Mel's Moved On...

Guest Becstar

Mel's moved on

December 09, 2005

Moving up in the world ... Melissa George.

SHE'LL happily talk about her Hollywood success and friendship with Jennifer Aniston, but Melissa George is no Angel on the topic of Home and Away.

The Perth girl who got her first big break on the Summer Bay set in 1994 was not at all keen to talk about her days as a teen soap queen when Confidential caught up with her yesterday.

"Nobody brings it up anymore, you're actually the first person that has," George sniffed.

"Alias really stopped that and since Amityville Horror came out nobody even mentions it. It's great, people just want to talk about nice projects - they know Home and Away was 13 years ago."

To borrow an expression from Summer Bay legend Alf Stewart - flamin' hell. We guess she won't be catching up with the likes of Kate Ritchie in Sydney then.

These days, George is a more sophisticated, selective version of the full-faced girl who, alongside Dieter Brummer, was one half of the 1990s' hottest TV couples.

Currently starring in the thriller Derailed with the "extraordinary, talented and fun-loving" Jennifer Aniston, it's been nine years since George has worked on an Aussie project.

But she's broken the drought by agreeing to star in Bryan Brown's upcoming Channel Nine drama, Two Twisted, because "you don't say no to Bryan Brown".

"I wanted to go away and prove myself and come home with a few more stars on my shirt," George said.

Done. Just don't mention the word Angel.

It may have been thirteen years ago... but it's what kick started your career! Maybe she should keep that in mind! Isla was on Home and Away ages ago as well, but she was happy to speak about it and catch up with Cast members like Kate. Maybe Mel should try following in her footsteps!

Hmm, I'm not sure whether to take that with a pinch of salt or not. The media are always desperate to portray stars as up-themselves, after all. But seeing as she got her big break playing one of the most popular characters on one of the most popular shows in Australia, it's a bit unrealistic to expect people never to mention it again.

I'ts not really..think about it ...if you were an actress and had done some movies and shows and all that anyone wanted to talk about was something you did 12 years ago..you'd be a bit pissed offf. She wants to be judged on what she is doing now, perhaps she just have phrased it better. Isla was nicer about it, she said the same thing about wanting to be judged on what she dos now, but did not seem dismissive and played the I am still the same old me card.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, actually Home and Away hardly helped her career overseas. The reason it took her so long to get work in Hollywood is that nobody over there has the faintest idea what Home and Away is.

She got there on her own, and it's only the Australians who think Home and Away might have had something to do with it.

Archived