In Love And War!

Guest snakewoman52

Story Title: IN LOVE AND WAR

Type of story: Longish story

Starring: Simon Jefferies (Chris Foy), Eric `Ric’ Dalby ( Mark Furze), Matilda `Mattie’ Hunter (Indiana Evans), Vivian Anderson (Simone McAullay), Johnny Cooper (Callin Mulvey), Sally Fletcher (Kate Ritchie0, Pippa Saunders (Chloe Marshall), Noel Anderson, (Steve Vidler), Cassie `Cass’ Turner (Sharni Vinson).

BTTB rating: A SC L VD

Genre: Thriller, Drama

Does story include spoilers: Yes

For following Fan Fic is rated A rated, It uses sexual references, mild course language, drug references and violence.

SUMMARY: Picking up from episodes yet to air involving

Ric finding out about Viv's pregnancy.

If Ric thought he had enough troubles to worry about in his after the two women in his life make decisions about their futures which leave him knocked for six then he couldn't be more wrong.

It appears, unbeknown to the residence residing in the small seaside town of Summer Bay that there lives are about to be turned upside down by the return of an old enemy from the past who after escaping from prison with the help of a surprise accomplice, returns to the Bay in a desperate bid to wreak havoc on the small seaside town and to finish what he first started by avenging his brothers death and taking care of everyone he holds responsible for what happened to his little brother, whilst tearing apart the lives of those who dare stand in his way.

The storyline starts out by giving insight into each everyday drama's unfolding among each the different individual characters in the show and leads to each of their lives all coming together and being intertwined as Ric finds himself being caught up in the seedy underworld of; boxing, match fixing and underworld drug smuggling, run by the ever so sleazy Noel Anderson, where he finds himself coming face-to-face with Johnny Cooper himself in a fight-to-the death match in order to free his family and love ones from Johnny and his accomplice rein of terror and save the love of his life.

By the time Johnny's done with the residents of Summer Bay not one life will be left unscaved.

IN LOVE AND WAR

Prelude

Matilda found herself feeling rather dazed and disorientated as she was lead out yonder out of town in the Van she was traveling in, the blindfold covering her eyes making it hard to keep her bearings, she was only just able to make out little bits and pieces of the van she was traveling in but unable to recognize any of her assailants who had her held hostage.

MATILDA:

Who are you? Where are you taking me?

“Hang on there, Sweetheart. We’re almost there.” Replied a familiar voice that Matilda recognized as being Johnny Coopers

The Van went and turned off the main highway onto a dirt track which led out to an abandoned old shack where Matilda was then taken from the Van and led down a flight of stairs and into an old wine cellar, which reeked of fermenting grapes. She was then order to stick her hands out and was tied up to some old bit of piping and left alone to her own devices as her assailants headed out of the room.

“Hello! Is anyone else there?” She suddenly heard a familiar voice call out “Hello”.

MATILDA:

Hello! Viv is that you?

VIV:

Mattie! Oh thank god, what are you doing here?

MATTIE:

I could ask you the same thing...

Mattie tried desperately to pull against the bit of piping she was tied to in order to free herself, but it was useless as she slumped over next to it realizing she was well and truly trapped. Her only hope being that Ric and Sally would be somehow able to find both her and Vivian…

Chapter 1

A LITTLE OVER A MONTH EARLIER

Johnny was waiting around in the exercise yard talking to some mates of his when a security guard came to see him.

SECURITY OFFICER

Johnny Cooper, if you’d like to accompany me to the interview room, you’ve got a visitor.

JOHNNY:

Who? (Sounding rather surprised)

SECURITY OFFICER:

Some bloke by the name of Noel Anderson…

JOHNNY:That’s funny, I don’t know any Noel Anderson…

SECURITY GUARD:

Well he seems to know you.

Johnny was lead out to the interview room where Noel; a thin rather wiry middle aged man with a receding hairline, in a business suit was waiting patiently for him. Johnny did not know quite what to make of this particular situation as he had not received a visitor to see him at the prison in ages, even from the most loyal of his own gang members on the outside of the prison, who had all seemed to have pretty much forgotten about him and left him alone inside the prison to rot, while they’d gotten on with their own lives. And now all of a sudden Johnny found himself being paid a visit by none other than a total stranger, who’d he’d never met or even laid eyes on and all he could think of was; Why? And; What did this man want with him?

JOHNNY:

(Looking Noel up and down) What do you want? And make it quick I haven’t got all day.

NOEL:

Ric Dalby…

JOHNNY:

Yeah! What about him?

NOEL:

I’ve been doing a background check on the guy and I have good reason to believe that you know each other. Given that the two of you have only been cell mates and share a history with each other.

