Never Had A Dream Come True

Guest Tasha

Story Title: Never had a dream come true

Type of story: S/M Fic - two-shot

Main Characters: Jack, Martha, Hugh, Sarah (new character)

BTTB rating: T

Genre: romance

Does story include spoilers: umm...some

Any warnings: nope

Summary: Martha and Hugh invite Jack and his new gf, Sarah, over for dinner. However, it is the day before Jack and Martha's one-year anniversary. So how will the dinner go?

Ok so i got bored and decided to write a two-shot. Its crap but oh wellz. Thanks to Rach for proofing :)

It was a beautiful, sunny morning in Summer Bay. The sky was clear, the birds were chirping, and the people were chatting away, enjoying the company of their family and friends. However, there was one lonely soul, sitting on the staircase to her apartment, just thinking, thinking about her life in the past year, and the emotions she was feeling exactly a year ago. That's right, 365 days ago was the day of her hens night, the day before she officially became Mrs Martha Holden, a title which was unfortunately short lived. And she had no-one else to blame but herself. Thinking back to her wedding day, she couldn't believe she was finally going to have the wedding she had always dreamt of, surrounded by all her family and friends, but most importantly, she joint her hand in holy matrimony with the man of her dreams, Constable Jack Holden.

Martha's thoughts were disrupted by the sound of footsteps stampeding down the staircase. Looking up, her eyes met with another man in her life, someone she had created a strong friendship with over the past few weeks.

"You ready?" Hugh asked as he helped Martha up, who replied with a simple smile and nod. Since Hugh moved in with Martha some weeks ago, they had started a daily ritual of going for a morning jog on the beach. Although Hugh was a doctor, the pair always found time to spend together, whether it was only their morning jog, or a nice home-cooked dinner, they were always there for each other. Martha had found a really good friend and room-mate in Hugh, and couldn't think of anyone else who could take his position.

As Hugh and Martha were jogging by the water, Martha witnessed something that made her heart sink: another woman in Jack's arms. Coming to an abrupt stop, Martha watched Jack hug his new lady friend. Hugh turned to face Martha, only to see a sad and hurt look on her face. Following her gaze to see the cause of this, he finally saw Jack and the mystery lady.

"Do you still love him?" Hugh asked, as he turned to stand in front of Martha to block her view. Martha let out a small sigh, looking up at Hugh. She knew she could trust him.

"I don't think I ever stopped really," Martha said with a sad smile, "and it hurts even more since it's our one-year anniversary tomorrow." Hugh rubbed her arm gently, assuring her that everything will be alright. Martha nodded gratefully, and looked past Hugh, only to see Jack and his lady friend walk towards them.

"Hey guys," Jack said as the couple approached them.

"Hey," Martha and Hugh replied in unison, both with a friendly smile.

"Martha, I'd like you to meet Sarah," Jack said as the two women nodded in acknowledgement. "Sarah, these are my friends, Martha and Hugh."

"It's nice to meet you both," Sarah said with a warm smile. Martha cursed her mentally, since she was with the man of her dreams. After some small talk, Martha surprised herself, as well as Jack and Hugh, by asking the couple over for dinner. Jack reluctantly agreed, a bit shocked by Martha's invitation. The couple agreed to meet at the apartment at 7, before walking off towards the diner.

Now alone again, Hugh turned to Martha with an unsure look on his face.

"Are you sure about this?" he asked as the pair started to walk down the beach again. Martha gave a simple shrug and sigh, as if to say 'I've-asked-I-can't-back-out-now.' The pair continued to walk in silence. 'I can't believe I asked Jack and his girl friend over for dinner,' Martha scolded herself. 'Oh God, I can't do this on my own, why did I have to ask? Why couldn't I have just kept my big mouth shut?'

"Hugh?" Martha asked quietly, breaking the silence. "You'll be at the dinner, right? You're not going to leave me on my own, are you?" Martha stopped and turned to Hugh, her eyes pleading with him.

"I wouldn't want to be anywhere else," Hugh said with a small laugh, before taking Martha into his arms for a friendly hug.

Jack stood at the top of the beach, leaning against the fence, watching the pair embrace. He couldn't help but feel a bit jealous. Over the past couple of weeks, Jack had heard people, like Colleen and Kim, talking about what a great couple Hugh and Martha would make, and he didn't like it one bit. However, unlike Cam and Ash, Hugh was a genuinely nice guy, who makes Martha happy. Jack has seen the pair together several times, always laughing and joking with each other. Hugh brought out the side of Martha that Jack hadn't seen since before they got married. However, unlike Martha, Jack wasn't aware of the strong love Hugh felt for his best friend, Rachel.

"Tonight should be fun," a voice said, coming up behind Jack and disrupting his thoughts. He turned around to face Sarah, giving her a grateful smile as she handed him his coffee.

"Err…yeah, it should be interesting," Jack replied, taking a sip of his coffee.

"Things seemed awkward between you and Martha before, are you sure she's just a friend?"

