The Empty Void

Guest mizziette

5 weeks ago

She walked into her room, gently nudging her awake before guiding her up and into the bathroom. She put the toothpaste on the toothbrush and the toothbrush in her hand, leading her hand towards her mouth. Ruby looked at Charlie to make sure she was going through the motions before leaving to get ready.

Looking after her mum was taking a toll on her. She was continuously late for school and her grades were dropping. Charlie was always mentally distant and spaced out frequently. The once strong, talkative woman was now uncommunicative, dissociated and easily distracted. Her mind always seemed to be on one thing. Joel.

After

Ruby walked into her mum’s room to coax her awake but found her bed empty. Worried, she searched the house. Walking into the living area, she was surprised to find Charlie sitting at the breakfast table in her white slip and robe, pouring coffee for herself. It was the first time all month she had gotten out of bed without being coaxed and she was so unimaginably proud and happy for her, although she had an uncertain feeling her mum’s change of attitude might have had something to do with a certain tattooed man.

‘Good morning.’ She said chirpily, kissing her on the forehead, before sitting down. Charlie smiled half-heartedly before letting her face return to its usual saddened state.

Ruby was so pleased at her mum’s progress; she didn’t pay attention as she made her breakfast. Charlie grabbed the cereal box and concentrated on it as her daughter teased VJ about god knows what in her sisterly way. She wanted to pick it up but it was like she had lost all the strength she had felt when she woke up that morning.

Eventually Leah saw her roommate had spaced out again and picked up the cereal box for her, which had cartoon children plastered all over it. She proceeded to pour it for her and put the spoon in Charlie’s hand, and nudged it towards her mouth.

Ruby noticed her mum’s distance had returned and felt a little disappointed for getting her hopes up too high but however gradually, she was glad she was improving and returning slowly into her former self.

6 weeks ago

He checked her heartbeat, blood pressure and bandages, making sure everything was alright enough for her to go home. He checked each of her wounds one by one; the incision on her skull, the slashes and cuts on her lower body for heavy bleeding. Sid told Charlie and her family to return in 6 weeks for a check up to confirm that everything was still in order and there were no complications before allowing them to fill the discharge papers.

After

Brax waited until school had started before making his way towards Charlie’s house. After the movie last night, he had left with Casey as Charlie was about to go to bed. There had been little talking but he was amazed at how comfortable it had felt just being there with her. It was almost like the last two months had never happened, but he knew that wasn't true.

The back door was open so he let himself through into the living room to find Charlie about to head out. She looked surprised to see him and halted as he entered. ‘Hey, going somewhere?’

‘I have an appointment at the hospital for a check-up. Leah was supposed to take me but-‘

‘I can take you.’ Charlie looked up surprised. ‘I mean, if you like, I have nothing on right now, so.’ Brax backtracked.

‘It’s at one. I was going to walk.’

‘Great, I’m free then too. And I love walking. Can’t get enough of it.’

‘Okay then.’ She grabbed her keys and walked out the door with Brax.

They walked along the Old Creek road to the hospital, enjoying the comfortable silence. As they strolled along the side of the road, Brax discretely slipped his hand into hers, startling Charlie. She looked down at their entwined hands and squeezed it for a few seconds before slipping out of his grasp.

Reaching the hospital, they were greeted by Sid Walker, who tried to look unfazed by his friend’s companion. He led her into the examination room and asked her to put on the patterned hospital gown, before giving her some privacy. When he returned, he closed the screens and began his examination.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for the comments

Before

She was late. Very late. Her cycle had always been irregular but she had never been this late before. She couldn’t remember the last time she had had her period. Actually she could. She hadn’t had it since the first time she’d been with Brax. Surely she would have known by now if she was pregnant for that long. Three months was a long time.

Charlie saw the second hand strike twelve, and looked down at the home pregnancy test in her hand as it showed a positive sign. Sighing, she wondered what she was going to do.

After

Sid had told Charlie that her body was healing gradually and everything was alright. He warned her about the return of her period and worried about her lack of weight and communicativeness but overall gave her the okay.

On the way back to the house, she felt tired and drained and her stomach cramped slightly but she took little notice. It was common after miscarriage so she saw no reason for concern. ‘I’ll be back.’ She told Brax as soon as they got home, and headed to use the bathroom. She removed her baggy pants and undies and found a spot of blood on her underwear.

When Brax saw Charlie’s tears as she returned to the living room, he rushed to her side and held her as the tears turned into uncontrollable weeping. Her body dropped in fatigue and they sat together on the floor as he stroked her hair comfortingly. It was the first time, Charlie had gotten her period since the loss and the absence of Joel was made frighteningly real for her. She wasn't pregnant anymore and she felt empty.

She sobbed into Brax’ chest, holding onto his flannel shirt as tightly as she could, afraid if she let go, that everything would fall apart. He took her in his arms and carried her to her room, gently placing her under the sheets and tucking her in as if she were a child. Sitting down next to her, he stroked her hair softly as she felt asleep in his arms.

Before

He called and called her. He couldn’t let her go without a fight. Something was upsetting Charlie and he wanted to work through it with her, and he wouldn’t just sit back after she broke up with him, not this time. She meant too much to Brax.

He looked at the time and realised he was supposed to meet Heath at the warehouse to get rid of the stuff soon, but he didn’t care. Charlie was more important. He pressed the dial button and he went straight to voicemail yet again.

After

Leah spied as Brax walked over to Charlie with the two chocolate sundaes she had just given him and sat next to her. He put a straw in the cup and placed it in her hand, before attending to his own drink. They had been spending an awful lot of time together the last couple of weeks and her friend was becoming very dependent on him. She was somewhat relieved at this, because Ruby was doing better in school and the pressure was lessened by the additional help, on everyone. Plus, Brax wasn't really so bad, was he? At least not on the eye anyway.

‘Oh, so it’s true then.’ Colleen saw the two unlikely companions sitting together and immediately jumped to conclusions. ‘Our Sergeant Buckton really has lost her marbles. I heard as much, from Madge Wilkins, that she was away with the pixies, that is. Like a zombie, she said. Losing a child can do that to a woman, I suppose. I heard of a young lady who went mad after miscarrying and the husband had to put her in a psychic hospital.’