JOHNNY:

Yeah, so what’s it to you?

NOEL:

Well let’s just say it sounds to me like we both share something in common. A common hatred for Ric Dalby…

Johnny suddenly pricked his ears, curious as to know what this man’s gripe with Ric Dalby, his sworn enemy and archrival was.

Noel pulled out a picture of a slim attractive young woman with shoulder length brown hair from his wallet and produced it in front of Johnny.

NOEL:

My wife, Viv, I want her bumped off and I’m willing to pay you good money to have the job done.

JOHNNY:

You want me to bump off your Missus! But why…

NOEL:

Let’s just say she’s being screwing around on me behind my back with our good friend Ric Dalby and now she’s pregnant with his child and threatening to leave me, probably so she can be with him.

I can’t let that happen, do you understand. I can’t allow her to go through with this divorce she’s planning. She’ll leave me high and dry and after everything I’ve ever done for her and everything I’ve ever worked for in my life. That’s why she needs to be properly dealt with; both her, her unborn child and her kid lover and you’re going to help me.

JOHNNY:

And what of his little girlfriend, Matilda, Can you tell me whether or not she’s still on the scene?

NOEL:

As far as I’m aware she and Ric are history having recently broken up after a rather bitter altercation, although I know, despite their differences, he still seems to very much hold a torch for her.

JOHNNY:

I see, most interesting! So it looks like I might actually for the first time in my life be able to use this unfortunate development in their relationship to capitalize on my attraction of the fair Matilda Hunter.

NOEL:

So what do you say? Do we have a deal? Are you prepared to help me?

JOHNNY:

(Laughs sinisterly) Well, I’d love to help you out, mate if it weren’t for the matter of one wee small problem. In case you haven’t noticed I’m in here and as long as I’m in here there’s not much chance of me being able to help out, is there.

NOEL:

But you do, however, have connections though, do you not! Outside of prison…

JOHNNY:

Yeah! But mate, I haven’t heard from any of those dudes in ages and many of them seem to have just moved on with their own lives and forgotten about me. That’s the thing when you go to prison you quickly come to learn who your real friends are and who are not.

NOEL:

Okay then! Well maybe I can help out in some way…

JOHNNY:

You?...How!

NOEL:

I’ve got connections too you know. I don’t think you realize just how rich and powerful I really am. I have some good friends in very high places. You stick with me and I’ll fine a way to bust you out of here in no time flat.

Johnny smiled sinisterly as his creeks and ears flushed bright red and a wicked beam of delight lit up his rough and ragged face.

Chapter 2

AT THE CARAVAN PARK HOUSE

Cassie and Sally were both sitting down to breakfast talking over some of the events that had taken place within the last few weeks.

SALLY:

..So Cass, how are things going with the trial? Have you heard anything more?

CASSIE:

To be perfectly honest, I don’t even want to think about that right now. All I can think about is the sight of Aden Jefferies lying lifeless in the back seat of the car knowing that I’d done that too him.

Aw, I’m such an idiot, I can’t believe I seriously allowed Matilda to talk me into driving her home that night and of cause those other ******s who’d joined us in the car had to run off and leave me to deal with this whole mess alone , didn’t they! Guttless wonders!

SALLY:

So why did you do it then Cassie? How could you allow Matilda to talk you into getting behind the wheel like that after you’d already had a few drinks in your system? You knew it was wrong!

CASSIE:

I know, I was weak I guess. Mattie was already upset with me about not telling her about Ric and Viv. It’s not as though I didn’t want to tell her it’s just that Ric had made me swear not too and I didn’t want to be the bearer of bad news.

SALLY:

(Nodded)

CASSIE:

Oh cause I blame Ric for all of this. If he’d just been honest and upfront with her from the beginning about Viv, we’d never be in this mess in the first place. Grrrr! I’m so angry with him right now.

SALLY:

Yes! Well I can’t say I’ve been overly impressed with his behaviour of late. I really can’t see what he sees in that Viv woman…

CASSIE:

Try sex on a stick. I mean she’s not exactly ugly, she’s got herself a rich husband and fancy clothes. A woman like that can be rather appealing to a guy like Ric.

SALLY:

Yes, but she’s a lot older than he is and I’ve always gotten the feeling she’s after something. I don’t want to see Ric getting manipulated …

PIPPA:

Mummy!

SALLY:

Yes pet!

PIPPA:

Have you spoken to Brad lately?

SALLY:

Yes dear, I spoke to him only on the weekend. Remember!

PIPPA:

When’s he next coming over?

SALLY:

Pip, sweetheart, we’ve already been through this. He’s down in Tasmania at the moment.

