The Book Thread

MarMar

I've been recommended "A Boy Called It" and the two other books by Dave Pelzer,  a true account of his life being held prisoner by his family, and his ultimate escape from it.  My cousin says you can't put it down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its quite hard to read when you know that it actually happened. The poor kid, I don't know how he survived it all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd agree with that but it's also a very good book. I'd recommend it.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got too many books to recommend, but I'll do so with a few anyway:

All Poppy Z Brite books

All Caitlin Kiernan books

The house of the spirits by Isabel Allende

Control Freak by Christa Faust

Mysterious skin by Scott Heim

The Virgin suicides and Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

Birdsong is fab, are you reading it for A-level? I did it a couple of years ago.

Majohn, I tried to read The Virgin Suicides but didn't like it so I gave up...is the film any good?

Oh and whoever was talking about Jodi Picoult, I've heard really good things about her but was always put off cos I thought her books might be a bit too American, if you know what I mean. Should I give them a go?

Birdsong is fab, are you reading it for A-level? I did it a couple of years ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup. For a war lit unit. We only had to read Regeneration, but you (I) can't read that and then not finish the trilogy. Then decided to read Birdsong. Only up to part 2 though, so no actual war bit yet. Apparently it gets amazing soon :lol:

I've been recommended "A Boy Called It" and the two other books by Dave Pelzer,  a true account of his life being held prisoner by his family, and his ultimate escape from it.  My cousin says you can't put it down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its quite hard to read when you know that it actually happened. The poor kid, I don't know how he survived it all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes its excellent. The sad thing is that he is not alone in what he has suffered . There are thousands of children who suffer the same fate and we don't notice until its too late.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've read it too, there are other books in the series.

Archived