Leah sighed in relief as she paused but her relief was short lived. ‘Although,’ she continued. ‘Someone should box that Braxton boy’s ear for trying to corrupt our dear sergeant in her fragile position. She doesn’t seem like the type to take the fancy of a man of his humble origins, does she?’

‘What exactly is his type, Colleen?’ Leah watched as Brax wiped her friend’s hand lovingly with a tissue as she spilt the sundae on herself. He walked her over to the wheelchair bathroom at the back to help her wash the sticky chocolate off.

‘Oh, you know the type, a million dollar body and a two dollar engine. Like that Teagan girl that was strutting around like she was god knows what all those months ago. Awful girl, that. And that doesn’t sound like Sergeant Buckton to me. They’re everywhere, that lot, so I don’t see why he has to brainwash our good sergeant. Although, she has been a few fries short of a happy meal lately, I suppose. Maybe she is his type, after all.’

Maybe. Brax and Charlie walked out of the bathroom, and Leah’s eyes moved with them while working at the counter as the two unlikely companions grabbed their sundaes and strolled out of the diner.

Before

He called his brother for the hundredth time, only to find his line still busy. He was supposed to meet him at the warehouse over an hour ago but he still hadn’t showed. He threw his phone at the ground in frustration and was distracted by a thud on the loft. Walking as quietly as possible, he crept up the stairs to find Charlie Buckton creeping slowly, gun in hand.

Grabbing a shovel, Heath slowly crept behind her and flung the instrument at her.

After

Brax woke up with his arms around Charlie and kissed her softly on her forehead. He loved spending every spare moment with her and she had become a routine engagement in his daily life. He loved being in public with her for the first time in their relationship. Sure, their relationship itself, at the moment, was very much platonic but if that was what she was comfortable with for now then he would learn to make do with it. He didn’t need to kiss her to love her.

Releasing himself from her embrace, Brax headed into the kitchen where Ruby was slugging down her coffee in a rush, before running out the door. She ran straight back in and grabbed her backpack from the living room, before flashing out again, hastily saying goodbye to him.

‘Bye.’ Brax reached for the coffee and poured himself a mug while Leah walked in with her robe on and rummaged through the fridge. ‘Hey, what are you up to today?’

‘I need to go into Yabee Creek for some supplies for the restaurant. I haven’t been in in a while.

‘Can you grab some milk? We’re out.’ Leah walked over to the coffee machine and took a mug out of the cupboard. ‘What? If you’re going to live here, you might as well, pitch in.’

‘I don’t live here.’

‘You sleep here, eat here, and shower here. Could’ve fooled me.’ She walked back to her room.

Brax wondered at Leah’s casual remark. He really had been spending quite a lot of time in their house. He probably hadn’t seen his mum in days, only when he went home for clean clothes. Was he really living with Charlie? He smiled at the familiarity of the thought.

Before

She went into her son’s room and went through his desk, trying to find a pen. As she flicked through the mess, she nudged a large stack of papers onto the floor. Bending down to gather them, Cheryl Braxton found something quite startling. An ultrasound picture.

Shocked, she wondered who Brax had gotten pregnant. She wondered why he hadn’t told her yet; the picture was dated at 14 weeks. Curiosity swept over the potential grandmother to be as she put the picture back where she found it and hoped her son would tell her soon.

After

‘I wish I knew what was going on with Charlie and Brax.’ Ruby complained to her boyfriend. ‘He’s sleeping in her bed now. Who knows what they’re doing in there. It’s all just so freaky.’

Ruby and Casey walked into her house and flung their school bags on the floor before settling themselves in the kitchen. ‘You ever think about just asking her?’

Ruby looked shocked at the very suggestion. ‘I can’t ask Charlie. She might burst into tears or something. The other day I asked her if she wanted the last cookie and it was like the sky had fallen. She’s so emotional and fragile. The only person she really talks to is your brother.’ Lights turned on in her head. ‘I can’t ask Charlie but you could ask Brax. Come on, he’s your brother, I’d say he owes you an explanation.’

‘Why can’t you ask him?’

‘He’s not my brother, duh. Look, here he comes now.’ Brax walked in with a plastic shopping bag. He opened the fridge and

unloaded the milk carton.

‘Oh my god. He’s buying our groceries now?’ Ruby whispered in Casey’s ear. ‘Hey.’ She said out loud to Brax.

‘Hey guys, I was going to go home to grab something. Do you need a ride, Case?’

Casey shook his head and the brothers said goodbye to each other before Brax walked out the door.

Ruby grabbed her boyfriend, startling him and gestured discretely to Brax. ‘Why are you still here? Go talk to him.’ She whispered, playfully slapping Casey’s butt towards the door.

Rolling his eyes, Casey grabbed his bag and ran out the door after his brother, telling him he changed his mind about getting a ride home.

8 weeks ago

She lay in bed and drowned herself into the pillow. Her stomach was cramping from the heavy bleeding and she felt awful. The lactating had finally stopped but her breasts were still swollen and felt like they would burst at any second. Charlie knew Sid had warned her of the symptoms but she was in no way emotionally prepared for them. The incisions all over her body were still sore. She couldn’t move or breathe without unbelievable pain, both physically and mentally.

After

Brax and Casey sat in the grey car as they drove back to their home in Mangrove River. Casey looked to the driver’s seat and wondered what he was going to say. He hated it when Ruby’s grand ideas involved him, and the bossy woman she is, he rarely managed to get out of it.

‘So.’ Casey interrupted the silence and slanting his head uncertainly. ‘How’s it going?’

‘’right, you?’ Brax thought his baby brother was acting a little strange but didn’t dwell on it much.

‘Awesome.' He decided to get right to the point. 'So, you’ve been spending a lot of time with Charlie, huh.’

‘Yeah. That’s right.’

‘So, you’re like mates or-‘

‘That’s right.’ Now, Brax was sure Casey was up to something. ‘We playing 20 questions or what?’

Casey looked up in surprise in question. ‘Can you blame me for wanting to know more about my big brother?’ Brax didn’t look convinced. ‘Okay, here’s the deal. Ruby and I, we’re curious about- well, the thing is you haven’t been home in forever and we were wondering if, you know.’

