smiled Matilda and she actually gave the physio a hug.

Matilda walked back into her house afterwards, limping but glad to be off the crutches.

“Can you help me set up?” she asked Becky.

“Sure, what can I do?”

“Well we need to move all the furniture to the edge of the room and then bring down some mattresses so that we’ll be comfy.”

“Hang on, you sit down, I’ll call Hayley to come and help.”

“Why don’t I go and check we have enough alcohol?” suggested Matilda.

“Great idea!

A couple of hours later Matilda was sat with Becky, Hayley, Martha, Rachel, Sally, Kit, and Tasha.

“So, we thought that instead of going out, we’d have a girls night in,” said Hayley who had been in charge of organising the night.

“Yeah we don’t have to go out to have a good time,” added Martha.

“Okay so everyone hold out your glasses and I’ll get the wine,” said Hayley.

Meanwhile over at Jack’s house the guys were all about to go out.

“Where are we going?” asked Ric, who had no idea.

“You’ll see when we get there,” smiled Jack. A minibus with a private driver had been hired for the evening so that it didn’t matter how much they had to drink.

“Just tell me!”

Half an hour later Ric found out when they pulled up in front of the most talked about club in the area.

“Lets get this party started!” shouted Robbie as he climbed out of the minibus.

“Bro, you’re such a loser,” joked Scott.

“Yeah, yeah whatever!”

At the girls party they had all had plenty of drink and were now chatting about the wedding.

“It’s going to be so great,” squealed Matilda, “I just want the wedding to be right now! I want to see his face when I walk down the aisle and I can’t wait until New Years day when we go on the honey moon. Two weeks of nothing but us, with no one to distract us.”

“How much have you had?” asked Kit.

“Not much, I don’t really remember.”

“Don’t worry, you’ve had as much as me, and I feel positively great,” slurred Hayley.

“I love weddings, they are such happy occasions,” said Becky.

“Mine was the best day of my life,” said Tasha.

“Okay guys, another vodka shot. Down it in one or a forfeit,” instructed Jack. Everyone downed their drinks apart form Henry who could only manage half.

“Forfeit!” shouted all the others.

“Okay, go and snog that girl over there,” said Scott, pointing at a girl who was surrounded by her friends.

“No problem brother,” said Henry and he made his way over. The others were in hysterics when Henry kissed the girl and then received a slap across the face. He made his way back to the group bright red with embarrassment.

“Truth or dare!” shouted Martha from where she was sat propped up against pillows. “Mattie you’re first as you’re the bride to be.”

“Okay, umm dare, no truth,” she replied.

“Which one?”

“Truth!”

“Okay, who was the first guy you slept with and when?” asked Martha.

“I really don’t want to hear that about my sister,” moaned Kit.

“The first and only guy is Ric and we first slept together ... it must have been about January time because Belle was in hospital.”

“That’s so sweet that you’ve only ever been with him,” smiled Becky.

“Who’s next?” asked Sally, not wanting to hear details about the person she calls her son.

“Me! I’ll go!” called out Martha. “I want a dare!”

“Okay, who can think of a dare for Martha?” asked Hayley.

“Do a nude run along the beach to the Surf Club and back,” suggested Tasha.

“Tash, it’s not like you to suggest something like that,” giggled Hayley.

“I know, I think it’s the alcohol.”

“Which one of you handsome boys is the groom to be?” asked a woman who came over. Everyone immediately pointed towards Ric who was wondering what was going on.

“I’ve been instructed to give you a lap dance,” said the girl.

“That really isn’t necessary,” said Ric.

“Ric just let the hot girl dance for you!” said Henry.

The girl started dancing for him but as much as he liked it, he couldn’t help thinking that he only wanted Matilda to dance like that for him.

Martha completed her run and came back to the group collapsing with laughter.

“Granddad ... was locking ... the Surf ... Club up. He ... looked ...towards the beach ... and saw me!” she giggled.

“Oh my god!” squealed the others.

“I just ran for it!” added Martha.

“Okay so who’s next?”

