Ruby Was A Pretty Girl With A Dull Personality

Guest Traceve

Story Title: Ruby was a pretty girl with a dull personality.

Type of story: One-shot

Main Characters: Nicole, Ruby and small mentions of other teen characters.

BTTB rating: T

Genre: Romance, Comedy

Does story include spoilers: No.

Any warnings: No.

Summary: School dance, Niff (Nicole and Geoff) broke up a few weeks prior to the dance because he choose to be with Melody. I simply choose this pairing for this particular story because this forum needs another dash of femslash. Hey, just picture them together... then you'll understand. After this I actually am starting to ship them. :unsure::rolleyes:

Prompt: Everyone had a partner but me. What was I supposed to do now?

I stood on the other side of the room with all the other girls and watched as each boy stood forward and chose a girl to dance with. There was uneven number so I was left standing there alone, no one had picked me, Nicole. I didn’t understand it, why had no one picked me? I don’t have tickets on myself and I don’t think I’m hot, but I am pretty. Maybe boys don’t go for pretty girls anymore, maybe their starting to go for personality. Even that didn’t explain why Melody Jones had a dancing partner, who happened to be my ex boyfriend Geoff. I didn’t really care though, I hated school dances, Dad had to convince me to come. I turned around and saw that Ruby was pouring herself a drink, where was her dancing partner? She as a pretty girl with a dull personality, so maybe that was why.

I walked over to her anyways to find out, not that I'm nosey. She didn't notice I was standing there for a couple of seconds until I tapped on her shoulder.

"Hey," she looked up," Do you want a drink?"

I shook my head,” Where is your dancing partner?"

"I don't have one, no one picked me."

"Oh, I thought Xavier might of..." I trailed off when I saw him dancing with some random brunette girl from year ten.

"Apparently I'm not hot property, but I don't care," Ruby rolled her eyes and put down her drink, "Do you want to dance?"

"With you? But I'm not..."

"Gay?" Ruby laughed," Just because two girls dance together that doesn't mean anything."

I smiled, she had a point, "If you say so," I held out my hand. Ruby took it and lead me to the dance floor.

She led me near the middle of the dance floor. The couples around us started to stare. They'd obviously never seen two girls dance before. Ruby didn't notice, she reached for my other hand and put it on her waist.

She looked up at me and smiled, "Follow my lead."

I obeyed her and did my best to keep up. I stepped on her toes a couple of times before finally getting used to it and as soon as I had the song finished. The couples broke apart to applaud the band, for some reason or another Ruby was still holding my hand, I didn’t think much of it.

After a short break the band began to play another tune, this time it was a song I knew. It was by Ronan Keating and it was called I Hope You Dance.

Ruby shuffled closer to me and rested her head on my shoulder, copying all the other couples. I should have told her not to, I should have spoken up when she did that, but I didn't because for some reason I liked her having her head on my shoulder. I should have stopped it then and there when I realised I liked it.

I could feel Xavier and Geoff's eyes staring at us, along with the rest of the schools, but I didn't care. I'm Nicole Franklin, I'm not meant to give a toss what everyone else thinks, and I don't. Not anymore.

I felt Ruby's hand creep up my back and rest upon my other shoulder. I let both my hands fall and rest on her waist as we slow danced along with the rest of the school.

As soon as the song finished I reluctantly pulled away. Ruby apparently sensed something was up because she suggested we go outside and talk. I agreed and followed her outside.

We sat down on the bench that Ruby usually sits at with Annie and Jai during recess and lunch. We both sat in silence for a few minutes until I spoke.

"This is silly, we're both mature young women and should talk about this like young adults."

"You're completely right, so you go first," Ruby giggled, "I'm sorry I just... you go first."

"Two girls slow dancing to a song doesn’t have to be this complicated."

"You think it's complicated?" Ruby asked.

"Yes, it is complicated when they both enjoy it and perhaps wanted to..." I trailed off and shook my head," This is silly."

"I have a confession to make."

"What?"

"I persuaded all the boys in our school not to dance with you or me, because I wanted to dance with you."

I was gob smacked, why would she do that? Apparently one of Ruby's other skills was mind reading because she looked at me and then continued on.

"I wanted to dance with you because I have a crush on you."

"You do?"

Ruby nodded and looked away, "Ever since casual day when you walked down the corridors wearing that skimpy short. I realise that is completely shallow and just like Xavier, but it's true. I haven't been able to get that image out of my head since," Ruby blushed.

"Ruby, that was three months ago."

"I know, I can't explain it. I like boys, I'm a boy lover, I worship boys, but for some reason I want to kiss you right now. I don't kiss girls, I don't."

Ruby didn't have to explain because I understood every word she was saying. I nodded and she finally looked up and faced me.

"Please tell me your not completely freaked out, that you’re not going to rush home without a word and vomit."

I laughed, "I'm not freaked out. I'm actually flattered."

"You are?" Ruby stuttered.

"Yeah, I kind of like you too."

"You do?" Ruby looked relived.

I nodded and put my hand on her shoulder, "If it's ok with you I'm going to kiss you now."

"It's ok with me," she nodded slightly.

I leaned in and pressed my lips against hers gently. Her hand snaked its way up to my cheek and cupped it as the kiss grew in passion.

At that point the thought of what I was going to tell my Father hadn't cross my mind. I guess I'll deal with that later, but for now, I was just going to enjoy my first kiss with Ruby.

Which was rudely interrupted when Aden and Belle came outside and caught us.

Maybe I'll have to tell my Dad now sooner than I thought.

Comments

Archived