"Actually, she is my ex," Jack said truthfully. Sarah nodded understandingly, then asking if he wanted to cancel in case things got a bit weird, but Jack just assured her that it would be fine.

Next chapter

- The dinner

Thanks guys for reading. And thanks to Rach for proofing. This is the final chapter. Enjoys!

That Evening

It was now five to 7; Hugh was putting the final touches to the dining table while Martha was getting ready. Walking out in her bathrobe, with her hair in loose curls falling over her shoulders, she held up two dresses, unsure of which to wear. Hugh laughed to himself as he examined both dresses, but was disrupted by a knock at the door. Eventually going with the yellow one, which Martha happily agreed with, Hugh, went to answer the door, while Martha meandered back into her room to get dressed.

“Hey guys, welcome,” Hugh said as he stood to the side, letting Jack and Sarah in. Taking the wine from Jack’s offering hands; Hugh informed the couple that Martha was still getting ready. The three adults sat around the lounge, sipping on their wine, waiting for Martha to appear.

“So how do you find living with Martha?” Jack asked, curiously.

“Ummm…pretty well actually. She’s a great girl, and really neat, so it all works out fine for me,” Hugh replied with a small laugh. Jack too let out a small, but a fake laugh, before relating the story of how Martha used to always clean the Bachelor Pad when they were dating, and how she once spent hours cleaning it to try get rid of the stench, but it never went…

“That’s because there was a week-old steak hiding behind the bin,” Martha said as she walked out of her room. Jack laughed at the memory as he watched Martha take a glass of wine from Hugh.

‘She’s beautiful,’ Jack thought to himself, as he examined Martha, who was wearing the yellow dress she wore to their hens/bucks night, which coincidently was exactly a year ago. Martha took a seat next to Hugh in the dining table, and apologised profusely for being late, while Jack and Sarah took a seat opposite them.

“So, how’d you two meet?” Martha asked, as Hugh began serving the risotto Martha had prepared earlier. She had never seen Sarah around in the Bay. Sarah went on to tell Martha and Hugh about the Police Conference that the two of them had attended a couple of weeks ago. As Sarah continued to tell their story, Martha started to feel uncomfortable, and Jack’s eyes burning into her wasn’t helping. For the past 10 minutes of the story; of how they knew each other from Police College, and how they met again at the conference, Martha just smiled and nodded, pretending to care. But truth be told, she didn’t. She was slowly starting to hate Sarah, because not only did she have Jack, but she was sitting there rubbing it in, unintentionally however. Martha wondered if Jack even told Sarah about their marriage, since by the way Sarah has been talking about Jack, it didn’t seem like it.

A few more minutes passed of Sarah’s ramblings, and Martha couldn’t take anymore of her indirect gloating; she excused herself from the table, before running out of the apartment and down to the beach. Forgetting how cold it got at night, she sat on the sand, cuddling her legs as tears began to fall freely.

Back in the apartment, Hugh, Jack and Sarah sat in shock. Hugh had a gut feeling to Martha’s reaction, but Jack and Sarah remained completely oblivious.

“I should probably go check on her,” Hugh said, as he got off his chair, breaking the silence.

“No, I think I should,” Jack said. He didn’t want Hugh comforting Martha, even though he knew it would have been innocent.

Once Jack was out the door, Sarah turned to Hugh with a confused look on her face.

“Did I say something wrong?” She asked. Hugh shook his head slowly, telling her it wasn’t her fault intentionally. He went on to tell Sarah about tomorrow being Jack and Martha’s one year wedding anniversary, and how it hadn’t been easy on Martha. Sarah confessed to not knowing about their marriage, since Jack never mentioned it at the conference, or earlier in the day when they were hanging out.

“He mentioned Martha being his ex, but not his ex-wife,” Sarah said truthfully.

“I think it’s been hard on them both, since they never really talk about it. And seeing Jack with another woman, especially this close to their anniversary, I don’t think Martha really expected it. I think she was actually planning on cooking Jack an anniversary dinner. I know that she still loves him a lot, and I don’t know, maybe she was even thinking about asking him to give their relationship another chance.” Hugh said, before realising that he said too much. Sarah, however, just sat their and laughed.

“Jack and I are not dating,” she explained. “We’re just old friends from university. I’m actually engaged to be married in a couple of months. My fiancé, Marc, is in China on a business trip, so I decided to come down and visit Summer Bay, especially after the great review I got when I saw Jack at the conference. We are just friends, and nothing more.” Hugh sat there laughing sheepishly. However, he felt relieved in a way, since now maybe Martha could get her happily ever after.

Jack walked towards the beach with a small smile on his face. He noticed Martha sitting on the sand, shivering in the cold, hugging her knees to keep warm. Her hair was blowing in the breeze, and the moon light was reflecting on her face, creating the most beautiful image he had ever scene. Removing his jacket off his body, Jack finally reached Martha and wrapped it around her. Martha wiped away the tears from her face as she held onto the jacket tightly, trying to warm herself up.