At about 2 in the morning, after a lot more fun and laughter all the girls found a place on the floor to sleep. Mattresses and pillows littered the floor and before long most were fast asleep. Arms and legs were everywhere, with lots of kicking happening when people fidgeted. Matilda however stayed awake for a bit longer. She thought about the wedding and how happy Ric made her feel. She truly had found the man of her dreams, her fairytale prince. She finally managed to get to sleep with her dreams full of them living happily ever after.

Meanwhile the guys returned home in the early hours and went to sleep almost immediately, all except Ric. He stayed awake thinking about how much he cared about Matilda and how they were a match made in heaven.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 106

“Mattie how long have you been up?” asked Becky when she came down the following morning, she had been sleeping in Lucas’ room.

“Umm about an hour,” smiled Matilda as she looked at the clock on the wall. “I’m just too excited to sleep!” she squealed.

“I’m not surprised, today’s going to be great. How’s your leg?”

“I’ve been doing the exercises to strengthen it. I just want to walk down the aisle normally and not limp.”

“Who wants a champagne breakfast?” called out Martha as she held up the bottle. The lounge was now full of people. Matilda and Becky had been joined by Hayley, Noah, Martha (Katie was with Irene), Kit, Josh, Peter, Tasha, Ella, Sally and Pippa.

“No thanks, I’m never drinking ever again!” replied Tasha, thinking of the morning after the hen party.

“Mummy can I put my dress on now?” asked Pippa who was fighting Matilda over who was most excited.

Over at Jack’s, the guys were all trying to get ready.

“I think I’m still hung over from the buck’s party,” moaned Henry.

“Isn’t it supposed to be the groom saying that?” asked Scott.

“I really failed being best man,” complained Jack, again.

“Has anyone seen my speech?” asked Scott, who was making the father of the bride speech.

“Umm I think it was on the kitchen table,” answered Brad.

“Jack so you have the rings?” asked Ric, for the tenth time in the last half hour.

“YES! Now stop asking.”

“I have so many butterflies in my stomach,” smiled Matilda as she let Hayley do her hair and Sally her make up. “I just want everything to be perfect.”

“It will be,” replied Sally. “Now shut your eyes so I can put eye shadow on you.” Matilda shut her eyes and it was as if a video started playing in her head. She saw herself walking down the aisle and then saying her vows looking into Ric’s eyes.

“Scott should be here soon,” said Becky. “You’d better get your dress on,” once they had done hair and make up.

“Okay, but I need some people to help do it up at the back because I can’t reach. So Matilda, Kit and Hayley all went upstairs. The bridesmaids all had their dresses on and were ready.

The doorbell rang just as Matilda was ready. Becky answered it and let Scott in, telling him to go upstairs and see Matilda. He went up and saw Matilda with her back to the door, looking in the mirror. She heard him and turned around.

“Mattie,” breathed Scott. “You look ... amazing. Are you sure you’re my baby sister?” he asked.

“I’m not such a baby anymore,” smiled Matilda, who admired herself in her dress, with her hair slightly curled.

“You can say that again. I can’t believe how grown up you look.”

“I just wish mum and dad were here to see me.”

“I know, but ... will I do instead?”

“Definitely,” smiled Matilda.

“I know dad would have wanted to be here,” said Scott. “To see his little princess marry her price.”

“I know, it would have been great to have him walk down the aisle with me, but you’re the next best thing, apart from mum of course.”

“She was so happy you and Ric got together, she knew it was right for you Mattie,” and Scott walked across the room and hugged his sister.

“We’d better get going or else Ric will think I’ve stood him up,” joked Matilda.

They went downstairs and everyone told Matilda how beautiful she looked.

“You look like my Barbie doll,” said Pippa.

“The limo is here!” called Sally who was looking out the window.

“The next time I come back here I’ll be married,” said Matilda. “I’m so happy.”

“Come on, we don’t want to keep your prince charming waiting,” added Becky.

“Do I look okay?” she asked nervously.

“Mattie you look like a princess, and I’m not just saying that,” replied Tasha.

“Thanks Tash.”

They all got into the limo which drove them round the bay and to the beach in front of the surf club which was where the ceremony was being held. They could have easily walked, but it was much more fun to take a limo ride.

“Looks like everyone’s here,” said Martha, looking towards the beach.

“Ready to get married sis?” asked Scott.

“Definitely,” replied Matilda, smiling. “Let’s go.”

