Futurama - Bender's Big Score

Guest Formerly Known as FKAJ

Anyone seen clips of it yet? All I know is a joke at the start about how the people who "cancelled" Planet Express have been sacked for incompetence, and beaten up, and some died from the injuries, and ground into a powder.

For those who haven't heard about it, it's the first of a series of DVD movies which are going to be edited into a new season. Personally I can't wait until it's here on DVD. The Fox people who cancelled Futurama deserved to be sacked and beaten up and... you get the idea.

• 3 months later...

I haven't seen it, but I want to. My friend almost bought it the other day, but she got "Resident Evil: Extinction" instead :rolleyes: (Ali Larter and Chris Egan, eases the pain...)

I don't really know how I'll take the Bender movie though. First of all, it sounds like it will be based mostly around Bender, which would be fine for an episode, but for their first movie? Sounds a little gimmicky. And after not liking the Simpsons movie much, I'm a little wary. Especially since Futurama had one of, if not my favourite series finales ever. I'm cautious about that being papered over.

However, that joke you posted does sound very encouraging, as does the "mind blowing" and I would still very much like to see it, even with all my paranoid skepticism :P

I don't really know how I'll take the Bender movie though. First of all, it sounds like it will be based mostly around Bender, which would be fine for an episode, but for their first movie? Sounds a little gimmicky.

Don't worry, the movie's as much about Fry and Leela as Bender. The only ones who are pushed into the background a bit are Amy and (more disappointingly) Zoidberg, except for one priceless scene involving Hermes.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it today. The time line was awesome. (I look forward to hearing that mathematical lecture in the extras some time :lol:) Before I saw it, I was already comparing it to the Simpsons movie, which I didn't like, so I'm glad to say that I did like this. It kind of felt like a sub-par episode (not including the timeline), which for Futurama still evens out to a pretty good thing. I think that they did try to jam too much into it.

I liked the more subtle references, like to Seymour and Yancy, but I didn't need the Hanukkah's Zombie singing about building weapons of mass destruction.

I also thought it was kind of crude at times. I usually don't mind Futurama putting a few toes over the line of good taste, but it was a bit too constant in this movie. It just felt like they were trying to be funny, whereas Futurama works best when the characters just ARE funny without trying to be... if that makes any sense...

Anyway, I'd give it a C+ - okay, not great. Well, maybe a B- The awesomeness of the time line does make for an impressive concept, and there were quite a few laugh out loud moments :)

• 2 months later...

Archived