‘Do I?’ Brax looked amused and Casey rolled his eyes. ‘Charlie and I are hanging out. We’re mates. That’s all you need to know.’

‘Do you have sleepovers with all your mates or just the really special ones?’

Brax pulled up into the driveway. ‘We’re home. Out you get.’ He cut the engine and slammed the door shut abruptly.

Casey watched him walk away, even more confused than when they had left Ruby’s house.

1 week ago

She looked into the empty room and felt empty. She loved Brax and Casey but although she’d never admit it aloud, Heath was her favourite son. She had never had to fear him leaving; the other two were the ones with bigger dreams, but here she was, all alone in his empty room, haunted with the certainty that he wouldn’t be back for a very long time.

Cheryl had three things she cared about most in this world; her three sons and it infuriated and devastated her to have to lose one of them all because of one little cop.

After

Charlie looked at Brax amazed at how comfortably they had slipped back into each other's lives. She wanted to spend every moment with him. As she waited for him to clean out the till before locking up the restaurant, she felt almost happy but dismissed the thought instantly, fearing happiness was a betrayal to Joel. Brax held out his hand towards her and she entwined her fingers with his and he walked her home.

She was easy with the status of their relationship. They were friends but Charlie had the feeling that Brax wanted something more. She had to admit, she wanted it too, but she was scared; of getting hurt and of the possibility of true happiness. Things were going so well, but there were still the initial worries that had troubled her when she first met him. Although people were too polite to say anything to her face, she knew they were talking and speculating when they saw the former sergeant with the man whose brother had hurt her.

‘Do you ever think about it?’

Charlie immobilised her thoughts for the moment to talk to Brax. ‘Think about what?’

‘What it would’ve been like. You, me and Joel. As a family.’

‘All the time. Every time I close my eyes and every time I open them, he’s on my mind. It’s like he’s haunting me. Especially when I see the ocean, all I see is his dark eyes, staring back.’

‘I keep his picture in my wallet.’ They paused as Brax took out his wallet and showed her.

Charlie looked at the ultrasound and her eyes glimmered with love. ‘You know you’re a dad when you keep your kid’s picture in your wallet.’

‘I keep yours in there too.’ He put his arms around the shivering woman and held her.

1 week ago

She saw the couple on the beach, holding hands. They looked so oblivious to the rest of the world. From her position at the top of the beach, she saw the way Charlie glanced up at him as they strolled and how they were so involved in each other. The thought of her with Brax made Georgina Watson sick. To her it was a betrayal to the force, no matter how vulnerable her colleague was. He was a criminal, it was as simple as that, and she would stop at nothing to throw him behind bars and show Charlie the naivety of her actions.

After

It was Saturday at noon and Brax was about to go to work. ‘Bye, Charlie.’ Unconsciously, he pecked her on the lips as he shuffled out the door, and he pulled away cautiously. It was the first time they had kissed in months and it felt like the most natural and comfortable thing in the world. ‘I wasn't thinking. Sorry.’ He said unsurely.

Charlie was initially startled at the unexpected gesture but quickly recovered. ‘No, don’t be.’ She whispered as she pulled his face back towards her. She held his cheek affectionately and kissed him more fully before he left. Closing the door behind Brax, Charlie bit her lip and leaned against the door dreamily.

‘Hey, Charlie.’ Ruby startled her as she stood by the fridge. A little flushed; Charlie greeted her and moved towards the fridge to pour herself some juice. Ruby looked at her intently, trying to see if she her face gave anything away but it didn’t. She had just witnessed a very intimate moment between her mum and Brax. Overcome with frustration and curiosity, she decided to get to the bottom of it.

‘You really like him, don’t you?’ Ruby asked, as Charlie leaned against the kitchen counter facing her.

Charlie nodded and bit her lip. ‘Yeah, I love him.’

‘Love?’ Her mum looked at her sheepishly. ‘Wow, you guys sure are moving fast, huh.’

‘Actually Rubes, I’ve loved him for a while. Since before everything.’

‘You’ve been with him for months? Oh my god.’ Ruby put two and two together. ‘So does that mean that Joel is-‘

Nodding her head again, Charlie watched as her daughter’s eyes widened in shock as she tried to process the information.

‘And you didn’t tell me.’ Seeing her mum’s saddened face, she regretted the comment and hugged her briefly. ‘Oh no, I’m not mad at you, just a little overwhelmed. As long as you’re happy, I’m good. Anyway, I’m supposed to meet Casey so I’ll see you soon, okay?’ She kissed her mum on the cheek and walked out the door.

Ruby and Casey came out of the water with their surfboards wet and refreshed from their afternoon surf. ‘You’re telling me that Joel was my nephew.’ Casey placed his board in the sand and dried his face with a towel and his girlfriend followed suit.

‘And my brother. Who would’ve thought, huh? I could’ve had a mini Brax for a brother. He would’ve been one cute baby too. If you Braxton’s have anything, it’s great genes.’

‘You’re pretty hot yourself, Rubes.’ Casey pecked her on the lips and became serious. ‘You know, I’ve been thinking. If Joel’s Brax’ kid, then that would explain why Heath and Brax weren’t getting along. As far as excuses go, I’d say losing a kid’s a pretty good reason to get mad at him, after what happened.’

‘Do you think Heath knows? About his nephew, I mean?’

Casey observed as Ruby put on a light sundress on top of her bikini. ‘Only one way to find out, right?’ He grabbed her hand and walked to Angelo’s, eager for answers. When they reached the restaurant, they found Brax sitting at the centre table, consumed in paperwork. Noticing the company, he glanced up and greeted the teenagers.

‘Hey, can we talk to you?’ Brax gestured at the chair next to him and Ruby sat on it while Casey leaned against the back of her chair.

‘Charlie told me about Joel and you guys. I guess we are just a little overwhelmed.’

Brax looked a little surprised that Charlie had told her about their affair but true to his nature, he never once revealed this on his face. ‘Why don’t I get some pizza for lunch and we’ll all go over to your place and you can ask me and Charlie anything.’