PIPPA:

How far away is Tasmania?

SALLY:

(Looks at Cassie who then looks over towards Pippa) Well it’s a long way away from here, sweetheart.

PIPPA:

So we’re going to fly over and see him then?

SALLY:

Not right now, sweetheart! Mummy’s got things to take care of around here at the moment, but if and when mummy ever gets the time off I promise to make a point of taking you over to Tasmania to see Brad, okay!

PIPPA:

(Nodded)

CASSIE:

(Smiles) Pippa still hung up on Brad?

SALLY:

(Shakes her head)…This has been going on for well over a month now since Brad left, and to be honest with I’m getting a little sick having to explain to her Brad’s not coming over.

SALLY:

Are you catching up with Mattie today?

CASSIE:

…If she’s talking to me. I kind of wish Henk was here you know!

SALLY:

What? Even after everything he’s done and what he put Rachel through?

CASSIE:

I know, and I suppose you’re right I’m better off without him, but having him around just made things seem easier. What with the fallout over the Ric and Mattie relationship. and the whole court case.

SALLY:

Speaking of which I haven’t seen hide nor hair of Ric this morning he must have gotten up at the crack of dawn to go surfing or something.

CASSIE:

Unless of cause he decided to do another all nighter over at Viv’s in order to avoid questioning over Viv’s pregnancy, who knows!... Anyway, see ya”

SALLY:

Oh you’re off, are you?

CASSIE:

Yeah! I thought I might catch up with Mattie this morning. With any luck hopefully she’s talking to me. Fingers crossed!

Chapter 3

HEADING TOWARDS THE DINER

Cassie went and made her way over to the diner hoping to run into her old friend Matilda who she’d barely spoken to after the fallout from her and Ric’s bitter split.. Cassie strolled aimlessly along the beachfront, across the grassy noll when she noticed Matilda heading towards her direction making her way to the surf club diner.

CASSIE:

Hey Mattie! (Yells out) Mattie!

Matilda looked over in her direction before continuing to make her way into the diner.

CASSIE:

Mattie, wait up! We need to talk

MATTIE:

Leave me alone, Cassie.

CASSIE:

Mattie, why are you being like this? I’ve already said I’m sorry and have apologized numerous times. I know you’re still angry at me for keeping Ric’s affair with Viv secret from you, but I honestly never meant for any of this to happen and for you to find out this way. If I had known earlier what Ric was getting himself into with Viv I swear I would have told you everything sooner.

MATTIE:

But the point is you didn’t though, Cassie. Instead I had to find out everything from that two-faced, manipulative cougar, Viv Anderson, who has being wanting to get her claws into Ric from day one, didn’t I!

CASSIE:

I know, Mattie, and I’m so, so sorry about that, but try and put yourself in my shoes. I was put in a really difficult situation by Ric who made me swear not to tell you and I really didn’t want to see you get hurt, I swear I was only trying to protect you.

MATTIE:

Protect me or protect Ric?

CASSIE:

Mattie, that’s not fair. You’re only my best friend. How could you even suggest that I would do something like that? The only reason I didn’t say anything to you about Viv and Ric is because I felt I owed it to him and to you to come clean to you himself.

MATTIE:

…But he obviously didn’t though did he, because I had to find out from Viv Anderson instead.

CASSIE:

I know and I am so sorry about that, Mattie, believe me I wanted so badly to tell you, but I’m not going to take responsibility for Ric’s actions. Mattie can we please get past this, you’re my best friend and I really miss you. I just want things back to normal – how they use to be.

MATTIE:

Me too… and I miss you too. I mean, not having you to talk to the last few weeks it’s just been horrible.

CASSIE:

Does this mean we can put all this stuff with Ric and Viv behind us and go back to being friends?

MATTIE:

Yeah! (shedding a tear) I guess it does.

CASSIE:

Oh Mattie! (Throws her arms around Matilda and the pair hug) Thank you! So do you want to get something to drink at the diner?

MATTIE:

Yeah! I’d like that. (Cracks a smile for the first time since her break up with Ric)

AT THE DINER

Cassie and Matilda enter and head over to the counter where Irene is serving, to order a couple of milkshakes, when Matilda turns and spots Ric sitting alone by himself at one of the tables having a chocolate milkshake, while looking at a magazine on hot cars and hot chicks.

MATILDA:

…Oh great, I should’ve known he’d be here.

CASSIE:

Yeah well, just ignore him Mattie. Remember, we’re here to have a good time and hang out.

IRENE:

Is there anything I can get you two ladies.

