zara grace

Story Title: Complications
Type of story: One Shot 
Main Characters: Mackenzie Booth, Dean Thompson, Levi Fowler, Mali Hudson
BTTB rating: see official ratings guidance right here
Genre: Romance, Drama
Does story include spoilers: Yes 
Any warnings: Sexual content
Summary: When Dean shows up back in the bay messed up and on Mackenzie's door step she knows she will have to bail on her date with the man shes having an affair with. When Levi gets worried he shows up and Dean discovers the truth.

The coastal breeze whispered through the quaint town of Summer Bay, carrying with it the salty scent of the ocean and the rhythmic sounds of the waves crashing against the shore. The day was wearing thin as the sun dipped below the horizon, casting a warm, golden glow over the idyllic landscape. The tranquil atmosphere, however, was about to be disrupted as the tranquility of Mackenzie's farmhouse was shattered by an unexpected and disheveled visitor.

Dean Thompson stumbled his way to Mackenzie's door, his usually rugged exterior now marred with signs of distress. His shirt was torn, and his face bore the marks of a struggle that had taken its toll. The usually confident and composed Dean seemed a shadow of himself as he raised a trembling hand to knock on Mackenzie's door.

The door creaked open, revealing Mackenzie, who had been getting ready for her date with Levi. Her eyes widened in surprise and concern as she took in the sight of Dean, a far cry from the familiar face she knew. "Dean? What happened to you?" she asked, her voice filled with genuine worry.

Dean hesitated, his gaze flickering away for a moment before meeting Mackenzie's eyes. "I... I needed to get away. I ended up here in the Bay," he confessed, his voice carrying a mix of desperation and uncertainty.

Mackenzie furrowed her brow, trying to make sense of the situation. "Why the Bay? You're supposed to be in Queensland," she queried, her concern deepening. Before she could press further, Dean swiftly changed the subject, his eyes scanning her appearance.

"Hey, why are you all glammed up?" Dean asked, a hint of a teasing smile playing on his lips. Mackenzie sighed, a mixture of amusement and frustration dancing in her eyes.

"It's for work," she explained, brushing off the question with a casual wave of her hand. "But that can wait. Come inside, Dean. You look like you've been through hell."

Dean offered a faint, appreciative smile and followed Mackenzie into the farmhouse. As the door closed behind them, Mackenzie couldn't shake the curiosity about Dean's sudden appearance in Summer Bay. Yet, for now, she chose to put her concerns on hold, focusing on the immediate need to help her brother.

The dim light of the farmhouse lounge room cast a warm and comforting ambiance as Mackenzie led Dean inside. The air was thick with tension as they settled on the floor, a sense of urgency hanging in the room like an unspoken question. Mackenzie studied her brother, her concern deepening as she took in the toll that recent events had taken on him.

Seated on the floor, Mackenzie couldn't hold back any longer. "Dean, what's going on?" she asked gently, her eyes searching his for answers. "I've never seen you like this before. What happened to you?"

Dean sighed heavily, his shoulders slumping as he wrestled with the weight of his emotions. "It's Ziggy," he admitted, his voice breaking slightly. "She found it too hard being near Amber and Jai all the time. The memories were too much. She struggled with Izzy. She left, Mack. She left us."

Mackenzie's eyes widened in shock and confusion, her mind racing to comprehend the magnitude of Dean's revelation. "What? But I thought Ziggy loved you, loved the family you built together," she stammered, struggling to reconcile this unforeseen turn of events with the image she had of her brother's seemingly happy life.

Dean's eyes welled up with unshed tears as he nodded, his voice barely a whisper. "I thought so too. But she just couldn't handle it anymore. She left us and moved to Rome."

Mackenzie's confusion deepened into disbelief. "Rome? Just like that?" she exclaimed, her mind struggling to grasp the suddenness of Ziggy's departure.

Dean nodded again, the weight of his heartbreak evident in every gesture. "I tried to make her stay, begged her to reconsider, but she was determined. She said she needed a fresh start, away from everything that reminded her of what we had."

The room fell into a heavy silence as Mackenzie processed the heartbreaking news. Her mind raced with thoughts of the brother she had always seen as unbreakable, now shattered by the unexpected turn of events. Unable to contain her emotions any longer, Mackenzie wrapped her arms around Dean, pulling him into a comforting embrace.

Dean's façade crumbled, and he broke down, his tears flowing freely. Mackenzie held him close, a mixture of sadness and anger coursing through her. The bond between siblings had never been more evident, the farmhouse serving as a sanctuary for Dean to share his pain.

As Mackenzie cradled her broken brother in the embrace of the farmhouse's living room, the somber atmosphere was disrupted by the gentle buzz of her phone. It lay forgotten on the coffee table, its screen lighting up with a text. The words illuminated in the dim room, "Hey, where are you? Running a bit late, got something special planned. Can't wait to see you."