Ruby nodded and when the three of them returned, they found Charlie, distanced and worried about her daughter’s reaction. Once they had established a sense of ease in the frail woman, they sat down on the couch, talking and connecting, as the kids asked the adults anything and everything.

Later that night, before taking his little brother home, Brax held Charlie by the waist kissed her goodbye as passionately as humanely possible, trying to make for lost time.

Thanks for the feedback as always. just thought I'd let you guys know, that this chapter's got a sex scene in it.

Before

She looked at herself in the full length mirror. Her dark brown hair fell in soft waves, enhancing the envious green of her eyes. Her neck, long and graceful held a small, beautiful face, and glancing down, she saw large, perky breasts, swollen from her pregnancy. These admirable features lay above the flat abyss that was her belly, void of a child. Charlie stroked her stomach, outlining each and every scar left by her accident, some reaching down between her legs and down her thighs, and in a fit of self-loath and anger, she punched the mirror, fragments of broken glass mixing with the blood dripping from her hand.

After

They kissed all the time. In the kitchen, in the backyard, on the couch and in the bedroom. Each kiss was more electrifying and intense than the next and Brax and Charlie couldn’t get enough of each other. As Brax held his girlfriend as she slept, he couldn’t help but feel that something was missing. As amazing as the kissing was, he was beginning to desire more than the occasional fondle. He wanted to respect her need to wait, but at times like these, admiring the contours of her delicate face, and the curves her petite body made as it wrapped around his, that was enough to make any guy insane.

Charlie opened her eyes and gazed at him intently. Without breaking eye contact, Brax held her face in his large hands and leaned in so close that their lips almost touched. She met his lips halfway and the two indulged in a passionate and loving embrace.

Caught in the moment, Brax slid into place on top of her and grabbed her by the waist, pulling her body towards him. He caressed her body with his hand, worshipping every curve and bend in the young woman’s enviable silhouette. Their kiss deepened and slowed as the lovers indulged in every second. As they held each other, Brax’ hand unconsciously slipped under Charlie’s slip and up her thigh, stroking the large white scars on her skin.

Inconspicuously, Charlie guided his hand away from her leg. Brax was so undeniably in awe of the woman under him that he didn’t notice this gesture as apprehension and reached for her again. ‘Stop.’ She managed to moan into his mouth, in between kisses.

‘Why? Everything okay?’ He stopped touching her completely and instead proceeded to lay soft kisses on her neck and chin. Out of nowhere, Charlie pushed him off her and ran out of the room in a rush, leaving Brax lying on her bed, full of shock and concern.

Before

She took hold of Charlie’s bleeding hand and dried off the blood with a towel. The shards of glass were extracted carefully out of her skin, gently and caringly. Getting a bandage from the first aid kit, she commenced in wrapping her friend’s hand slowly. Looking at her face as she did so, Leah could only see sadness and despair.

After

Charlie sat crying on the beach as Leah tried to comfort her. Her sobs were so uncontrollable that she could barely speak. After dashing out of her house, she had run straight into her backyard, still in her slip. ‘What’s wrong?’ Leah put down her novel and held her roommate in her arms.

Charlie looked up at Leah with watery eyes. The newly formed scars on her skin had brought life to her once dormant insecurities and downed her self-esteem. ‘I don’t want Brax to think I’m ugly.’ She whispered her voice as soft and innocent as a baby’s.

‘He’s not going to think that, honey. Why would he? You’re beautiful.’ Leah tried to protest but Charlie lifted her skirt up her thigh and revealed her blemished skin.

‘You think this is beautiful? Who would love this?’ Charlie burst into tears again. She was so scared and remembering how he used to look at her when they first met, she didn’t want to lose that. She didn’t want her scars to be a constant reminder of what could have been and what was lost. The scars that had been put there by his brother, and that had destroyed their hope. She was marked and damaged with the remnants of brutal violence, and her mind had long convinced itself that no man, not even Brax would accept it.

‘Brax would and you know it. He would love every inch of you, inside and out. I’ve seen it.’ Leah put her hand into Charlie’s. ‘He loves you. For better or worse. Deep down, I think you know that. You know, he’s not going to care about a couple of marks.’

Deep down, Charlie was terrified of rejection but Leah was right. He loved her and she was terrified of disappointing him. And terrified of betraying Joel too. She felt that engaging in the act that had created him would be a betrayal, but she knew the only way to confront her fears was to face them.

Later that day, in the bedroom, Brax was surprised to find Charlie come in and shut the door behind her. He tried to speak and apologize but she dismissed it and took hold of her spaghetti straps, sliding them off her shoulder. As she did this slowly and fearfully, her eyes, full of tears maintained eye contact with Brax’ mesmerized ones. Captivatedly, he watched the straps slowly slide down her arm, gradually revealing her breasts and watched as her slip dropped to her feet.

In that moment, Charlie felt vulnerable as she bared all to the man she loved; body, mind and soul. Her every fear and insecurity was as much on display to Brax’ loving eyes as the abundance of geometric scars which blemished her lower abdomen and thighs.

Brax reached for the naked woman standing vulnerably in tears before him and held her gently. ‘You’re beautiful.’ He whispered in her ear as tears flowed down Charlie’s face. He grabbed her delicate face in both hands and held her gaze, wiping off her tears with his thumbs. Leaning down, he kissed her, tried to emanate all the love he possibly could.

Their kiss deepened. Charlie grabbed onto his lean black shirt and pulled it up, revealing Brax’ toned and tattooed chest. They moved backwards, their lips never leaving the other’s and fell onto the bed. After they had fumbled his buckles open, he laid Charlie onto the bed gently.

Their eyes gazed lovingly at each other, admiring their naked bodies. Brax leaned down and kissed her neck, moving slowly across her body with his lips, exploring every crevice and curve as intently and enthusiastically as an explorer. His embrace slowed as he traced his lips along each and every one of her scars, appreciating her entire body, blemishes and all. ‘I love you.’ He whispered, his lips never once leaving her skin.

‘I love you too.’ Charlie ran her hands along Brax’ fit body. She felt the large biceps wrapping themselves around her and touched every toned muscle on his body. Brax leaned up, and they kissed, more passionately and fervently than ever, as they made love for the first time in months.