Chapter 107

Matilda stepped out of the limo and Scott offered his arm to her. Sally went to sit next to Brad and she signalled for the music to start playing. Pippa and the other children all walked down the aisle one behind the other and everyone remarked how cute they all looked. They took their place in the front row and then the adult bridesmaids all took their turn walking down the aisle. Finally the music changed and it was time for Matilda and Scott.

“Thank you Scott,” Matilda said, just before they began to walk.

“What for?”

“For ... everything, being here for me, looking after me. Just ... everything.”

“Don’t mention it. You’ll always be my baby sis.”

Matilda and Scott started to walk towards the cluster of chairs and people all stood up. Matilda was walking without limping, which she was very proud of. Everyone turned to look at her and smiled. Matilda could see Ric at the front, stood next to Jack. He turned to look at her and his mouth fell open, she really did look like a princess.

Matilda and Scott slowly made their way down the aisle until Matilda was stood next to Ric.

“You look absolutely stunning,” whispered Ric so that only Matilda could hear.

“Thank you,” she smiled back. “Ready to get married?”

“Oh I think so,” he smiled.

They both turned to face the vicar and the ceremony started.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, we are here today to witness the joining of Matilda Jane Hunter and Eric Dalby in holy matrimony...” The ceremony went on until it was time for the vows.

“The couple have requested that they say something personal at this point. So I am going to hand over to Ric,” said the vicar and Ric got ready to speak.

“Mattie, this is possibly the happiest day of my life. This past year of my life has been amazing and that is all because of you. When I first moved to Summer Bay you were the first person to accept me and talk to me like a normal person. You helped me to fit in and it’s because of you that I stuck around and got accepted into the family Sally and Flynn built. We were friends for a long time and saw each other go in and out of other relationships. We comforted each other and listened. I don’t think either of us thought about how it would turn out. But when you moved to Uni I knew I wanted something more. I waited for your visits back to the Bay. When you returned after graduation I knew that I had to tell you, to see if you felt the same way. We both know how that turned out, but we eventually go together. This past year has been ... eventful to say the least. We’ve had to say goodbye to friends and family, and hello to others. But we got through it because we had each other. I’d just like to say that I don’t know where I would be without you Mattie and I can’t wait to start our married life together.” Ric finished and everyone clapped and cheered. Colleen could be seen wiping a tear from her eye.

“Matilda would now like to say something,” said the vicar.

“Ric, I truly believe that you are my soul mate and my prince charming. You’ve got me through so much in my life I really don’t know if I could have handled it without you. When I came back from University I felt so alone in the world and didn’t know what to do. But you were there for me. I might have freaked out a bit, but deep down I knew it was right. You were the first guy friend I had that I felt comfortable around. Before, I was always tense, but with you it was different. I should have known then that deep down I had feelings for you. As you said, a lot has happened since we got together, both good and bad. But because we had each other for support, we have been able to get through it. A wise person said, only a couple of days ago, that we are stronger because of it and I truly believe that. I would just like to thank you for being my prince and say that I never knew I could love someone this much.” Matilda finished and smiled at Ric. Then everyone started clapping and cheering once again and Colleen wiped more tears from her eyes.

The vicar started speaking again before inviting Becky up to read a quote.

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia American Expert on Love, Lecturer, Author”

Then it was Robbie’s turn.

“Love is so powerful because being loved causes one to love oneself. Nothing contributes to the self-image more than being loved by another. When the words, "I love you" are expressed to you for the first time, your world blossoms, your heart glows with inspiration, confidence and thoughts of the mountains you can move. It’s more than an emotional kick; suddenly you like yourself more than you ever have before. Robert Conklin. I would also just like to add how happy I am to see my sister marrying the man she loves,” added Robbie.

“Now I have to ask this,” said the vicar looking around. “Does anyone here know of any reason why these two should not be joined in holy matrimony?” There was silence. Matilda held her breath and closed her eyes and prayed that no one would say anything.

“In that case, it’s time for the rings,” declared the vicar and Matilda relaxed. Ric and Matilda exchanged rings.

“I am now very happy to declare you both husband and wife,” said the vicar and Matilda’s smile spread right across her face. The vicar then said the six words that Ric had been waiting to here since he first saw how gorgeous Matilda looked when she walked down the aisle.

