Future Story Theory-Dean Thompson Abuse Storyline?

Nephlim14

Hello everyone! I just thought of this as an idea. Due to recent events in the series regarding Deans arc, It came to my mind that it would be a good fit for Dean in a storyline where he's in a relationship with an abusive partner. 

If youd like me to explain why, I will, but I want to see what you guys think.

Interesting. Have they ever done a domestic violence storyline before when the male is a victim? I find the storyline idea very appealing. Domestic violence towards males in a relationship is something that happens that I don't think gets enough awareness. Not saying Dean shouldn't get this storyline but am interested in hearing your reasons why picked him.

19 hours ago, project90 said:

Interesting. Have they ever done a domestic violence storyline before when the male is a victim? I find the storyline idea very appealing. Domestic violence towards males in a relationship is something that happens that I don't think gets enough awareness. Not saying Dean shouldn't get this storyline but am interested in hearing your reasons why picked him.

This was exactly what I was going to say. It would be a super appealing and moving television product if it was to occur, particularly if it's Dean of all males to be put in this position because he is the tough "bad boy" of the bay

The closest thing I can think of is that Aden Jefferies and we later find out his dad as well were abused by their grandfather, but all of this took place before they were characters and also wasn't even discussed properly until Aden became a regular and his background was further explored

21 hours ago, project90 said:

1 hour ago, CaptainTed84 said:

This was exactly what I was going to say. It would be a super appealing and moving television product if it was to occur, particularly if it's Dean of all males to be put in this position because he is the tough "bad boy" of the bay

The closest thing I can think of is that Aden Jefferies and we later find out his dad as well were abused by their grandfather, but all of this took place before they were characters and also wasn't even discussed properly until Aden became a regular and his background was further explored

The reason I think it would be a fit for Dean is cuz I believe it would aid his character development the most. After seeing him onscreen and reading abut his backstory and early years on the show, Im under the belief that his main flaw is that he has a low sense of self-worth combined with weak agency. This would make him very vulnerable to an abusive partner along with societal pressures and ingrained beliefs.

Multiple times he's had people he considered family coerce him into situations he either wasn't comfortable with, wasn't good for him or just plain wrong. Additionally, whenever he's tried to show independence and leave said situations, he's always backed down because someone either convinced him he was wrong for doing it or by invoking his notions of loyalty and family. 

(Note: Plus, I think it can be argued that a number of his relationships had elements and shades of an abusive relationship. Id go into detail and explain this, but Ill only do it if you guys want to cuz that point would be a very large diatribe) 

This would make an abusive storyline more believable because (at least on TV) these are the go to manipulation tactics of an abuser, especially when said abuser is the wife. If said partner did something to Dean and he tried to leave, it would make sense she would try to convince him that he did something to warrant it or hold it over his head that leaving would mean breaking their family or some such thing. It would make sense that Dean fell prey to this because throughout his stories this is the type of stuff he's told constantly by other characters whenever he disagrees with someone.

Overall, if they chose to go this route with Dean, I think it should be the last arc for his character. Like I said, I believe Deans biggest issue is his lack of agency. It would set the stage for him to finally learn when he's is a toxic situation and learn to assert himself in such situation.

Archived