After words, Charlie lay with her head on Brax’ chest, her fingers gently outlining the tattooed letters on his chest absentmindedly. Silently, they enjoyed their love for each other and felt unimaginable peace and content. Gazing into his eyes, Charlie knew that Brax’ dodgy past had little relevance to her love for him. She would love him, surely and truly, regardless of her job, his indiscretions or anyone else’s opinion. None of it mattered. Only being with him. For the first time in a very long time, she could honestly say she was happy. As they fell asleep in each other’s arms, Charlie and Brax knew for certain that there would be many more moments like this, for the rest of their lives.

1 week ago

As her thirty year old son spoke the dreaded words she had hoped she would never have to hear, her face dropped. She felt like melting away into her bed and never coming out. She saw the words emanating out of Brax’ mouth but the words themselves were inaudible. Who was going to look after her if he moved out? And with Charlie Buckton too. Didn’t he know what kind of person she was? First Heath, now Brax. Cheryl cursed the cop in her head, and could only see Charlie as a parasitic snake that was tearing apart her family, one son at a time.

After

Leah walked into the crowded kitchen in the morning and barely managed to squeeze her way to the back counter. She nudged past VJ, bumped into Ruby, scrambled in between Brax and the table before crashing straight into Charlie, who spilled cold juice all over both women. Leah groaned as she looked down at her white silk blouse, now effectively stained with a splash of orange. As much as she loved the company, it was getting far too crowded and she was glad Charlie and Brax had decided to move into Nicole’s old place soon.

Once Leah had scrambled, prodded and dodged her way back out of the congested kitchen to change her stained blouse, the kids went off to enjoy their summer holidays and Charlie and Brax were left to their own devices. Charlie had volunteered to return with her boyfriend to the Braxton home and help pack up his things, ready for the move. They finished their breakfast and spent the entire day in Brax’ childhood home sorting through his room, while Cheryl was at work. Somewhere between lunch and dinner, a bottle of wine had been opened, and they unwound after a long day of labour.

‘I’m so tired.’ Charlie crashed flat onto the double bed in fatigue. Brax put down his wine glass and walked over to her, sitting by her side on the bed and leaned into her face. ‘You know, this is the first time I’ve been in your room.’

Brax smiled and stroked the hair out of her face. ‘Well, I’m glad you got to see it. I think I just might miss this place. There’s thirty years of memories in this house. School, surfing, fights, girls.’

Charlie smiled cheekily. ‘Girls? You bring any home to this bed?’ She stroked his large bicep playfully. ‘Should I be jealous?’

‘Very.’ Brax brazenly bit her ear teasingly. ‘Nah. They’ve got nothing on you. They’re not nearly as beautiful. Or as dirty.’ Grinning, he leaned in and kissed her wantonly.

3 hours ago

He laid a gentle kiss on Charlie’s sleeping head before getting up. The forecast had predicted amazing swells on Wilson’s beach and he wasn’t about to let it go to nothing. Grabbing a towel and board shorts, he walked out of his garage bedroom and strolled to the beach with his surfboard in tow. Scanning the horizon, Brax saw the huge waves crashing and felt at ease.

After

Cheryl saw the naked woman asleep on her stomach in her son’s bed, barely covered in a thin white blanket and marched up to the bed and turned on the radio alarm at full volume, startling her awake abruptly.

‘Huh, morning.’ Charlie rubbed her eyes and opened them to find her boyfriend’s mum leering over her. The light was too bright and she was still half asleep. She self-consciously lifted up the blanket to try and be as modest as possible, although this proved to be quite a challenge given the bare length of the material.

‘No. It’s not good morning. It’s half past eleven. It’s practically afternoon.’ Cheryl’s voice was calm and almost passive aggressive. She gestured to the half-drunk wine glasses and half-empty pizza boxes strewn in disarray. ‘Now, I really don’t think this is very healthy.’

‘Huh?’ Charlie squinted against the light barely making out the face looming over her. And groaned. ‘What’s not?’

‘Sex and alcohol all night. Sleeping in all day. Look at that, all the colour’s going from your face, as we speak. It’s just not very practical now, is it? And with my son too. You should be ashamed of yourself.’

‘I should?’ Charlie now sat up on her elbows, slowly regaining consciousness of her whereabouts. She vaguely remembered the pizza being delivered, wine being poured and the kisses being given and received and looked to her side, wondering where Brax was. She couldn’t believe this was the way she was meeting his mother.

‘Yes, now that you’ve had your fun with Darryl, I really think you should consider leaving.’ Charlie looked up at her blankly, wondering what this woman was going on about. Cheryl gathered the floral print dress from the floor and thrust it in the poor woman’s face who struggled to put it on. Charlie tried to protest but the older woman hushed her with an aggressive smile.

‘Now, come on, get dressed and take your trash home. My son doesn’t want it.’ At that moment, Brax walked through the door, fresh from surfing, seemingly embarrassed to find his unimpressed mum standing over his half naked girlfriend.

‘I think that’s for me to decide, don’t you? Mum, I see you’ve met Charlie.’ Brax slowly walked over to the bed and stood next to his mum. Cheryl nodded.

The two Braxtons glanced at Charlie as she modestly tried to put the dress over her head and cover her naked body. Her face flushed crimson as the older woman so blatantly pointed out her compromising position. Finally dressed, she stood up as Brax put his arm around her.

‘Um, it’s nice to see you, Mrs Braxton.’ Charlie nervously glanced at the deathly sweet face in front of her.

‘I’d say the same, but it turns out I’ve seen a little too much of you for my liking.’ She purposefully brought attention down to the disrobed underwear on the floor. For modesty’s sake, an embarrassed Charlie thought it best to not put them back on in front of her. Cheryl was determined to remain hostile. The young woman in front of her was the reason for Heath’s absence and she was now taking Darryl away from her too. There was no way they would receive her blessing.

Charlie and Brax inconspicuously glanced at each other as an awkward silence overcame the trio. Brax was unimpressed with his mother; she was not even bothering to make an effort. The two women he loved most dearly remained indifferent to each other. Sensing the unease, Charlie politely made excuses about having to be somewhere else and left.

‘Mum, I love her.’ Brax began after lending Charlie her car to return home in. ‘Would it have killed you to at least try to be interested?’

