The Book Thread

MarMar

I'm reading a gazzilion bloody books all at once because I'm an idiot and left all my holidays reading for school til the last 2 weeks. :(

Skull Beneath The Skin - P.D James. It's a murder myster and despite the incredibly annoying language it's really fantastic.

Frankenstien - Mary Shelley. I'm falling asleep just about typing it.

The Fiftieth Gate - Mark Raphael Baker

Hamlet - Shakespeare (play)

The Real Inspector Hound - Tom Stoppard. Not just a play but an absurdist play with makes it almost IMPOSSIBLE to understand when reading. I don't see why they make you read plays anyway, it's stupid. <_<

Urgh. All I wanna do is go read the copy of The Time Traveler's Wife I got for christmas. :(

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished Voyage of the Dawn Treader. It felt just like reading the Voyage of the Argo, which I love. Except the Argo didn't have an annoying little girl seeing all the special things all by herself because she's Aslan's perfect favourite and all the joy and wonder of all possible experiences must be reserverd for her and her alone... Does that get on anyone else's nerves about The Chronicles of Narnia, or just mine <_<?

Anyway... onto The Silver Chair now. Already half-way through it. It's such an easy book to read after Voyage of the Dawn Treader. The children aren't half so stuck up and irritating, and the other characters, like Puddlegum, are much easier to invest in. Puddlegum is morbidly depressing, but he doesn't mean to be, which is kind of amusing. I can relate :P It's also good not to be weighed down with nautical terms. I understand that when a book is set almost entirely on or around a ship like the Dawn Treader, it's hard to avoid, but I found it very distracting reading about the "poop" all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Sky My Husband by Jean-Loup Chiflet

It's more like a dictionary. This French author collected several French expressions and translated them literally in English. Obviously they don't mean anything but it's just hilarious. I love it! :lol: He also gives the real translation.

E.g.: A "chouette" means "owl".

Cette fille est très chouette.

This girl is very owl. :lol:

Real translation: This girl is great.

Urgh. All I wanna do is go read the copy of The Time Traveler's Wife I got for christmas

It's amazing. Try and read it as soon as you can. :)

At the moment i'm reading a journal about political elections in Botswana. It's boring and i really can't get into it. Think i'm going to email my tutor and tell him i can't make the discussion class tomorrow about it :lol:

Archived