The Pain

Guest matty and luke forever

Sequel to "Just A Dream".

Here’s the first part of the sequel. It might seem a bit weird and unrealistic but I thought it would be cool and a little lighter hearted way to start with. R and R please.

Chapter 1

Choices

==================================

From this moment life has begun

from this moment you are the one

Right beside you is where I belong

from this moment on

===========================

The whole world seemed to slow down as he watched the doctors and nurses run in and out of the room. He looked at Cassie and Ric, Cassie had been crying and Ric was pacing the floor. Mum hadn’t spoken since Jack had brought her to the hospital. And Luke was just sitting there beside Jack as though he had been knocked senseless; Henry looked down see Luke’s body in violent tremors. He looked at his own hands which were now shaking violently; he clenched his fist tighter as he felt another shaken hand round his shoulder. He looked round to find Kit with tears rolling down her cheeks.

“If it helps, she’s a fighter. Just like dad” she reassured him with a slight smile on her face.

She was the first person to break the silence. Cassie looked away from the floor and towards Ric offering him an attempted smile which could reassure him for… well 2 seconds. Flynn quickly came out of the room.

“How is she?” Tony jumped from his seat followed by many others

“We manage to stabilize her. There was a massive amount of bleeding but luckily the bullet didn’t hit any major organs. That would probably save her from surgery.” Flynn announced

“Can we see her?” Luke jumped in

“Okay but only a few at a time.” Flynn said as Ric, Cassie, Martha and Jack stood away from the door. “Beth would you mind if I um… talk to you in private?” Flynn asked.

“Of course, Tony can you come please?” Beth whispered as Flynn took her arm and walked them to a quiet corner of the hall.

“I need to ask your permission as parent and legal guardian of Matilda to do a rape exam.” Flynn sighed

“Excuse me?” Beth asked quietly

“We found some significant bruising on Matilda’s inner thighs, wrist and stomach and as standard procedure we need to do a rape exam. Do I have your permission to let Rachel or myself to do the exam?” he explained

“Oh my god.” Beth said sitting down on the chair “You think he raped her?”

“I’m sorry.” Flynn condoned

=====================================

From this moment I have been blessed

I live only for your happiness

and for your love I'd give my last breath

from this moment on

=========================================

Lucas was the first to go into the room; he saw her lying there on the bed. She had so many wires coming out of her.

“It’s okay the wires are there to help her” Rachel smiled. Lucas walked over to her and took her hand as Robbie, Scott, Kit and Henry entered.

Suddenly Lucas felt Matilda’s grip tighten as the machines began beeping loudly.

“Flynn!” Rachel screamed as Lucas was pulled back by Scott.

====================================================

Matilda stood at the top of Stewarts point staring out to sea, no-one was around it was just her and the open water. She let the cool breeze take her into a peaceful place as her hair was blown off her face; she closed her eyes and let it take her.

“Matilda?” a voice came from behind her; she shot round to come face to face with someone she thought she had left behind a long time ago.

“Dad?”

I give my hand to you with all my heart

can’t wait to live my life with you, can't wait to start

you and I will never be apart

my dreams came true because of you

“Wait, I don’t understand. So I’m dying?” she asked tearfully

“No, you’re choosing princess. You are one of the lucky ones who get the choice whether to live or to die” Jack Hunter answered his youngest daughter

“Oh my god. I can’t decide. I mean I have Luke and Mum. Cas, Ric, Henry, Scott, Robbie and Kit in life. And you in death” Matilda spoke quickly

“I know it’s a hard choice to make. Come here I want to show you something” He said reaching out his hand, Matilda slowly brought hers to meet the man's she was so used to doing it with.=========================================

“Hey, this is our house. What are we doing here?” Matilda asked turning to her dad

“Watch” he whispered

They both saw Luke appear with a box in his arms.

“Wait what’s Lucas doing?”

“He’s leaving. He couldn’t cope with all the memories of you, so he is going to the city” he exclaimed to her

“But he hates the city.”

“I guess some things are harder to forget. Do you want to see what happened to Ric and Cas?” he asked

“I don’t know If I want to.” Matilda said looking back at the love of her life and the hurt on his face tore her apart.

“Okay, so we’re at the Diner flat that’s not normal” she sighed as she walked through the door and towards the kitchen. “Is that Cas? Why is she here?” she quickly asked

“She moved out of Miss Fletchers after…” his sentence trailed

“After what?” Matilda questioned her father eagerly

“After Ric was put in prison for GBH on Callan O’Keefe.” He finished sheepishly

“She looks so sad.”