“I’m sorry,” Martha said, breaking a long silence, before turning to look at Jack, who was now sitting beside her. Jack, noticing that she was still cold, brought Martha between his legs; wrapping his arms around her, holding onto her and never wanting to let go. Martha rested her head gently on his shoulders.

“What happened in there, Martha?” he asked quietly. Even though he already knew the answer, he wanted to hear it from her.

“I think you already know,” she replied, moving her head so that she was looking at him properly. However, Jack didn’t say anything. Instead, he just sat there staring out at the ocean, waiting for Martha to answer his question. Martha let out a small sigh, after realising that she was going to have to explain her actions.

“Do you know what day it is tomorrow?” Martha asked absent-mindedly, while staring out at the ocean.

“Yes,” Jack said, turning to face her. Of course he knew. It was their one-year anniversary. Their wedding day, minus the explosion, had been the best day of his life. He had finally become one, with the woman of his dreams and he felt like the luckiest man alive. Noticing Martha staring at him, still waiting for an answer, Jack told her it was Sunday.

“You don’t remember?” Martha asked, moving slightly away from Jack. He had seen the hurt in her eyes, and pulled her back in for another hug.

“I do remember. One promise that’ll I’ll never break is the one I made to never forget our anniversary, because it was the best day of my life. It was the day I married the woman of my dreams, the love of my life. Definitely not a day I’ll be forgetting anytime soon.” Jack said, wiping away the tears that were starting to fall from Martha’s eyes. The sweet words Jack had just spoken: woman of my dreams and love of my life rang though Martha’s head, as she started to feel even guiltier that she had before.

“Jack, I’m so, so, so sorry for everything I’ve put you though these past nine months. Leaving you was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. I was stupid enough to walk out on our marriage, without even attempting to work through our problems. And then Ash and Cam, I’ll forever hate myself for getting involved with jerks like them. I left the only man that could ever love me for me and not my body, for a lying cheating scum bag. But no matter what happened, you were always there for me, and you never gave up on me … Jack, you’re my soul mate, my guardian angel, my one true love. I will always love you no matter what.” By this time, Martha had stood up, followed by Jack, who was dancing on the inside, extremely happy with Martha’s love declaration.

“And I know you’re with Sarah,” she continued while turning away from Jack, “and you deserve all the happiness in the world. But I seriously don’t want you to worry about me anymore. I’m a big girl, I can look after myself.” Martha let out a small giggle as she said that. Jack, however, had another idea in mind. He most definitely was not about to let Martha slip through his fingers again.

Turning to face her, Jack moved forward, placing one hand gently on her cheek, the other on her waist, and pulled her in for a kiss, one that had been long anticipated. Martha was at first shocked by Jack’s actions, but then began kissing him back, wrapping her arms around his neck, as he placed his around her waist, pulling her further in.

Getting caught up in the moment, Martha almost forgot about Sarah. She pushed Jack away, and looked at him with an angry frown.

“Jack, why’d you kiss me when you’re with Sarah?” she shouted at him, with a hurt look on her face. “Jack, I don’t want to be the other woman again. I thought you, of all people, would know that.” Martha started to storm off in the direction of her apartment, but was stopped when Jack gently grabbed hold of her arm.

“Sarah is not my girlfriend,” Jack said, letting out a small laugh. “She is an old friend from uni. She is getting married in 2 months. And she is most definitely not the woman I love. That’s you Martha, you always have been, and always will be.” Martha looked at Jack, feeling guilty for yelling at him. Jack, however, just laughed as he took Martha into his arms, holding her in a warm embrace.

“I love you too,” Martha whispered softly in his ears, before placing a soft kiss on his lips. “And I promise this time, its forever.”

Up ahead, at the top of the beach, a smiling Hugh watched Jack and Martha walk towards him, hand in hand, with huge smiles plastered across their faces. Hugh was happy that they had finally got their acts together and reunited. Martha then walked back to the apartment with her new best friend (Hugh) on one side, and her one true love (Jack) on the other. She had never had a dream come true, until the day she found Jack, and her life was now complete, well almost!

Never had a dream come true- Sclub7

Everybody's got something they had to leave behind

One regret from yesterday that just seems to grow with time

There's no use looking back or wondering

How it could be now or might have been

Oh this I know but still I can't find ways to let you go

I've never had a dream come true

Till the day that I found you

Even though I pretend that I've moved on

You'll always be my baby

I never found the words to say

You're the one I think about each day

And I know no matter where life takes me to

A part of me will always be with you

Somewhere in my memory

I've lost all sense of time

and tomorrow can never be cos yesterday is all that fills my mind

How it should be now or might have been

Oh this I know but still I can't find ways to let you go

You'll always be my baby

I never found the words to say

A part of me will always be

You'll always be the dream that fills my head

Yes you will, say you will, you know you will

Oh baby, you'll always be the one I know I'll never forget

Because love is a strange and funny thing

No matter how I try and try I just can't say goodbye

No no no no

You'll always be my baby

I never found the words to say (words to say)

A part of me will always be

A part of me will always be with you

Link to comments thread.

Archived