MATTIE:

Yeah! Just a couple of strawberry milkshakes, thanks…

IRENE:

That’ll be six dollars thank you.

The two girls went to sit down at one of the table when Ric got up from the table he was sitting at and came over to see Mattie.

RIC:

Mattie, can we talk?

MATTIE:

Go away, Ric, I’ve got nothing to say to you.

RIC:

Can you at least please hear me out?

CASSIE:

Ric! She said she doesn’t want to talk to you, get the picture.

RIC:

Mattie!

But MATILDA just went and stuck up her hand in front of Ric to block his questioning.

CASSIE:

Ric! She’s already told you to go away, now what part of go away don’t you understand?

RIC:

Butt out Cassie, this has nothing to do with you; this is between me and Matilda.

CASSIE:

Yes! And Matilda has made it perfectly clear she wants absolutely nothing to do with you, so why don’t you do everyone a favour and just leave her alone.

RIC:

Okay! Fine, but for what it’s worth Mattie, I just hope you can somehow find it in your heart to put the past behind you and forgive me because you can’t go on holding a grudge against me forever, you know. (Exits)

Matilda collapses into her hands, deeply unsettled by her run in with Ric at the diner as Cassie places a comforting hand on her shoulders.

Chapter 4

AT THE BEACH

Ric walkes away from the diner feeling dejected and deflated after his run-in with Matilda. He wished he did could just turn-off his feelings for her, but he still loved her dearly and those emotions weren’t going to go away over night. If only he’d never encountered Viv Anderson, perhaps he and Matilda would still be together, in fact he was certain of it. To think that only a couple of months earlier he and Matilda were perfectly happy together and were planning their year twelve school formal together and futures together.

What’s more they’d even been awarded Best Couple on the night. What a joke that turned out to be after Viv’s husband Noel rocked up unannounced at the formal only to let the cat out of the bag and just like that all his dreams and hopes of spending a happy future with the girl of his dreams were dashed and the love of his life had been cruelly ripped out from underneath him and nothing had ever been the same since.

Even when he did manage to reconcile with her briefly, he knew in his heart it wasn’t the same as he had just spent the night with Viv – the very woman who had made her intentions clear from the start that she was wanting to get her hooks into him and sabotage his relationship with Matilda, and he’d fallen for her manipulation each and every time despite the warnings of those around him who cared about him most that he was playing with fire by even associating with her. And now he was starting off his renewed relationship with Matilda based on a lie.

How could he have been so blind as to Viv’s games? How could he have not seen what was going on right underneath his nose? He’d been warned to steer clear of her by not just Matilda, but by everyone, including; Sally, Drew, Cassie and even Brad and yet despite their concerns he thought he knew best, that he had everything under control. The reality of the situation couldn’t be further from the truth, and now he found himself forced to deal with the revelation that he was about to become a father for the first time to a woman that he had only spent one night with, didn’t love and had no intention of involving him in his baby’s life.

Ric walked somberly along the beach, feeling the coarseness of the sand squelching beneath his feet as it slipped between his toes and the freshness of the oceans lap at his feet and ankles. It wasn’t long before he looked up and noticed a slim attractive looking woman with shoulder length brown hair walking towards him and he recognized her at once. It was Viv.

Ric hesitantly started making his way towards her, unsure of whether or not to approach her, before coming to a halt.

VIV:

Hey Ric (yells out walking up to meet him)

RIC:

(Rather glumly)What are you doing here?

VIV:

I’m just out for a walk, trying to clear my head. Are you still angry with me?

RIC:What makes you say that?

VIV:

I’ve been trying to call you and left text messages on your mobile but you haven’t bothered returning any of my calls.

RIC:

Yeah well… that’s because I’ve been doing my best to ignore you...

VIV:

Ric, I’m truly sorry that things didn’t work out between you and Matilda, but for what it’s worth you’re better off without her anyway.

RIC:

Yeah! How’d you figure that? (reply’s rather bitterly)

VIV:

Let’s just say I had a run in with that ex of yours the other day and she had a go at me. If there’s one thing I know, whenever you get a young woman who’s as jealous, insecure and possessive about her boyfriend as Matilda was with you, it’s generally a recipe for disaster. Of course, I must say I’m a little surprised you didn’t bother to come clean with her about us in the first place. I would have thought you guys would have had a more honest and open relationship than that.

RIC:

Oh! You mean like you and Noel with your anything goes policy? Where you’re both perfectly happy to screw around with other peoples lives and screw up other peoples relationships without so much as considering the consequences. (Starts sobbing)

VIV:

Hey don’t blame me! You wanted this as much I did! Let’s face it, Ric, you’ve been playing games with me from the start; flirting with me, sneaking around behind your girlfriends back and going right out of your way for me - practically jumping through hoops to try and help me out. And may I remind you it was you who came to my van seeking me out on the night of the formal not the other way around, so stop trying to make me out to be the bad guy.