“Quickly we have just enough time to see your mum.” Her dad said taking her hand.

===================================================

From this moment as long as I live

I will love you, I promise you this

There is nothing I wouldn't give

From this moment on

Beth took Tony’s hand and gripped it tightly as Rachel continued the compressions. The machines beeped around her. Her baby girl was lying helplessly and all she wanted to do was cuddle her and tell her it would be alright. But she couldn’t because he had taken her daughter away from her, she was slipping away.

“Okay, grab the crash cart!” Flynn shouted as he rubbed the paddles together “Charge to 220” he pressed them down on Matilda’s chest as the electron went through her body.

Beth almost fell to the floor with the pain she could feel her daughter going through. As Kit turned and looked over Robbie’s shoulder with her hand clasped over her mouth, Lucas stood in silence next to Jack and Cassie closed her eyes slowly praying that this was only a dream.

You're the reason I believe in love

And you're the answer to my prayers from up above

All we need is just the two of us

My dreams came true because of you

Beth sat out on the decking staring into the middle of nowhere, alone. She took a sip of her coffee and let it soothe her aching throat. As Matilda and Jack looked on.

“I wish I didn’t have to make this choice, Daddy. It should be him making the choices.” She said quietly looking out to sea once more.

“I know sweetheart. So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Jack sat down next to his daughter “It’s not an easy choice to make. But you have to decide whether you want to spend the next 60 or 70 years with all the people you love and that love you or you can choose to spend an eternity with one person who loves you more than anything in the world.”

“I don’t want to have to leave you again” she said with tears streaming down her face

“But you won’t. Because even if I’m no here. It doesn’t mean I’m not in here” he said pointing to her heart.

“I love you so much” she whispered===================================================

From this moment on

“Come on Matilda; just give us a heart beat. Come on” Flynn said aloud

“Clear” Rachel called

“Shocking” Flynn shouted back

By this point Henry had walked out followed by Kit and Jack was holding on to Lucas’s shoulder so tight he thought it may have started to create a bruise.

“I’m sorry. We’ve been going for 45 minutes. There’s nothing. She’s …” Flynn sentence was cut of by the steady beep of the heart monitor that had spent the last 45 minutes flat-lined.

“That’s impossible. Matilda can you hear me? If you can open your eyes.” Rachel said shaking Matilda gently. Beth looked towards her daughter. Luke’s breath quickened as well as many others in the room.

“I know sweetheart. So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.It’s not an easy choice to make. But you have to decide whether you want to spend the next 60 or 70 years with all the people you love and that love you or you can choose to spend an eternity with one person who loves you more than anything in the world.”

Matilda’s eyes slowly opened to Rachel’s familiar face.

==================================================

From this moment

I will love you as long as I live

From this moment on

==============================

There you go R&R please!!!!!

Enjoy

Julie

Xxx

It’s just a short one because it’s late and I’m tired. I’ll put more up as soon as I can.

Chapter 2

Checking Fate

==============================================

“Hey” Lucas said softly as he walked in the room putting his schoolbag down on the floor and then leaning over to kiss her on the forehead “How are you feeling?”

“I’m okay” she quietly said back.

“I brought you some catch up from school for when you feel up to it.” Lucas said sitting on the bed beside her “How are you really feeling?” he tried to ask in his sincerest, least sympathetic voice. He hoped that she wouldn’t backlash on him.

“I said I’m fine” she said with an annoyed tone in her voice

“Mattie?” Lucas said

“Luke, I understand that you’re worried but I’m dealing with this in my own. So could you please just drop it?”

“I have history and maths revision for you. And Sally and Mr.Baker said they’d bring stuff in when they come and see you” Lucas said standing up of the bed and walking away from her.

Matilda sighed and looked at the ceiling and Lucas searched through his bag. They both waited for the other to give in, for the other to speak. The silence was filled with the beeping of the heart monitor which was attached to Mattie’s chest.

“When did we stop talking?” Matilda asked bringing her head back down to face him.

“We talk.” Lucas stated

“Properly… all we seem to do is fight or be the go betweens for Cas or Ric and Belle. We never talk, Lucas. We used to talk about how we felt and now we just bottle it up.”

“Well in that case. I guess I hate myself for not being there to protect you.”

“You couldn’t have stopped him Lucas. He was going to do that whether I was with you, Cassie or Rica.”

“I shouldn’t have let you go alone.” He said sitting next to the bed

“Do you know what I was thinking about the whole time?” Matilda said looking into his eyes “I was thinking about you. I thought about all the times we were together and when I heard you’re voice, I couldn’t put you through what I’m going to put you through. With the counselling and me being terrified to let anyone touch me.”