“You may now kiss the bride.”

Ric cupped Matilda’s chin in his hands and then leaned down to kiss her passionately.

“How does it feel to be married, Mrs Matilda Hunter Dalby?” asked Ric.

“Wonderful,” smiled Matilda. “You sure you’re okay with me keeping Hunter on my name?” asked Matilda quietly.

“Of course, you’ll always be a Hunter.”

“Thanks.”

Ric took Matilda’s hand in his and then they walked back down the aisle with everyone throwing confetti on them.

“Everyone is now invited to join the happy couple celebrate at the Headland Hotel,” called out Jack.

“It’s time to party!” said Robbie.

“Rob, you’re so lame,” joked Matilda from where she was stood leaning into her new husband.

Matilda and Ric got into the limo and waved at the others on the beach. The limo pulled away taking them to the reception.

“How happy are you right now?” asked Ric.

“Happier than I’ve ever been in my life,” replied Matilda and she kissed him. “I can’t believe we’re married.”

“I see you can walk without limping now,” said Ric.

“You should have seen me yesterday, I was practicing all day. I wanted everything to be perfect.”

“It was. Have I mentioned how absolutely drop dead gorgeous you look in that dress?”

“I don’t know, but that’s always nice to hear. Especially from my husband.”

The wedding reception! The song is 'This I swear' sang by Nick Lachey.

Chapter 108

“Ladies and Gentlemen, please put your hands together to welcome the newly married couple!” announced Jack and Matilda and Ric entered the room arm in arm. “Food will be served shortly.”

Matilda and Ric were immediately swarmed with people congratulating them.

“Mattie you’re my sister now,” smiled Pippa.

“Is that okay with you?” asked Matilda.

“Yes!” Then Pippa left to go and talk to Ella.

“Welcome to the family,” Robbie said to Ric and shook his hand.

“Yeah, just make sure you don’t hurt my twin sis,” added Henry, but he was smiling while he said it.

“Don’t worry, I won’t,” replied Ric.

Congratulations you two,” said Sally, coming over and hugging them both. “The speeches you made were wonderful.”

Soon after, everyone was sitting down for the food.

“Looking forward to the honeymoon?” asked Tasha.

“Yeah, it’s going to be great, a real trip of a lifetime. Ric did such a good job organising it,” said Matilda.

“Well, I am pretty great,” laughed Ric.

After everyone had eaten, it was time for the speeches. Scott went first.

“Now, we all know that traditionally the father of the bride speaks at this point but, as you all know that is not possible. And so I was truly honoured when Matilda asked me to take his place. Now when we were growing up, Mattie could be extremely annoying, she would moan if she didn’t get her own way or if you shaded her while she was trying to get a tan.” Many people laughed at that point. “But she could also be great. She would listen to people’s problems and try to help. She brought life into the farm we lived on and made it a happier place. She would laugh and smile all the time and it was great to see someone so happy. When we moved to the Bay she had a hard time finding friends but that was okay because she always had Henry with her by her side. But then along came Ric. He has already mentioned today how great it was to meet Mattie and that she changed his life. I don’t know if he quite realises how much he changed Matilda’s life. For the first time after our father’s death she was smiling again and happy. For the rest of her high school career she enjoyed spending time with friends and Ric was always one of them. He was there for her during the bad times, one of which was when she suffered burns at the hands of the summer bay stalker. But with the help of friends she got through it and returned to the happy smiley girl she is. Many wondered if there was something between Ric and Matilda and our suspicions were confirmed little over a year ago when Matilda phoned and said she and Ric were in a relationship. I would just like to thank Ric for everything he has done for Mattie and say I think you two are the perfect couple. Welcome to the family.” At that point Scott raised his glass and everyone else in the room followed and they toasted the couple.

Then Sally stood up to speak.

“I won’t say much but I would just like to officially welcome Matilda to the family. Matilda has not only helped Ric but also the whole family. Ric, Flynn would be very proud of you and I know he would have welcomed Matilda into the family with open arms. And I know that Pippa is especially happy to have you as a sister.”