‘That would be a lie now, wouldn’t it? I thought I taught you better than to condone lying.’ Cheryl walked into the living area to get a drink out of the fridge and Brax followed her, thinking about how much he had lied in the past few years. ‘I’m not going to pretend to be something I’m not so that spoilt little rich girl can feel good about herself. I love you too much to allow that.’

‘Mum, don’t talk about her like that.’ Brax was beginning to raise his voice in anger. ‘This may be hard for you to hear, but she makes me happy. I get you’re upset but things change. I have to move on with my life some time. And if it’s with Charlie, that’s my decision. If you love me, you need to let go.’

Cheryl chose to ignore every word that had been uttered from her son’s mouth. ‘She’ll suck you dry. Mark my words, she’ll suck you dry. And you’ll come running to me when she does.’

12 hours ago

She sneaked in through the driveway and checked to make sure she had everything. Walking into her son’s room and finding him fast asleep with that disgusting excuse for a woman made her sick and she just knew she had to get rid of Charlie. Her presence in Brax’ life was poisonous to Cheryl’s relationship with him and she would stop at nothing to make sure he was taken care of. She pulled back her hand and threw the heavy object at the window and ran off as the sound of crashing glass penetrated the still night air.

After

Charlie got home from the Braxton house feeling a little shocked. Not only had she just met Brax’ mother in the nude, but in her rush to dash out of there, she had left her panties behind and was forced to return home with only a flimsy dress as cover. Parking Brax’ large car in the driveway, she walked towards the back of her house only to find a startling scene. Shards of broken glass fell in a heap in front of the damaged window, and Ruby sat carefully clearing up the mess. Charlie looked down at Ruby and asked what had happened.

‘Some idiot threw a brick through our window last night. You just missed the cops, but they’ll be back later to interview you and Leah, I guess. They wanted to know if I knew anyone with a grudge, but I couldn’t think of anyone who’d do this, can you?’ Ruby looked up at Charlie who shook her head in disbelief. ‘An envelope was taped to the brick too saying ‘Stay Away’ on the front. Watson took it as evidence before I looked inside it.’

Charlie bent down carefully and helped Ruby clear the deck and kitchen. Shortly after they had finished, and after Ruby had left, the newly appointed Sergeant Watson returned. ‘Charlie, how are you? I’m sorry about your house. Do you know anyone who might have done this?

‘So am I. I don’t know how much help I can be. No one comes to mind.’ It never occurred to Charlie to consider Cheryl Braxton as a potential suspect. In her mind, she was just a harmless upset mother. Watson took this into account before showing her a photocopy of the note that had been attached to the brick.

Charlie looked down at the pieces of paper in her hand. All were disgusting, horrific pictures of things she didn’t want to remember. Police photographs of her blood splattered on the side of the warehouse. A personal one of Brax with the river boys back in the day and of Heath standing next to a blue and bruised river boy, all smiling and comradely. Another one of Brody and Pee Wee getting high and more police photographs of the warehouse drug bust; Brax’ crashed car, the barn load of pot, and Joel’s body. All reminders of the river boy capacity and all designed to offset Charlie.

And it worked. As Charlie looked down at the images she wanted so badly to forget, she was flooded with unsettling feelings and began to question herself. Did she really forgive Brax or was he just there at a time when she needed him most? The images in front of her were making her begin to doubt her judgement and she tried her best to dismiss the thoughts. Whoever had sent this message was clearly intent on messing with her head and she couldn’t let them win.

Georgina watched curiously as Charlie’s facial expression changed slowly from clarity to doubt and back and forth. ‘Some one clearly wanted to make their feelings known. Fingerprints won’t be back for a week at best so we won’t know for sure who sent those.’ Secretly, Georgina applauded the person who had done so, even if they had done so by illegal means. It was about time someone protested on the obscene relationship.

Charlie gave back the papers in shock, unable to speak so Georgina went on. ‘You look better.’ Charlie nodded in agreement and replied that she was. ‘Listen, I know you have something going on with Darryl Braxton and that’s your prerogative but you also have a duty to the force and the law.’

‘What are you getting at?’

‘The drug bust with the river boys. You told me that you overheard the Braxton brothers talking about the warehouse. I know you weren’t in any shape to testify when the case went to court but-‘

Charlie’s eyes widened as she realised what her friend was getting at. ‘You want me to testify against Brax.’ She stated calmly.

‘I know it won’t do much but it’s all we have at the moment. We’re slowly trying to rebuild a case against him. If you refuse I can get the court to subpoena you as a witness. You may be on leave and be involved with Darryl Braxton but you have a responsibility.’

Charlie wondered how her life had come to this. She had desperately hoped that this day wouldn’t come but on some level, she had been expecting Georgina to come knocking on her door. She wondered how the right thing to do could feel so wrong. Sighing deeply, Charlie knew in her heart what she had to do but she couldn’t comprehend how the world, which had once had been so black and white in her eyes, had turned so gray, all because of one man.

Later, Georgina walked back into the station feeling a little overwhelmed and ran straight into a tall man with a familiar light brown mane of hair. Looking up startled, she stared up at the face of Angelo Rosetta who gestured to her office. ‘I think you might be interested in what I have to say.’

Before

He walked out of the store, nerves bundling, and put his miniature purchase in his pocket. If anyone had asked him a year ago that he was going to do this, he would probably have laughed in their face. This would be the most important, most terrifying thing Brax had ever done and as he cautiously double checked that the small blue box was still in his pocket where he put it a second ago, he felt unbelievably happy.

After

Brax walked into the Buckton house to find the window smashed in and Charlie sitting on the couch, in deep thought. ‘Hey, what happened to the window? Is everything okay?’

Charlie nodded unconvincingly and leaned into his broad chest as he sat next to her and put his arm around her casually. ‘Someone threw a brick through but its fine now.’ She didn’t mention the obscenities attached to the brick or her conversation with Georgina. Brax looked at her unconvinced. ‘I’m fine, really.’

‘If you say so,’ Brax kissed her forehead worried. ‘I brought over all the boxes we packed yesterday. I’ll go back tonight and finish up once mum heads out. She’s not really in the right headspace at the moment.’