RIC:

Alright! What do you want me to say? I was upset! I had just broken up with my girlfriend and was in need of a friend and you took advantage of me, Viv. You used me as your toy boy. Do you have any idea how that makes me feel? (Still emotional and upset)

VIV:

(Laughs) Hey don’t put this back on me! You wanted our night together to happen just as much as I did. So why don’t you stop playing games and just admit it?

RIC:

(Shakes his head) No, you’re wrong! What happened that night between us was nothing more than a mistake.

VIV:

…And I suppose, the child I conceived that night was a mistake too, was it?

(Smiles sinisterly) and you wonder why I don’t want you involved in my baby’s life.

RIC:

Our baby, Viv…

VIV:

Yeah well… You for one have made it perfectly clear you’re not ready for the role of fatherhood and I for one happen to think your right!

For starters you don’t love me; you’ve made it perfectly clear to me after your breakup with Matilda that you wanted nothing more to do with me and it’s not as though we could ever have a future together anyway.

Furthermore; how do you possibly think your going to be able to give our child the support it needs on the wage you earn, especially given you’re still on your second year apprenticeship.

Besides, Ric, you’ve gotten your whole life ahead of you to think about marriage and children and child rearing is a huge responsibility, one from what you’ve already indicated, you’re clearly not ready for.

Do you honestly think you would be in any position to properly raise a child, especially given your background history?

RIC:

It’s not as though you’re given me any choice, is it! I never asked to be a father but you made me one regardless.

VIV:

You may be the child’s biological father, but there’s more to being a father than purely DNA. And before you start tearing strips off of me you are every bit as culpable for this mess as I am so don’t start waving the finger at me.

RIC:

Yeah but, it’s not as though we didn’t use protection though, right! I honestly thought we’d be okay.

VIV:

Yeah well! Nothing’s fool-proof. When it comes to sex, you know what they say; “The only safe sex is no sex”.

RIC:

God! (slaps his forehead with his hand)This is all such a mess.

VIV:I’m sorry, Ric!

RIC:

No you’re not!

VIV:

Sorry?

RIC:

You got exactly what you wanted, Viv. You didn’t care who you trampled on or who got hurt as a result of all your manipulations. You tricked me into feeling sorry for you. You even made me believe you actually cared about me…

VIV:

…I do…

RIC:

…That you wanted to help me out and I fell for it. How stupid am I?

VIV:

But I do care about you.

RIC:

Oh please! You’re just saying that to try and make me feel better.

VIV:

No, I’m saying it because it’s true.

RIC:

Yeah! Well you’ve got a funny way of showing it then.

VIV:

Do you have any idea of the sacrifices I’ve had to make in order to keep this child of ours? Noel was furious when he first found out about my pregnancy. He practically hit the roof and suggested I go and have myself an abortion as he wasn’t prepared to father another man’s child. But I wouldn’t! How could I just give up my baby like that? The baby I’ve always longed for!

So what did he do? He flew off the handle and threw me out of the house. Our house! I of course finished up spending the night at a friend’s until he calmed down, then of cause he came knocking on my door the next morning telling .me how much he missed me and pleading for me to come back home. I of cause initially refused informing him that I wasn’t prepared to go back and live with someone who wasn’t prepared to support me and the baby. He of cause told me that he’d thought things over and reconsidered and that he was prepared to deal with the responsibility of being a husband as well as a father to our child provided I broke off all contact with you and kept quiet about the baby’s true paternity.

But somehow things didn’t quite work out that way, did they?

You know what they say, “Sooner or later the truth always comes out” and somehow people got wind of the fact that Noel wasn’t the baby’s real father and that I’d fallen pregnant to another man. We finished up having a major altercation over it.

So anyway I finished up staying at my parents place just out of town and I’ve been there since.

RIC:

Why are you telling me all of this? Are you trying to get me to feel sorry for you or something? I’ve got enough troubles of my own to deal with without having to worry about you and your husband’s marriage woes.

But for what it’s worth I think it’s for the best, after all you can’t maintain a strong relationship based on a lie. Isn’t that what you once told me?

VIV:

I think there’s a pretty big difference between me and Noel and you and Matilda though. Noel gave me a tremendous amount of financial security and support. I know he’s hasn’t always been the ideal husband with his little harem of other women in his life, but he has given me a lot of support over the years, he has a lot of connections and is very well respected among his business associates.

