Rebekah Elmaloglou: 'I lost passion for acting'

Guest Nasty_robinson

Neighbours newcomer Rebekah Elmaloglou has admitted that she needed time away from acting after Home and Away.

The actress was last seen as Summer Bay's Sophie Simpson when she returned for a guest appearance in 2005. She first portrayed the character in 1990.

soaps-neighbours-rebekah-elmaloglou_tere

© Channel 5

Rebekah Elmaloglou as Terese Willis.

Elmaloglou, who has now signed up to play Ramsay Street's Terese Willis, told TV Week: "I've been in the industry since I was eight, and I felt like I lost the passion for it. You go through phases in your life and especially because I'd started so young, I was at the point where I just wanted to lay low."

The 39-year-old worked in childcare as she took time out from showbiz. Her Neighbours role came about after she decided to return to the acting world.

Terese is the wife of returning character Brad Willis, who is now played by Kip Gamblin. The couple will move onto the Street with their children Joshua and Imogen.

soaps-neighbours-willis-family.jpg

© Channel 5

The Willis Family; Brad, Terese, Imogen and Josh.

Viewers first meet Terese when she is approached to take on the job of general manager at the Lassiter's hotel.

Elmaloglou explained: "Moving from one soap to another is bizarre. The workload and production style is very similar to Home and Away, but Neighbours shoot an extra episode a week, so it's fast-paced."

Neighbours airs Terese's first scenes next week on Eleven in Australia and in June on Channel 5 in the UK.

• 9 months later...

Archived