Mackenzie glanced at the message, her brows furrowing with a mix of guilt and hesitation. The allure of an unexpected surprise from Levi tugged at her, but her commitment to Dean and his emotional turmoil took precedence. She sighed, her focus returning to her distraught brother, who was looking up at her with tear-streaked eyes.

Dean noticed the distraction, his gaze flickering to the phone. "You should reply," he said, a shadow of selflessness in his voice. "I don't want to keep you from your plans."

Mackenzie shook her head, a determined glint in her eyes. "No, Dean. Right now, my only plan is to be here for you. Whatever surprise is waiting for me can wait. I'm not leaving you alone in this."

Dean's eyes softened with gratitude as he tightened his grip on his sister. "You don't have to do that, Mack. I'll be okay."

Mackenzie gently brushed away a tear from Dean's cheek. "I know you will, but you're not going through this alone. I'm here for you, no matter what."

She picked up her phone, glancing at the message. Her thumb hovered over the screen, contemplating whether to reply or not. Dean, sensing her internal struggle, spoke up again, "You sure about this, Mack?"

Mackenzie nodded, a small smile playing on her lips. "I'm sure, Dean. Whoever it is, they can wait. Right now, you're my priority."

With that, Mackenzie silenced her phone, placing it back on the coffee table. The room fell into a serene quiet, the only sound the soft sobs escaping from Dean. Mackenzie continued to hold her brother, offering a silent reassurance that in that moment, nothing else mattered but being present for the one who needed her the most.

The sun had dipped below the horizon, casting a gentle twilight glow over the picturesque landscape of Summer Bay. Levi, dressed in anticipation of a special evening, found himself pacing nervously at the agreed-upon meeting place. His excitement slowly morphed into worry as the minutes ticked by, and there was still no sign of Mackenzie. The anticipation that once fueled his steps was now replaced by a growing sense of unease.

Concern etched across his face, Levi decided to head to the Surf Club, thinking that maybe Mackenzie had encountered an unexpected delay. As he entered, he spotted Mali, Mackenzie's housemate, enjoying a quiet evening.

Levi approached Mali with a furrowed brow. "Hey, Mali. Have you seen Mackenzie? We were supposed to meet, but she's not responding to my texts, and she's not at our meeting spot."

Mali, sipping on his drink, glanced up and offered a friendly smile. "Oh, hey, Levi. Mackenzie? She's probably just getting ready. You know how she is – always meticulous about everything."

Levi's worry deepened, and he shook his head. "No, Mali, that's not like her at all. She's never late. I've been waiting for her, and she's not answering my calls or texts. Something doesn't feel right."

Mali, initially nonchalant, set down his drink, sensing the urgency in Levi's tone. "Come on, Levi. I'm sure she's fine. Maybe she lost track of time or had an emergency. Mackenzie is a responsible person; she wouldn't leave you hanging without a good reason."

Levi sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I know, Mali, but it's just not like her. We had plans, something special, and she wouldn't miss it without letting me know. I can't shake this feeling that something's wrong."

Mali, now more attentive, leaned in. "Look, Levi, I get that you're worried, but sometimes things just come up. Maybe she's caught up with something important. You know how unpredictable life can be."

Levi couldn't shake off the anxiety, and he couldn't ignore the unsettling feeling gnawing at him. "I get it, but it's not like her to leave me in the dark. I need to know if she's okay."

Mali, trying to be reassuring, offered a comforting pat on Levi's shoulder. "Levi, trust me, Mackenzie is a strong and capable person. If there's a delay, it's probably for a good reason. Give her a little more time before you start panicking. I'm sure she'll reach out to you soon."

Levi nodded reluctantly, his mind still swirling with worry. As he left the Surf Club, he couldn't shake off the unease that had settled in his chest. The thought of Mackenzie in distress fueled his concern, and he couldn't shake off the feeling that something was amiss.

The moon hung low in the Summer Bay sky, casting shadows across the landscape as Levi's worry reached its peak. Unable to shake the sense of unease, he made his way to Mackenzie's farmhouse, each step heavier than the last. The night air was cool, but his anxiety burned within him, fueled by the unanswered calls and texts.

Arriving at the farmhouse, Levi was greeted by an eerie silence. The sound of the night seemed to amplify his concern, and he hesitated before reaching for the doorknob. Surprisingly, the door swung open without resistance, a wave of uncertainty washing over him. "Mackenzie?" he called out, the worry lacing his voice evident.

As he stepped inside, the darkness of the farmhouse enveloped him. "Mackenzie, where are you?" he called again, his heart pounding in his chest. The air seemed to thicken as he moved through the house, the suspense of the unknown amplifying his anxiety.

