Unlikely mix hits it off

Guest Andy

Unlikely mix hits it off

Fairfield Advance

8 November 2006

IN the most unlikely of pairings, actor Lyn Collingwood and local boy Ali Al-Ghurani will share the stage at Newtown's new theatre, hosting Chicken, Beef or Lamb? A Cultural Kebab a celebration of Middle Eastern talent.

The pair met on the set of Home and Away where Lyn Collingwood plays Colleen Smart and Ali Al-Ghurani had a small part as an extra.

"I was doing Home and Away and Lyn approached me and said she was doing this Middle Eastern show and asked if I'd like to be involved," the 21-year-old said.

Between gigs, Al-Ghurani works as a bouncer, which, in a tongue-in-cheek play on stereotypes, has also been incorporated into the show.

"This is the first time I have hosted an event but Lyn and I will be sharing the responsibilities," Al-Ghurani said.

"We're not quite sure how the bouncer thing is going to work yet, we'll see how it goes."

Al-Ghurani was born in Iraq and travelled throughout the Middle East before moving to New Zealand. Six years ago he came to Australia and now lives in Smithfield.

The night will feature Middle Eastern singers, whirling Persian dancers, poets, music, drama and comedy.

The event also coincides with 125 years of Middle Eastern migration to Australia.

Chicken, Beef or Lamb? A Cultural Kebab is on Friday and Saturday, November 10 and 11 at 7.30pm.

Archived