I know this sound’s like rather a cliché, but whenever I was with him I always felt like I was someone important and special

He loved me enough to want to provide for me by spoiling me with lavish gifts; such as nice clothes, my very own car, a nice mansion, even my very own business.

RIC:

All nice things to have but can you honestly say that been surrounded by all those luxuries made you happy? You said yourself that the trouble with Noel is he thinks he owns you, that he regards you as his prized possession.

That’s not LOVE, Viv, that’s what I call a prison.

That was the great thing about Mattie and my relationship. She didn’t care that I didn’t drive a flashy car or own a nice big mansion, and dressed in daggy clothes, because she loved me for who I was, not for what I looked like, how I dressed, what kind of job I worked or how much money I had in my bank account.

Money, power and fame are all nice things to have, Viv, but they’re not everything and they certainly can’t buy you happiness.

VIV:

I know that! And you’re right! Not that it matters now anyway, I’ve only lost everything I’ve ever worked towards in my life, including Noel!

Chapter 5

MEANWHILE BACK AT THE PRISON

Johnny was pacing backwards and forwards, his eyes eagerly scanning around the prison grounds whilst concocting a daring and crafty plan of how he was going to escape, even if it meant paying off security guards to give guided tours around the prison ground or sticking his hand up and volunteering to do prison duties, just so he could cold canvass the prison grounds and get his bearing and the security guards along with a number of the other prisoners in the place were none the wiser of what he was really up to, while he scheming went behind their backs, carefully detailing every nook and cranny of the prison layout and mapping it out.

Given that the prison he was in was only a maximum security prison he knew there was no way he’d simply be able to break out the conventional way by going through or over the fence as that was too obvious and would only draw too much attention to himself so instead he decided to tunnel a hole through his cell and out under the barbwire fence leading to the outside of the prison ground, but there was only one problem. Where was he going to get hold of all the equipment he needed in order to put his plan into actions and how was he going to go about digging the hole without drawing too much attention to himself that something dodgy was going on? What’s more this task of his was something he wouldn’t be able to do on his own as it would have been much too big for just one person to undertake on his own.

He’d need inside help from other inmates as well as security guards on the inside to keep watch for him and as his former accomplice Jason was no longer working at the prison he’d be in with quite a challenge as to find someone else.

Johnny had about five good contacts within the prison most of whom were former gang members of his: First there was: Warren “Snake” McLaggen, Jason “Turbo” Reed, Preston Burke, Sean “Hammer” Jefferies and Carl Johnson.

Although Sean wasn’t really considered an official member of Johnny’s gang, he’d had a past association with Ric and Johnny knew about this and had much respect for him and his family and knew he could count on him to be loyal.

PRISON COURTYARD

Johnny sanctioned a group meeting amongst him and his five group members in the far corner of the courtyard well away from earshot of other inmates and security guards in order to talk tactics with his fellow inmates on his planned escape strategy, whilst using them to brainstorm ideas off.

JOHNNY:

Gentlemen, I gather you’ve probably guessed by now as to why I’ve called you all hear today to attend this group meeting I’ve set up.

Let’s just say I’ve managed to come into contact with someone on the outside with a lot of very high profile connections who’s as keen to help me get out of prison as I am to escape and is willing to supply me with the equipment I need in order to ensure the job is done, however, this job unfortunately is too big for just one person to handle alone, which is where you blokes come in.

I have been using the last couple of days to properly map out the prison block and devise an escape plan strategy, however, I insist that you all keep this vital information which I am about to give you to yourselves and do not so much as breath a word of it to any of the prison guards or any other inmates within the prison complex and that the information stays amongst the six of us. If you should so much as breath a word of this outside of the group you will find yourself severely dealt with by either myself or other members of this group. Do I make myself clear?

OTHER GROUP MEMBERS

Yes Johnny!

…Of cause Johnny!

JOHNNY:

Good! Well shall we get started then?

CHAPTER 6

AT THE CARAVAN PARK HOUSE

Sally was busying herself with the laundry and sorting out the clothing into piles of ironing and non-ironing, when there was a knock at the door.

SALLY:

(Goes to answer door) Coming! (Opens the door to reveal Noel standing in the doorway) What are you doing here?

NOEL:

Oh! I’ve just come to see Ric. Is he around?

SALLY:

No, I can't say he is! I haven't seen him all morning.

What do you want with Ric? Don’t you think you and your wife, Viv have caused enough trouble in his life?

NOEL:

Oh, relax Sally, I’m just here to return an enquiry he made with me expressing an interest in a business proposal I put to forward to him a while back.

SALLY:

Why do I get the feeling I’m not going to like this?

