Australian TV soaps get set to sizzle

Guest Susan Kennedy

from: thanks to alex from http://www.neighbourssource.com/

A BATTLE of the bombshells has emerged between television soaps Home and Away and Neighbours, with both programs recruiting glamorous models to add sex appeal to the long-running shows.

While former Miss Australia star Erin McNaught (Sienna Cammenti) and swimsuit babe Imogen Bailey (Neighbours' Vixan Nicola West) have begun spicing things up on Neighbours, Melbourne-born model Esther Anderson joins the sunny shores of Summer Bay from June 6, making sparks fly with a new sizzling romance.

As a long line of aspiring actresses weather rejection in the wings, these catwalk and commercial- dwelling beauties, who have little or no acting experience, are securing the sought-after roles.

Defending her position on Home and Away, Anderson, 29, said her former turn as a model shouldn't discredit her acting ability.

"For me modelling was just an avenue that got me into acting, I have always wanted to act," Anderson said.

"It got me into commercials and then I started getting speaking roles and you don't get those if you can't act.

"I think when I started on Home and Away a few people had concerns, but I have never been deterred that the model label would hinder me. If I am supposed to act I will and I am. They wouldn't have hired me otherwise."

As a long line of aspiring actresses weather rejection in the wings, these catwalk and commercial- dwelling beauties, who have little or no acting experience, are securing the sought-after roles.

100% correct. And I have to say that it's disgusting. I much rather watch an average-looking great actor, than a bombshell bad actor.

"For me modelling was just an avenue that got me into acting, I have always wanted to act," Anderson said.

"It got me into commercials and then I started getting speaking roles and you don't get those if you can't act.

Many people want to act but that doesn't make them good at it. I can think of plenty examples where people have had speaking roles but can't act for ****.

"I think when I started on Home and Away a few people had concerns, but I have never been deterred that the model label would hinder me. If I am supposed to act I will and I am. They wouldn't have hired me otherwise."

Not always the case. For example: Erin McNaught - horrible actress, even for Neighbours' standards.

As you may have noticed, I'm not too pleased about this addition to the cast. I thought H&A was better. I'll try and reserve judgement until she arrives but let me tell you, it'll be a struggle. I'd be over the moon to be proved wrong, though...

Archived