“What are you saying?”

“I’m saying that you can leave if you want. I don’t want to see you get hurt so I’m giving you a chance to walk out and we’ll be friends or step brother and sister or whatever. I just…..” she stopped when Lucas’s hand lifted her chin to look him in the eye.

“I told you I loved you more than anything in the world… I meant that. I’m not leaving Mattie whether you like it or not your stuck with me… because I love you” he explained pulling her into his chest

==========================================================

It's kinda rubbish and short sorry!!!!

LUV

JULIE

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 3

Seeing features

Matilda woke from a deep sleep, her legs felt numb from lying in the same bed for so long. ‘Most people would have loved it’ she thought to herself clicking her fingers ‘But not me’. She looked at the ceiling and the 46 tiles she had counted many a time. Her mind went for a wander for the 4th time today even though she didn’t want to think, it happened like clockwork. She would remember the things she had done two weeks ago and relive the moment when she saw Callan. Her thoughts were interrupted by a quiet knock on the door.

“Is it okay if I come in?” Noah asked

“Yeah sure” she said pulling herself up.

“I was just in to see how you were doing” he stated “But it’s kind of an obvious question.”

“Yes it is. But I’m okay.” She put on a fake smile

“I’m not a family member or a boyfriend. You don’t have to lie to me.”

“You can read people like a book”

“I’m a counsellor. This is kind of why I’m here. I think it would be worth your while to get a counsellor, someone who is impartial in the situation and help you through it.”

“Noah, I’m not nuts.”

“I never said that. I mean we would start by talking about things then hopefully get you to move on with your life.” He said sympathise looking at the cut, drained teenager sitting in the bed next to him.

“We?” she asked raising her eyebrows

“I thought that since you knew me and I wasn’t your friend’s dad it would be a lot easier. What do you think?”

“You wouldn’t tell anyone?” she asked

“Everything would be incomplete confidence. And I’ll be there anytime you need to talk or you don’t want to tell Luke or Cassie something. I’m just a phone call away.” He looked in her eyes and she didn’t look good. Her face was drained of colour and she looked like she hadn’t slept. He noticed that she kept playing with her fingers and fidgeting “So… do we have a deal?”

=====================================================

“Hey dude” Jack said as Lucas walked into the diner, he walked over to his father and brother who were sitting on the booth at the back of the diner.

“You looked bummed.” Jack stated moving along the bench letting Lucas sit down.

“Yeah, I haven’t been sleeping lately. I just keep thinking about Mattie being on her own in the hospital.” Lucas blurted out from the sheer need to do exactly that

“Well, she’s not on her own, Mate. She has people visiting her and the nurses. I think Noah’s there just now.” Tony reassured his son, who right now looked as white as a sheet.

“It’s not the same. I just wish she would let me stay over for a night to keep her safe.” Lucas said

“How about I stay there tonight?” Tony asked hoping that would give him the confidence that she would be okay “I won’t let anything happen to her. I promise.”

“I think that would be good.” He said to his milkshake

=====================================================

“Hey Noah” Jack said as he walked into the room

“Hey. I better head, I shall see you tomorrow” he said kissing Matilda on the cheek

“Okay” she mouthed as Jack and Tony kissed her on the cheek one after the other.

“Luke is going to stay at home tonight and get some long awaited rest” Jack said pulling a chair over. “And Beth is taking Henry back to school.”

“Thank god, I thought he was soon going to take my place” she tried to laugh “So um…. Noah is going to be my counsellor” she nodded

“Oh I thought you said you didn’t want one?” Tony asked

“Well, I was convinced I suppose.”

“How do you feel about me staying here tonight? Luke was worried incase you get lonely.” Tony questioned

“It’s fine you don’t have…” her sentence was cut off.

“I want to.” Tony interrupted

“Thank you.”

=============================================

As she lay in her bed she looked at Tony, he was fast asleep on a chair next to the bed. He reminded her of her dad; he was always there for someone in need… no matter what. As she began to dose into a sleep she jumped as she saw a figure standing in the corner. Her breathing became rapidly fast as the figure stepped out of the shadows.

“Dad?”

===============================================

Thank you to Jess for her input

Enjoy

Julie

Chapter 4

Home sweet home or not !

=================================

Lucas stretched his arms wide out over his double bed, he looked over at the opposite side of the bed and sighed as he realised that Matilda was not beside him, like she hadn’t been for the week she had been home.