NOEL:

Oh relax! What’s not to like? I’m a wealthy man Sally with deep connections as you know, and a strong invested interested in cars, boxing and boating - You could just say these happen to be pet hobbies of mine.

I couldn’t help but notice Ric seems to have quite a right hook on him. Along with that temper of his he could really make himself a nice little fortune.

SALLY:

Really! And what’s in it for you, may I ask?

NOEL:

Let’s just call it a civil way of calling it a truce between him and I. After all, he did sleep with my wife on the night of his formal…

SALLY:

…And get her knocked up…

NOEL:

How did you know about that?

SALLY:

Oh please! It’s a small town Noel people were always going to find out eventually…

NOEL:

Ric told you…

SALLY:

…And no, I didn’t here it from Ric. Let’s just say a little birdie told me.

So tell me, Noel! What’s you’re real agenda for wanting to get Ric to do business with you? I mean, he’s already gotten a good job at the garage so it’s not as though he really needs the money.

NOEL:

(Laughs) You crack me up Sally, you really do. You think Ric’s well off now what with the income his getting paid at the garage, Pigs ass, that’s peanuts as opposed to what I’m prepared to pay him for work for me. Trust me Sally he’ll be earning himself a nice little mint in no time.

Trust me, Sally, I've only gotten the boys best interests at heart here.

SALLY:

You see that's just the thing! I know your type. Yours and Viv’s and believe me you’re nothing but a manipulative, superficial low-life who has nothing better to do with his life than to buy into other peoples lives with all his materialistic wealth and riches, whilst playing around with other women behind your own wife’s back and sabotaging other peoples relationships, of cause from what I’ve seen of that wife of yours she isn’t much better.

You know what, I bet you even bought your own wife’s love and affection, I mean just think why else would a beautiful, younger attractive woman like Viv want to marry a man like yourself useless of cause it was for money, after all you’re not exactly good looking and I imagine a woman like Viv would be very appealing to a bloke like you-

The perfect little trophy wife.

Oh, but then again I wouldn’t really class you as a bloke, you/re more of an animal and you absolutely disgust me.

In fact to be perfectly honest with you, you’re whole relationship disgusts me.

NOEL:

I see! You certainly are not are not one to mince your words, Sally. From what you’ve indicated to me it seems we clearly have a problem here, however, if there’s one thing I will not tolerate it’s someone like yourself passing judgment on my relationship with wife.

SALLY:

Ordinarily, I couldn’t give a stuff about your sick and twisted little relationship with your wife, Viv, but Ric is a son to and as long as Viv is carrying his child that makes this personal, very personal. If you think for a second I am just going to stand back and let you ruin my son’s life by coming between him and his right to be a father to his own child then you have got another thing coming and if you think you can just come around here and try buy him off with money and expect everything to just be okay then I’m afraid you’re sorely mistaken.

Now why don’t you just do us both a favour and get out of my house and don’t you ever dump on my doorstep again!

CHAPTER 7

The waves lapped at the shoreline as the camera view zoomed in on the outside view of the Surf Club.

Inside the club Cassie was busy working behind the bar serving a club patron when Sally ENTERED.

CASSIE:

(Happily with a beaming smile) Hi Sally, what’s up?

SALLY:

Oh! I’m just looking for Ric. You haven’t seen him today by any chance, have you? I was rather hoping to catch up with him for a private chat.

CASSIE:

Ah yeah! I have actually! Mattie and I ran into him earlier at the diner. He and Mattie got into a bit of a heated rowel and he finished up leaving. Not sure where he is now though.

Have you tried the Gym? I know he’s been spending a lot of time working out there lately, among other things!

SALLY:

Thanks for that, Cassie, I might just try there then.

CASSIE:

Hey Sal, I know this is probably none of my business, but what exactly is this you want to see him about anyway?

SALLY:

Oh it’s nothing overly important, just a small matter concerning the Anderson’s.

CASSIE:

This wouldn’t have anything to do with Viv’s pregnancy by any chance, would it?

SALLY:

As I said, this is a private and confidential matter between him and Viv and her husband. I really think it’s best if you stay out of it.

CASSIE:

But you’re not though!

SALLY:

No, but I’m his foster mum, and Noel did come to see me earlier in regards to Ric that what makes all the difference here (Sally Exits)

CHAPTER 7 – SCENE 2

Ric was in the gym violently punching the hell out of a punching bag and really working up a sweat. He was so busy hitting the crap out the punching bag that he failed to see Sally come in.

SALLY:

You must really have a lot of pent up anger there.

RIC:

(Breathing heavily)What?