“Okay guys, I have a special present for my sister and Ric,” said Robbie as he stood up and moved over to where a projector was set up. Everyone wondered what he was doing. “Now as some of you may know I am a very talented and successful photographer,” several people laughed. “So I looked through all my old photos and asked a couple of people for some more recent ones and put together this.” He signalled for the lights to go out and then the screen lit up. The first photo was of Matilda on the beach, smiling and then there were lots of her laughing and joking around. Then some of Ric who was also smiling. Then there was one of Ric chasing Matilda on the beach, both in their school uniform, messing around on the way to school. Then there were several of them together, but at the time they were only friends. They were hugging and just having fun together. Various photos from school discos were shown and of them dancing together. Then there was one of them in the Diner and Matilda was sat with Scott and Ric was in the background, looking over at Matilda. Then came the more recent shots, Matilda guessed they were taken by Jack who was always taking pictures of Katie. This time they were cuddling and holding hands. At the end two words came across the screen, “True Love”. Everyone started clapping and the light came back on. Matilda didn’t know where to look, embarrassed over all the photos but loving Robbie for the sweet idea. So she looked at Ric, who seemed to be feeling the same as her.

Matilda then stood up to speak. Suddenly she was shy and hesitated.

“I know that I spoke at the service earlier but I just wanted to say something more... There are several people that should have been here today and I just wanted to acknowledge them. Scott did a wonderful job filling in for the father of the bride role, but it should have been my dad. While he was alive we had our differences but we always put them to one side. Then there is my mum,” at this point Ric reached out to Matilda’s hand which was one the table. “Her and Tony should both have been here today and they were so happy and looking forward to today. But I am not the only one missing a parent here, although they were never related by blood, Flynn was the closest person to a father that Ric had and he should also be sat at this top table. Among the bridesmaids should be sat Belle who was far too young to be taken from this world. However we have to believe that they are here in spirit, looking down on us. And therefore can you all raise your glasses to those who couldn’t be here,” and at that point everyone in the room stood up and raised their glasses.

“It is now time for the bride and groom to take their first dance as a married couple,” announced Jack. Ric stood up and offered his hand to Matilda, she had no idea what song was going to be played because Ric had said he would choose it and wouldn’t tell her. Hand in hand they made their way over to the middle of the dance floor.

“This song is for you Mattie,” said Ric quietly.

You're there by my side

In every way

I know that you would not forsake me

I give you my life

Would not think twice

Your love is all I need believe me

I may not say it quite as much as I should

When I say I love you darling that means for good

So open up your heart and let me in

And I will love you 'til forever

Until death do us part we'll be together

So take my hand and hold on tight

And we'll get there

This I swear

I'm wondering how I ever got by

Without you in my life to guide me

Where ever I go the one thing that's true

Is everything I do I do for you

I may not say it quite as much as I should

When I say I love you darling that means for good

So open up your heart and let me in

And we'll get there

This I swear

So whenever you get there

Just reach out for me

I'll never let you down my love

And we'll get there

This I swear

And we'll get there

This I swear

Chapter 109

The song finished and everyone else made their way onto the dance floor.

“That song was ... perfect,” said Matilda as she reached up and kissed Ric softly on the lips.

“I’m glad you liked it, it was so hard trying to find the right one,” replied Ric.

After a couple more songs Ric led Matilda off the dance floor and back to their seats. “What you said before ... about all the people who should be here, it was perfect,” said Ric.

“Really? I was so nervous. I didn’t know whether to say it or not but then I thought that they should get a mention,” replied Matilda.

“I was so proud of you.”

“Okay ladies and gentlemen, if you would please take a break from dancing, it is time for the bride and groom to cut the cake,” announced Jack and the music stopped playing.

Matilda looked at the door leading to the kitchen and watched as a couple of waiters brought the cake out on a trolley. She suddenly remembered when, at Jack and Martha’s wedding, the sparklers caused the explosion that left her scarred and caused her to have an eating disorder. She unintentionally touched her shoulder where the plastic surgery made the scars more or less invisible and with make up they couldn’t be seen at all. She could still remember the screaming and the fire raging around her. She looked up and saw Ric holding out his hand for her.

“Are you alright?” he asked so that only she could hear.

“Yeah I’m fine,” she smiled and took his hand and stood up.

“I made sure they didn’t use sparklers,” he whispered into her ear.