Charlie listened blankly to Brax’ heartbeat as it made regular thumps against her ear. It was strangely calming and almost made her forget that Georgina Watson had ever come over. Almost. Sitting there in his arms, she couldn’t imagine the man she loved doing such horrible things but she knew it was true. There was nothing she could do to change the past; she had learnt as much from her experience with Joel. She silently cursed the world for being so unfair.

‘I love you so much.’ Charlie whispered vulnerably into Brax’ chest and kissed him gently on the cheek.

‘I love you too.’ Brax reciprocated the gesture more intently. ‘I’ve been thinking. I want to take you out tonight. We’ve been out in the open for months and it’s about time you get treated to a proper date. How about it? I’ll go home and finish up and pick you up later tonight.’

Charlie nodded and smiled weakly. That was exactly what she needed. A night out with the love of her life. She knew it wouldn’t solve all her problems but she needed the down time.

Before

She grinned as she walked Angelo out. Although she had never been a big fan of Rosetta, she admired his work ethic. Even without a badge and gun, he still managed to get the dirt on the bad guy. He had just helped her hit the gold mine on the Braxton case and as she set about rallying up her officers for the big bust that night; Georgina couldn’t keep the smile off her face.

After

When Cheryl got home from work, she couldn’t believe it when her eldest son had told her he was having dinner with Charlie. She had been so sure that a reminder of Brax’ indiscretions would ward her away from him but it didn’t work. The crime scene photographs had been accessible to her while Heath and his lawyer had been preparing for his trial two months ago and she had been so positive that it would rile the law abiding Sergeant. Personally, Cheryl felt Heath’s personal photos were an exceptionally nice touch, even for her. Inviting yet sinister; all photos of the river boys, all of smiling friends but with the faintest undertone of crime.

Brax stood in his room, now void of any reminiscence of his existence in it. All remnants had been carefully packed in boxes or lay in the trash. He was showered, dressed and ready for the most important date of his life. If everything went accordingly, his life would change forever.

The doorbell rang but Brax ignored it hoping his mum would get it. After a while, the bell rang again, this time followed by rapping on the door. Rolling his eyes at his mum’s stubbornness, he started towards the door but hightailed back, remembering he had forgotten the most important thing. Reaching into his drawer, he retrieved the small jewellery box and opened it, revealing a 24 carat emerald cut diamond engagement ring. It was way out of his price range but it was worth it. Only the best for Charlie Buckton.

Brax slipped the engagement ring into his trouser pocket and smiling contently, reached to open the front door, only to have his smile wipe straight off his face. Red and blue lights lit up the night in his street as Sergeant Watson greeted him with handcuffs.

Before

He woke up to find his mum crying on the couch. Last night, he had come home to an empty house and wondered where his mum had been all night. Through her tears, Cheryl told her son what had happened to Brax. She also made it clear that she blamed Charlie Buckton for yet another family disaster, but Casey didn’t take this last part into account. He wondered if Charlie knew, and decided to call Ruby to see if the news had travelled to the bay.

After

Charlie sat on the couch in her black sheath dress, waiting for Brax. He was two hours late and she was beginning to worry as her call went straight to his voicemail for the fifth time. Impatient, she stood up and walked around unhinged, and hit the dial button again. Voicemail. ‘Brax, it’s me. Where are you? You’re late and it’s late and I can’t wait any longer, so I guess I’m going to go to sleep. Night’

The next morning, Charlie checked her phone but there was still no reply from her boyfriend. Getting dressed, she decided to check Angelo’s to see if he was at work, but the manager said he wasn’t there either. She had no idea where he could be, and walking out of the surf club building, sick with worry, she saw an unexpected face looking out towards the ocean. Angelo Rosetta. The last Charlie had seen of her ex was the day he had left with Nicole and George and their friendship had been strained.

Angelo looked beside him as the young woman walked up to him. ‘Charlie Buckton.’

‘In the flesh and blood.’ Charlie sensed a little unease in his voice. ‘What brings you back into town? Is Nicole and the baby with you?’

‘No. They stayed in the city. Nic’s opening up her boutique and it’s pretty hectic for her at the moment, especially with a one year old. I just came down to take care of some unfinished business and I’m back as soon as it’s over.’ He had hoped to keep a low profile while he was in the bay, and considering the reason for his return, Charlie was the last person he had wanted to run into. He was after all, trying to imprison Darryl Braxton and he wasn’t prepared to explain this to her.

Although they hadn’t left on the best terms, - he hadn’t been too pleased with her relationship with Brax- Charlie was still pleased to see the man who had been such a big part of her life once upon a time. She noticed he had gotten a little bulkier and his tan had faded from city life, but he looked good. ‘So, what’re you doing out and about this early in the day? I didn’t think you were a morning person.’

‘I was actually looking for Brax at the restaurant but he didn’t seem to be there.’ Angelo seemed a little surprised to hear she was still with him. ‘Yeah, I’m still with him. We’re moving in together soon, actually. Into Roman’s place.’ Just then her phone rang. Answering it, Charlie heard Ruby’s distressed voice on the other end giving her the bad news.

2 days ago

He had thought that the affair with Charlie and Brax was a fling. He had thought that Charlie would come to her senses. There had been little doubt in his mind that the whole debacle was long over until Ruby called Nicole to catch up and told her otherwise. As Angelo packed his duffel bag, he packed the CCTV footage under his shirts and zipped the bag, ready for the hour drive back to the bay. Blackmailing Brax for his silence wouldn’t work anymore and he was determined to protect Charlie from making a criminal mistake and once and for all put an end to Darryl Braxton’s corruption.

After

Sergeant Watson walked into the interview room and smugly sat herself in front of Darryl Braxton and his hot shot lawyer, under the unflattering fluorescent light. There was no doubt in her mind that he would go away for a long time. The evidence was too good to be true. Turning on the recorder, she began her interrogation. ‘Darryl, do you know why you’re here tonight?’

‘I have a feeling you’re about to tell me.’ Brax rolled his eyes at the use of his first name and sat back in the chair, folding his arms defensively.