She wouldn’t let him touch her. She’d would flinch every time he brushed pass her. And it wasn’t just him; she didn’t let Ric, Jack or Dad touch her even if it was just for a hug… it was as though he was there whenever she turned around.

The only person she would talk to about how she felt was Noah for obvious reasons.

Luke let the cover glide over his bare torso as he rolled over and pulled himself out of bed.

=============================================

Matilda stared at the wall with what now seemed like hundreds of picture on it. There were loads of them- Cassie and Ric- Luke and her- her and Cassie- Luke and Cassie and so on. There were two particular ones that caught her eye; one was all four of them when they decided to go camping in the bush with Jack and Martha. They were standing in the lake soaking wet looking happier than ever. The second one was one that Irene had taken at Tony’s 42nd, it was a Hunter/Holden picture- Jack, Tony and Lucas and the only 3 of the remaining Hunter clan in the Bay , Mum, Robbie and Matilda. She smiled to herself as she took a heavy breath and pulled herself out of bed.

She thought about what she would do today. Maybe she would stay in and watch the countless DVD’s that had collected in the lounge or she would sit on instant messenger all day.

‘No’ she thought to herself ‘I’m going out today’.

Sorry it’s so short!!!!!!!!

Julie

Xxx

• 4 weeks later...

Chapter 5

========================

3 months later

===============================

Matilda sat on her towel and let her fingers flick through the magazine pages. She had had almost 3months of counselling with Noah and was slowly bringing back the confidence in herself again. Sure, she was terrified to let a man of any sort touch her, even Lucas. There were still some insecurities, one that weren’t going to leave anytime soon, especially with the court case coming up soon. She sighed heavily as Cassie turned onto her back.

“Can you pass the sunscreen?” she asked Belle, who was lying on the other side of Matilda. The sunscreen was passed behind Mattie’s back and suddenly Belle asked Matilda a question she had been dreading.

“So, M, do you want us to come to the trial?” she asked

“I not sure if I want to go.” Matilda replied “But I know I have to” Matilda looked up from her magazine and stared into the distance.

“It’s gonna be hard but Mattie but we are all here” Belle stated which Cassie agreed with.

“I know” Matilda said quickly as she got up and turned towards them “I’m going for a walk, I’ll get you at the bar. Bye” she said before she ran off, pulling her tank top over her bikini as she went.

“What did you say?” Ric questioned as he and Lucas walked towards the girls

“Nothing, she just ran off” Cassie replied

===============================

Matilda had finally made it out of site of her friends when she slumped herself against a tree, she looked around and waited…

… Eventually she heard twigs cracking behind her and she quickly turned round.

“Hi” she sighed with a hint of relief

“Hey, Princess” he said as he walked over and kissed her forehead “How’s it going?”

“Okay, Noah and I are working on some stuff and he thinks that, if I feel like it, I should be back at school soon.” She smiled

“That’s great Sweetie, you said last time we met that you had been feeling ill, are you feeling better?” he asked

“Actually that what I wanted to talk to you about… Dad”

==============================

Sorry it’s so short!!!! Writers block lol

Thanks for all the reviews guys… I know there hasn’t been a build up to this bit, but I felt like writing it to make it more romantic with a bit of a twist.

Chapter 6

I don’t want to miss a thing

=============================

I could stay awake just to hear you breathing

Watch you smile while you are sleeping

While you're far away dreaming

I could spend my life in this sweet surrender

I could stay lost in this moment forever

Every moment spent with you is a moment I treasure

============================

Matilda lay silently in her bed listening to the rush around the house that weddings bring. She gazed at the photo sitting on her nightstand beside her, the photo of her and Lucas. She had told her dad 2 days ago and he had told her to trust herself, tears welled up in her eyes as she thought of how their lives would change and she knew she had to tell him. But she would wait; let him have at least a few more hours before their lives change forever.

2 weeks previously

==================

“Are you sure you’re ready?” Lucas asked propping himself above her

“I love you Lucas, I trust you. Yes, I’m ready” she answered kissing him.

“I love you too.” He whispered

========================================

Don't want to close my eyes

I don't want to fall asleep

Cause I'd miss you baby

And I don't want to miss a thing

Cause even when I dream of you

The sweetest dream will never do

I'd still miss you baby

==================================

When Matilda finally came out of her room, Beth was sitting on a chair in the middle of the living room with Leah doing her hair and Hayley, her make-up. Martha and Tasha were making breakfast in the kitchen as the aroma of bacon made Matilda feel as though she wanted to throw up.

“Hey sweets, do you want to grab a shower before Leah does your hair?” Beth asked

“Morning” Matilda said kissing her mum’s cheek “I go a walk and then grab a shower” she smiled.