“How did you ...?”

“Just a hunch,” smiled Ric.

Robbie had set up his camera to take photos of the couple cutting the cake and so Ric took the knife off the table and Matilda clasped her hand over his.

“While the kitchen staff cut the cake properly, could everyone make their way outside for more photos,” said Robbie. The sun was setting over the sea and so it was the perfect time for photos.

After Robbie had taken what felt like a thousand photos, everyone went back in to eat cake and dance some more. All of the children could be seen right in the middle of the dance floor in a circle all holding hands dancing. Robbie was standing near them taking yet more photos.

“Care to dance?” asked Ric after they had both eaten a piece of cake.

“Sure,” and Matilda took Ric’s hand and they went to the dance floor.

After a while Matilda stumbled and moaned in pain as her knee gave way. Ric quickly reached out and stopped her from falling.

“Ow!” moaned Matilda as she grasped her knee.

“Mattie? Are you okay?” asked Ric worriedly.

“Yeah I’m fine,” lied Matilda.

By this time the people around her were looking and Rachel was hurrying over ready to help. Ric picked up Matilda and carried her over to their seats. He then rested Matilda’s leg on another chair.

“I’m fine Ric. Stop worrying,” replied Matilda. Rachel came over and took a look at Matilda’s leg.

“It looks like you just over did it,” Rachel said. “You’ve only been off crutches a couple of days so you need to take it easy.”

“Thanks Rachel, why don’t you go back and dance,” said Matilda, not wanting to spoil anyone’s evening. Rachel left and it was just Ric and Matilda.

“I’m sorry,” said Matilda.

“What for?”

“For ... spoiling the night. I wanted everything to be perfect.”

“It is. You haven’t spoiled anything. I’m not a big dancer anyway. And as long as you’re okay then I’m happy. Now you just stay there, I’ll go get us some drinks and maybe another piece of cake.”

“I don’t deserve you,” smiled Matilda.

“Of course you do,” replied Ric.

For the rest of the evening Matilda sat with her leg resting on a second chair and watching everyone having a fabulous time. People kept coming to talk to her and Ric was with her for most of the time. She was glad that it hadn’t ruined the whole day and was thankful it hadn’t happened during their first dance together. Eventually the music began to wind down and all of the children were either struggling to keep their eyes open or were already asleep.

“Ready to go to the honeymoon suite?” asked Ric.

“Definitely.”

“Can you walk?”

“Umm I think so,” Matilda stood up and yelped in pain and sat back down.

“It’s okay, I’ll carry you,” smiled Ric and lifted Matilda into his arms.

Everyone threw more confetti over them as they left and minutes later a doorman was opening the door for them into the honeymoon suite. Petals and candles were everywhere. Ric carefully put Matilda onto the bed and then lay down next to her.

He reached across and held her hand.

“So, was today as good as you imagined it would be?” he asked.

“Yes, apart from my leg.”

“It didn’t ruin anything and don’t keep thinking it did,” replied Ric.

“You sure?”

“Of course. The most important thing is that now we are husband and wife. So, Mrs Matilda Hunter Dalby, what do you feel like doing now?”

“You know, they say that warm water is good for injuries and there’s a Jacuzzi in the bathroom. Why don’t we both enjoy a warm soak and then ... we’ll have to see.”

“I like the way you think,” smiled Ric.

Chapter 110

Just over two weeks into their married life, Matilda and Ric were on a plane flying back from their honeymoon. On New Year’s day they had flown to Iceland, and spent 5 days there. For both of them it was their first time seeing snow and both loved it, although the cold did get to them after a while. Then they flew back to London and spent 3 days there looking at all the sites. The remainder of the honeymoon was spent in an all inclusive 5 star hotel in the Caribbean.

“Baby it’s okay now, take off is over,” said Matilda reassuringly to Ric who absolutely hated take off.

“Good. So, what was your best part of the honeymoon?” asked Ric, relaxing a little and loosening his grip on Matilda’s hand.

“Mm well I really enjoyed playing in the snow, the husky ride we went on, the night in the ice hotel, seeing Buckingham palace, relaxing round the pool in the Caribbean, having no worries. But the thing I most enjoyed was being with you, for a whole two weeks with no one else that mattered.”