‘Why don’t I just show you?’ Georgina turned on the small television which displayed CCTV footage of Angelo’s 6 months back, in June. She arrogantly skipped through to the most relevant material; Brax and Heath discussing the illicit hospitalization of their friend, Brax and the river boys planning a drug deal, Brax and Heath arranging the warehouse drug clearance. The evidence was extensive and these little excerpts were only scraping the surface.

‘You’re right.’ Georgina interrupted Brax’ lawyer before he had a chance to open his mouth. ‘Our friend Angelo isn’t the current owner of Angelo’s and has no claim to this footage. That’s why I got a warrant for the tapes. Every single one of them containing every single sordid detail of your every transgression. Most of your friends on that video, including your brother are already serving time so that just leaves you to join them. I always love a family reunion, don’t you?’

As the sergeant talked, all Brax could think about was Charlie. He wondered if she had heard already and how she would react. He was stuck in a corner and there was no way out, and if he was sure of one thing in the middle of his demise, it has that he didn’t want Charlie to pay for his mistakes. He didn’t want her to waste her life waiting for him to pay his debts to society. The best thing for her was to move on from the mistake that was Darryl Braxton and find happiness elsewhere.

Thanks for the comments. Just a heads up, this next chapter jumps to 8 months in the future where Charlie and Brax are broken up and Brax just got out of jail. Hope you enjoy. :rolleyes:

8 months ago

His lawyer looked at him seriously and asked him to consider the plea bargain. An eighteen month sentence with parole was a lot less than the fifteen years he would be facing if he was found guilty in court. He could return to his life in no time, with or without Charlie. The selfish side of him wanted to ask Charlie to wait for him but deep down he could not bear to think of her waiting lonelily for him to get out of jail. Brax looked at his lawyer and agreed to the terms. It was about time he took responsibility for his actions.

After

Charlie walked along the beach and felt the cool August wind brush against her face. As she enjoyed the bright sun, she remained blissfully unaware of the man walking out of the water in front of her, until they neared each other. Seeing each other again was a mutual shock for both parties and as Brax saw her, he smiled in surprise. Although he had ended things with her eight months ago, he had never stopped loving her. ‘Hi.’

‘Brax, hi.’ They danced around one another awkwardly and embraced in a brief hug, before letting go, their eyes mesmerized on each other. ‘Um, how are you?’

‘I’m good. I thought I’d get my first taste of freedom out on the water, so.’ He gestured towards the ocean nervously.

‘Yeah, Casey mentioned you got out this morning.’ Completely enthralled, Charlie could not help but smile. Gazing up at Brax’ face, she saw that he couldn’t stop either.

‘Do you want to get a coffee or something and catch up or-?’

‘I can’t. I actually have, uh, this dinner thing I’m supposed to go to, sorry.’ She gestured to her cocktail dress

‘A dinner thing, like a date?’

‘No. I mean, yeah. I guess it’s kind of a dinner, date kind of thing.’ Charlie didn’t know why it was so hard for her to tell him

that. It’s been months since they broke up but she felt like she had to make excuses. ‘It’s really more of a first date really, I mean, Ruby set it up and I didn’t really want to, um, I should probably- ‘

‘Yeah, you don’t want to be late. I should get going too. Get out of these wet clothes.’ Brax was disappointed to hear about her date. She was moving on. ‘I guess I’ll just see you around then.’

‘Yeah, around.’ Charlie and Brax walked away, sneakily looking back at each other as they did so, silently praising the sparks that had flown between them during their conversation.

Before

She looked at her mother with conviction, not prepared to take no for an answer. Charlie had been house bound for months, isolated from the rest of mankind, more specifically men. It was like she had given up entirely on romance and Ruby was not going to take that lightly. Desperation had called for an intervention. And there was only one source for the romantically desperate. Internet dating.

After

Charlie couldn’t concentrate during her date but it wasn’t all due to her brief encounter with Brax on the beach, although she couldn’t stop thinking about seeing him. She was surprised to find that their electrical chemistry had remained intact during their separation. It had felt so comfortable, almost like nothing had changed. She was also vaguely aware that she was having dinner with a balding, self-involved finance advisor who was going on and on and on about how incredible his life is. Yeah right, incredibly boring.

‘Charlie?’ Charlie snapped back to reality at the mention of her name to find her date, Greg, looking at her. ‘Charlie, did you want desert after dinner? We could get gelato from downstairs?’

She shook her head politely. Gelato. She remembered her first date with Brax and smiled. Gelato on the beach. That had been some dessert. Looking across the table, she could say with no doubt in her mind that there would be no dessert after this date.

A brooding figure captured her attention as he walked into the restaurant, sporting his easy swagger and stride. Charlie couldn’t believe it as Brax walked towards the bar and started conferring with the manager. Twice in two hours, it was like fate. Although she was facing away from the bar, she could feel his presence looming behind her as strongly as a magnet, pulling her away from her table.

Brax listened as his manager briefly filled him on how Angelo’s had been doing while he was gone, but he found it hard to concentrate. The scene of Charlie with another man was too distracting and unnatural. His eyes were drawn to her as if she was pulling him to her but he tried his very best to dismiss it. He felt a presence and looking up, he saw Charlie walking up to him at the bar, looking as immaculate as ever, and his heart started racing. Dismissing the manager, he met Charlie with and uneasy smile.

‘Hi, can I have a glass of wine?’ Charlie settled her arms on the bar uneasily.

Brax picked up a glass and set it in front of her. ‘There are waiters who could’ve gotten this for you. You didn’t have to walk over here.’

‘Yeah, I know.’ She bit her lip nervously. ‘I guess I just wanted an excuse to come over.’ Brax smiled at this remark as he

poured her drink as slowly as he could, not wanting her to leave.

After some momentary silence, Brax continued. ‘I’ve missed you.’ Charlie smiled happily as he slid the full wine glass to her, and the two gazed across the bar lovingly, undeniably attracted to each other.

‘I moved into the house we rented. You should come over tonight.’ Brax was left mesmerized at the invitation while Charlie walked back to her table.

The rest of the night went considerably heated. Covert glances and smiles sent the restaurant temperature past boiling point as anticipation and impatience threaded itself quietly around the distant lovers as they waited expectantly until the end of the night.

Archived