She walked towards the place they always meet. He was already standing there when she got there.

“Hi” he said

“Hey, what’s wrong?” she asked

“I can’t stay sweetheart.”

“Why not?” her eyes filled with tears

“Because you faced your demons, you don’t need me anymore.”

“You can’t leave. I do need you. Please Daddy, don’t go” she cried as he pulled her close.

“Baby, I love you so much. But I have to.” He said as he embraced her “Your mum’s getting married sweetie, she’s moved on. You have to too. Tony loves you sweetheart, whether you want to believe it or not. And no matter where you are, I’ll always be in here” he said touching her heart.

“I love you”

Lying close to you feeling your heart beating

And I'm wondering what you're dreaming

Wondering if it's me you're seeing

Then I kiss your eyes

And thank god we're together

I just want to stay with you in this moment forever

Forever and ever

Tony ran along the beach trying to get rid of the hangover that had progressed from the numerous shot, Lucas, Jack and Ric had made him drink. He stopped for a break when he saw Matilda sitting on the bench staring into the horizon.

“Mattie!” he shouted as he walked up to her and sat down beside her, he looked at her as he noticed she had been crying “What’s wrong?”

“H…he left” she sniffed

“Who left?” Tony asked wrapping his arms around her

“Dad, you probably think I’m nuts but I kept seeing him after the attack” she said

“I don’t think your nuts. I used to see Katie after she died a lot. But you have to move on, whether that is getting married again or accepting a new member into the family, we all have to move on, whether we like it or not.”

“I’m going to miss him” she said finally looking him in the eye.

“I know. But I’m always here for you.” He smiled

==================================================

“Matilda, where have you been? Quick come and get your hair and make-up done” Beth said frantically “We only have 2 hours and we haven’t even eaten” she panicked

“Mum? Mum! I’ll be ready” she laughed as she sat down in the chair.

Cause I'd miss you baby

I'd still miss you baby

===========================================

As the chairs began to fill up, Lucas checked his pocket one more time for the rings. He looked at Ric, Cassie and Belle who gave him encouraging smiles. For the best man he was really nervous, maybe more nervous than Tony. His fist clenched as the seats were all filled and everyone began to quiet down.

When he looked up he saw Tasha and Martha walking slowly down the aisle with smiles on their faces. They came to the top of the aisle and broke of to one side with encouraging smiles for the groom’s party. Then Matilda began to walk down the aisle.

He sighed heavily as she took his breath away. She was wearing a light green, corset topped dress that flowed at her knees. Her hair was in loose curls that sat at her shoulders held back with a flower and she looked stunning, all eyes were on her and she was the happiest he had seen her in along time. She came to the top of the aisle where Tony stood and kissed him on the cheek as a sign of good luck then went to stand beside Martha and Tasha.

Then the bridal march began.

I don't want to miss one smile

I don't want to miss one kiss

I just want to be with you

Right here with you, just like this

I just want to hold you close

Feel your heart so close to mine

And just stay here in this moment

For all the rest of time

===============================================

The reception at Noah’s was in full swing when Lucas realised Matilda wasn’t there. He left Ric, Cassie and Belle and made his way out of the door. He scanned his surroundings and when he saw her he made his way down to where she stood.

“Hey, you looked gorgeous today” he stated “What are you doing out here?” he said walking towards her and wrapping his arms around her waist.

“I needed to think about how I was going to tell you this. And I didn’t know how to tell you this…” she stopped.

“Tell me what?” he asked

“I’m…. I’m pregnant” she blurted out

=================================================

Cause I'd miss you baby

I'd still miss you baby

Lucas stood in front of her awe struck; he didn’t know what to say he looked down at her as she stood waiting for an answer.

“Well, um…. You know I’ll be here for you? Like I said I would. Whatever you choose to do.” He managed to string together

“Well, that’s a good thing ‘cause I think most kids like their dad’s to be there for them.”

“What?”

“The baby, it isn’t Callan’s. You’re going to be a dad. And I understand if you don’t want to have anything to do with the baby but I’m keeping it, it’s part of me Lucas and I’m not going to get rid of it.”

“I’m not going to leave you. I love you and this baby. I’m not going anywhere. I promise” he said seriously as he pulled her in to his chest “We’re going to do this together.”

==========================================

I don't want to miss a thing

============================

I’ve decided that this is the last chapter of this fic but I’m going to be writing a sequel where everything will be cleared up with hopefully a happy ending.

Enjoy

Julie

Comments

Archived