In the lounge room, Mackenzie and Dean sat in a cocoon of shared pain. Mackenzie, still cradling her brother, looked up at the sound of her name being called. "Who is it?" Dean asked, his eyes searching for any sign of danger.

Levi's voice echoed through the quiet room, "Mackenzie? Are you here?" Relief washed over him as he saw her silhouette in the dim light.

Mackenzie's eyes widened with surprise, a mix of emotions crossing her face. "Levi?" she exclaimed, her voice a mixture of relief and concern.

Levi rushed toward the sound of her voice, his eyes scanning the room until they locked onto Mackenzie. The tension that had gripped him for what felt like an eternity slowly began to release as he saw her alive and well. He took in the scene before him – Mackenzie sitting on the floor, her eyes red from tears, and her brother, Dean, who looked equally disheveled.

A surge of worry turned into a wave of relief, and Levi couldn't contain the emotions that welled up within him. Without hesitation, he crossed the room and enveloped Mackenzie in a tight embrace. "I was so worried. Why didn't you answer my calls or texts?" he murmured into her hair, his voice filled with a mix of relief and frustration.

Mackenzie hugged him back just as tightly, her own worry dissipating in the warmth of Levi's embrace. "I knew you'd be worried, but I couldn't leave Dean alone," she explained, her voice filled with a mixture of apology and gratitude.

Levi pulled back slightly, cupping her face in his hands as he looked into her eyes. "I get that, Mack, but I was scared something happened to you. You can't just disappear like that without letting me know."

Mackenzie nodded, understanding the depth of Levi's concern. "I'm sorry, Levi. I should've let you know. But Dean needed me, and I couldn't turn my back on him."

Levi's gaze softened, and he placed a gentle kiss on Mackenzie's forehead. "I understand, but next time, just send a message or something. I was going out of my mind with worry."

Mackenzie smiled appreciatively, acknowledging his concern. As Levi looked around, his eyes finally fell on Dean, who had been observing the exchange in silence. Levi's expression shifted from relief to curiosity as he extended a hand towards Dean. "I'm Levi, Mackenzie's... friend. Are you okay?"

Dean, still processing the sudden intrusion, shook Levi's hand, a mixture of gratitude and vulnerability in his eyes. "Dean. Mackenzie's brother," he replied, his voice hoarse from the emotions he had been wrestling with.

Levi nodded, realizing the gravity of the situation. "Nice to meet you, Dean. I'm glad Mackenzie has family looking out for her."

Mackenzie, sensing the tension, interjected with a small smile. "Levi, this is Dean, my brother. Dean, this is Levi."

The room settled into a momentary silence as Dean watched Mackenzie and Levi and how they were with each other.

The farmhouse held a lingering tension as Dean's inquisitive gaze shifted between Mackenzie and Levi. "Is he your boyfriend?" he asked, his tone a mix of curiosity and concern. "And why haven't you mentioned him before?"

Mackenzie took a deep breath, meeting her brother's eyes with a hint of apprehension. "Dean, this is... Yes, he's someone important to me, but it's complicated. He's married."

Dean's eyebrows furrowed, a flash of confusion passing over his face. "Complicated? You're involved with a married man?"

Mackenzie nodded, feeling the weight of the admission. "It's not what you think, Dean. Levi and I have a history, and things are... complicated. I was going to tell you about him tonight, but everything got so overwhelming."

Before the conversation could delve deeper, Levi interjected, his expression earnest. "Mackenzie, I was going to tell you tonight. I've separated from Imogen. We're not together anymore."

Dean's eyes widened in surprise, and a small smile tugged at his lips. "Separated? Well, that's a start. At least one of us is getting some happiness."

Mackenzie, relieved that the truth was out, managed a soft smile. "Dean, I know it's a lot to take in, but Levi and I care about each other. It's complicated, but we're figuring it out."

Dean's stern expression softened, and he looked at Levi. "Listen, mate, I'm glad my sister has someone who cares about her. But if you hurt her, you'll have me to deal with."

Levi met Dean's gaze, his tone serious. "I would never hurt Mackenzie. I love her, Dean."

Dean nodded, seemingly satisfied with Levi's response. "Good. She deserves happiness."

As the weight of the conversation lifted, Levi turned to Mackenzie with a soft smile. "I was going to tell you tonight about the separation, but things got a bit chaotic."

Mackenzie chuckled, a mixture of relief and understanding in her eyes. "Well, we certainly know how to add drama to our lives, don't we?"

Levi chuckled in response. "Seems like it. But now that everything's out in the open, we can move forward, right?"

Mackenzie nodded, reaching for Levi's hand. "Right."

It was after that when Dean excused himself to give Mackenzie and Levi a minute alone, the two sat on the couch Levi holding Mackenzie in his arms, for the first time since they got together, everything felt like it would be alright. Levi gave Mackenzie tender kisses and Mackenzie felt the happiest she had ever been.