SALLY:

I noticed you really seem to be giving that bag a hell of a belting

RIC:

(Grunts! While continuing to lay into the bag)

SALLY:

I didn’t see you this morning! Are you okay?

RIC:

(Sarcastically) Yeah! Just great!

SALLY:

So where have you been?

RIC:What! Keeping tabs on me now, are you?

SALLY:I’m just worried about you, that’s all.

RIC:

Yeah! Well there’s no need to be, I’m fine.

SALLY:

Ric, I think I know you well enough to know you’re not fine. You haven’t been yourself for the last couple of month’s; you’re not eating properly, you’re not talking to any of us and spending a large amount to time alone and in silence or over-compensating for you inadequacies by spending large amounts of your time pushing yourself to extremes at the gym and every time I do see you around you seem to be rather somber and despondent and just now I find myself walking in and finding you belting the crap out of some punching bag.

RIC:

(Momentarily stopping what he’s doing) Alright! You really want to know what’s wrong with me! Maybe I’m just sick and tired of people like; you, Grand dad, Martha, Lucas, Cassie and everyone else, continually asking what’s wrong with me all the time, did you ever think of that. (Resumes his boxing)

SALLY:

Well you can’t blame people for being concerned, Ric, It’s just that they care about you, that all – we all do, and I’m starting to think that maybe you don’t like us or something.

Ric!! Are you listening to me? Ric! Can you stop that please, it’s distracting and I’m trying to talk to you.

RIC:

(Stops punching the bag) Just because I haven’t been spending time hanging out with you guys lately, doesn’t mean I don’t care about. (Goes and grabs himself a towel to dry off) I’ve just being needing some time alone to get my head around some stuff, that’s all.

SALLY:

Well, Ric, you know if you ever need to talk…

RIC:

What goods talking going to do? It’s not going to change anything, is it!

It’s not going to change the fact that I’m going to become a father to Viv’s baby whether I want to or not:

It’s not going to change the fact I’m not even allowed to be a father to my own child all because Viv and her husband have made it perfectly clear they don’t want me involved in my own baby’s life, so that child’s going to grow up calling some other dude dad while I’m left out in the cold;

And it’s not going to change the fact that Matilda’s not talking to me and wants nothing what-so-ever to do with me and that I’ve possibly blown any chance of ever getting back with her or being able to work things out.

You see Sally, talking is not going to change any of that, is it! So what’s the point!

SALLY:

I know things are hard now, but they will get easier, I promise.

RIC:

I just wish I could take back the last few months; I wish they’d never happened and most of all I wished I’d never met Viv Anderson; I wished I’d never agreed to work on her stupid car.

If it hadn’t of being for her I can’t help but think Mattie and I would still be together now.

SALLY:

Ric, I know you’re upset, but you do realize you can’t put all of this back onto Viv. Whatever Viv did to you, you were very much a party too as well.

RIC:

Okay! So maybe I was, but I wasn’t to know she was setting me up the whole time, was I? I generally thought she cared about me.

I swear Sally, if I had known what her true motives were for getting me over to her van that night, I never would have gone over there to see her in the first place and I never would have spent the night with her.

SALLY:

But the fact is you did, Ric, and what’s more you lied about it to Matilda after you’d gotten back with her. I can only imagine how devastated poor Matilda must have been to find out about your night together with Viv, let alone finding out from that horrible woman.

RIC:

Yeah well! It’s not exactly like Mattie had given our relationship too much thought when she decided to go and sleep with Simon only a week after breaking up with me.

I mean, it’s nice to know she cares so much about me, isn’t it! Never mind, the fact that I was only her long time boyfriend who’s known her for years, who being there for her through thick and thin and has bent over backwards to try and help her out when she’s in trouble and she jumps into bed with him after knowing him, what.. Barely a week and wonders why I have a problem with the guy!

SALLY:

Well, if it’s any consolation, although I had my initial concerns about Matilda getting herself caught up in another serious relationship so soon after breaking up with you, especially after hearing about him being the star witness for the prosecution, he did at least have the decency to come clean with the truth at Cassie’s Court Trial, which makes me think perhaps I was a little hasty in passing judgment of him.

RIC:

Yeah but doesn’t change the fact that he’s Aden Jefferies cousin and you know what the Jefferies are like, or that Mattie barely knows the guy.

How do we know that this dude hasn’t gotten some skeletons of his own hidden away in his closet or that his decision to come clean while on the stand wasn’t some dodgy attempt to grease his way back into Matilda’s good books, whilst using his relationship with Mattie to try and rub my face in it?

SALLY:

You really don’t think much of Simon, do you?

RIC:

No I don’t! I think the guys a loser and I don’t know what Mattie sees in him.

Archived