“I liked being with you too,” replied Ric, kissing Matilda on the forehead.

“Although I also enjoyed the snow walk, I just can’t decide between the two,” joked Ric which earned him a gentle slap from his wife.

“I was thinking ... maybe we should renew our membership of the mile high club?” suggested Matilda.

“Hmm that sounds like a good idea,” smiled Ric.

Hours later they walked out of Sydney International and were surprised to find Lucas and Becky waiting for them ready to drive them back.

“What are you guys doing here?” asked Matilda.

“Well we came to see Becky’s parents and then thought it would be a good idea to stay the extra night and drive you guys back,” explained Lucas.

“Yeah we want to know everything about the honeymoon,” said Becky, taking Matilda’s suitcase from her.

“Every detail?” asked Ric, raising his eyebrow. Becky blushed,

“Okay not every detail,” she corrected herself.

Matilda fell asleep after only 10 minutes in the car and Ric was not far behind, both having major jetlag. When they arrived back in Summer Bay both were awake again and glad to be finally home. Lucas said that he would bring in the bags and so Ric and Matilda went to go inside. They opened the door and were greeted by about half of Summer Bay.

“Welcome back!” shouted lots of people and a banner was hung across the ceiling.

“Good job we slept in the car,” whispered Matilda.

“So, how was it?” asked Sally coming over.

Matilda and Ric spent the next half an hour telling everyone about their honeymoon. Henry, Robbie, Tasha, Ella, Kit, Kim and the kids had all gone back home.

Eventually everyone went home and Lucas went to stay at Becky’s. That left Matilda and Ric with the house to themselves.

“So, are you tired?” asked Ric.

“Mmm yeah I might go to bed,” replied Matilda.

“Really? This is our first night home after our honeymoon,” said Ric.

“Well in that case, I think I have suddenly found some energy,” said Matilda and she took Ric by the hand and led him upstairs.

The following day Ric wanted to pop into the garage to see how things were going. While he was gone, Matilda went to the Surf Club as Becky’s shift would be finishing soon.

“What are you doing here?” asked Becky as she saw Matilda walk in.

“I thought I’d come and see you, are you nearly finished?”

“I was just about to leave, want to go to the beach?” asked Becky.

“Sure, lets go,” and Matilda waited for Becky to go and get her bag.

“So, where’s Ric?” asked Becky.

“The garage, he’s not supposed to start back there until tomorrow but he wanted to check that everything was okay,” explained Matilda. “And then I’m starting back at work too.”

“Yay, it really hasn’t been the same without you,” and Becky hugged her friends. They sat down on the sand and chatted about the honeymoon.

“So, how are things going with you and Lucas?” asked Matilda.

“Umm ... well they’re great ...” said Becky hesitantly.

“But ...” said Matilda.

“But that’s the problem, things are great. He goes back to Uni in three days time! What am I going to do?”

“Well ... I suppose you could text, phone, e-mail, visit sometimes?” suggested Matilda, not knowing what to say.

“Yeah but I really don’t want to go back to that. The last time we weren’t even a proper couple but it was hard enough, this time is going to be a thousand times harder,” moaned Becky, lying down on her back.

“You’re both strong, you will get through this. It might not be obvious how but you will,” said Matilda.

“I hope you’re right. Mattie, I think I love him.”

“Really?” said Matilda.

“Yeah. While you have been away we have spent so much time together and he has basically moved into my apartment. The bond between us has really grown and I don’t want to spoil that!”

“In that case you will find a way to be together while he’s at Uni!”

“Thanks Mattie, I missed having you to talk to,” said Becky.

Later that night Matilda sat down at her computer and checked her e-mail.

‘Hey Mattie, hope you had a fantastic time on the good old honeymoon. Tasha said to ask you all about it so reply with all the gossip, just not the dirty stuff, you can miss that out sis! Well I have attached to this e-mail all the photos I took at the wedding, it was a great day and you looked stunning. Ella is really missing Pippa and Noah, it was great to see them getting on so well. Maybe we’ll have to come for another visit, maybe spring break? Well reply soon, hope you like the photos and reply soon about the honeymoon.

Love your amazing bro Robbie, Tasha and Ella.

Xxx

Archived